Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Condo upstairs leaking, Need advise..

views

TS@Adele
post Mar 13 2011, 05:55 PM, updated 12y ago

Enthusiast
938 posts

Hi all, really need your advise. Anyone encounter this problem before, and how to solve?

The condo upstairs my unit, their bathroom is leaking. Causing my bathroom to have water dripping for quite awhile now. Recently, due to the water drip, even the electricity seems to have been 'sot sot' and cut off at the bathroom.

Both my bathrooms are affected.

I inform to the management about this, but they just said 'contact upstairs owner'. I left note with the owner, but so far nobody reply to me. Isn't it management's duty to help settle this?
duckaton
post Mar 13 2011, 06:01 PM

Progress is Imminent
1,216 posts

QUOTE(@Adele @ Mar 13 2011, 05:55 PM)
Hi all, really need your advise. Anyone encounter this problem before, and how to solve?

The condo upstairs my unit, their bathroom is leaking. Causing my bathroom to have water dripping for quite awhile now. Recently, due to the water drip, even the electricity seems to have been 'sot sot' and cut off at the bathroom.

Both my bathrooms are affected.

I inform to the management about this, but they just said 'contact upstairs owner'. I left note with the owner, but so far nobody reply to me. Isn't it management's duty to help settle this?
Check your house rules.
There should be a clause saying any leaking repairs should be borne by the unit above.
The management has to inform the unit upstairs and instruct them to carry out the repair.

P/S
The problem normally arise when some unqualified contractor carries out renovation (replacing tiles) without waterproofing.
These contractors are for those landed properties and has no experience doing for condos.
Cheapos employ cheapos.
TS@Adele
post Mar 13 2011, 06:35 PM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(duckaton @ Mar 13 2011, 06:01 PM)
Check your house rules.
There should be a clause saying any leaking repairs should be borne by the unit above.
The management has to inform the unit upstairs and instruct them to carry out the repair.

P/S
The problem normally arise when some unqualified contractor carries out renovation (replacing tiles) without waterproofing.
These contractors are for those landed properties and has no experience doing for condos.
Cheapos employ cheapos.
Actually i dont even mind sharing cost with the owner upstairs. I just want to stop the leaking. But what if he refuses to cooperate to open the door for repair or don't even want to repair at all.. is there anything i can do?

And the management is like... useless? How do I get them to do their job?
jessy123
post Mar 13 2011, 06:53 PM

Getting Started
283 posts

QUOTE(@Adele @ Mar 13 2011, 06:35 PM)
Actually i dont even mind sharing cost with the owner upstairs. I just want to stop the leaking. But what if he refuses to cooperate to open the door for repair or don't even want to repair at all.. is there anything i can do?

And the management is like... useless? How do I get them to do their job?
hi - i do sympathetize with your predicament.

suggest you go and talk to the owner upstairs nicely and hopefully they are reasonable people..take some pics and show it to them...if they agree to
address the problem then that is good news..but first you need to get hold of them. no point guessing what the owner will do or not do - just go knock on their door and ask.

as for the management, if the owner is not cooperative, then write officially to them stating your problem and request them to deal with the owner ..you just have to keep bugging them until they do something to resolve this problem

good luck ...
TS@Adele
post Mar 13 2011, 07:07 PM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(jessy123 @ Mar 13 2011, 06:53 PM)
hi - i do sympathetize with your predicament.

suggest you go and talk to the owner upstairs nicely and hopefully they are reasonable people..take some pics and show it to them...if they agree to
address the problem then that is good news..but first you need to get hold of them. no point guessing what the owner will do or not do - just go knock on their door and ask.

as for the management, if the owner is not cooperative, then write officially to them stating  your problem and request them to deal with the owner ..you just have to keep bugging them until they do something to resolve this problem

good luck ...
Thank you , hopefully the owner respond soon. Coz I already leave many notes to them, but nobody contacted me yet.

Anyone facing same problem, or how to settle can advise?

An agent friend told me to ask a lawyer to write a letter to the owner upstairs.. but I don't want to do so.. just hope to settle the thing peacefully.
leongal
post Mar 13 2011, 10:50 PM

~I have a new mission in life~
3,188 posts

i faced this problem recently when the above unit renovated the unit; after it's renovation, when he use the toilet, ceiling was dripping. I initially called the management, but the management ask me to speak to the owner. I went up and try to relate to the owner on this issue. Luckily, his contractor was still there. So, he asked the contractor over - the contractor himself was shocked to see how water was flowing down (like your case, bulb burst). Then, the contractor went up to see - it was one of the old pipes - not covered. The contractor fixed it two days later. The thing was settled. I was considered lucky that the owner takes the responsibility.

In your case, maybe you try to spot when the owner is at home (but sometimes people staying there might not be owner, those people might be renting)

This post has been edited by leongal: Mar 13 2011, 10:50 PM
TS@Adele
post Mar 13 2011, 11:40 PM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(leongal @ Mar 13 2011, 10:50 PM)
i faced this problem recently when the above unit renovated the unit; after it's renovation, when he use the toilet, ceiling was dripping. I initially called the management, but the management ask me to speak to the owner. I went up and try to relate to the owner on this issue. Luckily, his contractor was still there. So, he asked the contractor over - the contractor himself was shocked to see how water was flowing down (like your case, bulb burst). Then, the contractor went up to see - it was one of the old pipes - not covered. The contractor fixed it two days later. The thing was settled. I was considered lucky that the owner takes the responsibility.

In your case, maybe you try to spot when the owner is at home (but sometimes people staying there might not be owner, those people might be renting)
woo.. you were so lucky! In my case, somebody is home. But always come back very late I think. But why don't they respond to my notes.
Currently have to bath in the dark, no light, need to use candle and torchlight.

Can I ask, what is a 'bulb burst?' Does it mean everytime he flushes, your ceiling will start to drip water?
alhs76
post Mar 14 2011, 08:50 AM

Casual
480 posts

i have a neighbour (where i am staying) who faced this problem recently. She has to resort to sending a letter of demand (from her lawyer) to the owner despite being in touch with the owner who had always expressed willingness to rectify the problem but delayed the repair for a long time.

That's the second course of action you may want to consider depending on the quantum of damages (versus legal fees etc) to 'compel' action from the owner. Issuing a letter of demand is not costly but actual litigation is.

TS@Adele
post Mar 14 2011, 11:03 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(alhs76 @ Mar 14 2011, 08:50 AM)
i have a neighbour (where i am staying) who faced this problem recently. She has to resort to sending a letter of demand (from her lawyer) to the owner despite being in touch with the owner who had always expressed willingness to rectify the problem but delayed the repair for a long time.

That's the second course of action you may want to consider depending on the quantum of damages (versus legal fees etc) to 'compel' action from the owner. Issuing a letter of demand is not costly but actual litigation is.
Hi.. thanks for the advise. My agent friend demanded the same thing.

May I know though, did the owner actually fix it?
leongal
post Mar 14 2011, 12:48 PM

~I have a new mission in life~
3,188 posts

QUOTE(@Adele @ Mar 13 2011, 11:40 PM)
woo.. you were so lucky! In my case, somebody is home. But always come back very late I think. But why don't they respond to my notes.
Currently have to bath in the dark, no light, need to use candle and torchlight.

Can I ask, what is a 'bulb burst?' Does it mean everytime he flushes, your ceiling will start to drip water?
mine was worse, whenever they use water, water was dripping like rain water - luckily it was a toilet outside, and i have the master bedroom toilet to use; not that he flush then water drip, but when he pour water on the floor, water will drip

the bulb kena water, then burst lor....have to change bulb

now the ceiling has stain, but i will repaint it myself.....give-and-take, he helped me fix the leaking, so i paint myself

those people usually don't really care to respond because they are not affected, so, you need to get to them face to face lor; or bring a management office staff/ security guard (if possible)

if weekday can;t get, try weekend....
PhotoGlebe
post Mar 14 2011, 03:01 PM

13 posts

Since the management want you to liaise with your up-stair unit directly, you can request the management to provide you the contact of the unit.
Get the contact and call the person directly with polite, things should be resolved faster.

