Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

171 Pages « < 162 163 164 165 166 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

views

TSazarimy
post Apr 27 2018, 08:51 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Apr 27 2018, 08:33 AM)
Yeah........Malaysia Bolih thingy
actually, it's more of AUSTRALIA BOLEH thingy. true story biggrin.gif.

u see, LAM validation cannot extend beyond our borders (due to parliamentary and sovereignty limitations blablabla). so in order to validate an overseas school, THEY must invite us to validate them. schools that depends on malaysian students will immediately jump on to this opportunity. there are over 100 malaysian students studying architecture in a single school! so if each student spend AUD100k, that's easily AUD10mil loss without LAM validation.

now some of the more prestigious schools... they never bothered. it's like "what? validation from what country now?"

so that was a couple of years ago. that's why some of these schools have not made it in the list. not because LAM dont want to or dont validate them. it's because they're not interested.
prophetjul
post Apr 27 2018, 09:43 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,570 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Apr 27 2018, 08:51 AM)
actually, it's more of AUSTRALIA BOLEH thingy. true story biggrin.gif.

u see, LAM validation cannot extend beyond our borders (due to parliamentary and sovereignty limitations blablabla). so in order to validate an overseas school, THEY must invite us to validate them. schools that depends on malaysian students will immediately jump on to this opportunity. there are over 100 malaysian students studying architecture in a single school! so if each student spend AUD100k, that's easily AUD10mil loss without LAM validation.

now some of the more prestigious schools... they never bothered. it's like "what? validation from what country now?"

so that was a couple of years ago. that's why some of these schools have not made it in the list. not because LAM dont want to or dont validate them. it's because they're not interested.
Why can LAM take the step?

And yet they are blowing about wanting bright minds to return? Where is the rationale?
Seems their lack of proactive action will replulse more bright grads from returning. Malaysia Bolih.

TSazarimy
post Apr 27 2018, 03:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Apr 27 2018, 09:43 AM)
Why can LAM take the step?

And yet they are blowing about wanting bright minds to return?  Where is the rationale?
Seems their lack of proactive action will replulse more bright grads from returning. Malaysia Bolih.
we have, actually. we've written to all schools to inform about the new validation system. many of the UK schools responded well. and at the moment, ASEAN countries have started talks about having mutual recognition agreement so that their schools will be recognized by LAM. the idea is, when LAM recognizes their schools, then they will recognize ours.

that way, malaysians can study there (like thailand, philippines, singapore etc) and can come back to work with LAM parts 1 and 2. in return, by recognizing LAM standards, our students studying locally can opt to go there and work as a proper architect (setup own practice and such).

so why isnt the list of australian schools growing?

because we're talking at governmental level as well. the plan is, they recognize us (as a whole), we recognize them (as a whole). win win.
UniVillage
post May 5 2018, 06:38 PM

3 posts

Please take a look at Uni Village website: https://www.univillage.co/architecture/

TSazarimy
post May 5 2018, 07:18 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(UniVillage @ May 5 2018, 06:38 PM)
Please take a look at Uni Village website: https://www.univillage.co/architecture/
Information is not entirely accurate...
bluetiang
post May 11 2018, 04:54 PM

14 posts

Hi Mr Azari, I have been followed this post since 2015 when I applied UTM part 1 for the first time, and with my application being failed this year again, maybe I could use some of your advices.

I wouldn’t say my result are fantastic, but with a 2.7 diploma cert, band 4 in MUET and 5 years of working experience, i would say my portfolio probably are better than most of the part 1 candidate. However, I understand UPU and admission office filtered candidate by their ‘paper result’ but not their portfolio. Therefore I believe this is the main reason why I am not good enough to compete with other candidates in terms of UPU criteria.

So, my question is, what should I do as my next step in order to at least get me into interview session?

Thanks in advance Mr Azari.
TSazarimy
post May 11 2018, 09:17 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(bluetiang @ May 11 2018, 04:54 PM)
Hi Mr Azari, I have been followed this post since 2015 when I applied UTM part 1 for the first time, and with my application being failed this year again, maybe I could use some of your advices.

