Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

92 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Sonus Faber, The artisan of sound (Hi-Fi)

views

TSgrandspy
post Jun 1 2008, 12:53 AM

The Mothership is here!
1,338 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Jun 1 2008, 12:31 AM)
hey
how about a small gathering of sonus owner?
grandspy. wanna come over for listening my sonus?
i had tune it according to my taste.
it's very different with the one you listened at perfect hifi that day.
personally mine is smoother.
due to cable/ amp.
i has one epos ES-11 at my hand too.
=)

Great idea!! That, we shall do.
I can imagine that. Your NAD is already warm and smooth. Good match for the SF? I'll bring some CDs smile.gif
kkthen
post Jun 1 2008, 01:02 AM

Casual
383 posts

QUOTE(grandspy @ Jun 1 2008, 12:26 AM)
Nice setup!!! How effective is the jitter remover?

The jitter remover is playing main role in my system sweat.gif . Especially, when my transport is not match well with my old dac. Remove the jitter remover, high, vocal, bass, dynamic become noting in my system. sweat.gif
May be my dac is too old, latest dac like Benchmark DAC 1 got reclock function will solve the matching issue.

Added on June 1, 2008, 1:06 am
QUOTE(PcWork @ Jun 1 2008, 12:31 AM)
hey
how about a small gathering of sonus owner?
grandspy. wanna come over for listening my sonus?
i had tune it according to my taste.
it's very different with the one you listened at perfect hifi that day.
personally mine is smoother.
due to cable/ amp.
i has one epos ES-11 at my hand too.
=)
PCwork Bro, i am not sonus owner. Can i join the audition? I really want to know the poison of sonus faber. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by kkthen: Jun 1 2008, 01:36 AM
mugenfoo
post Jun 1 2008, 04:24 PM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

QUOTE(grandspy @ Jun 1 2008, 12:26 AM)
Nice Pics PcWork!!
Nice setup!!! How effective is the jitter remover?
That's what I thought... KAV-300i could be the perfect match for the SF. BTW, mine are not the newer model of Domus(es?) but the earlier Concertos.. probably the same as yours?? Yes, I would like that very much... to have a listen to the 300i driving a pair of Concertos. I've listened to a 400xi paired with Concertos but not a 300i.  Hey, can I put your name up there as the owner of Concertos?
yea sure no prob.

I am also using a Monarchy DIP ( the very 1st Gen also) and its now doing a wonderful re-streaming the output of my Apple Airport Express' S/PDIF output. Without the DIP, the Airport's stream makes the sound really rough and edgy. And this ain't serious listening but "convenience" listening to the stuff in my iTunes library. The DIP is totally awesome despite being 10+years old. Also great for converting Toslink to Co-ax or AES/EBU interface, if you wanna try different sounds.

Now the newer model DIPs should be even better owing to improvements in digital timing accuracy from higher grade clock chips/Crystals.
For serious listening, I got a Theta Jade transport (the one that pioneered the built-in buffer memory to reduce jitter just like Theta's Jitter-Jail standalone) , Wadia 12 DAC, then Mr. Krell, then Apogee Slant-6 hybrids. All XLO Signature-series AES/EBU (balanced) links for digital and analog, then bi-wired to the Apogees.

All in a purpose built room with Robert Harley's top choice dimensions of 10-14-19.

Before the Krell, I was driving the Concerto with an Exposure XX. Very smooth, but not quite enough power and the Concertos are abit power hungry.

Incidentally, both the Concertos and the Apogee are using the same 6inch VIFA woofer driver.

This post has been edited by mugenfoo: Sep 25 2010, 01:47 AM
auronthas
post Jun 1 2008, 06:25 PM

AudiOphiL3
1,321 posts

QUOTE(htkaki @ May 31 2008, 06:24 PM)
I thought Exposure is very suitable for Epos spkrs?
I hv no idea. You may be right, I heard Exposure 2010s is a good buy integrated amplifier.

Just read review from Stereophile on new Exposure 3010s integrated amplifier, it may not available here yet to make any audition.
kkthen
post Jun 2 2008, 05:42 PM

Casual
383 posts

QUOTE(mugenfoo @ Jun 1 2008, 04:24 PM)
yea sure no prob.

