[ Standard ] · Linear+

> Folding Bicycles v2, Dahon, Tern, Java, Oribike, Bromptons

views

adriankhoo153
post Aug 19 2013, 11:25 AM

So many star for what?
4,644 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Aug 19 2013, 10:51 AM)
Tern P9 is a good choice.  thumbup.gif  Speed is about your stamina and also how hard can you pedal. Also your bike's weight is crucial too. If you want speed in your folding bike, Dahon Dash is good and if you can still find the Hammerhead which is sub 10 kg, you found gold! thumbup.gif The Kinetix Pro rims is a standard feature of the Hammerhead.

user posted image

When I was coming down from Genting Peras, at the kampong flats, me and wife also can do 25km/h to 27 km/h average and so did a few more on the Dahon MU P8, KHS F20 even the Kalaq, in addition to mine and wife's Dahon Eco C7. But the point is we know it's only another 10 km run till the coffee shop, but can we go further??? It's endurance also. How long can we last pedalling at high gear? We also need to pace ourselves, know the route well or find out about the route.

Reminds me of a story my friend told me. There was this jamboree trip and there was a thousand riders. As with Jamboree riders, MOST don't know the route and were never well prepared. So the ride started and my friend who knew the route well was starting slowly and his riding companion ask him to hurry. He said, " No worries, with the pace they started off, most won't finish". And he was right, only a small group lasted till the end. Just like the Penang round island ride, half way, most of them were on the municipal lorries.  tongue.gif  Still the best is riding constantly and increasing your speed as you get used to it. A good training is Putrajaya. In the beginning, I started with using the whole range of the 7 speed. Eco C7 is a 7 speed bike. Then after a few rides, i never used the largest 2 cog. Now, I don't shift at all, maintaining at 52T X 13T, eventhough I have 27 speed.  It's never about the bike, it all your own's capability.

I will give a good tip for those who are not really into upgrades. Upgrading a front crank is expensive, we all know it. What you can do is , change the front crank to double, like 50/39 or better still 50/36, very ideal compromise. (can get second hand ones in BBS) Other than that, nothing else. If you ride mainly on flats, use the bigger crank and if on trips to Genting Sempah, Genting Peras or Fraser's Hill, manually shift the chain to the lower ring and used that for the whole trip.

Last week another rider kaki of mine bought a KHS F20. It was actually an 8 speeder but the shop has added a double crank to the bike making it 16 speed. He got it for 1.5K from GW cycle (give and take a little, depending on how good your bargaining power is  tongue.gif ). It's light, much lighter than my Eco C7 and it's fast too. I hear there's another importer for KHS somewhere in Klang and some say it's cheaper than FB Bikes and GW. Check it out.

user posted image
Thanks for the precious tips bro. I think for now I am gonna cycle a lil bit longer with my Raleigh and from there on, will only think bout getting another bike for myself.
eraserwke
post Aug 19 2013, 12:11 PM

10 posts

FYI I'm selling off my doppelganger 202. Asking RM750. Pics and specs at the link below:
http://bicyclebuysell.com/view_item.php?id=214074

theotheryun
post Aug 19 2013, 12:18 PM

1 posts

for now i tink ive settled with the bike
the plan to upgrade is still there
but not a priority animor
no rush
or myb i wont
myb just buy another bike
myb la kan
its just dat for now i satisfied with de bike
perhaps better tyre n brake is all it need
yes its heavy n ony got 7 speed
but i tink dats gud for me
to train mysef
some said bad bicycle make a better rider
hehe biggrin.gif

anyway i realy like dis maxxis dth
suits me just fine
on n off dividers
potholes n bumps
sands n dirts
i can off the roads whenever i can whenever i want
tho not as extreme as the broken jetstream guy
i hope my bike can endure it all
for quite a long time sweat.gif
i cant help it but to tink dat broken jetstream died happily biggrin.gif
hehe biggrin.gif

u r lucky to have ur bike
or
ur bike r lucky to have u

cheers
TSearl-ku
post Aug 19 2013, 12:22 PM

Chlorophiliac
4,558 posts

I think I manage to locate the source of the creaking sound... its from the seat...

I read that it will need some cleaning on the post and clamps...

And some ceramic grease required on the saddle rail...

