Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY cable, Pictures of DIY cables (DIY)

views

TSPcWork
post Jun 16 2006, 01:09 PM, updated 8y ago

Audio Phreak
Group: Senior Member

user posted image
overall look for my gadget, with DIY cable.
shorter one is canare cable, longer one custom made for HP890 is SATO cable (japan)
plugs are using some not so high end plug. as i cannot found 2.5mm plug that's really good. the small red things connected to my amp is Audiotrak Optoplay USB soundcard.
rclxms.gif

user posted image
here's another picture with another amp. blush.gif

user posted image
Here's a closer look of my DIY hp890 cable. tongue.gif

user posted image
Overall look for all my DIY cable. drool.gif

user posted image
Canare cable, bought from some forumers. very nice quality / finish tough. i can't found the canare f-12 plug at jalan pasar. any one can tell me where can i buy it? to be specific, the name / location of the shop will be great. wink.gif

user posted image
both short cable, around 7", used for connect players -> portable amp.
purple is canare cable, white is sato cable + sleeve. thumbup.gif

user posted image
[outtopic] : Koss ksc75 drive. flex.gif

user posted image
Kramel Mods : improve the high, but some how, i feel it's a little bit too bright. and bass feel less punchy now. how ever, i just tested it not over 2 hours.
will continue listen to it, and compare A/B with the one without mod.
glossary : kramel mods = drilling some extra holes at the plastic which cover the drive. so that to minimize the surface of the plastic. and allow more sound pass through. rolleyes.gif

PS : i bought several REAN 3.5mm plug at jalan pasar. but i cannot fit it in with canare cable. any audiophile can pls suggest me that what cable suitable to be put on the rean plug, and giving outstanding soundquality too? (the holes is slightly smaller than canare cable. i can't force it in) price won't be an issue as i won't really need long cable. probally i buy 1 meter only.and of course, cannot afford those 1 meter= RM 80 cable. =P budget around 1 meter = RM10-RM20, cable only.

sound quality : when paring with nice cable, sound stage of hp890 / koss ksc75 actually widen up.
how wide? i don't know how to describe.
overall : i am happy for
1. improvement of sound quality,
2. improvement of "outlook" . looks excited when see big big cable. rclxm9.gif
3. slightly more detail than normal cable.

and about canare L-4E6S cable + F-12 plug , according to Dinodog_jr, using his Sr60 (grado) on my amp. he claim that the bass and soundstage is improved for his SR60. and bass have quite noticeable different. how much different, ask him. whistling.gif

Poision part: Dinodog_JR. wanna come up and have a listen???? =P

This post has been edited by PcWork: Jun 28 2007, 02:00 PM
TSPcWork
post Jun 17 2006, 08:55 PM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(dinodog_Jr @ Jun 16 2006, 02:31 PM)
haha..nice close-up shots..

I see that u connecting laptop>optoplay soundcard>headamp>headphone..
How is the sounds like?

anyway, if u guys wanna check clarity improvement in ur headamp. U can try wif speakers..haha.

I had compared two headamps here wif speakers. For me, it is much easier to analysis clarity difference than in headphone. Ok, this is just me..my another assumption.

p/s: yo..thx so much u oredi prepared a shorten cable for me. If can, i want a black sleeve. My player,headamp,headphone all in black color.
i will try look for black sleeve, and prefer PVC sleeve. or if really a lot ppl interested with cable, i might able to buy those NEON sleeve. lol

QUOTE(ifer @ Jun 16 2006, 03:16 PM)
i like the 7" cable that you use to connect players -> portable amp.
(purple is canare cable, white is sato cable + sleeve)

can do and sell one to me?
those cable are for myself, anyway, if u serios about buying one, do drop me a PM, about how long u want, wat cable u want. and i try to look for better plugs (even though this one is not bad, but i want better outlook.) and i quote u with price. but estimated wont be big different from the price with this.

QUOTE(chanti-sama @ Jun 16 2006, 03:25 PM)
Nice work dude!.....any chance u doing a ipod line out to mini jacks? tongue.gif

i will definitely get it from u. biggrin.gif
will consider, if i can get the plug, and confirm the schematic. any reference side for me? i will do a search later over google. hope can find somethings usefull.

QUOTE(TerTop @ Jun 16 2006, 08:05 PM)
Good rubber shrinking job haha. Anyway i have a question for the experts. For subwoofer interconnect, is the digital coaxial 75ohm suitable for the job?