I am also using a Monarchy DIP ( the very 1st Gen also)  and its now doing a wonderful re-streaming the output of my Apple Airport Express' S/PDIF output. Without the DIP, the Airport's stream makes the sound really rough and edgy. And this ain't serious listening but "convenience" listening to the stuff in my iTunes library. The DIP is totally awesome despite being 10+years old. Also great for converting Toslink to Co-ax or AES/EBU interface, if you wanna try different sounds.

Now the newer model DIPs should be even better owing to improvements in digital timing accuracy from higher grade clock chips/Crystals.
For serious listening,  I got a Theta Jade transport (the one that pioneered the built-in buffer memory to reduce jitter just like Theta's Jitter-Jail standalone) , Wadia 12 DAC, then Mr. Krell, then Apogee Slant-6 hybrids. All XLO Signature-series AES/EBU (balanced) links for digital and analog, then bi-wired to the Apogees.

All in a purpose built room with Robert Harley's top choice dimensions of 10-14-19.

Before the Krell, I was driving the Concerto with an Exposure XX. Very smooth, but not quite enough power and the Concertos are abit power hungry.

Incidentally,  both the Concertos and the Apogee are using the same 6inch VIFA woofer driver.
Theta jade- wadia 12- Krell- Apogee Slant-6 hybrid

your system is high end. drool.gif
I also like xlo sound, neutral, clean & dynamic. But I am using low range xlo interconnect only. sweat.gif
I have no idea how good the signature series. How about power cord? which power cord for theta jade transport? Do you using any power conditioner for your system?

TSgrandspy
post Jun 2 2008, 08:19 PM

The Mothership is here!
1,338 posts

QUOTE(mugenfoo @ Jun 1 2008, 04:24 PM)
For serious listening,  I got a Theta Jade transport (the one that pioneered the built-in buffer memory to reduce jitter just like Theta's Jitter-Jail standalone) , Wadia 12 DAC, then Mr. Krell, then Apogee Slant-6 hybrids. All XLO Signature-series AES/EBU (balanced) links for digital and analog, then bi-wired to the Apogees.

Robert Harley's top choice dimensions of 10-14-19. Tell me more??
That's one serious stuff you've got there mugenfoo...
PcWork
post Jun 3 2008, 12:30 AM

Audio Phreak
6,477 posts

QUOTE(grandspy @ Jun 1 2008, 12:53 AM)
Great idea!! That, we shall do.
I can imagine that. Your NAD is already warm and smooth. Good match for the SF? I'll bring some CDs smile.gif
well
it become more smooth and warm. =P
andrea bocelli and some flute songs is superb imho. well define, thick enough to represent the actual size of a flute.

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jun 1 2008, 01:02 AM)
The jitter remover is playing main role in my system sweat.gif . Especially, when my transport is not match well with my old dac. Remove the jitter remover, high, vocal, bass, dynamic  become noting in my system. sweat.gif
May be my dac is too old, latest dac  like Benchmark DAC 1 got reclock function will solve the matching issue.

Added on June 1, 2008, 1:06 am

PCwork Bro, i am not  sonus owner. Can i join the audition? I really want to know the poison of sonus faber. biggrin.gif
no problem dude.
=P
if u wanna kena serious poison, do you wanna visit perfect hifi with me?
as bro grandspy did. hahaha

mugenfoo
post Jun 3 2008, 11:38 PM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

Yeah i use "better" power chords too...

Using XLO Reference-II power chords for Amp, DAC and CD Transport.

Also using the 1st Gen XLO reference power chord for the DIP to "help" the Apple Airport Express out abit.

But my "home made" power chord from the wall outlet to the power block is wired with VandenHul CS-6 (if i remember correctly) stiff like anything... but gives very good & fast dynamics. Then only the XLO power chords tap off this power block.

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jun 2 2008, 05:42 PM)
Theta jade- wadia 12- Krell- Apogee Slant-6 hybrid

your system is high end. drool.gif 
I also like xlo sound, neutral, clean & dynamic. But I am using low range xlo interconnect only.  sweat.gif
I have no idea how good the signature series. How about power cord? which power cord for theta jade transport? Do you using any power conditioner for your system?
mugenfoo
post Jun 3 2008, 11:52 PM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

Basically its a room of dimensions 10 feet by 14 feet by 19 feet or scaled down with the same proportion.
This would give the best spread of "eigentones" or standing-wave distribution for a rectangular room.

