Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

107 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY cable, Pictures of DIY cables (DIY)

views

yeahs4.1
post Sep 3 2006, 05:44 PM

Audio Freako
2,489 posts

hi to all DIY pro's here..
man.. i gonna make my own cable soon..
can u tell me where to get those plugs and canera starquad in good price?
i heard that jalan pasar have a lot..

how do u all make the Y junction of the mini to RCA cable? shrink tube?
i saw from the head-fi there, the starquad have 4 wires inside, that means 2 for each channel RCA, right? after connecting it with the RCA plugs, how do u all make it thick jz like 3rd picture of alamaklor? wat kinda sleeves u all use?

p/s : wat's the techflex for? beauty purposes?

mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 02:55 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

greetings masters...

i was wondering if anyone could help me identify these RCA plugs coz they dont have any markings on them...

the male plugs were bought for RM15 for 1 pair (RM7.50 each)... once again i dont have time to go jln pasar so i just bought them in an electrical spare parts shop in SS2.

the female plugs i cant remember how much per piece doh.gif

im planning to use them to make RCA splitters (1 male -> 2 female) for audio using CAT5 cables (NOT CAT5e... just normal CAT5).

forgive the picture quality as i took using camera phone (w810i)..heres the pix...
user posted image

the female connectors

user posted image

and finally the male (this one actually has quite abit of weight in them..so mebbe its good??)

user posted image

appreciate any help i can get... thanks in advance notworthy.gif

EDIT: forgot to ask... anyone knows where i can get them cable sleeving with various sizes?? want something they sell by the metre....

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 6 2006, 05:27 PM
ijan
post Sep 6 2006, 06:24 PM

The one with a boring life...
3,289 posts

u mean wat brand is it? no brand, female is generic, male is is a replica of sumthing, still, no brand if that is wat ur asking.

I strongly suggest u not to use CAT5 cables unless ur gonna make a giant cable of at least 4 cat5 cables (which wont fit the plug).
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 06:28 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

thanks ijan...

me planning to use 4 pairs of cat5 cables (the 4 pairs in 1 cat5 wire)

u saying use 4 aka 16 pairs to make the cable?
ijan
post Sep 6 2006, 06:41 PM

3,289 posts

yaa..4 pairs of cat5 aka 16 smaller pairs of the twisted super not flexible wires. Ppl are raving of cat5 as a cheap replacement of speaker cable when they are in a massive config as in 4-8-12 even 2 would werk but that would already be big.

U would say, how would i know..i would answer, i built both, i haf both in my hands and my current neutrik+canare cable is far more superior (significantly better, audible difference) compared to the cat5 cables that seems to haf no difference from a chapalang rm5 factory cable.
SEP910
post Sep 6 2006, 06:43 PM

Desire!!!
1,121 posts

QUOTE(ijan @ Sep 6 2006, 06:24 PM)
u mean wat brand is it? no brand, female is generic, male is is a replica of sumthing, still, no brand if that is wat ur asking.

I strongly suggest u not to use CAT5 cables unless ur gonna make a giant cable of at least 4 cat5 cables (which wont fit the plug).
yes agree with you ijan,
madman, I didnt understand why you want to make 1 male -> 2 female,
why dont you make 1 male -> 2 male.
and why you use cat5 cable, sound no different.
why dont you try component cable,
you can get it at SS2.
or use canare cable.

This post has been edited by SEP910: Sep 6 2006, 07:13 PM
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 07:13 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

i need to make 1 male -> 2 female as a splitter to 2 seperate output units..... (both output units have different inputs and i already have the cables for them... but the source of both of them are RCA males...hence the 2 females)

using cat5 simply because i have some biggrin.gif besides.. i just need a short one.. not a long one... mebbe even less than half a foot long tongue.gif and oso doing it for fun and learning and this will only be my 2nd DIY cable hence all the questions...

and whats component cable? which shop in ss2 has it? the one on same row as MCDonalds or the one behind pelita nasi kandar?? canare can get in ss2 meh?

ill probably be making real mini-mini IC later on when i actually have the time to go Jalan Pasar and get some proper cables and plugs.. but for now.. still in learning stage so playing around here n there
ijan
post Sep 6 2006, 07:18 PM

3,289 posts

Then, go ahead brother, enjoy the solder fume as i do, it makes me HIGH..haha!
SEP910
post Sep 6 2006, 07:18 PM

Desire!!!
1,121 posts

u cant get canare at SS2,
but component cable have.

