Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> T8 Fluorescent LED Tube Light replacement, Retrofitting LED tube to existing casing

views

TSmot88
post Jan 18 2017, 09:42 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
141 posts

There are lots of question on retro-fitting or modification needed to fit existing T8 tubes that normal household used. I have decided to conduct some research as most electrical or lighting shops unable to explain properly.

The normal fluorescent light fitted in household is T8, also known as "Lampu Kalimantang". The colour is usually white in colour. The colour code is also known as 'cool daylight' or 6500k

Before we start, we need to determine what type of ballast is being used. There are 2 types being magnetic or electronic.

Magnetic ballast
Majority household is using magnetic ballast. It the casing has a starter, then it would be this type. To verify the tube would not instantly start-up but flicker a few moments.

Electronic ballast
Newer type of ballast which uses no starter and the tube will light up almost instantly.

How to replace the existing fluorescent light for magnetic ballast

Type A : Applicable for most Malaysian made and China made LED such as FSL/RealMagic etc.. (exclude Philips or GE). This type of tube rely 1 side to supply Live (L) and the other side Neutral (N) to power the led tube.

Method 1:
• Remove the starter. Yes, you only need to remove the starter and it will work.
Pros: anyone could do it and backward compatible if one decide to use back the standard fluro tube.
Cons: magnetic ballast consume 6-8 watt in additional to led tube wattage. I am not sure if the life of the tube is shorter using this method but the function of ballast is only limiting the current flow. LED need less current than normal tube.

Method 2:
• Remove or bypass the magnetic ballast and remove the starter. Usually the 'Live' wire from ceiling/wall goes into ballast and and wire from ballast into a terminal of the tube pin.
Pros: no wastage of power consumed by ballast.
Cons: need to re-wire and difficult to do if you plan to do it while at the ceiling without taking down the casing.

Refer to diagram below:
user posted image

Type B : Applicable for Philips/ GE type of Led tube . This type of tube rely only 1 side of the tube to supply 'L' and 'N'. The other side of pins (2 in total) is dummy terminal. To clarify, T8 tube has 4 pins, with 2 pins on each side.
user posted image

Method 1 (most popular)
Tube such as Philips Ecofit supplied with EMP starter. This EMP starter is actually a dummy starter. There is no capacitor but just a wire loop to connect 2 side of the starter. A normal starter has capacitor inside it. Without the EMP or dummy starter, the tube will not work.

Pros: same pros as Type A -Method 1
Cons: same cons as Type A- Method 1

How to replace the existing fluorescent light for electronic ballast
Bypass or remove the electronic ballast and there is no other way or short cut.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 18 2017, 11:29 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  t8_tube_wiring.pdf ( 190.61k ) Number of downloads: 1722
TSmot88
post Jan 18 2017, 10:14 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

In summary for majority of household, one could just remove the starter to fit in a T8 LED tube without additional modification.

A normal fluorescent tube is around RM 6 to RM 8 and a decent quality LED tube is around RM 15 to RM 25. Do look for 2000 lumens type if you having high ceiling. Typical a normal LED tube is only 1600 lumens. 2000 lumens led tube is on par or exceed the brightness of normal T8 Philips Bright boost tube (green end cap model)

It is worthwhile to replace your normal T8 if the tube is blown or you are using it very often. Other than savings money, LED tube is longer lifespan and instant start, without the annoying blinking moment. Also useful if you frequently switch on and off the light, eg in kitchen or bathroom.

matrix88
post Jan 18 2017, 10:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,099 posts

sure it is brighter than philips bright boost? if yes i am interested to replace
TSmot88
post Jan 18 2017, 10:59 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Yes, on par or exceed for the 2000 lumens model. I have a 5 year old Bright boost (BB) and a new 2000 lumens led tube, comparing side by side, led definitely brighter. The comparison conducted on an aged normal tube with new led. If compare new BB to new 2000 led, it would be at least on par or exceed BB.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 18 2017, 11:01 PM
idoblu
post Jan 19 2017, 05:01 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

The 2000 lumens uses how many watt? Thanks
TSmot88
post Jan 19 2017, 08:43 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

2000 lumens led tube typically uses 22 to 23w for Malaysian and China brand. Philips one more efficient using 18w (mid top range) and 20w (mid). However, price for Philips Master series 20w 2100 lumens would be 3x pricier to Malaysian /China brand.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 19 2017, 09:25 AM
irwan6179
post Jan 19 2017, 12:05 PM

Regular
1,036 posts

I use Mr DIY T5 LED, RM17 and comes with the base.. quite okay for replacing the old fluorescent. Really like the instant on of LED. the oldest one is over a year already. No problem yet.
TSmot88
post Jan 20 2017, 02:52 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

All Malaysian and China T5 led tube came integrated with base and small clip to install on ceiling or wall. Mr DIY stuff are not bad and easily available.

The all in one T5 (tube & integrated base) need to be discarded when the led or tube is spoilt.

To clarify on misconception that T5 is shorter than T8, thats not true. The "T" designation is only referring to diameter of the tube.
T8 is 1 inch diameter (standard tube)
T5 is 5/8 inch diameter (slimmer tube)

The normal lenght for Malaysian household used tube is 4 feet and the short one is 2 feet. Both 2 and 4 feet tubes are available in T5 and T8.

idoblu
post Jan 20 2017, 03:44 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 20 2017, 02:52 PM)
All  Malaysian and China T5 led tube came integrated with base and small clip to install on ceiling or wall. Mr DIY stuff are not bad and easily available.

The all in one T5  (tube & integrated base) need to be discarded when the led or tube is spoilt.

To clarify on misconception that T5 is shorter than T8, thats not true. The "T" designation is only referring to diameter of the tube.
T8 is 1 inch diameter (standard tube)
T5 is 5/8 inch diameter (slimmer tube)

The normal lenght for Malaysian household used tube is 4 feet and the short one is 2 feet. Both 2 and 4 feet tubes are available in T5 and T8.
in your research, which is better? T5 or T8 (both also LED)
compare energy usage and lumens
TSmot88
post Jan 20 2017, 05:08 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

There is no clear advantage between each type as the tube is basically a cover /housing with inbuilt driver. However, some may find t8 is slightly better as with bigger housing, the lesser heat in it. Led will perform poorly if there is too much heat.

On summary, T5 for confined space and T8 for otherwise.
aeiou228
post Jan 20 2017, 11:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,831 posts

Type A, method 1.
Why the ballast still consuming 6 -8 watts after starter removed and lamp replaced to LED ?
TSmot88
post Jan 21 2017, 09:28 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Jan 20 2017, 11:28 PM)
Type A, method 1.
Why the ballast still consuming 6 -8 watts after starter removed and lamp replaced to LED ?
If you open the fluorescent casing, 'L' wire goes into directly into magnetic ballast (from your main source/ DB) and out of it then to the pin socket under normal fluorescent wiring. Removing the starter is only breaking up the other loop from left side pin to right side.

Function of ballast is limiting the current flow. The current flow after magnetic ballast is more than sufficient for LED. LED could be wired directly to 'L' and 'N'.
Think of magnetic ballast in this case as a 'middleman / agent'. Instead of getting your goods from whole seller, one choose to still continue the tradition to get from agent (which more expensive -lah). With or without magnetic ballast the LED still works but consume more electricity.

I am sharing the knowledge as the info is scattered everywhere in the forum and the lighting shop is not much help either. The purpose of this thread is to consolidate the info and adding my experience in changing the normal fluorescent to LED tubes

For better understanding on the fluorescent light wiring (the foundation), this link with pic is quite good biggrin.gif
http://www.louyeh.com/how-to-wire-up-a-sim...orescent-light/
aeiou228
post Jan 21 2017, 11:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,831 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 21 2017, 09:28 AM)
If you open the fluorescent casing, 'L' wire goes into directly into magnetic ballast (from your main source/ DB) and out of it then to the pin socket under normal fluorescent wiring. Removing the starter is only breaking up the other loop from left side pin to right side.

Function of ballast is limiting the current flow. The current flow after magnetic ballast is more than sufficient for LED. LED could be wired directly to 'L' and 'N'.
Think of magnetic ballast in this case as a 'middleman / agent'.  Instead of getting your goods from whole seller, one choose to still continue the tradition to get from agent (which more expensive -lah). With or without magnetic ballast the LED still works but consume more electricity.

I am sharing the knowledge as the info is scattered everywhere in the forum and the lighting shop is not much help either. The purpose of this thread is to consolidate the info and adding my experience in changing the normal fluorescent to LED tubes

For better understanding on the fluorescent light wiring (the foundation), this link with pic is quite good  biggrin.gif 
http://www.louyeh.com/how-to-wire-up-a-sim...orescent-light/
I actually replaced quite a few T8 LEDs using the existing fixtures. I re-wired to bypass ballast some of them but some times when I lazy to do the re-wire, I just removed the starter without ballast bypass.
I always have this doubt in mind that if I don't bypass the ballast, will the ballast consume electricity?
I hear various opinions, some said it will not, coz no starter and no fluorescent lamp, the ballast will not 'function' as it should and it merely acted as a conductor to let the current flow thru. Some said it will consume a tiny bit of wattage and the now you said it will consume 6 - 8 watts.
Let's summon sifu Richard and hear what's his opinion about this.
Richard
post Jan 21 2017, 01:51 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Jan 21 2017, 11:55 AM)
I actually replaced quite a few T8 LEDs using the existing fixtures. I re-wired to bypass ballast some of them but some times when I lazy to do the re-wire, I just removed the starter without ballast bypass.
I always have this doubt in mind that if I don't bypass the ballast, will the ballast consume electricity?
I hear various opinions, some said it will not, coz no starter and no fluorescent lamp, the ballast will not 'function' as it should and it merely acted as a conductor to let the current flow thru. Some said it will consume a tiny bit of wattage and the now you said it will consume 6 - 8 watts.
Let's summon sifu Richard and hear what's his opinion about this.
ahem.. sifu here.. (actually its master sifu since i have technical certificate..)

In a standard fluorescent fitting..

The ballast acts as inductor to limit the current and increases voltage (by the fluctuating magnetic field in its coil) so as to make the tube fluoresce via the starter (bimetallic contact)..

hmm..

anyway because it is an alternating current (sinusoidal voltage) there is a power factor where some heating happens within the inductor (ballast) which is the reason for the reactive power loss..

