Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis Connect to Maxis using Custom Router!, Guidelines

views

odan
post Sep 3 2012, 04:03 PM

10 posts

Thanks for sharing bro. I am using a Mikrotik router but great to know that it can be done. I shall try tonight.

Do you mind to share if I should connect my custom router to Thomson's WAN port or LAN port? Also, does the two routers need to share the same subnet? Do I need to disable DHCP or Thomson router?

Thanks.

QUOTE(theMadMan @ Sep 2 2012, 12:31 PM)
Thanks for pointing that out for me.  Sorry I got confused by what you meant  notworthy.gif

My WAN port is actually physically dead.. probably due to line noise from lightning  cry.gif It was working before.

It's good to know about the potential problem with the WAN port due to the firmware on the newer 1043 models; so I will bookmark it.

For all of you out there, imho the TP-Link WR-1043ND quite a good value for a nearly full featured router @ <RM160, USB port, Gigabit ports, 8MB flash for openwrt.  Only thing missing is dual-band N wifi.

However, if there are other good value routers out there, I would like to be proven wrong (for my future purchases) wink.gif

Added on September 3, 2012, 1:30 pm

I received the above PM, so I am just putting my response in public for the benefit of all:

Yes, you are right.

My custom router is the TP-Link WR-1043ND running a custom firmware, openwrt. I configured openwrt to have VLAN id 822 go from WAN to a specific LAN port. You may find some more instructions in this thread.

After that, just plug in the thomson router to the specific LAN port above, not just any port. It should work with no changes to the thomson router itself. If it doesn't, like in my case, you may have to delete the telephony settings and re-add it back.
theMadMan
post Sep 3 2012, 04:21 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(odan @ Sep 3 2012, 04:03 PM)
Thanks for sharing bro. I am using a Mikrotik router but great to know that it can be done. I shall try tonight.
Do you mind to share if I should connect my custom router to Thomson's WAN port or LAN port? Also, does the two routers need to share the same subnet? Do I need to disable DHCP or Thomson router?

Thanks.
1) connect the dedicated VLAN port of your custom router to the Thomson WAN port
2) it shouldn't matter if the two routers are on the same subnet or not. If your mikrotik is sending VLAN 822 data to the thomson, it would be in ethernet frames, which have no bearing on the higher-level IP protocol, I believe.

and 3), you shouldn't need to do anything to the thomson, other than disabling the wifi. unless you want to have two wifi hotspots.

This post has been edited by theMadMan: Sep 3 2012, 04:22 PM
odan
post Sep 3 2012, 04:44 PM

10 posts

thanks a lot. i will try this out tonight.

QUOTE(theMadMan @ Sep 3 2012, 04:21 PM)
1) connect the dedicated VLAN port of your custom router to the Thomson WAN port
2) it shouldn't matter if the two routers are on the same subnet or not. If your mikrotik is sending VLAN 822 data to the thomson, it would be in ethernet frames, which have no bearing on the higher-level IP protocol, I believe.

and 3), you shouldn't need to do anything to the thomson, other than disabling the wifi.  unless you want to have two wifi hotspots.
jssc
post Sep 3 2012, 09:41 PM

0 posts

To configure tl1043 for Internet and VoIP support, can refer to my setting (refer to page11). I do hv some guide and photo on it
mghong
post Sep 6 2012, 01:44 AM

Casual
450 posts

QUOTE(jssc @ Sep 3 2012, 09:41 PM)
To configure tl1043 for Internet and VoIP support, can refer to my setting (refer to page11). I do hv some guide and photo on it
hI Jssc

I bought the wrong routerfrom 1043 to 941ND...sad.gif . I flash openwrt but i can't find the "switch" feature at network tab.. (this is wat i realize i doing something wrong already...)

But without using the trank firmware as stated by Keet , i use his version of workaround
1) i copy several setting for vlan 621

vconfig add wan 621
ifconfig wan.621 up
ifconfig lan4 up
exit 0

2) WinSCP step to change the /etc/config/network to tag wan port to wan.621.

and now i'm surfing internet no more using thomson but TpLink.

my 2nd issue was , how can link tp-link to thomson to resume back my VOIP from thomson.. ??? anyone ?

narf03
post Sep 6 2012, 09:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,544 posts

QUOTE(t3rmig @ Sep 3 2012, 03:23 PM)
Hi all,

I have read throught all the post but couldnt find a solution for my case.

I want to use the custom router as well to replace the lousy Thompson.

