3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro B.yond Episode V (Version 10.0), HD, PVR, IPTV and VOD

views

jamesleetech
post Aug 11 2012, 12:42 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(azrin_kiko @ Aug 11 2012, 10:40 AM)
Hello and welcome to the Astro B.yond Episode IV thread, Congratulations to all sifus who had contributed to this thread!  rclxms.gif
Congratulations ! rclxms.gif

biggrin.gif Wow... already Episode 5.

After so many years.. Astro is STILL allowed by our government to MONOPOLISE the Satellite TV market ! A win-win situation for the corporate big guns BUT a LOSE-LOSE situation for subscribers. At present, Satellite TV is the ONLY nationwide coverage from Astro with exclusive license.

Without any strong competition, there is practically no choice for consumers. Cable TV competition from UniFi or (A B N which "may" only appear after 2013 or 2014 or 2015 or laterrrrrrr) is only maybe 1 percent of the total nationwide population because of coverage to very tiny areas in big cities only.

The door should be opened for other Satellite TV competitors to enter who can provide fair competition with better much lower subscription prices and better TV content. Since 1996, its already over 15 years of Astro satellite TV monopoly so whatever the reasons, its already time to throw away the satellite TV exclusivity !

Note : Please correct the above quoted text in blue underlined text... from IV to... V.

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Aug 11 2012, 12:45 PM
jamesleetech
post Aug 11 2012, 09:29 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(shark7 @ Aug 11 2012, 08:47 PM)
Hi
I got prob

My astro is not showing full screen except for HD channel
Its pillar box size
Although i can change the size tu fit to screen
When i change channel it change back to pillar box.. need help

I have already answered this in full detail previously on 4 July 2012 at Post #2145 in "Astro B.yond Episode IV (Version 9.0)" thread.

Please click this link below and refer there for answers...
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2114557&st=2140&p=52756085&#entry52756085

... where you should read my entire reply there AND also refer to the explanation below the title "The Byond Conversion Settings" in blue text.

I hope you understand my explanations in my previous post.

ADDITION
Also refer to this link on how to change your Byond settings...
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=198&t=2114557&hl=&view=findpost&p=52038739

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Aug 11 2012, 09:39 PM
jamesleetech
post Aug 27 2012, 08:32 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(nestlebliss @ Aug 27 2012, 03:10 PM)
guys i have a problem i dont know where to ask so i will try here. Its regarding my astro. My 2nd astro is using the old SD astro. The problem is  after raya i noticed that it says service is currently not available. I checked and

- no outstanding bill
- called astro to trouble shoot
- decoder seems to work just fine( on, off power no problem not sure im no expert)
- the dish is fine just before the holidays.

When i called astro they ask to check the satelite signal and etc. The usual stuff. Now they said if i want they will send technician to come and check. Thats already 50bucks, if have problem with decoder i HAVE to subscribe to Astro Byond because no more SD decoder. The thing is I already have astro beyond and do not wish to have another Byond. Can you guys help me out? sorry if this is the wrong place to ask and TQ for your help
No guarantees... you can try this to see if it can help solve your problem....

1) Switch off power to the old Astro decoder box, not standby.

2) Remove the smartcard. Use a clean cotton cloth and slightly wet it with clean water. Then clean the smartcard SIM area as shown in circle from picture below (click spoilers)...
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

3) Also, inserting the smartcard in the wrong direction can cause problem so make sure its correctly inserted. IF the SIM area is bottom when you remove it, then re-insert back the smartcard in the same direction with SIM area at bottom.

I have 3 decoders, 2 old Astro box and 1 Byond box. My Dad sometimes have the same "service is currently not available" problem so I removed the smartcard, cleaned it with special "Contact 90" chemical (Made In Germany) which dissolves oil and dirt and also dries quickly without corroding the surface. After cleaning it, no more problem. I did it twice in about 2 years ! Warning... never clean with alcohol, kerosene or any normal cleaning chemical that can dissolve or "attack" the plastic smartcard !!!

If you have already tried cleaning the smartcard before and found that it did NOT help, then "maybe" your old Astro box got internal problem.

I am not sure if your Astro box is spoilt or not BUT if you are willing to risk wasting your RM 100, then you can try buying the old Astro box from others... search for Astro dealers or TV/HiFi shops in your area because I believe there are shops that do sell your old Astro box (new unit). You can also find people selling it in Lowyat.net too... example... "http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2479296&hl=astro+decoder+for+sale... I don't know this person so I am not responsible for any risks.

When you decide to buy, try to find a newer model for the old Astro box as shown in sample picture below (click spoilers)...

Also, please don't blame me if you wasted your money after buying the old Astro box from others and then found that the same problem still exist !! Remember, its your decision because I am just giving my suggestion only.

Note: I believe that you already know that the smartcards can be used on any old Astro box... BUT for the new Byond box smartcard, it is locked and cannot be used on other Byond box or old Astro box (no sharing).

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Aug 27 2012, 08:37 PM
jamesleetech
post Sep 3 2012, 10:14 PM

On my way
684 posts

Actually the KBS World channel 391 is broadcast in SD by As*teruk. What As*teruk have done is downscaled its HD feed from KBS World HD to SD so Ch 391 is still in SD in 4:3 ratio 576i resolution. As*teruk have never announced that this channel be "upgraded" !

