129 Pages « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »  
RSS feedBump TopicClosed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Astro B.yond, HD Content Available

kaspersky-fan
post Dec 12 2009, 12:51 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

oh it takes so long to get astro byond....? then good news for me... if it comes before 21st...i'm gonna be so dead...exam is up and i will not be able to concentrate tongue.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ecam
post Dec 12 2009, 01:28 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(moomoos @ Dec 12 2009, 07:57 AM)
bro....better check out properly 1st....

if you subscribe to HD channel, your old card will be diasbled cause you only have one account to switch over

if you want to keep the old one you must have 2 accounts, means double the $$$
Yep.

QUOTE(pirateguy @ Dec 12 2009, 08:08 AM)
Why would a 1080p TV would not be as good as a 720p TV when watching 720p channel? Both are having the same aspect ratio.
QUOTE(-kytz- @ Dec 12 2009, 10:23 AM)
I'm just concerned that some of the movies in HBO are not even in original HD resolution.But they will be upscaled?
not even in original HD resolution? You mean 720p? or 576i? then it will be upscaled.

QUOTE(ycs @ Dec 12 2009, 10:35 AM)
IMHO, its not worth paying for HD channels except for ardent sports viewers. the other channel content are mostly repeats and are good enough as SD.

the other issue is whether the HD content is upscaled from SD?
Nope. HD content will come from HD content. Upscale has its limit.

QUOTE(kelvin @ Dec 12 2009, 10:48 AM)
Wonder the RJ45 (network) port is for what purpose ?
Just call up ASTRO, extra decoder have to pay RM20 per month as well. Meaning, if you have 2nd decoder (which you pay half of the master unit subscription fee), you need to pay extra RM40/month.  rclxub.gif
Think it like this. You're rent the box actually. It has lifetime warranty and u need to surrender it back when u stop subscribe just like screamyx. Read the fine print. Its there.

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Dec 12 2009, 11:58 AM)
So far any other review?

Wonder able to share this decoder with 2 TV or not? hmm.gif
Can share with 3 TV actually. 1 HDMI, 1 composite and 1 component or you can buy HDMI splitter which cause about rm300 cheapest to rm800 a good one which can split to 4 TV from 1 box and all using HDMI. The only issue is getting the long HDMI cable which would be costly. And you can watch World Cup HD all in its glory while answering nature call.

+Quote Post
DarkNite
post Dec 12 2009, 02:31 PM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ

QUOTE(ecam @ Dec 12 2009, 01:28 PM)
Yep.
not even in original HD resolution? You mean 720p? or 576i? then it will be upscaled.
Nope. HD content will come from HD content. Upscale has its limit.
Think it like this. You're rent the box actually. It has lifetime warranty and u need to surrender it back when u stop subscribe just like screamyx. Read the fine print. Its there.
Can share with 3 TV actually. 1 HDMI, 1 composite and 1 component or you can buy HDMI splitter which cause about rm300 cheapest to rm800 a good one which can split to 4 TV from 1 box and all using HDMI. The only issue is getting the long HDMI cable which would be costly. And you can watch World Cup HD all in its glory while answering nature call.
I wonder will the other channel quality be upscale by the box or the signal be better even during heavy clouds cover aka heavy rain?
Can share with 3 TV actually &or with HDMI splitter , thanks but how about control?
+Quote Post
neb
post Dec 12 2009, 02:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!

ds830 from pace does not seem to be PVR capable
http://www.pace.com/corporate/products/pro...dType=DSAT#DSAT

so will astro introduce another record-capable sat receiver, such as Pace TDS865?

+Quote Post
spikey2506
post Dec 12 2009, 03:43 PM

Professional Bum

Anybody can recommend me a good panel below 2K? 3K would do too, but needs a lot of thinking and budgeting first. Below 2K would get me max 720p, but good enough I guess for Astro HD. I'm really tempted by BPL, World Cup and NatGeo in HD.
+Quote Post
pirateguy
post Dec 12 2009, 03:53 PM

Regular

QUOTE(spikey2506 @ Dec 12 2009, 03:43 PM)
Anybody can recommend me a good panel below 2K? 3K would do too, but needs a lot of thinking and budgeting first. Below 2K would get me max 720p, but good enough I guess for Astro HD. I'm really tempted by BPL, World Cup and NatGeo in HD.
Can we leave out discussion about what HDTV to get ? There is plenty of such thread under Home Entertainment. This thread is about Astro HD.
+Quote Post
neb
post Dec 12 2009, 03:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!

the introduction of astroB.yond definitely spur recovery of economy, people are lining up to purchase HDTV

for the potential HDTV buyer, just go out and view the HDTV demo yourself, then pick the one you like most, they are now priced very attractively

+Quote Post
Skylinestar
post Dec 12 2009, 04:07 PM

Mega Duck

QUOTE(neb @ Dec 12 2009, 02:39 PM)
ds830 from pace does not seem to be PVR capable
http://www.pace.com/corporate/products/pro...dType=DSAT#DSAT

so will astro introduce another record-capable sat receiver, such as Pace TDS865?
why u mention pace? astro stb made from pace? or you know where to buy pace?
+Quote Post
neb
post Dec 12 2009, 04:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Dec 12 2009, 04:07 PM)
why u mention pace? astro stb made from pace? or you know where to buy pace?
Post #286

This post has been edited by neb: Dec 12 2009, 04:27 PM
+Quote Post
ahhazazi
post Dec 12 2009, 07:02 PM

Getting Started

Just got back from an astro center. According to the CS over there, actually they planned to launch the HD next year, but then they canceled it and launch this year due to another provider also wants to launch HD service. Dont know which provider actually. Do we have another provider??

