Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Stem Cell

views

TSgkl83
post Dec 16 2010, 09:54 PM, updated 10y ago

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

I felt want to understand more about stem cell and store it for my baby...
anyone stored & used stem cell for your baby or your family member before to cure decease?

so far i quoted:
CellSafe, Rm3700 (promotion price), SEPAX device, normal price RM4500 but 10% discount + free stoller with maybank card
StemLife, Rm4750 (promotion price), automated AXP processing
Cryocord, Rm4300 (normal price), normal processing; +RM600 for automated AXP device; +RM500 if store by vials

wondering is it worth to pay the amount to store stem cell up to 20years+, still deciding want to do get this services or not as getting more and more kids facing some deadly decease when first 10 years... the medical fees may cost a bomb... sweat.gif
moorish
post Dec 16 2010, 10:29 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 16 2010, 09:54 PM)
I felt want to understand more about stem cell and store it for my baby...
anyone stored & used stem cell for your baby or your family member before to cure decease?

so far i quoted:
CellSafe, Rm3700 (promotion price), SEPAX device, normal price RM4500 but 10% discount + free stoller with maybank card
StemLife, Rm4750 (promotion price), automated AXP processing
Cryocord, Rm4300 (normal price), normal processing; +RM600 for automated AXP device; +RM500 if store by vials

wondering is it worth to pay the amount to store stem cell up to 20years+, still deciding want to do get this services or not as getting more and more kids facing some deadly decease when first 10 years... the medical fees may cost a bomb... sweat.gif
I opt for Stemlife, 2 years ago when I signed up the package was somewhere 2.8k I think.

Reason I went for stemlife,

they're bigger company, financially more sound (I hope) chances of them being around after 20 years are higher.

I ask for track record, where they brought out stem cell to heal people, they show me a few cases, whereelse from cryocord, the sales team told me this is P&C and simply refuse to show me any cases where they've successfully thawed cell and heal people.

Stemlife has a package where (tai ket lai si) if kena any disease and need to take out cell, they will pay us cash from company RM100k and not claim insurance like cryocord, the differences is you can only claim once from any insurance, this one I ask my insurant agent and he confirm with me.

Another thing you need to know, stemcell store during birth can only protect your child till around 12 years old, when they're older they need more cell which you just dun hv enuf from bloodcord, unfortunately msia being islam country cloning is prohibited, you need to export your cell to countrys like taiwan or china for cloning, the price I heard is few 100Ks.

Another reason I opt for stemlife is they use bag storage which cryocord use vial, bag is better coz you dun risk contamination.

I think if you can afford it, its good to store stemcell, in case (tai kat lai si) you still has a chance, money wise will cost a bomb, can always put in newspaper for public help but money alone wont do the trick if you dun have the ingredient.

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 16 2010, 10:32 PM
TSgkl83
post Dec 16 2010, 10:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

seem like no recommended to settle payment one-off for 20 years and rather to pay yearly instead as concerned that company may close down anytime... sweat.gif bcos as i understand the yearly maintenance cost to store stem cell is Rm250+ from CellSafe... hence as u said that the number stemcell may enough up to 10years+, still worth to maintain up to 20 years ?

yup, i also heard that StemLife will provide up to Rm100k as medical fees if required the stem cell for recovery... but the beneficial for baby only or anyone will used the stem cell?
moorish
post Dec 16 2010, 10:44 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 16 2010, 10:39 PM)
seem like no recommended to settle payment one-off for 20 years and rather to pay yearly instead as concerned that company may close down anytime...  sweat.gif bcos as i understand the yearly maintenance cost to store stem cell is Rm250+ from CellSafe... hence as u said that the number stemcell may enough up to 10years+, still worth to maintain up to 20 years ?

yup, i also heard that StemLife will provide up to Rm100k as medical fees if required the stem cell for recovery... but the beneficial for baby only or anyone will used the stem cell?
yup I'm paying yearly tongue.gif well this is still a new thing in msia, with 4 company fighting each other, someone gotta fall.

I cant rber if the 100K applies to baby or anyone in the family.

about maintaining it till 20 years, well from my understanding every year they're new breakthru from stemcell research, they'll keep getting more advances, time being I'll store for as long as I see fit
Syd G
post Dec 16 2010, 11:29 PM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

I'm against storing cord blood cells.

If anyone's interested to know, I'll gladly tell you why.
moorish
post Dec 17 2010, 12:13 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 16 2010, 11:29 PM)
I'm against storing cord blood cells.

If anyone's interested to know, I'll gladly tell you why.
jom share share
Syd G
post Dec 17 2010, 04:42 PM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

Why I decided not to store my baby's cord blood :

1) The probability of usage is low. Out of 10,000 samples stored by one of the company, only 6 were even transplanted. 3 for the baby's use, 3 for baby's sibling (usually the younger siblings were conceived to save the elder sibling so it can be discarded from the statistics). Most of the company's transplants are adult stem cells (for athletes) and animal stem cells (for horses). To put this in perspective, your baby has a higher chance of getting cleft lip/palate (1 in 700) or down syndrome (1 in 800).

2) Number of stem cells harvested highly varies. Sometimes can get a lot, sometimes can get little - but the company wont tell you this. If you get a lot, good - prolly can be enough till the baby is up to certain weight. If not, then they wont tell you (and you'll still keep on paying maintenance fee - they'll pray hard you wont need the cells. But if you ever need them - too bad, they hv insurance that will cover their butt).

3) The companies arent making enough money from the maintenance fee to cover their costs. One of the biggest company is a public company so you can vet through the financial details in their website. They've been making loses for a couple of years now - so by the time if you ever need the stem cells, hope that the company is still open.

4) The turnover rate of their staff is very high. For labs that open 24 hours a day, most work on 12 hours shift - and when working condition is not optimal, most of staff leave after few months on the job. So the lab is staffed by mostly fresh grads. And they're not being paid really well (refer item 3) so they come and they go. Are you putting your trust on these fresh employes?

5) 'Automated AXP Processing' is purely marketing. You'll get it when the machines are working. If the machines break or under maintenance, the cells will be manually processed. But you wont get back the difference in your money.

--

I'll just stop there for now.

Hey but if you have the money, then by all means.

moorish
post Dec 17 2010, 04:58 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 17 2010, 04:42 PM)

1) The probability of usage is low. Out of 10,000 samples stored by one of the company, only 6 were even transplanted. 3 for the baby's use, 3 for baby's sibling (usually the younger siblings were conceived to save the elder sibling so it can be discarded from the statistics). Most of the company's transplants are adult stem cells (for athletes) and animal stem cells (for horses). To put this in perspective, your baby has a higher chance of getting cleft lip/palate (1 in 700) or down syndrome (1 in 800).

This is something very new and obviously we never hope to use them, but when the unforseen do arises at least we have hopes, you know stemcell is not something money can buy? you may need to wait for years and some unfortunate people cant even find matching stemcell

2) Number of stem cells harvested highly varies. Sometimes can get a lot, sometimes can get little - but the company wont tell you this. If you get a lot, good - prolly can be enough till the baby is up to certain weight. If not, then they wont tell you (and you'll still keep on paying maintenance fee - they'll pray hard you wont need the cells. But if you ever need them - too bad, they hv insurance that will cover their butt).

When the readings are low, they will not accept your stemcell.
You will get a report on the counts, they issue you a cert after successfully stored

3) The companies arent making enough money from the maintenance fee to cover their costs. One of the biggest company is a public company so you can vet through the financial details in their website. They've been making loses for a couple of years now - so by the time if you ever need the stem cells, hope that the company is still open.

Non of the stemcell company making money yet, you get to see stemlife financial report because its public listed, anyway as I was told, this biz takes sometime to make profit. If in case the company shuts down, we are allow to take back out stemcell and park it elsewhere.

4) The turnover rate of their staff is very high. For labs that open 24 hours a day, most work on 12 hours shift - and when working condition is not optimal, most of staff leave after few months on the job. So the lab is staffed by mostly fresh grads. And they're not being paid really well (refer item 3) so they come and they go. Are you putting your trust on these fresh employes?

If in anycase the stemcell become void for any reason, we're covered in our contract, cant rber how much RM100K I think for us to purchase in overseas. Plus another RM100k for the process, so thats RM200k

5) 'Automated AXP Processing' is purely marketing. You'll get it when the machines are working. If the machines break or under maintenance, the cells will be manually processed. But you wont get back the difference in your money.

Not entirely marketing, you get more cell from AXP processing as compared to manual.

--

Syd G
post Dec 17 2010, 05:10 PM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

We can agree to disagree.

One of my best friend works in the lab smile.gif
moorish
post Dec 17 2010, 05:17 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 17 2010, 05:10 PM)
We can agree to disagree.

One of my best friend works in the lab smile.gif
A recent case of how 2 female msian got HIV from dentist, will it stop you going to dentist?

I've many frens work in hospital, the stories they told me is horrifying, but that doesnt stop me from going to hospital as I dun see me having other choices.

Another reason why bag is safer as it doesnt risk contamination, everything is in the bag you dun take it out as oppose to vial storing.
TSgkl83
post Dec 18 2010, 12:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

i agreed some of the points listed by moonrish

1) the stem cell can store for family member for in case the stem cell can cure any decease. as info, it will useful if the stem cell 67% matched with other active cells, so not only limited for kids only... assumed touch wood i facing decease, i still may have the chances to cure my decease easily with my kids' stem cell as it only required 67%, hence my kids and me have the blood relationship, should easier to match... it is better than bone marrow transplant and use adult stem cells which must 100% match, otherwise no talk... hence bone marrow transplant and adult stem cells can cost easily with 5 digits... but stem cells only 4 digits and gurantee pure cell, that why i consider on it recently...

2) as info, the stemlife required at least 200million cells... otherwise they will terminate our account and no going to take the risks if the number cells below than that... hence, will refund the total amount too...