No change as far as As*teruk is concerned... the only change is that the KBS World feed is in HD.

As for History channel, what As*teruk have done is to reduce their cost by broadcasting exactly the same content for both SD ch 555 and HD ch 575 channels... and more profits for As*teruk... which is sh*t.... no new HD channels and stupid people like me still pay RM 20 per month for HD Service... double sh*t.

From what I heard, UniFi is coming to my area in central Pahang by end of this month or October... so I really hope its true... and by then, I will check to see whether the available UniFi cable TV channels satisfy me or not and, definitely, will at least subscribe to the high speed broadband. Seriously... my tolerance of continuing subscribing to As*teruk is already reaching the final limit that I can bear... if not because of the HD channels and my parents and no other available choice in my location, I would have cancelled my As*teruk account a long time ago. My reasons are only excuses so I can only blame myself for my stupidity for continuing to tolerate the arrogant monopolistic attitude of As*teruk as a source of entertainment for me and my dad who both have physical disabilities.

As for ABN cable TV... so much talk by them about this and that for so many months, about better channel choices at better monthly rates... too bad its just useless talk only because they can't even announce what are the cable TV packages and monthly subscriptions, not even announcing available in which location such as which condos, apartments, whatever... so I really don't expect ABN to be launched soon. Tick, tock, tick, tock... "good" news since May 2012 and four months later, already September now and still no "real" news for people who only want to know what packages, where, when and how much !!! Can you imagine that vacancies are still available for critical and crucial personnel such as Vice President MIS and Asst Vice President (Accounts). I truly hope that ABN will launch soon in 2012 eventhough it will not be available in my location in Pahang because any little bit of competition is good to give a small mosquito bite to As*teruk. Unfortunately, from the way the current situation is for ABN and from my "inside rumours" that I have already heard... I may be wrong... but I do suspect that people will have to wait for at least 1 to 2 years for ABN to be launched only in limited locations. Any more news without informing people about the launching date, location, channel packages available and monthly price will only increase disappointment !

If I am not mistaken, why was the opening ceremony of London Paralympics 2012 NOT broadcast at all ? Why As*teruk did not continue broadcast Paralympics events like what was done for the London Olympics ? Why the FTA channels such as RTM, TV3, NTV7 did not care to broadcast any events of Paralympics ? Not enough sponsors and advertisers ? No one interested to watch Paralympics ? What about all the disabled community in Malaysia ? What about the Team Malaysia Paralympians who deserve to be recognised for their efforts by allowing us to watch the events that these deserving people participated ? Being disabled myself, I truly wish that Paralympics be broadcast by As*teruk, RTM, or others... where over 5000 Paralympians participated in London.

People with disabilities are not handicapped so they deserve the same glory as any able bodied person so As*teruk should at least show a little bit of respect and appreciation by showing live telecasts (in Arena Channel 801) of the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the London Paralympics 2012 !!!

cool.gif
jamesleetech
post Sep 4 2012, 09:45 PM

On my way
684 posts

Already announced in Astro website... Disney XD (SD) Channel 617 and Disney XD HD Channel 637 for Family Pack which means ALL Astro subscribers can watch Disney XD, starting from 15 September 2012.

* Ch 637 HD only for Superpack and HD Service subscribers.

This means 1 additional HD Channel is already confirmed 100% coming in September 2012.

QUOTE(Uncle 6 @ Sep 4 2012, 06:08 PM)
not extra RM20?
Its actually RM 20 per month for HD Service. For Superpacks subscribers, already included and bundled with HD Service. I did not subscribe to any Superpack. I know because I am already paying additional RM 20 per mth for the HD Service.

Link about the amount for HD Service... http://www.astro.com.my/byond/articles/art_6121.html... and refer to "Step 3" there.

It was just a minor typo mistake by RAMchyLD who quoted the wrong amount because he had already cancelled his Astro account a long time ago because of his dissatisfaction with As*teruk. I can understand RAMchyLD hatred for As*teruk because of an incident which happened to him (you can refer to his previous post some time ago). Yes... I will also react the same way IF this also happened to me.

QUOTE(limchee @ Sep 4 2012, 07:41 PM)
seems like KBSW has removed the HD logo… haihhhhhhhhhh… astro… when are u bringing us KBS HD

the following pictures are from KBSW HD stream from KBS Worldi iPad app
Yesterday I did phone to As*teruk to complain about the HD Logo for the KBS World channel 391 which I told the As*teruk support person that the HD logo is misleading and causing a lot of confusion. I even enquired why As*teruk did NOT launch the actual KBS World HD channel. The support person told me that the channel is still in SD and at the present time said that he is not aware of any plans to launch this channel in HD. He also said that he will report this matter to the proper department about my complaint and apologised to me for the HD Logo error.

Well... I suspect that so many people have phone to As*teruk to complain about the HD logo for the KBS World ch391 and request for actual HD channel.. until... hehe... that As*teruk quickly changed the logo back to non HD !! Damn... was hoping for actual HD channel for KBS World.

Yes... the feed to As*teruk is still in HD but it has been downscaled to SD 4:3. Nothing new here. Example... this has already happened for BBC Ch512 where the feed is actually HD 16:9... and cut slightly on the left and right screen area by As*teruk which is why we can see a small top/bottom black bar and sometimes some text become missing on the left because of the some left area being cut off.