This post has been edited by PhotoGlebe: Mar 14 2011, 03:02 PM
dripinrain
post Mar 14 2011, 03:12 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

Its obvious owner upstairs is hoping u will tire out & leave him alone.

Since u don't want to involve lawyer YET, take firm measures :

1. Find out tel no. + address of owner from management office
2. Send a.r. registered letter to owner address, leave copy of letter at unit above (label 'personal delivery')
3. Letter content to state - (a) to repair leakage (b) your property damaged © health hazard
4. Letter to state - will claim (a) damages to property (b) doctor's bill for health affected due to unhygienic conditions caused by leakage © medical expenses if accident happens
5. Letter also to state - will claim damages on a daily rate until the leak is rectified
6. State that your next course of action is to court
7. Insert yr hp no for contact purposes.

Send the letters weekly for 3 weeks, every subsequent letter labelled '1st reminder' '2nd reminder' .. etc

The 3rd / last letter to print in red ink, trust me it seems to make those who read a red-inked letter heart's to beat faster.

Cc letter to management office weekly too & your SPA lawyer.

At end of 3rd week, if owner does not contact you, ask lawyer to issue legal letter.

Btw, if the leak is from pipe/ceiling ?

If pipe leakage, state in yr letter plumber repairs costs rm2,000 & you will proceed with the plumber if he doesn't act & your letter will claim it from him. That will scare him. You may proceed with repairs on your own after the 3rd letter.

If it is ceiling leakage, there is no choice but to wait for him to respond.

michaellee
post Mar 14 2011, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,094 posts

QUOTE(PhotoGlebe @ Mar 14 2011, 03:01 PM)
Since the management want you to liaise with your up-stair unit directly, you can request the management to provide you the contact of the unit.
Get the contact and call the person directly with polite, things should be resolved faster.
This is the best solution. About 80-90% of the problem units are resolved this way. Unfortunately for the stubborn 10-20%, they are quite nasty.

I have faced an owner before who delayed me for a good 6 months. I was pissed off. It is always esok lusa. I decided to break the rules and force myself into her unit (I know I could have gotten into trouble but never mind that fact) and then I realise all along she has a massive piping problems which she is not willing to spend money to fix. I have issue a letter of demand from my lawyer asking for compensation and further compensation if she does not rectify the matter within 28 days. It was settled quite quickly from there. Unfortunately there are those buggers around who are out to give trouble.

Added on March 14, 2011, 3:20 pm
QUOTE(dripinrain @ Mar 14 2011, 03:12 PM)

2. Send a.r. registered letter to owner address, leave copy of letter at unit above (label 'personal delivery')
3. Letter content to state - (a) to repair leakage (b) your property damaged © health hazard
4. Letter to state - will claim (a) damages to property (b) doctor's bill for health affected due to unhygienic conditions caused by leakage © medical expenses if accident happens
5. Letter also to state - will claim damages on a daily rate until the leak is rectified

Send the letters weekly for 3 weeks, every subsequent letter labelled '1st reminder' '2nd reminder' .. etc

The 3rd / last letter to print in red ink, trust me it seems to make those who read a red-inked letter heart's to beat faster.

At end of 3rd week, if owner does not contact you, ask lawyer to issue legal letter.

If pipe leakage, state in yr letter plumber repairs costs rm2,000 & you will proceed with the plumber if he doesn't act & your letter will claim it from him. That will scare him. You may proceed with repairs on your own after the 3rd letter.

Very detail. Good post. smile.gif

This post has been edited by michaellee: Mar 14 2011, 03:20 PM
TS@Adele
post Mar 14 2011, 03:29 PM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(dripinrain @ Mar 14 2011, 03:12 PM)

Hi, many thanks for your detailed advise! Is it from your own experience? Just to clarify, means I write my own letter. Send 3 copies, during the course of 3 weeks. and 3 copies CC to management office and lawyer, correct?

I asked a contractor to come and see the leakage last week. He said he needs to see the top unit, but i told him unfortunately upstairs not cooperating. The contractor told me it's best to view and properly fix it once and for all. He told me can finish within a week as long as upstairs cooperate.

I really don't understand people nowadays? I don't mind sharing cost.. so..why cooperate also cannot?

michaellee: Whoa.. so does she know you broke into her unit? But how did u do that? Break the lock..? Lucky she didn't make noise about that

This post has been edited by @Adele: Mar 14 2011, 03:34 PM
michaellee
post Mar 14 2011, 03:35 PM

Regular
1,094 posts

QUOTE(@Adele @ Mar 14 2011, 03:29 PM)
Hi, many thanks for your detailed advise! Is it from your own experience? Just to clarify, means I write my own letter. Send 3 copies, during the course of 3 weeks. and 3 copies CC to management office and lawyer, correct?

I asked a contractor to come and see the leakage last week. He said he needs to see the top unit, but i told him unfortunately upstairs not cooperating. The contractor told me it's best to view and properly fix it once and for all. He told me can finish within a week as long as upstairs cooperate.

I really don't understand people nowadays? I don't mind sharing cost.. so..why cooperate also cannot?

michaellee: Whoa.. so does she know you broke into her unit? But how did u do that? Break the lock..? Lucky she didn't make noise about that
I knock on her door and she opened it and I went in. She just stared blankly. And I told her for lying to me about everything, I will not pay for anything anymore.
dripinrain
post Mar 14 2011, 03:54 PM

Getting Started
265 posts

Adele :
Nope, my neighbour upstairs paid for leakage, 2x fast response smile.gif U have not so good luck haha..
Yes, every week send letters to all parties.

Michaelee, ur da man !

edit : oh yes, state in yr letter u willing to share costs, just to expedite things ..

This post has been edited by dripinrain: Mar 14 2011, 03:55 PM
TS@Adele
post Mar 14 2011, 07:29 PM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(dripinrain @ Mar 14 2011, 03:54 PM)
Adele :
Nope, my neighbour upstairs paid for leakage, 2x fast response smile.gif U have not so good luck haha..
Yes, every week send letters to all parties.

Michaelee, ur da man !

edit : oh yes, state in yr letter u willing to share costs, just to expedite things ..
Thank you all for your advise. I will try the above methods. Thank you!!
hakon
post Mar 14 2011, 09:56 PM

Casual
306 posts

personally, i would rather go bug the condo management until they do something about it... check your condo house rules and most likely you will find that the management has some responsibility... go bug the management and bug the management and bug the management until they do something...
TS@Adele
post Mar 17 2011, 11:23 AM

Enthusiast
938 posts

Can anyone recommend me a good contractor to check on the leaking?

Appreciate if you have personal experience with the contractor i.e. fixed your leaking before and done a good job.

Thanks

kinwawa
post Mar 17 2011, 02:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,162 posts

i had the same problem just recently.....you must get the owner upstairs to repair it...i enquired the management office last time...they say if they dun repair...they will need to make a report...
it's very troublesome....coz if upstairs not cooperating.....need to wait for them to take action....time consuming....

best is to get the owner's phone number fr management company and liaise with them directly
alhs76
post Mar 18 2011, 12:37 PM

Casual
480 posts

QUOTE(@Adele @ Mar 14 2011, 11:03 AM)
Hi.. thanks for the advise. My agent friend demanded the same thing.

May I know though, did the owner actually fix it?
in my friend's case, owner finally got contractor to come after getting LOD ... notworthy.gif
TS@Adele
post Mar 18 2011, 02:14 PM

Enthusiast
938 posts

QUOTE(alhs76 @ Mar 18 2011, 12:37 PM)
in my friend's case, owner finally got contractor to come after getting LOD ...  notworthy.gif
lucky lucky!

OK I have left several notes to the person living upstairs, some through the main door, one i put at the grill. So far, he/she did not reply at all.

Added on March 29, 2011, 1:30 pmOk guys! Would like to update.

I finally got hold of the person upstairs. However, the owner said never receive the notes from me, or from management. The management told me he personally delivered the notice.

