Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.
117 Pages « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »  
RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Public Mutual v4, Public/PB series funds

j.passing.by
post Jan 18 2013, 08:53 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(sunshine_tan @ Jan 18 2013, 12:22 AM)
Hai...I always heard about public mutual but not really understand about it.
May I know izit good for us who just start work and wanna hv some investment?
QUOTE(Alfredkuok01 @ Jan 18 2013, 12:25 AM)
Public mutual no gud,they got no guaranteed return.my parents was bought 2years ago,but the agents told my parents sure earn money!!!but few month ago when I check for them their bal r negative!!!!
Welcome to the forum...

Is Public Mutual good or not, and suitable for those just joining the rat race?
Yes and no.

To me, it is a financial vehicle to place my savings just like any other financial vehicle like savings account, fixed deposits, and EPF. It is a unit trust fund - a fund that pools our money to invest in financial instruments in the share market, bonds, warrants, securities, etc.

"Investment" has several connotations; as in investing in a business, or making savings. It is the latter context that would be relevant here - making savings.

We are building savings and placing them in appropriate financial vehicle to hedge the savings against inflation. It wouldn't be any good if we just keep our savings under our pillows - the monies will slowly loose their value against inflation over time.

Yes, unit trust funds unlike fixed deposits or EPF, do not have any guaranteed returns. Anyone who told you otherwise had given you false information.

To understand whether this particular savings vehicle is good or not, you will need to know your personal purpose and motive for making the savings, how much you can and want to save, and how long to build up the savings.

You should be able to get more and detail info from Public Mutual website and other investment blogs.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
j.passing.by
post Jan 18 2013, 09:26 PM

On my way

QUOTE(1282009 @ Jan 18 2013, 12:57 AM)
Hi guys, anyone bought the PRS growth fund? What's the potential/risk? I understand this is tax deductable.
QUOTE(David83 @ Jan 18 2013, 07:53 AM)
All PRS from approved PRS providers are eligible for tax relief.
did not thoroughly checked them out but it seemed like some of the them piggyback on other (existing) funds... so the potential/risk should be the same.

yes, good for the tax relief, and only if wanted to start another portfolio... half here, half there would not be good; can't play around and do switches between them...

to earn the tax relief, need to put up the money first, then request tax refund the next year?!!!

beware of the penalties of early exit... don't think you can bluff hasil by cancelling the PRS after taking the tax relief.

+Quote Post
David83
post Jan 18 2013, 09:32 PM

Witch Doctor
Group Icon
Group: Elite

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 18 2013, 09:26 PM)
did not thoroughly checked them out but it seemed like some of the them piggyback on other (existing) funds... so the potential/risk should be the same.

yes, good for the tax relief, and only if wanted to start another portfolio... half here, half there would not be good; can't play around and do switches between them...

to earn the tax relief, need to put up the money first, then request tax refund the next year?!!!

beware of the penalties of early exit... don't think you can bluff hasil by cancelling the PRS after taking the tax relief.
For PRS related discussion, you can raise at the dedicated PRS thread.
+Quote Post
post Jan 19 2013, 01:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(David83 @ Jan 18 2013, 09:32 PM)
For PRS related discussion, you can raise at the dedicated PRS thread.
Oops, sorry. I thought the PRS growth fund is part of public mutual discussion.

+Quote Post
post Jan 19 2013, 01:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 18 2013, 09:26 PM)

For me, I plan for long term investment, in this case until retirement ie. 55 years old. I was told we do not need to "subscribe" or buy every year which is something good as it does not incurr commitment like those insurance investment link. Correct me if I'm wrong.

+Quote Post
Kaka23
post Jan 19 2013, 07:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(1282009 @ Jan 19 2013, 02:04 AM)
For me, I plan for long term investment, in this case until retirement ie. 55 years old. I was told we do not need to "subscribe" or buy every year which is something good as it does not incurr commitment like those insurance investment link. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeap...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
j.passing.by
post Jan 19 2013, 11:57 AM

On my way

QUOTE(1282009 @ Jan 19 2013, 01:04 AM)
the tax relief is only for 10 years... we don't know whether it would be extended or not... it would be better to take advantage of it every year instead of skipping some years; maybe switch to a more conservative scheme if you think the market is at a level too high?

just as there are some series of steps in building savings, ie. savings account, fixed deposit, ASB (if eligible), then unit trusts... if solely to have more tax relief, another way is to request boss to readjust salary and pay more EPF on the employer's portion - it is usually 12%, some (enlightened) companies contributes 15%, but it is allow up to 19%. And employer contribution into EPF is non-income and not taxed.

say, current salary rm5000/mth, and employer's epf is 12%.
readjust it to rm4746 and employer's epf to 18%.
Employer is paying out same total amount (salary + epf)... but now, there is less rm254 x 12mths = rm3048/year and had reduced taxable income by same amount.