4) i think the staff turnover wasnt the issues as stem cell only process once only and will store into the "freezer -190C" permanently, i dont think the staffs will suka-suka take out our stem cells for fun right? sweat.gif unless there have the doctor's instructions, they will communicate with doctor later ensuring to take stem cell use for what purpose... as heard that once the stem cell left the freezer or stemcell expose to air, they wont accept it again for storage... means stem cell only can use once time only... furthermore, if the stem cells no longer active or insufficient of active cells they will compensate us RM100k and use the money to source from oversea to check any others' ppl stem cell can match with us or not...

be frank, i avoid this stem cell previously as my thought that it was useless, even avoid the stem cell booth when i went to MidValley's baby exhibition last week ago... but as heard some comments from my friends and concerned that getting more and more kids facing deceases, the cost of operation may cost a bomb up to RM100k easily... maybe stem cell can increase the recovery ratio as believe... just like buying one-off insurance...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 18 2010, 01:04 AM
Syd G
post Dec 18 2010, 09:21 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

I get my information from the insiders, you get your information from the sales people.

1) Btw stem cells dont cure 'any disease'.

2) It's limited to certain bodyweight., depending on how many cells so adults most likely wont be able to use them.

3) As for the 'take back stemcells and park it elsewhere', they need to be kept at -190degrees. The poster above already mentioned that it cant be taken out or exposed to air.

-

Anyway, since you guys are so determined to prove me wrong, I'm just gonna stop at item (5) as above. My goal was not to make you not store your baby's cord blood. My goal was to make sure that you get your information not just from the company's sales people.

After all it's your money.
moorish
post Dec 18 2010, 09:58 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 18 2010, 09:21 AM)
I get my information from the insiders, you get your information from the sales people.

1) Btw stem cells dont cure 'any disease'.

Stem cell DO cure disease and injury. Where do you get your facts from? just google stemcell and you get tons of infos

2) It's limited to certain bodyweight., depending on how many cells so adults most likely wont be able to use them.
The bloodcord cell is enuf till 12 yrs old, any further we need to take it to overseas for cloning, without the right master cell you've no hope even with all the money in your pocket

3) As for the 'take back stemcells and park it elsewhere', they need to be kept at -190degrees. The poster above already mentioned that it cant be taken out or exposed to air.

You can take it out and park it else where, put in freezer bag, it wont be exposed to air as its seal in a bag, but must be done quick.

-

Anyway, since you guys are so determined to prove me wrong, I'm just gonna stop at item (5) as above. My goal was not to make you not store your baby's cord blood. My goal was to make sure that you get your information not just from the company's sales people.

After all it's your money.
This is a good discussion, at least we can explore further to the benefits of storing stemcell.

The stemcell not only helps the baby, it may even save the parents and siblings life along the way.

Treat banking stemcell as buying another insurance, only thing this type is known as Bio-insurance, you pay 3k, in an unwanted event you get stemcell thats 100% matching, you get RM100k cash. Sounds like a good deal to me.

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 18 2010, 10:04 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 10:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

just got accurate info direct from stemcell and cellsafe

1) no idea, as info from stemcell and cellsafe that stemcell can cure leukemia, thalasaemia, myeloma, anemia, malignant lymphoma, and other 75 decease... most of the decease may can cure by medical chemical, but compare with medical chemical & stem cell, should be stem cell safer, faster and cheaper...

2) no matter how many cell u have, it only can use ONCE only... as one of them's stemcell storage bag separate have 80% and 20% portion, 80% take for medical treatment usage and 20% for cloning usage... clone? i questioned is it allowed to clone in Malaysia and they said they had the clone equipments now... hmm... whatever... but how to know the number of cells required for each treatment? if insufficient, how fast they can clone the 20% for more cells? so have any purpose to separate into 80% & 20%? bcos ONCE it remove from freezer, it cant relocated back in freezer anymore... hm... rclxub.gif

actually there have real cases in Malaysia that some of the kids used stemcells to cure their sibling...

maybe Syd G should try to understand it from sales person before give the final conclusion? i'm same as you that very persist to avoid stemcell topics last few weeks ago as need to save money future commitment... finally someone walk in into clinic and giving brief information to my wife, i starting feel it wasnt bad at all and my wife start to enquiry around last week... hence i dont think sales person will "over-commit" as "Proton cars can speed up to 300km/h without sweat" right? sweat.gif definitely i will ask for their contract and read the term & condition in detail for own protection and understand our rights, otherwise will ask lawyer to sue them if they failed to follow the rules... hence may check with doctor whether is the stemcell can cure most of the common deceases or not...

anyway, this is the final pricing i got from Cellxxxx (RM4500) and Stemxxxx (RM4750). both pricing almost the same, used automated processing to get more stemcell, same protection coverages between, no much services differences in between... so my main concern is which company will invest more on better technology equipments in the future bcos it good for stem cells' life span may extended from 30 years to 50 years+ easily, it will benefit also to cure "old man" deceases tongue.gif but it still depend whether the company want to accept "old" stemcell or not as higher risk for more dying cells...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 19 2010, 10:52 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 04:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

i think this little girl face shown in Sin Chew & Guang Ming newspaper...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 19 2010, 04:07 PM
Syd G
post Dec 19 2010, 08:28 PM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 19 2010, 10:48 AM)
maybe Syd G should try to understand it from sales person before give the final conclusion?
What made you think that I didnt get any information from their sales people? wink.gif
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 08:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 19 2010, 08:28 PM)
What made you think that I didnt get any information from their sales people? wink.gif

according to your previous quote "Btw stem cells dont cure 'any disease'"
but quite impossible that ur sales people didnt tell stem cell can cure certain disease at least right? sweat.gif
unless u means it dont cure ALL disease then i can understand as nothing is prefect loh...
Syd G
post Dec 19 2010, 09:04 PM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 19 2010, 08:50 PM)
according to your previous quote "Btw stem cells dont cure 'any disease'"
but quite impossible that ur sales people didnt tell stem cell can cure certain disease at least right? sweat.gif
unless u means it dont cure ALL disease then i can understand as nothing is prefect loh...
Because you mentioned :
the stem cell can store for family member for in case the stem cell can cure any decease.

In that context, you're implying that it can cure any disease ever known to man. Hence why I put it in ' ' .

Folks, I asked 3 O&G specialists, 4 sales people (from 3 diff companies), 3 lab staff (from 2 diff companies) and did my own readings. FYI my decision was made on ethical basis, not a medical one.
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 09:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 19 2010, 09:04 PM)
FYI my decision was made on ethical basis, not a medical one.

you means concerned on the "dishonesty" & "greediness" of stem cell company?
DarkNite
post Dec 19 2010, 10:01 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

It is so not worth it.
BTW my kid's cord blood has just 4 more years to go.
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 10:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 19 2010, 10:01 PM)
It is so not worth it.
BTW my kid's cord blood has just 4 more years to go.

if nothing happen, it may like pieces of rubbish; if something happen, it may worth like a gold mine

mind to share the packages coverage you signed? just for more understanding before make decision...
no going to pay for the annual fees to maintain stem cell after 4 years?

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 19 2010, 10:27 PM
DarkNite
post Dec 20 2010, 08:53 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 19 2010, 10:26 PM)
if nothing happen, it may like pieces of rubbish; if something happen, it may worth like a gold mine

mind to share the packages coverage you signed? just for more understanding before make decision...
no going to pay for the annual fees to maintain stem cell after 4 years?

huh? my plan was a 10yr plan.
Bro, best you do your research from a scientific point of view plus understanding the level of integrity of Bolehland's businessman.

Looking back, I would have make a better choice by buying an insurance policy for the mother & child instead of buying stemcell storage. I dun see Stem Cell as even an insurance.

BTW why do I get a feeling that you are promoting Stem cell storage?

This post has been edited by DarkNite: Dec 20 2010, 08:54 AM
moorish
post Dec 20 2010, 10:55 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 08:53 AM)
Bro, best you do your research from a scientific point of view plus understanding the level of integrity of Bolehland's businessman.

Looking back, I would have make a better choice by buying an insurance policy for the mother & child instead of buying stemcell storage. I dun see Stem Cell as even an insurance.

Pls share why you regret? we would like to learn.

did they fail you?
did they cheat you?
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 11:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 08:53 AM)

about the bolehland businessman work style, i look into it as well... i request 2 companies for a copy of their documentation upon signing their packages... bcos i prefer to read thru in detail before sign up... unlucky that one of companies refuse to give a copy, sound fishy may a trap in the future due to the black & white limitation, most probably the company out from my list... i prefer the company with full transparency at least for more understanding about their T&C before sign up...

about insurance, the common insurance that we know have the limitation too, we can't claim unlimited money from insurance company depend the type of packages we signed up... no matter how premium is the insurance packages, still have the limitation... old words, in this reality have something which can't buy with cash no matter how rich we are... even though insurance may a pieces of rubbish too if we have no chances to claim if suddenly "disappear" or healthy enough till dead... insurance just like giving "hope" or "wish" only with limited resources, but it still wasn't a "dream" with unlimited resources...

assumed we bought a medical insurance/life insurance for our new born baby... so unlucky that found out that our kids have the disease which required long term recovery by medical chemical and expensive to afford in the future... if with stem cells, it may fasten the speed of recovery, lower medical cost and lower hassle... in addition, we can claim certain amount from insurance company at the same time for particular decease to cure decease... 1 stone hit 2 birds... smile.gif so stem cell look alike as bio-insurance and common insurance as cash-insurance...

i'm no work for any stem cell company or any my friend working with stem cell company... i also have the commitment on insurances, i trying to squeeze hard for medical insurance now... doh.gif as my past from science educated background and barely understand some biology knowledge... furthermore, bcos i have a nephew-in-law who facing physical problems when new born, eye ball problem (cant see clearly) and deaf (ear problem and caused can't talk as well), but unfortunately they realized that their baby facing's physical problems when 1-2 years old... the medical fees for their daughter stressing them and forced to save & squeeze more for un-predictable medical fees... that why my parents-in-law very concern in insurances... if have the stem cells, maybe still have the recovery possibility to rebuild the cells again without worry much about the future medical fees...

anyway, you can share your story for brainstorming purpose... maybe you have something that i dont know yet... smile.gif

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 20 2010, 11:54 AM
DarkNite
post Dec 20 2010, 12:13 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

Stem cell is still in its infancy and there are just TOO many claim which are not substantiated. Reading back at what you have written I see too many ASSUMPTIONS, IF's and Maybe's. Sorry as I person who has bought a Stem Cell program, if give the oppotunity again I would not subscribe UNLESS there is substantial improvement in its usage. Currently it is just not worth it!

