Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Tailoring Thread, Bespoke. Nothing beats a perfect fit

views

Zelz92
post Nov 5 2012, 07:25 PM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(ClericKilla @ Nov 5 2012, 07:15 PM)
Yeah man, I thought it was expensive until you guys talked about making suit 1-2k last few pages.

Any ways I dont mind RM450 even its cheap as long as she can get me my right size.

Thanks biggrin.gif
What kind of fabric?
ClericKilla
post Nov 5 2012, 08:14 PM

Regular
1,778 posts

QUOTE(dwin95 @ Nov 5 2012, 07:20 PM)
where is it?! including materials?
Including materials as in what?

RM 450 = tailoring suit and pants for u straight.

in Penang.

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 5 2012, 07:25 PM)
What kind of fabric?
I dont know which type cos I went for measurement she did ask la. I was feeling some of it, will tell you on 9th Nov ok? biggrin.gif

Will ask all properly that time.
Zelz92
post Nov 6 2012, 12:50 AM

Casual
366 posts

Anyone know where can I find true bespoke tailor? And not made to measure
Terrorsquad
post Nov 6 2012, 01:27 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 5 2012, 07:06 PM)
2. Depend on type of fabric. Ranging from 900 and up. Metarial: Wool, Silk, Linen, Cotton, Synthetic etc. I would suggest a wool for the first suit (less wrinkle, last longer than linen) If you live in hot climate choose a lighter fabric. Use summer weight fabric that has looser woven yarn.

3. 8-10 weeks, and 80 hours of tailoring.

I would never ever recommend linen or cotton for a black tie event. They are cloths that are suitable for casual/informal wear.

And I'm very sure that unless you mean one of the Savile Row houses or one of those Neapolitan tailors/houses like Rubinacci, Panico, Fomosa etc, no tailor in the whole of South East Asia spends 80 hours on your suit. Even most Savile Row houses dont spend that much time on making a suit.

This post has been edited by Terrorsquad: Nov 6 2012, 01:28 AM
Zelz92
post Nov 6 2012, 01:56 AM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(Terrorsquad @ Nov 6 2012, 01:27 AM)
I would never ever recommend linen or cotton for a black tie event. They are cloths that are suitable for casual/informal wear.

And I'm very sure that unless you mean one of the Savile Row houses or one of those Neapolitan tailors/houses like Rubinacci, Panico, Fomosa etc, no tailor in the whole of South East Asia spends 80 hours on your suit. Even most Savile Row houses dont spend that much time on making a suit.
Agree, linen is for casual garden function.
xDjWanNabex
post Nov 6 2012, 09:11 AM

Enthusiast
931 posts

Hi guys, just want to know how much to expect when going to a tailor for a suit. Got my graduation coming up next month, so i need to get a nice suit for my self.

I live at bsar, so might stop by one of the many tailors there, but just want to get a heads up on how much to expect. Dont want to enter and be baffled by the prices they throw at me..lol

How do i choose a good one? Im a little large in size, and pointers and how to make the suit as to make me look slightly smaller ( not so big )

thanks guys!
Zelz92
post Nov 6 2012, 07:00 PM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(xDjWanNabex @ Nov 6 2012, 09:11 AM)
Hi guys, just want to know how much to expect when going to a tailor for a suit. Got my graduation coming up next month, so i need to get a nice suit for my self.

I live at bsar, so might stop by one of the many tailors there, but just want to get a heads up on how much to expect. Dont want to enter and be baffled by the prices they throw at me..lol

How do i choose a good one? Im a little large in size, and pointers and how to make the suit as to make me look slightly smaller ( not so big )

thanks guys!
Expect 4 figure price

Added on November 6, 2012, 7:07 pmGoing to town visiting the tailor. Asking for a nice blue white (small) hounds tooth cotton fabric. set me 2k for a jacket. shakehead.gif

This post has been edited by Zelz92: Nov 6 2012, 07:14 PM
Terrorsquad
post Nov 6 2012, 10:55 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 6 2012, 07:00 PM)
Expect 4 figure price