What else can I do and where can I get some ceramic grease... some say toothpaste should work too or should I get some normal grease from the hardware shop?
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 12:23 PM

On my way
535 posts

ok, so i notice the miragen 217 has got shocks... where other models dont have... hmm.. its also heavier... during my mtb time, i had a hardtail... now that i see both front and rear of the 217 has got shocks, does this mean its going to be harder to pedal or takes more effort to pedal on the road?
samosaurus
post Aug 19 2013, 12:32 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 07:58 AM)
Pindah to new thread. Woot

Have a ride with group of foldie that came to Setia Alam for joining Half Marathon New Balance route. 21km in total. Damn, lots of them riding poisonous bike! There is two Mouton to start with. Pauline Lee who are the organizer with her touring Moulton which she get it from Melbourne. She even have a Brompton. Then there is a guy from Kota Kemuning also with his shiny chrome Moulton!

Then there is a few Bike Friday. The highlight is a custom made Wheelsport foldie. The rider are actually a Taiwanese couple and the guy is the designer for Wheelsport! Some say he own Wheelsport too.

Another white bike looks like Airnimal foldie. There is also Vanesnesa and Brian from Vans Urban riding a Tern P9 and Link C7.

What an event! Just when I thought it is just a normal foldie event and turned up to be such a glamorous folding bike. There I am with my humble Raleigh Ugo. Very malu lah. Hahaha

[attachmentid=3588824]
This is the Moulton TSR  thumbup.gif

[attachmentid=3588825]
Very nice event..  icon_rolleyes.gif
Hahaha!!!! Kesian... Don't let that shiny Moulton intimidate you.. Its probably brought out for parade on social rides.. hahaha!!! BTW, the owner, Finty, he started with a Dahon Speed P8.

Setia Alam is orang kaya township la bro, so, Van cycles also very smart in placing their store there.. Strategic... You will meet people where "money is no object", but with Orang Kaya in this case, they would only go for social rides la.. Tayang basikal.. hahaha! Anything more than that, too "hard" for them la..

People who really ride their foldies, tak kira specs and class. They don't even have time to lepak in bike shops, and all they crave is the "next big adventure", so, that said, jangan kecik hati, keep on riding!

user posted image

Ride you foldie in good health!

Sam
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 12:35 PM

On my way
535 posts

QUOTE(theotheryun @ Aug 19 2013, 12:18 PM)
for now i tink ive settled with the bike
the plan to upgrade is still there
but not a priority animor
no rush
or myb i wont
myb just buy another bike
myb la kan
its just dat for now i satisfied with de bike
perhaps better tyre n brake is all it need
yes its heavy n ony got 7 speed
but i tink dats gud for me
to train mysef
some said bad bicycle make a better rider
hehe biggrin.gif

anyway i realy like dis maxxis dth
suits me just fine
on n off dividers
potholes n bumps
sands n dirts
i can off the roads whenever i can whenever i want
tho not as extreme as the broken jetstream guy
i hope my bike can endure it all
for quite a long time sweat.gif
i cant help it but to tink dat broken jetstream died happily biggrin.gif
hehe biggrin.gif

u r lucky to have ur bike
or
ur bike r lucky to have u

cheers
bro, have you had other bike prior to this??
other doppels weight 12.3kg average out...
miragen weights 15kg.. and with front and rear shocks?
whats your take on the shocks for road cycling?
H2D
post Aug 19 2013, 12:52 PM

On my way
598 posts

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 19 2013, 12:35 PM)
bro yun had written a bit bout this bike in post 1946
this will save him abit frm typing again... biggrin.gif
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 12:57 PM

On my way
535 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Aug 19 2013, 12:52 PM)
bro yun had written a bit bout this bike in post 1946
this will save him abit frm typing again...  biggrin.gif
thanks bro.. thumbup.gif
theotheryun
post Aug 19 2013, 01:15 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 19 2013, 12:23 PM)
ok, so i notice the miragen 217 has got shocks... where other models dont have... hmm.. its also heavier... during my mtb time, i had a hardtail... now that i see both front and rear of the 217 has got shocks, does this mean its going to be harder to pedal or takes more effort to pedal on the road?
QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 19 2013, 12:35 PM)
not realy
cuz de shocks is quite hard so u probably pedal de same
well
the shocks actually not realy absorbing (at least its not as u might expect it) but it does its job more or less
but i tink if its a hardtail n rigid fork i still ok with it
but saying this i dont have any other bike nor ride any other bike
so cant realy compare to it
if u want dis bike cuz of the shocks u might be dissappointed
i did
but then now i dont realy mind animor tongue.gif
if u want road cycling folding bike take a look at this or this
they r more proper mini velo for road cycling
take a look at this for example of mod of what can u do to it
dat fledermaus got realy nice mod thumbup.gif damn!
me im planning to get de vantage in future
hehe tongue.gif
but then if u still want a doppelganger dat is
thers still many choices out there tongue.gif

cheers
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 01:22 PM

On my way
535 posts

thank you for your reply.. im looking for something mainly for the roads... but i also need something that allow me for some very light offroad..
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 01:23 PM