BTW do you know you can buy stem cell, if you really need it?
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 12:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

but one of video i posted at 1st page which Malaysia patient case used stem cell and shown in newspaper... or you means the outcomes still no good enough or the probability rate to recover with stem cell still low?

no idea, beside request from cord blood bank... maybe each hospital will store our cord blood by themselves quietly if we didn't request for own bank storage purpose... but how much the cost if we buy cord blood? i don't mind to buy if really need it... but how about the matching probability with other ppl's stem cells? lets assumed again that i said 67% matching will be do, wondering why still many kids under sickness? bcos the expensive medical fees for buying stem cells? or the matching probability should be higher than 67% and minimized the chances?

sorry if offended or asking so much as i prefer understand more about it... i know that sales man always talk with nice statements with over-commitment as i experienced now, end up technical team suffering due to their over-commitment... doh.gif hence they (stem cell company) also invited Amber Chia as their ambassador...hm... so i concerned on company's ethical issues too such as close down, cheating, difficulties to claim fees (Rm100k), etc...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 20 2010, 12:53 PM
DarkNite
post Dec 20 2010, 02:26 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 20 2010, 12:41 PM)
but one of video i posted at 1st page which Malaysia patient case used stem cell and shown in newspaper... or you means the outcomes still no good enough or the probability rate to recover with stem cell still low?
The probability rate to recover with stem cell still too low unless you or your kid has genetic abnormality.
So it is probably best to see where you should put your hard earn money. Check your kid's genome for any problem. Weigh out your option as to the %age of using that stem cell before it expires vs other forms of insurance.

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 20 2010, 12:41 PM)
....so i concerned on company's ethical issues too such as close down, cheating, difficulties to claim fees (Rm100k), etc...
I guess this is going to be the main talking point as to whether it is worth throw money to this people. And ethically, Amber Chia is not the kind of ambassador I would trust, my personal opinion.
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 04:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 02:26 PM)
The probability rate to recover with stem cell still too low unless you or your kid has genetic abnormality.
So it is probably best to see where you should put your hard earn money. Check your kid's genome for any problem. Weigh out your option as to the %age of using that stem cell before it expires vs other forms of insurance.

seem i can sync with your understanding...
i will check with doctor about the recovery rate by stem cells with current technology

I guess this is going to be the main talking point as to whether it is worth throw money to this people. And ethically, Amber Chia is not the kind of ambassador I would trust, my personal opinion.

ethical issues quite subject to talk about... the company can be the best company for now, but cant guarantee that they wont cheat in the next 10+ years...

anyway, one of company willing to provide a copy for documents for my references, glad that transparency is there... as what we talk about ethical and SLA ("Service Level Agreement" in technical term) come across my mind, i will look onto the copy whether it talking about the respond time for delivery, justify the definition of "dead" / "dying" stem cells in order to compensate RM100k due to their faults, the processes and documentation required for medical fees RM100k claim, etc...

as checked around, one of friend's stem cell infected by virus but no compensation coverage yet that time... believe the technology still no enough mature yet to maintain these "living creature"...
DarkNite
post Dec 20 2010, 04:48 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

Also I think start-up parents or parents having 1st child tends to be more vulnerable and susceptible to 'salesman talk'
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 06:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 04:48 PM)
Also I think start-up parents or parents having 1st child tends to be more vulnerable and susceptible to 'salesman talk'

that one of the reason i open this topic for more understanding before "brainwash" by salesman... tongue.gif
but still my wife prefer to store cord blood, she prefer "play safe" rather than "take risk"...

anyway, back to topic. so stem cell cant cure for other decease beside genetic's faults?

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 20 2010, 06:12 PM
moorish
post Dec 20 2010, 06:11 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 12:13 PM)
BTW do you know you can buy stem cell, if you really need it?
I think stemcell is not like car sparepart, give the serial code and you get the exact part, sorry, it doesnt work that way, pls check on average what are the percentage of ppl getting a matching donor cell, and how many percent never get matching donor.

Even matching cell there are still a probability of body rejections.

Do you know how much to source stemcell? 2009 rate RM80,000 and FYI insurance company do not pay for buying stemcell, you need to use your own money.

You still hvnt answered my question,

Did they cheat you?
Did they fail you?

Pls share with us, your information may help others who are undecisive, do not just say you regret without giving any valid reason.

Added on December 20, 2010, 6:20 pm
So it is probably best to see where you should put your hard earn money. Check your kid's genome for any problem. Weigh out your option as to the %age of using that stem cell.
What if you're unlucky your child or sibblings or either parents (tai ket lai si) struck with some disease or injury and you cant find a matching cell? ever tot of that?

FYI, stem cell do not help only in certain genetic defects, pls study more on the coverage of disease and injury.

Do you know stemcell is a very promising alternative, do you know the amount of time and money spend by so many countries to develop stem cell technology? whether you like it or not stem cell is the future. Right now they may be about 60 plus medical condition you can use stem cell but in 20 years time I'm quite certain the numbers will at least double. You still think its a stupid idea?

Check your kid's genome for any problem. Weigh out your option as to the %age of using that stem cell before it expires vs other forms of insurance.
Pls elaborate what do you mean by expire?

If there're better company with a 30 plus year track record, I would put my money there, but right now there isnt, your child will be born now, The correct question to ask yourelf is you can choose to store or throw the stem cell away, so what its going to be?

Added on December 20, 2010, 6:30 pm
QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 20 2010, 06:01 PM)

anyway, back to topic. so stem cell cant cure for other decease beside genetic's faults?
I think its the other way round;

example if Baby A store stem cell, 2 years later baby A detected with leukemia, thats genetic fault, Baby A stem cell is genetic unstable and cannot be use to cure his own leukemia. Company will pay RM100k for baby A to find suitable stem cell.

However if baby's A sibbling or parents detected with leukemia, then his stem cell can be use to cure the disease because Baby's A stem cell is stable.

Stem cell is like a master blueprint, if the babys blue print is written wrongly then the stem cell is koyak edi, no use.

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 20 2010, 06:30 PM
vergas
post Dec 20 2010, 07:55 PM

Regular
1,456 posts

I like this view the best:
Thus, the concept of a ‘biological insurance’ which is much hyped by the private cord banks is therefore actuarially unsound given the very low estimates on the likelihood of use, or the need of using one’s own cord blood for transplantation. The emotional marketing is however burgeoning the bank balances of private cord banks.

In the final analysis, public cord blood banking should be expanded for the benefit of the wider population. Collection of altruistic donations of cord blood and directed donations for families at high risk should be encouraged. The National Cord Blood Bank was set up to achieve these objectives at no cost. Rather than just to keep the cord blood banked for one’s own use, it should be made available to others who may need the cord blood in the allogenic (genetically different) setting.

Dr. Musa Mohd. Nordin
Consultant Paediatrician & Neonatologist

Full article
http://mpf.org.my/wp/?p=324

And another one:
There are no accurate estimates on the likelihood of children requiring their own stored cord blood. The best guess of this ever happening range from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 200,000. There is therefore only a tiny and remote chance of children ever requiring to utilize their own stored cells.

Scientific indications for collection and banking of cord blood are far and few in between.  In families where there is a known genetic disease that can be treated by HSC transplantation, cord blood collection and storage are recommended for siblings born into these families. Cord blood collection is also recommended in specific settings, for e.g.

1. A sibling who is suffering from leukemia, just in case he relapses and may require cord blood transplantation
2. A sibling in whom cord blood transplant is indicated but has no match related donor available.

The storing of cord blood privately by private cord banks is based on the premise that the sample is stored specifically for use within the family concerned and more specifically the child's own future use (autologous transplant).

Autologous transplantation itself may be problematic because the use of one’s own stem cells may not cure the underlying pathology. In the case of leukaemia and other congenital disorders, e.g. Thalassaemia and Fanconi’s Anaemia, transplanting one’s own stem cells with the defective genetic and immune structure would only result in returning the disease to oneself.

Full article
http://www.ogsm.org.my/cord_blood_banking.php

This post has been edited by vergas: Dec 20 2010, 08:02 PM
DarkNite
post Dec 20 2010, 08:29 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 20 2010, 06:11 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

rclxub.gif wah lau eh, hell know no fury like a lady's scorn. laugh.gif

Why la so much emo? Did I break your rice bowl? hmm.gif

Actually I did answer your question, unfortunately you don't read too well or missed post#25.
More over you justified it in your own statement - in 20 years time I'm quite certain the numbers will at least double. . And girl I did my research too during my 'opportunity' and I guess, as vergas's article puts it, emotional marketing took over.
But after all these years I also realised..
..Stem cell is still in its infancy (even after 6 yrs already as a customer).