Also does anybody knows where to get good RCA connector in pasar road?
i shrink it using my soldergun, so doesn't looks smooth. and perhaps cause by the quality of the shrink tube too. can't find those really high quality over pasar road. they have different colour, but all same brand, and made in china.

QUOTE([Top-Gun)
,Jun 17 2006, 10:51 AM]Nice mods u done there!
Sleek looking cable! How much was the total cost?

PS : It's KRAMER's mod, he's a guy over at head-fi.
kramer.. hehehe don't really remember his name. about the mod. i really enjoy the sound after mod. how ever , it's a bit viel. those who feel itchy wanna mod, and don't dare to try. can come over to my place to have a listen the ksc75 AFTER mod. and if u like it, then baru mod.
total cost? i am not too sure as i bought a lot of things together... i did ask unit price. but couldn't remember than well. i buy a lot, then pay in total.... laugh.gif

editted: : by the way. the plug of canare (short, purple) is better.
the one use for SATO + sleeve is lower quality, and cheaper if i am not mistaken.

This post has been edited by PcWork: Jun 17 2006, 09:20 PM
TSPcWork
post Jun 17 2006, 09:17 PM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(GodLuvSxS @ Jun 16 2006, 02:47 PM)
Nice job there, PcWork! When you got the solution for one nice cable for your HP890, I gotta bet on you to get one for my HP1000, it's time for my baby to take a change smile.gif
the plugs is the problems, this serveral days i will go pasar road see the fernels order book, see can order some really good quality 2.5mm plug or not. if can get, i bet a lot of handphone will need that custome made cable,,,, dinodog... *whink whink..* ur sony erricson p*** phone want some custome cable???
3.5mm - > 2.5mm, short cable like 7"
so u can connect ur phone to ur amp. hahahaha
"poisoning".....

QUOTE(howiechoo @ Jun 16 2006, 02:49 PM)
wah bro, wonder how heavy ur head will being stress when u using this headphone...lolz...overkilled.....
hp890 is quite comfort to wear. and those DIY cable aren't heavy too.
here's an ideal , i can wear Hp890, in normal room (fan, switch to no.4) for 3 hours plus, without feeling hot/discomfort. time, at night.

QUOTE(hyyam85 @ Jun 16 2006, 05:24 PM)
nice mod. wat ar the connectors tat u used besides the canare?
which 1 better? canare or sato cable?
at the amp there?
that's for my hp890
don't know what is the brand. forgot. but it's made in japan, and have quite nice finish.

about KRamel mod: i drill another hole right at the center of the plastic after some time listening. and now the bass is ok, back to normal as before, and the clarity is some how improve.
before this middle hole were drill, (which is what u see at the picture above.) i was so unhappy about it, clarity is high, bass less punchy, and have some slight echo for mid. ( don't know it's real or not. or just what i think only.)
after that, i drill the middle hole, same size. and the bass is kinda back to normal.
and have better clarity now. i was addicted to the clarity of koss. =P so i kinda enjoy the clarity after kramel mod.
song i always listen with are "Chai Qin" song.
mainly slow song. some time , some rocks.

This post has been edited by PcWork: Jun 17 2006, 09:25 PM
TSPcWork
post Jun 17 2006, 09:36 PM

Audio Phreak

amirsubhi :
i think he is interested with ur starquad + f-12
he tried for a long time to get a nicecable already.

hyyam85
if u cannot buy it from amirsubhi, or he don't wanna sell it, u can drop me a PM. how many meter u want, what plug u want. i can do it for u.
price, will tell u after i go to pasar road to buy the part.
for best things, tell me how many meter u want, and what;s ur budget
if i go ask price, it's below ur budget, i will buy the part, and ask u to bank in to me / come COd with me, and i might do the cable infront of you straight away.

editted :
add in a picture : My Current "Portable" setup.
sony Bean + amp + koss Ksc75, can fit in my pocket nicely. =P perhaps the amp + short cable is much more suitable for ipod shuffle. hehee can buy an extra ipod case and glue it on the amp case.
user posted image
the bean were placed inside a black bag (from philips she9500 earphone) to prevent it is scratched by the case of headamp.

