Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fund Investment Corner v2, A to Z about Fund

views

leekk8
post Jul 28 2008, 10:47 AM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(adeas @ Jul 27 2008, 10:54 AM)
oh i see...how about an increasing of oil price and political crisis in malaysia?never effect the long term investment?
Oil price start to drop, OPEC expect oil price will drop slowly until USD70-80. smile.gif
Jordy
post Jul 28 2008, 11:17 AM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(adeas @ Jul 27 2008, 10:46 AM)
is it profitable if i invest in public mutual during unstable economy pattern nowadays?
I am a representative from Public Mutual, and would like to say a few words. Well as mentioned by David, no doubt unit trust is for the long term.
But I do not foresee our local market to fare very well in the coming few years. It is better advised that you invest in funds that have very little exposure in Malaysia. Look for funds with high exposure in developing countries. The Asian market as a whole has many untapped developments, but you need time to realise your gain from these countries' developments. As to your question, you might not profit in the current situation, but if you start investing early and regularly, you could hope to see the bottom and gain from the possible rebound. It is impossible to time the market because of the ever-changing political and economical scenes. We have yet to see the worst.

QUOTE(adeas @ Jul 27 2008, 11:05 AM)
so if i invest in islamic type of public mutual?depends on local or global situation?
Islamic (Syariah) funds do not necessarily have to be a local fund. The term simply means that the funds are only invested in "halal" securities.
The underlying investments of the Islamic funds must not be involved in gambling, alcohol, tobacco and conventional finance. They must adhere to the Islamic principles. So, there are many other countries with securities in this category, even in Western countries. You have to see the breakdown of the funds to find out which countries they are exposed to.
cstkl1
post Jul 29 2008, 02:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
6,799 posts

QUOTE(Jordy @ Jul 28 2008, 11:17 AM)

I am a representative from Public Mutual, and would like to say a few words. Well as mentioned by David, no doubt unit trust is for the long term.
But I do not foresee our local market to fare very well in the coming few years. It is better advised that you invest in funds that have very little exposure in Malaysia. Look for funds with high exposure in developing countries. The Asian market as a whole has many untapped developments, but you need time to realise your gain from these countries' developments. As to your question, you might not profit in the current situation, but if you start investing early and regularly, you could hope to see the bottom and gain from the possible rebound. It is impossible to time the market because of the ever-changing political and economical scenes. We have yet to see the worst.
Islamic (Syariah) funds do not necessarily have to be a local fund. The term simply means that the funds are only invested in "halal" securities.
The underlying investments of the Islamic funds must not be involved in gambling, alcohol, tobacco and conventional finance. They must adhere to the Islamic principles. So, there are many other countries with securities in this category, even in Western countries. You have to see the breakdown of the funds to find out which countries they are exposed to.

good sales pitch

unit trust investment pros and cons for the next quater

1. pros
by end of the year all fund managers will rally the martket for the pay... ( profit sharing )
.. somebody has to pay for their yacht etc

2. cons..
for every 1 percent u lose now on a downtrend market.. u need 2 percent to break even... and this is not even including the service charge

This post has been edited by cstkl1: Jul 29 2008, 03:00 PM
dr2k3
post Jul 29 2008, 10:54 PM

Speculator
3,569 posts

i've checked public mutual performance.....the best i saw within 5years is 48-50%...thats like average 10% p.a....worse one i see go negative....

mostly those worse one is usually those overseas one.....because u can say public mutual buy(introduce) when price is high sell when price is low

their best perform one i think is local one instead....correct me if im wrong

when china rise nearly reach end they started to introduce china fund thingy, then when gold rise until so high then they started to introduce gold type fund.....etc,etc........sorry to say that public mutual fund manager is short sighted

This post has been edited by dr2k3: Jul 29 2008, 10:58 PM
SUSDavid83
post Jul 29 2008, 10:57 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

I'm kind agreed with that Public Mutual is some sort of late in introducing new funds in capturing the hype market. It's like going to catch the last train.
dr2k3
post Jul 29 2008, 11:01 PM

Speculator
3,569 posts

QUOTE(David83 @ Jul 29 2008, 10:57 PM)
I'm kind agreed with that Public Mutual is some sort of late in introducing new funds in capturing the hype market. It's like going to catch the last train.
well...if u compare to US type mutual fund......their fund is way diff, some even quite profit when market go down.....while malaysia one is like buy when price is extremely high n sell when price is very very low

if 5 years only 10% p.a average i think maybe i can earn more with foreign fd alone?