Anyway, don't know who's right who's wrong la. But bringing contractor to view.

Anybody please can recommend me good contractor for plumbing/toilet works?

This post has been edited by @Adele: Mar 29 2011, 01:30 PM
SA6YEuro
post Jun 6 2011, 08:09 PM

36 posts

Hi guys, good thread.

I got myself this problem. Bathroom ceiling is leaking for a while and I have continuously complained to the management office. They have informed the owner and now they tell me that I have to share the cost of repairing the ceiling.

Is this legal ah? Leaking from his unit but I have to pay for it!! Anyone can advise?

Added on June 7, 2011, 10:35 pmAny body can share their experience?

This post has been edited by SA6YEuro: Jun 7 2011, 10:36 PM
kelvyn
post Jun 21 2011, 03:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,167 posts

QUOTE(SA6YEuro @ Jun 6 2011, 09:09 PM)
Hi guys, good thread.

I got myself this problem. Bathroom ceiling is leaking for a while and I have continuously complained to the management office. They have informed the owner and now they tell me that I have to share the cost of repairing the ceiling.

Is this legal ah? Leaking from his unit but I have to pay for it!! Anyone can advise?

Added on June 7, 2011, 10:35 pmAny body can share their experience?
The owner of the upstairs unit is trying to pull a fast one on you. Rightfully, he should be the one that pay for the cost of rectification work. However, it is you that is suffering if the repair is not done. It is also to your advantage to get the repair done as soon as possible.
So, as a compromise, you could offer to help pay a portion of the cost. It is a win win situation for both parties.
kittlsk
post Apr 14 2012, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

In Malaysia, there's no law that protects owners for this kind of situation. You can try to consult a lawyer for this but most of them would ask you to settle the problem yourself rather than paying the expensive lawyer fees.

Imagine if your own unit leaks and the lower unit suffers, would you pay for the fix? It's already very good that if you can get your upper unit to cooperate and let you do the fix inside their house, don't even hope they will pay or share the cost with you.
jeremy_yee
post Apr 14 2012, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

I have face this problem when I was staying in apartment. Upstairs leaks and my house also leaks.

My advise - be nice and try to solve the leaking issue by looking for contractor and share the cost. This is the fastest way to settle issue.

If upstairs guy is nasty you are in real bad luck, then either fixed it at your own cost, or see them in court.

Good luck!
areankim
post Jun 29 2012, 11:07 AM

"Live Life Cool"
3,682 posts

anyone have the sample letter? Wnan make it look profesional enough.
peri peri
post Jul 17 2012, 02:00 PM

10k nonsense talkative club
All Stars
11,924 posts

better puch it back to management to liaise with developer as the water proofing works is normally covered with 10 years warranty. wats the point wasting for repair as it is still under warrant?
darylding2000
post Nov 16 2012, 02:16 PM

25 posts

does any 1 tried b4 ask lawyer to issue legal letter.
need to know how much?
if upper owner still ignore, will bring into court.

Does any1 came across tis procedure?
Need to know how much i need to folk out to hire a lawyer.

If win case, would i able to claim back all my expenses including lawyer/court fees?

my case is my masterbedroom toilet leaking from upper unit.
already ask management to alert her the issue.
but no feedback almost 2weeks.

i really fedup that old lady owner (upper unit).

Always like to move the furniture at night, knocking the floor, hanging clothes out the balcony that make water dripping, pouring water through balcony.

Whenever i take a puff at my balcony, she would talk to her maid tis n tat to hav my attention. So when ever i puff at my balcony, i try avoiding going in her unit.
But am i wrong smoking at my own unit?

I wont share the expenses to fix. Rather pay higher a bit to hire a lawyer if got confidence to win court. Still got time to play with her.

user posted image

user posted image
Right now put a container up my plaster ceiling, 3-4 day need to throw the water.

tatsean
post Apr 13 2013, 05:55 PM

1 posts

I am facing the same issue as what is shown in the photos from darylding2000. :-(. I get to the management and they said they have sent the warning letter to the owner upstairs, but i just doubt it.
fuku Ryu
post Jul 29 2013, 10:48 PM

Casual
403 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Nov 16 2012, 02:16 PM)
need to know how much?

If win case, would i able to claim back all my expenses including lawyer/court fees?

Always like to move the furniture at night, knocking the floor, hanging clothes out the balcony that make water dripping, pouring water through balcony.

Whenever i take a puff at my balcony, she would talk to her maid tis n tat to hav my attention. So when ever i puff at my balcony, i try avoiding going in her unit.

I wont share the expenses to fix. Rather pay higher a bit to hire a lawyer if got confidence to win court. Still got time to play with her.
user posted image

user posted image
Right now put a container up my plaster ceiling, 3-4 day need to throw the water.
I have the exactly same problem as per the photos taken. it has drag for more than 2 years...now i'm really piss off! my case is the worst case...the 1st phone conversation with the old b**** oledi not cooperative at all.
Xccess
post Oct 12 2014, 03:27 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Nov 16 2012, 02:16 PM)
need to know how much?

user posted image

user posted image
Bro, sorry to dig up a old thread. Did you manage to solve your problem? I'm in the exact same situation as you, water leaking beside pipe from concrete. 2 days ago neighbor did wet washing and my container over flow, resulting to plaster ceiling damage.

Just want to check how much is the repair and does it involve a lot of work?

aizat87
post Oct 12 2014, 04:02 PM

49 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 12 2014, 03:27 PM)
Bro, sorry to dig up a old thread. Did you manage to solve your problem? I'm in the exact same situation as you, water leaking beside pipe from concrete. 2 days ago neighbor did wet washing and my container over flow, resulting to plaster ceiling damage.

Happened to me earlier this year. Bought a condo with known leaking problem. Then I used that no bring down the house price to ~20K below market price.
Lucky for me the owner upstairs cooperate with me.
Apparently there are few ways to repair the leaking
Mine used the "fluid cement" solution which they basically flooded the toilet upstairs with this whitish milky solution which then sealed the leaking.
Works well.
No leaking since then.
Total cost RM 4.5K, i paid 2.5K.
LTG
post Oct 12 2014, 04:31 PM

Regular
1,780 posts

i stay in top floor ,if any leaking issue , management will handle it
baibear
post Oct 12 2014, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(aizat87 @ Oct 12 2014, 04:02 PM)
Happened to me earlier this year. Bought a condo with known leaking problem. Then I used that no bring down the house price to ~20K below market price.
Mine used the "fluid cement" solution which they basically flooded the toilet upstairs with this whitish milky solution which then sealed the leaking.
Works well.
No leaking since then.
mind sharing the brand and type of 'fluid cement' and where to get it ? or even the name of the contractor who did it for you. thanks.
lucky8six
post Oct 12 2014, 05:23 PM

47 posts

Works well.
No leaking since then.
The white liquid fluid is actually a type of waterproofing chemical that could seep between tiles floor joint (cement) and create a film formation and crystallization inside the porous concrete. This chemical waterproofing is very expensive actually. The bigger size of your toilet slab, the more liquid chemical waterproofing got to pour, and the more cost it will be.

lucky8six
post Oct 12 2014, 05:50 PM

47 posts

There are few methods to resolve. Use fast setting hydraulic cement to patch it up sand inject it around the downpipe (for your situation). However sometimes it depending your concrete structure profile. The water probably would find new place to leak (if there are many honey combs in your concrete structure). There is a possible it will stop the leaking forever if the concrete structure profile is good and the leaking is very minimum.

Another method most common waterproofing contractor solve is using Pressure Grout PU chemical waterproofing surround the downpipe treatment. This pressure grout PU chemical once in tact with the water inside the concrete will instantly form a PU foam thus will stop the leaking in that areas but again sometimes it depending your concrete profile structure. This method required expertise to do and able to analyze the situation. Just be careful because there are many amateur contractor waterproofing out there do this pressure grout chemical and runaway after accidentally hit the piping or when the leaking comes back. biggrin.gif

Dogman
post Oct 12 2014, 05:59 PM

Getting Started
223 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 12 2014, 05:50 PM)
There are few methods to resolve. Use fast setting hydraulic cement to patch it up sand inject it around the downpipe (for your situation). However sometimes it depending your concrete structure profile. The water probably would find new place to leak (if there are many honey combs in your concrete structure). There is a possible it will stop the leaking forever if the concrete structure profile is good and the leaking is very minimum.