This post has been edited by PcWork: Jun 17 2006, 09:53 PM
TSPcWork
post Jun 21 2006, 09:14 PM

Audio Phreak

hehe... will go pasar road again by friday to buy some stock. anybody wanna join? =P i go by star anyway,.haha...

sorry for some questiion i didn't answer, i online at ppl's house, rush time. will online at CC back at thursday night to answer some question such as which cable better and so on. sorry.
thanks.

This post has been edited by PcWork: Jun 21 2006, 09:21 PM
TSPcWork
post Jun 22 2006, 08:38 PM

Audio Phreak

question answered in PM.

TSPcWork
post Jun 22 2006, 09:12 PM

Audio Phreak

er.. not that hard also
but have to cut the wire just nice, cannot too long, cannot too short, as too long, the metal caps will not be able to screw in. too short, cannot solder nicely.
and.. while soldering., needs some times to heat up the terminal so that the it can stick on the terminal, but doing it slightly too long will also MELT the cable rubber coat.
sort of, u have to do it accurately, and fast.
well it's in my case.
perhaps i will switch to lower power soldering gun to do it again.
by the way, wanna buy one? as i will make one for ifer too. and tomorrow i will go to search for the parts again. and COD with ifer at saturday.

TSPcWork
post Jun 24 2006, 09:27 PM

Audio Phreak

hyyam85 : by the way, i am feeling weired, why there's a lot ppl using L-4E6S for a stereo connection.. while L-4E6S have 4 pole connector + screen = 5 connection in total. what we need is only 3 for stereo plug.
i had bought couple meters of L-2T2E (forgot the accurate mode) but it's two pole inside + 1 screen.

what i am thinking, is that ppl use L4e6S because in future they can upgrade it to RCA?
and i found out some ppl don't even use the screen ( metal sleeve inside wire) for ground channel in L4e6s, they just use the 4 wire inside, connect each channel one, and ground x2.

by the way, i am thinking selling some of cable.

interested ppl can check here out

Selling DIY Cable

This post has been edited by PcWork: Jun 24 2006, 10:39 PM
TSPcWork
post Jun 30 2006, 02:20 PM

Audio Phreak

lol. no after sleeving also. if u touch it hard enough, the place u solder will putus very easily...

TSPcWork
post Jul 7 2006, 08:47 PM

Audio Phreak

i had made one of those too.
but i put all three wire inside a 1mm heat shrink tube , then shrink the tube to hold those cable tightly.
workings so far, quite durable too as the heat shrink is quite hard after shrink.

how ever, i tested it comparing to Canare L2T2S. and found out,
Bass is heavier than L2T2S, but a bit muddy...and soundstage is quite big different.
but for it's price, it can be consider sound good already .=P

TSPcWork
post Jul 10 2006, 12:49 PM

Audio Phreak

on my philips HP890. pair with canare L-2T2S. the sound stage is wide, treble is much more better. clarity and detail too.
bass some how not so boomy. but tight.

TSPcWork
post Jul 14 2006, 01:26 PM

Audio Phreak

alamaklor. how many layer techflex u put?
damn shining man. hahaha
nice cable. and nice handwork.

TSPcWork
post Jul 15 2006, 11:13 PM

Audio Phreak

really look damn nice... wow....

TSPcWork
post Jul 28 2006, 12:05 PM

Audio Phreak

actually nakamichi sound space 1 is using LAN cable. as speaker cable.

TSPcWork
post Aug 4 2006, 12:07 PM

Audio Phreak

OMG. man. this is seriously good...
=)~
is that
1 X Mylar metallic silver, 1 X carbon ?
the first picture really shiny.
alamak. carbon different with black? i bought only black =(

TSPcWork
post Sep 14 2006, 04:13 PM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(yeahs4.1 @ Sep 3 2006, 05:44 PM)
hi to all DIY pro's here..
man.. i gonna make my own cable soon..
can u tell me where to get those plugs and canera starquad in good price?
i heard that jalan pasar have a lot..

how do u all make the Y junction of the mini to RCA cable? shrink tube?
i saw from the head-fi there, the starquad have 4 wires inside, that means 2 for each  channel RCA, right? after connecting it with the RCA plugs, how do u all make it thick jz like 3rd picture of alamaklor? wat kinda sleeves u all use?

p/s : wat's the techflex for? beauty purposes?
alamaklor is using techflex. it's a brand. he conduct a bulk before. and many ppl had bought that too.