The guideline discussed in this thread show that the btu modem model is Huawei HG655a (for vdsl)
However, in my case, I am having a modem of Fiberhome AN5506-04 which was provided by TM installer.

Normally this Fiberhome will be provided by TM in Klang Valley landed home only.

I have no idea on what is the username and password to login into this Fiberhome fiber modem.
I need to log into this btu to modify some part,  same as it is done for Huawei.

Could anyone share on how to solve this?

Thank You
yup same here, i want to replace this POS(piece of shi+), everytime a machine with bitcomet starts, router sure die in less than 10 mins.

I able to figure out the login, username is Administrator and password is the access key which can be found behind the router, should be like 7-8 character long, and case sensitive. What i unable to figure out is how to get all setting out from the maxis POS. I need to know the ip address/subnet of the modem, and my account password, etc. Anybody have done that willing to share your experience ? thank you.
aariz
post Sep 7 2012, 11:50 AM

38 posts

hi all.. sorry for the noob question..

i just installed maxis fibre internet last tuesday and the wifi signal cant get through to the whole house..

based on what i read here / my understanding.. from the first post.. i can use other router to connect to internet and need to maintain thomson for voip..

my first question.. can i replace with any router or need to use any specific router..?

2nd question.. pls suggest a good router that i can buy below rm300..

thanks..
peri peri
post Sep 7 2012, 11:52 AM

10k nonsense talkative club
All Stars
11,940 posts

QUOTE(aariz @ Sep 7 2012, 11:50 AM)
hi all.. sorry for the noob question..

i just installed maxis fibre internet last tuesday and the wifi signal cant get through to the whole house..

based on what i read here / my understanding.. from the first post.. i can use other router to connect to internet and need to maintain thomson for voip..

my first question.. can i replace with any router or need to use any specific router..?

2nd question.. pls suggest a good router that i can buy below rm300..

thanks..
dont put the router too near the window or door grille.
aariz
post Sep 7 2012, 03:27 PM

38 posts

QUOTE(peri peri @ Sep 7 2012, 11:52 AM)
dont put the router too near the window or door grille.
thanks for the advise..

another thing.. both my neighbours (on the left and right of the house) subscribed to unifi and i can get their wifi signal..

are their wifi signal interfering with my signal strength?

i havent check/scan their wifi signal yet.. but if i change my wifi channel.. will my wifi signal increase? any tips on this?

thanks

Added on September 7, 2012, 5:02 pmanyway.. just finished reading all the 26 pages.. pening oredi..

what is the best router with standard firmware that i need to buy? and im using the black huawei modem.. not sure which model.. and i need to Voip..

thanks

Added on September 7, 2012, 11:58 pmjust read the topic from beginning again..

this is my standard setup..

huawei hg850a > thomson

im fed up with the wifi signal.. and i want to purchace other router..
and i would like to use standard firmware as im not really familiar with all this network thingy..
and i want to use voip on thomson..

is it possible? can u guys suggest me any good router.. asus?

thanks..

This post has been edited by aariz: Sep 7 2012, 11:58 PM
benlye
post Sep 8 2012, 04:48 PM

The alternate person
1,670 posts

Just buy a wifi extender (tplink or asus). currently only asus can configure without custom firmware. But u'll need to know the vlan id. But u'll lose the VoIP doing so.

I would recommend using the same router but buy a wireless extender

Added on September 8, 2012, 4:51 pm
QUOTE(narf03 @ Sep 6 2012, 09:41 PM)
yup same here, i want to replace this POS(piece of shi+), everytime a machine with bitcomet starts, router sure die in less than 10 mins.

I able to figure out the login, username is Administrator and password is the access key which can be found behind the router, should be like 7-8 character long, and case sensitive. What i unable to figure out is how to get all setting out from the maxis POS. I need to know the ip address/subnet of the modem, and my account password, etc. Anybody have done that willing to share your experience ? thank you.
There is no need to access ur modem.. All username n password are in the router..

U'll should be able to backup the configuration file n open it as it is just text.

