Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

42 Pages « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Prospective Law Students Gateway V2, A basic guide to become a lawyer

views

LJust
post Dec 3 2017, 06:54 PM

1 posts

Hi guys, i have LLB from the UOL. I am thinking an option to do Juris doctor(JD) at USYD or UNSW. I have the opportunity to do it. Is it worth it given that both have very good and higher reputation than UOL. I plan to practice in Malaysia though, but law schools at USYD and UNSW are like within top 15 of the world, and i could receive the Australian practising cert with Juris doctor.

This post has been edited by LJust: Dec 3 2017, 06:55 PM
Jchew57
post Dec 12 2017, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

Would like to ask, if I have diploma and not STPM or A-levels and i want to take CLP exam.

Is that possible? What are the odds?

okgun
post Dec 17 2017, 07:57 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(Jchew57 @ Dec 12 2017, 10:41 PM)
Would like to ask, if I have diploma and not STPM or A-levels and i want to take CLP exam.

Is that possible? What are the odds?
I sat for the CLP exam in 2014. (I have SPM, Diploma, LLB), Better check again with LPQB because there might be changes to the rules and regulations.
jun6065168
post Dec 25 2017, 11:04 PM

Getting Started
190 posts

Just wondering. Are you able to appeal the result for CLP? A friend of mine got conditional pass again after the retest but he's pretty sure he got everything correctly.
melvin418
post Jan 15 2018, 12:02 AM

Getting Started
145 posts

I have a LLB Law degree from a recognized Uni and SPM . However, I do not have A-levels or STPM. Can I still apply for CLP using my foundation, LLB and SPM? Did anyone apply using their foundation and got accepted?
VanillaScoop
post Jan 25 2018, 01:05 AM

Getting Started
195 posts

Are there any CLP holders with a law degree from Australia? I'm planning to pursue CLP after graduating this year. But I've only just noticed the CLP New Guidelines (ANZ) requiring CLP applicants to be qualified persons by 'being qualified to gain admission as a barrister or solicitor and having passed the requisite subjects prescribed by the respective Barristers/Solicitors Board'.

Excerpt extracted as below
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The problem comes in where I'm planning to choose Labour Law as my law elective as opposed to Ethics and Legal Profession because I think it might give me a better edge if I decide not to pursue a legal career in Malaysia and instead go for Human Resources field overseas. But Ethics and Legal Profession is required along with another 2 subjects in order to be admitted to the bar in Australia.

All in all, if my understanding is correct, if I intend to take on CLP, I have to be qualified to be admitted to the bar as well in Australia? Any CLP holders do please advice. I'm glad I read about it now (better late than never) before I screw myself up for enrolling to the wrong course in a few days time.
rexus
post Jan 29 2018, 06:17 PM

Bruh
604 posts

QUOTE(VanillaScoop @ Jan 25 2018, 01:05 AM)
Are there any CLP holders with a law degree from Australia? I'm planning to pursue CLP after graduating this year. But I've only just noticed the CLP New Guidelines (ANZ) requiring CLP applicants to be qualified persons by 'being qualified to gain admission as a barrister or solicitor and having passed the requisite subjects prescribed by the respective Barristers/Solicitors Board'.

Excerpt extracted as below
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The problem comes in where I'm planning to choose Labour Law as my law elective as opposed to Ethics and Legal Profession because I think it might give me a better edge if I decide not to pursue a legal career in Malaysia and instead go for Human Resources field overseas. But Ethics and Legal Profession is required along with another 2 subjects in order to be admitted to the bar in Australia.

All in all, if my understanding is correct, if I intend to take on CLP, I have to be qualified to be admitted to the bar as well in Australia? Any CLP holders do please advice. I'm glad I read about it now (better late than never) before I screw myself up for enrolling to the wrong course in a few days time.
Got this from LPQB website:

A recognised law degree which was studied for a minimum of 3 academic years and contain a minimum of 12 law subjects out of which you must have passed 6 core subjects (i.e. Law of Contract; Law of Torts; Constitutional Law; Criminal Law; Land Law; and Equity & Trusts which each was studied for the duration of 1 academic year). The law degree must have been obtained within 6 years of initial registration with the university.

Ron5
post Feb 19 2018, 06:50 PM

8 posts

So, I'm someone who's looking to pursue a career in law. Does this field now have a bright future in Malaysia? Are law graduates able to secure jobs in good firms quickly? Is there anything someone like me ought to know? Thanks. Also, which is the best Pre-U qualification for law as of now? STPM? A-Levels?

This post has been edited by Ron5: Feb 19 2018, 06:51 PM
jitd
post Feb 20 2018, 02:16 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

Has anyone here gotten their personal documents certified as true copies of the original for admission to the inns of court?

Who did you go to for the certification. I digged up on the internet and found out that apparently there was a circular saying that commissioner of oaths arent allowed to do so anymore.

Where else can i go? Would prefer somewhere That can do it for free/cheap.
roy595
post Mar 16 2018, 03:30 AM

38 posts

To keep things short, is Law still a good career choice today? How is the job market and the general landscape around here these days?
Any thoughts?

