Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Mental health disorder support group, depression/anxiety/panic attack/bipolar (Health)

fireloh
post Nov 30 2017, 04:21 PM

Group: Junior Member

HELLO !!!

Appreciate to those who had experienced on depression and wish you could share with me your life experience and ways to cope with it as it means a lot to me.

I suspect myself having mild depression as i have some depression symptoms which includes:

1. Wish to sleep as much as possible to avoid thinking, however, there are times i woke up every day at 4am just to continue with my work. Nevertheless, i had not been efficient and could not solve the problems in my work, which wasted another 3 hours of sleeping hours.

2. At times, dont feel like eating although i am starving.

3. Feeling tired all the time.

4. I feel useless MOST of the time, as i feel like i couldn't do well in my career, as compared to my colleague where they could finish their work on time, whereas me, i spend all day all night also couldn't complete.

5. Difficult in thinking, concentrating and making discussion (feel like my soul is not here).

6. Thought of suicide. (However, i have no guts and i have a family to take care of).

7. I feel stressed out all the time. I feel like i cant communicate with people around me, like an introvert, I will have severe tension whenever i face anything (no matter small or big).
Npad
post Nov 30 2017, 05:03 PM

Casual

QUOTE(fireloh @ Nov 30 2017, 04:21 PM)
HELLO !!!

Appreciate to those who had experienced on depression and wish you could share with me your life experience and ways to cope with it as it means a lot to me.

I suspect myself having mild depression as i have some depression symptoms which includes:

1. Wish to sleep as much as possible to avoid thinking, however, there are times i woke up every day at 4am just to continue with my work. Nevertheless, i had not been efficient and could not solve the problems in my work, which wasted another 3 hours of sleeping hours.

2. At times, dont feel like eating although i am starving.

3. Feeling tired all the time.

4. I feel useless MOST of the time, as i feel like i couldn't do well in my career, as compared to my colleague where they could finish their work on time, whereas me, i spend all day all night also couldn't complete.

5. Difficult in thinking, concentrating and making discussion (feel like my soul is not here).

6. Thought of suicide. (However, i have no guts and i have a family to take care of).

7. I feel stressed out all the time. I feel like i cant communicate with people around me, like an introvert, I will have severe tension whenever i face anything (no matter small or big).
Hello there my friend. What you describe does sound like depression to me. I had/have similar symptoms, especially number 1 and number 6. I do relapse from time to time but I am doing much better nowadays. In fact, I think this year was the first year I did not have any suicidal thoughts at all. Been struggling with this since 2006 as far as I can remember.

I can offer you some anecdotal advice as to how you can help yourself. Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

1. First and foremost, please seek professional help if you are able. I was fortunate enough to have a psychologist available to me when I was in college and I learned a lot on how to manage my depression from her. When I relapsed into serious depression a few times after I was out of college, I couldn't go seek professional help but my previous experience with said psychologist really helped pull me through.

2. As cliche as this might sound: Focus on you. One of the damnest things that really trigger me last time was comparison. I compared to my friend who just got married, I compared to my friend who got promoted, I compared to my friend who drives a nice car, etc. You get the idea. I was a goddamn straight A student who came from a quite well off family with a full ride scholarship to study in the states. And I still was depressed. From an outsider's point of view, I have no right to be depressed. I got everything. It can happen to anybody and it is not your fault. My point is, until I started to focus on myself, I was never truly happy. Social media exacerbates these things, because people only post the highlights of their lives, not the lows. And if you compare your own boring mundane life with other people's highlights, you can't move forward.

3. Got the focus on yourself? Good. Now get on improving yourself. Take small steps, do things to better yourself from yesterday. Do things you like to do. Baking, cooking, painting, whatever. Even video games is good I might argue. I personally fell in love with the sport of powerlifting. I can pretty much say powerlifting saved my life. That's what I focus on. I exercise, and I train, and I get better every day. This transfers to your daily life, get better than you were yesterday, in whatever it is you like to do.

