485 Pages « < 477 478 479 480 481 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

Mackiddo
post May 20 2022, 11:15 AM

† St. David †
5,805 posts

QUOTE(jsontextbox @ May 20 2022, 08:10 AM)
Yeah I’m planning to just load them into my car, just a few major items. I’ll try to fill up the relief form I found, see what happens.
Haha in my EP application there was no address stated, my job was applied with my Malaysian address too.

Considering my EP is not yet activated, I don’t think I’m counted as one. On my arrival to SG, I still have to enter as a short term visitor.

oh. apply VEP early. heard it take months to get approval.
Roboguru
post May 20 2022, 03:22 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(jsontextbox @ May 20 2022, 08:10 AM)
Yeah I’m planning to just load them into my car, just a few major items. I’ll try to fill up the relief form I found, see what happens.
Haha in my EP application there was no address stated, my job was applied with my Malaysian address too.

Considering my EP is not yet activated, I don’t think I’m counted as one. On my arrival to SG, I still have to enter as a short term visitor.
i suggest you wait until you settle all formalities first before driving your things into SG.

You will raise suspicion if you do it during your IPA & may run yourself into some trouble.

don't rush things. Actually alot of the things you mentioned can be bought again in SG. Why not take the time to sell it off in Msia first or just let it go?

these sort of things aren't worth the hassle, you drive in, then laterr you need to return the vehicle back to Msia. Why go through all that trouble just for a chair and furniture that can be bought again in SG?
jsontextbox
post May 20 2022, 11:49 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

QUOTE(Roboguru @ May 20 2022, 03:22 PM)
i suggest you wait until you settle all formalities first before driving your things into SG.

You will raise suspicion if you do it during your IPA & may run yourself into some trouble.

don't rush things. Actually alot of the things you mentioned can be bought again in SG. Why not take the time to sell it off in Msia first or just let it go?

these sort of things aren't worth the hassle, you drive in, then laterr you need to return the vehicle back to Msia. Why go through all that trouble just for a chair and furniture that can be bought again in SG?
Maybe I will try to ask LTA if I can drive in.

The most important thing to bring in is actually my computer hardware, with monitors and what not.

So I think at the same time I can bring everything in.

I am planning to not enter with my IPA yet, just drive in as a normal short term visitor, after I drop my things off then I will go back to Malaysia the next day.

What other trouble do you think I might run into? Would it help if I ask someone else to send me in?
gome
post May 22 2022, 12:24 PM

Casual
485 posts

Hi guys, I'll be heading to Singapore for work soon. Office is at harbour front area.

I've been looking around for a room to rent, with the aim of eventually renting a whole unit around 3 months later (when my wife gets her internal transfer).

My question is:
-is room rental rate the same regardless of location? I've been looking at toa payoh, bedok, Bukit merah.... all around SGD800/month
-ive been looking at whole unit for rent too, and the rental rate is also about the same. SGD3200-3400 at Bukit merah for 1140sqft. Around SGD3000 for less nice looking, slightly more sqft in jurong west.
-am I missing something? shouldn't it cost more the nearer u r to cbd? or that only applies when u buy the unit?

Thanks!
deodorant
post May 22 2022, 02:24 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,689 posts

gome If your wife internal transfer is more or less confirmed might as well straightaway search for full unit and don’t waste time and effort to do a 3 mths room rental (ps by right u can’t even rent HDB room for that short a duration, needs to be 6 mths. 3 mths is minimum for private ppt).

This post has been edited by deodorant: May 22 2022, 02:27 PM
gome
post May 22 2022, 03:25 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ May 22 2022, 02:24 PM)
gome If your wife internal transfer is more or less confirmed might as well straightaway search for full unit and don’t waste time and effort to do a 3 mths room rental (ps by right u can’t even rent HDB room for that short a duration, needs to be 6 mths. 3 mths is minimum for private ppt).
Thanks for your input deodorant. Wife's internal transfer isn't something guaranteed, just verbal agreement. Furthermore, it's quite taxing on me to pay 3.4k/month for 3 months on my own. To think of it, might be cheaper to forfeit 3 months of SGD800 rent than 3 months of 3.4k rent with no certainty 🙁.

