Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

gome
post May 22 2022, 12:24 PM

Casual
485 posts

Hi guys, I'll be heading to Singapore for work soon. Office is at harbour front area.

I've been looking around for a room to rent, with the aim of eventually renting a whole unit around 3 months later (when my wife gets her internal transfer).

My question is:
-is room rental rate the same regardless of location? I've been looking at toa payoh, bedok, Bukit merah.... all around SGD800/month
-ive been looking at whole unit for rent too, and the rental rate is also about the same. SGD3200-3400 at Bukit merah for 1140sqft. Around SGD3000 for less nice looking, slightly more sqft in jurong west.
-am I missing something? shouldn't it cost more the nearer u r to cbd? or that only applies when u buy the unit?

Thanks!
gome
post May 22 2022, 03:25 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ May 22 2022, 02:24 PM)
gome If your wife internal transfer is more or less confirmed might as well straightaway search for full unit and don’t waste time and effort to do a 3 mths room rental (ps by right u can’t even rent HDB room for that short a duration, needs to be 6 mths. 3 mths is minimum for private ppt).
Thanks for your input deodorant. Wife's internal transfer isn't something guaranteed, just verbal agreement. Furthermore, it's quite taxing on me to pay 3.4k/month for 3 months on my own. To think of it, might be cheaper to forfeit 3 months of SGD800 rent than 3 months of 3.4k rent with no certainty 🙁.

But back to my question, the rental rate (room or whole unit) doesn't depend much on location?
gome
post May 23 2022, 01:43 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(KilJim @ May 23 2022, 08:37 AM)
Just like anywhere else in the world, the rates are obviously different by area provided all things equal
Age, size, distance to MRT, distance to amenities all will impact the price
If you take a unit nearer to the CBD that is old, small and far from the nearest MRT and compare one that is further away from CBD but newer, bigger, nearer to an MRT station the price may be equal (or even less)

Here's one for $700 at Yishun https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...eet-61-24008670
This is $1200 at Tiong Bahru https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb...g-road-19041087
Yes you're right. The area that I was looking at in Bukit Merah is not that near to a MRT station. Distance is pretty near to office, wonder if cycling is viable. Else it's just bus (which some here mentioned it's not that crowded compared to MRT during peak hours).

QUOTE(Roboguru @ May 23 2022, 11:02 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

jurong west is too far from cbd. At minimum, you will need 1 & 1/2 hours with multiple bus & mrt transfers to reach office.

Bedok, toa payoh & bukit merah are all considered central locations. about 30-40mins with direct travel to your office.

rental rates have spiked up alot in recent months. Also, don't forget about paying a month deposit for 12 month rental, gas electric & water bill & internet.

The rental market right now is really intense. There too many tenant, agents won't care about you & owners have the freedom to choose who they want to rent to.   

My suggestion? Try to find a studio condo around Geylang area first. Then work it out from there.

In SG, you can forget about living in a "big" sqft condo for the first few years.

Until you convert to PR/citizen and aim for your hdb flat.
That's right, jurong west is pretty far away. I was using that location to compare with somewhere nearer to the cbd, and the price is more or less the same. Probably it's the age of the building and proximity to MRT that makes a specific place in bukit merah cost the same as somewhere in jurong west, as KilJim said. Not thinking about living in a "big" sqft hdb/condo anytime soon, as you've said. More of trying to get to know the area and save some funds before my wife (and kid) go over. Renting a studio seems pretty costly and will significantly eat into my target savings. I guess I'll live like a student for the first few months.

Thanks for the replies guys. If anyone cycles to work, do share what it's like. Always thought of doing it in Malaysia, but probably will become road kill in no time. I see there's nice concrete walk path everywhere in Singapore, looks tempting. Of course, there's the problem of sudden rain and availability of shower room in office...

This post has been edited by gome: May 23 2022, 03:31 PM
gome
post May 23 2022, 03:39 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(Roboguru @ May 23 2022, 02:07 PM)
Price gauging and also in SG, not everyone works in the CBD.

Ppl who staying Jurong west mostly working near Tuas, Jurong factory, & etc.

Even Jurong East have a blossoming IT sector.

supposed land scarcity & lack of available rental units in SG is pushing rental prices higher.

I think it will take awhile more before the damage from covid settles.