Another method most common waterproofing contractor solve is using Pressure Grout PU chemical waterproofing surround the downpipe treatment. This pressure grout PU chemical once in tact with the water inside the concrete will instantly form a PU foam thus will stop the leaking in that areas but again sometimes it depending your concrete profile structure. This method required expertise to do and able to analyze the situation. Just be careful because there are many amateur contractor waterproofing out there do this pressure grout chemical and runaway after accidentally hit the piping or when the leaking comes back.  biggrin.gif
thanks for he clarification, any idea what is the brand of these chemicals called ?

In the event where the leakage is coming from the pipes joint, is there any method or chemical that we could pour from the upper floor trap or WC so that it can flow through the bottom pipes to seal up the joint leakage ?
Xccess
post Oct 12 2014, 08:08 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

Works well.
No leaking since then.
Hmm...interesting, thanks for sharing. Will check with my contractor. My neighbor is willing to resolve this as I told him I will bear half the cost, he is moving out in December so we will settle this before Christmas.

Care to share the number of your contractor that did it for you?

Xccess
post Oct 12 2014, 08:13 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 12 2014, 05:50 PM)

Another method most common waterproofing contractor solve is using Pressure Grout PU chemical waterproofing surround the downpipe treatment. This pressure grout PU chemical once in tact with the water inside the concrete will instantly form a PU foam thus will stop the leaking in that areas but again sometimes it depending your concrete profile structure. This method required expertise to do and able to analyze the situation. Just be careful because there are many amateur contractor waterproofing out there do this pressure grout chemical and runaway after accidentally hit the piping or when the leaking comes back.  biggrin.gif
Thanks. I need a permanent solution, my contractor suggested hacking and redo waterproofing. Neighbor said will find his own contractor then we do a price comparison. If injection can solve this issue, I don't mind giving a try but where to get the real expert and what is the cost?

lucky8six
post Oct 12 2014, 11:09 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(Dogman @ Oct 12 2014, 05:59 PM)
thanks for he clarification, any idea what is the brand of these chemicals called ?

In the event where the leakage is coming from the pipes joint, is there any method or chemical that we could pour from the upper floor trap or WC so that it can flow through the bottom pipes to seal up the joint leakage ?
If its a very minimal leakage, then you can only use the chemical hydraulic fast setting cement to patch it around the pipes joint areas. Its called waterplug.

There is no chemical you can pour at the upper floor trap and let it flow inside the pipe and seal up the joint leakage because it is not concrete.

Regarding the white chemical waterproofing that form a crytallization by ponding the toilet floor slab for minimum 3 hours, the white chemical waterproofing will react with concrete properties (cement lime and moisture) to form a crystallization thus filled up all the pores and capillary void inside the concrete.

water leaking is very troublesome and method to repair is very subjective to the situation.

Jliew168
post Oct 12 2014, 11:26 PM

On my way
600 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 12 2014, 08:08 PM)
Hmm...interesting, thanks for sharing. Will check with my contractor. My neighbor is willing to resolve this as I told him I will bear half the cost, he is moving out in December so we will settle this before Christmas.

Care to share the number of your contractor that did it for you?
U r good that willing bear half cost. For me if my upstairs neightbourhood not do I just will block his toilet piping from downstairs and let the water overflow back to his unit. This what my agent told me but luckily my upstairs neighbour quick response to my complaine
Dogman
post Oct 12 2014, 11:28 PM

Getting Started
223 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 12 2014, 11:09 PM)
If its a very minimal leakage, then you can only use the chemical hydraulic fast setting cement to patch it around the pipes joint areas. Its called waterplug.

There is no chemical you can pour at the upper floor trap and let it flow inside the pipe and seal up the joint leakage because it is not concrete.

Regarding the white chemical waterproofing that form a crytallization by ponding the toilet floor slab for minimum 3 hours, the white chemical waterproofing will react with concrete properties (cement lime and moisture) to form a crystallization thus filled up all the pores and capillary void inside the concrete.

water leaking is very troublesome and method to repair is very subjective to the situation.
thanks for the professional advise.
lucky8six
post Oct 13 2014, 12:23 AM

47 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 12 2014, 08:13 PM)
Thanks. I need a permanent solution, my contractor suggested hacking and redo waterproofing. Neighbor said will find his own contractor then we do a price comparison. If injection can solve this issue, I don't mind giving a try but where to get the real expert and what is the cost?
Hmm.. my advice there is no need to hack the whole floor slab toilet and redo waterproofing if your leaking is exactly like the picture you shown. That's a minor leaking only.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The above picture is much serious than your situation and the PU grout done the job. To be honest, the real expert is actually by the skill workers especially when it comes to waterproofing matter. They are the one hands on applying the waterproofing, feel it and repair it using their experiences. The contractor is just monitoring and supervising it and make the decision call.

There are two contract foreigners i know the best in doing PU grouting work. They been doing PU grouting repair at Klang Valley projects for the last 6 years. Monday to Saturday from 9am to 8pm everyday for the past 6 years. What kind of worse case leaking scenario and weird kind of leaking scenario they had already gone through before. They don't do other works except repair water leaking and PU grouting works. Been living in malaysia for the past 6 years, they know almost all klang valley road and can speak malay language like any malaysian.

However due to the fact they are still contract workers, they are only available night time during weekdays or sunday time. haha!

Their minimum cost to mobilize work is RM800.00 at klang valley areas and judging by your situation. RM800 is enough i guess.

If you interested, i can help arrange for him to inspect your house first.
Xccess
post Oct 13 2014, 10:27 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 13 2014, 12:23 AM)
Hmm.. my advice there is no need to hack the whole floor slab toilet and redo waterproofing if your leaking is exactly like the picture you shown. That's a minor leaking only.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The above picture is much serious than your situation and the PU grout done the job. To be honest, the real expert is actually by the skill workers especially when it comes to waterproofing matter. They are the one hands on applying the waterproofing, feel it and repair it using their experiences. The contractor is just monitoring and supervising it and make the decision call.

There are two contract foreigners i know the best in doing PU grouting work. They been doing PU grouting repair at Klang Valley projects for the last 6 years. Monday to Saturday from 9am to 8pm everyday for the past 6 years. What kind of worse case leaking scenario and weird kind of leaking scenario they had already gone through before. They don't do other works except repair water leaking and PU grouting works. Been living in malaysia for the past 6 years, they know almost all klang valley road and can speak malay language like any malaysian.

However due to the fact they are still contract workers, they are only available night time during weekdays or sunday time. haha!

Their minimum cost to mobilize work is RM800.00 at klang valley areas and judging by your situation. RM800 is enough i guess.

Where are they from? RM800.00 minimum for repair? Mine is exactly the same situation as the photos posted by darylding2000. Do they need to access upstairs for repair? As can see in your photos, they are working in the affected unit itself.

This post has been edited by Xccess: Oct 13 2014, 10:31 AM
Xccess
post Oct 14 2014, 02:20 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

Can Moderator please shift this to Renovation category?
LDP
post Oct 14 2014, 03:29 PM

Casual
335 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 13 2014, 12:23 AM)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Can you give me their contact no as I am also facing the same problem ? Thanks.
lucky8six
post Oct 14 2014, 05:19 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 13 2014, 10:27 AM)
Where are they from? RM800.00 minimum for repair? Mine is exactly the same situation as the photos posted by darylding2000. Do they need to access upstairs for repair? As can see in your photos, they are working in the affected unit itself.
There are a few methods to repair water leaking in the toilet slab.