1. Slightly lower salary = slightly less epf payment from you, net savings (and going into epf) is rm226 every month.
2. You can take out from epf for investment into unit trusts. So your money is not really stuck there. And if into PM, enjoy paying lower service charge...

This post has been edited by j.passing.by: Jan 19 2013, 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
bios
post Jan 19 2013, 12:02 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

dear all
i am new in investment and my current portfolio will be focusing on mutual funds..
without much research and reading, i have approached PM consultant and for the initial stage, after listening to their advice, i have done an initial investment in PBDYNAF (PB Dynamic Fund) and PBINDOBF (PB Indonesian Balanced Fund). I dont know whether i should continue my contribution in these two funds? Or should I go for another funds? Please also advice on my further steps?
As i am a newbie, any advice or ideas are well appreciated and thanks in advance for your time..
+Quote Post
post Jan 19 2013, 12:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 19 2013, 11:57 AM)
the tax relief is only for 10 years... we don't know whether it would be extended or not... it would be better to take advantage of it every year instead of skipping some years; maybe switch to a more conservative scheme if you think the market is at a level too high?

just as there are some series of steps in building savings, ie. savings account, fixed deposit, ASB (if eligible), then unit trusts... if solely to have more tax relief, another way is to request boss to readjust salary and pay more EPF on the employer's portion - it is usually 12%, some (enlightened) companies contributes 15%, but it is allow up to 19%. And employer contribution into EPF is non-income and not taxed.

Employer is paying out same total amount (salary + epf)... but now, there is less rm254 x 12mths = rm3048/year and had reduced taxable income by same amount.

1. Slightly lower salary = slightly less epf payment from you, net savings (and going into epf) is rm226 every month.
2. You can take out from epf for investment into unit trusts. So your money is not really stuck there. And if into PM, enjoy paying lower service charge...
Thanks, having said that my purpose of investing in PRS is not entirely to reduce tax payment (of course it's good to have) but also to diversify investment or to have another alternative income other than epf upon retirement smile.gif

+Quote Post
birdman13200
post Jan 19 2013, 12:44 PM

Casual

QUOTE(bios @ Jan 19 2013, 12:02 PM)
dear all
i am new in investment and my current portfolio will be focusing on mutual funds..
without much research and reading, i have approached PM consultant and for the initial stage, after listening to their advice, i have done an initial investment in PBDYNAF (PB Dynamic Fund) and PBINDOBF (PB Indonesian Balanced Fund). I dont know whether i should continue my contribution in these two funds? Or should I go for another funds? Please also advice on my further steps?
As i am a newbie, any advice or ideas are well appreciated and thanks in advance for your time..
I think u should get some bond fund and equity to balance up ur portfolio. Currently u r too concentrate on balance fund.
+Quote Post
j.passing.by
post Jan 19 2013, 02:15 PM

On my way

PBDYNAF (PB Dynamic Fund) and PBINDOBF (PB Indonesian Balanced Fund).

- they are PB series. Public bank staff doing field work?

- PB dynamic just launched 6 mths ago. A bit different from the usual equity fund in that it allow the fund manager to hold equities in the range from 98% down to 30%. The range for other funds is usually down to 60%, though lately there is caveat stating the fund manager can hold equities lower than what is stated in their prospectus...

- PB Indonesian is classified as a moderate fund by PM.

- PM consultants are not financial advisers. And neither am I. It is like going into a pharmacy or chinese medical shop and asking them what is the best ointment or vitamin pills when feeling not well or tired. They are not doctors - who would only prescribe you medicine after the whole barrage of blood tests, sonar scans, etc. etc.