You don't necessarily have to live like a student. Can enjoy life abit la, since part of working in SG is the expat feel and environment of a first class city.

Infact, I would highly recommend living in expat friendly areas like west or east coast, tiong bahru, henderson, orchard, kallang, & etc. It will make alot of difference to your enjoyment of living in SG. Try renting a bedroom here first and see how it goes.  thumbup.gif

Once child and wife come over, can consider renting a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment first. IMO, the price for hdb is almost the same as an apartment, without the private facilities. So you might aswell rent private place.

If you live nearby, ya why not cycle to work? However, it's not really common in SG to cycle to work due to the weather. If your workplace has a shower or gym nearby, I guess you can save some cost and cycle. lol. I also cycle to buy my groceries. Having a bike is definitely convenient in SG.

Weekend the roads are always filled with cyclists. SG is nice to explore on a bike.  biggrin.gif
Makes sense...the whole island is optimized for use...every area is in demand. Someone told me to rent just near where I will be working, and I was thinking "wouldn't that be super expensive??", but it makes sense now. Being a kiamsiap fella, every dollar saved now is every dollar to be enjoyed later happy.gif
gome
post May 31 2022, 12:18 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ May 30 2022, 11:26 PM)

gome - At the minimum since ur wife coming over - rent a master bedroom circa 1200
Even if it didn't pan out for your wife its still like 300 over a common room circa 900 and you get a big bed.
Renting separately solo aka 2 single rooms will be more costly.
3.4k a month is overkill.. unless you really earning 20k sing then its a diff story altogether.
No need to waste money, if you're earning good money chances are you won't be staying at home much.. treat the house like hotel only.
Sembawang area not too bad.. cross the mall and cross the street is home. Suitable for red line peeps.

Thanks for your input. When my family goes over, it'll be my wife and baby...so renting a Master Room is not viable. 3.4k a month is considered overkill eh? When I looked around carousell and propertyguru, that's like the lower median price already. What's the normal "affordable" range, ~2.6k?

Since the rental rate is pretty flat regardless of location, I'm thinking why not rent nearer to the CBD (Bukit Merah? Tiong Bharu?) and cut the transport time. HDB minimum 6 months....hmm might need to tumpang at relative's house as backup plan if can't find room at condo wink.gif
gome
post May 31 2022, 10:15 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(crazy25kid @ May 31 2022, 05:32 PM)
Just curious when you mentioned condo.
In Singapore, HDB and condo are considered different categories, hence price difference.
Generally, renting a HDB would be sufficient.
Yeah, my situation is that I plan to rent a room for about 3 months before my family comes over, after which I'll then rent a whole unit. Seems like I can't rent a room in a HDB for just 3 months, because the minimum is 6 months. So as some has advised, condo is the only way to go for that 3 month room rent.
gome
post Jun 1 2022, 09:39 AM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(bengang15 @ Jun 1 2022, 01:16 AM)
let me give you a little perspective.

HDB price is around 3200-3750 for 3 room (12xx soft) CCK and Bukit Panjang Area

Condo(2 room 1000sqft) cck- SGD3200, Condo (3 room -1200sqft)-SGD 3800-SGD4100 - all these are old development

currently property market is very very competitive. according to my agent, its because a lot of development was put on hold due to covid and people wanting to escape lockdown are coming to singapore.

in fact i have to pay 5% above advertise price to secure a place. went to view a place, made an offer less than a week - already taken
Thanks for your input. The HDB whole unit rental price seems to be inline with what I'm seeing so far. ceo684 said it's overkill, maybe she knows some cheaper ones (pls pm me biggrin.gif ). I just checked the whole unit rentals that I bookmarked 2 weeks ago, true enough, all are no longer being listed. Good luck to me cry.gif

This post has been edited by gome: Jun 1 2022, 10:13 AM
gome
post Jun 9 2022, 01:09 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(gome @ May 31 2022, 10:15 PM)
Yeah, my situation is that I plan to rent a room for about 3 months before my family comes over, after which I'll then rent a whole unit. Seems like I can't rent a room in a HDB for just 3 months, because the minimum is 6 months. So as some has advised, condo is the only way to go for that 3 month room rent.
Just discovered there's something called co-living space. Seems like room rental but with a short term lease of 3 months. Anyone has experience with "co-living space"?
gome
post Jun 9 2022, 04:10 PM