4. Take care of yourself. This one gets neglected a lot. A healthy mind starts from a healthy body. Exercise, eat right and sleep well. Quit smoking if you smoke. I can help you quit, I was a 1-pack-a-day chain smoker for 7 long years before finally quitting 2 years ago. Take good care of your sleep hygiene. If you don't know what that means, that means you got some homework to do. Get fit, get healthy and trust me, as you get more and more fit, you will automatically become a happier person. Do not fall into the trap of saying that you do not have time. You have time. You can minus 30 mins of TV every night. You can eat a bit quicker during lunch to take a long walk around the park during lunch breaks. There are so many ways you can exercise and keep fit, it only needs to be prioritized. Time can be made. 168 hours in a week, surely you can spend 3 hours in the week to jog or do whatever exercise you can do.

5. Talk. Learn to talk. This takes trust and it takes someone special and it will take a long time to develop. I was with my girlfriend for a good 3 years before I finally learned how to talk and express myself in ways that can relieve me of the stresses that I face. If you have that someone to listen to you, then good. If not, then it's okay too. Learn and cultivate that trust with someone you can trust your secrets to. If you simply need someone to listen to your rants, man, you are welcomed to PM me.

6. Lastly, remember you are loved. No matter what people might say, no matter who you are, I am certain there is someone out there who loves you. Do not hurt that person by hurting yourself.

That's all I got for now. I hope you can employ some of these advice so that you can help yourself. I'm here to talk to you if you just need a listening ear. I wish you well and good luck.
rsf
post Nov 30 2017, 06:15 PM

QUOTE(MBBSUM @ Sep 26 2017, 09:34 PM)
CAN SOMEONE KINDLY GIVE ME SUGGESTION FOR A GOOD HYPNOTHERAPY PERSON, WHO CAN HELP ME WITH MY ANXIETY . I BEEN READING ONLINE,HYPNOSIS CAN HELP DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. BUT ALL ORANG PUTIH PLACE.
CAN SOMEONE GUIDE ME FOR THIS.
Hei there, I'm a psychology major. Are you experiencing major changes in your life recently? For depression and anxiety, have you tried psychotherapy or talk therapy as medical intervention? Medication paired with psychotherapy is the most effective way to promote recovery. Try seek for consultation at New Health, Petaling Jaya. http://newhealth.city - I worked there as a counselor. Hope this helps.
rsf
post Nov 30 2017, 06:51 PM

QUOTE(TheMrBinary @ Sep 19 2017, 11:32 AM)
What medicine is the best for depression?
Medication does not outright cure depression but it may help with the management of symptoms. However, medication paired with psychotherapy is the most effective way to promote recovery. Various interventions and mental health approaches to psychotherapy including but not limited to Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFCT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Humanistic & Existential Therapy, Exposure Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR), Interpersonal Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, Gestalt Therapy, Person-Centered Therapy, Integrative Holistic Therapy.

I'm a psychology major, psychotherapist and a mental health counselor at New Health, Petaling Jaya. Hope this helps.
petlover01
post Dec 7 2017, 05:49 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(eligible @ Nov 25 2017, 02:28 PM)
you can try this as posted earlier https://www.befrienders.org/

they're very nice to talk to. I've experienced with them. They're excellent listener and provide good advise.
For self improvement,
1. you can actually make use of Youtube platform, always put your home page/ decorate your home page things with positive vibes such as positive songs, positive artist/ video [which you should do so to your Social Media's newsfeed such as Facebook]

search for the songs/ video "motivation song" + "motivation video" these actually helps

2. as in for facebook, try to minimised your browsing, because it can actually creates depression where you start to envy what others have, you dont have.

3. read books "self improve/ self-help" books are always best friend, it is just that Malaysia's biggest problem is LACK OF READING. When you stop reading, you stop self improvement, also at the same time, your motivation is gone, where you lost in your mission & goal! It is very important to start reading

4. join social club such as "Toastmaster" or "Leo" club, avoid their politics, look for positive group that can help you.

5. exercise or sports! stay active

6. get a pet, pet can be your best friend! and provide you positive energy too!

last but not least, feel free to pm me, it's been a while since "internet born", i used to help people that have depression.

Those days internet are a friendly corner where we make friends over internet.

Now vmad.gif , crime rate happening.
My problems... are mostly my family... I feel like they ruined my life. And I feel like disown them. I can’t stop thinking what is my fault that I deserve this.