You can repair from the unit above slab but usually those repair method on top is very expensive and costly:

(1. hack everything including tiles and waterproofing till the base of the concrete before laying new fresh waterproofing coating/membrane/cementitious, new screed, new tiles)

(2. Lay the white chemical wateproofing and let it pond the whole toilet slab floor for at least 3 hours time)

**You have to be careful as some contractor who had not much knowledge propose to use transparent chemical on top of the floor slab. Its actually a water repellent and its a short term solution only because eventually the effect will wear off (example the rainwater repellent used at car windscreen, it eventually wear off after a period of time)

Example for your case Xccess,

1.) repair from below using PU chemical injection is good enough to solve your problem.

2.) the traditional way of putting a tray and direct the water to some other place.

Regarding the foreigner, its from bangladesh, there are local ppl who could do it too but none of them could match these bangladesh skill and experiences. Imagine a worker do nothing except only do PU grouting work and repair the water leaking in concrete from monday to saturday (morning till late evening) for the past 6 years.

Hmm... i guess i will share more informations and repair method to all LYN here by opening a new discussion topic at renovation section? I will share my experience and some detail drawing of the waterproofing in the toilet and roof for some sharing and discussion. As i know many had bad experiences with waterproofing contractor service their house and runaway etc.

My experience is from one of the manufacturing company chemical construction company specializing in waterproofing and concrete repairs products. I am not those expert guy but i believe i understand waterproofing concept how it works and the potential problems better than average people who is not in this industry. =)

Xccess
post Oct 14 2014, 06:13 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 14 2014, 05:19 PM)
There are a few methods to repair water leaking in the toilet slab.

You can repair from the unit above slab but usually those repair method on top is very expensive and costly:

(1. hack everything including tiles and waterproofing till the base of the concrete before laying new fresh waterproofing coating/membrane/cementitious, new screed, new tiles)

(2. Lay the white chemical wateproofing and let it pond the whole toilet slab floor for at least 3 hours time)

**You have to be careful as some contractor who had not much knowledge propose to use transparent chemical on top of the floor slab. Its actually a water repellent and its a short term solution only because eventually the effect will wear off (example the rainwater repellent used at car windscreen, it eventually wear off after a period of time)
Example for your case Xccess,

1.) repair from below using PU chemical injection is good enough to solve your problem.

2.) the traditional way of putting a tray and direct the water to some other place.

Regarding the foreigner, its from bangladesh, there are local ppl who could do it too but none of them could match these bangladesh skill and experiences. Imagine a worker do nothing except only do PU grouting work and repair the water leaking in concrete from monday to saturday (morning till late evening) for the past 6 years.

Hmm... i guess i will share more informations and repair method to all LYN here by opening a new discussion topic at renovation section? I will share my experience and some detail drawing of the waterproofing in the toilet and roof for some sharing and discussion. As i know many had bad experiences with waterproofing contractor service their house and runaway etc.

My experience is from one of the manufacturing company chemical construction company specializing in waterproofing and concrete repairs products. I am not those expert guy but i believe i understand waterproofing concept how it works and the potential problems better than average people who is not in this industry. =)
Bro, please start a new thread in Reno forum. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, how do I go about getting the service of those worker for repair? Do they need to remove my plaster ceiling? My man hole is directly below the leaking concrete.

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

lucky8six
post Oct 14 2014, 06:45 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 14 2014, 06:13 PM)
Bro, please start a new thread in Reno forum. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, how do I go about getting the service of those worker for repair? Do they need to remove my plaster ceiling? My man hole is directly below the leaking concrete.

notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
Haha. Okay. I will start with the basic one topic tonight at the renovation section and share the contact there. I think not appropriate to show it in this property discussion section.

Yes, they will need to remove the plaster ceiling to check the concrete leaking.
Was it from the concrete crack leaking?
or honey comb concrete leaking?
or from the conduit electric pipe leaking?
or downpipe leaking?
or probably the leaking is due to the piping? (not from concrete)

You are very lucky If the leaking is directly below the manhole. then i don't think they will have to cut the plaster ceiling as long their hand can reach the leaking spot and repair it. You save some cost from plaster ceiling repair.

I will try my best to share my knowledge. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(LDP @ Oct 14 2014, 03:29 PM)
Can you give me their contact no as I am also facing the same problem ? Thanks.
Hi LDP, i will share the contact at the new topic renovation section later late night.
Xccess
post Oct 14 2014, 08:41 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 14 2014, 06:45 PM)
Haha. Okay. I will start with the basic one topic tonight at the renovation section and share the contact there. I think not appropriate to show it in this property discussion section.

Yes, they will need to remove the plaster ceiling to check the concrete leaking.
Was it from the concrete crack leaking?
or honey comb concrete leaking?
or from the conduit electric pipe leaking?
or downpipe leaking?
or probably the leaking is due to the piping? (not from concrete)

You are very lucky If the leaking is directly below the manhole. then i don't think they will have to cut the plaster ceiling as long their hand can reach the leaking spot and repair it. You save some cost from plaster ceiling repair.

I will try my best to share my knowledge.  biggrin.gif
Hi LDP, i will share the contact at the new topic renovation section later late night.
Bro, take a look at page 2, the photo posted by darylding2000 with red arrow pointing to the leaking at the concrete. Mine is exactly the same, if I were to post mine, they look exactly alike.

I just consulted my contractor regarding PU injection, he said the leak may find another way around and this solution is only temporary, best is to hack, waterproof and retile. What's your advice?

This post has been edited by Xccess: Oct 14 2014, 08:42 PM
topearn
post Oct 14 2014, 09:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,459 posts

QUOTE(kittlsk @ Apr 14 2012, 02:39 PM)
In Malaysia, there's no law that protects owners for this kind of situation.  You can try to consult a lawyer for this but most of them would ask you to settle the problem yourself rather than paying the expensive lawyer fees.

Imagine if your own unit leaks and the lower unit suffers, would you pay for the fix?  It's already very good that if you can get your upper unit to cooperate and let you do the fix inside their house, don't even hope they will pay or share the cost with you.

If the leak not due to my fault (e.g. I did not do any renovation), then it's the fault of the developer who did not do a good job and thus they are liable to fix and bear the cost. But if leak is due to my renovation (e.g. my contractor did not do a proper water-proof of the floor), then I'm liable to pay.

lucky8six
post Oct 15 2014, 03:16 AM

47 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 14 2014, 08:41 PM)
Bro, take a look at page 2, the photo posted by darylding2000 with red arrow pointing to the leaking at the concrete. Mine is exactly the same, if I were to post mine, they look exactly alike.

I just consulted my contractor regarding PU injection, he said the leak may find another way around and this solution is only temporary, best is to hack, waterproof and retile. What's your advice?
Out of all method repair, the best method to repair the water leaking is by hack everything till the base and redo new waterproofing, new screed, new tiles. This is the best method and also the most costly of all. This repair cost definitely will sum up to few thousands above depending your size and quality of tiles.

If money is never an issue to you, honestly this is the best method repair.

Its true that sometime the water maybe could find a different spot to leak after PU injection depending the concrete structure profiles. There is also maybe that it will not leak again in the future.

I will say that 95% chance it won't leak again for many years if using the two foreigners i recommended due to their 6 years experience and analysis observation of the concrete slab. Should you have further doubt, do a full ponding test in your toilet slab after finish PU injection and let it pond for 6 hours to determine whether does it still leak or not. biggrin.gif

Attached Image

If the ponding test pass, I guess you won't wont have to worry much again. This is the standard practice carry out by consultant in new construction property to get approval.

Judging the picture of the leaking you pointed out, its almost definite it won't leak back because the leaking is only one spot and its at the downpipe area only.

Another question i like to share is there is also a possible the toilet slab leaking again even after the contractor hack everything and redo everything new after few months or few years too.

The same reason new property that just completed and the 1st owner is so frustrated got leaking here and there after staying few months and complaints to the management to take action. That is when the warranty defects by the developer kick in. haha

Xccess
post Oct 16 2014, 05:19 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 15 2014, 03:16 AM)
Out of all method repair, the best method to repair the water leaking is by hack everything till the base and redo new waterproofing, new screed, new tiles. This is the best method and also the most costly of all. This repair cost definitely will sum up to few thousands above depending your size and quality of tiles.

