post Aug 18 2013, 04:44 PM

Casual
386 posts

Congrate for V2...smile.gif

gilbertlhl
post Aug 18 2013, 04:46 PM

Casual
386 posts

Why change title? I think last time title better... now title seem like only limit to few brand...
gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:21 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 07:58 AM)
Pindah to new thread. Woot

Have a ride with group of foldie that came to Setia Alam for joining Half Marathon New Balance route. 21km in total. Damn, lots of them riding poisonous bike! There is two Mouton to start with. Pauline Lee who are the organizer with her touring Moulton which she get it from Melbourne. She even have a Brompton. Then there is a guy from Kota Kemuning also with his shiny chrome Moulton!

Then there is a few Bike Friday. The highlight is a custom made Wheelsport foldie. The rider are actually a Taiwanese couple and the guy is the designer for Wheelsport! Some say he own Wheelsport too.

Another white bike looks like Airnimal foldie. There is also Vanesnesa and Brian from Vans Urban riding a Tern P9 and Link C7.

What an event! Just when I thought it is just a normal foldie event and turned up to be such a glamorous folding bike. There I am with my humble Raleigh Ugo. Very malu lah. Hahaha

[attachmentid=3588824]
This is the Moulton TSR  thumbup.gif

[attachmentid=3588825]
Very nice event..  icon_rolleyes.gif
What to malu.. U be part of them... tongue.gif
gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:26 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Aug 19 2013, 09:07 AM)
We just ride with what we can afford. Most important is to have fun and also sweat out a bit at the same time. After so long I still ride my humble Dahon Eco C7 and so does my wife. It's fine with me, even from Kuala Kubu Bahru to Fraser's Hill and a friend of mine rides the Kalaq  tongue.gif  also can reach Fraser's Hill. It's the engine that's important.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Feeling inferior seeing others in expensive bikes is usual but feeling proud and arrogant seeing others in cheaper bikes is also usual. But feeling dissapointed when failing to catch up with the inferior bikes is even more pronounced! Hahahaha. tongue.gif
Who dare.. to laugh at U. U big leg, can smoke any other with even bangla bike..hahahaha... biggrin.gif

gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:28 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:29 AM)
The bike there are awesome. Take very little effort for them on hill climbing and pedaling. I can see the different between a powerhorse and a entry level folding bike. The normal cruising speed is about 25kmh.  drool.gif
My passion towards a foldie is burning high. Lusting for more power.  brows.gif

Hmm, am thinking of Tern P9 perhaps?  icon_rolleyes.gif
Just wonder what setting on their bike.? frint 56T back 11T?
gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:34 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 19 2013, 09:40 AM)
When we see other bikes better than ours, we just admire lah.  But no one can claim his bike to be the best, as there will always be someone with a better bike or perceived higher value bike.  The key word is perception.
If you think your bike is good, it is good.

We do what we can with our limited money, lah.  If you can afford it, go for it.  But not at the expense of our daily necessities or future needs like life savings, children's education, medical expenses.

Have you seen the type of bikes that most Dutch people ride?  It is mostly functional, it just gets you from A to B.  Their bike carriers can be made of discarded wooden boxes.  Not glamourous, high specs or what.
Their bikes are Practical! Which means their bikes are saving them money for other uses, instead of them spending more money on their bikes....  heh heh.

And this makes sense to me.  I have two bikes.  One is Tern - that one for weekend rides and occasionally ride from PJ to KL to work.  The other one I use amost daily  - an old bike (24 inch steel and very rusty bike) to the LRT station, lock and park it there for free.  My car is parked at friend's house for minimum charge, still got to pay lah.
Ride about 2 km to LRT.    So I save parking of RM3 and save some petrol going to the LRT worth about RM1.  I get some exercise too and for that I put a value of about RM0.50 (instead of going to the Gym which costs me RM3 a day, whether I use the gym or not)

Daily savings of RM4.50 is RM22.50 a week.  And as it comes to RM90 a month can pay for my phone bill already..

So what do I think of my 24" run down bike and with almost all the spokes are rusty?  To me it is a tool that is PUTTING money in my pocket.

What do other people think of my bike?  It is run down and needs to be put in the scrap yard.