This post has been edited by DarkNite: Dec 20 2010, 08:38 PM
moorish
post Dec 20 2010, 10:21 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(vergas @ Dec 20 2010, 07:55 PM)
I like this view the best:
Full article
http://mpf.org.my/wp/?p=324

And another one:

Full article
http://www.ogsm.org.my/cord_blood_banking.php
I've enquire with the national cord bank but unfortunately they only accept people who give birth at KL GH, they do not accept from any other hospital, go figure. doh.gif

Added on December 20, 2010, 10:39 pm
QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 08:29 PM)
rclxub.gif  wah lau eh, hell know no fury like a lady's scorn. laugh.gif

Why la so much emo? Did I break your rice bowl? hmm.gif

How poor can your judgement be?

Actually I did answer your question, unfortunately you don't read too well or missed post#25.

More over you justified it in your own statement - in 20 years time I'm quite certain the numbers will at least double. . And girl I did my research too during my 'opportunity' and I guess, as vergas's article puts it, emotional marketing took over.
But after all these years I also realised..
..Stem cell is still in its infancy (even after 6 yrs already as a customer).
I think the person who fail at reading is you, if you wanna go to the level of personal attack I've no problem with that playing to your level, anyway back to the topic, 60 diseases and counting is still consider nothing to you? Maybe you have a very high expectation and expect stem cell to be the silver bullet.

You said its an emotional marketing? are you saying those 60 diseases are not real?
or Because the chances of getting them are so slim we need not do anything at all and leave it to fate?
Is this the same as we tell the airline captain the chances of an airplane crashing is so low we need not wear the seat belt "during take off and landing"

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 20 2010, 10:39 PM
ingear
post Dec 22 2010, 11:42 AM

11 posts

After reading all the posts, it looks like those who opposed/discouraged stem cell storage were more likely being attacked.

If an unfortunate event really happens to a child, but his/her stem cell is stored, then one MAY have the parts to help the kid. The next thing is, you better make sure that there is someone in this world is working on that particular disease RIGHT NOW. Just because one has the parts doesn't mean that the cure will appear next minute. It may takes years to put together everything for a preliminary trial in oversea. And those technologies are not mature in Msia yet. I agree that stem cell has a promising future, but we or our babies may not see the bright side in the near future. Get the medical facts right is important.

DarkNite
post Dec 22 2010, 12:00 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

Wat are the 60 diseases?
moorish
post Dec 22 2010, 07:24 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 22 2010, 12:00 PM)
Wat are the 60 diseases?
cant rber, you've sign up why not you call them and ask.

I think the 60 diseases or rather 60 conditions is inclusive of injury, one of them I rber is spinal cord injury.
TSgkl83
post Dec 22 2010, 07:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

managed to get a copy of agreement, saw one of the clauses said that stem cell company have reserve for the right to assign its rights to any third party without consent of us, but will notify us in writing within 30 days... thought we paid for their services? doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif
moorish
post Dec 22 2010, 07:33 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(ingear @ Dec 22 2010, 11:42 AM)
After reading all the posts, it looks like those who opposed/discouraged stem cell storage were more likely being attacked.

If an unfortunate event really happens to a child, but his/her stem cell is stored, then one MAY have the parts to help the kid. The next thing is, you better make sure that there is someone in this world is working on that particular disease RIGHT NOW. Just because one has the parts doesn't mean that the cure will appear next minute. It may takes years to put together everything for a preliminary trial in oversea. And those technologies are not mature in Msia yet. I agree that stem cell has a promising future, but we or our babies may not see the bright side in the near future. Get the medical facts right is important.
Stemcell stored not just to help that baby, also their sibblings and parents.

Stemcell is one of the most extensive research going on in the medical field right now, many countries are spending a lot of time and money, Singapore, Taiwan and China particularly.

Your baby is born right now, you've a choice to store the cell or throw it away, what if for some medical breakthru and a cure is successful but you dun have the cell?
DarkNite
post Dec 22 2010, 08:15 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 22 2010, 07:24 PM)
cant rber, you've sign up why not you call them and ask.

I think the 60 diseases or rather 60 conditions is inclusive of injury, one of them I rber is spinal cord injury.
They also says not so many, so I wan to know why are you so sure have 60? hmm.gif
moorish
post Dec 22 2010, 08:57 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 22 2010, 08:15 PM)
They also says not so many, so I wan to know why are you so sure have 60? hmm.gif
60 is what I could recall, if you wanna be sure why not you call them or do a search online yourself?

can I be clear what you're implying?
are you saying you are
not satisfied with the company you've park your baby's stem cell?
or
You're not a believer of parking stemcell and you've regretted for your action?

Added on December 22, 2010, 9:27 pmJust a quick google search and

http://stemcellresearchnews.net/Diseases_Treated.aspx

What diseases can be treated using stem cells?

Cord blood stem cell transplants have already changed—and saved—thousands of lives around the world. They have already been used to treat more than 75 diseases, including numerous types of malignancies, anemia's, inherited metabolic disorders and deficiencies of the immune system.
Acute Leukemia:
2 years ago I could recall 60 medical conditions, now since we're in the topic I was curious and did another search and the numbers now reads 75. And its not counting injury like spinal cord, knee cap and so on.

another interesting explanation on stem cell usage:

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 24 2010, 10:29 AM
DarkNite
post Dec 23 2010, 08:29 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

Why should I trust a site that is marketing & promoting storage of stem cells?

Here are more info for a better perspective on Stem Cell treatment. Use your own judgment on which sites are more credible.
Top Ten Things to Know About Stem Cell Treatments
Patient Handbook on Stem Cell Therapies >> http://www.isscr.org/clinical_trans/pdfs/I...entHandbook.pdf
Your health shouldn’t be in the hands of a salesman
Patient in Thailand Dies From Treatment From Own Stem Cells

Bottom-line : Always ask your medical doctor for advice on what is ACTUALLY available and to wat extent & cost is the 'cure'.

*Is that so called 'cure' experimental or just alleviate the condition or really 100% cure?

*Also so far the chance of you using the stuff is 0.03%, and in seeking a cure you may have to raise additional fund or buy additional insurance (doubt anyone would sell you by then)

This post has been edited by DarkNite: Jan 1 2011, 10:58 AM
moorish
post Dec 23 2010, 10:30 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 23 2010, 08:29 AM)
Why should I trust a site that is marketing & promoting storage of stem cells?
As mention many times, do your own research. you still hvnt answered me, where do you actually stand?

We've already passed the time where we question what can you do with your babys cord blood, stem cell treatment are very real and its no scifi movie, its already happening.

As I've told you many times, throw away your babys blood cord if you dun like the idea. Isnt it simple?

Or you may ask yourself this, why is countries like US and most of develop countries has a public blood cord banking and store all their citizens cord blood?

Malaysia has a cord blood banking but you must deliver your baby at GH, anywhere else you need to store it privately or throw it away.

A simple calculation for you to consider:

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 23 2010, 10:43 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 22 2010, 08:57 PM)
can I be clear what you're implying?
are you saying you are
not satisfied with the company you've park your baby's stem cell?
or
You're not a believer of parking stemcell and you've regretted for your action?

i just want to understand why company have the right to use our stem cell even though we paid for their service...
the clause is from the agreement... need to understand more before any sign up...

anyway, as my opinion use vehicles as example, storing stem cell vehicles equipped with Air Bag / Anti-lock Brake System and hence with accident insurance for personal as well... for in case accidents happened, Air Bag / ABS system may save our life even though managed to claim compensate/medical fees from insurance company, no point to claim compensate/medical fees if dead... for those very careful driver, Air Bag / ABS system will be useless since the probability of accidents will be quite low... but still most of modern vehicles must equipped with this system for unpredictable incidents...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 23 2010, 01:13 PM
moorish
post Dec 23 2010, 10:31 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM)
i just want to understand why company have the right to use our stem cell even though we paid for their service...
the clause is from the agreement... need to understand more before any sign up...

No they do not have the rights to use our stem cell, we can sue them kao kao if they do.

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM)

anyway, as my opinion use vehicles as example, storing stem cell vehicles equipped with Air Bag / Anti-lock Brake System and hence with accident insurance for personal as well... for in case accidents happened, Air Bag / ABS system may save our life even though managed to claim compensate/medical fees from insurance company, no point to claim compensate/medical fees if dead... for those very careful driver, Air Bag / ABS system will be useless since the probability of accidents will be quite low... but still most of modern vehicles must equipped with this system for unpredictable incidents...
In singapore you dun have to store stem cell privately, they've a national cord banking free for all their citizen, in malaysia we have to take care of ourselves, gomen dun provide this service.

TSgkl83
post Dec 24 2010, 10:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,266 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 23 2010, 10:31 PM)
No they do not have the rights to use our stem cell, we can sue them kao kao if they do.
In singapore you dun have to store stem cell privately, they've a national cord banking free for all their citizen, in malaysia we have to take care of ourselves, gomen dun provide this service.

bcos i see the agreement showing the clause and no write in detail why they want to do so...

as heard singapore having high taxation for variety future benefits (such as local KWSP and SOSCO), maybe part of taxation used for medical usage (store stem cells) as well... maybe malaysia due to low taxation and improper arrangement for the funds...
moorish
post Dec 24 2010, 10:28 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Dec 24 2010, 10:18 AM)
bcos i see the agreement showing the clause and no write in detail why they want to do so...

as heard singapore having high taxation for variety future benefits (such as local KWSP and SOSCO), maybe part of taxation used for medical usage (store stem cells) as well... maybe malaysia due to low taxation and improper arrangement for the funds...
I think it meant they can sub the cryo to a third party, means stemlife is main contractor, 3rd party company dealing in cryo storage.
auhckw
post Dec 28 2010, 09:31 AM

Regular
1,008 posts

We took Stem Cell knowing the chances are slim that it may be useful.

Slim chances is still hope when there is need for it which we hope the day won't come.

If one can afford, the slim chance is still something. In a way, stem cell is like insurance.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Stem Cell or anybody working with Stem Cell.
dirsly
post Dec 28 2010, 10:47 AM

Safe Trader
1,426 posts

hi all.
in case of stem cell from my perspective.
is only option to cure disease rather than use third party chemical thing[example pills, laser and so on]
side effect by using those option is confirm whereby if u use stem cell there is no side effect because we are using our own life cell and is totally great.