If money is never an issue to you, honestly this is the best method repair.

Its true that sometime the water maybe could find a different spot to leak after PU injection depending the concrete structure profiles. There is also maybe that it will not leak again in the future.

I will say that 95% chance it won't leak again for many years if using the two foreigners i recommended due to their 6 years experience and analysis observation of the concrete slab. Should you have further doubt, do a full ponding test in your toilet slab after finish PU injection and let it pond for 6 hours to determine whether does it still leak or not.  biggrin.gif

Attached Image

If the ponding test pass, I guess you won't wont have to worry much again. This is the standard practice carry out by consultant in new construction property to get approval.

Judging the picture of the leaking you pointed out, its almost definite it won't leak back because the leaking is only one spot and its at the downpipe area only.
Another question i like to share is there is also a possible the toilet slab leaking again even after the contractor hack everything and redo everything new after few months or few years too.

The same reason new property that just completed and the 1st owner is so frustrated got leaking here and there after staying few months and complaints to the management to take action. That is when the warranty defects by the developer kick in. haha
Very well explained. Have you start the new thread in reno section? How to get your guys to do PU injection? Base on my situation how much you think it will cost?

darylding2000
post Oct 17 2014, 05:06 PM

25 posts

my problems solved. after the lady cannot tahan me. Nearly issue her my lawyer warning letter which cost me rm150-200. Luckily i save tat.
Xccess
post Oct 17 2014, 06:34 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Oct 17 2014, 05:06 PM)
my problems solved. after the lady cannot tahan me. Nearly issue her my lawyer warning letter which cost me rm150-200. Luckily i save tat.
How you solve the leaking? Redo entire waterproofing? Glad yours is settled, congrats. May I also know how many days it takes to repair?

darylding2000
post Oct 17 2014, 06:44 PM

25 posts

upstairs owner juz do very simple cement at the drain hole by others contractor. I got knw bcoz i got my own contractor to check the leaking at upstair unit to get the quotation for the owner.
lucky8six
post Oct 18 2014, 01:41 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 16 2014, 05:19 PM)
Very well explained. Have you start the new thread in reno section? How to get your guys to do PU injection? Base on my situation how much you think it will cost?
I already open a new thread at renovation session there but its gone. I guess discuss it here is good enough. I think RM400 is enough when i let them see, they are flexible since there are contract labors.

But there is another simple way traditional way of solving it which is create a drainage direct it away. That's the simplest way to solve with minimum cost only. No need to spend so much money in it. Not sure if your contractor willing to do it for you.

Since your case is very minimum, there is no need to hack everything and redo. Too costly for that minimum leaking.

Call mr wan @ 016 336 1104 (tell him you are from lowyat)

This post has been edited by lucky8six: Oct 18 2014, 01:54 PM
Xccess
post Oct 18 2014, 04:42 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 18 2014, 01:41 PM)
I already open a new thread at renovation session there but its gone. I guess discuss it here is good enough. I think RM400 is enough when i let them see, they are flexible since there are contract labors.

But there is another simple way traditional way of solving it which is create a drainage direct it away. That's the simplest way to solve with minimum cost only. No need to spend so much money in it. Not sure if your contractor willing to do it for you.

Since your case is very minimum, there is no need to hack everything and redo. Too costly for that minimum leaking.

Creating drainage I can DIY with pvc tubing and container but it's unsightly. I want to resolve it with PU injection, will contact Mr. Wan next week. Thanks Bro!

Xccess
post Oct 18 2014, 04:53 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,616 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Oct 17 2014, 06:44 PM)
upstairs owner juz do very simple cement at the drain hole by others contractor. I got knw bcoz i got my own contractor to check the leaking at upstair unit to get the quotation for the owner.
I guess they did a small area waterproofing around the floor trap. Glad your leaking is resolved, I will get mine settle hopefully within next month. Will go for PU injection first.

baibear
post Nov 19 2014, 08:02 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 18 2014, 01:41 PM)

has anyone came across any good metal roof coating contractor around KV with reasonable price ? I have requested a few quote but the price range from RM1.60psf to RM4psf, not sure how to differentiate.
syirbiznatch
post Nov 19 2014, 08:27 PM

On my way
547 posts

Wow. This is like a neighbor from hell. Even management don't want to be cooperative. sigh
Cyberyh
post Nov 30 2014, 10:58 PM

7 posts

I need help. The unit above me is leaking to my unit. I inform the management and went to the above unit to inform the owner. The owner was nice, they told me to make my complaint and will deal with management, after 2 weeks, management office claim they have call but owner refuse to pick up. Than I call myself and owner did meet me and check my unit and I went to their unit too. After that, the owner send an email to me and management say they give us 15days to get contractor to settle the leak and clarify the management never contact them at all. But the management send their email to many other resident and theirHQand discuss the leakage with other residents. Words spread. After 9days of waiting with 2 reminder email from that owner, they send a harsh mail askingmanagemennt why publicly share her unit problem and when arrange contractor over. The management ignore their email and later send a separate mail to say contractor is waiting for them to open up their unit doors let contractor inspect and demand they do not delay. The owner got angry because they told my wife that they have do their part but the news speculated.they want a fair reply from management or at least apology or they will ignore everyone else including me(because out of anger I scolded them for delay). Cn I go to COB or take legal action? Can I go to committee to force them open up the door or report police? I cannot talk to them anymore because after scolding them, they block my phone. Management say none of their business and they have inform already. Only 5 days left. Can I sue them? And I ask them to reprint for me when we were in good term, they say they can only repair the leak. Can I reprint and charge them?

This post has been edited by Cyberyh: Nov 30 2014, 11:01 PM
Jliew168
post Nov 30 2014, 11:51 PM

On my way
600 posts

QUOTE(Cyberyh @ Nov 30 2014, 10:58 PM)
I need help. The unit above me is leaking to my unit. I inform the management and went to the above unit to inform the owner. The owner was nice, they told me to make my complaint and will deal with management, after 2 weeks, management office claim they have call but owner refuse to pick up. Than I call myself and owner did meet me and check my unit and I went to their unit too. After that, the owner send an email to me and management say they give us 15days to get contractor to settle the leak and clarify the management never contact them at all. But the management send their email to many other resident and theirHQand discuss the leakage with other residents. Words spread. After 9days of waiting with 2 reminder email from that owner, they send a harsh mail askingmanagemennt why publicly share her unit problem and when arrange contractor over. The management ignore their email and later send a separate mail to say contractor is waiting for them to open up their unit doors let contractor inspect and demand they do not delay. The owner got angry because they told my wife that they have do their part but the news speculated.they want a fair reply from management or at least apology or they will ignore everyone else including me(because out of anger I scolded them for delay). Cn I go to COB or take legal action? Can I go to committee to force them open up the door or report police? I cannot talk to them anymore because after scolding them, they block my phone. Management say none of their business and they have inform already. Only 5 days left. Can I sue them? And I ask them to reprint for me when we were in good term, they say they can only repair the leak. Can I reprint and charge them?
So did owner do his part rectify the leaking anot? If not send reminder or talk nicely with them

If they are nasty then u also can be nasty..just block the drainage pipe under your unit so that water overflow back to his unit when he using toilet. He will have no choice n compromise with u but that will be long term damage relation with your neighbour
Cyberyh
post Dec 1 2014, 06:47 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(Jliew168 @ Nov 30 2014, 11:51 PM)
So did owner do his part rectify the leaking anot? If not send reminder or talk nicely with them

If they are nasty then u also can be nasty..just block the drainage pipe under your unit so that water overflow back to his unit when he using toilet. He will have no choice n compromise with u but that will be long term damage relation with your neighbour
The owner did rectify, but after management office find its recommended contractor, and ask the owner to open up his door for the contractor to check, the owner refuse because while management look for contractor, they fed their mail and spread the leaking news to other residents. Now that owner is asking management to explain or apology and management refuse, and insist the owner to open up the door for checking. Can I just sue them or go COB?
Jliew168
post Dec 1 2014, 10:49 PM