Nevermind what other people think lah, then ..    what you think is more important, right?
Wow... Nice say and totally agree with U Bro... We here to enjoy cycling.. rclxms.gif
gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:41 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Aug 19 2013, 10:51 AM)
Tern P9 is a good choice.  thumbup.gif  Speed is about your stamina and also how hard can you pedal. Also your bike's weight is crucial too. If you want speed in your folding bike, Dahon Dash is good and if you can still find the Hammerhead which is sub 10 kg, you found gold! thumbup.gif The Kinetix Pro rims is a standard feature of the Hammerhead.

user posted image

When I was coming down from Genting Peras, at the kampong flats, me and wife also can do 25km/h to 27 km/h average and so did a few more on the Dahon MU P8, KHS F20 even the Kalaq, in addition to mine and wife's Dahon Eco C7. But the point is we know it's only another 10 km run till the coffee shop, but can we go further??? It's endurance also. How long can we last pedalling at high gear? We also need to pace ourselves, know the route well or find out about the route.

Reminds me of a story my friend told me. There was this jamboree trip and there was a thousand riders. As with Jamboree riders, MOST don't know the route and were never well prepared. So the ride started and my friend who knew the route well was starting slowly and his riding companion ask him to hurry. He said, " No worries, with the pace they started off, most won't finish". And he was right, only a small group lasted till the end. Just like the Penang round island ride, half way, most of them were on the municipal lorries.  tongue.gif  Still the best is riding constantly and increasing your speed as you get used to it. A good training is Putrajaya. In the beginning, I started with using the whole range of the 7 speed. Eco C7 is a 7 speed bike. Then after a few rides, i never used the largest 2 cog. Now, I don't shift at all, maintaining at 52T X 13T, eventhough I have 27 speed.  It's never about the bike, it all your own's capability.

I will give a good tip for those who are not really into upgrades. Upgrading a front crank is expensive, we all know it. What you can do is , change the front crank to double, like 50/39 or better still 50/36, very ideal compromise. (can get second hand ones in BBS) Other than that, nothing else. If you ride mainly on flats, use the bigger crank and if on trips to Genting Sempah, Genting Peras or Fraser's Hill, manually shift the chain to the lower ring and used that for the whole trip.

Last week another rider kaki of mine bought a KHS F20. It was actually an 8 speeder but the shop has added a double crank to the bike making it 16 speed. He got it for 1.5K from GW cycle (give and take a little, depending on how good your bargaining power is  tongue.gif ). It's light, much lighter than my Eco C7 and it's fast too. I hear there's another importer for KHS somewhere in Klang and some say it's cheaper than FB Bikes and GW. Check it out.

user posted image
Wow.... This is very useful to newbie like me.. Thank U very much for the advice...

gilbertlhl
post Aug 19 2013, 02:44 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 11:25 AM)
Thanks for the precious tips bro. I think for now I am gonna cycle a lil bit longer with my Raleigh and from there on, will only think bout getting another bike for myself.
I think before change to new bike try change tire first, see can it fulfill ur need...
gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 08:12 AM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(theotheryun @ Aug 20 2013, 12:20 AM)
very very very useful (well,at least for me tongue.gif hehe)
tho mine is ony tourney rd
ther are many times i notice it realy does it job protecting de rd
against the wall, road divider, even from ur own feet
as i ride omos evriday
i glad it comes as a standard spec on my bike
it realy is useful
recomended thumbup.gif
I think its useful also when we put our bike in car...
gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 12:30 PM

Casual
386 posts

I read on some forum, Don't really understand what it mean:

Do I have to pedal faster because of the smaller wheels?
No. The Swift is set up with a larger front chainring, so that the bike pedals just like a bike with large diameter wheels.

gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 12:38 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 20 2013, 12:13 PM)
Riding light? Fully loaded?

Here's my "average":

Speed P8 empty - 17km/h

Speed P8 fully loaded with panniers on both sides (average 20kgs extra weight) - 9 - 13km/h

Jetstream EX - empty on road - 15km/h

Jetstream EX - empty offroad - 8km/h

Eclipse X20 - empty/road - 25km/h

Our favourite 20" bike, cranked to the max at 25km/h...

Moral of the story: the fitter you are, the better your average top-speed...

Sam
My Max speed on my hummer is 35km/h...

But for 30second only la... hahahahahah can not go d, engine to small.... sweat.gif

Sam, ur 25km/h is for how long..??
gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 01:59 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 20 2013, 12:42 PM)
Its a very simple explanation on gear ratio...

For bikes with small wheels, a large chainring (50 - 52T) would give enough power transfer to the cogwheels to propel your bike.

That way, you won't lose any energy when pedaling your bike. On larger wheels (700cc, 29", 26") the bike doesn't need a large chainring (52-55T) to rotate the wheels.

On the average, you get a 50T chainring on a road bike and 46T on a mountain bike.. The only road bikes using large chainrings are Time Trial (TT) bikes..

Hope this helps..