Syd G
post Dec 28 2010, 10:56 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

QUOTE(dirsly @ Dec 28 2010, 10:47 AM)
hi all.
in case of stem cell from my perspective.
is only option to cure disease rather than use third party chemical thing[example pills, laser and so on]
side effect by using those option is confirm whereby if u use stem cell there is no side effect because we are using our own life cell and is totally great.
the current chance statistics on using own cell from one of the company is is 0.03%

moorish
post Dec 28 2010, 11:08 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 28 2010, 10:56 AM)
the current chance statistics on using own cell from one of the company is is 0.03%
If whole of malaysia citizen parked their stem cell and 0.03% chances of using then I would agree the use of stem cell is quite small.

I think last I heard was less than 10,000 ppl park their stem cell and more than 60% are new born babies, plus the technology of stemcell is limited to around 70 or 80 disease.

So your statistic should not use to discourage ppl from parking stem cell, tell me what if one day a good friend of yours actually listen to your advise and his baby kena some kinda disease that needs stem cell to survive?

Syd G
post Dec 28 2010, 11:17 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 28 2010, 11:08 AM)
If whole of malaysia citizen parked their stem cell and 0.03% chances of using then I would agree the use of stem cell is quite small.

I think last I heard was less than 10,000 ppl park their stem cell and more than 60% are new born babies, plus the technology of stemcell is limited to around 70 or 80 disease.

So your statistic should not use to discourage ppl from parking stem cell, tell me what if one day a good friend of yours actually listen to your advise and his baby kena some kinda disease that needs stem cell to survive?
Not discourage, inform smile.gif

I prefer people make their own informed decisions instead of fear marketing.
auhckw
post Dec 28 2010, 11:23 AM

Regular
1,008 posts

Based on their marketing talk, they are still doing research on what they can harvest out of the stem cells. So, we wont' know what they can get it out in the future.

How true? We won't know. And frankly, I hope I don't need to know.

This post has been edited by auhckw: Dec 28 2010, 11:24 AM
DarkNite
post Dec 28 2010, 11:43 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ
All Stars
10,975 posts

QUOTE(dirsly @ Dec 28 2010, 10:47 AM)
.....side effect by using those option is confirm whereby if u use stem cell there is no side effect because we are using our own life cell and is totally great.
Not 100% true.

A woman with kidney disease has died after receiving an experimental stem cell treatment at a private clinic in Thailand, and a postmortem examination of her kidneys revealed that the treatment was almost certainly responsible for her death.
The woman suffered from lupus nephritis, a disease in which the immune system attacks the kidneys. When medications no longer controlled her disease, she went to a still-unnamed clinic in Bangkok where doctors said they could treat her disease using stem cells drawn from her own bone marrow.
See report below >>
http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/early/...111156.abstract
Some reports suggest that autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation holds potential for treatment of renal diseases such as lupus nephritis, but the safety of delivering various stem cell types (hematopoietic, mesenchymal, and endothelial precursors) is not well established. Here, we report a case of lupus nephritis treated by direct renal injection of autologous stem cells recovered from peripheral blood. The patient developed masses at the sites of injection and hematuria. We suspected transitional cell carcinoma but nephrectomy revealed that the masses were angiomyeloproliferative lesions. We believe that this previously undescribed pathologic entity is stem cell–derived or –induced. The biologic potential, including the neoplastic potential, of this lesion is unknown. This case illustrates that the development of angiomyeloproliferative lesions is a possible complication of stem cell therapy.

This post has been edited by DarkNite: Dec 28 2010, 11:58 AM
moorish
post Dec 28 2010, 10:55 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 28 2010, 11:43 AM)
Not 100% true.

A woman with kidney disease has died after receiving an experimental stem cell treatment at a private clinic in Thailand, and a postmortem examination of her kidneys revealed that the treatment was almost certainly responsible for her death.
The woman suffered from lupus nephritis, a disease in which the immune system attacks the kidneys. When medications no longer controlled her disease, she went to a still-unnamed clinic in Bangkok where doctors said they could treat her disease using stem cells drawn from her own bone marrow.
See report below >>
I think this pretty much explain everything,

many unnamed clinic create problem of fatal consequences, eg breast enlargement, liposuction, placenta, botox, so are you gonna say all these treatment are dangerous and doesnt work? Its unqualified doctors that kills not the treatment.

BTW stemcell are very new, there're many treatment still in experimental stages, its like beta version, so dun expect a miracle.

Added on December 29, 2010, 10:31 am
QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 28 2010, 11:17 AM)
Not discourage, inform smile.gif

I prefer people make their own informed decisions instead of fear marketing.
This is not fear marketing
This is hope marketing rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by moorish: Dec 29 2010, 10:54 AM
ingear
post Dec 30 2010, 11:30 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 28 2010, 10:55 AM)

BTW stemcell are very new, there're many treatment still in experimental stages, its like beta version, so dun expect a miracle.

Added on December 29, 2010, 10:31 am

This is not fear marketing
This is hope marketing rclxms.gif
park the stem cells and hope that one has a back up plan but then don't expect a miracle comes out from the plan ? unsure.gif
moorish
post Dec 30 2010, 11:53 AM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(ingear @ Dec 30 2010, 11:30 AM)
park the stem cells and hope that one has a back up plan but then don't expect a miracle comes out from the plan ?  unsure.gif
Stem cell is not the all cure, it can only treat certain condition, 70 plus to be precise.
janszmatt
post Dec 30 2010, 02:54 PM

Getting Started
194 posts

This morning during a discussion with my uncle, his wife's doctor says most many treatment still in experimental stages INCLUDING many on your list!
And many are not available in Malaysia. So how? Who pays for the additional charge in overseas?

This post has been edited by janszmatt: Dec 30 2010, 02:56 PM
moorish
post Dec 30 2010, 06:16 PM

Material Girl
1,874 posts

QUOTE(janszmatt @ Dec 30 2010, 02:54 PM)
This morning during a discussion with my uncle, his wife's doctor says most many treatment still in experimental stages INCLUDING many on your list!
And many are not available in Malaysia. So how?
Lets put it this way, if you tai ket lai see kena one of those disease, no cure you wait to die, what are you gonna do?

All the money in the world oso no use, but if there is an experimental cure that yield result, but its in overseas, you can at least try it out.

2nd if your frens wife is a doc then she should know stem cell currently is the greatest hope for humankind.

3rd, you can choose to throw away your bloodcord or you can choose to store it, your call.

QUOTE(janszmatt @ Dec 30 2010, 02:54 PM)
Who pays for the additional charge in overseas?
You can buy insurance or you can raise public fund,

Dun mix hospital treatment and banking stem cell, 2 different thing, but without matching cell all the money in the world will not save your life.
ronnt88
post Jan 27 2011, 02:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,353 posts

hi guys & gals... some useful info in this thread. thanks to all that contributed.

Actually my wife wants me to go for the stemcell/core blood storage as it's our 1st baby and she wants to play safe, have a some peace of mind. So I agreed to pay for it but I'm unfamiliar to all the companies out there, I heard there were 4 in the market...

My question is, which company is the overall best/most dependable so far? Hope you guys can shed some light. Thanks.
kongchristine
post Jan 27 2011, 04:48 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(ronnt88 @ Jan 27 2011, 02:50 PM)
hi guys & gals... some useful info in this thread. thanks to all that contributed.

Actually my wife wants me to go for the stemcell/core blood storage as it's our 1st baby and she wants to play safe, have a some peace of mind. So I agreed to pay for it but I'm unfamiliar to all the companies out there, I heard there were 4 in the market...

My question is, which company is the overall best/most dependable so far? Hope you guys can shed some light. Thanks.
Hi,

I have just signed up with Stemlife last December, the price is RM2250 for first year then subsequent year will be RM250/year for maintenance. You can opt for installment plan.

But not everyone is qualified for this service, the mother has to have her blood tested (Hepatitis, HIV etc) during the day of admission for delivery and after delivery, they must check to see if the blood count is sufficient for storage. If failed, they will refund you your money.
abd.wahab
post May 20 2011, 12:03 AM

3 posts

I've recently wrote this for another forum. Sorry but its in Bahasa Malaysia. Will try my best to translate it in the next post.

* This is just for informational use only. No marketing intended. Medical advances like these, are still new but explainable if you truly understand the importance of them.

Assalamualaikum dan salam sejahtera.

Di sini saya ingin menerangkan sedikit sebanyak mengenai Stem Cell/Sel Induk

Stem Cell atau Sel Induk merupakan sel-sel yang terdapat didalam tubuh badan manusia yang mempunyai keupayaan untuk berkembang atau berpecah secara berterusan, selalunya sepanjang hayat manusia.

Sel tersebut adalah sel utama yang akan bertukar kedalam sel-sel yang membentuk otak, saraf, otot dan selainnya.

Selalunya apa yang selalu di war-warkan adalah Stem Cell Darah Tali Pusat iaitu Stem Cell Hematopoietic atau Lebih Dikenali dengan nama CordBlood atau HSCs. CordBlood atau HSCs ini dapat merubahbentuk kedalam sel-sel komponen darah seperti Sel Darah Merah, Sel Darah Putih, Platlet dan sebagainya yang berkenaan dengan darah. Ia selalunya digunakan untuk mengubati penyakit yang juga berkaitan dengan darah seperti Leukemia, Lymphoma, Thalassemia dan sebagainya.