Mmm... I don't know but I suspect that As*teruk took the 16:9 widescreen KBS World HD feed and maybe cut of some left/right area to change it to 4:3, then downsampled it to SD.

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 4 2012, 09:50 PM
jamesleetech
post Sep 4 2012, 10:55 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Sep 4 2012, 09:55 PM)
Is there any backward tv schedule for astro ? I forgotten a movie/series at kbs last week sunday ?

You can check any backward or future schedule by clicking from this link below...
http://kbsworld.kbs.co.kr/schedule/weekly_schedule.html?lang=e&time_add=-1&sdate=2012-09-04

From there, you need to change the Time Zone to UTC+8 to get the correct actual Malaysian time.

Then click on "Sun" for 02-09-2012 which is for "last week". To change to other dates, click on date input on the right of the Time Zone area. A month calender will pop out for you to select or change to other dates for other months. You can also choose from any date to any date schedule you like and then download it as Microsoft Excel or normal text document.

I have checked and found that the KBS World schedule there is the same for Astro KBS World.

Example... the schedule there showed the program "Chilwu, the Mighty" at 23:20 (04-09-12)... and checked from the Astro box is at 23:22 (04-09-12) which is 2 minute delay for Astro. Most programs are a few minutes delay for As*teruk... I suspect due to "censorship" monitoring !!

cool.gif
jamesleetech
post Sep 4 2012, 11:21 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Sep 4 2012, 11:08 PM)
Thanks a lot  notworthy.gif , Chilwu, the Mighty if I am not mistaken
I iirc astro last time got show pass or previous days/weeks schedule , any reason why astro doesn't have it now ?
You are welcome. Glad that you "found" the show that you want and you have the schedule for it now, hehe. smile.gif

Why As*teruk now only have current and later date schedule... only As*teruk knows and I don't think they will tell you !!! As*teruk should have the same style of schedule as shown at KBS World website which I think is useful and convenient. Too bad that As*teruk did not do it in the similar way ! sad.gif

cool.gif
jamesleetech
post Sep 5 2012, 12:33 AM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Fubar20 @ Sep 4 2012, 11:42 PM)
Replaced by free monthly magazine.
The monthly AstroView Magazine still have the TV channel monthly schedule.

It is not free if we want a printed copy to be sent by post to us, at RM 4.80 per issue. Refer here.. "http://www.astro.com.my/astroview/indices/index_351.html" at the details below the title "SUBSCRIBING TO ASTROVIEW".

It is only free when we want to read (or download) it online at... "http://www.astro.com.my/astroview/indices/index_349.html"... and can download the entire magazine there. For online reading there, go to Page 63 where there is a TV schedule list for 01-08-2012 but its not easy to read the tiny and slightly blur schedule details.

Note : Unfortunately, I tried many times downloading the entire magazine and always got a bad ZIP ... cannot extract the PDF file inside the zipfile. Also... the magazine is still for August 2012 so maybe we can get the September issue a few days later.

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 5 2012, 12:39 AM
jamesleetech
post Sep 5 2012, 01:30 AM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Sep 5 2012, 01:02 AM)
Maybe they change already , but that magazine need $.

I never subscribe , never even know there's online view of channels. hmm.gif
Same case , I tried to download just now , not working.
Hopefully can get it few days later.
Anyway , thanks a lot for your effort help me out with the tvguide  notworthy.gif
No problemo, glad to help.

I will never pay for the printed copy when subscribers were given free printed hard copies in the early years of As*teruk since 1996 ! Why should we pay now for the printed copy when they also got revenue from advertisers to the magazine.
jamesleetech
post Sep 5 2012, 02:12 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Zulguamusang @ Sep 5 2012, 08:19 AM)
why i dont have this channel yet? 617 and 637...currently on pvr version 7.0

rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif
Mmm.... Saya tidak berapa faham... sila baca komen saya sekali lagi dan sekali lagi dan sekali lagi.

Tidak berkaitan dengan perisian PVR anda (Version 7.0).

Anda juga menunjukkan petikan komen saya yang juga jelas menyatakan tarikh mula siaran untuk kedua-dua saluran As*teruk ...
QUOTE(jamesleetech @ Sep 4 2012, 10:45 PM)
Already announced in Astro website... Disney XD (SD) Channel 617 and Disney XD HD Channel 637 for Family Pack which means ALL Astro subscribers can watch Disney XD, starting from 15 September 2012.

Hari ini ialah 05 September 2012... oleh itu, sila bersabarlah dan tunggu sepuluh hari lagi, hehe. Kedua-dua saluran baru As*teruk belum lagi mula siaran dan akan bermula hanya pada 15hb September 2012.

Hehe... tak apalah, harap maaf sekira anda rasa komen saya disini mungkin sedikit terlampau. blush.gif

smile.gif "Senyuman selalu mencerahkan kehidupan" smile.gif
jamesleetech
post Sep 5 2012, 04:43 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Sep 5 2012, 01:12 PM)
The astroview monthly magazine is still mailed to Astro subscribers FOC. But of course, this only applies to old subscribers who sent to reply to Astro before they changed it to a paid subscription. If you have been an Astro subscriber since... late 2005 or 2006 BUT did not complete the form they sent to you by year end, you will not get astroview magazine. Basically it was like an early bird special. If you want to continue to get the magazine for free every month, then you have to complete the form and mail it back to Astro. After the offer period, you still can get the astroview magazine but you'll have to pay for it.
There is a reason why I earlier mentioned that the AstroView Magazine is NOT free for the printed version (send by post).

