125 Pages « < 45 46 47 48 49 > »  
RSS feedBump TopicClosed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Astro B.yond Episode V (Version 10.0), HD, PVR, IPTV and VOD

smileguy
post Nov 15 2012, 11:41 AM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(dannychen @ Nov 15 2012, 11:25 AM)
Astro won the BPL rights at about RM1b.

source
Blow after Blow,Hopefully hmm.gif this wl not be the last blow rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by smileguy: Nov 15 2012, 11:41 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hizad
post Nov 15 2012, 11:55 AM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(dannychen @ Nov 15 2012, 11:25 AM)
Astro won the BPL rights at about RM1b.

source
It's better ASTRO coz they have coverage, the whole of Malaysia. UNIFI and ABN will be selected few the so call "high economic impact area"

This post has been edited by hizad: Nov 15 2012, 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
darrenliew96
post Nov 15 2012, 12:56 PM

Getting Started

Is that true that Astro had a service that allow multiple Astro B.yond decoder at one house? Please replay ASAP.
+Quote Post
jamesleetech
post Nov 15 2012, 01:04 PM

Casual

QUOTE(hizad @ Nov 15 2012, 11:55 AM)
It's better ASTRO coz they have coverage, the whole of Malaysia. UNIFI and ABN will be selected few the so call "high economic impact area"
For nationwide coverage in Malaysia, its true about Astro but its not the way you think that securing "broadcast rights" mean total exclusivity for Astro. Such rights does not necessarily mean that UniFi and/or ABN cannot sub-purchase telecast rights from Astro. Well... similarly, this was what happened a few months ago when ESPN got the rights as Official Broadcaster for the London Olympics and then "re-selling" such rights to Astro.

Freshly after the Astro IPO of shares, I am not surprised that Astro have the funds to aggressively procure the EPL/Barclay rights and won it at a higher cost. My believe (I may be wrong) is that UniFi may not be "strong" enough to out-bid Astro in terms of ready-available funds.

What I am actually trying to point out here is my opinion that I would have hoped other "competitors", including UniFi, to have gotten the rights. In that way, the "competitor" can then make profits by re-selling the rights to Astro. In my opinion, its a BAD thing that As*teruk got the rights who can then "sell" rights to UniFi and/or ABN to make profits. Why BAD ? As*teruk COMMANDED the nationwide coverage monopoly for satellite transmission and is the big boss who can now determine which competitor it allows to get EPL broadcast... and the worst scenario is when As*teruk (if) decide totally not to "re-sell" to any others and therefore, squeezing other competitors (Unifi, ABN, Maxis/Time) with limited cable TV coverage who are already trying very hard to compete with As*teruk ! For my personal belief, its not about nationwide coverage... its about not allowing As*teruk to continue as big brother with our govt protection with the damn exclusive satellite broadast license and so, I don't want As*teruk to continue with its monopolistic attitude which stifles competition and its BAAAAD for consumers in the long term !

Here are my 2 cents and opinions about ABN...

Should we forget about ABN who only talk _r_____ at the present time ? I think you know what words to fill in the underline. Very clever of them to make people type in the post-code at their ABN Excess website and then ALWAYS reply "blank" coverage for the sent post-code area... then request people to fill in personal details (address, whatever) to get more data for ABN... and THAT is also called as free Data Mining for compiling demographic statistics.... ABN is very clever ! Why request people to send in their info ? Any infrastructure that is ongoing or have been completed for any location that will have ABN coverage IS ALREADY known by ABN and therefore, why can't ABN just publish those locations at their website since their future initial launch will only have limited locations ? Its just a simple matter of telling us, for example.... Condo *** (Kenny Hill), Taman *** (Puchong).... is it really that difficult with only a small handful of locations ? Is it also difficult to inform us what the actual channels are for the 50 channels included in the RM 29.99 package? I may be wrong, somehow ABN has always given me the impression that it is constantly trying to "talk the talk" and not really "walking" !

ADDITION
I have informed my sis staying in Kepong/Sungei Buloh area NOT to submit her personal data, to prevent ABN obtaining more free data and just be patient and wait. On actual launch date (maybe in a few years time, who knows?), ABN will definitely let people know the location because they want people to subscribe. The scenario as I see it is... I suspect that the infrastructure for ALL the few coverage locations either are still work-in-progress or have not even commence so that is why ABN did not let people know any coverage location. The infrastructure is crucial for any location to get ABN service... and that included the underground/external pole cabling work, nodes distribution junction, the network transmission capability and many other various work to be done. Teasing people by showing the ABN STB decoder box at their website is not enough to let me know whether my house have ABN service availability or not. Only after the ABN service is available for my house location... only then, I will look at the ABN STB decoder box !

