Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
148 Pages « < 139 140 141 142 143 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headphones Headphone Amplifier and DAC Recommendation, portables, desktops, amps, dac, lai

views

widget
post Feb 11 2015, 11:03 AM

Regular
1,155 posts

QUOTE(shin2l @ Feb 11 2015, 10:18 AM)
Okay, thanks a lot.

Oh ya, just see your signature and you have Roxanne + AK100II

Do you use an external amp to pair with AK100II to drive your Roxanne?

What is the difference between JH11, 13, 16 and Roxanne in terms of sound quality?
I plugged the Roxanne direct to the 3.5mm AK100II jack as I values total portability.
I tried the 2.5mm balanced out but the sound to me just lacking the dynamic, maybe because AK100II balanced out has less power to the single-ended, as opposed to the AK120II and 240.

I have not tried the JH11, so no idea about the sound.
As for the 13, 16 and Roxanne, truth be told I much prefer the 13 sq over the other 2.
I jumped on the Roxanne due o the 2013 Black Friday discount but the waiting period of 8 months for the carbon fiber ciem left a bad taste in my mouth.

SQ wise, the Roxanne is a bit warmer compared to the 13 due to the smooth high and thicker mids.
The 13 sounds energetic, and almost neutral except with a bump-up mid bass. The treble is much clearer, with morr sparkles compared to Roxanne.
The 16 has too much sub bass for my liking, making it almost sound like a V-shape.

shin2l
post Feb 11 2015, 11:20 AM

Regular
1,032 posts

QUOTE(widget @ Feb 11 2015, 11:03 AM)
I plugged the Roxanne direct to the 3.5mm AK100II jack as I values total portability.
I tried the 2.5mm balanced out but the sound to me just lacking the dynamic, maybe because AK100II balanced out has less power to the single-ended, as opposed to the AK120II and 240.

I have not tried the JH11, so no idea about the sound.
As for the 13, 16 and Roxanne, truth be told I much prefer the 13 sq over the other 2.
I jumped on the Roxanne due o the 2013 Black Friday discount but the waiting period of 8 months for the carbon fiber ciem left a bad taste in my mouth.

SQ wise, the Roxanne is a bit warmer compared to the 13 due to the smooth high and thicker mids.
The 13 sounds energetic, and almost neutral except with a bump-up mid bass. The treble is much clearer, with morr sparkles compared to Roxanne.
The 16 has too much sub bass for my liking, making it almost sound like a V-shape.
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Seriously when I tried JH5, 11, 13, 16 and Roxanne.

What I think of is my AK100II cant drive Roxanne well (lack of power maybe)

JH5pro is sounds okay to me. 11, 13 and 16 make no difference to me sweat.gif as I listen to OST and pure instrument.

However, when I tried VE3 and VE4, I found that they are better than JH in playing OST and pure instrument, but vocals part is inferior to JH.

I havent tried Fitear yet.
zephyryj
post Feb 14 2015, 10:56 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

Please recommend me a usd500 under over-ear headphone for home use and maybe a dac/amp to compliment it. Do not like too much bass. Prefer classical music/pop music. Thanks.

This post has been edited by zephyryj: Feb 14 2015, 11:01 PM
transparent101
post Feb 17 2015, 12:24 AM

38 posts

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser HD650, is the Aune T1 a good budget dac to go with it?
Thanks~
liquidgal
post Feb 17 2015, 10:40 AM

Enthusiast
809 posts

QUOTE(xdd1987 @ Jan 30 2015, 08:59 AM)
Hi guys , recently i bought a TTPOD T1E ,do u guys heard this brand b4?

i found it quite underpowered for Fiio X1, less bass

I read many reviews that this IEM must power up by a amp for full potential

any amp recommended for this IEM? or should another IEM lolz

Budget is around rm500
I actually suggest you to change player instead of buying an amp. Fiio X1 is indeed not bad, it's quite England sound to me, focus more on the mids, not so much expansion on treble and bass. It does have bass but loosen and not solid type. I also audition TTPOD whole series before. They are good IEMs which good clarity and with good bass. They are not hard to drive. If you want to maintain the sound signature and get bass out of it, I suggest you to go for Fiio X3 instead.