I have been a subscriber since December 1996 and have been receiving the magazine by post for many many years. Yes, I do remember receiving a form to be filled which came together with the magazine sometime during 2005 or 2006 (I cannot remember the exact date now). I did not send back the form and they later stopped sending me the magazine. As you correctly stated, this was the situation... those who started Astro subscription before the date the form was sent must fill up he form and send it back so that they will continue to receive the magazine for free.

In order to be absolutely sure, I phoned to Astro Customer Support to seek further clarification and confirmation. When I asked about this, the support lady told me to hold the phone line and wait for her to check with her supervisor. I waited for about 3 to 5 minutes. Then I was told that the magazine will continue to be sent for free ONLY for those long-time subscribers who received the form and sent it back to confirm that they want to continue receiving the magazine... and this was many years ago.

I also clearly asked the Astro support lady... "What about people who started new Astro subscription after that period (2005, 2006 or 2007) ? Will these subscribers after that period receive the printed copy of the magazine for FREE by submitting the online magazine registration form ?" The answer is NO... the magazine will be charged at RM 4.80 per issue, NOT FREE !!

The Astro support lady told me that she checked my old records and did not receive the form so I will be charged for the magazine now if I want to subscribe to the magazine. I confirmed that I did not return the form because, if I am not mistaken, I read a statement in the form which mentioned that "I agree to continue receiving the magazine without any charge for 1 year and after that a monthly subscription per issue will be charged". The support lady again asked me to wait while she again check with her supervisor about the form... well... she told me that the form only mentioned "will continue to receive the magazine at no cost until further notice". So, I have to accept what she told me because it was a long time ago and I am already not sure about this... if I had NOT misunderstood this, I would have returned the form and continue to receive the magazine for free till today !! Anyway, no need to "cry over spilled milk" and not really important for me.

From what I remembered previously and from my phone conversation with the Astro support lady, this only reaffirmed my previous comment that mentioned the magazine is NOT free.

Why did I say that the printed magazine (send by post) is NOT free ? Because for people who started Astro TV/Radio subscription sometime in 2007 or later, it is not free.

There will be confusion when people replied that its free that may cause others to carelessly submit the online form to subscribe to the printed magazine and then found out later that they will be charged per month. I do admit that I have also caused confusion when I stated that its not free without further clarifying this.

Have a look at this link below...
https://www.astro.com.my/tools/form.php?id=350&id_topic=38
... which clearly mentioned at the "Terms & Conditions" this sentence... "Each copy at RM 4.80 per month will be billed with your Astro subscription."

If filling up a printed paper form and sending it back means free printed magazine (by post)... please be absolutely SURE that this apply for everyone. Whether I am proven right or wrong is NOT important here, what is important is that anyone who wants to get this printed magazine by post must first check properly if not sure by phoning to Astro Customer Support before blindly submitting the magazine subscription form.

Maybe for some people, the printed magazine is important because of the daily TV schedule or for whatever reasons because its a very convenient way to browse and read so I respect the wishes of these people, and I will not disagree. For me, its not important so no harm done. Also, as I mentioned earlier, we can view or download the magazine via online at... "http://www.astro.com.my/astroview/indices/index_349.html"

"A smile a day keeps everyone happy all day" smile.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 5 2012, 05:48 PM
jamesleetech
post Sep 15 2012, 12:39 AM

On my way
684 posts

Disney XD launches at 10 am 15-09-2012.

Screenshots below was taken yesterday 13-09-12 from my 3D LED TV using my android phone so there will be slight digital noise due to lower light level of TV screen.

Attached Image

Mmm... why the toll free number ? DisneyXD will be under Family Package, all As*teruk subscribers can watch the ch 617 SD channel (and ch 637 for HD Service & Superpack subscribers) then no need to subscribe to any "additional packages"... so why need the the toll free number ? I could not find out what is the purpose of this number, hehe, so is it for joining to DisneyXD Online Membership or for entering to DisneyXD contests ?

Attached Image Attached Image

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Sep 14 2012, 03:35 PM)
[attachmentid=3049208]

*sigh* Astro seems doesn't care... (inb4 the pixelation on other HD channels become more visible) sweat.gif  doh.gif  shakehead.gif
Yes, you can be correct that some pixelation appears. This is what many refers to as "digital noise" which can be caused by various factors such as poorer reception signal, HDMI cable connection with pins contact that are not so good, too long HDMI cable used, satellite transmission quality and video codec and compression used, the bigger the HD TV screen the more apparent such digital noise is noticeable, whether any Digital or MPEG noise reduction was applied during satellite transmission or whether the HD TV built-in noise reduction is used or not.

I have also noticed such "noise" appearing from TM IPTV (Not Byond IPTV) at my brother-in-law house in Sungei Buloh.