Added on November 6, 2012, 7:07 pmGoing to town visiting the tailor. Asking for a nice blue white (small) hounds tooth cotton fabric. set me 2k for  a jacket.  shakehead.gif
What fabric did you choose?It would be normal if you chose a Zegna or Loro Piana though.
putterbit
post Nov 6 2012, 11:15 PM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(xDjWanNabex @ Nov 6 2012, 09:11 AM)

thanks guys!
Wardrobe bangsar...great service and decent enough for ur 1st suit without the need of alot of input...not perfect for a purist i guess but at least they don't make you a laughing stock. If I remember correctly its 2.6k for a 2 piece mix wool suit. 3k-ish for pure wool...unlimited fitting session...just dropby and talk to them...
Zelz92
post Nov 6 2012, 11:40 PM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(Terrorsquad @ Nov 6 2012, 10:55 PM)
What fabric did you choose?It would be normal if you chose a Zegna or Loro Piana though.
I think it's Savile Row on the cover.
Terrorsquad
post Nov 6 2012, 11:46 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 6 2012, 11:40 PM)
I think it's Savile Row on the cover.
I am guessing that this could possibly be a J.J Minnis/John G Hardy, Holland & Sherry or some made in China cloth. Which shop is this by the way?

Added on November 6, 2012, 11:48 pm
QUOTE(putterbit @ Nov 6 2012, 11:15 PM)
If I remember correctly its 2.6k for a 2 piece mix wool suit. 3k-ish for pure wool...unlimited fitting session...just dropby and talk to them...
This could almost get you a fully canvassed suit in Lumbs Golden Bale by H.Lesser. But I agree, the service is great though 2.6K for a wool/polyester mix is daylight robbery.

This post has been edited by Terrorsquad: Nov 6 2012, 11:48 PM
Zelz92
post Nov 7 2012, 12:01 AM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(Terrorsquad @ Nov 6 2012, 11:46 PM)
I am guessing that this could possibly be a J.J Minnis/John G Hardy, Holland & Sherry or some made in China cloth. Which shop is this by the way?

This could almost get you a fully canvassed suit in Lumbs Golden Bale by H.Lesser. But I agree, the service is great though 2.6K for a wool/polyester mix is daylight robbery.
I remember ti was Holland & Sherry. Summermens. I wonder if ti's bespoke or mtm?
putterbit
post Nov 7 2012, 12:36 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

True indeed...Pay more for convenience for your 1st suit and have it done decent good the 1st time and get it copied by a cheaper tailor with your own choice of cloth in the future would be a better idea in Malaysia...Have known too many friends who chosed cheaper tailor for their 1st suit and most are never a happy customer.
papayaman
post Nov 7 2012, 07:53 AM

Getting Started
124 posts

Hello, just wondering if its possible to alter a suit i made couple of years back.

It does not seem to fit my shoulders as nicely as it used to (I started body building)..so is it possible to alter just the shoulder area + the shoulder pads to make it slightly wider?

Zelz92
post Nov 7 2012, 09:07 AM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(papayaman @ Nov 7 2012, 07:53 AM)
Hello, just wondering if its possible to alter a suit i made couple of years back.

It does not seem to fit my shoulders as nicely as it used to (I started body building)..so is it possible to alter just the shoulder area + the shoulder pads to make it slightly wider?
The work demand a high skilled tailor. Shoulder is the hardest part to be alter, it's almost an impossible job. Chances are you won't find tailor who can alter it.
uturn
post Nov 8 2012, 11:43 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(Terrorsquad @ Nov 6 2012, 11:46 PM)

Yup..might as well just save your money and go to a budget tailor in Campbell. biggrin.gif
clearoldstock
post Nov 8 2012, 09:01 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(Terrorsquad @ Oct 30 2012, 11:57 PM)
When you say formal wear, do you mean a black tie event or just a plain suit that can also be used for work?Asking because I note the fact you stated that you want the guy to 'dress to kill and make an impression for employers and peers'.

If you could clarify this point would be great.
Hmm. The point is, he needs to be presentable and good looking la. Looks smart smile.gif

Added on November 8, 2012, 9:48 pm
QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 5 2012, 07:06 PM)
For black-tie (men in black) (Solid color)

1. He'll need: A good crisp dress shirt (white), one with classic narrow hard collar (not button down) or with double cuff. A Solid dark suit or tux. A dark dress leather shoes (Oxford, Brogue) with dark dress socks. Belt (same color as shoes)/Suspenders (depend on body built). Dark conservative tie.