Casual
485 posts

Yes, many providing this co-living service. From the looks of it, most of them are >$1000. Back to carousell/trovit search for me.
gome
post Jun 20 2022, 01:23 PM

Casual
485 posts

Hello, sorry I have rental questions again. I was introduced to a landlord who was willing to rent out a room in their HDB flat for 3 months, but on an informal basis. This will not be acceptable for my EP because it's not registered with HDB, right? Anyone has experience renting a HDB flat for less than 6 months?

edit - addition questions:
1. What about living with a relative in a HDB, where no rental is involved? How does one fulfill the EP requirements? This is an option that I have, but prefer not to take.
2. Does MOM come to check where you live, and make sure that you stay there for at least 6 months (HDB) or 3 months (private apartment)?
3. If let's say I rent a HDB room for 6 months, break the contract after 3 months and move to another location, will there be any issues with the EP (assuming I've already negotiated the penalty with the landlord)?

Or basically any residential address will be sufficient to get the EP card processed, and where I stay doesn't matter, as long as it's updated by company/MOM?

This post has been edited by gome: Jun 21 2022, 10:01 AM
gome
post Jun 21 2022, 10:12 AM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Jun 20 2022, 10:24 PM)
this careful man... cz normally.. if rent out unit.. landlord normally should have some procedure to follow... cz it is taxable... Unauthorised renting out of flat might be something risk.. esp if kepo neighbours.. laugh.gif

some reading can read here.
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/business/estate-agen...nting-out-flats
Yeah, seems like if the landlord gets caught, their HDB can be taken back. I've edited my post with some additional questions, hope someone can share some experience (I asked my sg HR and they're not helpful at all):

1. What about living with a relative in a HDB, where no rental is involved? How does one fulfill the EP requirements? This is an option that I have, but prefer not to take.
2. Does MOM come to check where you live, and make sure that you stay there for at least 6 months (HDB) or 3 months (private apartment)?
3. If let's say I rent a HDB room for 6 months, break the contract after 3 months and move to another location, will there be any issues with the EP (assuming I've already negotiated the penalty with the landlord)?

Or basically any residential address will be sufficient to get the EP card processed, and where I stay doesn't matter, as long as it's updated by company/MOM?
gome
post Jun 21 2022, 11:03 AM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(VinluV @ Jun 21 2022, 10:27 AM)
1. Not a problem. Your relative just have to add u into the list of occupiers.
2. No. why waste time.
3. No problem with EP, just more admin work for you. After you change address and phone number you have to update your company to ask them help you update your address and phone number in the mom portal.
Thanks for the response. Based on the replies, doesn't it sound like landlords can easily break the "HDB lease for at least 6 months" rule if they add an occupant as their "relative"? With this, they basically they can rent out without informing HDB for any duration they desire, right?
gome
post Jun 21 2022, 11:59 AM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(VinluV @ Jun 21 2022, 11:26 AM)
dude.
if you're planning to come to Singapore and start doing funny things like this to save some $$$, please don't come.

Technically. This is a grey area. you can stay with landlord as his for free, and you pay under table money.
He just update you as occupier instead of tenant in hdb portal.

HOWEVER.
You abuse grey area, your landlord risk losing his hdb, you risk getting caught and deported, and other Malaysians have a harder time in the worse case scenario.

If you want short term can look at coliving space from $800 a room a month.
Thanks, agreed on your view that one shouldn't be doing funny things. Just trying to be more informed, no plans on breaking the law, especially as someone who intends to move there with my family. Your input has been valuable and eye opening.

I've looked at some co-living sites. Saw a decent one offered for $850, but apparently already taken, though it's always listed on the website. I guess it's more worth it trade my time with a 1 hr+ commute from relatives place than the risk of renting 'under table' rooms wink.gif
gome
post Jun 26 2022, 03:03 PM

Casual
485 posts

QUOTE(malleus @ Jun 26 2022, 09:49 AM)
This probably does not happen often, but I did have ppl from MOM knocked on my door before, asking if certain ppl still living here or not. Then they asked me to pass a message to the landlord to update some details on who the current residents are.
Thanks for going through the many posts and provide a reply on this. Much appreciated. I probably may have been a bit too paranoid on this, as there doesn't seem to be much discussion on this, and landlords doesn't seem too concerned on his either.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0438sec    0.41    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th July 2022 - 08:26 PM