This post has been edited by dr2k3: Jul 29 2008, 11:07 PM
wodenus
post Jul 30 2008, 12:15 AM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(dr2k3 @ Jul 29 2008, 11:01 PM)
well...if u compare to US type mutual fund......their fund is way diff, some even quite profit when market go down.....while malaysia one is like buy when price is extremely high n sell when price is very very low

if 5 years only 10% p.a average i think maybe i can earn more with foreign fd alone?
We had a thread about that... the spread is high, but I hear you can ask for something called DCI.
leekk8
post Jul 30 2008, 10:47 AM

Regular
1,059 posts

QUOTE(dr2k3 @ Jul 29 2008, 11:01 PM)

Be realistic, normally unit trust investment give 8-12% p.a. return over a long run. Don't expect can get more than that easily. Even Warren Buffett gain around 25% p.a. from stock investment, we shouldn't expect return from unit trust is as high as stock investment, and definitely fund managers are not as good as Warren Buffett in investment.
SUSDavid83
post Aug 1 2008, 09:14 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

OSK-UOB confident of 6% returns from new fund

KUALA LUMPUR: OSK-UOB Unit Trust Management Bhd expects its latest product, the OSK-UOB Capital Protected Equity Fund, to yield potential annual returns of 6% to 8%.

Chief investment officer Jason Chong said the three-year closed-end fund would provide capital appreciation over the medium term and refund the initial investment on maturity.

“We are in the midst of a slowdown, and in this period of uncertainty, sectors such as airline and petrochemical will do well. Investing in general offers is also considered a safe bet based on the absolute performance of the market,” he told reporters at the launch yesterday.

The fund’s principal strategy is to invest 85% to 100% of the capital raised in a three-year zero coupon negotiable instrument of deposit to protect the fund’s capital. The remainder will be invested in equities and/or derivatives of companies with strong underlying growth potential.

“We will adopt an absolute performance strategy. For example, once the stock goes up by 15% to 20%, we will sell,” Chong said.

The fund has an approved size of 200 million units at an initial price of RM1 per unit.

The minimum initial investment is RM5,000 and the subsequent minimum top-up is RM1,000.

Asked on OSK’s view of the world markets, Chong said that for OSK’s global asset allocation, it was currently underweight on equities in general. In terms of country allocation, it is neutral on the US, underweight on Europe and overweight on Asian markets.

He also said fund managers expected the overnight policy rate to be raised by 25 to 50 basis points by the end of this year.

“Currently, the Asian market ex-Japan is trading at a price-earnings ratio of 12.4 times. When the market valuation is cheap, there is a lot of opportunity. That’s why we think it’s a good time to launch this fund,” Chong added.

URL: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...74&sec=business
howszat
post Aug 1 2008, 02:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,925 posts

This is most unexpected, or at least I didn't expect it smile.gif

HLG Vietnam Fund

Start price in March: 0.5000
Today price: 0.5603
Difference: +12%

Vietnam? and considering practically every other fund is in the red? hmm.gif
Jordy
post Aug 1 2008, 08:13 PM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Aug 1 2008, 02:35 PM)
This is most unexpected, or at least I didn't expect it smile.gif

HLG Vietnam Fund

Start price in March: 0.5000
Today price: 0.5603
Difference: +12%

Vietnam? and considering practically every other fund is in the red? hmm.gif
Since the government stepped up and increase the IR to its peak, the market there has been faring very well, up from a low of 3xx points to around 480 points now. Every other markets have been dropping the past few months, but Vietnam has somehow "decoupled" from the global markets and climbed its way up. Maybe it is due to the inflationary pressure has reduced there, or are expected to reduce after the steep IR hike.
SUSDavid83
post Aug 6 2008, 09:35 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

New AmInvestment commodities fund

KUALA LUMPUR: AmInvestment Bank Bhd is planning to capitalise on the global commodity boom with its new fund called AmCommodities Extra.

