Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Tailoring Thread, Bespoke. Nothing beats a perfect fit

views

Vryon
post Oct 4 2012, 04:56 PM

<The Geeky Short Boy>
935 posts

Anyone can recommend good tailors that do nice alter in penang ? Possible they have machine that do chainstitch as well. smile.gif
Grooveride
post Oct 10 2012, 06:03 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(Vryon @ Oct 4 2012, 04:56 PM)
Anyone can recommend good tailors that do nice alter in penang ? Possible they have machine that do chainstitch as well. smile.gif
If you do find any, please do let me know as well. I've always had to have my pants hemmed and have yet to meet any tailor which can alter without any problems.

Added on October 10, 2012, 6:19 pmGuys,

I am planning on getting a suit made and I have come to gather from the other pinned thread that we should avoid sourcing the fabric directly from the tailor, so I just need some leads to where I can get the fabric that I want.

I think it should be a fairly straightforward as I am only looking for a plain wool fabrics. I am more on the budget side of things and therefore looking at something that gives good value for money.

Besides British Fabrics, where else can I source my fabric from?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Grooveride: Oct 11 2012, 11:06 PM
hochimama
post Oct 10 2012, 08:16 PM

Getting Started
81 posts

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/royaltex10?ssPag...ME:L:OU:AU:1181
!gent's
post Oct 10 2012, 09:33 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

this linen fabric is considered dirt cheap, no?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...n#ht_2320wt_698

Japanese Zakka PLAIN Natural Cotton Linen Fabric - CT1 55%Linen 45%Cotton
£2.95

Listed price is for 1 unit: 50cm x 46cm(19.6" x 18", 1/6 meter)

user posted image

Saigo
post Oct 12 2012, 01:01 AM

Traveller
635 posts

Hey guys, is linen popular as a fabric here in Malaysia? I'm looking to get a linen suit.

Do tailors normally stock linen fabric for suits? If you guys could point me to the right direction, that'd be great!

This post has been edited by Saigo: Oct 12 2012, 01:08 AM
Alvin Saw
post Oct 12 2012, 08:39 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(Saigo @ Oct 12 2012, 01:01 AM)
Hey guys, is linen popular as a fabric here in Malaysia? I'm looking to get a linen suit.

Do tailors normally stock linen fabric for suits? If you guys could point me to the right direction, that'd be great!
Normally tailors will have few sample book for customer to have a look at it.. Linen is famous in casual look.. Linen suit with hand stitching on the lapel will looks better. smile.gif

Added on October 12, 2012, 8:48 pm
QUOTE(notorious_guest @ Sep 28 2012, 09:06 AM)
as shown by the arrow...
user posted image
The 'darts' at in front of the suit is to make the front of the suit looks slimmer, more like slim fitted cutting. Usually most of the suit will have the darts at the front of the suit, but is alright if without the darts if your tailor do fitting for your suit.

This post has been edited by Alvin Saw: Oct 12 2012, 08:48 PM
Saigo
post Oct 12 2012, 11:43 PM

Traveller
635 posts

QUOTE(Alvin Saw @ Oct 12 2012, 08:39 PM)
Normally tailors will have few sample book for customer to have a look at it.. Linen is famous in casual look.. Linen suit with hand stitching on the lapel will looks better.  smile.gif
Thanks for the tip! I'll drop by Ah Loke tomorrow and see what he has. smile.gif
clearoldstock
post Oct 13 2012, 12:18 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

Hello people. I am planning to get a formal wear for a young man. Aged 21 years old. He ought to attend some formal event soon and needs a formal wear.

I have to admit that my family is less educated about style and fashion. So forgive my shortcoming. All these while, we would just simply buy a long sleeve shirt from Jusco/Isetan/Parkson off the shelves and wear it for formal events like wedding etc etc.

As for the young man, he is the youngest generation and I think he should dress to kill and make an impression for employers and peers. Competitive age it is.

So, senseis/taylors out there, mind if answer some of my doubts?

1. How many garments he needs to shop from top to bottom for a formal event? I only know terms like a suit(top)? a slack(pants)? and a dress shoe.