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Nov 15 2012, 02:46 PM
+Quote Post
MilesAndMore
post Nov 15 2012, 01:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(darrenliew96 @ Nov 15 2012, 12:56 PM)
Is that true that Astro had a service that allow multiple Astro B.yond decoder at one house? Please replay ASAP.
They have it, not had it.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
darrenliew96
post Nov 15 2012, 01:55 PM

Getting Started

Sorry for the wrong grammar. I write it fast because i need a reply ASAP.
+Quote Post
jamesleetech
post Nov 15 2012, 02:15 PM

Casual

QUOTE(darrenliew96 @ Nov 15 2012, 01:55 PM)
Sorry for the wrong grammar. I write it fast because i need a reply ASAP.
You mis-understood MilesAndMore. Its not the grammar. What he meant was that the "Multi-Room" service IS still available. This is why the present tense "have" was used to correct your question.

Yes, I believe that the Multi-Room service to install additional decoder boxes in the same address IS still available. Each additional decoder box added will have additional RM 50 subscription per month. I am not sure how many more that you can add eventhough, officially, only a maximum of 2... hehe... not sure here. Anyway, just phone to Astro Customer Support to ask about "Multi-Room" to add decoder and you will 100% get your answer. Remember, the additional decoder will come with additional, maybe 1 year, contract.

ADDITION
To add decoder box, your primary subscription for the 1st Byond box must have a minimum monthly subscription of RM 80 (hehe... not sure for the exact amount, old guy like me forgot lah). Just ask Astro.

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Nov 15 2012, 02:40 PM
+Quote Post
smileguy
post Nov 15 2012, 04:07 PM

Regular

QUOTE(jamesleetech @ Nov 15 2012, 01:04 PM)
For nationwide coverage in Malaysia, its true about Astro but its not the way you think that securing "broadcast rights" mean total exclusivity for Astro. Such rights does not necessarily mean that UniFi and/or ABN cannot sub-purchase telecast rights from Astro. Well... similarly, this was what happened a few months ago when ESPN got the rights as Official Broadcaster for the London Olympics and then "re-selling" such rights to Astro.

Freshly after the Astro IPO of shares, I am not surprised that Astro have the funds to aggressively procure the EPL/Barclay rights and won it at a higher cost. My believe (I may be wrong) is that UniFi may not be "strong" enough to out-bid Astro in terms of ready-available funds.

What I am actually trying to point out here is my opinion that I would have hoped other "competitors", including UniFi, to have gotten the rights. In that way, the "competitor" can then make profits by re-selling the rights to Astro. In my opinion, its a BAD thing that As*teruk got the rights who can then "sell" rights to UniFi and/or ABN to make profits. Why BAD ? As*teruk COMMANDED the nationwide coverage monopoly for satellite transmission and is the big boss who can now determine which competitor it allows to get EPL broadcast... and the worst scenario is when As*teruk (if) decide totally not to "re-sell" to any others and therefore, squeezing other competitors (Unifi, ABN, Maxis/Time) with limited cable TV coverage who are already trying very hard to compete with As*teruk ! For my personal belief, its not about nationwide coverage... its about not allowing As*teruk to continue as big brother with our govt protection with the damn exclusive satellite broadast license and so, I don't want As*teruk to continue with its monopolistic attitude which stifles competition and its BAAAAD for consumers in the long term !

Here are my 2 cents and opinions about ABN...

Should we forget about ABN who only talk _r_____ at the present time ? I think you know what words to fill in the underline. Very clever of them to make people type in the post-code at their ABN Excess website and then ALWAYS reply "blank" coverage for the sent post-code area... then request people to fill in personal details (address, whatever) to get more data for ABN... and THAT is also called as free Data Mining for compiling demographic statistics.... ABN is very clever ! Why request people to send in their info ? Any infrastructure that is ongoing or have been completed for any location that will have ABN coverage IS ALREADY known by ABN and therefore, why can't ABN just publish those locations at their website since their future initial launch will only have limited locations ? Its just a simple matter of telling us, for example.... Condo *** (Kenny Hill), Taman *** (Puchong).... is it really that difficult with only a small handful of locations ? Is it also difficult to inform us what the actual channels are for the 50 channels included in the RM 29.99 package? I may be wrong, somehow ABN has always given me the impression that it is constantly trying to "talk the talk" and not really "walking" !