On my way
600 posts

QUOTE(Cyberyh @ Dec 1 2014, 06:47 PM)
The owner did rectify, but after management office find its recommended contractor, and ask the owner to open up his door for the contractor to check, the owner refuse because while management look for contractor, they fed their mail and spread the leaking news to other residents. Now that owner is asking management to explain or apology and management refuse, and insist the owner to open up the door for checking. Can I just sue them or go COB?
Let it be ba if the owner rectify the leaking already. As long as your unit is ok already then don't bother him.
Not worth your time to argue unless the leaking problem haven't solve
Cyberyh
post Dec 2 2014, 06:19 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(Jliew168 @ Dec 1 2014, 10:49 PM)
Let it be ba if the owner rectify the leaking already. As long as your unit is ok already then don't bother him.
Not worth your time to argue unless the leaking problem haven't solve
Eee,...the owner rectify means go and find out the problem,but refuse tolet me or management go into their house to repair unless both me and management office ppl explain and apologize. Management office say they will send a complaint to COB and they say COB will give a legal letter and send people to force the owner to open up their door and repair. Is this workable? My neighbour say some owner very stubborn, but management office say COB is legal, like police.
Jliew168
post Dec 2 2014, 06:29 PM

On my way
600 posts

QUOTE(Cyberyh @ Dec 2 2014, 06:19 PM)
Eee,...the owner rectify means go and find out the problem,but refuse tolet me or management go into their house to repair unless both me and management office ppl explain and apologize. Management office say they will send a complaint to COB and they say COB will give a legal letter and send people to force the owner to open up their door and repair. Is this workable? My neighbour say some owner very stubborn, but management office say COB is legal, like police.
This might take so long if u go to COB..anyway up to u see whatever is best for u.

If I want to be nasty I can just simply block his piping that directly under your unit so that water can overflow back to his unit..then see who die first lo

This will be a very nasty way la

Ops the best way still solve problem peacefully and nego with neighbour yourself..if he die die like that then just block his piping lo and repair back after he rectify the leaking

Anyway I not sure this is legal anot tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Jliew168: Dec 2 2014, 06:33 PM
Cyberyh
post Dec 2 2014, 07:48 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(Jliew168 @ Dec 2 2014, 06:29 PM)
This might take so long if u go to COB..anyway up to u see whatever is best for u.

If I want to be nasty I can just simply block his piping that directly under your unit so that water can overflow back to his unit..then see who die first lo

This will be a very nasty way la

Ops the best way still solve problem peacefully and nego with neighbour yourself..if he die die like that then just block his piping lo and repair back after he rectify the leaking

Anyway I not sure this is legal anot  tongue.gif
biggrin.gif how to block? I need to get a plumber to do right?
But management office say COB will force them to settle and they are like police, will summon them. I was thinking, how about go find lawyer...
Jliew168
post Dec 2 2014, 09:02 PM

On my way
600 posts

QUOTE(Cyberyh @ Dec 2 2014, 07:48 PM)
biggrin.gif how to block? I need to get a plumber to do right?
But management office say COB will force them to settle and they are like police, will summon them. I was thinking, how about go find lawyer...
Ask plumber to do it..
if leaking very minor actually you can do a water profing in your ceiling ..

Can get a lawyer but not worthwhile cost n time ..if COB is free then ask the management to do it tongue.gif
Cyberyh
post Dec 2 2014, 09:24 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(Jliew168 @ Dec 2 2014, 09:02 PM)
Ask plumber to do it..
if leaking very minor actually you can do a water profing in your ceiling ..
Can get a lawyer but not worthwhile cost n time ..if COB is free then ask the management to do it  tongue.gif
Thank you very much for your kind advice. I will ask plumber about water proofing my ceiling while management write to cob. Acctually the management office clerk told me that the owner only want me and office manager apologies because my husband scold them and the management office manager spread to many people about their unit leak. But the management office manager refuse, so they ask me to complaint to cob. Small matter they want to complicate it.
Cyberyh
post Dec 4 2014, 07:11 PM

7 posts

I face problem again, COB say they can only warn the owner but cannot sue or summon them. Is this true?

Jliew168
post Dec 4 2014, 08:04 PM

On my way
600 posts

QUOTE(Cyberyh @ Dec 4 2014, 07:11 PM)
I face problem again, COB say they can only warn the owner but cannot sue or summon them. Is this true?
What best u can do now is ask plumber see whther can repair from your unit or block above piping from your unit tongue.gif
oxm8
post Dec 4 2014, 08:19 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

QUOTE(Cyberyh @ Dec 4 2014, 07:11 PM)
they dont have power
Cyberyh
post Dec 4 2014, 08:40 PM

7 posts

But the management office manager say COB can sue or summoned them. Or at least help to proceed to high court

ngam-channel
post Jan 26 2015, 07:07 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

do check your house rules and see how you can use that to settle with the owner upstairs...
stressful
post Feb 5 2016, 03:13 PM

5 posts

Can u give me Plumber contact no to block upper unit drainage pipe coz its been 4 yrs n water flowing from switch lighting n coming out from aircond PIPING in common bathroom n no lights in common 2 nd n 3 rd bedroom. Master bedroom LEAKING big making floor trap LEAKING. Ps help can't tahan MGMT dun bother coz COB ask me sue then take time n money.

This post has been edited by stressful: Feb 5 2016, 03:27 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
ckseong80
post Feb 5 2016, 03:15 PM

Casual
342 posts

This is normal for condos.
Most of the time the leaking party don't give a damn.
stressful
post Feb 8 2016, 12:06 AM

5 posts

Does anyone knows a gud Plumber tat knows how to block ck drainage pipe coz Its a hell unit UPSTAIRS. Ps help n its not t NORMAL to live in tis unhealthy environment n I' m getting stroke

stressful
post Feb 8 2016, 12:09 AM

5 posts

Does anyone knows a gud Plumber tat knows how to block ck drainage pipe coz Its a hell unit UPSTAIRS. Ps help n its not t NORMAL to live in tis unhealthy environment n I' m getting stroke

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
stressful
post Feb 8 2016, 10:06 AM

5 posts

[quote=Jliew168,Dec 1 2014, 12:51 AM]

If they are nasty then u also can be nasty..just block the drainage pipe under your unit so that water overflow back to his unit when he using toilet. He will have no choice n compromise with u but that will be long term damage relation with your neighbour.
Can u recommend for me the plumber tat can block the drainage pipe under my unit coz I can't find any Plumber who does tat n my email is kenjichew.cj@gmail.com. ps help coz fuve yrs ago n getting worse until water comes out from my switch n aircond
stressful
post Feb 12 2016, 02:26 AM

5 posts

[quote=ckseong80,Feb 5 2016, 04:15 PM]
This is normal for condos.
Most of the time the leaking party don't give a damn.
Do u know any Plumber tat know how to block drainage pipe from unit n temhe upper unit scratch my car twice n cny blast my unit with dirty stinkish water in purpose! Ps help n very nasty INDIAN ppl n self righteous n its been 5 yrs
EarringSGarden
post Feb 15 2016, 10:59 AM

9 posts

Need help. Ceiling of condo below mine got water stain .Management came to inspect & said tiles joint causes the leak. I have never renovated the bathroom and have stayed for 12 years. The management proposed to remove tiles and bathtub for waterproofing and redo.
The total cost is on me. I am shifting out by year end.
Can i claim any insurance or the developer? Anyway i could cut the cost? Thanks.