Akan tetapi kemajuan kajian stem cell ini telah menghasilkan sejenis stem cell lagi yang amat berbeza dari CordBlood atau HSCs, iaitu Stem Cell Mesenchymal yang boleh didapati dari Wharton’s Jelly yang terdapat di dalam tali pusat. Stem Cell Mesenchymal atau MSCs mempunya kebaikan tersendiri. MSCs adalah sel yang mempunyai potensi untuk menjadi sel-sel lain yang mungkin tidak boleh diperolehi dari HSCs. MSCs dapat bertukar kedalam sel-sel yang dapat merubahbentuk kedalam organ seperti jantung, saraf, kornea, lemak tulang dan lain-lain.

Selalunya ibubapa yang sedang menunggu kelahiran bayi mereka akan berjumpa dengan pihak Perbankan Stem Cell bagi mengetahui apakan procedure yang akan dilakukan bagi mengekstrak dan menyimpan stem cell tersebut. Malaysia mempunyai 4 Bank Utama untuk menyimpan sel darah tai pusat. Ibu/bapa yang ingin mengambil tahu tentang proses tersebut bolehlah membuat kajian terlebih dahulu, bandingkan keempat-empat bank tersebut dan nilaikan dari segi :

a)
Keselamatan (Bagaimana dan Dimana Mereka Menyimpan Darah Tali Pusat)

b)
Lokasi-Lokasi Mereka (Sama ada mereka beroperasi di Hospital Bersalin)

c)
Pengesyoran Doktor Sakit Puan (Jangan Segan Silu untuk bertanyakan tentang perbankan stem cell kepada doctor yang bertanggungjawab atas si ibu.

d)
Kaedah Penyimpanan (Sama ada menggunakan beg anti-nyahbeku atau tiub(vial) anti-nyahbeku, beg anti-nyahbeku hanya boleh digunakan sekali sahaja, tetapi tiub(vial) anti-nyahbeku boleh dibahagikan kepada 5 atau lebih tiub dan boleh digunakan mengikut jumlah tiub yang disimpan)

e)
Buat Ujian darah ibu/bapa bagi mengetahu sama ada sesuai untuk menyimpan stem cell. (Bebas daripada Hepatitis, AIDS dan sebagainya)

f)
Jaminan atau Insuran yang disediakan pihak Bank Stem Cell. (Jaminan Transportasi/Jaminan Kontaminasi/JaminanPenyimpanan/Jaminan Transplantasi dan sebagainya)

g)
Kos Pendaftaran/Kos Simpanan dan lain lain kos. (Kos selalunya tidah begitu mahal.Selalunya kos pendaftaran lebih kurang RM2000, kos simpanan lebih kurang RM250, anda juga boleh membayar secara pukal bagi 20 tahun sekaligus.)

h)
Keberkesanan di dalam Malaysia. (Tidak semestinya Syarikat antarabangsa adalah baik untuk anda)

i)
Pastikan Bank Stem Cell tersebut tidak menyimpan darah yang telah rosak atau berkontaminasi.

j)
Sekiranya ada Expo/Pameran berkenaan kehamilan, kumpulkan risalah-risalah, dan informasi sebanyak mungkin sebelum membuat keputusan.

k)
Simpanan Sel Darah Tali Pusat Secara Peribadi hanya boleh dilakukan menerusi Hospital/Klink Swasta.

Saya harap saya dapat membantu sedikit sebanyak bagi panduan anda semua.

Sekian Terima Kasih

Oh, sebelum saya terlupa hukum penyimpanan tali pusat adalah HARUS mengikut Majlis Fatwa Jabatan Agama Islam Malaysia.

Wassalam.

This post has been edited by abd.wahab: May 20 2011, 12:05 AM
[email protected]
post Mar 1 2012, 11:28 AM

Casual
360 posts

what are the best package you guys can get for cordblood?
UpCar
post Mar 9 2012, 02:59 PM

Regular
1,612 posts

i got mine from cellsafe. RM 5k for 21 years.
MugenK20A
post May 29 2012, 02:47 PM

Regular
1,244 posts

Cellsafe better of Stemlife better?
UpCar
post May 29 2012, 03:45 PM

Regular
1,612 posts

QUOTE(MugenK20A @ May 29 2012, 02:47 PM)
Cellsafe better of Stemlife better?
technology wise, cellsafe better. they got more state of the art machines to separate the cells.

price wise, all also nearly similar pricing.
Uwen
post Aug 8 2012, 05:55 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(UpCar @ May 29 2012, 03:45 PM)
technology wise, cellsafe better. they got more state of the art machines to separate the cells.

price wise, all also nearly similar pricing.
Just want to share with you, try to compare with CryoCord Sdn Bhd. Price almost the same, but Cryocord lab is Class 100 cleanroom (while others Class 1000), using AXP processing (which AABB-Biggest Cord Blood bank in world also using), experience a lot of stem cell transplant cases but Cellsafe is 0 cases. The most important is that, they store both cord blood and umbilical cord. If you mentioned about technology and research, currently CryoCord is the ONLY choice.
chinyee
post Aug 9 2012, 06:14 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

hi hi , may i know what is the average price for there stem cells storage in malaysia?
i understand that with required few thousand for the registartion, but after that do we need paid by monthly?
if do average is how much
haha
alworks
post Aug 31 2012, 01:27 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

hi, anyone can recommend me which company is better right now? Company S or C?
Syd G
post Aug 31 2012, 09:17 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

Can you define 'better'? smile.gif
alworks
post Aug 31 2012, 11:49 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Aug 31 2012, 09:17 AM)
Can you define 'better'? smile.gif
Better includes - better reputation? most parents choice?
Dunoo, jes would like to listen to the advice from all of you.
Syd G
post Sep 1 2012, 10:03 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

Any particular reason why you're thinking of SC storage? Do you have familial history of blood disorders like thalassemia or leukemia?
alangeorge
post Sep 1 2012, 10:30 AM

Getting Started
204 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 17 2010, 04:42 PM)

--

totally agree.....latest info suggests that the amount of stored cord blood will not be enough...see above no.2. don't be blinded by promises. i also was influenced by this cord blood a long time ago but after reading up on it, i decided against it.
Syd G
post Sep 1 2012, 11:30 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

Some of the info is outdated : e.g said lab no longer has 24 shifts.. they're on 'on-call' system now.

Btw if you have history of blood disorders in your family, then you should store the samples.

This post has been edited by Syd G: Sep 1 2012, 11:30 AM
KohSin
post Sep 1 2012, 12:02 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

heard that if delivery is made at GH, they will help u store the cord blood? We are planning to have our delivery at PPUM, and all my check ups are at there. So it means my baby's cord blood will automatically be stored as mentioned at here before by 1 forumer?

me and my husband's family doesn't have blood disorders......so does it mean my baby's chances of getting those disease are quite rare?
Syd G
post Sep 1 2012, 05:55 PM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

QUOTE(KohSin @ Sep 1 2012, 12:02 PM)
heard that if delivery is made at GH, they will help u store the cord blood? We are planning to have our delivery at PPUM, and all my check ups are at there. So it means my baby's cord blood will automatically be stored as mentioned at here before by 1 forumer?

me and my husband's family doesn't have blood disorders......so does it mean my baby's chances of getting those disease are quite rare?
If you want to donate your baby's cord blood for the benefit of others, you need to deliver at GH.. as for they helping you store cord blood, I'm not sure whether they do it for all mothers or just take random samples. PPUM doesnt have it.

Very rare to get blood disorders if you dont have any familial history. But one thing that people have to realize is.. even if you have the cord blood stored and your baby get a disease, the blood cant be reused back because it's genetically defective...still need to get donation gua.

KohSin
post Sep 1 2012, 07:49 PM

Enthusiast
720 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Sep 1 2012, 05:55 PM)
If you want to donate your baby's cord blood for the benefit of others, you need to deliver at GH.. as for they helping you store cord blood, I'm not sure whether they do it for all mothers or just take random samples. PPUM doesnt have it.

Very rare to get blood disorders if you dont have any familial history. But one thing that people have to realize is.. even if you have the cord blood stored and your baby get a disease, the blood cant be reused back because it's genetically defective...still need to get donation gua.
I will check with doc on my next visit on this. I too were oso thinking on whether to store the cord blood onot...i think v will just donate it instead of storing for our own use.

Thx a lot for all the infos. smile.gif
UpCar
post Sep 3 2012, 02:28 PM

Regular
1,612 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Sep 1 2012, 10:03 AM)
Any particular reason why you're thinking of SC storage? Do you have familial history of blood disorders like thalassemia or leukemia?
for me, its because of both unfortunately.

arthurlwf
post Sep 3 2012, 05:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

Is embryos stem cells still required with the new invention to create stem cells using body fats?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...stem-cells.html
scientists have turned human fat into stem cells

Added on September 4, 2012, 12:55 amInteresting view from this website and what do you think???

http://stemlie.wordpress.com/ten-reasons-w...ot-use-stemlie/

This post has been edited by arthurlwf: Sep 4 2012, 12:55 AM
kidzmostwanted
post Sep 5 2012, 02:45 PM

11 posts

I have stored the stem cells with Cellsafe for both my kids. It may not be any use after all, but just for any use if anything happen in future. I opted for one time payment for 21 years, as it is cheaper compare to paying yearly. Hope this help with your decision making. smile.gif

UpCar
post Sep 5 2012, 02:51 PM

Regular
1,612 posts

QUOTE(kidzmostwanted @ Sep 5 2012, 02:45 PM)
I have stored the stem cells with Cellsafe for both my kids. It may not be any use after all, but just for any use if anything happen in future. I opted for one time payment for 21 years, as it is cheaper compare to paying yearly. Hope this help with your decision making. smile.gif
cellsafe gave me a avent food processor as a gift. what did u get ?
kidzmostwanted
post Sep 5 2012, 03:29 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(UpCar @ Sep 5 2012, 02:51 PM)
cellsafe gave me a avent food processor as a gift. what did u get ?
The first one i get RM2,000 rebate, and the second one I get a Combi stroller. Food processor from Avent is not bad ya. smile.gif
leongal
post Sep 6 2012, 08:43 AM

~I have a new mission in life~
3,188 posts

QUOTE(kidzmostwanted @ Sep 5 2012, 02:45 PM)
hi there! what's the one time payment like?
MugenK20A
post Sep 6 2012, 08:45 AM

Regular
1,244 posts

Can i transfer from Stemcell to Cellsafe? Anyone knows?
UpCar
post Sep 6 2012, 11:48 AM

Regular
1,612 posts

QUOTE(MugenK20A @ Sep 6 2012, 08:45 AM)
Can i transfer from Stemcell to Cellsafe? Anyone knows?
eh why la ? storage wise ok ma. should be all also same process in storage. only when they do the extraction of cells process only different gua.