ADDITION
I have informed my sis staying in Kepong/Sungei Buloh area NOT to submit her personal data, to prevent ABN obtaining more free data and just be patient and wait. On actual launch date (maybe in a few years time, who knows?), ABN will definitely let people know the location because they want people to subscribe. The scenario as I see it is... I suspect that the infrastructure for ALL the few coverage locations either are still work-in-progress or have not even commence so that is why ABN did not let people know any coverage location. The infrastructure is crucial for any location to get ABN service... and that included the underground/external pole cabling work, nodes distribution junction, the network transmission capability and many other various work to be done. Teasing people by showing the ABN STB decoder box at their website is not enough to let me know whether my house have ABN service availability or not. Only after the ABN service is available for my house location... only then, I will look at the ABN STB decoder box !
Agreed James ,ABN can never be a threat to anyone,despite the plus point its weather proof which is enough to send asstro out of the game,!If you are good people come to you why so much confidential issues,they dont hv content to begin with,they may not be able to sustain start off costs,coverage strategy is so limited with all these i am afraid asstro wl remain strong,by then their new satelite wl hv been launched,maybe another mitv both in content and coverage.Confirmed Sri Damansara is the only area so far beta tested

This post has been edited by smileguy: Nov 15 2012, 04:15 PM
+Quote Post
sky reno
post Nov 15 2012, 04:15 PM

This is a good thread with many people sharing but I couldn't really read all so I hope you don't mind if my questions asked may have been asked before. I do agree why Astro till today has the monopoly for all the channels (ie: HBO/Star & etc). Hope they will open this control and allow us more choices of Operator and more affordable prices especially since Astro customer service sucks.

I have a Astro Beyond decoder and I have tried to subscribe for HD and upon contacting their customer service, they say it's available in my condo(after confirming with them 2X if HD is available in my condo). So I subcribed for HD channels for RM20. After about 4-8 hours later, I realised my channel has not been turned on and found out from their technical side that my condo is not HD ready yet. This really pisses me as they have started charging me for HD and other pay HD channels. I had to go through hell before they cancel it with the relevant charges.

For this topic, I would like to know if Astro HD is available in many condo's especially in whole of KL? I was told not many places has HD as well. If so, why is Astro not doing anything about it but they are advertising so much about their HD channel.
+Quote Post
jamesleetech
post Nov 15 2012, 05:27 PM

Casual

QUOTE(smileguy @ Nov 15 2012, 04:07 PM)
Agreed James ,ABN can never be a threat to anyone,despite the plus point its weather proof which is enough to send asstro out of the game,!If you are good people come to you why so much confidential issues,they dont hv content to begin with,they may not be able to sustain start off costs,coverage strategy is so limited with all these i am afraid asstro wl remain strong,by then their new satelite wl hv been launched,maybe another mitv both in content and coverage.Confirmed Sri Damansara is the only area so far beta tested
Note : Many of my comments in this post here are my personal opinions only.

ABN seem to always try to generate "news" to try to sustain or push up public interest to their cable TV services to "cover-up" the expected prolonged launch delay of ABN Cable TV ! After managing businesses long enough for so many years, I understood advertising protocols just enough to smell such publicity tactics.

The only actual real "news" that we can really 100% believe is when ABN actually announced that their Cable TV services has now been launched at this and that location BUT the truth is that... everyone is still waiting for the actual launch so any further publicity, if not handled properly, may only cause disappointment and further erode people's belief and trust on their ABN "news". Remember the perennial story of ... "the boy who always cried wolf".

Eventhough I can be very critical on ABN "tactics", contrary to what many may think of me... I actually wanted ABN to launch as soon as possible, to succeed, and I truly and sincerely wish that ABN can fully launch their Cable TV (+ Broadband) services because any additional competition to As*teruk Satellite TV and Byond IPTV, no matter how tiny or small, will ALWAYS be a good and healthy thing for us as consumers !

ABN should try to allay deteriorating confidence in their "news material" by pushing out actual real news which potential subscribers wanted to know.

News should be published at their ABN website of which location is now in beta testing (AFAIK, only through Smileguy who confirmed for Sri Damansara), which location has now confirmed finished beta test, all-set and ready to go before launch, and what are the targeted locations which have been marked for coverage. ABN should also, as soon as possible, provide real info of actual channels in their line-up of various packages... just mentioning 50 channels at RM 29.99 is sorely not adequate ! In my opinion, it should NOT be using "check service availability using post-code submitted" at their website and then using "no result" tactic to coerce people to submit their email, phone numbers (many will also put in their rough location such as "Damansara Utama" too). There is no guarantee that their "Cable Guy" will reply to you. Just read their website privacy policy page and you will know that the data collected on our personal info is clearly stated to partly include use for their market research.