Hell .. I can't explain technical things in a simple way but if you run an ac current through a coil there will be some heating ..

This heat translates as a loss in efficiency of the load..

Edit * Of course in an LED where the current is in the mA it will be negligible thus you can leave it in circuit and it won't matter..

technically there will be some power loss but not in the magnitude of 6-8 Watts (milliwatts in direct proportional to the current) ..

This post has been edited by Richard: Jan 21 2017, 02:05 PM
TSmot88
post Jan 21 2017, 02:03 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Thanks Richard for chipping in. Btw, the starter has no function after the tube is lighted in normal fluorescent tube. One can try and unplug the starter after the fluorescent tube lighted. it will continue to work. Therefore, the myth that once the starter is removed, the function of ballast is not needed is inaccurate. The moment the ballast is functioning, it consume small amount of electricity.

It is good to clear doubt as there is too many misinterpretation especially when seeking clarification from lighting shop.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 21 2017, 02:34 PM
Richard
post Jan 21 2017, 02:07 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 21 2017, 02:03 PM)
Thanks Richard for chipping in. Btw, the starter has no function after the tube is lighted in normal fluorescent tube. One can try and unplug the starter after the fluorescent tube lighted. it will continue to work. Therefore, the myth that once the starter is removed, the function of ballast is not needed is inaccurate. The moment the ballast is functioning, it consume small amount of electricity.

It is good to clear doubt as there is too many misinterpretation especially when seeking clarification from lighting shop.
yes..

Edit * the fluorescent needs the ballasts to work or it will burn out the filaments ends..

This post has been edited by Richard: Jan 21 2017, 02:11 PM
aeiou228
post Jan 21 2017, 02:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,831 posts

QUOTE(Richard @ Jan 21 2017, 01:51 PM)
ahem..  sifu here.. (actually its master sifu since i have technical certificate..)

The ballast acts as inductor to limit the current and increases voltage (by the fluctuating magnetic field in its coil) so as to make the tube fluoresce via the starter (bimetallic contact)..

hmm..

anyway because it is an alternating current (sinusoidal voltage) there is a power factor where some heating happens within the inductor (ballast) which is the reason for the reactive power loss..

Hell .. I can't explain technical things in a simple way but if you run an ac current through a coil there will be some heating ..

Edit * Of course in an LED where the current is in the mA it will be negligible thus you can leave it in circuit and it won't matter..

technically there will be some power loss but not in the magnitude of 6-8 Watts (milliwatts in direct proportional to the current) ..
Thank you sir.

Will the ballast power loss factor is much lesser in a LED fitting compare to fluorescent fitting?
TSmot88
post Jan 21 2017, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Richard @ Jan 21 2017, 01:51 PM)
ahem..  sifu here.. (actually its master sifu since i have technical certificate..)

hmm..

A trivia, if the power consumption of ballast is proportionate to the current of the tube, then logically it would still consume a few watts as LED at its best is consuming slightly less than half of normal fluorescent wattage, lowest being 16 watt (LED) as compare to 36w (normal tube). A normal magnetic ballast fitted with fluorescent tube consume approximately the amount mentioned.

*Edited to share more info as below biggrin.gif

Source 1
Energy efficient magnetic ballasts (required by law since 1988) are 10 to 12 percent more efficient than older- types because of the higher performance materials used in their manufacture. They have lower maintenance costs, longer life (three year warranty) and cooler operation than their predecessors. They operate the lamps at the nominal 430 ma. and allow the lamps to produce greater than 92.5% of rated lumens. They consume eight to 10 watts when operating with the lamp in the circuit. The ballast will consume about four watts when the lamps are removed although the ballast is still energized.

Further reading http://www.naturallighting.com

Source 2
Magnetic ballasts are "older" fluorescent technology. The electronic ballast was introduced in 1981 and produces significant energy and dollar savings over magnetic ballasts in nearly every application for full-sized fluorescent lamps. The electronic ballast is flicker-free and produces virtually no noise or hum. Electronic ballasts will generally reduce the overall load on a circuit by reducing energy demand; magnetic ballasts by comparison consume on the average 2-6 watts more energy that their electronic replacements.

Further reading http://www.ultraluxlight.com/fluorescent tube

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 21 2017, 05:56 PM
TSmot88
post Feb 9 2017, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Let me share some info on T8 Fluro tube

Philips Ecofit 16w, 1600 lumens, 4 ft
Price: about RM 27- RM 32
Availability: Most lighting shop, Aeon Big

This is the only branded retrofit led t8 tube available locally. The brightness is average and nothing to shout about. I would rate around 75% to 80% brightness of normal aged t8 tube. Didn't have new normal t8 tube to compare with. Ecofit is supplied with EMP starter (actually just a dummy starter). Installation: just remove the existing starter and put in the supplied starter. I don't think it worth the money as currently there is no promo. Last time promo, price is RM 23.90 at Aeon Big.

Hope to hear from you if you would you have other t8 led tube experience.

duckaton
post Feb 14 2017, 09:09 PM

Progress is Imminent
1,216 posts

advisable to bypass the ballast.
if fit led with just removing the starter, it will work.
until the ballast fail,

then scratch head whether led tube or ballast failed.
burn368
post Apr 16 2017, 10:09 PM

7 posts

If we buy those china LED fixture lamp, (like Mr. DIY) , can I just simply change the led tube with the phillips ecofit LED tube ?
TSmot88
post Apr 22 2017, 12:56 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(burn368 @ Apr 16 2017, 10:09 PM)
If we buy those china LED fixture lamp, (like Mr. DIY) , can I just simply change the led tube with the phillips ecofit LED tube ?
If you are using the old type fluorescent bracket, just remove the normal starter and install the EMP starter a.k.a dummy starter that supplied with the Ecofit LEd tube.

If your existing bracket is new type (without the place to install starter), you can't change the China LED T8 to Ecofit without modifying the wiring inside the bracket.
ZZR-Pilot
post Apr 22 2017, 10:35 AM

Regular
1,049 posts

Guys.... got sell LED tubes that output warm white light (3500k) or not?
qwerty223
post Apr 22 2017, 02:13 PM

On my way
670 posts

tube light is still having the best efficient compare the to LED. No point to replace them.
rietz
post May 6 2017, 11:08 PM

8 posts

Just buy 4ft T8 led from philips warehouse sale. RM12.50 per unit. Not yet test the brightness..
TSmot88
post May 6 2017, 11:15 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(rietz @ May 6 2017, 11:08 PM)
Just buy 4ft T8 led from philips warehouse sale. RM12.50 per unit. Not yet test the brightness..
Ecofit series?

Update - 7 May
Just went to the warehouse, it is the Phlips 'FeiFan' series which is Chinese market version of Ecofit. The rating and output is 16w 1600 lumens. For the price (RM 12.50) it is cheap for branded t8. Seemed tht not many ppl buying the t8. Only the led bulb e27 is having good sale.

This post has been edited by mot88: May 7 2017, 05:27 PM
knog33
post May 20 2017, 12:22 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ May 6 2017, 11:15 PM)
Ecofit series?

Update - 7 May
Just went to the warehouse, it is the Phlips 'FeiFan' series which is Chinese market version of Ecofit. The rating and output is 16w 1600 lumens. For the price (RM 12.50) it is cheap for branded t8. Seemed tht not many ppl buying the t8. Only the led bulb e27 is having good sale.
Ecofit LEDtube provide starter?
TSmot88
post May 20 2017, 12:37 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(knog33 @ May 20 2017, 12:22 AM)
Ecofit LEDtube provide starter?
Yes

aeiou228
post May 20 2017, 11:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,831 posts

Just sharing.

Mr DIY 4' LED T8 retrofitted to existing T12 fixture with ballast bypassed.
Power on 10 hours everyday for about a year now. Still working good.

Power saving :
T12 fluorescent : 40w / 0.88 ballast factor = 45.45w
T8 LED : 18w

Honestly, I can't tell from my naked eyes if there is any brightness/lumen difference between the T12 and T8

more2teayap
post Jul 9 2017, 09:05 PM

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
2,721 posts

Today I tried replacing my old fluorescent with a philips ecofit, i change the existing starter to the philips EMP starter, then fit the tube in, works fine. later tonight when i switch it on, it blinks then it only glows with a very dim light.

Is there anything that I done wrong? I tried playing with the tube fitting and the starter fitting it seems that nothing works.. sad.gif
flowerhorn08
post Aug 13 2017, 11:02 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(more2teayap @ Jul 9 2017, 09:05 PM)
Today I tried replacing my old fluorescent with a philips ecofit, i change the existing starter to the philips EMP starter, then fit the tube in, works fine. later tonight when i switch it on, it blinks then it only glows with a very dim light.

Is there anything that I done wrong? I tried playing with the tube fitting and the starter fitting it seems that nothing works.. sad.gif
Perhaps the magnetic ballast is a bit old.

flowerhorn08
post Aug 13 2017, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ May 6 2017, 11:15 PM)
Ecofit series?

Update - 7 May
MR DIY store is selling Philips Ecofit for RM11.50
xjia
post Aug 13 2017, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

Guys, where can i get two tubes LED T8 bracket? most of the shops only have bracket for one LED tube.

Or can i just buy normal florescent 2 tube bracket and fix my LED T8 tube into it ? rclxub.gif

And i cant find LED T8 tubes with 2000lumens, most of them selling T8 16W with 1600Lumens. sad.gif

Thanks
alexander3133
post Aug 14 2017, 07:57 AM

Regular
1,649 posts

QUOTE(xjia @ Aug 13 2017, 11:53 PM)
Guys, where can i get two tubes LED T8 bracket? most of the shops only have bracket for one LED tube.
Or can i just buy normal florescent 2 tube bracket and fix my LED T8 tube into it ? rclxub.gif

And i cant find LED T8 tubes with 2000lumens, most of them selling T8 16W with 1600Lumens.  sad.gif

Thanks
GE has the T8 tubes you want, but not sure where still got stock in Malaysia.
If you stay in Penang, you can try ask this company "Alt-Tech Electrical & Trading"

http://catalog.gelighting.com/apac/lamp/le...=0/?l=en&r=apac

Richard
post Aug 17 2017, 08:59 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(more2teayap @ Jul 9 2017, 09:05 PM)

unscrew the starter?

Just realized i replied to a post 8 days ago.. lol..

