Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY cable, Pictures of DIY cables (DIY)

views

Tachikoma
post Jul 14 2006, 10:36 AM

Dot
2,845 posts

One question about coax interconnects... if I want to use BNC plugs, does that mean the RCA output-input plugs have to be changed too?
Tachikoma
post Jul 14 2006, 09:58 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

I was hoping BNC plugs would "fit in" RCA plugs anyway xD or is it the other way around? Cables using RCA to fit into BNC plugs... or do both sides need to be BNC doh.gif
Tachikoma
post Oct 2 2006, 12:30 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

QUOTE(valve_300b @ Oct 2 2006, 12:27 PM)
i couldn't agree on that, i brought cable for their characteristic and sound and not look. Ya networking might teach u how to spot a bad cable, but it doesn't teach you how to spot a good or bad sounded cable. It's your ear which can decide that.

Since you care about the look of the cable rather than listen to them, then i don't suppose your ear can make much decision. Hope you enjoy looking at your system smile.gif
notworthy.gif

Genius. Pure genius.
Tachikoma
post Oct 2 2006, 11:42 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

I'm not even bothering with networking specifics when it comes to audio cable like

- Capacitance
- Resistance
- Inductance
- Crosstalk
- Attenuation
- Impedence Mismatch
- Reflection
- Low and High Frequency Shielding (foil/braid)

Why? because no ear can hear it, unless you're planning to make a cable run of 100 meters dahling blush.gif and the fact is, digital data is a few million times faster and more complex. So i kind of select attributes where i need them. It's not like i take into context the shelf life of canned goods, true, it's a factor, but not an important one.

First of all, how much do you know about analogue signal transmission? How did you conclude that only digital data is affected by the aforementioned attributes? (inductance and capacitance are key considerations in speaker/headphone/interconnect cable design.. among other things) Have you experimented with cables making a statement as bold (literally tongue.gif) as that?

Many matters will defy theory and science.

I honestly doubt that. Mankind simply hasn't discovered everything yet.

This post has been edited by Tachikoma: Oct 2 2006, 11:50 PM
Tachikoma
post Oct 3 2006, 09:47 AM

Dot
2,845 posts

what that test proved was that cables and pre-conceived perceptions don't match, not *necessarily* that differences cannot be heard =P not to mention that when differences were heard ... well better material =/= better sound for each person.

What they should have included was a 4th option: they're all the same! tongue.gif *I'm sure someone else already suggested that on head-fi*
Tachikoma
post Oct 3 2006, 06:12 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

i can gurantee you that FLAC have some losses....because the josh groban song clip at certain place. it;s very minor one . but i can hear it.
i tough my CD rom got problems, so i rip using external drive, and play using the same drive using CD.
result are the same. i have 13 version of josh groban first album in my computer. all ripped with different CD rom, DVD rom, DVD writer. so on so on. but while i play it back USING SAME OPTICAL DRIVE, the one directly play from CD always better.

If flac is lossy, we will hear the difference in the form of artifacts, not clipping. Apparently playback from HDDs isn't always a good thing >.>
Tachikoma
post Oct 3 2006, 07:48 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

i believe there are more treatments and the processes available of how the cable is made being kept secret by cable maker. That's why they don't bother explaining why their 99.99999% silver cable is different from others.

Its called OCC (ohno continuous cast), people do it for silver too =P how can it be "secret" anyway? Most cable companies don't exactly own entire factories dedicated to producing ultra-pure raw material - they buy large amounts of it from the people who are producing the raw material.

empire23: try google on OCC copper (http://www.vhaudio.com/images/occ.jpg)
and Cryogenic Treatment (http://www.vhaudio.com/cryo.html)

do u think your high end belden will bother doing that on the cable?
Does anyone know why Cryogenic treatment improves the sound? Even cable freaks aren't going to be so quick to back up this claim. OCC copper isn't THAT expensive btw, and a number of boutique cable makers don't even use bother using OCC copper. More importantly, Empire23 was comparing belden cables of equal purity with so called "high end" offerings, not OFC belden vs OCC copper.

Why don't u try explaining with maths and physics how to make audio sounds good without listening to it smile.gif

Math and physics can tell you how good/bad a cable is though... its just that certain "objectivists" claim that all cables are the same, yada yada.
Tachikoma
post Oct 5 2006, 11:50 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

What are you going to use that cable for wor? You have a balanced headphone that uses 4 pin XLR but you only have a headphone amp that uses 1/4'' plugs?
Tachikoma
post Nov 17 2006, 12:24 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

Umm.... can I ask for some help from you sifus? biggrin.gif My SRM-1 mk2 amp needs to be rewired to work with 117V before I ship to USA, but I can't do it myself (even though I have the instructions). Is anyone willing to help?

Of course I'll also bribe anyone who helps with my AKG K340 and a stax setup (for auditioning only lah) >_>
Tachikoma
post Nov 22 2006, 07:51 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

Actually... why would the cabling business be forced to stop after he goes back? Its not like he has to COD all of the time... pos laju lah biggrin.gif

Maybe I should just poslaju my K340 to you for the recable tongue.gif
Tachikoma
post Jan 19 2007, 08:39 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

sure will do. now try to order some pure silver cable. but hell ex....
if got, how many meter roughly u want?
.... recable SHE-9500 with the 7N UPOCC silver??? siao, even the 24AWG wire costs USD10.50 per meter

.. though when I think about it, it might be interesting to have a pair of ksc-75s with that kind of cable...

This post has been edited by Tachikoma: Jan 19 2007, 08:40 PM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0830sec    5.64    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 15th November 2019 - 10:09 AM