There is no one size fits all. So can't say for sure what is the best advice or best fund to hold... when we all have different motives and discretionary incomes.

- generally, if in the twenties age group, should be more aggressive and less conservative than older age group. It is so often we hear stories that one should have bought PB or Genting shares 20-30 years ago... well, there will be same stories 20 years from now.

- should also look up Dollar Cost Averaging method of investing...

+Quote Post
birdman13200
post Jan 19 2013, 06:15 PM

Casual

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 19 2013, 11:57 AM)

From an employee view point, the basic cut may be look same in total income gain.
But for an employer, it may not hv same financial account especially that involve tax.
+Quote Post
David83
post Jan 19 2013, 08:44 PM

Witch Doctor
Group Icon
Group: Elite

Dear Unitholder, We are pleased to attach the market wrap and bond market review for the week/fortnight ended 11 January 2013 for your information. Regards Customer Service e-mail proclaimer This e-mail and any attachment is intended for the addressee(s) only and may contain information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication and its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or our hotline 036207 5000 and delete the document. This communication has not been transmitted via a private or secure link or in encrypted form and is therefore subject to the usual hazards of Internet communications, nor can it be guaranteed that this communication has not been the subject of unauthorised interception or modification.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Market_Wrap_011113__MG_.pdf ( 67.84k ) Number of downloads: 9
+Quote Post
j.passing.by
post Jan 19 2013, 11:12 PM

On my way

QUOTE(birdman13200 @ Jan 19 2013, 06:15 PM)
From an employee view point, the basic cut may be look same in total income gain.
But for an employer, it may not hv same financial account especially that involve tax.
No difference to the employer as the total labour/salary expenditure is the same, and is allow to contribute up to 19% for corporate tax computation.

For the employee, it is lower basic pay, and for those with higher incomes (managerial level) who don't have/claim overtime anyway...

The 3-7% increase to epf will make a big different over time from the extra contribution per month and compounding interest factor... not to mention the lower taxable income.

Best time to negotiate with boss is when there is a promotion... the company accountant would know what to do, but you must know how much to take out from your pay, and should take into account your lower monthly epf contribution and tax deduction with the lower basic.

+Quote Post
birdman13200
post Jan 19 2013, 11:19 PM

Casual

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 19 2013, 11:12 PM)
No difference to the employer as the total labour/salary expenditure is the same, and is allow to contribute up to 19% for corporate tax computation.

For the employee, it is lower basic pay, and for those with higher incomes (managerial level) who don't have/claim overtime anyway...

The 3-7% increase to epf will make a big different over time from the extra contribution per month and compounding interest factor... not to mention the lower taxable income.

Best time to negotiate with boss is when there is a promotion... the company accountant would know what to do, but you must know how much to take out from your pay, and should take into account your lower monthly epf contribution and tax deduction with the lower basic.
Did u do that with ur company?
+Quote Post
j.passing.by
post Jan 20 2013, 05:48 PM

On my way

QUOTE(birdman13200 @ Jan 19 2013, 11:19 PM)
Did u do that with ur company?
I rather not answer that as there is an element of suspicious of me bullshitting here, in this serious thread, behind your questions. smile.gif

Anyway, a simple yes or no would not be of help to anyone... and it is best to verify all claims in the internet with other sources before accepting anything as facts.

The max. 19% I only learned recently from some financial blogs (yes, there is a couple of good financial blogs written by M'sians out there), and it's more or less verify by those new PRS sales pitch urging employers to buy for their staff using the same 19% figure....

+Quote Post
j.passing.by
post Jan 20 2013, 05:53 PM

On my way

=================

Alright. Another long story (or tall tale... you decide.)
(It's raining outside and I have nowhere to go....)

As mentioned previously many months ago, my portfolio was in shambles... took me like 6 months and 22 switches to get it right (or what I perceived to be right) after many to and fro, jumping in and out here and there (and maybe still in nowhere land!). Burnt over rm700 in fees alone.

I think I finally know what brilliant investors meant when they say not mix emotions in trading shares. Well, to me, switching unit trust funds can also be "trading" if we do it very frequently.

So I had identified one particular fund that's look good with "future so bright, we got to wear shades" category. So I plonked in 30%.

I have immediate doubts, whether it was right thing to do, the very instant I pressed the confirm button.