Any "normal" household room (unless its a fully damped and super dead sounding recording studio or similar) would have standing waves due to parallel walls and other geometrical factors. The idea is to try to spread these standing wave frequencies evenly thoroughout the audio band, then they may be more easily corrected/treated with stuff like Roomtunes ™ , bass traps, Helmholtz resonators, RPG™ products, big wads of padding, chicken-egg carton trays, etc etc etc... and yes ... even with a small round piece of wood called "Shun Mook" that some people swear by it. (Please don't ask me about "Shun Mook" but Google it up, have a listen if possible, then form your own opinion about it wink.gif )

Tuning the listening room is perhaps the hardest part of hi-fi and the part that most people tend to overlook.

Basically, I would go for a room dimensions thats got just the right amount of liveness, and ideally flat freq response and no peaks or suck-outs in the audible range. Of course, speaker placement and listening position are also part of this equation.

Then there's stuff like the mathematical "golden ratio" ( something advocated by Cardas & gang) and the string of Fibonacci number sequences and how they apply it to hi-fi such that resonances won't built up etc etc etc...

Anyway, people can do (and have done) a PhD out of this whole topic alone; so if anyone is interested to know more... Google is your best friend.

Its from RH's book, the "complete guide to high-end audio" now in its 3rd or 4th edition already i think.

QUOTE(grandspy @ Jun 2 2008, 08:19 PM)
Robert Harley's top choice dimensions of 10-14-19. Tell me more??
That's one serious stuff you've got there mugenfoo...
mugenfoo
post Jun 4 2008, 12:02 AM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

Also got a friend with a pair of 1st Gen SF Concertinos (non-Domus) driven by Musical Fidelity X1 amp and Micromega minium CD Player.

Extremely musical for a "slightly classy" entry-level system.

One thing about Sonuses is that the stands are particularly important. That makes the diff between a pair of good sounding SFs and great sounding SFs.

Take for example the Guinaeri (dunno how to spell it properly anymore) if anyone recalls; the stands are an integral part of the whole speaker design. Concrete base, some metal (not sure, don't remember!) rigid column... and carefully tensioned (nylon / cotton?) strings from the top baseplate to the bottom concrete base.

And the SF Extrema ... thats my first time seeing a passive speaker with a heatsink at the rear !!

Y.C.
post Jun 4 2008, 12:42 AM

Casual listener
906 posts

QUOTE(mugenfoo @ Jun 4 2008, 12:02 AM)
One thing about Sonuses is that the stands are particularly important. That makes the diff between a pair of good sounding SFs and great sounding SFs.
Hi mugenfoo,

I've heard many who commented the same, ie. stands are critical for Sonus Faber speakers. As for the baby Sonus speaker in 1st generation Concetino or Concertino Home, why is it so? The correct height of 28"/30" vs 24" of Empire stands or material used (presence of walnut) to construct the stands? What is your comment on this?

mugenfoo
post Jun 4 2008, 09:13 AM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

my comment ? "trust your ears" smile.gif

advanceNissan
post Jun 4 2008, 11:07 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

All the new range from SF I have listened to, can't match my old SF lar, the "taste" is no longer can find on the new range. Try to use Audio Research or Audio Analogue to drive it. I have try a lot of amplifier from Krell, Mark Levinson, McIntosh.... to drive SF Cremona, only Audio Research and Audio Analogue is more match, the other is really not match at all.
Y.C.
post Jun 4 2008, 12:13 PM

Casual listener
906 posts

QUOTE(mugenfoo @ Jun 4 2008, 09:13 AM)
my comment ? "trust your ears" smile.gif
Trust my ears?
I've a pair of SF Concertino Home sitting on 24" six pillar Empire stands for the last 5 years till now, didn't buy its original stands because of cost factor then. I've been hearing comments you've just made, "... one thing about Sonuses is that the stands are particularly important. That makes the diff between a pair of good sounding SFs and great sounding SFs. ..." and hence my curiosity. Unless I buy or 'pinjam' the original stands to make comparison, I'll never know for sure, then how to trust my ear? I thought you'll be willing to share since you also made the statement. I won't hold you to whatever opinion or take on this as it's how you actually feel mah! icon_rolleyes.gif

mugenfoo
post Jun 4 2008, 03:21 PM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

Well, I had this one pair of stands, 24" also, to use with the Concertos .. they were locally made, but made for the Concertos coz it had two holes in the base-plate so that u can screw the concertos securely to the plate.