This post has been edited by EarringSGarden: Feb 15 2016, 11:04 AM
crescentwish
post Oct 17 2016, 04:13 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(LTG @ Oct 12 2014, 04:31 PM)
i stay in top floor ,if any leaking issue , management will handle it
I stay at the highest floor, now raining my ceiling leaking.
Already no more warranty from the developer.
Who responsible to repair?
Management or me?
SUSempatTan
post Oct 17 2016, 04:19 PM

Regular
1,678 posts

High class or low class place?
jorgsacul
post Oct 17 2016, 04:22 PM

Regular
1,377 posts

Just pump chemical n block ur neigbour down flow. But u should do it only after notifying them.
crescentwish
post Oct 17 2016, 04:25 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(empatTan @ Oct 17 2016, 04:19 PM)
High class or low class place?
Above average class lo.
Not those luxury though.
LNYC
post Oct 18 2016, 07:49 AM

On my way
520 posts

QUOTE(crescentwish @ Oct 17 2016, 04:25 PM)
Above average class lo.
Not those luxury though.
Did u pay management fees? If yes then can go to management to deal.
kochin
post Oct 18 2016, 10:16 AM

I just hope I do!
All Stars
10,226 posts

QUOTE(EarringSGarden @ Feb 15 2016, 10:59 AM)
Need help. Ceiling of condo below mine got water stain .Management came to inspect & said tiles joint causes the leak. I have never renovated the bathroom and have stayed for 12 years. The management proposed to remove tiles and bathtub for waterproofing and redo.
The total cost is on me. I am shifting out by year end.
Can i claim any insurance or the developer? Anyway i could cut the cost? Thanks.
tiles joint can never cause leakage.
leakage is definitely caused by water. what is he talking about???
the water is either from above or within your unit.
turn off your stop cock to determine whether there are any more leakages. if after you turn off the stop cock, and after draining off all residual, and still leaks, it's not your unit liao but leakages from above.
my 2 c.

QUOTE(crescentwish @ Oct 17 2016, 04:13 PM)
I stay at the highest floor, now raining my ceiling leaking.
Already no more warranty from the developer.
Who responsible to repair?
Management or me?
common roof under management.
for waterproofing, usually it's 5 or 10 years warranty.
developer or jmb can still claim it.
good luck!
Penang_J
post Oct 18 2016, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
257 posts

The management body only liable for the water pipe installed at the common area. For your case, you may refer your case with management but i do not think they will take any action to repair/rectify the burst pipe problem above your unit. I would suggest T/S to lodge a police report and confirm the incident date in case if you want to consult your lawyer for further legal action.

genyou90
post Dec 19 2016, 11:02 AM

Getting Started
246 posts

i have problem also, the above unit piping burst or what. The water dripping from my bed above my master room, have to switch to another room. Now my masterroom is leaving there with water dripping, the owner said he already do whatever he can do. He just insist to hack his own floor to find the water sources and fix the piping.

I also what should i do now, have inform management, management said will forward case to COB.

heavensea
post Dec 19 2016, 06:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,616 posts

QUOTE(kochin @ Oct 18 2016, 10:16 AM)
tiles joint can never cause leakage.
leakage is definitely caused by water. what is he talking about???
the water is either from above or within your unit.
turn off your stop cock to determine whether there are any more leakages. if after you turn off the stop cock, and after draining off all residual, and still leaks, it's not your unit liao but leakages from above.
my 2 c.
common roof under management.
for waterproofing, usually it's 5 or 10 years warranty.
developer or jmb can still claim it.
good luck!
learnt something, thanks. smile.gif
azeL_Inc
post Dec 27 2016, 11:36 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(Penang_J @ Oct 18 2016, 11:15 AM)
The management body only liable for the water pipe installed at the common area. For your case, you may refer your case with management but i do not think they will take any action to repair/rectify the burst pipe problem above your unit. I would suggest T/S to lodge a police report and confirm the incident date in case if you want to consult your lawyer for further legal action.
Hi..I just bought a 12 yrs walk up apartment, top most unit.
Rain heavily just now, found out bad leak from the roof, it came out thru ceiling, flooding the floor.

If I understand this correctly, it is JMB responsibility to fix this? And as warranty no longer valid after 12 yrs, all cost will be borne by JMB? How do I go about it, make complaint to JMB first?

This post has been edited by azeL_Inc: Dec 27 2016, 11:37 PM
Penang_J
post Dec 30 2016, 03:07 AM

Getting Started
257 posts

QUOTE(azeL_Inc @ Dec 27 2016, 11:36 PM)
Hi..I just bought a 12 yrs walk up apartment, top most unit.
Rain heavily just now, found out bad leak from the roof, it came out thru ceiling, flooding the floor.

If I understand this correctly, it is JMB responsibility to fix this? And as warranty no longer valid after 12 yrs, all cost will be borne by JMB? How do I go about it, make complaint to JMB first?
Okay you gonna to figure out whats actually happen to the pipe, it can be bursting of the down pipe, rain gutter or waterproofing issue. Normally JMB will buy a fire insurance to cover all the common area (all given by developers last time) i.e. ceiling, walls, pipe, roofing etc not your own renovation works. So if your own renovation works damaged is not covered under the Fire Policy.

As far as i concerned, it is JMB responsibility to fix all the damage in your apartment building and this is why owners pay maintenance fees to upkeep the building in normal condition.

Cause of the leaking from roof (section of the roofing blown off, damaged by windstorm, wear and tear issue since the building 12 years old already). I advise you ask a contractor to look into it to prevent further damage or report to Insurance Dept to solve this case (i believe your JMB must buy policy).

babepiggy
post Jul 3 2017, 07:41 PM

33 posts

My toilet wall and floor are leaking but when we tested the water meter there was no movement. The water will come out from the toilet floor and from the wall as well so my wall is stained from bottom up to the middle part. The plumber told me is upstairs toilet leaking. But of course upstairs owner said they have no sign of watermark in the toilet.

I'm lost. Please help.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
silverwave
post Aug 24 2017, 09:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,974 posts

Hi, i just came across this thread and looks like many others have faced the same issue.

Though in my case, i want some advice. The owner below and the condo management have been communicating by email for 2 weeks but they did not let me know. It seems like the condo management could not get hold of the owner to have a look and they informed me after 2 weeks when the owner below complained that things are getting worst.

So when i went to visit the unit, management said it's between me and the owner. Few days later while i was getting quotation from my contractor, the whole plaster ceiling of the bottom unit fell down and damaged a blade of the fan. Water was already leaking badly and it damaged the wooden bed frame slightly. When i asked the management if they have the piping plan for the unit, they said they don't and asked me to get from the developer.

So as the top unit owner, how much are we supposed to compensate?
asiatrader98
post Sep 18 2017, 03:08 PM

Regular
1,435 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Aug 24 2017, 09:20 PM)
Hi, i just came across this thread and looks like many others have faced the same issue.

Though in my case, i want some advice. The owner below and the condo management have been communicating by email for 2 weeks but they did not let me know. It seems like the condo management could not get hold of the owner to have a look and they informed me after 2 weeks when the owner below complained that things are getting worst.

So when i went to visit the unit, management said it's between me and the owner. Few days later while i was getting quotation from my contractor, the whole plaster ceiling of the bottom unit fell down and damaged a blade of the fan. Water was already leaking badly and it damaged the wooden bed frame slightly. When i asked the management if they have the piping plan for the unit, they said they don't and asked me to get from the developer.

So as the top unit owner, how much are we supposed to compensate?
i think your management is useless if they only inform you after 2 weeks

they have to call you immediately after owner complaint about the leaking unless you try to avoid their call

asiatrader98
post Sep 18 2017, 03:11 PM

Regular
1,435 posts

QUOTE(babepiggy @ Jul 3 2017, 07:41 PM)
My toilet wall and floor are leaking but when we tested the water meter there was no movement. The water will come out from the toilet floor and from the wall as well so my wall is stained from bottom up to the middle part. The plumber told me is upstairs toilet leaking. But of course upstairs owner said they have no sign of watermark in the toilet.

I'm lost. Please help.
try a few plumbers to ask for advice......some are pro some are not

This post has been edited by asiatrader98: Sep 18 2017, 03:11 PM
yeeck
post Sep 28 2021, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,387 posts

For units no longer under developer warranty, upper unit leaking water into lower unit, is the upper unit liable to just fix the leakage? Or is the upper unit owner also liable to fix any resultant damage such as water marks on the ceiling and damaged electrical items due to the leak?

This post has been edited by yeeck: Sep 28 2021, 12:33 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0446sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th January 2023 - 06:00 PM