Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Condo upstairs leaking, Need advise..

views

Xccess
post Oct 12 2014, 03:27 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Nov 16 2012, 02:16 PM)
does any 1 tried b4 ask lawyer to issue legal letter.
need to know how much?
if upper owner still ignore, will bring into court.

Does any1 came across tis procedure?
Need to know how much i need to folk out to hire a lawyer.

If win case, would i able to claim back all my expenses including lawyer/court fees?

my case is my masterbedroom toilet leaking from upper unit.
already ask management to alert her the issue.
but no feedback almost 2weeks.

i really fedup that old lady owner (upper unit).

Always like to move the furniture at night, knocking the floor, hanging clothes out the balcony that make water dripping, pouring water through balcony.

Whenever i take a puff at my balcony, she would talk to her maid tis n tat to hav my attention. So when ever i puff at my balcony, i try avoiding going in her unit.
But am i wrong smoking at my own unit?

I wont share the expenses to fix. Rather pay higher a bit to hire a lawyer if got confidence to win court. Still got time to play with her.
user posted image

user posted image
Right now put a container up my plaster ceiling, 3-4 day need to throw the water.
Bro, sorry to dig up a old thread. Did you manage to solve your problem? I'm in the exact same situation as you, water leaking beside pipe from concrete. 2 days ago neighbor did wet washing and my container over flow, resulting to plaster ceiling damage.

Just want to check how much is the repair and does it involve a lot of work?

Xccess
post Oct 12 2014, 08:08 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(aizat87 @ Oct 12 2014, 04:02 PM)
Happened to me earlier this year. Bought a condo with known leaking problem. Then I used that no bring down the house price to ~20K below market price.
Lucky for me the owner upstairs cooperate with me.
Apparently there are few ways to repair the leaking
Mine used the "fluid cement" solution which they basically flooded the toilet upstairs with this whitish milky solution which then sealed the leaking.
Works well.
No leaking since then.
Total cost RM 4.5K, i paid 2.5K.
Hmm...interesting, thanks for sharing. Will check with my contractor. My neighbor is willing to resolve this as I told him I will bear half the cost, he is moving out in December so we will settle this before Christmas.

Care to share the number of your contractor that did it for you?

Xccess
post Oct 12 2014, 08:13 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 12 2014, 05:50 PM)
There are few methods to resolve. Use fast setting hydraulic cement to patch it up sand inject it around the downpipe (for your situation). However sometimes it depending your concrete structure profile. The water probably would find new place to leak (if there are many honey combs in your concrete structure). There is a possible it will stop the leaking forever if the concrete structure profile is good and the leaking is very minimum.

Another method most common waterproofing contractor solve is using Pressure Grout PU chemical waterproofing surround the downpipe treatment. This pressure grout PU chemical once in tact with the water inside the concrete will instantly form a PU foam thus will stop the leaking in that areas but again sometimes it depending your concrete profile structure. This method required expertise to do and able to analyze the situation. Just be careful because there are many amateur contractor waterproofing out there do this pressure grout chemical and runaway after accidentally hit the piping or when the leaking comes back.  biggrin.gif
Thanks. I need a permanent solution, my contractor suggested hacking and redo waterproofing. Neighbor said will find his own contractor then we do a price comparison. If injection can solve this issue, I don't mind giving a try but where to get the real expert and what is the cost?

Xccess
post Oct 13 2014, 10:27 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 13 2014, 12:23 AM)
Hmm.. my advice there is no need to hack the whole floor slab toilet and redo waterproofing if your leaking is exactly like the picture you shown. That's a minor leaking only.

[attachmentid=4168357]

[attachmentid=4168358]

The above picture is much serious than your situation and the PU grout done the job. To be honest, the real expert is actually by the skill workers especially when it comes to waterproofing matter. They are the one hands on applying the waterproofing, feel it and repair it using their experiences. The contractor is just monitoring and supervising it and make the decision call.

There are two contract foreigners i know the best in doing PU grouting work. They been doing PU grouting repair at Klang Valley projects for the last 6 years. Monday to Saturday from 9am to 8pm everyday for the past 6 years. What kind of worse case leaking scenario and weird kind of leaking scenario they had already gone through before. They don't do other works except repair water leaking and PU grouting works. Been living in malaysia for the past 6 years, they know almost all klang valley road and can speak malay language like any malaysian.

However due to the fact they are still contract workers, they are only available night time during weekdays or sunday time. haha!

Their minimum cost to mobilize work is RM800.00 at klang valley areas and judging by your situation. RM800 is enough i guess.

If you interested, i can help arrange for him to inspect your house first.
Where are they from? RM800.00 minimum for repair? Mine is exactly the same situation as the photos posted by darylding2000. Do they need to access upstairs for repair? As can see in your photos, they are working in the affected unit itself.

This post has been edited by Xccess: Oct 13 2014, 10:31 AM
Xccess
post Oct 14 2014, 02:20 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

Can Moderator please shift this to Renovation category?
Xccess
post Oct 14 2014, 06:13 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 14 2014, 05:19 PM)
There are a few methods to repair water leaking in the toilet slab.

You can repair from the unit above slab but usually those repair method on top is very expensive and costly:

(1. hack everything including tiles and waterproofing till the base of the concrete before laying new fresh waterproofing coating/membrane/cementitious, new screed, new tiles)

(2. Lay the white chemical wateproofing and let it pond the whole toilet slab floor for at least 3 hours time)

**You have to be careful as some contractor who had not much knowledge propose to use transparent chemical on top of the floor slab. Its actually a water repellent and its a short term solution only because eventually the effect will wear off (example the rainwater repellent used at car windscreen, it eventually wear off after a period of time)
Example for your case Xccess,

1.) repair from below using PU chemical injection is good enough to solve your problem.