QUOTE(shin2l @ Feb 10 2015, 07:12 PM)
Thinking of getting a Desktop DAC (come with AMP function will be better). I only listen to few DACs, the most satisfied DAC I ever listen with HD600 is Chord Hugo, however, that one is for portable, but I dont need portable DAC, even it can be used for Desktop DAC will be quite a waste (of money as I dont need portable). So I think I can find a desktop DAC which has the same or powerful than Chord Hugo in terms of sound quality.

Headphone: HD600
Source: PCHIFI, mainly 192kHz, 96kHz Jazz, Blue, OST, Pops; SACDs will be mainly Orchestra

Criteria for DAC:
- Able to play native DSD (SACD) in USB DAC mode smile.gif
- Price RM2k~4k cry.gif
- Any Brand
- Workmanship must be good
- Support Balanced XLR (for my HD600 to upgrade to Balanced XLR cable in future)
- At least Chord Hugo DAC level rclxms.gif
- can fully or almost drive out HD600 thumbup.gif

Thank you. notworthy.gif
QUOTE(widget @ Feb 11 2015, 10:11 AM)
I did audition Yulong DA8 but it doesn't have balanced headphone out.
I tried it with my HD800 but to me the amp part is so-so only, so did not proceed further.

The owner of the Yulong told me he prefers it over the more expensive Mytek 192.
Yulong DA8 is actually more on DAC. The build in amp can't really drive headphone like HD600 or K701. Even a RM500+ Cayin C5 portable amp is better than it. So I don't suggest using it as a DAC cum amp.

But it is indeed a very good DAC. It has balance line out for DAC. To get the whole potential out of it, you should pair it with a decent desktop amp.
If you want a full balance system, then can get a full balance amp. But that might be over your budget.

One of the best combinations I have for HD600 is Yulong DA8 + Lafigaro 339 with upgraded tubes. (total budget around RM7K, excluding upgraded power cord, usb cable, rca cable and receptacles). Lafigaro amp is single ended, but with widest sound stage that I ever heard even compare to higher range amp. It has the typical tube amp sound, warm and rich with good ambience, with good dynamic as well. HD600 sounds very open, detailed, and musical, which makes lafigaro stands out from the rest for HD600.

You can also consider getting their brothers, D200 + Lafigaro 332S. D200 also has balance output and support DSD.
Yulong D200 is more direct sounding and have strong punch at bass compare to DA8. DA8 has wider sound stage, smoother and more musical. Both are clean, neutral, refined, airy.
Other DAC at around the same range, you can also consider Aune S16 with use the latest DAC chip AK4495S from AKM and Matrix mini i pro.
S16 has a stronger build in amp among the rest and can last for a while as a DAC cum amp. But still can't compare to a pure amp.
Matrix mini i pro wise, has very analogue sound, smooth and more on the mids.

If you prefer a DAC cum amp with balance system, I suggest you to consider Audio-GD NFB28. All the models of Audio-GD with ES9018 DAC chip supports DSD, so you can check them out. Audio-GD always has very strong output power for headphones.

It's thick with slightly dark background, sound stage is moderately wide but with good depth, accurate with good punch. What I like Audio-GDs the most is that, music becomes so lively, every single track is like listening to a live concert which makes it so special from the others. I was confused and getting headache when trying to mix and match for my Master 9. My doubt is all resolved until I manage to audition Master 7 + Master 9 combo. So REAL!
It's not a perfect system that emphasize on every technical parts of the sound. But it's definitely a system with strong character, special, charming and so musical.
That doesn't mean it doesn't have good details or separation. It just doesn't push them to your face.

This post has been edited by liquidgal: Feb 17 2015, 10:44 AM
shin2l
post Feb 17 2015, 01:12 PM

Regular
1,032 posts

QUOTE(liquidgal @ Feb 17 2015, 10:40 AM)
Yulong DA8 is actually more on DAC. The build in amp can't really drive headphone like HD600 or K701. Even a RM500+ Cayin C5 portable amp is better than it. So I don't suggest using it as a DAC cum amp.

But it is indeed a very good DAC. It has balance line out for DAC. To get the whole potential out of it, you should pair it with a decent desktop amp.
If you want a full balance system, then can get a full balance amp.  But that might be over your budget.

