Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Stem Cell

views

TSgkl83
post Dec 16 2010, 09:54 PM, updated 14y ago

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

I felt want to understand more about stem cell and store it for my baby...
anyone stored & used stem cell for your baby or your family member before to cure decease?

so far i quoted:
CellSafe, Rm3700 (promotion price), SEPAX device, normal price RM4500 but 10% discount + free stoller with maybank card
StemLife, Rm4750 (promotion price), automated AXP processing
Cryocord, Rm4300 (normal price), normal processing; +RM600 for automated AXP device; +RM500 if store by vials

wondering is it worth to pay the amount to store stem cell up to 20years+, still deciding want to do get this services or not as getting more and more kids facing some deadly decease when first 10 years... the medical fees may cost a bomb... sweat.gif
TSgkl83
post Dec 16 2010, 10:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

seem like no recommended to settle payment one-off for 20 years and rather to pay yearly instead as concerned that company may close down anytime... sweat.gif bcos as i understand the yearly maintenance cost to store stem cell is Rm250+ from CellSafe... hence as u said that the number stemcell may enough up to 10years+, still worth to maintain up to 20 years ?

yup, i also heard that StemLife will provide up to Rm100k as medical fees if required the stem cell for recovery... but the beneficial for baby only or anyone will used the stem cell?
TSgkl83
post Dec 18 2010, 12:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

i agreed some of the points listed by moonrish

1) the stem cell can store for family member for in case the stem cell can cure any decease. as info, it will useful if the stem cell 67% matched with other active cells, so not only limited for kids only... assumed touch wood i facing decease, i still may have the chances to cure my decease easily with my kids' stem cell as it only required 67%, hence my kids and me have the blood relationship, should easier to match... it is better than bone marrow transplant and use adult stem cells which must 100% match, otherwise no talk... hence bone marrow transplant and adult stem cells can cost easily with 5 digits... but stem cells only 4 digits and gurantee pure cell, that why i consider on it recently...

2) as info, the stemlife required at least 200million cells... otherwise they will terminate our account and no going to take the risks if the number cells below than that... hence, will refund the total amount too...

4) i think the staff turnover wasnt the issues as stem cell only process once only and will store into the "freezer -190C" permanently, i dont think the staffs will suka-suka take out our stem cells for fun right? sweat.gif unless there have the doctor's instructions, they will communicate with doctor later ensuring to take stem cell use for what purpose... as heard that once the stem cell left the freezer or stemcell expose to air, they wont accept it again for storage... means stem cell only can use once time only... furthermore, if the stem cells no longer active or insufficient of active cells they will compensate us RM100k and use the money to source from oversea to check any others' ppl stem cell can match with us or not...

be frank, i avoid this stem cell previously as my thought that it was useless, even avoid the stem cell booth when i went to MidValley's baby exhibition last week ago... but as heard some comments from my friends and concerned that getting more and more kids facing deceases, the cost of operation may cost a bomb up to RM100k easily... maybe stem cell can increase the recovery ratio as believe... just like buying one-off insurance...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 18 2010, 01:04 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 10:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

just got accurate info direct from stemcell and cellsafe

1) no idea, as info from stemcell and cellsafe that stemcell can cure leukemia, thalasaemia, myeloma, anemia, malignant lymphoma, and other 75 decease... most of the decease may can cure by medical chemical, but compare with medical chemical & stem cell, should be stem cell safer, faster and cheaper...

2) no matter how many cell u have, it only can use ONCE only... as one of them's stemcell storage bag separate have 80% and 20% portion, 80% take for medical treatment usage and 20% for cloning usage... clone? i questioned is it allowed to clone in Malaysia and they said they had the clone equipments now... hmm... whatever... but how to know the number of cells required for each treatment? if insufficient, how fast they can clone the 20% for more cells? so have any purpose to separate into 80% & 20%? bcos ONCE it remove from freezer, it cant relocated back in freezer anymore... hm... rclxub.gif

actually there have real cases in Malaysia that some of the kids used stemcells to cure their sibling...

maybe Syd G should try to understand it from sales person before give the final conclusion? i'm same as you that very persist to avoid stemcell topics last few weeks ago as need to save money future commitment... finally someone walk in into clinic and giving brief information to my wife, i starting feel it wasnt bad at all and my wife start to enquiry around last week... hence i dont think sales person will "over-commit" as "Proton cars can speed up to 300km/h without sweat" right? sweat.gif definitely i will ask for their contract and read the term & condition in detail for own protection and understand our rights, otherwise will ask lawyer to sue them if they failed to follow the rules... hence may check with doctor whether is the stemcell can cure most of the common deceases or not...