This post has been edited by Richard: Aug 17 2017, 09:01 PM
more2teayap
post Aug 17 2017, 09:07 PM

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
2,721 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Aug 13 2017, 11:02 AM)
Perhaps the magnetic ballast is a bit old.
QUOTE(Richard @ Aug 17 2017, 08:59 PM)
unscrew the starter?

Just realized i replied to a post 8 days ago.. lol..
I think either the ballast or the mount is at faulty, it's almost 30 years anyway.. Just changed to E27 mount, settled, case close~ biggrin.gif
birain
post Aug 18 2017, 09:18 AM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

so many words and no video.....here's a tutorial about converting to LED tube light.

nuke13
post Aug 23 2017, 11:10 AM

Casual
460 posts

How about converting MR16 50w spotlight with normal LED spotlight?
TSmot88
post Aug 23 2017, 11:58 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(nuke13 @ Aug 23 2017, 11:10 AM)
How about converting MR16 50w spotlight with normal LED spotlight?
I have changed normal halogen mr16 25w with Philips led mr16 5w. No issue just plug and play.As long as the wattage is not higher than the halogen transformer can support. Normal transformer (aka driver) for halogen supports till 60w.

TSmot88
post Aug 24 2017, 12:10 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(xjia @ Aug 13 2017, 11:53 PM)

And i cant find LED T8 tubes with 2000lumens, most of them selling T8 16W with 1600Lumens.  sad.gif

Thanks
You can use the normal fluro bracket to fit the led if cant find the t8 led bracket. The different of normal bracket with led bracket is the size is slimmer and no starter hole. Other than that everything is the same. If ballast is pre installed, just screw/slide it out.

There is a local made t8 tube with output 2000 lumens but higher wattage. I think someone is selling it in garage sale thread in lowyat .

The output for 16w 1600 lumens is low by today standard, just like Philips Ecofit. FSL brand (China made) 18w with 1600 lumens is brighter than ecofit although same lumen quoted.
nuke13
post Aug 24 2017, 08:57 AM

Casual
460 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Aug 23 2017, 11:58 PM)
I have changed normal halogen mr16 25w with Philips led mr16 5w. No issue just plug and play.As long as the wattage is not higher than the halogen transformer can support. Normal transformer (aka driver) for halogen supports till 60w.
Thanks!! thumbup.gif
wirahijau
post Aug 30 2017, 08:45 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Aug 13 2017, 12:03 PM)
MR DIY store is selling Philips Ecofit for RM11.50
Anyone got info Mr DIY around Selayang that still got stock this Phillips ecofit as in Selayang mall finish already
jason1986
post Aug 30 2017, 10:34 PM

On my way
671 posts

https://www.facebook.com/100valuelighting/?flyingspaghettimonster=py_c

go check it out.

Philips with casing only rm12. Their in house brand t8 only RM5.90 + Rm3 for casing if u need.

Downlight 12watt only RM9.90.

Promo supposed to be for August only. Not sure they are open tomorrow or not. call them to ask.
wirahijau
post Aug 31 2017, 12:28 PM

35 posts

Thanks bro
b0rhui
post Oct 3 2017, 11:13 PM

On my way
678 posts

Dear all sifus here notworthy.gif

I'd love to retrofit t8 led tubes into my existing magnetic ballast housing (with starter).

From my understanding above, if I choose to go with philips ecofit 16w, the only option is method 1 removing the starter. But it has cons such as ballast going failure, ballast consuming more wattage. So if I wanna remove the ballast and rewire I have to get type A LED tubes, right?

I currently use 10 x 18W T8 2ft tubes and 6 x 36W T8 4ft tubes. Would it actually be worthwhile to pay more for the LED tubes?

flowerhorn08
post Oct 4 2017, 09:13 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

Dear all sifus here notworthy.gif

I'd love to retrofit t8 led tubes into my existing magnetic ballast housing (with starter).

From my understanding above, if I choose to go with philips ecofit 16w, the only option is method 1 removing the starter. But it has cons such as ballast going failure, ballast consuming more wattage. So if I wanna remove the ballast and rewire I have to get type A LED tubes, right?

The Philips Ecofit can be fitted without using the ballast. I have actually join the 2 wires connecting the ballast directly. However, the power saving from using the ballast and not using the ballast with the Ecofit LED lamp is negligible, in terms of mW.

I currently use 10 x 18W T8 2ft tubes and 6 x 36W T8 4ft tubes. Would it actually be worthwhile to pay more for the LED tubes?

If you concern about the initial capital investment of the tubes, why don't you change the tubes only when it become faulty? Or only change the existing tubes that you switch on for long time daily to justify the cost.

By doing so, no wastage in term of the fluorescent tubes lying around and minus the RM11.50 per tube investment. Bear in mind the luminance of the LED tube is lower than the fluorescent tube but the power consumed is less than half the conventional tube. (16 W versus 40 W)

jimmylim85
post Oct 4 2017, 11:26 PM

iPhone world....
7,665 posts

QUOTE(b0rhui @ Oct 3 2017, 11:13 PM)
Dear all sifus here  notworthy.gif

the ballast is going to give you a headache when is spoilt, it causes your Electric Circuit Breaker tripped!

best way is just mod your existing T8 Housing simply by removing the starter and ballast connection. wire LIVE and Neutral in opposite direction. there must be no connection in between this both T8 holder point! I do this method everytime cause i'm lazy to replace a new T8 housing which is thinner and less sturdy.

Don't go with Philips EcoFit 16W and new cheap 18W LED around RM 6.90 is so dimmed is pretty useless. I'm currently using latest T8 LED 28Watt which cost around RM 16 - RM 25. The brightness is comparable or even way better than your fluorescent 36W tube. Dont skimp on wattage when they cant illuminate better than your existing fluorescent tube!
jimmylim85
post Oct 4 2017, 11:29 PM

iPhone world....
7,665 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Oct 4 2017, 09:13 AM)

The Philips Ecofit can be fitted without using the ballast. I have actually join the 2 wires connecting the ballast directly. However, the power saving from using the ballast and not using the ballast with the Ecofit LED lamp is negligible, in terms of mW. 

If you concern about the initial capital investment of the tubes, why don't you change the tubes only when it become faulty? Or only change the existing tubes that you switch on for long time daily to justify the cost.

By doing so, no wastage in term of the fluorescent tubes lying around and minus the RM11.50 per tube investment. Bear in mind the luminance of the LED tube is lower than the fluorescent tube but the power consumed is  less than half the conventional tube. (16 W versus 40 W)

The reason everybody is going into LED tube is due to energy efficiency and less maintenance. You don't have to worry around 6 - 12 months problem whether is tube or starter or even worst, the ballast doh.gif

Fluorescent tube problem is slow to turn up the light, blink once or twice before it shines. Where else the LED tube is turns on the spot. LED light has improved day by day. LED light is less prone to electric static interference too.
flowerhorn08
post Oct 5 2017, 12:30 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(jimmylim85 @ Oct 4 2017, 11:26 PM)
the ballast is going to give you a headache when is spoilt, it causes your Electric Circuit Breaker tripped!

best way is just mod your existing T8 Housing simply by removing the starter and ballast connection. wire LIVE and Neutral in opposite direction. there must be no connection in between this both T8 holder point! I do this method everytime cause i'm lazy to replace a new T8 housing which is thinner and less sturdy.

Don't go with Philips EcoFit 16W and new cheap 18W LED around RM 6.90 is so dimmed is pretty useless. I'm currently using latest T8 LED 28Watt which cost around RM 16 - RM 25. The brightness is comparable or even way better than your fluorescent 36W tube. Dont skimp on wattage when they cant illuminate better than your existing fluorescent tube!
What brand is the T8 LED 28 W. Any recommendation where I can buy it at RM16?
jimmylim85
post Oct 5 2017, 02:04 PM

iPhone world....
7,665 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Oct 5 2017, 12:30 PM)
What brand is the T8 LED 28 W. Any recommendation where I can buy it at RM16?
Can't recall the brand but the end plastic cover is gold colour not being white. Brand wasn't an issue, just get 24Watt or 28Watt. RM 16 I got in warehouse bulk
flowerhorn08
post Oct 6 2017, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(jimmylim85 @ Oct 5 2017, 02:04 PM)
Can't recall the brand but the end plastic cover is gold colour not being white. Brand wasn't an issue, just get 24Watt or 28Watt. RM 16 I got in warehouse bulk
Gold end plastic....that's really a rare find.

I guess it will be selling RM20 plus in retail.

jimmylim85
post Oct 6 2017, 03:55 PM

iPhone world....
7,665 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Oct 6 2017, 10:50 AM)
Gold end plastic....that's really a rare find.

I guess it will be selling RM20 plus in retail.
Gold or yellow end plastic to distinguish from standard ones. I even bought 24W for rm 25 each back in Kluang doh.gif but roughly rm 20 ++ for brighter LED is acceptable.

TSmot88
post Oct 6 2017, 11:21 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Philips T8 Led has gone down in price in 2017. There is a higher lumen of 2100 for RM 17.50 that is coming soon. Noted most shop has not reduce the price following Philips recommended price. This includes big hypermarket.

The next question is where to get? There is one Philips authorised reseller in Kuchai Lama (opposite of De Tropicana condo, also nearby NSK), which item can be order if not in stock. Heads up they normally serves more to contractor, so don't expect very good service from them, i.e tell them what you want, pay and leave the store.

Philips Led 2017 catalogue

This post has been edited by mot88: Oct 7 2017, 12:03 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSmot88
post Oct 7 2017, 12:17 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(b0rhui @ Oct 3 2017, 11:13 PM)

All Philips LED using 'B' type of connection (ie "1 sided connection" as per video in page 2 of this thread).

To retrofit existing bracket,
Option (i) simplest, replace the normal starter to the EMP starter supplied by Philips.
Option (ii) more economical, take out the 'L' wire 'to' and 'from' ballast and join the wire together (ie bypassing the ballast)

However, if EMP or LED starter (not to be confused with the normal starter) missing or not supplied for whatever reason, do supply the 'N' to the same side as the 'L'.

Left Side
Pin 1: Live
Pin 2: Neutral
or
Pin 1: Neutral
Pin 2: Live

Right Side
Pin 3: Dummy (no need power supply)
Pin 4: Dummy (no need power supply)

This post has been edited by mot88: Oct 7 2017, 12:20 AM
flowerhorn08
post Oct 8 2017, 07:03 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:21 PM)
Philips T8 Led has gone down in price in 2017. There is a higher lumen of 2100  for RM 17.50 that is coming soon. Noted most shop has not reduce the price following Philips recommended price. This includes big hypermarket.