Even when I watched movies such as "Captain America" from actual blu-ray disc at 1080p, such digital noise is still noticeable because this is caused by the inherent film noise (especially during dark or night scenes). During production of the blu-ray disc, some movie companies used too much digital noise reduction which some people hated because this caused a smooth unnatural effect with slight edge halos and slight loss of definition, so it seems that these people "liked" the "film noise" which appear natural, like as though seen in the cinema, hehe.

Well... I agree that we can notice the slight noise with our own eyes... so when any sample screenshot photos are shown here... the JPG (which have pixel compression) photos taken with a mobile phone and low TV screen lighting can also increase the "noise" level. What we can see from such posted sample screenshots can be used as a rough reference only.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that As*teruk satellite transmission quality can contribute to the digital noise... I don't like As*teruk too... but we have to be aware that there are also many other reasons/factors which can contribute and add to the noticeable noise too.

Peace. smile.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 15 2012, 12:44 AM
jamesleetech
post Sep 15 2012, 01:00 AM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Sep 15 2012, 12:49 AM)
Yeah. Oh, and ASN HD just added on HyppTv. Preview for 1 month. smile.gif
Great for HyppTV subscribers ! Mmm... is it typo mistake... you mean AXN HD ?

I am now eagerly waiting for TM IPTV (HyppTV) to be launched in my central Pahang location in about 1 or 2 months so I am keeping my fingers crossed that its true. I will be really dissapointed if its only rumours, hehe.
jamesleetech
post Sep 15 2012, 10:22 PM

On my way
684 posts

Attached Image

DisneyXD HD Channel 637. The above screenshot shows the malay movie "Cicak-Man" with English and Malay audio (09:05 pm 15-09-12).

LOL !!! First... they took a 16:9 widescreen movie, letterboxed it and broadcast in SD on Ch 617 . Second... they took this directly from Ch 617, upscaled it to HD and then broadcast it on Ch 637... and they even put a HD text on top left... what a joke... what are they trying to do ???? What the F.... ! My TV screen seem to have been "reduced" in size with black borders at all the sides. AND the video quality for this movie on this HD channel after upscaling from SD source to HD.... it sucks !

ADDITION : They should have AT LEAST taken the upscaled SD version (in letterbox) from Ch 617 (SD) and zoomed it in the proper ratio to fit the left/right screen at 16:9 on Ch 637 (HD) so that there are no left/right black borders with only top/bottom borders !!

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 15 2012, 10:41 PM
jamesleetech
post Sep 15 2012, 11:21 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(azrin_kiko @ Sep 15 2012, 10:31 PM)
You're are wrong actually... Disney obtained Cicak Man's videotape from KRU, the 16:9 movie is already letterboxed to 4:3 in the tape. Disney XD HD played the tape and pillarboxes are added. THat is why there are windowboxes in the HD channel..
FYI, Disney XD ch 617 is taken from the HD feed but cropped to fit 4:3 frame.... but from my observation, when in commercials. they scaled the hd feed to 4:3 cropped. but after commercials, they switched back to letterboxed 4:3.. but in 4:3 show, the scaler will crop the HD feed to 4:3.. it is an automated process...

KRU as yet to copy Cicak Man from film sources to HD... so the movie delivered to Disney is already letterboxed..
If disney obtained Cicak Man in HD, they will adjust the video to make the text 4:3 compatible.

The 'HD' logo is to inform viewers that they still tune in to HD version of Disney XD.. hope all of u will understand
Yes, I already knew that there are already many program materials which are from SD source and broadcast as HD feed. Case in point is the KIX HD ch 729 which do show many movies from SD source eventhough the KIX HD channel is actually from HD feed.... but at least KIX HD zoomed many of such "SD letterboxed (with top/bottom borders) shows/movies" to the proper 16:9 size so that there are only top/bottom borders, NO black left/right borders !

I agree that you have pointed correctly that the "Cicak-Man" have not yet been transferred from film to HD format and also that the Ch 637 is from HD feed. However... maybe I am the only one who is so picky or fussy but I believe (whether automated process or not) that it really looks very ugly to me to see black borders on all sides... and in my personal opinion... should not have used automated process and increased (zoom) the size at the correct ratio so that only top/bottom borders are seen, no left/right borders on DisneyXD HD ch 637.

If the "HD" text logo at the top left is intended to let viewers know that the Channel 637 is in HD, then I would have preferred that they put this "HD text" next to the "DisneyXD" logo like what usually is done for other HD channels such as HBO HD, Fox Movies Premium HD. When Astro changed the History HD channel feed, the "HD" is now missing from the "History" logo. Whatever... not important for me whether the HD channels show the "HD text" because, obviously I already knew that I have switched to an HD channel.

In my personal opinion, putting the "HD text" in a different area of the screen somehow (I think) lead viewers to believe that the program/show is from HD (720p/1080i) source. If according to your opinion that the "HD text" at top left is to inform viewers that DisneyXD Ch 637 is HD channel... then please explain why the "HD text" is missing when DisneyXD HD Ch 637 is showing "Ultimate Spider-Man" (11:05 pm 15-09-12). Sometimes showing the "HD text" logo and sometimes not is pretty confusing, don't you agree ?