The backup option is located somewhere in your router.. Check all the settings

This post has been edited by benlye: Sep 8 2012, 04:51 PM
amil123
post Sep 8 2012, 11:10 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

doh.gif aiyark try to configure openwrt with tp link wr841nd
no luck .... stuck at installing luci

This post has been edited by amil123: Sep 8 2012, 11:11 PM
benlye
post Sep 9 2012, 06:35 PM

The alternate person
1,670 posts

QUOTE(amil123 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:10 PM)
doh.gif  aiyark try to configure openwrt with tp link wr841nd
Don't think there is enough space for it
amil123
post Sep 10 2012, 01:54 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

Success connect Maxis Fiber With Tp-link Wr841nd rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by amil123: Sep 10 2012, 01:55 AM
jssc
post Sep 10 2012, 09:02 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(mghong @ Sep 6 2012, 01:44 AM)
hI Jssc

I bought the wrong routerfrom 1043 to 941ND...sad.gif . I flash openwrt but i can't find the "switch" feature at network tab.. (this is wat i realize i doing something wrong already...)

But without using the trank firmware as stated by Keet , i use his version of workaround
1) i copy several setting for vlan 621

vconfig add wan 621
ifconfig wan.621 up
ifconfig lan4 up
exit 0

2) WinSCP step to change the /etc/config/network to tag wan port to wan.621.

and now i'm surfing internet no more using thomson but TpLink.

my 2nd issue was , how can link tp-link to thomson to resume back my VOIP from thomson.. ??? anyone ?
So far I try can't be done for 941nd to connect VoIP

Added on September 10, 2012, 9:04 am
QUOTE(amil123 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:10 PM)
doh.gif  aiyark try to configure openwrt with tp link wr841nd
It can be done. I try b4

And also 842nd also can use for maxis ftth Internet but can't connect VoIP

This post has been edited by jssc: Sep 10 2012, 09:04 AM
aariz
post Sep 12 2012, 10:25 AM

38 posts

hello all..

thanks to this topic.. im now successfully connect my maxis to tp-link1043 openwrt..

but i have one problem.. my ipad cannot get the wifi signal when im upstairs.. but all other device are fine.. i think the problem is with the ipad itself.. so i want to boost the signal in my room upstairs..

what better option should i use..
1. buy range extender (tp-link)
2. change antenna to 8dbi tp-link
3. or there are better alternative that the 2 above..

really appreciate your help.. thanks a lot

benlye
post Sep 13 2012, 06:21 PM

The alternate person
1,670 posts

QUOTE(aariz @ Sep 12 2012, 10:25 AM)
hello all..

thanks to this topic.. im now successfully connect my maxis to tp-link1043 openwrt..

but i have one problem.. my ipad cannot get the wifi signal when im upstairs.. but all other device are fine.. i think the problem is with the ipad itself.. so i want to boost the signal in my room upstairs..

Option 1
rootlinux
post Sep 13 2012, 07:56 PM

Enthusiast
898 posts

QUOTE(amil123 @ Sep 10 2012, 01:54 AM)
Success connect Maxis Fiber With Tp-link Wr841nd  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Please share your switch vlan setting too. Thank you.

Added on September 13, 2012, 8:11 pm
QUOTE(jssc @ Jul 14 2012, 01:13 AM)
this is my vlan settings on TP-LINK TL-WR1043 for Thomson PG (VOIP Only). [attachmentid=2945861]

These TP-LINK I use it as router and WIFI.
hi jssc, with your settings...the thomson wifi cant use for surfing internet? thank u smile.gif

This post has been edited by rootlinux: Sep 13 2012, 08:11 PM
aariz
post Sep 14 2012, 08:54 AM

38 posts

QUOTE(benlye @ Sep 13 2012, 06:21 PM)
Option 1
thanks bro..

one more thing.. can i configure my tplink with openwrt as repeater and use thomson as main router?
jssc
post Sep 14 2012, 09:37 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(aariz @ Sep 12 2012, 10:25 AM)
hello all..

If can go for homeplug plus Ap (wireless)

If not get wireless extender

Added on September 14, 2012, 9:38 am
QUOTE(rootlinux @ Sep 13 2012, 07:56 PM)
Please share your switch vlan setting too. Thank you.

Added on September 13, 2012, 8:11 pm

hi jssc, with your settings...the thomson wifi cant use for surfing internet? thank u smile.gif

Can need change some setting in thomson

This post has been edited by jssc: Sep 14 2012, 09:38 AM
rootlinux
post Sep 14 2012, 07:40 PM

Enthusiast
898 posts

QUOTE(jssc @ Sep 14 2012, 09:37 AM)
If can go for homeplug plus Ap (wireless)

If not get wireless extender

Added on September 14, 2012, 9:38 am

Can need change some setting in thomson
can share the setting if u have done it? thanks smile.gif notworthy.gif

69 Pages « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:14 AM