QUOTE(uncleJ @ Jun 1 2009, 10:41 AM)
Hi guys, read the thread, just wanted to clarify something.
I got streamyx at home already, I do my heavy downloading on that. I just want an additional connection to use at work (will be used on personal laptop), because the office is heavily firewalled and block everything: no youtube, no facebook, no bursa saham, no checking out rental/real estate websites, etc... very restrictive.
From what I read, the daily prepaid broadband plan sounds what I want. I'll most likely be using it to surf 2-3 hours at the office each day during lunch and a few minutes here and there between meetings.
I already have a laptop. So I'm guessing I need to buy a USB modem before I can go buy the starter pack for the Celcom prepaid broadband, right? I'm not interested in using 3G phone as modem - I already have a phone and don't plan to change it.
So I figure my costs will be:
(1) USB modem... recommended models? price?
(2) the starter pack for Celcom prepaid broadband
(3) I'll probably be using the weekly plan ($20), this means $20 x 4 = $80 per month, correct?
That's all I need right? At least that's the impression I got after going through this thread and the Celcom links. Problem is I don't know anyone who's using this service so I dunno what to expect.
1. Any hsdpa usb modems will do the job. Price starting from rm200 and above on Garage Sales thread. Most Common ones are Huawei brand that of e220 and the K series. K series allow you to slot a microSD (thus a modem that acts as your thumbdrive too) Oh, try to find the ones which are unlocked (meaning, you can use them with any telcos if you decide to switch ISP in the future)
Examples of modems, check it below :here
you can click his siggy to see different types of modems on sale.
2. Starter Pack of Celcom Broadband Prepaid is RM25 for a rm20 airtime credit.
3. Yup, correct and the weekly plan comes with a 2GB limit plan.
p/s : my office is heavily firewalled too and blocks almost everything which has become ridiculous. lol.