Folding Bicycles v2, Dahon, Tern, Java, Oribike, Bromptons

views

TSearl-ku
post Aug 18 2013, 11:46 PM

Chlorophiliac
4,583 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Aug 18 2013, 10:48 PM)
earl-ku

bro, how's the  folding mechanism of the Change?
the bike very interesting... can compare with montague...

saw ur post on this bike, made a search...
frame only is also available.. seems affordable... smile.gif

how else can you fold a bicycle.....  tongue.gif

the folding mechanism seems to be sturdier than montague ...

the montague is american ... and change is taiwanese ...

the folding is a bit troublesome at times ...
mbax
post Aug 19 2013, 12:04 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

Nice one guy.. Just came back from jitra, pay a visit to the shop that we got the eco 7 from. Wana get a bike for my son, and got the bike that look like scrambler for him. Saw last 3 unit dahon there, red eco7, blue mup8 and espresso. All is old stock, ask the owner whether will order new stock, he say if somebody want he will order as it was different from these old stock. The quality not the same..
H2D
post Aug 19 2013, 12:10 AM

On my way
598 posts

QUOTE(earl-ku @ Aug 18 2013, 11:46 PM)
the folding mechanism seems to be sturdier than montague ...
the montague is american ... and change is taiwanese ...
the folding is a bit troublesome at times ...
troublesome is not a problem...
solid it has to be... for off road bashing.... biggrin.gif

this bike is rare, even in taiwan...
great that u can get ur hands on one...
TSearl-ku
post Aug 19 2013, 12:11 AM

Chlorophiliac
4,583 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Aug 19 2013, 12:10 AM)
troublesome is not a problem...
solid it has to be... for off road bashing....  biggrin.gif

this bike is rare, even in taiwan...
great that u can get ur hands on one...
once u get the hang of it then folding it will be easier ... easier ... but not a breeze ...

yeah there is a few videos of them using the bike on some mtb trail ...

mine is a monocoque fork ... and there was a wild though of replacing that with a suspension fork ...

This post has been edited by earl-ku: Aug 19 2013, 12:28 AM
theotheryun
post Aug 19 2013, 01:11 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 18 2013, 10:19 PM)
hi all, i would like to ask... doppelganger not favourable here? why is that so..? thanks

is all folding bike can be customized? say brakes.. FD, RD... and such... i was in MTB before, now looking to get a foldable bike..
mostly all can be customized

QUOTE(ggMing @ Aug 18 2013, 10:41 PM)
what model is that... love that racing bike handle
ah
dat is miragen 217

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 18 2013, 10:43 PM)
that red bike is a doppel, belongs to theotheryun.    Where are you?  Theotheryun?  modified kao kao with hydraulic brake sum more..
wher got modified kao kao la
change tyre n rear brake ony

haiz
im tired
will post again later on
daa biggrin.gif

cheers
ahsam1212
post Aug 19 2013, 01:49 AM

Getting Started
178 posts

Wow...how much is that changebike? Looks great.
Imported from Taiwan?

This post has been edited by ahsam1212: Aug 19 2013, 01:50 AM
adriankhoo153
post Aug 19 2013, 07:58 AM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

Pindah to new thread. Woot

Have a ride with group of foldie that came to Setia Alam for joining Half Marathon New Balance route. 21km in total. Damn, lots of them riding poisonous bike! There is two Mouton to start with. Pauline Lee who are the organizer with her touring Moulton which she get it from Melbourne. She even have a Brompton. Then there is a guy from Kota Kemuning also with his shiny chrome Moulton!

Then there is a few Bike Friday. The highlight is a custom made Wheelsport foldie. The rider are actually a Taiwanese couple and the guy is the designer for Wheelsport! Some say he own Wheelsport too.

Another white bike looks like Airnimal foldie. There is also Vanesnesa and Brian from Vans Urban riding a Tern P9 and Link C7.