With the stands filled and screwed-on, the sounds is much better than having the SF just sit on them with nothing else.

Basically, a good pair of stands that are rigid, solid and preferable can accommodate the SF's bottom screw ports ... you'll have a great combo !

As with most of SF's design philosophy and the way they interlock the solid wood blocks and internally brace them , this makes the speaker cabinets really solid and inert to improve the woofer accuracy. So anything along the same lines would be good.

Y.C.
post Jun 4 2008, 03:58 PM

Casual listener
906 posts

QUOTE(mugenfoo @ Jun 4 2008, 03:21 PM)
... they were locally made, but made for the Concertos coz it had two holes in the base-plate so that u can screw the concertos securely to the plate.

With the stands filled and screwed-on, the sounds is much better than having the SF just sit on them with nothing else.

Basically, a good pair of stands that are rigid, solid and preferable can accommodate the SF's bottom screw ports ... you'll have a great combo !

As with most of SF's design philosophy and the way they interlock the solid wood blocks and internally brace them , this  makes the speaker cabinets really solid and inert to improve the woofer accuracy. So anything along the same lines would be good.
Thank you, mugenfoo. You've just made my day!

I'll seek and try out the original or clone stands made for Sonus Faber speakers and will let you know if its sound really improve from what I'm hearing now in due course but if the improvement is marginal or none, I shall not hold you to your opinion expressed. Have a nice day!

P/S Any forumers having good conditioned to mint original/clone stands made for Sonus Faber for sale? If yes, kindly PM me.
mariobro
post Jun 4 2008, 08:37 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

anyone got sf old speaker stand ? or where to get it.
Its wrap with leather. ill upload pic 2nite
auronthas
post Jun 9 2008, 06:00 PM

AudiOphiL3
1,321 posts

I have made audition at Perfect Hifi with Audio Analogue Primo Settanta SS integrated amplifier paired with SF concertino domus lately, they sound superbly warm, but when they played track 1 - Bali Runof Four Play album, i noticed some music instruments at certain frequencies (upper bass i think) are mess around, have you guys has the same experience?

I was introduced also higher range AA Verdi Settanta (hybrid) integrated amp and AA Puccini Settanta integrated amp, unfortunately i have no time for audition or 'paisei', may be will listen to them next trip.

I understand a powerful amp will drive less sensitive 4 ohm speaker like SF and make the sound warmer, deeper, and clear.

This post has been edited by auronthas: Jun 9 2008, 06:15 PM
mugenfoo
post Jun 12 2008, 01:08 AM

"Assembled Phenomena"
1,061 posts

Anyone here who's come across a pair of vintage SF Electa or Electa-Amator ?

advanceNissan
post Jun 14 2008, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(auronthas @ Jun 9 2008, 06:00 PM)
I have made audition at Perfect Hifi with Audio Analogue Primo Settanta SS integrated amplifier paired with SF concertino domus lately, they sound superbly warm, but when they played track 1 - Bali Runof Four Play album, i noticed some music instruments at certain frequencies (upper bass i think) are mess around, have you guys has the same experience?

I was introduced also higher range AA Verdi Settanta (hybrid) integrated amp and AA Puccini Settanta integrated amp, unfortunately i have no time for audition or 'paisei', may be will listen to them next trip.

I understand a powerful amp will drive less sensitive 4 ohm speaker like SF and make the sound warmer, deeper, and clear.
I did go there and listened to this setup, but I think Perfect Hi-Fi didn't set it up properly. I heard the cable not really match the system. If change to other cable, the sound will be better.

92 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0489sec    1.66    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd November 2019 - 03:14 PM