When i asked which provider the CS refuse to tell me and told me to read in the news instead. I guess Astro just wanna be the 1st.. hehe...
+Quote Post
sharpman
post Dec 12 2009, 07:13 PM

Casual

QUOTE(ahhazazi @ Dec 12 2009, 07:02 PM)
Just got back from an astro center. According to the CS over there, actually they planned to launch the HD next year, but then they canceled it and launch  this year due to another provider also wants to launch HD service. Dont know which provider actually. Do we have another provider??

When i asked which provider the CS refuse to tell me and told me to read in the news instead. I guess Astro just wanna be the 1st.. hehe...
I am quite sure the provider is TM. With their HSBB + IPTV currently in Friendy User Testing phase and commercial launch in March/April 2010. smile.gif
+Quote Post
shahzad86
post Dec 12 2009, 07:33 PM

Getting Started

Called up Astro customer service to apply, supposed to get a call in 24hrs.

They did inform me the contents are limited for each HD channel. Which means there won't as much movies as in normal HBO.

I dun expect much anyways. Cant wait for the HD quality though happy.gif
+Quote Post
ahhazazi
post Dec 12 2009, 07:46 PM

Getting Started

Got one question, just now tried the b.yond at astro center and realize the PQ was good for HD but when i change to SD channel it seems that the aspect ratio was wrong. Got two black bars left and right. Tried to change the aspect ratio using astro remote but its not working. Do we have to live with these 2 black bars??
+Quote Post
kaspersky-fan
post Dec 12 2009, 08:06 PM

Regular

the aspect ratio is correct because SD channels are all broadcasted 4:3 for astro...of course there are some rare exception when the content is 16:9 they still broadcast it as 4:3...

btw, where is the astro center with byond? i want to go check out the demo too~!
+Quote Post
Qash-M
post Dec 12 2009, 08:08 PM

7168 ftw

QUOTE(ahhazazi @ Dec 12 2009, 07:46 PM)
Got one question, just now tried the b.yond at astro center and realize the PQ was good for HD but when i change to SD channel it seems that the aspect ratio was wrong. Got two black bars left and right. Tried to change the aspect ratio using astro remote but its not working. Do we have to live with these 2 black bars??
Well, if TV broadcast doesn't aired by proper 16:9 instead of letterbox 4:3, it'll be good enough.. unsure.gif

Refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_box_(film)

This post has been edited by Qash-M: Dec 12 2009, 08:17 PM
+Quote Post
ahhazazi
post Dec 12 2009, 08:21 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kaspersky-fan @ Dec 12 2009, 08:06 PM)
the aspect ratio is correct because SD channels are all broadcasted 4:3 for astro...of course there are some rare exception when the content is 16:9 they still broadcast it as 4:3...

btw, where is the astro center with byond? i want to go check out the demo too~!
so if i were to view the SD channels, i have to view with the two black bars la?? Now thats just annoying!

hehe.. i'm in Kota bharu, the demo unit at KB astro center...
+Quote Post
tepetlah
post Dec 12 2009, 08:22 PM

Casual

i'll subscribe this monday...top up another rm20 /month is worth it...
+Quote Post
senghuat_tv
post Dec 12 2009, 08:27 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(soulquarianz @ Dec 12 2009, 11:31 AM)
the usb means we can attach a USB HDD and records? coz i saw REC words on the decoder?
it can attach a usb HDD to records is for sure.but not normal Hdd selling at the market. you have to bought from Astro.
+Quote Post
RViN
post Dec 12 2009, 09:03 PM

There Is Only One United

Stupid thing is that if you only have the sports package, you will get 2 HD channels but still have to fork out RM20 monthly.

Astro.... Money grabbing cunts!
+Quote Post
pirateguy
post Dec 12 2009, 09:09 PM

Regular

QUOTE(ahhazazi @ Dec 12 2009, 08:21 PM)
so if i were to view the SD channels, i have to view with the two black bars la?? Now thats just annoying!

hehe.. i'm in Kota bharu, the demo unit at KB astro center...
Of course lah. Even current Astro shows two black bars unless you set your tv to stretch. This has all to do with the 4:3 aspect ratio commonly used on most SD transmission. doh.gif
+Quote Post

129 Pages « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0663sec    0.88    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 04:31 AM