This post has been edited by roy595: Mar 19 2018, 06:59 AM
believe92
post Apr 10 2018, 10:00 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(roy595 @ Mar 16 2018, 03:30 AM)
To keep things short, is Law still a good career choice today? How is the job market and the general landscape around here these days?
Any thoughts?
Depends on whether it means 'good' relative to other career choices?
Law is a matured and arguably sunlight profession, growth is slowing and the Malaysian market is slow and undynamic. If you are looking for growth areas and high rising potential, probably look into computer related industries or private equity etc.
Law offers good 'prestige', but you can't use it to buy a house or even dinner. Do not expect a lawyers pay to be relatively higher than other professions at a fresh grad/junior level. Starting pay can range from 1500 to 3500. Even at the top end, you get similar pay as Big 4 accountants and less than IB or management consultancy. Pay only sky rockets when you are much much much more senior. Go into law in Malaysia if you are in it for the long game.
Probably can consider practicing as a lawyer overseas (SG, US, UK, HK etc), the pay and prestige is relatively higher compared to other professions in those respective countries . Lawyers are usually within the top 3 list well paid professions at those jurisdictions. Not Malaysia.

zzerosz
post Jun 17 2018, 01:26 AM

Getting Started
177 posts

Hi all sifus

I am from accounting and finance background and currently working as a corporate advisory in a boutique advisory firm.

I'm now considering to enroll in the part-time course of either BoJ (external course in UM) or LLB of UoL (most likely will enroll the classes in BAC). I understand the course structure or modules are different for both of the courses. So I would like to have some feedback from you guys before I make my decision.

1) I understand that the BoJ is mainly based on Malaysian Law and UoL is based on U.K. Law. But when come to looking for a job after the graduation, does the candidate with the LLB of UoL have the advantage compare to the BoJ? As I heard from some practitioners that practice in U.K Law always has the advantage.

2) Is the requirement of admission to the CLP is to have at least second upper for the LLB of UoL (external course)? or even with a second lower LLB is more than enough?

3) Is it possible to do the UoL LLB (external course) purely by self-study? Or I should say, is it doable? Because I'm actually done the self-study on CFA and ACCA but I'm not sure whether it is the same thing for this course or it is a different ball game.

4) I'm turning 25 this year and I assume to get the CLP by age 29. Is it a little too old for me to start as the pupilage? I understand there is no age restriction on this. But I'm not sure whether in the field is there any norm in age discrimination.

Thank you in advance and in a meanwhile, I will continue my research on this matter in order to make a wise choice. Cheers!

solstice818
post Jun 29 2018, 02:28 PM

You'll Never Walk Alone
4,396 posts

QUOTE(roy595 @ Mar 16 2018, 03:30 AM)
Any thoughts?
It's still a good career choice but a little competitive given the number of law grads local uni and overseas uni are producing. The pay is however a concern and you will probably get higher pay practicing outside of Malaysia.

This post has been edited by solstice818: Jun 29 2018, 02:30 PM
RobA4
post Jul 6 2018, 02:41 PM

Getting Started
189 posts

Like any career, if you have a passion for it, the likelihood of success will always be high.

Pay should not be a factor at the outset because when you go higher up, the increment in income grows exponentially.
Christopher7
post Jul 7 2018, 05:44 PM

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
1,043 posts

Just wonder is it a good idea to do self learn UOL LLB? I did a little bit of research saying that is quite tough but I just do not have enough time to attend to lecturer and tutorial everyday

I did my bachelor in Marketing many years back and turning 30 next year.

Never do STPM before and not really going to Practise as a lawyer still I just curious why one must do STPM or A-Level in order to be qualified for CLP :/

melvin418
post Oct 1 2018, 12:12 AM

Getting Started
145 posts

Deleted

This post has been edited by melvin418: Oct 1 2018, 02:52 AM
Exodius
post Oct 21 2018, 02:37 PM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(melvin418 @ Jan 15 2018, 12:02 AM)
I have a LLB Law degree from a recognized Uni and SPM . However, I do not have A-levels or STPM. Can I still apply for CLP using my foundation, LLB and SPM? Did anyone apply using their foundation and got accepted?
Hi Melvin how have it been for your situation? I have similar situation as yours but I opt for bptc instead . Are you in clp right now?
melvin418
post Oct 21 2018, 06:19 PM

Getting Started
145 posts

QUOTE(Exodius @ Oct 21 2018, 02:37 PM)
Hi Melvin how have it been for your situation? I have similar situation as yours but I opt for bptc instead . Are you in clp right now?
I have just completed my clp this year . I applied for the clp using my foundation cert, SPM and LLB. Before I applied, I’ve asked the lecturers of the campus and they mentioned that 90% that the foundation cert may be rejected by the LPQB. But I went ahead and applied anyway, and it got accepted by the board surprisingly.

This post has been edited by melvin418: Oct 21 2018, 06:21 PM
Exodius
post Oct 21 2018, 11:32 PM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(melvin418 @ Oct 21 2018, 06:19 PM)
I have just completed my clp this year . I applied for the clp using my foundation cert, SPM and LLB. Before I applied, I’ve asked the lecturers of the campus and they mentioned that 90% that the foundation cert may be rejected by the LPQB. But I went ahead and applied anyway, and it got accepted by the board surprisingly.
wow congrats ! ! May I know what kind of foundation it is and which university ? Thanks . This would be really helpful for me to advice my juniors in future.

Have you applied for any firms? Haha

This post has been edited by Exodius: Oct 21 2018, 11:32 PM
melvin418
post Oct 23 2018, 03:31 AM

Getting Started
145 posts

QUOTE(Exodius @ Oct 21 2018, 11:32 PM)
wow congrats ! ! May I know what kind of foundation it is and which university ? Thanks . This would be really helpful for me to advice my juniors in future.

Have you applied for any firms? Haha
I took my foundation in Sabah . It’s called Jesselton college. I took the foundation for international university studies or something like that . But it’s not advisable to go for foundation as few of my friends applied using their foundation certs and got rejected tho.

And no i havent applied to any firms yet as I’m taking a break in my hometown. I’ll apply once I’m back in KL.

Which firm are you in right now ?

This post has been edited by melvin418: Oct 23 2018, 03:35 AM

42 Pages « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0300sec    0.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:00 AM