What an event! Just when I thought it is just a normal foldie event and turned up to be such a glamorous folding bike. There I am with my humble Raleigh Ugo. Very malu lah. Hahaha

Attached Image
This is the Moulton TSR thumbup.gif

Attached Image
Very nice event.. icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by adriankhoo153: Aug 19 2013, 08:10 AM
etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 09:07 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 07:58 AM)
Pindah to new thread. Woot

Have a ride with group of foldie that came to Setia Alam for joining Half Marathon New Balance route. 21km in total. Damn, lots of them riding poisonous bike! There is two Mouton to start with. Pauline Lee who are the organizer with her touring Moulton which she get it from Melbourne. She even have a Brompton. Then there is a guy from Kota Kemuning also with his shiny chrome Moulton!

Then there is a few Bike Friday. The highlight is a custom made Wheelsport foldie. The rider are actually a Taiwanese couple and the guy is the designer for Wheelsport! Some say he own Wheelsport too.

Another white bike looks like Airnimal foldie. There is also Vanesnesa and Brian from Vans Urban riding a Tern P9 and Link C7.

What an event! Just when I thought it is just a normal foldie event and turned up to be such a glamorous folding bike. There I am with my humble Raleigh Ugo. Very malu lah. Hahaha

Attached Image
This is the Moulton TSR  thumbup.gif

Attached Image
Very nice event..  icon_rolleyes.gif
We just ride with what we can afford. Most important is to have fun and also sweat out a bit at the same time. After so long I still ride my humble Dahon Eco C7 and so does my wife. It's fine with me, even from Kuala Kubu Bahru to Fraser's Hill and a friend of mine rides the Kalaq tongue.gif also can reach Fraser's Hill. It's the engine that's important. icon_rolleyes.gif

Feeling inferior seeing others in expensive bikes is usual but feeling proud and arrogant seeing others in cheaper bikes is also usual. But feeling dissapointed when failing to catch up with the inferior bikes is even more pronounced! Hahahaha. tongue.gif
etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 09:08 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

?

This post has been edited by etigge: Aug 19 2013, 09:09 AM
adriankhoo153
post Aug 19 2013, 09:29 AM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Aug 19 2013, 09:07 AM)
We just ride with what we can afford. Most important is to have fun and also sweat out a bit at the same time. After so long I still ride my humble Dahon Eco C7 and so does my wife. It's fine with me, even from Kuala Kubu Bahru to Fraser's Hill and a friend of mine rides the Kalaq  tongue.gif  also can reach Fraser's Hill. It's the engine that's important.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Feeling inferior seeing others in expensive bikes is usual but feeling proud and arrogant seeing others in cheaper bikes is also usual. But feeling dissapointed when failing to catch up with the inferior bikes is even more pronounced! Hahahaha. tongue.gif
The bike there are awesome. Take very little effort for them on hill climbing and pedaling. I can see the different between a powerhorse and a entry level folding bike. The normal cruising speed is about 25kmh. drool.gif
My passion towards a foldie is burning high. Lusting for more power. brows.gif

Hmm, am thinking of Tern P9 perhaps? icon_rolleyes.gif
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:36 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:29 AM)
The bike there are awesome. Take very little effort for them on hill climbing and pedaling. I can see the different between a powerhorse and a entry level folding bike. The normal cruising speed is about 25kmh.  drool.gif
My passion towards a foldie is burning high. Lusting for more power.  brows.gif

Hmm, am thinking of Tern P9 perhaps?  icon_rolleyes.gif
Ya, my cruising speed is from 22 to 28 km/hour.... on well rested legs.. heh heh..
adriankhoo153
post Aug 19 2013, 09:39 AM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 19 2013, 09:36 AM)
Ya,  my cruising speed is from 22 to 28 km/hour....  on well rested legs.. heh heh..
U r on Tern P9?
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:39 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:39 AM)
U r on Tern P9?
almost similar, but with more gears ... Tern verge p18
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:40 AM

28 posts

When we see other bikes better than ours, we just admire lah. But no one can claim his bike to be the best, as there will always be someone with a better bike or perceived higher value bike. The key word is perception.
If you think your bike is good, it is good.