Managing director Kok Tuck Cheong said the long-term outlook for commodities remained positive due to a mismatch of supply and demand, which had raised commodity prices.

“Commodities have low correlation to equities and bonds, and therefore provide investors another alternative class of investment to enhance their portfolio as well as preserve their wealth against inflation,” he said at the launch of the fund yesterday.

“It has been observed that commodities have consistently outperformed inflation and commodity prices are rising faster than inflation rate.”

On the high volatility that the market experienced lately, chief investment officer (fixed income) Yvonne Phe said the fund had a “revolver strategy” feature, which would reduce exposure of underlying assets during vicious swing and increase exposure when volatility subsided.

AmCommodities Extra invests 90% in fixed income instruments and 10% in structured derivative instruments with exposure to potential upside of commodities theme. These structured derivatives provide 75% exposure in Rogers International Commodity Index (RICI), an index managed by Jim Rogers, a well-known commodities guru, while the remaining underlying assets consist of commodity-related equity indexes in Australia, Brazil and China.

However, this fund does not include crude palm oil (CPO) because of its thin trading volume. Chief executive officer Datin Maznah Mahbob said the fund would emphasis on liquidity but she might consider CPO in the future if the liquidity improved.

Meanwhile, director (retail funds) Ng Chze How said this fund provided an opportunity for portfolio diversification, as most of Malaysian investments were in bonds, equities and cash.

“For investors who can assume medium to high risk, they should consider this class of investment,” he said.

As at June 30, RICI constituted 44% energy, 34.9% agriculture and livestock, and 21.1% precious metals.

Ng said AmInvestment expected AmCommodities Extra to be fully subscribed in six to 12 months.

URL: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...87&sec=business
SUSDavid83
post Aug 8 2008, 08:48 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

OSK-UOB targets 9% returns for new fund

KUALA LUMPUR: OSK-UOB Unit Trust Management Bhd has teamed up with JP Morgan Securities (Asia Pacific) Ltd to launch the OSK-UOB Income Alpha Fund for which they are targeting 8% to 9% in net returns yearly.

OSK-UOB chief executive director Ho Seng Yee said they hoped to attract RM200mil in investments from investors with low to medium risk tolerance.

“Malaysians are generally risk averse and in these uncertain times, some investors may be keen to diversify some of their investment into less risky asset class,” he said at the launch yesterday.

Ho said the fund was suitable for investors who wanted to preserve their capital and wanted returns that were above the prevailing inflation rate.

The inflation rate in June rose to a 26-year high of 7.7%, fuelled by the hike in petrol and diesel prices.

Ho said investors could expect income distribution from the fund semi-annually.

The fund’s main strategy is to invest 90% of its net asset value in ringgit-denominated short-term fixed income securities and the remaining 10% in derivatives in the JP Morgan Yield Alpha 8 Index with exposure in Britain, Europe, Japan, the US and the G10 countries.

The Alpha 8 Index would invest in bonds, foreign currencies and also equities.

URL: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...27&sec=business
darkknight81
post Aug 8 2008, 10:14 PM

$$$$$$$$$$
3,929 posts

For long term investment in unit trust i still prefer islamic fund which is able to give more constant return. The fund manager will invest on safer security. Public mutual is famous for its islamic fund. Besides, we have to see on what stock they invest into base on their quarterly report. biggrin.gif
Jordy
post Aug 9 2008, 01:53 AM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(darkknight81 @ Aug 8 2008, 10:14 PM)
For long term investment in unit trust i still prefer islamic fund which is able to give more constant return. The fund manager will invest on safer security. Public mutual is famous for its islamic fund. Besides, we have to see on what stock they invest into base on their quarterly report.  biggrin.gif
This statement is very misleading. There is no guarantee that Islamic funds give constant returns. In fact, the conventional funds are able to generate more constant returns than Islamic funds through historical data. Just hope to clear the misleading fact smile.gif
darkknight81
post Aug 9 2008, 08:31 AM