anyway, this is the final pricing i got from Cellxxxx (RM4500) and Stemxxxx (RM4750). both pricing almost the same, used automated processing to get more stemcell, same protection coverages between, no much services differences in between... so my main concern is which company will invest more on better technology equipments in the future bcos it good for stem cells' life span may extended from 30 years to 50 years+ easily, it will benefit also to cure "old man" deceases tongue.gif but it still depend whether the company want to accept "old" stemcell or not as higher risk for more dying cells...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 19 2010, 10:52 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 04:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

i think this little girl face shown in Sin Chew & Guang Ming newspaper...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 19 2010, 04:07 PM
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 08:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 19 2010, 08:28 PM)
What made you think that I didnt get any information from their sales people? wink.gif

according to your previous quote "Btw stem cells dont cure 'any disease'"
but quite impossible that ur sales people didnt tell stem cell can cure certain disease at least right? sweat.gif
unless u means it dont cure ALL disease then i can understand as nothing is prefect loh...
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 09:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(Syd G @ Dec 19 2010, 09:04 PM)
FYI my decision was made on ethical basis, not a medical one.

you means concerned on the "dishonesty" & "greediness" of stem cell company?
TSgkl83
post Dec 19 2010, 10:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 19 2010, 10:01 PM)
It is so not worth it.
BTW my kid's cord blood has just 4 more years to go.

if nothing happen, it may like pieces of rubbish; if something happen, it may worth like a gold mine

mind to share the packages coverage you signed? just for more understanding before make decision...
no going to pay for the annual fees to maintain stem cell after 4 years?

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 19 2010, 10:27 PM
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 11:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 08:53 AM)
huh? my plan was a 10yr plan.
Bro, best you do your research from a scientific point of view plus understanding the level of integrity of Bolehland's businessman.

Looking back, I would have make a better choice by buying an insurance policy for the mother & child instead of buying stemcell storage. I dun see Stem Cell as even an insurance.

BTW why do I get a feeling that you are promoting Stem cell storage?

about the bolehland businessman work style, i look into it as well... i request 2 companies for a copy of their documentation upon signing their packages... bcos i prefer to read thru in detail before sign up... unlucky that one of companies refuse to give a copy, sound fishy may a trap in the future due to the black & white limitation, most probably the company out from my list... i prefer the company with full transparency at least for more understanding about their T&C before sign up...

about insurance, the common insurance that we know have the limitation too, we can't claim unlimited money from insurance company depend the type of packages we signed up... no matter how premium is the insurance packages, still have the limitation... old words, in this reality have something which can't buy with cash no matter how rich we are... even though insurance may a pieces of rubbish too if we have no chances to claim if suddenly "disappear" or healthy enough till dead... insurance just like giving "hope" or "wish" only with limited resources, but it still wasn't a "dream" with unlimited resources...

assumed we bought a medical insurance/life insurance for our new born baby... so unlucky that found out that our kids have the disease which required long term recovery by medical chemical and expensive to afford in the future... if with stem cells, it may fasten the speed of recovery, lower medical cost and lower hassle... in addition, we can claim certain amount from insurance company at the same time for particular decease to cure decease... 1 stone hit 2 birds... smile.gif so stem cell look alike as bio-insurance and common insurance as cash-insurance...

i'm no work for any stem cell company or any my friend working with stem cell company... i also have the commitment on insurances, i trying to squeeze hard for medical insurance now... doh.gif as my past from science educated background and barely understand some biology knowledge... furthermore, bcos i have a nephew-in-law who facing physical problems when new born, eye ball problem (cant see clearly) and deaf (ear problem and caused can't talk as well), but unfortunately they realized that their baby facing's physical problems when 1-2 years old... the medical fees for their daughter stressing them and forced to save & squeeze more for un-predictable medical fees... that why my parents-in-law very concern in insurances... if have the stem cells, maybe still have the recovery possibility to rebuild the cells again without worry much about the future medical fees...

anyway, you can share your story for brainstorming purpose... maybe you have something that i dont know yet... smile.gif

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 20 2010, 11:54 AM
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 12:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

but one of video i posted at 1st page which Malaysia patient case used stem cell and shown in newspaper... or you means the outcomes still no good enough or the probability rate to recover with stem cell still low?