2. How much is the budget for a young man? I did some reading and many said it depends on the material. But I dont even know what material to use. Do suggest a suitable one for a first timer young man.

3. How long it takes to produce 1 set from top to bottom?

4. Most importantly, which taylor to go for? Ruth or Bespoke or Binwani or *insert* ? Once again, I am trusting the majority's judgement as the situation is like asking a lawyer(me) to plough the earth(farmer's profession). Totally clueless!

Thanks in advance.
artshunter
post Oct 17 2012, 08:25 PM

28 posts

Hey guys,
For suit, pants or shirt alteration, this might help.
Located at SS15, Subang Jaya
http://www.alterclothes.portfoliobox.net/
Terrorsquad
post Oct 30 2012, 11:57 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(clearoldstock @ Oct 13 2012, 12:18 PM)
Hello people. I am planning to get a formal wear for a young man. Aged 21 years old. He ought to attend some formal event soon and needs a formal wear.

I have to admit that my family is less educated about style and fashion. So forgive my shortcoming. All these while, we would just simply buy a long sleeve shirt from Jusco/Isetan/Parkson off the shelves and wear it for formal events like wedding etc etc.

As for the young man, he is the youngest generation and I think he should dress to kill and make an impression for employers and peers. Competitive age it is.

So, senseis/taylors out there, mind if answer some of my doubts?

1. How many garments he needs to shop from top to bottom for a formal event? I only know terms like a suit(top)? a slack(pants)? and a dress shoe.

2. How much is the budget for a young man? I did some reading and many said it depends on the material. But I dont even know what material to use. Do suggest a suitable one for a first timer young man.

3. How long it takes to produce 1 set from top to bottom?

4. Most importantly, which taylor to go for? Ruth or Bespoke or  Binwani or *insert* ? Once again, I am trusting the majority's judgement as the situation is like asking a lawyer(me) to plough the earth(farmer's profession). Totally clueless!

Thanks in advance.
When you say formal wear, do you mean a black tie event or just a plain suit that can also be used for work?Asking because I note the fact you stated that you want the guy to 'dress to kill and make an impression for employers and peers'.

If you could clarify this point would be great.
Iansyze
post Nov 2 2012, 04:46 AM

2 posts

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to where one may procure suiting fabrics from Holland and Sherry or H.Lesser? Online or around the Klang Valley. Much appreciated.
Terrorsquad
post Nov 4 2012, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Iansyze @ Nov 2 2012, 04:46 AM)
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to where one may procure suiting fabrics from Holland and Sherry or H.Lesser? Online or around the Klang Valley. Much appreciated.
A few tailors carry the H.Lesser swatch books, one of them being Ah Loke Tailor on Jalan Yap Ah Shak. An alternative would be to email suitablebritishfabrics@gmail.com for any inquiries on H.Lesser in Malaysia.

Holland & Sherry is carried by most tailors in Malaysia. Remnants are available on British Fabrics on Ebay.
Iansyze
post Nov 4 2012, 10:43 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(Terrorsquad @ Nov 4 2012, 10:05 PM)
A few tailors carry the H.Lesser swatch books, one of them being Ah Loke Tailor on Jalan Yap Ah Shak. An alternative would be to email suitablebritishfabrics@gmail.com for any inquiries on H.Lesser in Malaysia.

Holland & Sherry is carried by most tailors in Malaysia. Remnants are available on British Fabrics on Ebay.
I see. Much appreciated for the information! Planning to procure some cloth from the infamous Cloth Baron when I get back to KL wink.gif . Also just read recently on another forum that I should be quite careful though and resist temptation. Apparently; he is quite the purveryor of fine things! brows.gif
epsonstylux
post Nov 5 2012, 12:26 AM

I said "Good Day!"
1,079 posts

hi guys, i want to alter my ralph lauren polo shirt.

i hate the flappy backside, want to alter it. any tailor can do a good job near PJ?
Zelz92
post Nov 5 2012, 05:53 PM

Casual
365 posts

QUOTE(Saigo @ Oct 12 2012, 01:01 AM)

My tailor told me that linen is more to garden function. It wear out faster than wool and cotton. I would go for summer weight wool suit.

