Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Model Kits/Toys Painting, Building, Modding Thread, v4

views

carpathia
post Apr 15 2021, 10:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,565 posts

Step by step guide on reverse wash by GBWC winner ( 2nd and 3rd place ) Mr Joo Aun.

Marcion
post Apr 15 2021, 02:49 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

I was wonder the industry thinner sales on hardware or car spray paint and hobby thinner are the same?
carpathia
post Apr 15 2021, 07:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,565 posts

QUOTE(Marcion @ Apr 15 2021, 02:49 PM)
I was wonder the industry thinner sales on hardware or car spray paint and hobby thinner are the same?
Not same. hardware shop thinner mixture too strong/not fine enough, some hobby paint ok but i dont recommend. Use the hardware shop thinner to clean your airbrush ok, but dont mix with your paint
Marcion
post Apr 15 2021, 07:53 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

QUOTE(carpathia @ Apr 15 2021, 08:08 PM)
Not same. hardware shop thinner mixture too strong/not fine enough, some hobby paint ok but i dont recommend. Use the hardware shop thinner to clean your airbrush ok, but dont mix with your paint
is Mr. paint remover able to do that kind of trick show in youtube remove black color to show only gold color? or just have to used hobby thinner?
carpathia
post Apr 15 2021, 09:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,565 posts

QUOTE(Marcion @ Apr 15 2021, 07:53 PM)
is Mr. paint remover able to do that kind of trick show in youtube remove black color to show only gold color? or just have to used hobby thinner?
Can't vouch for mr paint remover...never tried
ben_ang
post Apr 16 2021, 08:58 AM

赤い彗星!三倍速度!
1,937 posts

QUOTE(Marcion @ Apr 15 2021, 07:53 PM)
u are talking abt using lacquer as base and enamel layer on top, then remove the top enamel layer using thinner rite?
if yes, then zippo lighter fuel should be fine enough to remove the enamel layer, it wont remove the lacquer base layer,
since the fuel is not strong enough to remove lacquer base paint.

doket
post Apr 16 2021, 02:57 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(ben_ang @ Apr 16 2021, 08:58 AM)
u are talking abt using lacquer as base and enamel layer on top, then remove the top enamel layer using thinner rite?
if yes, then zippo lighter fuel should be fine enough to remove the enamel layer, it wont remove the lacquer base layer,
since the fuel is not strong enough to remove lacquer base paint.
how bout if acrylic paint as base and acrylic on top? i only have acrylic paints...
ben_ang
post Apr 16 2021, 03:46 PM

赤い彗星!三倍速度!
1,937 posts

QUOTE(doket @ Apr 16 2021, 02:57 PM)
how bout if acrylic paint as base and acrylic on top? i only have acrylic paints...
nv actually tested b4, but heard they say is not recommended, most of the time they
will apply a clear coat b4 the enamel, and it need to be fully cured only apply enamel paint on top.
coz enamel is stronger, the thinner inside might actually eat through if acrylic not cured enough or
apply too thick enamel. based on wat i understand. tongue.gif

doket
post Apr 16 2021, 08:22 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(ben_ang @ Apr 16 2021, 03:46 PM)
nv actually tested b4, but heard they say is not recommended, most of the time they
will apply a clear coat b4 the enamel, and it need to be fully cured only apply enamel paint on top.
coz enamel is stronger, the thinner inside might actually eat through if acrylic not cured enough or
apply too thick enamel. based on wat i understand.  tongue.gif
oh i see. i am new here.
no wonder, i ever finish apply acrylic paint on my tank model and after that apply a bit tamiya extra thin cement want to glue it to other part and the paint went off...
beside, i just learning. so 1st i dont know what kind of paint i should buy. i just buy pre-thin acrylic paint coz they are easy to get. i dont know how to mix my own paints...