QUOTE(ijan @ Sep 6 2006, 06:41 PM)
yaa..4 pairs of cat5 aka 16 smaller pairs of the twisted super not flexible wires. Ppl are raving of cat5 as a cheap replacement of speaker cable when they are in a massive config as in 4-8-12 even 2 would werk but that would already be big.

U would say, how would i know..i would answer, i built both, i haf both in my hands and my current neutrik+canare cable is far more superior (significantly better, audible difference) compared to the cat5 cables that seems to haf no difference from a chapalang rm5 factory cable.
it's good for speaker cable. but it';s not for interconnect. twisted cable like that easily pick up radio wave. especially if the cat5 cable is using PVC skin. not teflon.
i had made one super mini inter connect of stereo using the method. and the material is teflon skin silver coated cable.
sound. not as good as canare.and if our hand is near by the wire. it will humm heavily.

mADmAN
suggestion for you. try to sleeve the join part with some cloth sleeve before heatshrink it. it will help to hold the wire in place. and maybe make the wire same in diameter. looks better.
=)

Editted : Typo : hole Aka Hold

This post has been edited by PcWork: Sep 15 2006, 06:10 PM
TSPcWork
post Sep 22 2006, 01:33 PM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Sep 20 2006, 09:32 PM)
my latest creation

this is the 3rd DIY cable ive made.. and i think this one looks hell of alot better than the previous 2.. mebbe coz its easy... 1 plug to 1 plug instead of the previous 2 which were splitters. anyway...here it is...

user posted image

like the sleeving? brows.gif

and here it is in action with my previous RCA splitters

user posted image

the white thingy cables are actually monster cables meant for iPod thumbup.gif

plugs are RM3.50 per piece in SS2. and used 2-core shielded microphone cable. it states on the cable "Maruni Professional Microphone Cable Japan"  wink.gif
don't buy maruni brother.... =P
why? you know why i say that.. =P

where do you get shoelace ? i want to buy too. for cheap use. and some cable i need to bend it. those techflex some time quite hard.

TSPcWork
post Oct 2 2006, 11:11 AM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Oct 2 2006, 01:38 AM)
pirate?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

never thought of it that way man... i used skulls because i kinda have a thing for skulls tongue.gif
MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA...... find me a dude whos willing to pay RM8k for those cables and ill sell it to him for half price at RM4k tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif
dude. that's very cool..
try make it shorter. many female ipod user will buy from u. but get those cute cute pattern one. sure they love it... er.. does female usually use an headamp?
TSPcWork
post Oct 3 2006, 11:06 AM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(empire23 @ Oct 3 2006, 12:10 AM)
It stems from a simple idea that analog is made from near infinite resolution (as far as the medium allows for) and that Digital is absolute, being absolute, a single bit error can actually cascade from one point creating a deluge of errors (assuming you don't have CRC, LRC, BCS or Parity), so in the world of Digital, one f-up can whack a whole network, since no ACK sent and crap like that. Although most digital transmissions are error tolerant these days.

I said it isn't a primary concern, just get something with uber low resistance and one that generally shows good qualities and you're fine, because specs aren't as important to audio as they are to digital, mind you CAT5E is designed to make 100m runs with acceptable degradation and as little timing loss as possible. For example;  Impedence matching with most speakers is bullcrap because these days source impedence is so low with SS amps, but why do SS amp makers still put it there? To make people go "wow, complex, must be 1337"

Seriously, no ear can hear it.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....ight=blind+test
triangle = silver
circles = starquad
square = ratshack

Ratshack, Silver and Starquad compared. Conclusion? All Phail.

Mind you the difference might be there, but it surely isn't perceptible, who knows maybe be an ultra small percentile of people that is, but audiologists still claim otherwise.
user posted image

Maybe environments pose challenges too, for me, 1 24 incher, 2 17in CRTs, 2 Printers, 2 Card readers, ZL 2.0, PS2, 2 Switches, 1 hub, 2 wireless routers, soldering equipment, 1 amp, 1 socket clock, handphone charger,  battery charger, MX duo unit and 3 PCs are seriously going to add electrical noise, thus when i do a shielded vs non shielded test i can hear the diff. But who uses as much crap on one table as i do eh? But my point has been, certainly no use in comparing a cheapo Belden and Nordost, same to me if you ask.