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 15 2012, 11:47 PM
jamesleetech
post Sep 16 2012, 12:37 AM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(azrin_kiko @ Sep 15 2012, 11:54 PM)
Actually KIX HD is my not so a favourite channel because of all stretching of 4:3 programmes but what i dislike the most is they even don't even care to crop some programmes that are made in 16:9 but letterboxed to 4:3, thus, leaving the letterbox and stretch the programme, what the heck are they thinking?

I understand as many malaysians dont care about whether their favourite channel is in HD or not, but some people will complain about "why the picture in this HD channel is so blur?" so maybe Disney XD done that to tell viewers that nothing wrong with their TV, it is just old programmes that are not available in HD...

About the HD branding, please refer to previous posts, why KBS world removed the HD logo? because SD viewers complaining that the picture are not in HD, so why bother to put the HD logo if it is not in HD? They feel "cheated". KBS World is also one of the SD channels that sources at HD feed, but downscaled to SD.... like history and Disney XD...

I'm still convince that Disney XD put HD logo to tell viewers that they're watching Disney XD in HD and maybe to 'tell' the scaler to crop the 16:9 feed to 4:3. If Disney XD put HD logo beside their logo, sure SD people complain "why this channel has HD but it is not! Liars!"

Just my 2cents... smile.gif happy watching...

P/S Believe it or not, many people don't even know what HD means. Think, People with CRT TV will not notice the difference between SD and HD channels. when they saw a channel with HD logo in it and compares it with SD channel they will think. "Why this channel has HD text when the gambar quality is same with other channel?" that's the case with KBS... They think this is a false advertisement
I agree that you have a point about some people not knowing what HD is all about... although I personally don't know whether "many people" didn't know about HD... yea... only your 2 cents.

Based on what you have explained on the situation for KBS World, wouldn't it more logical in some way to totally remove the "HD text" logo for DisneyXD HD ch 637... not like what is happening now where this "HD text" logo is sometime shown and sometimes not shown ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About the "zooming" for "letterboxed videos"... obviously there will be 2 camps of people who likes or dislike the scenario as shown below to illustrate my point...

CAMP 1

Attached Image

These group says... yea... ok lah... at least we know the video is from SD source so at least sharper without any zooming. We don't mind the four black borders on all four sides.

CAMP 2

Attached Image

* Note : I edited the screenshot to roughly fit the left/right (yea... not in the correct ratio, a bit stretched) so that I can explain better for Camp 2 people, hehe.

These group says... yea... much better without any left/right black borders... we don't mind the increased blur and the "false HD video" shown... at least the screen don't look sooo tiny !

Well... we are all well aware that they just cannot satisfy everyone... "pusing kiri kena marah, pusing kanan pun kena juga !"

Obviously its not possible for me to make a survey... but I wonder how many people belong to Camp 1 and how many belong to Camp 2 ? Mmm... more percentage of people in Camp 1 ... Or is it Camp 2 ? I will never know, hehe.

Great to have the pleasure to express my opinions and comments together with you. smile.gif

ADDITION

QUOTE(azrin_kiko @ Sep 15 2012, 11:54 PM)
BREAKING NEWS.. Confimed that HD logo of Disney XD are not meant for viewers but to the automatic scaler to crop the feed to fit 4:3.. just watch 'Kickin' it'

Mmm... just by watching "Kicking' it" and you can confirm that the HD logo of Disney XD are only meant for the automatic scaler to crop the feed to fit 4:3. Mmm... I really don't know if its true or not... so probably you are right.

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 16 2012, 01:05 AM
jamesleetech
post Sep 16 2012, 02:31 AM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Sep 16 2012, 01:34 AM)

There goes the annoying 6code in Asstro. Previously all sport channels, asstro first & asstro best in Astro got this "treatment" too... Time would tell when will HBO HD & Sundance HD would be "infected"... rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif
Mmm... not sure... is the 6code appear sometimes only ? Maybe will see it later... hehe.

Attached Image

Checked at 02:20 am 16-09-12, did not see the 6code for HBO, HBO HD, FMP, FMP HD and Cinemax. I did not subscribe to Astro First and Astro Best.

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 16 2012, 02:38 AM
jamesleetech
post Sep 19 2012, 07:31 AM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(Atrius @ Sep 19 2012, 04:54 AM)
Hi all, was watching champions league just now and for this problem "please insert your smart card or call customer service" this warning comes and then goes the moment I press a button on remote.

Is this a sign my decoder is dying?
Yes, I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with your Byond decoder. Also for my Byond, exactly like what is happening to you and Smileguy, started very early this morning, I think at about 3 am 19-09-12. sad.gif

I am guessing so I suspect As*teruk is making some technical changes to the smartcard encrypted software or doing some tests on their satellite transmission which caused the "wrong smartcard" message and blank screen which lasts about 1 second. No need to touch any buttons on the remote... the message will disappear and the channel will then return to normal. Happened many times in 1 hour from 5 am to 6 am, each time lasting only a short while. shocking.gif

Phoned to a few of my friends (late sleepers) and they also noticed the same thing happen. Hmm... I am sure As*teruk Customer Support today will be hit by many phone calls from many subscribers who thought their Byond boxes have problem, so no need for me to phone As*teruk because I think I will get a "busy" line, hehe. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 19 2012, 07:46 AM
jamesleetech
post Sep 22 2012, 08:57 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(soul_star @ Sep 22 2012, 07:49 PM)
Hi all.. got a question, how to remove " Copy protection fail " black label ? Im currently subscribing Astro Byond HD ...
Thanks notworthy.gif
This message is caused by any equipment which are not HDCP ready or compliant. HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection which prevents non-HDCP compliant HDMI equipment from showing any video. The equipment with HDMI connection include the HDTV, Satellite Receiver/Decoder box (Byond), HDMI Splitters, HDMI Switchers, HDMI Signal Booster, Video Capture Card with HDMI input, and so forth.