We do what we can with our limited money, lah. If you can afford it, go for it. But not at the expense of our daily necessities or future needs like life savings, children's education, medical expenses.

Have you seen the type of bikes that most Dutch people ride? It is mostly functional, it just gets you from A to B. Their bike carriers can be made of discarded wooden boxes. Not glamourous, high specs or what.
Their bikes are Practical! Which means their bikes are saving them money for other uses, instead of them spending more money on their bikes.... heh heh.

And this makes sense to me. I have two bikes. One is Tern - that one for weekend rides and occasionally ride from PJ to KL to work. The other one I use amost daily - an old bike (24 inch steel and very rusty bike) to the LRT station, lock and park it there for free. My car is parked at friend's house for minimum charge, still got to pay lah.
Ride about 2 km to LRT. So I save parking of RM3 and save some petrol going to the LRT worth about RM1. I get some exercise too and for that I put a value of about RM0.50 (instead of going to the Gym which costs me RM3 a day, whether I use the gym or not)

Daily savings of RM4.50 is RM22.50 a week. And as it comes to RM90 a month can pay for my phone bill already..

So what do I think of my 24" run down bike and with almost all the spokes are rusty? To me it is a tool that is PUTTING money in my pocket.

What do other people think of my bike? It is run down and needs to be put in the scrap yard.

Nevermind what other people think lah, then .. what you think is more important, right?

adriankhoo153
post Aug 19 2013, 09:41 AM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 19 2013, 09:39 AM)
almost similar, but with more gears ...  Tern verge p18
Wow, expensive bike! thumbup.gif
Btw, where go u get your bike from?
Any place selling better price for Tern other than Rodalink or Vans Urban?
adriankhoo153
post Aug 19 2013, 09:43 AM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 19 2013, 09:40 AM)
When we see other bikes better than ours, we just admire lah.  But no one can claim his bike to be the best, as there will always be someone with a better bike or perceived higher value bike.  The key word is perception.
If you think your bike is good, it is good.

We do what we can with our limited money, lah.  If you can afford it, go for it.  But not at the expense of our daily necessities or future needs like life savings, children's education, medical expenses.

Have you seen the type of bikes that most Dutch people ride?  It is mostly functional, it just gets you from A to B.  Their bike carriers can be made of discarded wooden boxes.  Not glamourous, high specs or what.
Their bikes are Practical! Which means their bikes are saving them money for other uses, instead of them spending more money on their bikes....  heh heh.

And this makes sense to me.  I have two bikes.  One is Tern - that one for weekend rides and occasionally ride from PJ to KL to work.  The other one I use amost daily  - an old bike (24 inch steel and very rusty bike) to the LRT station, lock and park it there for free.  My car is parked at friend's house for minimum charge, still got to pay lah.
Ride about 2 km to LRT.    So I save parking of RM3 and save some petrol going to the LRT worth about RM1.  I get some exercise too and for that I put a value of about RM0.50 (instead of going to the Gym which costs me RM3 a day, whether I use the gym or not)

Daily savings of RM4.50 is RM22.50 a week.  And as it comes to RM90 a month can pay for my phone bill already..

So what do I think of my 24" run down bike and with almost all the spokes are rusty?  To me it is a tool that is PUTTING money in my pocket.

What do other people think of my bike?  It is run down and needs to be put in the scrap yard.

Nevermind what other people think lah, then ..    what you think is more important, right?
Nicely said bro..nicely said.. notworthy.gif
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:53 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:41 AM)
Wow, expensive bike!  thumbup.gif
Btw, where go u get your bike from?
Any place selling better price for Tern other than Rodalink or Vans Urban?
Bought from rodalink at about RM3.4 K, Got a 10% discount.