Added on November 5, 2012, 5:58 pm
QUOTE(Grooveride @ Oct 10 2012, 06:03 PM)
If you do find any, please do let me know as well. I've always had to have my pants hemmed and have yet to meet any tailor which can alter without any problems.

Added on October 10, 2012, 6:19 pmGuys,
I am planning on getting a suit made and I have come to gather from the other pinned thread that we should avoid sourcing the fabric directly from the tailor, so I just need some leads to where I can get the fabric that I want.

I think it should be a fairly straightforward as I am only looking for a plain wool fabrics. I am more on the budget side of things and therefore looking at something that gives good value for money.

Besides British Fabrics, where else can I source my fabric from?
Thanks.
Italian fabric? Mohair?

Added on November 5, 2012, 6:02 pm
QUOTE(chuakz @ Sep 11 2012, 02:38 AM)
damn....i bough a jacket off the rack that has working buttonholes...or what is known as surgeon's cuff....and i didn't know it would be such a hassle to alter them? Anybody has any experience? urgent!
If you want to alter the sleeve to make it shorter, they'll have to do it from the shoulder. That makes the alteration expensive.

Added on November 5, 2012, 6:05 pm
QUOTE(!gent's @ Sep 26 2012, 12:06 AM)
How much was this cost you?
Exactly 1K. 850 after discount.

This post has been edited by Zelz92: Nov 5 2012, 06:05 PM
ClericKilla
post Nov 5 2012, 06:15 PM

Regular
1,638 posts

Weee, just went to measure my body for my suit.
Hopefully will look as fit as him

user posted image
Zelz92
post Nov 5 2012, 06:19 PM

Casual
365 posts

Looking forward to make earth tone red cotton sports jacket brows.gif

Added on November 5, 2012, 6:23 pm
QUOTE(ClericKilla @ Nov 5 2012, 06:15 PM)
Weee, just went to measure my body for my suit.
Hopefully will look as fit as him

user posted image
If this is the first time you working with the tailor, don't expect to high. Fit is very personal. The tailor may think this look great in you, but you may have different picture of fit.

Btw, saw the Midnight Blue tux. Looks good drool.gif

This post has been edited by Zelz92: Nov 5 2012, 06:23 PM
ClericKilla
post Nov 5 2012, 06:29 PM

Regular
1,638 posts

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 5 2012, 06:19 PM)
Looking forward to make earth tone red cotton sports jacket brows.gif

Added on November 5, 2012, 6:23 pm
If this is the first time you working with the tailor, don't expect to high. Fit is very personal. The tailor may think this look great in you, but you may have different picture of fit.

Btw, saw the Midnight Blue tux. Looks good drool.gif
Dont know what she gonna do for me but will be going there at 9th nov to check body then again on next 2 weeks. I want those side to properly fit my skinny type body.
Zelz92
post Nov 5 2012, 06:33 PM

Casual
365 posts

QUOTE(ClericKilla @ Nov 5 2012, 06:29 PM)
Dont know what she gonna do for me but will be going there at 9th nov to check body then again on next 2 weeks. I want those side to properly fit my skinny type body.
If you're skinny, they'll have to balance your upper side body (shoulder) with your waist. If it's to skinny on the waist it'll look cartoon-ish. Good tailor will know how to balance. good luck fitting & wish you have the fit that you want. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by Zelz92: Nov 5 2012, 06:35 PM
ClericKilla
post Nov 5 2012, 06:49 PM

Regular
1,638 posts

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 5 2012, 06:33 PM)
If you're skinny, they'll have to balance your upper side body (shoulder) with your waist. If it's to skinny on the waist it'll look cartoon-ish. Good tailor will know how to balance. good luck fitting & wish you have the fit that you want. thumbup.gif
i hope they dont add pads on the shoulder. sometimes it makes the suit looks fat

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0471sec    2.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd February 2020 - 01:08 PM