The next question is where to get? There is one Philips authorised reseller in Kuchai Lama (opposite of De Tropicana condo, also nearby NSK), which item can be order if not in stock. Heads up they normally serves more to contractor, so don't expect very good service from them, i.e tell them what you want, pay and leave the store.

What I see is The Philip Ecofit (LED High Output) is equivalent to Philips fluorescent tube Super Bright (Green End cap also). Difference is Philip Super Bright fluorescent tube consumes same electricity as normal Philips normal tube ( silver color cap) while Ecofit LED High Output consumes slightly more electricity as stand Ecofit series.

That being said, I think it still worth for the price and brightness stated. Just too bad I can't try it out as it is COMING SOON. hmm.gif
PsyvhopathySTAR
post Nov 3 2017, 10:05 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 18 2017, 10:14 PM)
In summary for majority of household, one could just remove the starter to fit in a T8 LED tube without additional modification.

A normal fluorescent tube is around RM 6 to RM 8 and a decent quality LED tube is around RM 15 to RM 25. Do look for 2000 lumens type if you having high ceiling. Typical a normal LED tube is only 1600 lumens. 2000 lumens led tube is on par or exceed the brightness of normal T8 Philips Bright boost tube (green end cap model)

It is worthwhile to replace your normal T8 if the tube is blown or you are using it very often. Other than savings money, LED tube is longer lifespan and instant start, without the annoying blinking moment. Also useful if you frequently switch on and off the light, eg in kitchen or bathroom.
Thank you for the illustration LED is so much better rather than incandescent light or fluorescent light. and as far as I know, LED's lights
last around 20 times longer and consume up to 90% less energy when compared to halogen or incandescent lighting, which helps you save money on your energy bills. While still maintaining similar levels of light quality, and they also come in a wide variety of unique colors, meaning you can achieve a great look to your applications. so this is so much better. Try this site https://www.sompor.com/led-basic/ as it may tell you the basic of LED's
vex
post Dec 4 2017, 06:53 PM

Regular
1,984 posts

Ah... I plug ecofit with eletronic ballast without bypass, fried 1 t8..sob sob.
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 25 2017, 10:34 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:21 PM)
Philips T8 Led has gone down in price in 2017. There is a higher lumen of 2100  for RM 17.50 that is coming soon. Noted most shop has not reduce the price following Philips recommended price. This includes big hypermarket.

Where to get such price? I see supermarkets are still selling the old model for ~RM20.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 27 2017, 08:10 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

any one can share photo for T8 LED 28 W ?

thanks ...
TSmot88
post Dec 28 2017, 09:02 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 25 2017, 10:34 PM)
Where to get such price? I see supermarkets are still selling the old model for ~RM20.
The new 20w Brightboost T8 Led is available on lazada. It is priced RM80 for 5 pc (RM17/pc) which is lower than Philips recommended price of RM 17.50/ pc.
This 20w version output is 2100lm compared to 16w of only 1600lm. It also comes with LED starter or EMP. Avoid the 16w as it is dimmer than standard fluorescent.

Lazada T8 20w Philips T8

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 28 2017, 09:12 PM
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 28 2017, 09:45 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 28 2017, 09:02 PM)
The new 20w Brightboost T8 Led is available on lazada. It is priced RM80 for 5 pc (RM17/pc) which is lower than Philips recommended price of RM 17.50/ pc.
This 20w version output is 2100lm compared to 16w of only 1600lm. It also comes with LED starter or EMP. Avoid the 16w as it is dimmer than standard fluorescent.

Lazada T8 20w Philips T8
Thanks. I found the same seller before but due to its location (not in Klang Valley) I'm hesitant to pull the trigger as shipping something so fragile from another state might be too risky. Too bad the new 20w is yet to be sold by Philips official seller on Lazada. I just bought a bunch of 16w ones but didn't know it's not that bright but will probably place it at areas where it's not necessary to be that bright biggrin.gif
sgpdsmss
post Dec 28 2017, 10:29 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 28 2017, 09:02 PM)

Lazada T8 20w Philips T8
if current already using T8 LED tube ...so this Philip can directly plug and light up ?

thanks ...
TSmot88
post Dec 28 2017, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 28 2017, 10:29 PM)
if current already using T8 LED tube ...so this Philip can directly plug and light up ?

thanks ...
Yes, plug & play if you are currently using Type B T8 led (refer to my 1st post of what is Type B).

Yes, plug and play also if you have maintain the wiring of previous Fluro tube with magnetic ballast.

However, you need to modify the wiring in the bracket if both above scenarios do not apply to you.

Mind sharing what T8 led tube you are using now?

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 28 2017, 09:45 PM)
Thanks. I found the same seller before but due to its location (not in Klang Valley) I'm hesitant to pull the trigger as shipping something so fragile from another state might be too risky. Too bad the new 20w is yet to be sold by Philips official seller on Lazada. I just bought a bunch of 16w ones but didn't know it's not that bright but will probably place it at areas where it's not necessary to be that bright  biggrin.gif
There is an authorised Philips lighting store whom you could contact if you need it in Klang Valley. The shop is at Kuchai Lama. If you need the contact,do PM me. You could order if they don't carry it. For Philips Lighting HQ in PJ, they usually don't keep a lot of stock and hot item such as this, usually will be out of stock

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 29 2017, 12:04 AM
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 01:17 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 28 2017, 11:43 PM)
Yes, plug & play if you are currently using Type B T8 led (refer to my 1st post of what is Type B).

Yes, plug and play also if you have maintain the wiring of previous Fluro tube with magnetic ballast.

However, you need to modify the wiring in the bracket if both above scenarios do not apply to you.

Mind sharing what T8 led tube you are using now?
There is an authorised Philips lighting store whom you could contact if you need it in Klang Valley. The shop is at Kuchai Lama. If you need the contact,do PM me. You could order if they don't carry it. For Philips Lighting HQ in PJ, they usually don't keep a lot of stock and hot item such as this, usually will be out of stock
IM using China no brand T8 LED tube daylight now ..not sure how many lm
the cover was plastic ...as Attached the light ...like not bright enough..

so its worth to buy the Philip 20w T8 tube ?
can be brightness than my current tube ?

thanks

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSmot88
post Dec 29 2017, 08:08 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 01:17 PM)
IM using China no brand T8 LED tube daylight now ..not sure how many lm
the cover was plastic ...as Attached the light ...like not bright enough..

so its worth to buy the Philip 20w T8 tube ?
can be brightness than my current tube ?

thanks
Plastic T8 cover is earlier generation led. Now, most if not all T8 is sold in glass tube. Since you are not sure brand and the wattage led, hard to advice.

China T8 led is usually Type A. If your lamp holder does not has a hole to put in starter or the wiring has been disconnected from the starter hole, you need to open and modify the wiring, i.e not plug & play for Philips T8 led.

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 29 2017, 08:14 PM
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 29 2017, 08:25 PM

6,945 posts

Just plugged in, seems quite bright to me or at least bright enough biggrin.gif
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 08:31 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 29 2017, 08:08 PM)
Plastic T8 cover is earlier generation led. Now, most if not all T8 is sold  in glass tube. Since you are not sure brand and the wattage led, hard to advice.

China T8 led is usually Type A. If your lamp holder does not has a hole to put in starter or the wiring has been disconnected from the starter hole, you need to open and modify the wiring, i.e not plug & play for Philips T8 led.
my LED tube is 18w ...fixed into slim casing ...no have the starter hole...

i think the connection like below ..wiring installed by wire man
1 side to supply Live (L) and the other side Neutral (N) to power the led tube.

so the Philip T8 20w lm2100 worth to buy with that price ?
purpose to add light ..caused current not so bright and light ..

how to modify my current T8 LED tube wiring to install Philip 20w LED tube using the same slim casing ??

thanks ...

This post has been edited by sgpdsmss: Dec 29 2017, 09:22 PM
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 08:31 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 29 2017, 08:25 PM)
Just plugged in, seems quite bright to me or at least bright enough biggrin.gif
can shop the light photo ?

thanks ..
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 29 2017, 08:51 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 08:31 PM)
can shop the light photo ?

thanks ..
Attached Image

quick question. do i need to peel off the sticker at the end of the tube that says where the head should be?

This post has been edited by janson_kaniaz: Dec 29 2017, 08:59 PM
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 09:00 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 29 2017, 08:51 PM)
Attached Image
yeah ..i plan to install like yours at outside house ..2tubes side by side ..

yes ..it look more bright than my current one ...

yours is 16w or 20w?

the lazada one selling 20w ...trusted ? seller not from official Philip..

thanks ....