Sam  thumbup.gif
Its mean if 20" wheel with large chainring(55T) and with the same pedaling speed, we might have same speed as 26" or 700cc??
gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 10:59 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Aug 20 2013, 02:48 PM)
ok la... aft kira kira... agak agak...

ur 20inch foldie with kojak... using 55x11 compare to

700x22c road bike with 50x11....

u oni loose bout 2km/h oni.....  brows.gif

so how.. wana order the custom crank 60T from china...  icon_idea.gif
Thank for the calculation.. But i still not really understand, will try to figure out how to calculate.

I no need to over take Road bike(where can over take road bike, Speed=that is what road bike design for..)

Wow... 60T.. Not bad also. i can train pedaling, n maybe can help my stamina improve faster...
gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 11:07 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 20 2013, 02:26 PM)
Easy on the newbie la bro.. hahahah!! biggrin.gif
If you are a seasoned rider, you can go on and on and on and on.. doing flats.. Running out of breath means that your heart is not properly conditioned to the physical strain..

That said, if you really want to test your average on climbing, cruising and speedworks, you should go to Genting Peras in Hulu Langat, Genting Sempah or KKB - Fraser's Hill...

user posted image

Hill climbs is the fastest way to get fit..

Sam
Sam I really admire u can pedal uphill so easily. U must be very fit. I really need to work harder, cos ppl ask me join them go uphill or round Island, I not dare go... sweat.gif

Dun know when i can be ready...
gilbertlhl
post Aug 20 2013, 11:22 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 20 2013, 04:42 PM)
Hahaha!!! New riders la.. Haven't found their niche yet..

Changing tires, wheelset, groupset, add crank and chainring as big as a scooter wheel to climb coconut trees, put everything carbon fibre on the folding bike, won't change anything if you are an unfit cyclist.

Folding bikes are for people who want to take things easy. Some bikes are made to perform and go "fast", but how fast? Well, the bike is as good as the cyclist la..

Based on experience, most newcomer who gets a folding bike and wanted to go fast, overtake road bikes, superbikes, buses, trains and jet fighters would usually end up on a road bike or give up cycling entirely.. Macam tu la..
I think who u join for cycling is very important... if u can found ppl like Sam and also some TaiKo in this forum then u will enjoy cycling n cycling...
gilbertlhl
post Aug 21 2013, 10:48 AM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 21 2013, 10:05 AM)
There is a constant thud thud thud sound each time I pedal. Not sure where it come from. If not pedaling but bike is rolling, there is no such sound. Hence it could be crankset or gear etc? Anyone can help me on this issue?
U try check n see, its only certain gear got noise. if so then u need to tune ur gear abit d.
gilbertlhl
post Aug 21 2013, 12:44 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 21 2013, 11:47 AM)
Ohh, the thud thud sound on whichever gear I was on. Perhaps I need to sent back to the bicycle shop to service. Only a month old bike.
Sometime freewheel also can sound like that. If its the freewheel then just need to grease it... cos sometime the stock freewheel they not grease it enough, so after few ride sound will come out..

This post has been edited by gilbertlhl: Aug 21 2013, 12:46 PM
gilbertlhl
post Aug 21 2013, 09:14 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(theotheryun @ Aug 21 2013, 03:45 PM)
cant make it dis time
myb nex time tongue.gif
have fun thumbup.gif

btw robyn dis is my rd guard (is it called rd guard? sweat.gif )
see those scratches
i realy grateful for this thing realy
hehe
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

cheers
Where can get this thing? how much?
gilbertlhl
post Aug 22 2013, 08:38 AM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Aug 22 2013, 01:19 AM)
taobao la... as low as 3.5 RMB...
u can read chinese stil dun dare to taobao... haih...  doh.gif

user posted image
My chinese fail 1(only can read 4-5 word out of 10 sweat.gif )...

But this think is cheap, can giv a try.

Want to ask,
-Its i see the item,
-then i pass to the agent,
-they will quot me a price,
-then we pay and wait for item to reach?

Any good agent recommend?
gilbertlhl
post Aug 22 2013, 12:03 PM

Casual
386 posts

QUOTE(gataddhin @ Aug 22 2013, 09:46 AM)
Some MTB bikers prefer not to use the rear derailleur guards/protectors because when it hits the rock, the force may rip out the whole bike dropout. It would be costly to replace the frame.

You can buy a used protector. Spray with black paint and it will become new. Once I saw about 15 pieces of used protectors in the toolbox in a bicycle shop. I believe that after servicing those used Japanese bicycles, they prefer not to install them back. No need those guards for city or taman riding....
I want to try(if its not big n gam gam cover the gear) cos when i fold my bike put inside car, either i it will kena the gear or kena the brake..

Thank for the info. I wil try ask the bicycle shop n see..

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0543sec    0.90    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 03:17 PM