Added on September 6, 2012, 11:48 am
QUOTE(leongal @ Sep 6 2012, 08:43 AM)
hi there! what's the one time payment like?
5k if i not mistaken. i also need to dig up the resit.

This post has been edited by UpCar: Sep 6 2012, 11:48 AM
MugenK20A
post Sep 6 2012, 01:05 PM

Regular
1,244 posts

Based on all comments, Stemcell have to pay rm250/yr whereas Cellsafe only pay 1 shot. In long run Cellsafe is cheaper rite?
UpCar
post Sep 6 2012, 04:33 PM

Regular
1,612 posts

QUOTE(MugenK20A @ Sep 6 2012, 01:05 PM)
Based on all comments, Stemcell have to pay rm250/yr whereas Cellsafe only pay 1 shot. In long run Cellsafe is cheaper rite?
cellsafe has options. a 1 off payment for those who can afford , and an installment monthly plan.
i dunno about Stemcell.
MugenK20A
post Sep 7 2012, 09:55 AM

Regular
1,244 posts

If i rmb well, Stemcell 1st pymt was rm2k++ & every yr hav to pay rm250.
kidzmostwanted
post Sep 10 2012, 12:27 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(UpCar @ Sep 6 2012, 04:33 PM)
cellsafe has options. a 1 off payment for those who can afford , and an installment monthly plan.
i dunno about Stemcell.
Yes, all the stem cell company comes with one time payment option or we can pay by yearly after the lower initial payment on the first year. But if we choose to pay one shot at the start, then it will be cheaper.

Added on September 10, 2012, 12:30 am
QUOTE(UpCar @ Sep 6 2012, 11:48 AM)
eh why la ? storage wise ok ma. should be all also same process in storage. only when they do the extraction of cells process only different gua.

Added on September 6, 2012, 11:48 am
5k if i not mistaken. i also need to dig up the resit.
Yes, I think it's about that. 5k+ for Cellsafe. But you may opt for storage at two location, that one will cost 6k+ if not mistaken. But again, if you choose for storage at two location, it still needs to depends on the volumn of stem cells which is able to be extracted. If it is not enough to store at two location, then they will refund back the difference.

This post has been edited by kidzmostwanted: Sep 10 2012, 12:30 AM
??????
post Sep 26 2012, 02:56 PM

Getting Started
58 posts

i juz choose to go for Cryocord as their insurance coverage higher.
the package i took is about RM4200 with auto process.

Didn't go for Stemlife as they store the blood for their customer even they have Hepatitis B infected and their package is most expensive among all.

arthurlwf
post Sep 28 2012, 01:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

QUOTE(?????? @ Sep 26 2012, 02:56 PM)
i juz choose to go for Cryocord as their insurance coverage higher.
the package i took is about RM4200 with auto process.

Didn't go for Stemlife as they store the blood for their customer even they have Hepatitis B infected and their package is most expensive among all.
Btw, why do parent want to keep the baby stem cell?
The stem cell cannot be use for the baby and only can be use for the baby siblings

http://incomingincomingbaby.blogspot.com/2...stem-cells.html

This post has been edited by arthurlwf: Sep 28 2012, 01:14 AM
vioxmonsta
post Oct 1 2012, 10:37 AM

Getting Started
286 posts

QUOTE(arthurlwf @ Sep 28 2012, 01:13 AM)
The stem cell cannot be use for the baby and only can be use for the baby siblings

rclxub.gif
Syd G
post Oct 1 2012, 10:43 AM

Mom. Servant of God.
Group Icon
VIP
8,014 posts

QUOTE(arthurlwf @ Sep 28 2012, 01:13 AM)

It can be used for baby only for cerebral palsy (for now)... and that treatment is experimentational, they often do it in Thailand...

And if the gene is defective (e.g baby has thalassemia or leukimia), even the siblings cant benefit from it.. how lah

arthurlwf
post Oct 2 2012, 11:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Oct 1 2012, 10:43 AM)
It can be used for baby only for cerebral palsy (for now)... and that treatment is experimentational, they often do it in Thailand...

And if the gene is defective (e.g baby has thalassemia or leukimia), even the siblings cant benefit from it.. how lah
WoW.. Thanks for the info...
Honestly, I won't opt for stem cell if I were to view logically.
But emotionally, I may opt for stem cell... and that's why most stem cell company marketing ppl are targeting the fear and hope emotions rclxub.gif rclxub.gif
tammy
post Oct 2 2012, 11:50 AM

Getting Started
100 posts

Dear all,

Just wanted to know is it there are 2 types of components can be stored right? blood and cell? or what? I went to crychord but forgot the packages already. Can anyone explain more to me?
arthurlwf
post Oct 2 2012, 09:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,534 posts

QUOTE(tammy @ Oct 2 2012, 11:50 AM)
Dear all,

Just wanted to know is it there are 2 types of components can be stored right? blood and cell? or what? I went to crychord but forgot the packages already. Can anyone explain more to me?
The video in this link explain very clearly on what is stored.. http://incomingincomingbaby.blogspot.com/2...stem-cells.html
tcs83
post Nov 16 2012, 01:33 PM

39 posts

Sound to me, it's more like an insurance. I do agree that the cases of usage are rare but no one will know whether we will be the "unlucky" one. At least when things happen, there is a slight hope? Moreover, 20 years from now, no one will know how the technology grows, there might be new discovery of benefits/usage....

haha...i'm still considering actually...but sound to me alot said cyrocord better? is there any statistic? I think it's good to see all the agents first...
jilshi
post Nov 17 2012, 07:03 PM

Getting Started
129 posts

that you for all the valuable information
xiaoniu8
post Nov 19 2012, 10:37 AM

Casual
397 posts

After reading all the post, make me really dilemma whether to store my coming daughter stem cell. My 1st child's cord blood was stored with Cryocord at Yr2008.

We are thinking to keep the same with my coming baby. Upon explained by the salesperson, they have "new" package to collect the Mesenchymal stem cells which costs about 15k.

This really make us think twice whether should go for the 15k package, normal 5k hematopoietic stem cells package or just save the money to buy insurance.

Please advise ^^
talexeh
post Dec 9 2012, 01:29 AM

One man's meat is another man's poison.
2,343 posts

Oh my, reading all the conflicting posts really give me a hard time in reaching a conclusive decision. I was thinking of getting some opinions on which of the current 3 companies is the most recommended but ended up being indecisive on whether it's still a sound idea to invest in stem cell storage. sweat.gif
leongal
post Dec 9 2012, 08:13 AM

3,188 posts

We finally engaged with cyrocord for the basic stem cell storage, during the 4th Maternity expo.. Spoken to our gynae over the matter n her advice is to go for 5 vials (the more the better), since cyrocord is the only company with this facility at the current moment, but we decided basd on that... Total package is rm2300(first pymt) +rm2500(20 years) + option of 5 vials (rm500), then they have a baby carrier gift, but since we already got our baby carrier, we decided on the cash option, discount of rm300, overall we paid a lump sum of rm5k

We decided to store bcod hubby is a thallesemia carrier... So there is chance tat our baby will be a carrier too....
nexUp
post Dec 28 2012, 10:37 AM

11 posts

i met with the crycord consultant yesterday, the package got three which is cord blood, cordblood+MSC (2 million) and cordblood + MSC (30 million).

If you only go to cord blood package, the first sign up amount is RM 2300 ( 1 bag) and Rm 2800 (5 vials). Continuely will be RM250 per year (non limited year)

They are package for you until 21 years oled which is ard 5K+ ( The exact amount , u can check with the consulatant).

Regarding the MSC, (kind of jelly storage), you may check/google around as this is quite new for me smile.gif
cierra_tansy
post Jan 4 2013, 10:12 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(leongal @ Dec 9 2012, 09:13 AM)
We finally engaged with cyrocord for the basic stem cell storage, during the 4th Maternity expo.. Spoken to our gynae over the matter n her advice is to go for 5 vials (the more the better), since cyrocord is the only company with this facility at the current moment, but we decided basd on that... Total package is rm2300(first pymt) +rm2500(20 years) + option of 5 vials (rm500), then they have a baby carrier gift, but since we already got our baby carrier, we decided on the cash option, discount of rm300, overall we paid a lump sum of rm5k

We decided to store bcod hubby is a thallesemia carrier... So there is chance tat our baby will be a carrier too....
QUOTE(nexUp @ Dec 28 2012, 11:37 AM)
i met with the crycord consultant yesterday, the package got three which is cord blood, cordblood+MSC (2 million) and cordblood + MSC (30 million).

If you only go to cord blood package, the first sign up amount is RM 2300 ( 1 bag) and Rm 2800 (5 vials). Continuely will be RM250 per year (non limited year)

They are package for you until 21 years oled which is ard 5K+ ( The exact amount , u can check with the consulatant).