This post has been edited by sgpdsmss: Dec 29 2017, 09:03 PM
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 29 2017, 09:05 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 09:00 PM)
yeah ..i plan to install like yours at outside house ..2tubes side by side ..

yes ..it look more bright than my current one ...

yours is 16w or 20w?

the lazada one selling 20w ...trusted ? seller not from official Philip..

thanks ....
16w

i bought from official philips merchant on lazada. i saw the one selling 20w but didn’t want to take the risk because the seller is not from klang valley so i’m afraid it will be damaged during the long distance delivery.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 09:13 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 29 2017, 09:05 PM)
16w

i bought from official philips merchant on lazada. i saw the one selling 20w but didn’t want to take the risk because the seller is not from klang valley so i’m afraid it will be damaged during the long distance delivery.
16w so bright...

lazada wrap nicely and safely when courier to you ?
are they using hard cover ?
how many tube you bought in 1time ?

i worried damage too during delivery ...
but think will get a try order from lazada

thanks ...
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 29 2017, 09:21 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 09:13 PM)
16w so bright...

lazada wrap nicely and safely when courier to you ?
are they using hard cover ?
how many tube you bought in 1time ?

i worried damage too during delivery ...
but think will get a try order from lazada

thanks ...
wrapped in a double layer of bubble wrap. outside covered with another layer of black plastic. good enough and did the job. i ordered two times. first order is for 2x 1200mm one.

second order 2x 1200mm and 2x 600mm. both safe and sound haha
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 09:25 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 29 2017, 09:21 PM)
wrapped in a double layer of bubble wrap. outside covered with another layer of black plastic. good enough and did the job. i ordered two times. first order is for 2x 1200mm one.

second order 2x 1200mm and 2x 600mm. both safe and sound haha
great...

so when order 3rd time for 20w?😊

waiting for @mot88 to reply ....after that will proceed order ..

thanks ...
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 29 2017, 09:48 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 09:25 PM)
great...

so when order 3rd time for 20w?😊

waiting for @mot88 to reply ....after that will proceed order ..

thanks ...
not in a hurry to get 20w. will wait until next year when the official philips have stock on lazada.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 09:58 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 29 2017, 09:48 PM)
not in a hurry to get 20w. will wait until next year when the official philips have stock on lazada.
current lazada 20w seller can be trusted ?selling original Philip T8 LED tube ?

actually the wrapping by the seller itself or by lazada ?

thanks ...
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 29 2017, 10:04 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 09:58 PM)
current lazada 20w seller can be trusted ?selling original Philip T8 LED tube ?

actually the wrapping by the seller itself or by lazada ?

thanks ...
duno lor. never bought from the seller before.

for mine, wrapping should be done by philips warehouse.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 29 2017, 10:24 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 29 2017, 10:04 PM)
duno lor. never bought from the seller before.

for mine, wrapping should be done by philips warehouse.
alright...i try order see how ...

but found other web site selling more cheap ...

thanks..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSmot88
post Dec 30 2017, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 29 2017, 10:24 PM)
alright...i try order see how ...

but found other web site selling more cheap ...

thanks..
That's the shop in Kuchai Lama that I was referring to in one of my earlier post. Comparing your China 18w T8 tube, this Philips 20w will be brighter but don't expect a lot, roughly 20 -30% but still better and close to normal fluorescent tube.

I doubt with your current wiring setup, the Philips LED tube will light up as both Live & Neutral need on 1 side of the holder but your current wiring is L&N on each side separately. Alternatively, you could go for a local brand of T8 LED with 22w of 2000 lumens. Price is much less than Philips and quality close to it.

To modify, one side of the holder need to have both wires coming out and connect to 'L' and "N' from your electrical source and the other holder side leave it as dummy (wire not connected) .

If your holder only have 1 wire coming out and another wire no where to be seen, you may need to buy 1 holder with both wiring coming out from lighting / electrical shop which is usually very cheap.

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM
weikee
post Dec 30 2017, 11:23 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

Here is the T5 brightness comparison

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/ligh...s/lat5/pc1a.asp

Reliability, i still give the normal T5, LED just don't last long for the driver.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 30 2017, 11:15 AM)
That's the shop in Kuchai Lama that I was referring to in one of my earlier post. Comparing your China 18w T8 tube, this Philips 20w will be brighter but don't expect a lot, roughly 20 -30% but still better and close to normal fluorescent tube.

I doubt with your current wiring setup, the Philips LED tube will light up as both Live & Neutral need on 1 side of the holder but your current wiring is L&N on each side separately. Alternatively, you could go for a local brand of T8 LED with 22w of 2000 lumens. Price is much less than Philips and quality close to it.
aiya...
already placed order from the lazada link that provided by you ..
haha...
hope wont damage during delivery ....

can teach how to connect the wiring from my current China T8 LED to Philip T8 LED ...appreciate ...

thanks ...

TSmot88
post Dec 30 2017, 11:34 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM)
can teach how to connect the wiring from my current China T8 LED to Philip T8 LED ...appreciate ...
thanks ...
Do refer to my modified post#79.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 30 2017, 12:09 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

To modify, one side of the holder need to have both wires coming out and connect to 'L' and "N' from your electrical source and the other holder side leave it as dummy (wire not connected) .

If your holder only have 1 wire coming out and another wire no where to be seen, you may need to buy 1 holder with both wiring coming out from lighting / electrical shop which is usually very cheap.
Philip T8 LED input LN only at 1side ?another side just a socket holder only ?

i ordered Philip 20w T8 that C/W slim casing ...

China T8 LED will be 1side L and the other 1side N...
am i right ?

thanks ...

TSmot88
post Dec 30 2017, 01:26 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 30 2017, 12:09 PM)
Philip T8 LED input LN only at 1side ?another side just a socket holder only ?

i ordered Philip 20w T8 that C/W slim casing ...
China T8 LED will be 1side L and the other 1side N...
am i right ?

thanks ...
Yes, Philips Led is Type B, LN is at one side. The seller usually will make sure the casing wiring is correct with the Philips T8 Led when both items brought together, so don't worry much.

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 30 2017, 01:33 PM
sgpdsmss
post Dec 30 2017, 02:02 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 30 2017, 01:26 PM)
Yes, Philips Led is Type B, LN is at one side. The seller usually will make sure the casing wiring is correct with the Philips T8 Led when both items brought together, so don't worry much.
caused i need to add on tube ..so think might need to rewiring...

tube change from existing China tube to Philip tube ...need opencasing to check the wiring too...

just wait the Philip tube arrive then see how to fix it
get back to you when problem encounter...

thanks...
Camelia Chui
post Dec 31 2017, 04:05 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM)
aiya...
already placed order from the lazada link that provided by you ..
haha...
hope wont damage during delivery ....

thanks ...
Hi, you just need to add another long wire from left to right will do.
I show you the wiring
Attached Image
sgpdsmss
post Dec 31 2017, 04:23 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(Camelia Chui @ Dec 31 2017, 04:05 PM)
Hi, you just need to add another long wire from left to right will do.
I show you the wiring
Attached Image
the long wire is L or gnd?

thanks ..
SUSadvocado
post Jan 1 2018, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

is T5 better or T8?

also you mention Philip T5 has different connection, majority T5 in the market has wires on 1 side or both side? what about their T8?

do T-5 have short & long length like T8 do?

This post has been edited by advocado: Jan 1 2018, 09:17 AM
sgpdsmss
post Jan 1 2018, 05:09 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 30 2017, 01:26 PM)
Philip tube received ...

removed my existing casing install the casing came with tube ..

attached was my China T8 LED tube ...

thanks ....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSmot88
post Jan 2 2018, 12:16 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 1 2018, 09:16 AM)
is T5 better or T8?

also you mention Philip T5 has different connection, majority T5 in the market has wires on 1 side or both side? what about their T8?

do T-5 have short & long length like T8 do?
T5 is slim version of T8 for Led. T5 comes with bracket 'LN' is at 1 side only as the main pupose of using T5 is to join the light side by side for kitchen cabinet /plaster ceiling cove lighting. Most if not all T5 led comes together with integrated bracket. The tube cannot be detached once its not functioning. Please check the T5 led at shop to understand better and the variety of lenghts available.Yes, T5 led is available in various lenghts.
Btw, this discussion is on T8.

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jan 1 2018, 05:09 PM)
Philip tube received ...

removed my existing casing install the casing came with tube ..

attached was my China T8 LED tube ...

thanks ....
Thanks for sharing. Havent seen this brand of T8 led tube before.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 2 2018, 12:17 PM
SUSadvocado
post Jan 2 2018, 12:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 2 2018, 12:16 PM)
T5 is slim version of T8 for Led. T5 comes with bracket 'LN' is at 1 side only as the main pupose of using T5 is to join the light side by side for kitchen cabinet /plaster ceiling cove lighting. Most if not all T5 led comes together with integrated bracket. The tube cannot be detached once its not functioning. Please check the T5 led at shop to understand better and the variety of lenghts available.Yes, T5 led is available in various lenghts.
oh no wonder so T5 all came with the LED & casing just like downlight? the whole tube just screw onto the surface you are mounting not into any casing like T8? when you say integrated means i can connect 2 T5 without additional wires just plug in? might be good for cabinets.

i was looking into T8 actually, those that when replace just pull out the tubes. are there T8 casing that supports both Fluorescent & LED without mods? is there any quality brands for T8 LED casing? T8 LED don't need Driver like Downlight do right? or Driver is in the casing?
sgpdsmss
post Jan 2 2018, 01:32 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 2 2018, 12:16 PM)
that tube purchased about 2years ago ...price about rm5x ..

after changed to Philip tube ...is more more bright compare old tube ...
the old tube top covered by heatsink..so the light transmit covered too ...
but ..the Philip one 360' light transmit..so more bright...

China glass T8 22w 2000lm price about rm16~rm18 per tube ..

22w VS 20w ...2w different ...Electrical bill will different a lot?

China T8 -> China T8 ..just plug n light up..
China T8 -> Philip T8 .. need re wiring ...

thanks ...
TSmot88
post Jan 3 2018, 03:36 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 2 2018, 12:29 PM)
i was looking into T8 actually, those that when replace just pull out the tubes. are there T8 casing that supports both Fluorescent & LED without mods? is there any quality brands for T8 LED casing? T8 LED don't need Driver like Downlight do right? or Driver is in the casing?
All T8 Led driver is embeeded inside the tube, i.e no external driver needed. Thats the advantage of using T8 led.
TSmot88
post Jan 3 2018, 10:25 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jan 2 2018, 01:32 PM)
that tube purchased about 2years ago ...price about rm5x ..

after changed to Philip tube ...is more more bright compare old tube ...
the old tube top covered by heatsink..so the light transmit covered too ...
but ..the Philip one 360' light transmit..so more bright...

China glass T8 22w 2000lm price about rm16~rm18 per tube ..

22w VS 20w ...2w different ...Electrical bill will different a lot?