2.) the traditional way of putting a tray and direct the water to some other place.

Regarding the foreigner, its from bangladesh, there are local ppl who could do it too but none of them could match these bangladesh skill and experiences. Imagine a worker do nothing except only do PU grouting work and repair the water leaking in concrete from monday to saturday (morning till late evening) for the past 6 years.

Hmm... i guess i will share more informations and repair method to all LYN here by opening a new discussion topic at renovation section? I will share my experience and some detail drawing of the waterproofing in the toilet and roof for some sharing and discussion. As i know many had bad experiences with waterproofing contractor service their house and runaway etc.

My experience is from one of the manufacturing company chemical construction company specializing in waterproofing and concrete repairs products. I am not those expert guy but i believe i understand waterproofing concept how it works and the potential problems better than average people who is not in this industry. =)
Bro, please start a new thread in Reno forum. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, how do I go about getting the service of those worker for repair? Do they need to remove my plaster ceiling? My man hole is directly below the leaking concrete.

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Xccess
post Oct 14 2014, 08:41 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 14 2014, 06:45 PM)
Haha. Okay. I will start with the basic one topic tonight at the renovation section and share the contact there. I think not appropriate to show it in this property discussion section.

Yes, they will need to remove the plaster ceiling to check the concrete leaking.
Was it from the concrete crack leaking?
or honey comb concrete leaking?
or from the conduit electric pipe leaking?
or downpipe leaking?
or probably the leaking is due to the piping? (not from concrete)

You are very lucky If the leaking is directly below the manhole. then i don't think they will have to cut the plaster ceiling as long their hand can reach the leaking spot and repair it. You save some cost from plaster ceiling repair.

I will try my best to share my knowledge.  biggrin.gif
Hi LDP, i will share the contact at the new topic renovation section later late night.
Bro, take a look at page 2, the photo posted by darylding2000 with red arrow pointing to the leaking at the concrete. Mine is exactly the same, if I were to post mine, they look exactly alike.

I just consulted my contractor regarding PU injection, he said the leak may find another way around and this solution is only temporary, best is to hack, waterproof and retile. What's your advice?

This post has been edited by Xccess: Oct 14 2014, 08:42 PM
Xccess
post Oct 16 2014, 05:19 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 15 2014, 03:16 AM)
Out of all method repair, the best method to repair the water leaking is by hack everything till the base and redo new waterproofing, new screed, new tiles. This is the best method and also the most costly of all. This repair cost definitely will sum up to few thousands above depending your size and quality of tiles.

If money is never an issue to you, honestly this is the best method repair.

Its true that sometime the water maybe could find a different spot to leak after PU injection depending the concrete structure profiles. There is also maybe that it will not leak again in the future.

I will say that 95% chance it won't leak again for many years if using the two foreigners i recommended due to their 6 years experience and analysis observation of the concrete slab. Should you have further doubt, do a full ponding test in your toilet slab after finish PU injection and let it pond for 6 hours to determine whether does it still leak or not.  biggrin.gif

[attachmentid=4171407]

If the ponding test pass, I guess you won't wont have to worry much again. This is the standard practice carry out by consultant in new construction property to get approval.

Judging the picture of the leaking you pointed out, its almost definite it won't leak back because the leaking is only one spot and its at the downpipe area only.
Another question i like to share is there is also a possible the toilet slab leaking again even after the contractor hack everything and redo everything new after few months or few years too.

The same reason new property that just completed and the 1st owner is so frustrated got leaking here and there after staying few months and complaints to the management to take action. That is when the warranty defects by the developer kick in. haha
Very well explained. Have you start the new thread in reno section? How to get your guys to do PU injection? Base on my situation how much you think it will cost?

Xccess
post Oct 17 2014, 06:34 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Oct 17 2014, 05:06 PM)
my problems solved. after the lady cannot tahan me. Nearly issue her my lawyer warning letter which cost me rm150-200. Luckily i save tat.
How you solve the leaking? Redo entire waterproofing? Glad yours is settled, congrats. May I also know how many days it takes to repair?

Xccess
post Oct 18 2014, 04:42 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(lucky8six @ Oct 18 2014, 01:41 PM)
I already open a new thread at renovation session there but its gone. I guess discuss it here is good enough. I think RM400 is enough when i let them see, they are flexible since there are contract labors.

But there is another simple way traditional way of solving it which is create a drainage direct it away. That's the simplest way to solve with minimum cost only. No need to spend so much money in it. Not sure if your contractor willing to do it for you.

Since your case is very minimum, there is no need to hack everything and redo. Too costly for that minimum leaking.

Call mr wan @ 016 336 1104 (tell him you are from lowyat)
Creating drainage I can DIY with pvc tubing and container but it's unsightly. I want to resolve it with PU injection, will contact Mr. Wan next week. Thanks Bro!

Xccess
post Oct 18 2014, 04:53 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,695 posts

QUOTE(darylding2000 @ Oct 17 2014, 06:44 PM)
upstairs owner juz do very simple cement at the drain hole by others contractor. I got knw bcoz i got my own contractor to check the leaking at upstair unit to get the quotation for the owner.
I guess they did a small area waterproofing around the floor trap. Glad your leaking is resolved, I will get mine settle hopefully within next month. Will go for PU injection first.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0232sec    0.36    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:02 AM