One of the best combinations I have for HD600 is Yulong DA8 + Lafigaro 339 with upgraded tubes. (total budget around RM7K, excluding upgraded power cord, usb cable, rca cable and receptacles). Lafigaro amp is single ended, but with widest sound stage that I ever heard even compare to higher range amp. It has the typical tube amp sound, warm and rich with good ambience, with good dynamic as well. HD600 sounds very open, detailed, and musical, which makes lafigaro stands out from the rest for HD600.

You can also consider getting their brothers, D200 + Lafigaro 332S. D200 also has balance output and support DSD.
Yulong D200 is more direct sounding and have strong punch at bass compare to DA8. DA8 has wider sound stage, smoother and more musical. Both are clean, neutral, refined, airy.
Other DAC at around the same range, you can also consider Aune S16 with use the latest DAC chip AK4495S from AKM and Matrix mini i pro.
S16 has a stronger build in amp among the rest and can last for a while as a DAC cum amp. But still can't compare to a pure amp.
Matrix mini i pro wise, has very analogue sound, smooth and more on the mids.

If you prefer a DAC cum amp with balance system, I suggest you to consider Audio-GD NFB28. All the models of Audio-GD with ES9018 DAC chip supports DSD, so you can check them out. Audio-GD always has very strong output power for headphones.

It's thick with slightly dark background, sound stage is moderately wide but with good depth, accurate with good punch. What I like Audio-GDs the most is that, music becomes so lively, every single track is like listening to a live concert which makes it so special from the others. I was confused and getting headache when trying to mix and match for my Master 9. My doubt is all resolved until I manage to audition Master 7 + Master 9 combo. So REAL!
It's not a perfect system that emphasize on every technical parts of the sound. But it's definitely a system with strong character, special, charming and so musical.
That doesn't mean it doesn't have good details or separation. It just doesn't push them to your face.
Good to hear you again!!

And Congrats on your new business store.

Now I have few lists of Desktop DAC from you. Right now I dont have plan for AMP part yet, thinking of settling DAC first.

Quite surprise the AMP part of Yulong DA8 is weaker than portable amp. That means if I want to buy DA8, I need to get an AMP sweat.gif But how can 150mW@300Ω is not enough to drive HD600?

Aune product gives me a good impression (as I bought X1 pro dac from you) but I want to try different brand.

liquidgal
post Feb 18 2015, 12:22 AM

Enthusiast
809 posts

QUOTE(shin2l @ Feb 17 2015, 01:12 PM)
Good to hear you again!!

And Congrats on your new business store.

Now I have few lists of Desktop DAC from you. Right now I dont have plan for AMP part yet, thinking of settling DAC first.

Quite surprise the AMP part of Yulong DA8 is weaker than portable amp. That means if I want to buy DA8, I need to get an AMP sweat.gif But how can 150mW@300Ω is not enough to drive HD600?

Aune product gives me a good impression (as I bought X1 pro dac from you) but I want to try different brand.
Thanks ya. biggrin.gif

Specs is always for reference only. Even if it can give you volume, doesn't mean it can really drive. The build in amp of da8 is just a complimentary. Main character is the dac.
But if you want to spend your budget on getting a good dac first, you can consider using da8 as dac and x1 pro as amp for the mean time. Both build in amp are not strong, x1 pro amp should be slightly stronger.
You can compare yourself for these 2 gadgets.

Aune s16 is indeed pretty good but it is around the same range with d200.
hpares
post Feb 19 2015, 11:59 AM

On my way
529 posts

Hi, currently i am connecting my speaker to my monitor using DP's audio. Should i get a external DAC for better sound quality? Budget around 100 to 200. Lowyat shop got sell them? My mobo dont have any sound card slot so sound card is out of option.
Problem
post Feb 21 2015, 02:20 PM

On my way
605 posts

QUOTE(hpares @ Feb 19 2015, 11:59 AM)
Hi, currently i am connecting my speaker to my monitor using DP's audio. Should i get a external DAC for better sound quality? Budget around 100 to 200. Lowyat shop got sell them? My mobo dont have any sound card slot so sound card is out of option.
Best to upgrade your speakers first in order to benefit the most from the changes in improvements that you're seeking.