China T8 -> China T8 ..just plug n light up..
China T8 -> Philip T8 .. need re wiring ...

thanks ...
2w is minimal. The price of 22w China/local 2000lm is much lower if you get it from main dealer. It does not make sense if it is same price as 20w Philips with but less 100lm.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 3 2018, 10:28 PM
sgpdsmss
post Jan 4 2018, 07:15 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 3 2018, 10:25 PM)
2w is minimal. The price of 22w China/local 2000lm is much lower if you get it from main dealer. It does not make sense if it is same price as 20w Philips with but less 100lm.
actually for me rather go for China T8 ..caused my house wiring ready ..just plug n light ...

the Philip one need rewiring again...
but already install Philip one with casing ...

so other might go for China T8 22w ....

thanks ....
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 07:42 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jan 4 2018, 07:15 AM)
actually for me rather go for China T8 ..caused my house wiring ready ..just plug n light ...

the Philip one need rewiring again...
but already install Philip one with casing ...

so other might go for China T8 22w ....

thanks ....
Please keep in mind when selecting LED Tube on these criteria
1. Power Factor
PHILIPS EcoFit has low PF compared to their other range such as InstaFit. I can’t recall as I have left PHILIPS in 2016.
2. CRI (Color Rendering Index)
This will give you a better rendering of color if it’s 70 and above
3. THD (Total harmonic Distortion)
For home usage, I will skip this part

Good to know that there are so much choices in the market. In fact, PHILIPS LEDtube are ODM by Aztech and other manufacturers. Even GE is OEM by FSL if I’m not mistaken.

frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 07:49 AM

Casual
447 posts

Cons: magnetic ballast consume 6-8 watt in additional to led tube wattage. I am not sure if the life of the tube is shorter using this method but the function of ballast is only limiting the current flow. LED need less current than normal tube

Correction - ballast will not run at 6-8watt but instead contribute 1w as the current draw from the LEDTube is lower. Hence the resistance on the ballast is lower.

Secondly as the ballast act as step down transformer, there is no impact on the LEDTube lifetime. Unless the ballast is pretty worn out and need to be replaced. After all nowadays magnetic ballast (even tho low loss) the material used are inferior compared to last time.

With the ballast, it also act as a layer of defence against surge.
sgpdsmss
post Jan 4 2018, 07:55 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 07:42 AM)
Please keep in mind when selecting LED Tube on these criteria
1. Power Factor
PHILIPS EcoFit has low PF compared to their other range such as InstaFit. I can’t recall as I have left PHILIPS in 2016.
2. CRI (Color Rendering Index)
This will give you a better rendering of color if it’s 70 and above
3. THD (Total harmonic Distortion)
For home usage, I will skip this part

Good to know that there are so much choices in the market. In fact, PHILIPS LEDtube are ODM by Aztech and other manufacturers. Even GE is OEM by FSL if I’m not mistaken.
ive 0 knowledge on the items listed 1,2 and 3...

for me ...the light emit cover large area ...and bright consider good ..

haha...

thanks for the info ...
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 09:08 AM

Casual
447 posts

No problem. Glad to share.
SUSadvocado
post Jan 4 2018, 09:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 09:08 AM)
No problem. Glad to share.
for the T8 casing, do you utilize all 3 wires including Earth? since LED normally only have Live & neutral. do you connect the earth to some screws on the metal casing?
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 10:45 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 4 2018, 09:38 AM)
for the T8 casing, do you utilize all 3 wires including Earth? since LED normally only have Live & neutral. do you connect the earth to some screws on the metal casing?
Yes. Earthing to the casing as standard practise.
This is to obtain class 1
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 10:45 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 4 2018, 09:38 AM)
SUSadvocado
post Jan 4 2018, 10:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 10:45 AM)
can i use a wire connector and insert it between the bracket & screw (into plug), or will i risk damaging the connector if i screwed the screw in too tight to the ceiling?
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 11:02 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 4 2018, 10:57 AM)
can i use a wire connector and insert it between the bracket & screw (into plug), or will i risk damaging the connector if i screwed the screw in too tight to the ceiling?
Sorry. I think I lost you here.
The purpose to connect the Earth wire to the chassis is to act as protection if there’s leakage from AC (Live/Neutral) which will trip the circuit breaker
SUSadvocado
post Jan 4 2018, 12:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 11:02 AM)
Sorry. I think I lost you here.
The purpose to connect the Earth wire to the chassis is to act as protection if there’s leakage from AC (Live/Neutral) which will trip the circuit breaker
the support bracket is normally metal, once you install the bracket then you can screw the light casing onto the bracket. so if i use those wire connector (donut) and slip it between the screw & casing it will work right? because that is the only place which have screw to secure the ground.
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 12:54 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 4 2018, 12:32 PM)
the support bracket is normally metal, once you install the bracket then you can screw the light casing onto the bracket. so if i use those wire connector (donut) and slip it between the screw & casing it will work right? because that is the only place which have screw to secure the ground.
Yeah. As long as the wire is connected to the chassis
SUSadvocado
post Jan 4 2018, 01:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 12:54 PM)
Yeah. As long as the wire is connected to the chassis
hi, might be out of topic, but to mount a T8 on a plaster ceiling, is it too heavy to mount directly on the plaster, or require some sort of support bracket.

i know how to install proper support bracket from ceiling to near the plaster using 2 sets of L shape bracket with plugs, however i don't know how to do the bottom part. most i see just use wooden blocks, so the light bracket will screw into the wooden block? wouldn't the wood block crack & chip resulting loss of grip?

because if you try to secure the lights bracket to the L shape frame, would require a bolt & nut, to tighten the nut would require access above the plaster ceiling which means impossible to reach.

sorry because the lack of info on this on google.
TSmot88
post Jan 4 2018, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 07:49 AM)
Cons: magnetic ballast consume 6-8 watt in additional to led tube wattage. I am not sure if the life of the tube is shorter using this method but the function of ballast is only limiting the current flow. LED need less current than normal tube

Correction - ballast will not run at 6-8watt but instead contribute 1w as the current draw from the LEDTube is lower. Hence the resistance on the ballast is lower.

Secondly as the ballast act as step down transformer, there is no impact on the LEDTube lifetime. Unless the ballast is pretty worn out and need to be replaced. After all nowadays magnetic ballast (even tho low loss) the material used are inferior compared to last time.

With the ballast, it also act as a layer of defence against surge.
6W loss for 18W current draw for a typical magnetic ballast.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 11:49 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 4 2018, 10:41 PM)
6W loss for 18W current draw for a typical magnetic ballast.
Yes, for 36W Fluorescent tube.
If LED, it's lower... try use the power logger
frostier
post Jan 5 2018, 12:40 AM

Casual
447 posts

Sorry, i gone through my file. I didn't save the power logging file with retrofit ballast.
However, I can assure you the loss is minimal about 1w
janson_kaniaz
post Jan 6 2018, 09:06 AM

6,945 posts

Good deal

http://www.lazada.com.my/10-pcs-philips-ec...t-26709759.html
frostier
post Jan 6 2018, 09:13 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Jan 6 2018, 09:06 AM)
Decent.
janson_kaniaz
post Jan 7 2018, 07:27 PM

6,945 posts

Maybe not related to tube but may I know how to differentiate the diameter of the bottom of bulb?

For example based on the photo, the bulb bottom looks quite big and I need the smaller one.

https://www.lazada.com.my/3-pcs-original-ph...1.93223b94DUJuQ
halcyon27
post Jan 7 2018, 07:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Jan 7 2018, 07:27 PM)
Maybe not related to tube but may I know how to differentiate the diameter of the bottom of bulb?

For example based on the photo, the bulb bottom looks quite big and I need the smaller one.

https://www.lazada.com.my/3-pcs-original-ph...1.93223b94DUJuQ
Read up on lighting fitting types here. That bulb employs an Edison screw type base called E27. What you're probably referring to could likely be E14. These two are common here.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Jan 7 2018, 07:38 PM
janson_kaniaz
post Jan 7 2018, 08:39 PM

6,945 posts

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Jan 7 2018, 07:36 PM)
Read up on lighting fitting types here. That bulb employs an Edison screw type base called E27. What you're probably referring to could likely be E14. These two are common here.
thanks!
sgpdsmss
post Mar 17 2018, 01:09 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

previously installed with China T8 18w LED tube ...every time turn on the light ...FM radio straight having shi...shi ...shi...shi..distortion sound....
turn the light off ...the distortion gone.....

try changed the China T8 to Philip ecofit 20w LED tube..
the FM radio distortion gone....even turn on light light..

wonder what different ...China T8 VS Philip T8

thanks ....
danielSinclair
post Mar 17 2018, 01:13 PM

Casual
344 posts

hi sifus... any recommended shops near bandar baru Bangi?😊 thanks
kmarc
post Mar 17 2018, 01:15 PM

The future is here - Cryptocurrencies!
Group Icon
Elite
14,448 posts

I just replaced my computer room T8 normal lights with the LED ones a few days ago. It was 2 sets of lights with 2 tubes each. After the electrician finished modifying and installing the lights, it was so damn bright!! I had no choice but to remove one tube from each light and my rooms is still as bright as ever! thumbup.gif

Oh well, I will just keep the 2 new LED T8 for future use.
frostier
post Mar 17 2018, 05:45 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 17 2018, 01:09 PM)
previously installed with China T8 18w LED tube ...every time turn on the light ...FM radio straight having shi...shi ...shi...shi..distortion sound....
turn the light off ...the distortion gone.....

try changed the China T8 to Philip ecofit 20w LED tube..
the FM radio distortion gone....even turn on light light..

wonder what different ...China T8 VS Philip T8

thanks ....
That’s the difference with the EM insulation
sgpdsmss
post Mar 17 2018, 06:44 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(kmarc @ Mar 17 2018, 01:15 PM)
I just replaced my computer room T8 normal lights with the LED ones a few days ago. It was 2 sets of lights with 2 tubes each. After the electrician finished modifying and installing the lights, it was so damn bright!! I had no choice but to remove one tube from each light and my rooms is still as bright as ever!  thumbup.gif

Oh well, I will just keep the 2 new LED T8 for future use.
how many w for your t8 tube ?
Philips or China T8?

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 17 2018, 05:45 PM)
That’s the difference with the EM insulation
any way to improve em insulation for LED panel driver ?

Philip T8 solve the noise ...but room LED panel light turn on the noise come back again ...

thanks ....
frostier
post Mar 17 2018, 07:27 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 17 2018, 06:44 PM)
Philips or China T8?