I wouldn’t say my result are fantastic, but with a 2.7 diploma cert, band 4 in MUET and 5 years of working experience, i would say my portfolio probably are better than most of the part 1 candidate. However, I understand UPU and admission office filtered candidate by their ‘paper result’ but not their portfolio. Therefore I believe this is the main reason why I am not good enough to compete with other candidates in terms of UPU criteria.

So, my question is, what should I do as my next step in order to at least get me into interview session?

Thanks in advance Mr Azari.
Hi there. I applaud your resilience and can only advise to keep trying. Applying for a spot for UTM B.Sc.Arch using diploma is becoming very competitive every year.

This is because we are the only UA offering atleast 20 places for diploma holders every year. Other schools barely reach 10 due to prioritizing STPM/matric leavers. This has caused us becoming a favorite amongst the applicants, most scoring 3.50++ with 2-3 years working experience.

So its not that you do not qualify, but rather the competition is very stiff. It will get stiffer every year. I may have one solution.

We are targetting to offer part-time B.Sc.Arch this Sept. It will be the same syllabus as the fulltime in Skudai. Its a bit more expensive, but it is part-time and will be based in KL. I will update here if the offer opens. You will have a better chance there.
cloudy-person
post May 16 2018, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

Hi Mr. Azari. I'm a dip in architecture student in UTM KL, will be graduating in a year.
Am planning to continue overseas for my degree and masters. Though I was wondering what would the procedure be like if I studied in an unaccredited overseas school? was planning to try to apply to those 'branded' school like ucl or AA which are currently unaccredited, any comments?
Also, was wondering how is the part 1 exam like? Thanks!
TSazarimy
post May 16 2018, 02:18 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(cloudy-person @ May 16 2018, 02:02 PM)
Hi Mr. Azari. I'm a dip in architecture student in UTM KL, will be graduating in a year.
Am planning to continue overseas for my degree and masters. Though I was wondering what would the procedure be like if I studied in an unaccredited overseas school? was planning to try to apply to those 'branded' school like ucl or AA which are currently unaccredited, any comments?
Also, was wondering how is the part 1 exam like? Thanks!
just apply, pay fees and study away! make sure you complete your studies and hold ARB part 1 (and preferably part 2 as well), then come back and immediately register with LAM so they can schedule the exam as soon as possible.

the exam is similar to a final assessment of thesis, where they will look at your design thesis, portfolio throughout, and in some cases exam papers as well.
acap17
post May 22 2018, 02:59 PM

12 posts

Hi Mr. Azari,

I completed and submitted my online application for Master of Architecture in UTM for this September intake. It has been submitted early this May. A week later the status says the application has been evaluated by SRAD n being sent to the faculty. As of now (2 weeks later) the status still hasnt changed n im starting to get nervous hehe.

My question is, when is UTM's call for interview and how can i know if im not being called for it?
TSazarimy
post May 22 2018, 04:00 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(acap17 @ May 22 2018, 02:59 PM)
Hi Mr. Azari,

I completed and submitted my online application for Master of Architecture in UTM for this September intake. It has been submitted early this May. A week later the status says the application has been evaluated by SRAD n being sent to the faculty. As of now (2 weeks later) the status still hasnt changed n im starting to get nervous hehe.

My question is, when is UTM's call for interview and how can i know if im not being called for it?
Most likely will be after raya. No time to process now because we are at the end of the semester followed by Raya.
thatsound
post Jun 14 2018, 12:33 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

I am a recent RIBA Part-II graduate from the Mackintosh School of Architecture, the Glasgow School of Art. Enrolled in September 2015 and finished in June 2017. I am currently working in the UK as a Part-II architectural assistant.

My questions are:

1) Is my school still accredited if it is not shown on the list of recognised schools, but was previously in 2015?
2) If not, must I physically be in Malaysia to sit for an interview?

I have plans to be working in the UK for at least a year, and would not want my experience here to go to waste. If I do succeed in my Part-II accreditation, can I use my one-year overseas experience as part of my Part 3 logbook?

Any advise would be wonderful.