The Astro satellite transmission for the HD channels IS protected with HDCP. Other satellite broadcasters, including BSkyB, DTV, BBC also have HDCP for their HD channels. Only the HDMI connections have HDCP for HD channels, ... NOT present for RCA (yellow cable) and component video (red, green, blue) connections for SD resolutions.

Obviously your HDTV and the Byond box IS already HDCP compliant so I believe your problem could be caused by adding "non-HDCP equipment" between your HDTV and Byond Box connections. Even the branded AV Receiver Amps (such as from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz) with HDMI input/output are also HDCP compliant.

You did not mention any details about your HDMI or whatever connections for your Byond box BUT I do believe that you have added "HDMI switch or HDMI splitter" or some similar non-HDCP equipment to your Byond Box connections !! That being the case... the only solution is to replace the "equipment" with one that is HDCP compliant... and IF cannot find one which is HDCP compliant, then too bad.

IF you intend to use HDMI connection from Byond to a computer with HD Video Capture card to record the Astro TV channels, then you need to find an HD Video Capture card which is HDCP compliant. For this purpose, I am not able to find one HDMI video capture card which is HDCP compliant. There have been some discussions about this in the older "Astro B.yond Episode IV (Version 9.0) thread which also mentioned about "HD Fury" card and also about a method which used a Video Capture box which converts the HDMI signal to output as Component Video and PCM Stereo Audio. Too complicated for me to explain here so if this is your situation, then you should take some time to refer back to the older Astro Episode IV thread and search there.

For reference only so here are some general info on HDCP...
http://www.digitalconnection.com/faq/HDTV_12.asp
http://tv.about.com/od/hdtv/p/whatisHDCP.htm

You can also read from this link...
http://stinkyfruit.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/hdmi-and-dolby-5-1/
...and read the paragraph starting from "A last word from Sheikh. The main importance in acquiring equipment would be to determine whether the system is HDMI 1.3 and HDCP compliant"

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 22 2012, 09:10 PM
jamesleetech
post Sep 27 2012, 12:30 AM

On my way
684 posts

There is a difference between "cancelling which means completely terminating" Astro subscription account AND "suspending which means temporarily deactivating all subscribed TV channel services".

Regardless of whoever could have misunderstood about the return of the smartcard, I believe that you already understood that the said lady at the Astro Service Centre was actually refering to any subscriber who voluntarily wish to "suspend" his/her subscription account... and this means the subscription account status is changed to "not active" with all the subscribed packages locked/deactivated and no payable monthly subscriptions... The subscription account was NEVER terminated so therefore the suspended account can be re-activated at any time later and which is why it is not required to return the smartcard !

This was actually what happened to one of my friends about 5 years ago who called to Astro to suspend his account until further notice by explaining that both his wife and himself would be staying in US at their daughter's house there for maybe 6 months to 1 year or more. So nothing, including smartcard, was returned. When my friend returned after 2 years, he reactivated his Astro account.

The question in my mind is... just how long will As*teruk allow the account to be suspended ? Yes, ok for maybe 1 or 2 years but I suspect that after a long period of maybe 7+ years with no contact or news from the subscriber, As*teruk will fully terminate the "suspended" account... so, when this happens, As*teruk will "attack" you with a penalty charge for non-return of the smartcard.

Here's a link from As*teruk website which clearly stated (in black and white) the return of smartcard...
http://support.astro.com.my/HelpCenter/Article.aspx?CategoryID=af2cc6af-3b23-41ea-b0e3-cdf39269771d&ArticleID=e5e5bc57-dc3e-4483-9b0f-7c79fd292b7e&SectionID=&SubCatID=2da47421-a43c-43fd-b713-2e943f1be177

... and a screenshot from the page...
Attached Image

Ok... you mentioned earlier that the Astro Service Centre lady said "She was just telling me that I can keep everything if I want to cancel my Astro subscription" which means that she was refering to "cancel" (termination), not "suspension" of account and therefore, after "cancellation/termination" you can keep everything, including the smartcard ! Whether anyone here, including you, could have possibly 1 percent misunderstood that lady, then could anyone here explain to me why the info shown at the As*teruk website still clearly stated that the smartcard must be returned when "the services are discontinued or terminated at anytime" ? IF, I repeat, IF that lady meant "cancellation and not required to return smartcard" then who should we believe ? Believe what we read from the As*teruk website or believe that As*teruk lady ?

When any new subscriber signed in to new subscription account at the Astro centre or documents signed after the installer completed installation, a binding legal contract exists which subscribers legally agree to all the contractual terms and conditions. Just how many of us really read the documents in full or even know about all the terms ? One thing I do know is that those terms & conditions are subject to change at anytime by @#$% As*teruk. IF "its true" that the smartcard is not required to be returned now, can anyone guarantee that As*teruk will not ask for return or penalty after a few years in the future ?