Philip T8 solve the noise ...but room LED panel light turn on the noise come back again ...

thanks ....
Replace with diff driver? Coz the driver usually the culprit.
You need to invest in a good driver with low EM, high PF
sgpdsmss
post Mar 17 2018, 08:37 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 17 2018, 07:27 PM)
Replace with diff driver? Coz the driver usually the culprit.
You need to invest in a good driver with low EM, high PF
how to know good driver ? anyway to check b4 purchase?
usually cost rm15 below for 18w ...

thanks ..
kmarc
post Mar 17 2018, 11:09 PM

Group Icon
Elite
14,448 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 17 2018, 06:44 PM)
Philips or China T8?

thanks ....
H-glory brand, 20w. Don't know what brand is that. Cost me RM 18 each.
frostier
post Mar 17 2018, 11:12 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 17 2018, 08:37 PM)
how to know good driver ? anyway to check b4 purchase?
usually cost rm15 below for 18w ...

thanks ..
Usually it’s the product specs on wattage, power factor , liken output, lifetime and CRI.
EM rating usually not shared unless you requested for test report
danielSinclair
post Mar 17 2018, 11:21 PM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 17 2018, 11:12 PM)
Usually it’s the product specs on wattage, power factor , liken output, lifetime and CRI.
hi just wanted to ask..

what's the difference between this two?
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/10pcs-ph...s143539336.html

and this

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/10-pcs-p...s109242009.html

in terms of energy saving, quality of light and compatible with current casing?
sgpdsmss
post Mar 18 2018, 06:03 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(kmarc @ Mar 17 2018, 11:09 PM)
H-glory brand, 20w. Don't know what brand is that. Cost me RM 18 each.
glass type or plastic casing ?

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 17 2018, 11:12 PM)
Pls refer attached driver photo ...anyway to know less distortion driver ?

QUOTE(danielSinclair @ Mar 17 2018, 11:21 PM)
hi just wanted to ask..

and this

one come with by pass starter...meaning to say just remove your current starter and insert Philips starter ..the Philip led light will turn on without remove the ballast....

another one without the starter...need rewiring the wire according Philips LED tube wiring ...

thanks ...

This post has been edited by sgpdsmss: Mar 18 2018, 06:04 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
kmarc
post Mar 18 2018, 07:30 AM

Group Icon
Elite
14,448 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 18 2018, 06:03 AM)

one come with by pass starter...meaning to say just remove your current starter and insert Philips starter ..the Philip led light will turn on without remove the ballast....

another one without the starter...need rewiring the wire according Philips LED tube wiring ...

thanks ...
Plastic type.

Yeah, mine without bypass starter. They had to remove the ballast and rewire the whole thing.
sgpdsmss
post Mar 18 2018, 08:38 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(kmarc @ Mar 18 2018, 07:30 AM)
Plastic type.

Yeah, mine without bypass starter. They had to remove the ballast and rewire the whole thing.
bypass starter just work with Philips LED tube...not work with China LED tube ..
frostier
post Mar 18 2018, 08:43 AM

Casual
447 posts

hi just wanted to ask..

and this

Image shown can be misleading.

However,

It said come with bypass starter. so u just need to just direct replace existing fitting
frostier
post Mar 18 2018, 08:46 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 18 2018, 06:03 AM)
Pls refer attached driver photo ...anyway to know less distortion driver ?

thanks ...
Hard to see from the image alone.
If got brochure,maybe easier.

sgpdsmss
post Mar 18 2018, 09:00 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 18 2018, 08:46 AM)
Hard to see from the image alone.
If got brochure,maybe easier.
those China LED driver only seldom have brochure....

jutamind
post Mar 18 2018, 10:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,204 posts

What if the ballast failed after using Phillips led tube for a while? Need to replace with traditional ballast again?

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 18 2018, 08:43 AM)
Image  shown can be misleading.

However,

It said come with bypass starter. so u just need to just direct replace existing fitting
frostier
post Mar 18 2018, 10:22 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(jutamind @ Mar 18 2018, 10:17 AM)
What if the ballast failed after using Phillips led tube for a while? Need to replace with traditional ballast again?
Just bypass the ballast. Meaning do rewiring
jutamind
post Mar 18 2018, 10:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,204 posts

Then might as well do wiring straight away and make do without bypass starter

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 18 2018, 10:22 AM)
Just bypass the ballast. Meaning do rewiring
frostier
post Mar 18 2018, 10:32 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(jutamind @ Mar 18 2018, 10:28 AM)
Then might as well do wiring straight away and make do without bypass starter
Can also. Up to u. By bypassing the ballast u get additional saving. Roughly 1w.

sgpdsmss
post Mar 18 2018, 11:49 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

ballast very durable...its never failed using more than 20years ...
replace the T8 tube more often than the ballast...

thanks ...
jutamind
post Mar 18 2018, 12:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,204 posts

Durable yes but probably not until 20 years for my case. If not faulty, it might be noisy

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 18 2018, 11:49 AM)
ballast very durable...its never failed using more than 20years ...
replace the T8 tube more often than the ballast...

thanks ...
frostier
post Mar 18 2018, 01:34 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(jutamind @ Mar 18 2018, 12:13 PM)
Durable yes but probably not until 20 years for my case. If not faulty, it might be noisy
Try first. Magnetic ballast won’t spoilt easily. They just step down the voltage.
sgpdsmss
post Mar 18 2018, 02:22 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(jutamind @ Mar 18 2018, 12:13 PM)
noisy? sound like zizzi...zzi...zi...zi......?
jutamind
post Mar 18 2018, 02:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,204 posts

yes. Also the heat generated

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 18 2018, 02:22 PM)
noisy? sound like zizzi...zzi...zi...zi......?
TSmot88
post Mar 18 2018, 03:28 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

hi just wanted to ask..

and this

Both are the same. All Ecofit series comes with EMP starter for retrofitting. If you read the Q&A in lazada, the 2nd link given does comes with EMP starter.
Do note that the 16w Philips LED is not worth simply its dim.
Get the 20w version, and you wont regret.

This post has been edited by mot88: Mar 18 2018, 03:29 PM
SUSslimey
post Mar 18 2018, 04:10 PM

6,914 posts

pull out wires from the ballast.
direct connect the 2 wires together with a connector.
done.

just do it while you are fitting the new led light. no point still using the ballast. ballast also creates heat and uses electricity too.
danielSinclair
post Mar 18 2018, 07:21 PM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Mar 18 2018, 08:43 AM)
Image  shown can be misleading.

However,

thank you. so I just need this to replace my lamp and remove current starter 😁
danielSinclair
post Mar 18 2018, 07:44 PM

Casual
344 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Mar 18 2018, 03:28 PM)
Both are the same. All Ecofit series comes with EMP starter for retrofitting. If you read the Q&A in lazada, the 2nd  link given does comes with EMP starter.
Do note that the 16w Philips LED is not worth simply its dim.
Get the 20w version, and you wont regret.
thank you. I can't find 20w in Lazada and I also can't find any electrical supply shop in Bangi or Kajang or Dengkil who sold this 😅😅😅
frostier
post Mar 18 2018, 09:19 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(danielSinclair @ Mar 18 2018, 07:44 PM)
thank you. I can't find 20w in Lazada and I also can't find any electrical supply shop in Bangi or Kajang or Dengkil who sold this 😅😅😅
Try contact KVC Industrial supplies in Bangi
sgpdsmss
post Mar 18 2018, 09:53 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(danielSinclair @ Mar 18 2018, 07:44 PM)
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/philips-...s287881501.html
iamoracle
post Mar 21 2018, 08:29 AM

On my way
596 posts

Any advantages of Philips LED Linea Batten Slimline over Ecofit LEDtube?
Linea Batten
frostier
post Mar 21 2018, 09:44 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(iamoracle @ Mar 21 2018, 08:29 AM)
Any advantages of Philips LED Linea Batten Slimline over Ecofit LEDtube?
Linea Batten
Linea is an integrated batten. The beauty is it’s slim and nice looking fitting.

The drawback is getting back same replacement in near future
ykho21
post Mar 21 2018, 08:58 PM

44 posts

If you guys looking for Osram Substitube Advanced 21W T8 tube, let me know. Available in 6500k and 4000k. Come with replacement choke.

Attached thumbnail(s)
sgpdsmss
post Mar 22 2018, 06:01 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ykho21 @ Mar 21 2018, 08:58 PM)
If you guys looking for Osram Substitube Advanced 21W T8 tube, let me know. Available in 6500k and 4000k. Come with replacement choke.
how much ?
how is the EM insulation?

thanks ..
ykho21
post Mar 22 2018, 10:13 PM

44 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 22 2018, 06:01 AM)
how much ?
how is the EM insulation?

thanks ..
This tube doesnt affect radio signal like some cheap tube. For 4ft is RM48. 2 ft is RM38. Min 5 pcs/ order
sgpdsmss
post Mar 23 2018, 10:10 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ykho21 @ Mar 22 2018, 10:13 PM)
This tube doesnt affect radio signal like some cheap tube. For 4ft is RM48. 2 ft is RM38. Min 5 pcs/ order
OK ....over price ...better stick to Philips ...

thanks ...
frostier
post Mar 23 2018, 10:49 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Mar 23 2018, 10:10 AM)
OK ....over price ...better stick to Philips ...

thanks ...
100lm/w - it’s like 2016 specs

Anyhow it’s around that price too
tsy_aries30
post Jun 21 2018, 11:33 PM

13 posts

You can also compare the prices on Iprice They are a price comparison website.
failed.hashcheck
post Jul 1 2018, 01:25 AM

Neighborhood plant pathologist
2,006 posts

Anyone know where can I get Philips Master T8 LED (Cool White 840)? One that sells in 2-4 pack, not 10.

Ecofit with 73 CRI feels kinda depressing lol

Also anyone have installed 4ft Philips Linea T5 to replace regular 4ft T8? (https://www.philips.com.my/c-p/310943166/linea-wall-light)
How is it going? is the brightness reduction gets too noticeable?

I plan to replace a 4ft T8 with 2 units of Philips T5 LED to get more even illumination, but I afraid the brightness would be problem.

Existing 3000lm brightboost bulb illuminated the room juuuust right.
Even I install 2 T5 LED to come with 2000lm, I afraid 1000lm short will be too noticeable.

This post has been edited by failed.hashcheck: Jul 1 2018, 01:56 AM
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 01:09 AM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

Hi. Need help of you guys.

Where can I find Philips Ecofit T8 Warm White type as it is not available in some of the shops. I'm from Penang.

Planning to buy one to fix in my kitchen.

Thanks.
frostier
post Jul 10 2018, 01:15 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 01:09 AM)

Where can I find Philips Ecofit T8 Warm White type as it is not available in some of the shops. I'm from Penang.

Thanks.
Penang distributor for Philips Signify - Yen Ho
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 01:22 AM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jul 10 2018, 01:15 AM)
Thanks for the fast response. Will look into it.
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 01:26 AM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jul 10 2018, 01:15 AM)
Hi. Do you know any other shop in Bayan Lepas area?