But back to my question, the rental rate (room or whole unit) doesn't depend much on location?
Mackiddo
post May 22 2022, 05:57 PM

† St. David †
5,805 posts

QUOTE(jsontextbox @ May 20 2022, 11:49 PM)

The most important thing to bring in is actually my computer hardware, with monitors and what not.

I am planning to not enter with my IPA yet, just drive in as a normal short term visitor, after I drop my things off then I will go back to Malaysia the next day.

What other trouble do you think I might run into? Would it help if I ask someone else to send me in?
probably will just ask u why bringing so many things in on social visit pass.
KilJim
post May 23 2022, 08:37 AM

^-_-^ ZzzZzZzZzzz....
Group Icon
Elite
4,418 posts

QUOTE(gome @ May 22 2022, 12:24 PM)
Hi guys, I'll be heading to Singapore for work soon. Office is at harbour front area.

I've been looking around for a room to rent, with the aim of eventually renting a whole unit around 3 months later (when my wife gets her internal transfer).

My question is:
-is room rental rate the same regardless of location? I've been looking at toa payoh, bedok, Bukit merah.... all around SGD800/month
-ive been looking at whole unit for rent too, and the rental rate is also about the same. SGD3200-3400 at Bukit merah for 1140sqft. Around SGD3000 for less nice looking, slightly more sqft in jurong west.
-am I missing something? shouldn't it cost more the nearer u r to cbd? or that only applies when u buy the unit?

Thanks!
Just like anywhere else in the world, the rates are obviously different by area provided all things equal
Age, size, distance to MRT, distance to amenities all will impact the price
If you take a unit nearer to the CBD that is old, small and far from the nearest MRT and compare one that is further away from CBD but newer, bigger, nearer to an MRT station the price may be equal (or even less)

Here's one for $700 at Yishun https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...eet-61-24008670
This is $1200 at Tiong Bahru https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...g-road-19041087

Roboguru
post May 23 2022, 11:02 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

jurong west is too far from cbd. At minimum, you will need 1 & 1/2 hours with multiple bus & mrt transfers to reach office.

Bedok, toa payoh & bukit merah are all considered central locations. about 30-40mins with direct travel to your office.

rental rates have spiked up alot in recent months. Also, don't forget about paying a month deposit for 12 month rental, gas electric & water bill & internet.

The rental market right now is really intense. There too many tenant, agents won't care about you & owners have the freedom to choose who they want to rent to.

My suggestion? Try to find a studio condo around Geylang area first. Then work it out from there.

In SG, you can forget about living in a "big" sqft condo for the first few years.

Until you convert to PR/citizen and aim for your hdb flat.

Roboguru
post May 23 2022, 11:12 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

be careful.. officer may stop you because you not yet a singapore resident.

Social visit pass carrying electronic goods across the border will raise unnecessary suspicion.

Actually, not so easy to drive across the pond these days with Malaysian car requiring approved VEP application.

Can't you buy the Monitor in SG? and cpu hardware can break into carry on luggage bag then bring it with you like that.

No need car but it's up to you. Me personally, I think it's too troublesome for common goods like monitor or Pc parts and you are opening yourself to questioning from officer.
Fiona Chin
post May 23 2022, 12:30 PM

Regular
1,172 posts

What you bring in, you need to think about the time when you going back too, plus the stuff accumulated through out the years, then Malaysia import duty too when crossing borders. Unless go back under REP then can skip import tax.

QUOTE(Roboguru @ May 23 2022, 11:12 AM)
be careful.. officer may stop you because you not yet a singapore resident.

Social visit pass carrying electronic goods across the border will raise unnecessary suspicion.

Actually, not so easy to drive across the pond these days with Malaysian car requiring approved VEP application. 
Can't you buy the Monitor in SG? and cpu hardware can break into carry on luggage bag then bring it with you like that.

No need car but it's up to you. Me personally, I think it's too troublesome for common goods like monitor or Pc parts and you are opening yourself to questioning from officer.
Some people may not have privilege to get new everything in a short period or they just don't want to waste. Ah the good times when 1st moving to SG wub.gif .

