Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

CALLING ALL MEDICAL STUDENTS! V3, medical student chat+info center

views

podrunner
post May 24 2017, 07:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,200 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 24 2017, 03:49 PM)
Is it necessary to have the "official results"? Apparently she has made an appointment to see them on
Friday. Relative is pretty independent and does a lot of things on her own and only ask when necessary esp $$$ laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Understand that fyi is commencing end of July.

Will check with her on the need for premium service. 550 pounds can do a lot more shopping in London.
That's what I understood.
If she is already seeing them, then all good. Yes, F1 starting end of July, with a week of shadowing before "Black Wednesday" on 2 August. Is your relative sticking with the deanery at the same place? Or London?

This post has been edited by podrunner: May 24 2017, 08:24 PM
limeuu
post May 24 2017, 08:04 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

the shadowing varies, some 2 weeks, and some don't have at all....
cckkpr
post May 25 2017, 10:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(podrunner @ May 24 2017, 07:00 PM)
That's what I understood.
If she is already seeing them, then all good. Yes, F1 starting end of July, with a week of shadowing before "Black Wednesday" on 2 August. Is your relative sticking with the deanery at the same place? Or London?
Its one of the hospitals about 40 mins from where she is staying. Happy with what she got. Some got Aberdeen and Dundee which is quite a distance away.

Was told that nearly all the IMU scholars are also doing the fyi, though they will report to JPA first and and go back to UK. Will return if asked to by JPA, I doubt JPA will be interested in the current scenario. Unless JPA want to send them to East Malaysia. Was also told that rotations done in UK can be offset against period of housemanship. Not sure about this but I think at this time preference is for a longer contract period and not a shorter stint.

You are going end of June or early July?

I will be there end of June.
podrunner
post May 25 2017, 12:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,200 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 25 2017, 10:37 AM)
Its one of the hospitals about 40 mins from where she is staying. Happy with what she got. Some got Aberdeen and Dundee which is quite a distance away.

Was told that nearly all the IMU scholars are also doing the fyi, though they will report to JPA first and and go back to UK. Will return if asked to by JPA, I doubt JPA will be interested in the current scenario. Unless JPA want to send them to East Malaysia. Was also told that rotations done in UK can be offset against period of housemanship. Not sure about this but I think at this time preference is for a longer contract period and not a shorter stint.

You are going end of June or early July?

I will be there end of June.
Good news for the JPA scholars! At least the training follows through as it should. Well they get 2 years for FY, then 3 years for CT, if they get jobs. Mine got his first choice, so I guess he's happy. Will be there in July, graduation in mid July. Time sure flies, ringgit too! LOL

cckkpr
post May 25 2017, 02:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(podrunner @ May 25 2017, 12:56 PM)
Good news for the JPA scholars! At least the training follows through as it should. Well they get 2 years for FY, then 3 years for CT, if they get jobs.  Mine got his first choice, so I guess he's happy. Will be there in July, graduation in mid July. Time sure flies, ringgit too! LOL
Time really flies. Last trip there was at the beginning of the 5 years. This time just squeezed 3 weeks in.

Good that all graduates got placement and not like couple of years ago where there was worry that there may not be enough places available.

Jckc
post May 25 2017, 03:28 PM

Casual
330 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 25 2017, 02:50 PM)
Time really flies. Last trip there was at the beginning of the 5 years. This time just squeezed 3 weeks in.

Good that all graduates got placement and not like couple of years ago where there was worry that there may not be enough places available.
There is still an excess this year but hopefully they can allocate them with no probs.
Awaiting the report from fpas.
cckkpr
post May 25 2017, 03:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(Jckc @ May 25 2017, 03:28 PM)
There is still an excess this year but hopefully they can allocate them with no probs.
Awaiting the report from fpas.
Oh sorry, I thought no issue with placements. Didn't hear anything from relative. Podrunner relative and mine also got the preferred choice.

Yeah, just a question. Do these graduate doctors get any allowances on top of the designated salary? Like those in Malaysia, where allowances can amount to 60% of the basic salary.
limeuu
post May 25 2017, 03:50 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

Based on projections, all applicants will get a fy job this year....not sure if there was even a second round...

There will be loadings on top of base pay, for working​ out of hours....that used to add 50% on top....not sure how the new contract will have changed that....

P/s only 26 on the reserve list....compared to 500 in 2013....

This post has been edited by limeuu: May 25 2017, 04:04 PM
cckkpr
post May 25 2017, 04:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 25 2017, 03:50 PM)
Based on projections, all applicants will get a fy job this year....not sure if there was even a second round...

There will be loadings on top of base pay, for working​ out of hours....that used to add 50% on top....not sure how the new contract will have changed that....

P/s only 26 on the reserve list....compared to 500 in 2013....
500 can also be considered high but they still managed to place them in the second round.

But Oz seems to be having some issues with such placement now....never know what happen in 5 years time.

On a side note, accounting seems to be one of the best profession to be, whether in good or bad times. In just less than 2 years many esp in the auditing area are quitting due to stress related issues arising from a lot of new requirements and tight time line.

Never know what is down the road in the next 10 years....
podrunner
post May 25 2017, 05:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,200 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 25 2017, 02:50 PM)

Wow, thought you went in between. Well, it's good to celebrate the end of financial obligations, for this one anyway. smile.gif

Agree re placements...although some got hospitals much further away.
podrunner
post May 25 2017, 05:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,200 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 25 2017, 03:43 PM)
Oh sorry, I thought no issue with placements. Didn't hear anything from relative. Podrunner relative and mine also got the preferred choice.