Vans Urban sometimes can give very good discount for some of their display demo bikes.

Once, they had a speedy Tern Verge X10 which is list price at RM5.4 K was about RM4.4K, I think.

Keep a look out on their Facebook page, sometimes really good offers. I got a RM80 tern carry on bag, at 50% discount ! Aiya, should have bought one more, lah.
surfsmurf
post Aug 19 2013, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
101 posts

van is also selling bike Friday.
etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 10:51 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:29 AM)
The bike there are awesome. Take very little effort for them on hill climbing and pedaling. I can see the different between a powerhorse and a entry level folding bike. The normal cruising speed is about 25kmh.  drool.gif
My passion towards a foldie is burning high. Lusting for more power.  brows.gif

Hmm, am thinking of Tern P9 perhaps?  icon_rolleyes.gif
Tern P9 is a good choice. thumbup.gif Speed is about your stamina and also how hard can you pedal. Also your bike's weight is crucial too. If you want speed in your folding bike, Dahon Dash is good and if you can still find the Hammerhead which is sub 10 kg, you found gold! thumbup.gif The Kinetix Pro rims is a standard feature of the Hammerhead.

user posted image

When I was coming down from Genting Peras, at the kampong flats, me and wife also can do 25km/h to 27 km/h average and so did a few more on the Dahon MU P8, KHS F20 even the Kalaq, in addition to mine and wife's Dahon Eco C7. But the point is we know it's only another 10 km run till the coffee shop, but can we go further??? It's endurance also. How long can we last pedalling at high gear? We also need to pace ourselves, know the route well or find out about the route.

Reminds me of a story my friend told me. There was this jamboree trip and there was a thousand riders. As with Jamboree riders, MOST don't know the route and were never well prepared. So the ride started and my friend who knew the route well was starting slowly and his riding companion ask him to hurry. He said, " No worries, with the pace they started off, most won't finish". And he was right, only a small group lasted till the end. Just like the Penang round island ride, half way, most of them were on the municipal lorries. tongue.gif Still the best is riding constantly and increasing your speed as you get used to it. A good training is Putrajaya. In the beginning, I started with using the whole range of the 7 speed. Eco C7 is a 7 speed bike. Then after a few rides, i never used the largest 2 cog. Now, I don't shift at all, maintaining at 52T X 13T, eventhough I have 27 speed. It's never about the bike, it all your own's capability.

I will give a good tip for those who are not really into upgrades. Upgrading a front crank is expensive, we all know it. What you can do is , change the front crank to double, like 50/39 or better still 50/36, very ideal compromise. (can get second hand ones in BBS) Other than that, nothing else. If you ride mainly on flats, use the bigger crank and if on trips to Genting Sempah, Genting Peras or Fraser's Hill, manually shift the chain to the lower ring and used that for the whole trip.

Last week another rider kaki of mine bought a KHS F20. It was actually an 8 speeder but the shop has added a double crank to the bike making it 16 speed. He got it for 1.5K from GW cycle (give and take a little, depending on how good your bargaining power is tongue.gif ). It's light, much lighter than my Eco C7 and it's fast too. I hear there's another importer for KHS somewhere in Klang and some say it's cheaper than FB Bikes and GW. Check it out.

user posted image
KTCY
post Aug 19 2013, 10:54 AM

BumbleBee™
All Stars
12,461 posts

QUOTE(mbax @ Aug 19 2013, 12:04 AM)
Nice one guy.. Just came back from jitra, pay a visit to the shop that we got the eco 7 from. Wana get a bike for my son, and got the bike that look like scrambler for him. Saw last 3 unit dahon there, red eco7, blue mup8 and espresso. All is old stock, ask the owner whether will order new stock, he say if somebody want he will order as it was different from these old stock. The quality not the same..
@bold : what's the price for old model ?

144 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0334sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:17 PM