2. Depend on type of fabric. Ranging from 900 and up. Metarial: Wool, Silk, Linen, Cotton, Synthetic etc. I would suggest a wool for the first suit (less wrinkle, last longer than linen) If you live in hot climate choose a lighter fabric. Use summer weight fabric that has looser woven yarn.

3. 8-10 weeks, and 80 hours of tailoring.

4. Tailor, ask local. Expect 4 appointments. Expect 15-40 measurements & photograph

Semi-Formal (Pattern, color)

1. He'll need: A good dress shirt, (not button down) or with double cuff. Suit jacket (match trouser, same fabric). A Trouser (match jacket, same fabric). A dark dress leather shoes (Oxford, Brogue). Belt (same color as shoes)/Suspenders (depend on body built). Conservative tie.

There are a lot of foreign words up there but thanks alot smile.gif

I guess there isn't much I can do and just hope for the best for the first suit?

Oh yea. Honestly, giving me so much choices for the materials is quite a headache rclxub.gif really no idea of what are the pros and cons. Do enlighten me. Thanks!

In short, I just ask the tailor for pure wool as material? and slim cutting?

This post has been edited by clearoldstock: Nov 8 2012, 09:48 PM
SyathibiyMegat
post Nov 8 2012, 11:21 PM

Linguistics
2,634 posts

Where to alter blazer? Price below than rm50
Zelz92
post Nov 9 2012, 01:07 AM

Casual
366 posts

QUOTE(clearoldstock @ Nov 8 2012, 09:01 PM)
Hmm. The point is, he needs to be presentable and good looking la. Looks smart smile.gif

Added on November 8, 2012, 9:48 pm
There are a lot of foreign words up there but thanks alot smile.gif

I guess there isn't much I can do and just hope for the best for the first suit?

Oh yea. Honestly, giving me so much choices for the materials is quite a headache rclxub.gif really no idea of what are the pros and cons. Do enlighten me. Thanks!

In short, I just ask the tailor for pure wool as material? and slim cutting?
There's a lot you can do.

This might help.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

For first suit, pick Wool. There are many kind of wool. If you're looking for lightweight, breathable and cool under the sun, pick "summer weight wool (7-9oz)". If you looking for something that keep you warm, pick more delicate wool. There are also blend wool eg: 75%polyster 15%wool and etc. Depend on your budget really.

Oh yeah, the cut ask the tailor to make a suit look like James Bond.
Don't worry, on fitting stage you'll have a batter idea of how that suit gonna fit you.

For "fit" Read:
Shirt fit
Jacket

This post has been edited by Zelz92: Nov 9 2012, 01:44 AM
clearoldstock
post Nov 9 2012, 01:39 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(Zelz92 @ Nov 9 2012, 01:07 AM)
There's a lot you can do.

This might help.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

For first suit, pick Wool. There are many kind of wool. If you're looking for lightweight, breathable and cool under the sun, pick "summer weight wool (7-9oz)". If you looking for something that keep you warm, pick more delicate wool. There are also blend wool eg: 75%polyster 15%wool and etc. Depend on your budget really.

Oh yeah, the cut ask the tailor to make a suit look like James Bond.
Don't worry, on fitting stage you'll have a batter idea of how that suit gonna fit you.

For "fit" Read:
Shirt fit
Jacket

Now this is an enlightening and edifying post that should be credited. Thanks Zelz92.

Let's discuss on material first.

After some reading myself, wool seems to be the choice as it can be worn all year long and wrinkle-free which are the two main points that caught my attention.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_6...ion_advice.html
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_3...ion_advice.html

But, there isn't any website which describe the different kind of wools. I tried wiki and google, at least, there is no hits for me. Anyone can help me on this?

I wanna know their pros n cons.

What do you mean by delicate wool? I am definitely looking at a suit that will keep the wearer warm smile.gif Is blend wool good?

Budget: around MYR 1000. But its subjective. Dont mind paying more if there is something worth the money for a first timer.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0238sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:45 AM