This post has been edited by Fiona Chin: May 23 2022, 12:35 PM
gome
post May 23 2022, 01:43 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(KilJim @ May 23 2022, 08:37 AM)
Just like anywhere else in the world, the rates are obviously different by area provided all things equal
Age, size, distance to MRT, distance to amenities all will impact the price
If you take a unit nearer to the CBD that is old, small and far from the nearest MRT and compare one that is further away from CBD but newer, bigger, nearer to an MRT station the price may be equal (or even less)

Here's one for $700 at Yishun https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...eet-61-24008670
This is $1200 at Tiong Bahru https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...g-road-19041087
Yes you're right. The area that I was looking at in Bukit Merah is not that near to a MRT station. Distance is pretty near to office, wonder if cycling is viable. Else it's just bus (which some here mentioned it's not that crowded compared to MRT during peak hours).

QUOTE(Roboguru @ May 23 2022, 11:02 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

jurong west is too far from cbd. At minimum, you will need 1 & 1/2 hours with multiple bus & mrt transfers to reach office.

Bedok, toa payoh & bukit merah are all considered central locations. about 30-40mins with direct travel to your office.

rental rates have spiked up alot in recent months. Also, don't forget about paying a month deposit for 12 month rental, gas electric & water bill & internet.

The rental market right now is really intense. There too many tenant, agents won't care about you & owners have the freedom to choose who they want to rent to.   

My suggestion? Try to find a studio condo around Geylang area first. Then work it out from there.

In SG, you can forget about living in a "big" sqft condo for the first few years.

Until you convert to PR/citizen and aim for your hdb flat.
That's right, jurong west is pretty far away. I was using that location to compare with somewhere nearer to the cbd, and the price is more or less the same. Probably it's the age of the building and proximity to MRT that makes a specific place in bukit merah cost the same as somewhere in jurong west, as KilJim said. Not thinking about living in a "big" sqft hdb/condo anytime soon, as you've said. More of trying to get to know the area and save some funds before my wife (and kid) go over. Renting a studio seems pretty costly and will significantly eat into my target savings. I guess I'll live like a student for the first few months.

Thanks for the replies guys. If anyone cycles to work, do share what it's like. Always thought of doing it in Malaysia, but probably will become road kill in no time. I see there's nice concrete walk path everywhere in Singapore, looks tempting. Of course, there's the problem of sudden rain and availability of shower room in office...

This post has been edited by gome: May 23 2022, 03:31 PM
knwong
post May 23 2022, 01:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,317 posts

QUOTE(gome @ May 23 2022, 01:43 PM)
Yes you're right. The area that I was looking at in Bukit Merah is not that near to a MRT station. Distance is pretty near to office, wonder if cycling is viable. Else it's just bus (which some here mentioned it's not that crowded compared to MRT during peak hours).
That's right, jurong west is pretty far away. I was using that location to compare with somewhere nearer to the cbd, and the price is more or less the same. Probably it's the age of the building and proximity to MRT that makes a specific place in bukit merah cost the same as somewhere in jurong west, as KilJim said. Not thinking about living in a "big" sqft hdb/condo anytime soon, as you've said. More of trying to get to know the area and save some funds before my wife (and kid) go over. Renting a studio seems pretty costly and will significantly eat into my target savings. I guess I'll leave like a student for the first few months.

Thanks for the replies guys. If anyone cycles to work, do share what it's like. Always thought of doing it in Malaysia, but probably will become road kill in no time. I see there's nice concrete walk path everywhere in Singapore, looks tempting. Of course, there's the problem of sudden rain and availability of shower room in office...
You need to make sure there's shower facilities in your office if wanna cycle. You'll drench in sweat arriving to work
Roboguru
post May 23 2022, 02:07 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(gome @ May 23 2022, 01:43 PM)
That's right, jurong west is pretty far away. I was using that location to compare with somewhere nearer to the cbd, and the price is more or less the same. Probably it's the age of the building and proximity to MRT that makes a specific place in bukit merah cost the same as somewhere in jurong west, as KilJim said. Not thinking about living in a "big" sqft hdb/condo anytime soon, as you've said. More of trying to get to know the area and save some funds before my wife (and kid) go over. Renting a studio seems pretty costly and will significantly eat into my target savings. I guess I'll leave like a student for the first few months.