I like Cardas cables, they're all blue and stuff, that's why. Plus i cans show off tongue.gif
through this research, it's doesn't mean that there's no different. only if their brain can percisely tells that which sound characteristic belongs to which cable or not. and i really doubt that.
some time i comparing belden interconnect and my canare l-4E6S, or silver interconnect. i can hear the different, some major, and some minor. but i can't really say out which sound belongs to which cable because of i can't remembe it. but i can hear different. EXCEPT those cable i really familiar and i like their sound. like canare l-4e6s, i like the sound, so chances i can point out the cable within whole bunch of cable sound is quite high.
in my cases, i can different canare-L4E6S from Belden and silver. but i can't differentciate amoung belden and silver.
TSPcWork
post Oct 3 2006, 11:15 AM

Audio Phreak

QUOTE(valve_300b @ Oct 2 2006, 02:01 PM)
i couldn't agree more, DIY is definitely a starting point. It does beat the crap out of any other cable if you do it correctly.

I started off with DIY also, as your components get better, you will realised that the DIY cable is no longer good enough and reach a point where there is no better way to improve on the cable.

Then come the commercial cable for your solution. Try them out, if you hear improvement, oh that is when the poison comes in, you'll keep thinking of it smile.gif
valve, but some factory cable :EG: Cardas cable are HAND TERMINTATED. so how do u define DIY and factory cable which is hand terminated?
the cardas even so strict that if other peolple buying same cable and same plug, soldering with same lead and same methods, they won't recognise it as their cardas sound. if we going to use pure match and physics on here, i doubt there's different. but hell, according to some hifi people, it DOES bring different.

QUOTE(empire23 @ Oct 2 2006, 05:53 PM)
They're all the same. Trust me. Math and subjectivism don't match. Math is a priori which all things derive their foundations from. To me, copper is copper, and mind you the bandwidth being used by the audio spectrum is only from 20 to 20khz, baseband digital has less to work with in even smaller operating windows than audio. Mind you some using Belden's top of the line CAT5E and braided them for crosstalk and uniform dispersion have compared them to stuff costing thousands of ringgit.

In this case, the math and my ears say the same thing if interference isn't an issue, heck my brain says it. It says "you're hearing things" tongue.gif

I rather go through a checklist of the above then it comes to cable before the "sound"

- Handling characteristics
- Flexibility
- Oxidizational preference
- Strenght of contact grip
- Kewl Look  laugh.gif

I'm not even bothering with networking specifics when it comes to audio cable like

- Capacitance
- Resistance
- Inductance
- Crosstalk
- Attenuation
- Impedence Mismatch
- Reflection
- Low and High Frequency Shielding (foil/braid)

Why? because no ear can hear it, unless you're planning to make a cable run of 100 meters dahling  blush.gif and the fact is, digital data is a few million times faster and more complex. So i kind of select attributes where i need them. It's not like i take into context the shelf life of canned goods, true, it's a factor, but not an important one.

Wanna make your setup sound better? Open it up, look in her circuits and see what you can improve. You'll be amazed. Seriously.
well. if copper is copper, then go out to jalan pasar, buy those RM 2 cable for the hifi which cause you RM 10K.
think about that dude.
if copper is copper, why people borther about 6N 7N, 99.9999% and 99.99999% really made the different?
according to your teory, even normal cheapo cable which has around 95% copper should be sound so different from those 99.9999% copper cable. because no one can really spot the 5% or 1% different. but TRUST ME. those hifi EAR can hear it. =)

i myself as a low end cable seller, Canare-L4E6S.
and i served quite a number of customers which is happy with my cable. if your math applied, and there's really no different amoung cable. probally i should be awarded with the "super-duper con man of the year" . which i cheat their money to spend hundrads on cable buying the same cable they can get in jalan pasar for RM 2. and yet i can make them happy with the cable....

also another example of MATH goes not well in AUdio, is
theorically they claim that FLAC = LOSSLESS.
come over my place, i let you listen FLAC and OGG i rip from original josh groban disc, and i let you listen the original disc, playing using same headphone, same speaker, same sound card, same notebook.
i can gurantee you that FLAC have some losses....because the josh groban song clip at certain place. it;s very minor one . but i can hear it.
i tough my CD rom got problems, so i rip using external drive, and play using the same drive using CD.
result are the same. i have 13 version of josh groban first album in my computer. all ripped with different CD rom, DVD rom, DVD writer. so on so on. but while i play it back USING SAME OPTICAL DRIVE, the one directly play from CD always better.

This post has been edited by PcWork: Oct 3 2006, 11:22 AM

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0803sec    2.24    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 08:22 PM