This post has been edited by doket: Apr 16 2021, 08:25 PM
ben_ang
post Apr 16 2021, 09:47 PM

赤い彗星!三倍速度!
1,937 posts

QUOTE(doket @ Apr 16 2021, 08:22 PM)
oh i see. i am new here.
no wonder, i ever finish apply acrylic paint on my tank model and after that apply a bit tamiya extra thin cement want to glue it to other part and the paint went off...
beside, i just learning. so 1st i dont know what kind of paint i should buy. i just buy pre-thin acrylic paint coz they are easy to get. i dont know how to mix my own paints...
usually painting is after you done all those sanding & glueing, from my own understanding, cement content quite lotta solvent,
which will melt plastic, which it should, in order to bind 2 parts together, so it would definitely melt the weakest acrylic paint, I
think it will melt lacquer also, its just simply its job, to melt.
nothing wrong with pre-thin paint, its ez, no need to fiddle with ratios. actually its not hard also, can look for EA gunpla in youtube, he
got teach thining paint tutorial which i think its quite good.
1 of the pros of the concentrate paint is flexibility, u can adjust the consistency tat u need, even can direct apply using brushes, can't
do tat with pre-thinned paint, too low viscos. biggrin.gif
gundamsp01
post Apr 29 2021, 01:31 PM

gunpla procrastinator
641 posts

just curious, what is the most scratch-resistant paint brand you used?

Normally i use lacquer paint and I am using gaianotes but find that this brand is easily scratched...any other recommendation? (modo, finisher's, alchemy, mr hobby etc)

Or if there is any other way to make paint more scratch resistant, please do teach me notworthy.gif
doket
post May 2 2021, 02:28 PM

16 posts

hi, sifu, can i mix lacquer and acrylic paints? like primer with lacquer grey then base with acrylic ?
chinti
post May 3 2021, 09:09 AM

Tarak Drama, Kita Bikin Drama
1,567 posts

hi everyone, wan to learn airbrushing.
can recommend a beginner kit? or is the below 1 good enough for beginner?

https://shopee.com.my/Vogue-Air-Mini-Compre...6574.6362187973
GameFr3ak
post May 3 2021, 12:15 PM

I hate cutting
3,775 posts

QUOTE(chinti @ May 3 2021, 09:09 AM)

This is the exact compressor and airbrush I used when I started. It is ....usable. It's good for you to get a hang of taking care of an airbrush and painting in general. Get this, use it to do a few kits. If you really like the hobby and would like to commit... then consider getting a better compressor and airbrush.

Better compressor would be something like this compressor with a tank

For airbrush, it gets expensive pretty quick. You can stick to the shitty airbrush first and once you got the technique down, try upgrading to slightly better ones... maybe the madworks airbrush or the procon boy..
chinti
post May 3 2021, 12:18 PM

Tarak Drama, Kita Bikin Drama
1,567 posts

QUOTE(GameFr3ak @ May 3 2021, 12:15 PM)
This is the exact compressor and airbrush I used when I started. It is ....usable. It's good for you to get a hang of taking care of an airbrush and painting in general. Get this, use it to do a few kits. If you really like the hobby and would like to commit... then consider getting a better compressor and airbrush.

Better compressor would be something like this compressor with a tank

For airbrush, it gets expensive pretty quick. You can stick to the shitty airbrush first and once you got the technique down, try upgrading to slightly better ones... maybe the madworks airbrush or the procon boy..
i saw tht compressor with airbrush for around 500+...not sure if i will really spend time in this so i guess better not throw in so much money first
if it usable and can still spray the kit then i guess its fine. smile.gif
carpathia
post May 3 2021, 01:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,565 posts

QUOTE(chinti @ May 3 2021, 09:09 AM)

visit your local hobby store, use theirs first.
GameFr3ak
post May 3 2021, 01:59 PM

I hate cutting
3,775 posts

QUOTE(chinti @ May 3 2021, 12:18 PM)
i saw tht compressor with airbrush for around 500+...not sure if i will really spend time in this so i guess better not throw in so much money first
if it usable and can still spray the kit then i guess its fine.  smile.gif
You could do what Carpathia said and test out what airbrushing is like and I think most stores will be happy to guide you in person... I don't necessarily mean that exact model la ... there are cheaper models out there... https://shopee.com.my/(Ready-Stock)-Airtank...3584.5431091072
carpathia
post May 4 2021, 10:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,565 posts

QUOTE(GameFr3ak @ May 3 2021, 01:59 PM)
You could do what Carpathia said and test out what airbrushing is like and I think most stores will be happy to guide you in person... I don't necessarily mean that exact model la ... there are cheaper models out there... https://shopee.com.my/(Ready-Stock)-Airtank...3584.5431091072
Yup, you can learn from youtube and website but you will face lot of trial and errors. Go to a proper hobby store and get them to teach you on the spot! you will save so much time and money wei

43 Pages « < 41 42 43Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0215sec    0.60    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 9th May 2021 - 09:28 AM