Price gauging and also in SG, not everyone works in the CBD.

Ppl who staying Jurong west mostly working near Tuas, Jurong factory, & etc.

Even Jurong East have a blossoming IT sector.

supposed land scarcity & lack of available rental units in SG is pushing rental prices higher.

I think it will take awhile more before the damage from covid settles.

You don't necessarily have to live like a student. Can enjoy life abit la, since part of working in SG is the expat feel and environment of a first class city.

Infact, I would highly recommend living in expat friendly areas like west or east coast, tiong bahru, henderson, orchard, kallang, & etc. It will make alot of difference to your enjoyment of living in SG. Try renting a bedroom here first and see how it goes. thumbup.gif

Once child and wife come over, can consider renting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment first. IMO, the price for hdb is almost the same as an apartment, without the private facilities. So you might aswell rent private place.

If you live nearby, ya why not cycle to work? However, it's not really common in SG to cycle to work due to the weather. If your workplace has a shower or gym nearby, I guess you can save some cost and cycle. lol. I also cycle to buy my groceries. Having a bike is definitely convenient in SG.

Weekend the roads are always filled with cyclists. SG is nice to explore on a bike. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Roboguru: May 23 2022, 02:19 PM
gome
post May 23 2022, 03:39 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(Roboguru @ May 23 2022, 02:07 PM)
Price gauging and also in SG, not everyone works in the CBD.

Ppl who staying Jurong west mostly working near Tuas, Jurong factory, & etc.

Even Jurong East have a blossoming IT sector.

supposed land scarcity & lack of available rental units in SG is pushing rental prices higher.

I think it will take awhile more before the damage from covid settles.

You don't necessarily have to live like a student. Can enjoy life abit la, since part of working in SG is the expat feel and environment of a first class city.

Infact, I would highly recommend living in expat friendly areas like west or east coast, tiong bahru, henderson, orchard, kallang, & etc. It will make alot of difference to your enjoyment of living in SG. Try renting a bedroom here first and see how it goes.  thumbup.gif

Once child and wife come over, can consider renting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment first. IMO, the price for hdb is almost the same as an apartment, without the private facilities. So you might aswell rent private place.

If you live nearby, ya why not cycle to work? However, it's not really common in SG to cycle to work due to the weather. If your workplace has a shower or gym nearby, I guess you can save some cost and cycle. lol. I also cycle to buy my groceries. Having a bike is definitely convenient in SG.

Weekend the roads are always filled with cyclists. SG is nice to explore on a bike.  biggrin.gif
Makes sense...the whole island is optimized for use...every area is in demand. Someone told me to rent just near where I will be working, and I was thinking "wouldn't that be super expensive??", but it makes sense now. Being a kiamsiap fella, every dollar saved now is every dollar to be enjoyed later happy.gif
bengang15
post May 26 2022, 08:41 PM

36 posts

Just a word of advise on rental. Grab whatever you can. property market is really very hot. we had to offer 5% extra from the displayed price
megadisc
post May 27 2022, 02:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,317 posts

hi

askin for fren

any conveyance home loan lawyer around CCK ? or nearer location

thanks bye.gif

QUOTE(bengang15 @ May 26 2022, 08:41 PM)
Just a word of advise on rental. Grab whatever you can. property market is really very hot. we had to offer 5% extra from the displayed price
thanks for sharing
bengang15
post May 28 2022, 04:33 PM

36 posts

Anything that is cheaper in singapore or worth buying back in malaysia?
knwong
post May 28 2022, 04:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,317 posts

QUOTE(bengang15 @ May 28 2022, 04:33 PM)
Anything that is cheaper in singapore or worth buying back in malaysia?
AV systems, speakers (not those for desktop computers), latest flat screen TVs
bengang15
post May 28 2022, 05:06 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ May 28 2022, 04:40 PM)
AV systems, speakers (not those for desktop computers), latest flat screen TVs
so basically tech stuff?

485 Pages « < 477 478 479 480 481 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0402sec    0.69    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th June 2022 - 03:43 PM