Npad
post Dec 9 2017, 10:54 AM

Casual

QUOTE(petlover01 @ Dec 7 2017, 05:49 PM)
My problems... are mostly my family... I feel like they ruined my life. And I feel like disown them. I can’t stop thinking what is my fault that I deserve this.
Hi there. Do you need someone to talk to? I can help provide a listening ear to you if you would like, for free! Just PM me and maybe I can help? I would love to listen and talk if that is something you would like to do. I've been around depression and suicidal thought for the longest time so I can empathize what you are feeling.
eligible
post Dec 10 2017, 06:26 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(petlover01 @ Dec 7 2017, 05:49 PM)
We're on the same boat, well sometimes we've thought" how to change them", but come to think of it, we've to change ourselves to show them rather changing them. It is who they are. Perhaps, it's a challenge from God for us to live under the same roof with them.
petlover01
post Dec 13 2017, 01:33 PM

QUOTE(eligible @ Dec 10 2017, 06:26 PM)
We're on the same boat, well sometimes we've thought" how to change them", but come to think of it, we've to change ourselves to show them rather changing them. It is who they are. Perhaps, it's a challenge from God for us to live under the same roof with them.
I moved out. So I’m not living with them. But they won’t stop bothering me with their shit.
eligible
post Dec 21 2017, 12:50 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(petlover01 @ Dec 13 2017, 01:33 PM)
I moved out. So I’m not living with them. But they won’t stop bothering me with their shit.
I've feel ya. I always distance from them.

Still no matter where you're, you'll have to come across family talks within friends or colleagues.

In my situation, I would only close my eye for the present and always share about the best and happy moment. Thats how I try to move on smile.gif
petlover01
post Jan 8 2018, 05:46 PM

QUOTE(eligible @ Dec 21 2017, 12:50 PM)
I've feel ya. I always distance from them.

Still no matter where you're, you'll have to come across family talks within friends or colleagues.

In my situation, I would only close my eye for the present and always share about the best and happy moment. Thats how I try to move on smile.gif
Will that makes me an infilial child for doing that?
It upsets my parents that I’m ‘different’ from my siblings.
But it upsets me that they’re constantly trying to compare me with others and expect me to be like everyone lar.
eligible
post Jan 10 2018, 05:24 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(petlover01 @ Jan 8 2018, 05:46 PM)
Will that makes me an infilial child for doing that?
It upsets my parents that I’m ‘different’ from my siblings.
But it upsets me that they’re constantly trying to compare me with others and expect me to be like everyone lar.
Recently attended an appointment with physchology.

We have to find the root cause why you comparing yourself with siblings. Was it because you're being treated unfair since young?
If yes, most likely you're seeking for acknowledgement and love.

In my age. 20 to 35, I've a partner. Suggestion by my doctor would try to seek from your partner rather than your friends or colleagues or family. We can't change mindset from family but we can have what we have.

If you're single, love yourself by treating yourself better. When you always seek for something you doesn't have, why not look at what we have? smile.gif Appreciate.
petlover01
post Jan 10 2018, 06:32 PM

QUOTE(eligible @ Jan 10 2018, 05:24 PM)
Recently attended an appointment with physchology.

We have to find the root cause why you comparing yourself with siblings. Was it because you're being treated unfair since young?
If yes, most likely you're seeking for acknowledgement and love.

In my age. 20 to 35, I've a partner. Suggestion by my doctor would try to seek from your partner rather than your friends or colleagues or family. We can't change mindset from family but we can have what we have.

If you're single, love yourself by treating yourself better. When you always seek for something you doesn't have, why not look at what we have? smile.gif Appreciate.
Yup.. I have a very loving partner. And he’s very supportive to me. I hasn’t been contacting my family for a while and I feel good and relieved.. wondering if this is bad.
eligible
post Jan 13 2018, 12:02 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(petlover01 @ Jan 10 2018, 06:32 PM)
Yup.. I have a very loving partner. And he’s very supportive to me. I hasn’t been contacting my family for a while and I feel good and relieved.. wondering if this is bad.
Life you got a choice. Choose being happy.
Black and white is decision to be wise or not.

Separate black and white from happiness.

Sometimes doing the right thing doesn't makes you happy. You gotta follow your happiness. Live positively. One day, those bad things (storm) perhaps might turn into sunshine..