This post has been edited by SEP910: Sep 6 2006, 07:24 PM
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 07:23 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

@SEP910
got ur PM bro... thanks alot...

and SS2 electrical spare parts shop dont seem to have any branded plugs... only unbranded ones like i posted above and in page 3.
SEP910
post Sep 6 2006, 07:25 PM

Desire!!!
1,121 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Sep 6 2006, 07:23 PM)
@SEP910
got ur PM bro... thanks alot...

and SS2 electrical spare parts shop dont seem to have any branded plugs... only unbranded ones like i posted above and in page 3.
yes, I already try all the shop there,
why dont u go to amcorp mall,
got hifi shop there.
mADmAN
post Sep 14 2006, 01:05 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

ok guys... ive finished the RCA splitters that i wanted to do... and here are pix... i still think its not up to standards as the rest here... but me still noob... so still learning.... and i think im improving biggrin.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

now check this out... brows.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i ended up NOT using the CAT5 and decided to get some 4 core shielded cables. no idea what cables they are... but they work so im fine with it thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 14 2006, 01:09 AM
yeah_guyz
post Sep 14 2006, 01:12 AM

o2 + co2= coo22 ^_^lll
3,980 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Sep 14 2006, 01:05 AM)
ok guys... ive finished the RCA splitters that i wanted to do... and here are pix... i still think its not up to standards as the rest here... but me still noob... so still learning.... and i think im improving biggrin.gif

now check this out... brows.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i ended up NOT using the CAT5 and decided to get some 4 core shielded cables. no idea what cables they are... but they work so im fine with it thumbup.gif
look better after off light tongue.gif
hw much those sleeve?
where to get?

mADmAN
post Sep 14 2006, 01:15 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

the black and purple cable sleeves i bought from uglyvamp. u can find in bulk section oso... moderno and niclasteoh are bulking them.

the green are vantec cable sleeves.. have to buy the entire set lor...

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 14 2006, 01:16 AM
TSPcWork
post Sep 14 2006, 04:13 PM

Audio Phreak
6,477 posts

QUOTE(yeahs4.1 @ Sep 3 2006, 05:44 PM)
hi to all DIY pro's here..
man.. i gonna make my own cable soon..
can u tell me where to get those plugs and canera starquad in good price?
i heard that jalan pasar have a lot..

how do u all make the Y junction of the mini to RCA cable? shrink tube?
i saw from the head-fi there, the starquad have 4 wires inside, that means 2 for each  channel RCA, right? after connecting it with the RCA plugs, how do u all make it thick jz like 3rd picture of alamaklor? wat kinda sleeves u all use?

p/s : wat's the techflex for? beauty purposes?
alamaklor is using techflex. it's a brand. he conduct a bulk before. and many ppl had bought that too.

QUOTE(ijan @ Sep 6 2006, 06:41 PM)
yaa..4 pairs of cat5 aka 16 smaller pairs of the twisted super not flexible wires. Ppl are raving of cat5 as a cheap replacement of speaker cable when they are in a massive config as in 4-8-12 even 2 would werk but that would already be big.

U would say, how would i know..i would answer, i built both, i haf both in my hands and my current neutrik+canare cable is far more superior (significantly better, audible difference) compared to the cat5 cables that seems to haf no difference from a chapalang rm5 factory cable.
it's good for speaker cable. but it';s not for interconnect. twisted cable like that easily pick up radio wave. especially if the cat5 cable is using PVC skin. not teflon.
i had made one super mini inter connect of stereo using the method. and the material is teflon skin silver coated cable.
sound. not as good as canare.and if our hand is near by the wire. it will humm heavily.

mADmAN
suggestion for you. try to sleeve the join part with some cloth sleeve before heatshrink it. it will help to hold the wire in place. and maybe make the wire same in diameter. looks better.
=)

Editted : Typo : hole Aka Hold

This post has been edited by PcWork: Sep 15 2006, 06:10 PM
mADmAN
post Sep 14 2006, 04:39 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Sep 14 2006, 04:13 PM)
mADmAN
suggestion for you. try to sleeve the join part with some cloth sleeve before heatshrink it. it will help to hole the wire in place. and maybe make the wire same in diameter. looks better.
=)
w00t! thanks for the tip!! will remember that... and will also have to remember to get bigger heatshrinks doh.gif
mADmAN
post Sep 20 2006, 09:32 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

my latest creation

this is the 3rd DIY cable ive made.. and i think this one looks hell of alot better than the previous 2.. mebbe coz its easy... 1 plug to 1 plug instead of the previous 2 which were splitters. anyway...here it is...

user posted image

like the sleeving? brows.gif

and here it is in action with my previous RCA splitters

user posted image

the white thingy cables are actually monster cables meant for iPod thumbup.gif

plugs are RM3.50 per piece in SS2. and used 2-core shielded microphone cable. it states on the cable "Maruni Professional Microphone Cable Japan" wink.gif

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 20 2006, 09:34 PM
PowerSlide
post Sep 21 2006, 04:54 PM

----------
5,912 posts

very good job madman

wat sleeving is that on ur 3rd DIY cable?
mADmAN
post Sep 21 2006, 05:59 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

laugh.gif believe it or not....

theyre shoelaces...yep im serious.. them strings u use to tie ur shoes. shoelaces laugh.gif
mADmAN
post Sep 21 2006, 09:27 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,420 posts

i think im hooked on this DIY cable thing wink.gif so heres another one.. using 4core shielded cable. sleeving is the same as above only diff colour.. plugs oso same as above.

user posted image

107 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0562sec    4.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 11:00 PM