Do remember the smartcard (I am 100% sure) is absolutely the property of As*teruk, so if you are allowed to keep it, it does NOT mean that As*teruk give you the right to keep it and so they will always have the legal right to ask for return or we face legal action. The smartcard ownership is clearly stated in the terms & conditions and also printed on the smartcard itself...
Attached Image

Could all of us have misunderstood that Astro lady ? I don't think so ! Could that Astro lady have given the wrong advice on allowing us to keep the smartcard after cancellation/termination of account ? Yes, I believe it is so !

After my pretty elaborate explanation here, whoever have misunderstood or whoever is right or wrong, the important thing here is your personal decision and that is... ask yourself, are you willing to take the risk that maybe a few years later, As*teruk's lawyers may come knocking at your door with a legal letter demanding payment of penalty for non-returned smartcard.

Whatever, in my personal opinion, I 100% agree with RAMChYLD who is absolutely right that subscribers must return the smartcard upon account termination and he has learned a bitter lesson from As*teruk who unceremoniously slapped him with a very distasteful legal letter. RAMChYLD did return the smartcard BUT was wrongly accused by As*teruk.

Maybe RAMChYLD and you can choose to believe or not to believe that As*teruk are pretty filthy $$$ hungry demons who not only monopolises the satelliite TV market in Malaysia, they may stoop so low as to try to "extract" $$ from non-returned smartcards. BUT... As*teruk was NOT the only one who were blatantly wrong to send a legal letter and arrogantly demanded penalty payment from RAMChYLD ! I was also hit a legal letter from Celcom's lawyers demanding payment of RM 50 for my early termination (about 6 years ago) and the legal demand letter was only sent 2 years after termination !! Luckily I kept all the previous documents and it took me so much time and trouble to prove that my 1 year Celcom mobile contract had already expired when I terminated my account so this case was settled, legal action cancelled and RM 50 early termination charge not required. Damn... not even a single apology from Celcom !!

Here's another actual true case of As*teruk being not efficient and careless...

My friend, Lim, previously subscribed for 2 decoder boxes, 1st one is Byond box (Superpack 3) with the 2nd old Astro box (Custom Packs) at 50% monthly subscription discount. The 1 year contract period for the 2nd box at 50% rate was already over so in August 2012, he decided to terminate this 2nd box and then subscribe to Multiroom 2nd Byond box at flat RM 50 which can watch all the channels the same as for 1st box (Superpack 3). Actually I advised him to do it because its much cheaper and both boxes can now watch in HD on his 2 HDTVs. Well... it seemed that all was ok, isn't it ? When my friend phoned to As*teruk to make the change, I was with him and also helped him by explaining clearly to that As*teruk lady to make sure that there would be no careless mistake. A week later, the installer came and replaced the old Astro box with a new Byond box (non PVR) with the subscribed channels activated. Later, when my friend received his statement dated 01-09-2012... his statement shows Superpack 3 (RM 155) X 50% = Rm 77.50 for his 2nd Byond box !! Previously for his 2nd (old Astro box) subscription was RM 122.95 X 50% = RM 61.50... my friend was shocked when he noticed that he have to pay more, not pay less at flat RM 50 ! Well... so my friend phoned to complain... they confirmed and apologised for the mistake, and assured him that the back-dated adjustment to August 2012 will be reflected in the October 2012 statement. My friend scolded that unfortunate As*teruk person KAW KAW and said "what will happen if I don't check, so this mistake will not be noticed and I will then continue overpay ?"

I have learned my lesson so many many years ago to NEVER trust any person from any Malaysian big companies, especially govt depts. Really... I actually use my android phone to "secretly" do voice recordings whenever I have any official dealings with them.. Maxis, TM, Astro, whatever AND I will always keep the complete paper documents for roughly more than 10 years in my special cabinet. Maybe overdoing it but better to be safe than be sorry later. Malaysia BOLEH !

Well... again... you did not have any actual voice recording of that As*teruk lady who told you that you can keep the smartcard to prove the actual words spoken so she can LATER always twist and deny it by saying that you mis-understood her and then corrected her mistake by saying that she had told you that keeping smartcard is only for account suspension, not for termination of account, LOL ! Time and again, I have often faced with such tactics from such people to protect themselves !

Mistakes can be made and mis-understanding can happen.

Whether I am right or wrong... you decide whether to keep the smartcard upon termination. Even if you only wanted to temporarily "suspend" your account and keep the smartcard, only you will know how long you intend to keep on suspension and will As*teruk allow your voluntary suspension for long periods or forever ?

Note : I was told by my installer friend that the Smartcard, Byond/Byond PVR box and Dish are the property of As*teruk. Only the old Astro DMT boxes belong to subscribers. Even if As*teruk did not ask for return now, they have the right to demand return or charge penalty for non-return in the future. True or not ? Its up to you to believe me or not, hehe.

By the way, why keep the smartcard ? You know that the Byond smartcard cannot be used on other Byond boxes and, also, all channels have been deactivated.

sweat.gif cool.gif

This post has been edited by jamesleetech: Sep 27 2012, 02:25 AM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0455sec    0.43    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:06 PM