Yeah, just a question. Do these graduate doctors get any allowances on top of the designated salary? Like those in Malaysia, where allowances can amount to 60% of the basic salary.
Don't know how that works, but I understand they can do some locum work.

limeuu
post May 25 2017, 06:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 25 2017, 04:24 PM)
500 can also be considered high but they still managed to place them in the second round.

But Oz seems to be having some issues with such placement now....never know what happen in 5 years time.

In 2013, it took 4 rounds to place everybody, although all got jobs....

Oz still managed to place all internationals who applied this year, but I think few from Monash Malaysia got jobs, if any...next year will be worse....and they have already removed the 457 visa used by internationals to work....and may remove doctors from the shortage list completely, which will mean ALL internationals will need to leave on graduation....
limeuu
post May 25 2017, 06:45 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(podrunner @ May 25 2017, 05:56 PM)
Don't know how that works, but I understand they can do some locum work.
There will not be time for locum work, except for the occasional covering of colleagues who call in sick at the last moment....

Previous to the NHS doctors contract revision in England, housemans will usually be in a rotation which will be rated with a 50 or 45% loading depending on the banding of that particular job...that is an averaging calculation to account for the portion of the standard 75hrs/fortnight worked outside 'normal" hours....

Ewtd does not allow for longer work time....but the job requirement mandates doctors to work long hours for stretches....this is even out by mandating time off outside annual leaves...so you will have situations where you work long hours for a 3 week stretch, then given 10 days off the roster to keep within the ewtd....
podrunner
post May 25 2017, 07:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,200 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 25 2017, 06:45 PM)
There will not be time for locum work, except for the occasional covering of colleagues who call in sick at the last moment....

Previous to the NHS doctors contract revision in England, housemans will usually be in a rotation which will be rated with a 50 or 45% loading depending on the banding of that particular job...that is an averaging calculation to account for the portion of the standard 75hrs/fortnight worked outside 'normal" hours....

Ewtd does not allow for longer work time....but the job requirement mandates doctors to work long hours for stretches....this is even out by mandating time off outside annual leaves...so you will have situations where you work long hours for a 3 week stretch, then given 10 days off the roster to keep within the ewtd....
Depending on your rotation, the locum work for some has been quite good, according to the seniors.
i think they get 9 days off per rotation now.
limeuu
post May 26 2017, 12:39 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(podrunner @ May 25 2017, 07:28 PM)
Depending on your rotation, the locum work for some has been quite good, according to the seniors.
i think they get 9 days off per rotation now.
There is 5 weeks annual leave, or more accurately, 25 working days....what I mentioned is over and above annual leaves....when your will have exceeded statutory working hours limits and need to stop work for a while...

It can stretch up to 2 weeks at times including weekends, and people have been known to go to Europe for holidays during such breaks....the problem is, rotas only get set few weeks in advance, so such trips tend to be impromptu....

This post has been edited by limeuu: May 26 2017, 12:40 AM
cckkpr
post May 26 2017, 10:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 26 2017, 12:39 AM)
There is 5 weeks annual leave, or more accurately, 25 working days....what I mentioned is over and above annual leaves....when your will have exceeded statutory working hours limits and need to stop work for a while...

It can stretch up to 2 weeks at times including weekends, and people have been known to go to Europe for holidays during such breaks....the problem is, rotas only get set few weeks in advance, so such trips tend to be impromptu....
Relative working hours will be morning till 9pm Monday to Friday and off over the weekends except that once every 3 or 4 weeks have to work over the weekend.

And after every 4 months will be given 2 weeks leave.
limeuu
post May 26 2017, 11:43 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 26 2017, 10:12 AM)
Relative working hours will be morning till 9pm Monday to Friday and off over the weekends except that once every 3 or 4 weeks have to work over the weekend.

Each job is different, depending on the departments rotated through....those with mostly office hours will have lower banding but more civil hours....

Unlike Msia, each job in fy1 (you get to choose from a list) is fixed before hand.... although the exact rota will not be known till just before starting the rotation...

Sounds like relative starting with an easy office hr rotation...
cckkpr
post May 26 2017, 03:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 26 2017, 11:43 AM)
Each job is different, depending on the departments rotated through....those with mostly office hours will have lower banding but more civil hours....

Unlike Msia, each job in fy1 (you get to choose from a list) is fixed before hand.... although the exact rota will not be known till just before starting the rotation...

Sounds like relative starting with an easy office hr rotation...
She also got the rotation that she wanted for the first one and it was about 1.5 months ago. Seems happy about it. laugh.gif

Jckc
post May 26 2017, 05:00 PM

Casual
330 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ May 26 2017, 10:12 AM)

the 2 weeks can be taken any time within the rotation. its just getting the approval from the rota manager.

sounds like an acute medicine/surgery admission rota. if he/she doesnt have nights, bless him/her lol.
cckkpr
post May 26 2017, 05:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

QUOTE(Jckc @ May 26 2017, 05:00 PM)
the 2 weeks can be taken any time within the rotation. its just getting the approval from the rota manager.

sounds like an acute medicine/surgery admission rota. if he/she doesnt have nights, bless him/her lol.
Correct. Its acute medicine.

91 Pages « < 71 72 73 74 75 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0248sec    0.38    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:16 PM