$$$$$$$$$$
3,929 posts

QUOTE(Jordy @ Aug 9 2008, 02:53 AM)
This statement is very misleading. There is no guarantee that Islamic funds give constant returns. In fact, the conventional funds are able to generate more constant returns than Islamic funds through historical data. Just hope to clear the misleading fact smile.gif
What conventional funds are you referring to? Can you give an example. From the experience of playing fund last time, islamic fund give better returns and their price doesn't fluctuate as much compare to other funds especially china fund and other non-islamic fund as i think they do more speculative trading compare to islamic fund.
cherroy
post Aug 9 2008, 09:25 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(darkknight81 @ Aug 8 2008, 10:14 PM)
For long term investment in unit trust i still prefer islamic fund which is able to give more constant return. The fund manager will invest on safer security. Public mutual is famous for its islamic fund. Besides, we have to see on what stock they invest into base on their quarterly report.  biggrin.gif
Islamic fund just means they are investing in those syariah compliant stocks only. It doesn't mean they must give more or constant return rate compared to conventional fund. It doesn't relate at all whether they are more steady or better. It depends on the performance of portfolio stocks they are investing.

It just happens previously those syariah compliant stocks are performing well. For eg. just like islamic fund can't buy Genting share, but Genting share did plunge recent few months, so those conventional fund buying Genting shares are having poor record than Islamic fund.
Jordy
post Aug 9 2008, 12:48 PM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(darkknight81 @ Aug 9 2008, 08:31 AM)
What conventional funds are you referring to? Can you give an example. From the experience of playing fund last time, islamic fund give better returns and their price doesn't fluctuate as much compare to other funds especially china fund and other non-islamic fund as i think they do more speculative trading compare to islamic fund.
What cherroy said is true. You cannot compare an apple with an orange. Islamic funds can only invest in halal stocks (ie no gambling, no alcohol, no tobacco, etc) that goes by the Islamic principles. Islamic funds are very limited to these few companies only, so the choices are in fact very limited. When the stocks grow across the board, Islamic funds may lose out to those conventional funds because of this limit. So, to say that Islamic fund will outperform conventional funds, is outright misleading and it would only depend on the situation.
darkknight81
post Aug 9 2008, 04:45 PM

$$$$$$$$$$
3,929 posts

QUOTE(Jordy @ Aug 9 2008, 01:48 PM)
What cherroy said is true. You cannot compare an apple with an orange. Islamic funds can only invest in halal stocks (ie no gambling, no alcohol, no tobacco, etc) that goes by the Islamic principles. Islamic funds are very limited to these few companies only, so the choices are in fact very limited. When the stocks grow across the board, Islamic funds may lose out to those conventional funds because of this limit. So, to say that Islamic fund will outperform conventional funds, is outright misleading and it would only depend on the situation.
Yup agree with you biggrin.gif . Do you see what stock they fund actually invest into before you buy that fund? As i notice
public mutual islamic fund normally invested in fundamental stock. Don you think so? I think beside islamic fund doesn't allow to invest in nonhalal stocks , the fund also less speculate on the market base on the stock they bought.

This post has been edited by darkknight81: Aug 9 2008, 04:46 PM
Jordy
post Aug 9 2008, 07:39 PM

Entrepreneur
Group Icon
Elite
5,626 posts

QUOTE(darkknight81 @ Aug 9 2008, 04:45 PM)
Yup agree with you  biggrin.gif . Do you see what stock they fund actually invest into before you buy that fund? As i notice
public mutual islamic fund normally invested in fundamental stock. Don you think so? I think beside islamic fund doesn't allow to invest in nonhalal stocks , the fund also less speculate on the market base on the stock they bought.
All fund managers should aim to invest in fundamentally strong stocks for the long term capital growth. It is not only confined to Islamic funds. I do not agree too when you say fund managers "speculate" in the market. It would incur unnecessary costs, and from the PTR of funds, we can see that there is little change in the portfolios over the year. Therefore, there has not been much transactions done by fund managers.

160 Pages « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0276sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:34 PM