Only then once you're satisfied, an external DAC and/or amp should suffice.
xFreedomBoix
post Feb 24 2015, 04:13 PM

Wasuretakunai
680 posts

Hi..
would u guys recommend
cayin c5 / jds lab c5 / fiio e12 / any others amp to be paired with Fiio x3?
I want something portable, but still able to drive high imp cans like hd 650 at home when i'm not travelling..
hpares
post Feb 24 2015, 05:38 PM

On my way
529 posts

QUOTE(Problem @ Feb 21 2015, 02:20 PM)
Best to upgrade your speakers first in order to benefit the most from the changes in improvements that you're seeking.

Only then once you're satisfied, an external DAC and/or amp should suffice.
My current speaker is altec mx5021, should be not that bad. I am connecting it to my monitor audio out port, sound source from gpu. So I just wonder an external DAC would make the sound more better.
vivakarna
post Feb 24 2015, 06:58 PM

Regular
1,359 posts

QUOTE(hpares @ Feb 24 2015, 05:38 PM)
My current speaker is altec mx5021, should be not that bad. I am connecting it to my monitor audio out port, sound source from gpu. So I just wonder an external DAC would make the sound more better.
yeah it does, for starter u can buy ud120 external DAC by stoner acoustic. Very Good DAC.

E1 - AKG
post Feb 24 2015, 07:37 PM

Your personal audio store!
6,439 posts

QUOTE(hpares @ Feb 24 2015, 05:38 PM)
The FiiO E10K will be a better option as you can plug in your headphones if any ... at the same time brows.gif

user posted image

post Feb 26 2015, 11:11 AM

EimiFukada
All Stars
14,240 posts

Hi guys, I have just bought ATH-IM02 and looking for 1 portable dac+amp combi.
Is there any good one which is around price range of RM 500 ?

I have read about E18 think it is not bad, are there any more options?
psychoactive
post Feb 28 2015, 07:05 PM

Casual
438 posts

QUOTE(0168257061 @ Feb 26 2015, 11:11 AM)
Hi guys, I have just bought ATH-IM02 and looking for 1 portable dac+amp combi.
Is there any good one which is around price range of RM 500 ?

I have read about E18 think it is not bad, are there any more options?
IM02 is quite picky for dac/amp pairing, be sure you can try them first out before you buy. smile.gif
hpares
post Feb 28 2015, 07:33 PM

On my way
529 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Feb 24 2015, 07:37 PM)
The FiiO E10K will be a better option as you can plug in your headphones if any ... at the same time  brows.gif

user posted image
Is there any DAC with both line in and line out? Because I was hoping to attach it in between my monitor and my speaker since now i am using line out from monitor to my speaker. So when ever i switch between each HDMI and DPs, the speaker can work both for my pc and my ps3 or ps4 in future.
beh0211
post Mar 1 2015, 01:45 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

Hi guys, I have a DT770pro/80 and a DT880pro/250. Is a JDSLabs CMOYBB 2.03 with 2x9V good for this??
tzuen
post Mar 4 2015, 09:42 PM

Casual
426 posts

Good day guys.

i'm pretty new to desktop amplifier, i've heard about it but never dig into it. It's been a while and still using my SE215 with Dell and Macbook pro laptop.

Laptops equip with desktop amplifier does it helps to boost up the music quality? Or i need additional hardware on my laptop?

Thanks!
E1 - AKG
post Mar 5 2015, 08:33 AM

Your personal audio store!
6,439 posts

QUOTE(tzuen @ Mar 4 2015, 09:42 PM)
Good day guys.

i'm pretty new to desktop amplifier, i've heard about it but never dig into it. It's been a while and still using my SE215 with Dell and Macbook pro laptop.

Laptops equip with desktop amplifier does it helps to boost up the music quality? Or i need additional hardware on my laptop?

Thanks!
Before you dive into a proper desktop setup, you may want to consider upgrading your pair of earphones sweat.gif

user posted image
tzuen
post Mar 5 2015, 09:41 AM

Casual
426 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Mar 5 2015, 08:33 AM)
Before you dive into a proper desktop setup, you may want to consider upgrading your pair of earphones  sweat.gif

user posted image
haha, i thought SE215 is good enough. Any recommendation for better in-earphones? Or HUDMX2 can help to boost better sound quality?

148 Pages « < 139 140 141 142 143 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0299sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:23 AM