Regarding the MSC, (kind of jelly storage), you may check/google around as this is quite new for me smile.gif
Hi Leongal/nexUp/Cryocord subscriber,
Is that RM2800 (5 vials) using AXP automated machine or manual?
leongal
post Jan 4 2013, 11:55 PM

3,188 posts

QUOTE(cierra_tansy @ Jan 4 2013, 10:12 PM)
Hi Leongal/nexUp/Cryocord subscriber,
Is that RM2800 (5 vials) using AXP automated machine or manual?
At the end of the day it depends on your baby's cord quantity of cell.. My baby's lack quantity of cell, thus had to use manually.... They will contact you to tell whether auto or manual
plumberly
post Jan 5 2013, 10:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,940 posts

My 2 cents here. Whether it makes sense or you agree/disagree it is up to you.

Few years back when my wife was about to deliver our 3rd (and final) child, she raised the placenta storage option. Initially, it sounded very good/promising from what I read. Later, decided to ask a friend in one of the forums (who happens to be a doctor) and also my sister's good friend in Aust (who happens to be a doctor as well) on stem cells cryogenic storage. They both suggested not to go for it as the reality on stem cells "cure" is not what one reads in newspapers/magazines/internet.

My other reason for not going for it is, it is also quite expensive and adding salt to injury, stated that they are not liable if their cooling system fails. Read recently that they can also use other cells as stem cells (still in early research).

I am sure there will be a chain of replies disagreeing with me (those who have already done it?). Like I said earlier, just a quick recap of my decision making flow. If I missed the "golden" opportunity, my fault then.

Cheerio.

This post has been edited by plumberly: Jan 5 2013, 04:41 PM
rockdaman
post Jan 7 2013, 02:29 PM

Casual
357 posts

If affordable or spare money then buy. Just my 2 cents.
Josh0027
post Feb 14 2013, 11:54 AM

44 posts

Good morning! Anyone have experience with CellSafe? Are they also okay comparing to CryoCord?
talexeh
post Feb 14 2013, 03:18 PM

2,343 posts

QUOTE(Josh0027 @ Feb 14 2013, 11:54 AM)
Good morning! Anyone have experience with CellSafe? Are they also okay comparing to CryoCord?
To be honest, all of them have horror stories which can be found easily via a simple search on Google. However, based on what I've read, StemLife received the most flak.

I personally consulted CellSafe during a baby fair but the Sales Consultant provided me wrong facts hence I went to Cyrocord instead. sweat.gif
Josh0027
post Feb 14 2013, 05:28 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(talexeh @ Feb 14 2013, 03:18 PM)
To be honest, all of them have horror stories which can be found easily via a simple search on Google. However, based on what I've read, StemLife received the most flak.

I personally consulted CellSafe during a baby fair but the Sales Consultant provided me wrong facts hence I went to Cyrocord instead. sweat.gif
Thanks talexeh! smile.gif I wasn't able to find any info about CellSafe for some reason, maybe need to Google again.

I was able to talk to a CryoCord representative on last year's PISA baby fair and they are very professional in explaining the details to me. CellSafe though is much cheaper.

Yup, StemLife... I've read so much about them that it strained my eyes. I'm definitely avoiding them.
talexeh
post Feb 15 2013, 02:03 AM

2,343 posts

QUOTE(Josh0027 @ Feb 14 2013, 05:28 PM)
Thanks talexeh! smile.gif I wasn't able to find any info about CellSafe for some reason, maybe need to Google again.

I was able to talk to a CryoCord representative on last year's PISA baby fair and they are very professional in explaining the details to me. CellSafe though is much cheaper. 

Yup, StemLife... I've read so much about them that it strained my eyes. I'm definitely avoiding them.
Ooh... PISA eh? I was there as well to inquire about cord blood storage. I went to CellSafe first & then CyroCord. If CellSafe didn't feed me with misinformed facts, I would have gone for them instead of CyroCord. biggrin.gif
abcde90
post Feb 15 2013, 09:54 AM

Getting Started
182 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Jan 5 2013, 10:38 AM)
My 2 cents here. Whether it makes sense or you agree/disagree it is up to you.

Few years back when my wife was about to deliver our 3rd (and final) child, she raised the placenta storage option. Initially, it sounded very good/promising from what I read. Later, decided to ask a friend in one of the forums (who happens to be a doctor) and also my sister's good friend in Aust (who happens to be a doctor as well) on stem cells cryogenic storage. They both suggested not to go for it as the reality on stem cells "cure" is not what one reads in newspapers/magazines/internet.

My other reason for not going for it is, it is also quite expensive and adding salt to injury, stated that they are not liable if their cooling system fails.  Read recently that they can also use other cells as stem cells (still in early research).

I am sure there will be a chain of replies disagreeing with me (those who have already done it?). Like I said earlier, just a quick recap of my decision making flow. If I missed the "golden" opportunity, my fault then.

Cheerio.
The medical pro are still divided on this issue of storing cord blood stem cells. This is largely because it is still under the research phase although some success have been demonstrated. In some countries only public cord banking is available and in Malaysia Pusat darah Negara is offering this servis too on top of the services offered by commercial companies.
storage facilities requires cryogenic facilities + clean rooms for stems cells extraction and processing + tests prior to storage + security services etc etc..This facility shud be just like a medicine manufacturing facilities coz they dun want contamination as well preserving viability of the cells..So cost is playing a big factor in this area.

I belive those who engaged the companies have adress this...hoping Anybody can share
a) whether the company is giving guarentee on the viability And min potency of the stem cell stored? ( viability = dead or alive , potency = min cell required for use)
B) procedure to withdraw the cells for the future i.e tests conducted prior to use

P.s im not from any company offering servis.
Josh0027
post Feb 18 2013, 08:46 AM

44 posts

QUOTE(talexeh @ Feb 15 2013, 02:03 AM)
Ooh... PISA eh? I was there as well to inquire about cord blood storage. I went to CellSafe first & then CyroCord. If CellSafe didn't feed me with misinformed facts, I would have gone for them instead of CyroCord. biggrin.gif
Hmmm... maybe it is different from every sales agent of any company. I was bugging my CryoCord contact on clarifications on their packages. They haven't replied to any of my inquires, even follow-ups. During PISA, they were so accommodating but when it comes to follow-ups they don't answer you back. They need more training on customer service. shakehead.gif

I got the CellSafe package instead. Good thing you reminded me of questioning their packages and so far their answers were satisfactory. No BS. I read their contract and the terms of service is reasonable for me.
Aggie123
post Feb 18 2013, 03:31 PM

2 posts

hi,

Stem cells have the remarkable potential to develop into many different cell types in the body during early life and growth . In addition , i many tissues they serve as a sort of internal repair system's , dividing essentially without limit to replenish other. cells as long as the person or animal is still alive .

This post has been edited by Aggie123: Feb 18 2013, 03:33 PM
foodsolution
post Feb 19 2013, 03:50 PM

4 posts

From my understanding from various souces stemcell works something like this.

Baby A stores stemcell sample A, Baby B stores stemcell sample B. If baby A has Leukemia, baby A can use the stem cell of baby B. Then the sample A has to be discarded as defective, since baby A is proven to develop leukemia.
So 2 stemcells can only be use by 1 individual, if you will only have 1 baby. Probably dont need to store any stemcell since using stem cell by themselves are not viable option as for now.

abcde90
post Feb 19 2013, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
182 posts

QUOTE(Aggie123 @ Feb 18 2013, 03:31 PM)
hi,

Stem cells have the remarkable potential to develop into many different cell types in the body during early life and growth . In  addition , i  many  tissues they serve as a sort of internal repair system's , dividing essentially without limit to replenish other.  cells as long as the person or animal is still alive .
U sure without limit to replenish other cell??
what about dosing?? side effects??
FRIEND2
post Mar 2 2016, 03:29 PM

Getting Started
102 posts

Thank you all for the information given.
Just to reconfirm.... let say I stored A's stem cells. 3 years later, A developed leukemia. Can I use A's stem cell to cure him? Or I need to find other ways eg other matching stem cells for transplantation?? icon_question.gif
thesoothsayer
post Dec 15 2017, 12:28 PM

Enthusiast
768 posts

QUOTE(FRIEND2 @ Mar 2 2016, 03:29 PM)
Thank you all for the information given.
Just to reconfirm.... let say I stored A's stem cells. 3 years later, A developed leukemia. Can I use A's stem cell to cure him? Or I need to find other ways eg other matching stem cells for transplantation?? icon_question.gif
Possible, but doctors prefer to use a donor's stem cell for that according to what I've read.

Basically, private banking is discouraged and even outlawed in some European countries, but sadly, we don't have any public banks in Malaysia that I know of.
swoosh88
post Dec 26 2019, 11:48 PM

34 posts

Dear all, my wife is going to deliver soon. Am thinking of opting for stell cell bank package with either Stemlife or Cryocord. Understand there are 2 main packages - Cordblood and Cordblood and MSC. Still doing my own research/reading online

Any recommendation based on your experience? Thank you
Terence573
post Apr 30 2020, 10:09 AM

wow!!!!!
2,441 posts

This thread had been not active a while,but ive googled bout cord blood and stuff and since im expecting new born in June.Just to add info to this that the salesperson even mention stemcell to fight COVID19 in China.
RAL P
post Jun 10 2020, 02:42 PM

Probation
15 posts

hello guys.. between stem life & cryocord.. which one do you think is more better?

Thanks for the help.
coca^cola
post Jun 17 2020, 11:46 PM

Casual
318 posts

QUOTE(RAL @ Jun 10 2020, 02:42 PM)
hello guys.. between stem life & cryocord.. which one do you think is more better?

Thanks for the help.
I choose cryocord. Call Michelle +60 16-218 5534. I bought 2 1/2 years ago. We still keep contact with each other.

This post has been edited by coca^cola: Jun 17 2020, 11:47 PM
holyleonard
post Jul 30 2020, 06:59 PM

14 posts

I talked to both Stem Life and Cryocord.
Stem life's (17k) package is way cheaper than Cryocord's (21k).
Still not sure who to choose from.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0619sec    1.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th October 2020 - 04:50 PM