Control what you can,
Things that can't control, let it free on the sea.
af_1993
post Apr 18 2018, 09:17 AM

Getting Started

hi. I have been suffering from mild cognitive dysfunction for more than 3 years. it has affected my study, social and now working life. It happened out of sudden when I suddenly lost my ability to critically think, my comprehensive skill etc. I couldnt grasp everything that I read or heard. I felt detached to the reality and felt like everything was surreal to me. I had other physical symptoms like constant headaches, tingling sensation etc. I went to see a neuro but results came out normal. Gradually I got into depression and tried almost all anti-depressants but nothing positive.

I'm still having this problem now. I've been working out for almost a year just in case it would make a change but nope. Even now, I'm having difficulties in understanding, reading and my memory skill has dropped drastically. I really feel committing suicide and want to give up my life.

I just want to know if anyone has any other way for me to seek help..thanks
BuzzGeng
post May 2 2018, 09:12 AM

QUOTE(af_1993 @ Apr 18 2018, 09:17 AM)
hi. I have been suffering from mild cognitive dysfunction for more than 3 years. it has affected my study, social and now working life. It happened out of sudden when I suddenly lost my ability to critically think, my comprehensive skill etc. I couldnt grasp everything that I read or heard. I felt detached to the reality and felt like everything was surreal to me. I had other physical symptoms like constant headaches, tingling sensation etc. I went to see a neuro but results came out normal. Gradually I got into depression and tried almost all anti-depressants but nothing positive.

I'm still having this problem now. I've been working out for almost a year just in case it would make a change but nope. Even now, I'm having difficulties in understanding, reading and my memory skill has dropped drastically. I really feel committing suicide and want to give up my life.

I just want to know if anyone has any other way for me to seek help..thanks
Hey first of all, i think you seems perfectly fine and articulated in writing. I think what you feeling is an intense fear of failure and thus you putting pressure yourself what i believe its called performance anxiety. The first step to help you feel better is to just let it go,and ive been in your situation before, what i did was, i adopted this approach of thinking "if i fail, then be it", somehow it helps to lessen my anxiety and i can function again.

I've seek professional therapist and etc it didnt work much for me until i start have " whatever happens, then be it" . i feel less anxiety and have more faith.

I hope this reply help you!

af_1993
post May 2 2018, 09:22 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(BuzzGeng @ May 2 2018, 09:12 AM)
Hey first of all, i think you seems perfectly fine and articulated in writing. I think what you feeling is an intense fear of failure and thus you putting pressure yourself what  i believe its called performance anxiety. The first step to help you feel better is to just let it go,and ive been in your situation before, what i did was, i adopted this approach of thinking  "if i fail, then be it", somehow it helps to lessen my anxiety and i can function again.

I've seek professional therapist and etc it didnt work much for me until i start have " whatever happens, then be it"  . i feel less anxiety and have more faith.

I hope this reply help you!
Hi. Thanks for the reply. But that doesn't explain my lack of ability in comprehending and remembering whatever that have been told to me. Like my boss told me to do something, when I came back to my room I totally forgot until I was reminded by my boss. To be honest, I'm having difficulty in completing/doing my work as I have 'brain fog' all the time.

Now, I have come to the point that I will just go with the flow. I have stopped expecting anything and I accept my weaknesses and 'sickness'.
BuzzGeng
post May 2 2018, 09:26 AM

QUOTE(af_1993 @ May 2 2018, 09:22 AM)
Hi. Thanks for the reply. But that doesn't explain my lack of ability in comprehending and remembering whatever that have been told to me. Like my boss told me to do something, when I came back to my room I totally forgot until I was reminded by my boss. To be honest, I'm having difficulty in completing/doing my work as I have 'brain fog' all the time.

Now, I have come to the point that I will just go with the flow. I have stopped expecting anything and I accept my weaknesses and 'sickness'.
Probably because you having anxiety when you with your boss , thus you can't comprehend or remember your boss instruction, it happens to me too.

Yes just keep with the flow.. let it be. it will helps a lot. just dont think too much
af_1993
post May 2 2018, 04:40 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(BuzzGeng @ May 2 2018, 09:26 AM)
Probably because you having anxiety when you with your boss , thus you can't comprehend or remember your boss instruction, it happens to me too.

Yes just keep with the flow.. let it be. it will helps a lot. just dont think too much
Well it happens to everyone even with my friends..

Btw, appreciate your reply..thanks

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0757sec    1.93    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 07:10 AM