On my way
535 posts

what about the louisgarneau brand..
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 01:27 PM

On my way
535 posts

of course, it would be good to spend on a bike... but i very much prefer to upgrade it... ive read that dahon are somehow harder to upgrade due to their own fixtures on things... i dont fully understand folding bike yet...

but i hope i can upgrade stuff like fd,rd,crankset and brakes...
thinking to get the tern P9 but i dont know whats good about that bike...

the groupsets and such also branded other diff names... eg: my MTB, uses SLX, which that time, is the best from shimano... but i dont think i can fit that here right? or i could?
ggMing
post Aug 19 2013, 01:28 PM

On my way
535 posts

these are all small things i need to find out before i commit to a bike... any help would be appreciated while i go thru 2.5k post to have a better understanding and idea on folding bikes

H2D
post Aug 19 2013, 01:31 PM

On my way
598 posts

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 19 2013, 01:28 PM)
these are all small things i need to find out before i commit to a bike... any help would be appreciated while i go thru 2.5k post to have a better understanding and idea on folding bikes
this blog will ans alot of ur Q. biggrin.gif
http://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2013/03/gu...dahon-tern.html

n also search for other sites/blogs about folding bikes... to learn more...

This post has been edited by H2D: Aug 19 2013, 01:32 PM
theotheryun
post Aug 19 2013, 01:46 PM

1 posts

ah
im promoting de vantage n fledermaus
again sweat.gif
no im not a doppelganger salesman
hehe

and for expensive folding bike
well
if one can afford it why not?
say if they want to sell it later
its a bargain to others
dat is if they want to sell it at cheap price la kan
those bikes even second hand one is still expensives.damn
hehe
theotheryun
post Aug 19 2013, 01:53 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 19 2013, 01:27 PM)
of course, it would be good to spend on a bike... but i very much prefer to upgrade it... ive read that dahon are somehow harder to upgrade due to their own fixtures on things... i dont fully understand folding bike yet...

but i hope i can upgrade stuff like fd,rd,crankset and brakes...
thinking to get the tern P9 but i dont know whats good about that bike...

the groupsets and such also branded other diff names... eg: my MTB, uses SLX, which that time, is the best from shimano... but i dont think i can fit that here right? or i could?
if miragen 217 (and other foldies that is non-neos rd) yes u can
like dis miragen
user posted image
mbax
post Aug 19 2013, 01:59 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(KTCY @ Aug 19 2013, 10:54 AM)
@bold : what's the price for old model ?
eco is 1k, mup8 is 2.2k no idea about espresso, didnt bother to ask.. too bz with the small one choosing his first bike.
croomaniac
post Aug 19 2013, 02:00 PM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 19 2013, 12:23 PM)
Shocks on normal road will surely give you shock absorbing features (potholes, bumpers) but eventually most will agree that you'll feel tired faster hmm.gif

Anyway, i have my shocks turned on all the way icon_rolleyes.gif
gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:21 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 07:58 AM)
Pindah to new thread. Woot

Have a ride with group of foldie that came to Setia Alam for joining Half Marathon New Balance route. 21km in total. Damn, lots of them riding poisonous bike! There is two Mouton to start with. Pauline Lee who are the organizer with her touring Moulton which she get it from Melbourne. She even have a Brompton. Then there is a guy from Kota Kemuning also with his shiny chrome Moulton!

Then there is a few Bike Friday. The highlight is a custom made Wheelsport foldie. The rider are actually a Taiwanese couple and the guy is the designer for Wheelsport! Some say he own Wheelsport too.

Another white bike looks like Airnimal foldie. There is also Vanesnesa and Brian from Vans Urban riding a Tern P9 and Link C7.

What an event! Just when I thought it is just a normal foldie event and turned up to be such a glamorous folding bike. There I am with my humble Raleigh Ugo. Very malu lah. Hahaha

[attachmentid=3588824]
This is the Moulton TSR  thumbup.gif

[attachmentid=3588825]
Very nice event..  icon_rolleyes.gif
What to malu.. U be part of them... tongue.gif

144 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0214sec    0.63    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th July 2020 - 06:59 PM