This post has been edited by thatsound: Jun 14 2018, 12:38 AM
TSazarimy
post Jun 14 2018, 04:33 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(thatsound @ Jun 14 2018, 12:33 AM)
I am a recent RIBA Part-II graduate from the Mackintosh School of Architecture, the Glasgow School of Art. Enrolled in September 2015 and finished in June 2017. I am currently working in the UK as a Part-II architectural assistant.

My questions are:

1) Is my school still accredited if it is not shown on the list of recognised schools, but was previously in 2015?
2) If not, must I physically be in Malaysia to sit for an interview?

I have plans to be working in the UK for at least a year, and would not want my experience here to go to waste. If I do succeed in my Part-II accreditation, can I use my one-year overseas experience as part of my Part 3 logbook?

Any advise would be wonderful.
Hi there.

1. I cant remember the old list, but if the school was in the list at the time of your enrollment (2015), then you should be covered.

2. For registration only, no. But for the interview, you have to be present with your portfolios and all.

3. Yes, but there are some rules you need to comply before doing that. Its best to contact LAM directly to find out.

thatsound
post Jun 14 2018, 11:36 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 14 2018, 04:33 PM)
Hi there.

1. I cant remember the old list, but if the school was in the list at the time of your enrollment (2015), then you should be covered.

2. For registration only, no. But for the interview, you have to be present with your portfolios and all.

3. Yes, but there are some rules you need to comply before doing that. Its best to contact LAM directly to find out.
Cheers for the info. This may be a daft question, but whats the best way to contact LAM? Calls are usually unattended unfortunately.
TSazarimy
post Jun 17 2018, 07:26 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(thatsound @ Jun 14 2018, 11:36 PM)
Cheers for the info. This may be a daft question, but whats the best way to contact LAM? Calls are usually unattended unfortunately.
+603-2698 2878

This number usually works. Ask for Cik Santi. She usually handles about all of this.

Do note it's raya holidays now. Many of them probably have not come back yet. Try end of the week, or next week.
HP Computer
post Jul 3 2018, 02:55 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

Can i ask about UBBL application over here?
TSazarimy
post Jul 4 2018, 03:59 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(HP Computer @ Jul 3 2018, 02:55 PM)
Can i ask about UBBL application over here?
sure. i'm not an expert, but i'm sure others can help u.
calebong
post Sep 9 2018, 12:55 AM

21 posts

Just completed my part 2 master in architecture and I wanted to say thank you for keeping this guide going on! (Convocation in coming October)

I still remember the first time accessing this thread when I am still taking SPM (7-8years ago?) cry.gif

Thanks for keeping this thread going! Always good to revisit the older posts, getting updated with new info, and be reminded with the memory and adrenaline rush facing off the unknown realm of architectural education while carrying the info generously given here rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

edit: It is also great knowing that the platform eventually shifted to facebook biggrin.gif very nostalgic atm

This post has been edited by calebong: Sep 9 2018, 12:57 AM
TSazarimy
post Sep 9 2018, 07:31 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(calebong @ Sep 9 2018, 12:55 AM)
Just completed my part 2 master in architecture and I wanted to say thank you for keeping this guide going on! (Convocation in coming October)

I still remember the first time accessing this thread when I am still taking SPM (7-8years ago?)  cry.gif

Thanks for keeping this thread going! Always good to revisit the older posts, getting updated with new info, and be reminded with the memory and adrenaline rush facing off the unknown realm of architectural education while carrying the info generously given here  rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

edit: It is also great knowing that the platform eventually shifted to facebook biggrin.gif very nostalgic atm
congratulations, first of all! do hang around and help me guide the newbies.

i also maintain an FB page of the same name, but apparently new generations dont use FB that much. they're more on instagram. not sure i have the energy to move there biggrin.gif.
cheeweishan
post Sep 11 2018, 07:46 PM

5 posts

Hi! I'm from University of South Australia student currently doing a research project about BIM. could you please do me a favour to take part in this survey. your participating is greatly appreciated. here is the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SESBIMMY

171 Pages « < 162 163 164 165 166 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0178sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:28 AM