All being said, eventhough may never see ABN coverage for my location in central Pahang, any competition however small, if can remain alive long enough, IS good competition to provide healthy rivalry to As*teruk nationwide stranglehold. Therefore, absolutely no problems for me for ABN to come in, I welcome it.

Thanks, Smileguy, for confirming ABN beta-test in Sri Damansara.

Peace cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Nov 15 2012, 05:32 PM
+Quote Post
dxjb
post Nov 16 2012, 12:25 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
Group: Elite

I really hope this time with Astro winning the rights to all 380 BPL matches from next season, I hope they show all the matches Live on Tv..right now, eventhough they have the rights to all the matches, some ade still delayed on Tv but all are available online..i hope they can come up with what Fox Sports in Australia and the US and also what mio have in Singapore where they have temporary channels on matchdays to show all the matches..this would be good not just for BPL fans but also for fans of other keagues and also other spotts so that the current channels are not sacifice for the BPL alone..
+Quote Post
Qash-M
post Nov 16 2012, 02:29 PM

7168 ftw

QUOTE(dxjb @ Nov 16 2012, 12:25 PM)
I really hope this time with Astro winning the rights to all 380 BPL matches from next season, I hope they show all the matches Live on Tv..right now, eventhough they have the rights to all the matches, some ade still delayed on Tv but all are available online..i hope they can come up with what Fox Sports in Australia and the US and also what  mio have in Singapore where they have temporary channels on matchdays to show all the matches..this would be good not just for BPL fans but also for fans of other keagues and also other spotts so that the current channels are not sacifice for the BPL alone..
Inb4 price hike on Sports package... brows.gif
+Quote Post
hmwong
post Nov 17 2012, 11:06 PM

Getting Started

I don't think you can use the TV remote to control Astro, unless you get some kind of "all-in-1" universal remote control, eg like this type:
http://www.chunghop.com/en/products_view.asp?id=137
That way you may keep all remote controls and just use 1 to control all nod.gif
--------------
Above old tread on Chunghop universal remote control. The link is dead. Have any one able to find the keycodes for the Chunghop RM-88 to control Beyond?

+Quote Post
Griever5177
post Nov 17 2012, 11:30 PM

Hi guys. Need some clarification. Currently I facing this "Copy Protection Failed" which appears on every HD channels.

So I called Astro and they first ask me remove the HDMI cable and use the normal cable (Yellow, Red, White). And yes the issue was settled and there's no "Copy Protection Failed" on all the HD channels.
And then they told me that the PVR cannot use HDMI or else it'll show this "Copy Protection Failed" on all the HD channels.

And so....this came to my mind that WHAT IS THE POINT OF HD WITHOUT HDMI?!

+Quote Post
Qash-M
post Nov 17 2012, 11:37 PM

7168 ftw

QUOTE(Griever5177 @ Nov 17 2012, 11:30 PM)
Hi guys. Need some clarification. Currently I facing this "Copy Protection Failed" which appears on every HD channels.

So I called Astro and they first ask me remove the HDMI cable and use the normal cable (Yellow, Red, White). And yes the issue was settled and there's no "Copy Protection Failed" on all the HD channels.
And then they told me that the PVR cannot use HDMI or else it'll show this "Copy Protection Failed" on all the HD channels.

Oh Astroll...My PVR is on HDMI, watching HD channels is fine... laugh.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post
penangmee
post Nov 18 2012, 12:42 AM

On my way

Using Superpack 4. No problems with HDMI. thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
chikana
post Nov 18 2012, 09:15 AM

Getting Started

I think the other way round - don't disconnect the HDMI, but disconnect the RCA (yellow, red, white) cable. Some TV brand have some issue if you both HDMI and RCA to the same Byond and same TV.
+Quote Post
zeone
post Nov 18 2012, 11:05 AM

A Friend...

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Nov 17 2012, 11:37 PM)
Oh Astroll...My PVR is on HDMI, watching HD channels is fine... laugh.gif  laugh.gif
Me, too!!
Watching HD Ch ever since installed PVR....no prob with HDMI! cheers.gif
+Quote Post
chuppachop
post Nov 18 2012, 03:19 PM

On my way

Fyi. Astro seems to have added n testing Vijay TV on the KU band at 11102 V 30000 according to info on the net.
+Quote Post
ben3003
post Nov 18 2012, 04:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!

last time i have this copy protection failed problem is the problem of AV receiver when i buy a new one, the installer changed it then no problem because the previous one is faulty. Heard tat it is some problem with the HDCP chip..
+Quote Post

125 Pages « < 45 46 47 48 49 > » 
Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0720sec    3.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 05:53 PM