Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Shoes for (real) men

views

Kelvw
post Jan 23 2021, 06:26 PM

Regular
1,554 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ Jan 23 2021, 09:22 AM)
I see. Normally what do u guys use to strip off the polish and wax for redoing? Wash with saddle soap ok?
I just use Saphir Reno'Mat to remove the polish and then recondition the leather with Saphir Renovateur cream after. I've not used saddle soap as my shoes don't get that dirty. It's maintained weekly so no deep cleaning required biggrin.gif
niakulah
post Feb 11 2021, 05:08 PM

Senior Artisan
1,172 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 18 2014, 04:15 PM)
[attachmentid=3857933]

First day in my new Loake Hastings
This faithful pair will complete their 7th year with me soon.
Attached Image

It spent a bit more than a year under a rubber topy before I went au naturel. Toe tip was switched to rubber. Heel toplift has been replaced 4 times. Laces have been replaced twice.

Attached Image

Welt is coming apart at the join. Slightly disappointed that there even is a join in this location. This is not a 360 degree welt construction, they could have easily used a single piece of welt from heel to heel. But...cost cutting.
Attached Image
Attached Image

A few years back Mr Minit told me they can do a Goodyear welt sole replacement and that they will replace the welt as part of the process. Soon I will have to see how good a job they can actually do.
yehlai
post Mar 6 2021, 08:44 PM

tree lover
4,274 posts

Anyone buy Saphir from here before?

Saphir Crème cuirs Gras I bought is water base rather than oil base.. is that normal?

This post has been edited by yehlai: Mar 6 2021, 10:09 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
yehlai
post Mar 14 2021, 09:08 PM

tree lover
4,274 posts

Japan bespoke

westlife
post Mar 27 2021, 12:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,609 posts

user posted image
phrozenheart
post Apr 1 2021, 10:07 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ Jan 20 2021, 12:46 PM)
guys have a question regarding shoe maintenance.
If I have already wax and mirror shine nicely the shoe, what would be the maintenance steps?
Do i give the whole shoe a good brush(this will remove the mirror shine right?), then just repeat renovateur, waxing, polish and mirror shine again?
Would it accumulate too much wax at the mirror shine area?
How often to do this?
If you already have a mirror shine, a goat hair brush is soft enough daily to remove dust without ruining the mirror shine.

If your mirror shine has been on the shoe for quite some time, the leather may need nourishment/conditioning but don't want to remove the whole base, can use the Saphir Gentle Cleaner to maintain the base of your mirror shine and open the pores to accept conditioner/cream/wax and then mirror shine again.

If you don't do this just because the mirror shine didn't crack, so happen the mirror shine is left there for months or long intervals before you remove the whole mirror shine to start over, the leather may dry out/crack. It is like girls putting nail polish on nails without removing them to let the nails breathe.
phrozenheart
post Apr 1 2021, 10:15 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(yehlai @ Mar 6 2021, 10:44 PM)
Anyone buy Saphir from here before?

Saphir Crème cuirs Gras I bought is water base rather than oil base.. is that normal?
Just came across this and would like to clarify - oils used in shoe care products are refined differently to be absorbed into the leather. Hence, it wouldn't feel like the normal cooking oil or motor oil that feels greasy and can't penetrate the leather. Saphir sole guard is made 100% vegetable oil, if it is like the cooking vegetable oil we know many would have slipped, fell down and sued Saphir.
yehlai
post Apr 3 2021, 01:44 AM

tree lover
4,274 posts

QUOTE(phrozenheart @ Apr 1 2021, 10:15 AM)
Just came across this and would like to clarify - oils used in shoe care products are refined differently to be absorbed into the leather. Hence, it wouldn't feel like the normal cooking oil or motor oil that feels greasy and can't penetrate the leather. Saphir sole guard is made 100% vegetable oil, if it is like the cooking vegetable oil we know many would have slipped, fell down and sued Saphir.
The shoe cream works very well on my Chromexcel
will definitely visit again
titan
post Apr 6 2021, 02:21 PM

Getting Started
182 posts

hi all. can i get some advice on meermin shoes, pls?

planning to get this shoe from them for Raya.

https://meermin.com/products/101509-brown-suede-e

1. sizing. i don't have many non sneakers.. but if anyone can help guide me?

my sizing for sneakers
Nike - UK7.5
Adidas UB - UK8
Yeezy - UK8.5
Artisan Lab - 41 (a bit loose. perhaps I should have sized down half/ 1)

for shoes / boots
earnest - size 41
RW moc toe - US7
Wolverine 1K miles boots - US7

2. shipping duration - im assuming it will take around 2 weeks to arrive?

3. tax - standard tax applies? 10% SST + mgmt fee?

Thank you!
davg28 P
post Apr 19 2021, 02:42 PM

Probation
20 posts

I've always worn only sneakers because they are comfortable, easy to choose, and I've worn them for a really long time. But now I like other shoes more and more, like Chelsi. They are comfortable and look very stylish. Also, sneakers don't always fit. 
DanialTan1990
post May 4 2021, 12:37 PM

Getting Started
138 posts

Are you guys downsize or true to size when buying Red Wing boot?
dr_farnz
post May 7 2021, 01:11 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(DanialTan1990 @ May 4 2021, 12:37 PM)
Are you guys downsize or true to size when buying Red Wing boot?
As for me half size down
dr_farnz
post May 7 2021, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Feb 11 2021, 05:08 PM)
This faithful pair will complete their 7th year with me soon.
Attached Image

It spent a bit more than a year under a rubber topy before I went au naturel. Toe tip was switched to rubber. Heel toplift has been replaced 4 times. Laces have been replaced twice.

Attached Image

Welt is coming apart at the join. Slightly disappointed that there even is a join in this location. This is not a 360 degree welt construction, they could have easily used a single piece of welt from heel to heel. But...cost cutting.
Attached Image
Attached Image

A few years back Mr Minit told me they can do a Goodyear welt sole replacement and that they will replace the welt as part of the process. Soon I will have to see how good a job they can actually do.
Which mister minit outlet that can do that gyw sole replacement job? I would like to get mine done soon.
yehlai
post May 8 2021, 03:22 PM

tree lover
4,274 posts

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0287sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 12th May 2021 - 03:33 AM