Yes, it indeed has a 'bright future' and I was right! It went up over 9% in a month, within 30 days. Hurray!!!

But... yeah, there's a but... I went in a bit too early. The fund went down before climbing up, up, and up...

The mistake was I put in too much and got "emotional" when it went down.

It was hitting -3%, and with 30% of the entire portfolio riding on it, the lost went into 4 figures rather quickly. Somewhere inside me, I knew it will climb back up from the hole... it's not burial ground yet... but I can't stand the red figure, so I chop 1/3 of it and chuck it back into bonds.

The 2nd mistake... yes, there's another mistake.

The fund did start to climb up, after what looks like ages and many, many grey hairs later; it was back to almost par to what I paid. This was where the 2nd mistake happened.

I was feeling a bit tired (another strong "emotion") of waiting for it to climb further, although the charts seems to say that it will climb much further; and as I spotted another "future so bright..." fund, I switched another 1/3 out into the newly "future so bright..." fund.

On hindsight (yeah, always on hindsight)... I should have switched out from a bond fund, and hold a higher percentage in equities.

So after pulling out 2/3 of the fund, it went up like rocket over 9% in a span of 30+ days... end of story. doh.gif

Moral of story: you only know what is your true risk appetite after leaving the table.

(Name of the "future so bright..." funds: Natural Resources and Far-East Property.)

+Quote Post
birdman13200
post Jan 20 2013, 06:15 PM

Casual

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 20 2013, 05:53 PM)
=================

As mentioned previously many months ago, my portfolio was in shambles... took me like 6 months and 22 switches to get it right (or what I perceived to be right) after many to and fro, jumping in and out here and there (and maybe still in nowhere land!). Burnt over rm700 in fees alone.

I think I finally know what brilliant investors meant when they say not mix emotions in trading shares. Well, to me, switching unit trust funds can also be "trading" if we do it very frequently.

So I had identified one particular fund that's look good with "future so bright, we got to wear shades" category. So I plonked in 30%.

I have immediate doubts, whether it was right thing to do, the very instant I pressed the confirm button.

Yes, it indeed has a 'bright future' and I was right! It went up over 9% in a month, within 30 days. Hurray!!!

But... yeah, there's a but... I went in a bit too early. The fund went down before climbing up, up, and up...

It was hitting -3%, and with 30% of the entire portfolio riding on it, the lost went into 4 figures rather quickly. Somewhere inside me, I knew it will climb back up from the hole... it's not burial ground yet... but I can't stand the red figure, so I chop 1/3 of it and chuck it back into bonds.

The fund did start to climb up, after what looks like ages and many, many grey hairs later; it was back to almost par to what I paid. This was where the 2nd mistake happened.

I was feeling a bit tired (another strong "emotion") of waiting for it to climb further, although the charts seems to say that it will climb much further; and as I spotted another "future so bright..." fund, I switched another 1/3 out into the newly "future so bright..." fund.

On hindsight (yeah, always on hindsight)... I should have switched out from a bond fund, and hold a higher percentage in equities.

So after pulling out 2/3 of the fund, it went up like rocket over 9% in a span of 30+ days... end of story.  doh.gif

Moral of story: you only know what is your true risk appetite after leaving the table.

(Name of the "future so bright..." funds: Natural Resources and Far-East Property.)
Good sharing, always remember mutual fund is medium to long term investment.

+Quote Post
Kaka23
post Jan 20 2013, 06:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Jan 20 2013, 06:53 PM)
=================

So after pulling out 2/3 of the fund, it went up like rocket over 9% in a span of 30+ days... end of story.  doh.gif

Bro.. Good story you written based on real experience. I will take note and learn some of this experience. As I monitor my UT very frequently, so tendency of doing "trading", emotion based investment will surely come and go inside me..

My place also raining a little... Maybe we are staying the same area... Hehe

+Quote Post
azilazwa
post Jan 21 2013, 08:56 AM

Casual

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Great story bro. Based on real experience some more. It should be a lesson to me. Thanks.

Btw, anyone know how to check past distribution for PM fund? I want to check my fund (PIEF), but couldnt find where.. sweat.gif

+Quote Post

117 Pages « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0406sec    2.67    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 03:36 PM