no idea, beside request from cord blood bank... maybe each hospital will store our cord blood by themselves quietly if we didn't request for own bank storage purpose... but how much the cost if we buy cord blood? i don't mind to buy if really need it... but how about the matching probability with other ppl's stem cells? lets assumed again that i said 67% matching will be do, wondering why still many kids under sickness? bcos the expensive medical fees for buying stem cells? or the matching probability should be higher than 67% and minimized the chances?

sorry if offended or asking so much as i prefer understand more about it... i know that sales man always talk with nice statements with over-commitment as i experienced now, end up technical team suffering due to their over-commitment... doh.gif hence they (stem cell company) also invited Amber Chia as their ambassador...hm... so i concerned on company's ethical issues too such as close down, cheating, difficulties to claim fees (Rm100k), etc...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 20 2010, 12:53 PM
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 04:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 02:26 PM)
The probability rate to recover with stem cell still too low unless you or your kid has genetic abnormality.
So it is probably best to see where you should put your hard earn money. Check your kid's genome for any problem. Weigh out your option as to the %age of using that stem cell before it expires vs other forms of insurance.

seem i can sync with your understanding...
i will check with doctor about the recovery rate by stem cells with current technology

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 02:26 PM)
I guess this is going to be the main talking point as to whether it is worth throw money to this people. And ethically, Amber Chia is not the kind of ambassador I would trust, my personal opinion.

ethical issues quite subject to talk about... the company can be the best company for now, but cant guarantee that they wont cheat in the next 10+ years...

anyway, one of company willing to provide a copy for documents for my references, glad that transparency is there... as what we talk about ethical and SLA ("Service Level Agreement" in technical term) come across my mind, i will look onto the copy whether it talking about the respond time for delivery, justify the definition of "dead" / "dying" stem cells in order to compensate RM100k due to their faults, the processes and documentation required for medical fees RM100k claim, etc...

as checked around, one of friend's stem cell infected by virus but no compensation coverage yet that time... believe the technology still no enough mature yet to maintain these "living creature"...
TSgkl83
post Dec 20 2010, 06:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 20 2010, 04:48 PM)
Also I think start-up parents or parents having 1st child tends to be more vulnerable and susceptible to 'salesman talk'

that one of the reason i open this topic for more understanding before "brainwash" by salesman... tongue.gif
but still my wife prefer to store cord blood, she prefer "play safe" rather than "take risk"...

anyway, back to topic. so stem cell cant cure for other decease beside genetic's faults?

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 20 2010, 06:12 PM
TSgkl83
post Dec 22 2010, 07:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

managed to get a copy of agreement, saw one of the clauses said that stem cell company have reserve for the right to assign its rights to any third party without consent of us, but will notify us in writing within 30 days... thought we paid for their services? doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif
TSgkl83
post Dec 23 2010, 12:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 22 2010, 08:57 PM)
can I be clear what you're implying?
are you saying you are
not satisfied with the company you've park your baby's stem cell?
or
You're not a believer of parking stemcell and you've regretted for your action?

i just want to understand why company have the right to use our stem cell even though we paid for their service...
the clause is from the agreement... need to understand more before any sign up...

anyway, as my opinion use vehicles as example, storing stem cell vehicles equipped with Air Bag / Anti-lock Brake System and hence with accident insurance for personal as well... for in case accidents happened, Air Bag / ABS system may save our life even though managed to claim compensate/medical fees from insurance company, no point to claim compensate/medical fees if dead... for those very careful driver, Air Bag / ABS system will be useless since the probability of accidents will be quite low... but still most of modern vehicles must equipped with this system for unpredictable incidents...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Dec 23 2010, 01:13 PM
TSgkl83
post Dec 24 2010, 10:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,377 posts

QUOTE(moorish @ Dec 23 2010, 10:31 PM)
No they do not have the rights to use our stem cell, we can sue them kao kao if they do.
In singapore you dun have to store stem cell privately, they've a national cord banking free for all their citizen, in malaysia we have to take care of ourselves, gomen dun provide this service.

bcos i see the agreement showing the clause and no write in detail why they want to do so...

as heard singapore having high taxation for variety future benefits (such as local KWSP and SOSCO), maybe part of taxation used for medical usage (store stem cells) as well... maybe malaysia due to low taxation and improper arrangement for the funds...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0173sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:16 PM