BM is too far away.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by FusionXY: Jul 10 2018, 01:28 AM
frostier
post Jul 10 2018, 02:14 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 01:26 AM)
Hi. Do you know any other shop in Bayan Lepas area?

BM is too far away.

Thanks.
Call Yen Ho and ask their dealer in Bayan Lepas area smile.gif

FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 07:51 AM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Jul 10 2018, 02:14 AM)
Call Yen Ho and ask their dealer in Bayan Lepas area smile.gif
Noted with thanks.
Will do it.
sgpdsmss
post Jul 10 2018, 08:08 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

Thanks.
fix in kitchen ceiling or under kitchen cabinet ?

thanks ...
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 12:34 PM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 08:08 AM)
fix in kitchen ceiling or under kitchen cabinet ?
thanks ...
Fix T8 LED Tube Warm White on kitchen ceiling.

Planning to save electricity and make less maintenance.

All the rooms and hall use Philips Ecofit T8 Cool Daylight.

Toilet use Ledus T8 Tube Cool Daylight.

Thanks.
sgpdsmss
post Jul 10 2018, 03:22 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 12:34 PM)
Fix T8 LED Tube Warm White on kitchen ceiling.

Planning to save electricity and make less maintenance.

All the rooms and hall use Philips Ecofit T8 Cool Daylight.

Toilet use Ledus T8 Tube Cool Daylight.

Thanks.
any different between Philip VS ledus T8 tube in lm? both 20w?
some brand of T8 tube ..colour may look different even same w..

what's the current light type at your kitchen ceiling ?

thanks ..
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 04:28 PM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 03:22 PM)

thanks ..
Both same lumens. Ledus more brighter. As Ledus got 2ft available on my area so put both them in the toilet.

For Philips Ecofit is the 16w type.
For Ledus is the 10w type

Philips - 4ft
Ledus - 2ft

My current light type is the normal fixture with ballast and starter.
Take out existing starter and tube.
Replaced with the new starter and tube.

To fix into existing fixture, the tube light AC input must be position on the left side. Opposite side won't work as the tube light will blink. Trying to find warm white T8 as not all the shops carry this type with starter. Will get the 20w because 16w no warm white.

Thanks
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 06:08 PM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

Hi, any shops in Bayan Lepas, Penang that sells LED Starter Fuse itself as when I open my box.
The LED Starter missing from the box itself and planning to install. The tube light unable to work without LED Starter.
No point for me to buy the whole thing the product cost RM 25++

Thanks.
failed.hashcheck
post Jul 10 2018, 06:58 PM

2,006 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 03:22 PM)

thanks ..

Thanks.
If you are in serious retrofit campaign with extra budget, and want to do it right; I would advise against installing Philips Ecofit.
You will might end up with disappointingly dim room compared to previous fluorescent tube.
Go for Philips MASTER instead. Its lot more efficient and produce better light quality.

For comparison on (nominal) rated output:

Philips Super80 (traditional, green cap premium fluorescent tube)
36w, 3200lm, 82 CRI

Philips Ecofit
16w, 1600lm, 73 CRI

Philips MAS LED HO(High output variant)
14w, 2100lm, 83 CRI

Side by side comparison T8 840. MAS LED HO (left) Philips Super80, HF Ballast (Right). Dont have Ecofit tube at this moment but it perform worse than both on last comparison I made.

Attached Image

MAS LED rated only 2100lm, but its apparent brightness is still higher than 3200lm traditional fluorescent, due to directional beam nature of LED light, which increase its delivered (effective) lumens.
I can't say for other brand, but I believe they wold perform same or worse than Ecofit for given nominal wattage.

The catch is it is much more expensive, cheapest I get was RM42/unit (vs RM10/unit for Ecofit), and since this tube is not targeted for consumer, its rarely sold in retail shops nor in non-bulk units.

This post has been edited by failed.hashcheck: Jul 23 2018, 08:50 PM
sgpdsmss
post Jul 10 2018, 08:29 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 04:28 PM)
Both same lumens. Ledus more brighter. As Ledus got 2ft available on my area so put both them in the toilet.

For Philips Ecofit is the 16w type.
For Ledus is the 10w type

Philips - 4ft
Ledus - 2ft

My current light type is the normal fixture with ballast and starter.
Take out existing starter and tube.
Replaced with the new starter and tube.

To fix into existing fixture, the tube light AC input must be position on the left side. Opposite side won't work as the tube light will blink. Trying to find warm white T8 as not all the shops carry this type with starter. Will get the 20w because 16w no warm white.

Thanks
16w VS 10w both same lumens?

QUOTE(failed.hashcheck @ Jul 10 2018, 06:58 PM)
If you are in serious retrofit campaign with extra budget, and want do it right; I would advise against installing Philips Ecofit. You will might end up with disappointingly dim room compared to previous fluorescent tube.
Go for Philips MASTER instead. Its lot more efficient and produce better light quality.

36w, 3200lm, 82 CRI

Philips Ecofit
16w, 1600lm, 73 CRI

14w, 2100lm, 83 CRI
Side by side comparison T8 840. MAS LED HO (left) Philips Super80, HF Ballast (Right). Dont have Ecofit tube at this moment but it perform worse than both on last comparison I made.

user posted image

MAS LED rated only 2100lm, but the apparent brightness is still higher than 3200lm traditional fluorescent, due to directional beam nature of LED light, which increase its delivered (effective) lumens.
I can't say for other brand, but I believe they wold perform same or worse than Ecofit for the same nominal wattage.

The catch is it is much more expensive, cheapest I get was RM42/unit (vs RM10/unit for Ecofit), and since this tube is not targeted for consumer, its rarely sold in retail shops nor in non-bulk units.
Philip mas 14w can produce 2100lm?

i installed ecofit 20w 2100lm....worth to change from ecofit to mas?

thanks ...
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 08:37 PM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 08:29 PM)
16w VS 10w both same lumens?

Different lumens. If same length will be the same.
What I mean is that LEDUS is brighter. Using Light bulb also very bright.
You are using 20W type? How much you bought per set?
Mine is RM 15 per set.
Thanks.

thanks ...
sgpdsmss
post Jul 10 2018, 08:41 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 08:37 PM)

yes ...as attached ..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
frostier
post Jul 10 2018, 08:43 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(failed.hashcheck @ Jul 10 2018, 06:58 PM)
If you are in serious retrofit campaign with extra budget, and want do it right; I would advise against installing Philips Ecofit. You will might end up with disappointingly dim room compared to previous fluorescent tube.

36w, 3200lm, 82 CRI

Philips Ecofit
16w, 1600lm, 73 CRI

14w, 2100lm, 83 CRI

user posted image

MAS LED rated only 2100lm, but the apparent brightness is still higher than 3200lm traditional fluorescent, due to directional beam nature of LED light, which increase its delivered (effective) lumens.
I can't say for other brand, but I believe they wold perform same or worse than Ecofit for the same nominal wattage.

You are right. Go for Master range
Typical B50L70 is 30k hours for Master. Unless they change that since I left
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 08:48 PM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 08:41 PM)
yes ...as attached ..
Hi, bright enough to cover the whole room?
Mine is 16W. Still acceptable.

Heard of one china brand LED T8 which is FSL.
Which my condo is using for parking lot and around the building.
This tube doesn't need starter. I wanna buy got starter wan so I can know whether can work or not.
Wanna buy the warm white but only have the 20W only and I'm not confident to order online.

If you are planning to install other LED Tube that uses starter.
The Philips EMP Starter can be use for other type of T8.
Tried the Philips EMP Starter to LEDUS T8 and vice versa still works.

Now gonna find one shop to get the LED Starter Fuse as my LEDUS T8 Starter missing out from the box.

Thanks.

sgpdsmss
post Jul 10 2018, 09:12 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 08:48 PM)
Hi, bright enough to cover the whole room?
Mine is 16W. Still acceptable.

Heard of one china brand LED T8 which is FSL.
Which my condo is using for parking lot and around the building.
This tube doesn't need starter. I wanna buy got starter wan so I can know whether can work or not.
Wanna buy the warm white but only have the 20W only and I'm not confident to order online.

If you are planning to install other LED Tube that uses starter.

Now gonna find one shop to get the LED Starter Fuse as my LEDUS T8 Starter missing out from the box.

Thanks.
yes enough....

starter needed if you using fluorescent lamp casing ?
can by pass the starter if you know to rewiring ...
FusionXY
post Jul 10 2018, 09:21 PM

LAZZIE ON VACATION
3,699 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 09:12 PM)
yes enough....

starter needed if you using fluorescent lamp casing ?
can by pass the starter if you know to rewiring ...
Using fluorescent lamp casing with starter.

Don't wanna do wiring. Too dangerous.
I don't perform all these kind of things.
Will buy the T8 LED Tube Starter Fuse if I can find.

Thanks.
failed.hashcheck
post Jul 10 2018, 10:18 PM

2,006 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 10 2018, 08:29 PM)
For current generation of HO(high output) variant, yes.
http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/prof/...9002_EU/product

Don't think so. You only save 6w in this case. Unless you could really benefit from 83 CRI upgrade, its more economical to just stick with your existing tube.

QUOTE(frostier @ Jul 10 2018, 08:43 PM)
You are right. Go for Master range
Typical B50L70 is 30k hours for Master. Unless they change that since I left
Latest batch I install now is rated for 50k hours biggrin.gif .

QUOTE(FusionXY @ Jul 10 2018, 08:48 PM)
Of course it is. "EMP starter" is just extra fabulous name for dummy starter. The inside is just simple wire loop.

This post has been edited by failed.hashcheck: Jul 10 2018, 10:20 PM
frostier
post Jul 11 2018, 08:13 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(failed.hashcheck @ Jul 10 2018, 10:18 PM)
For current generation of HO(high output) variant, yes.
http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/prof/...9002_EU/product
Don't think so. You only save 6w in this case. Unless you could really benefit from 83 CRI upgrade, its more economical to just stick with your existing tube.
Latest batch I install now is rated for 50k hours  biggrin.gif .
Of course it is. "EMP starter" is just extra fabulous name for dummy starter. The inside is just simple wire loop.
I stand corrected. You are right. Master to begin with was 40k and 50k. Only Essential TLED was rated at 30k.
Moktaktin
post Jul 17 2018, 08:10 PM

26 posts

Some LED tube (1 side) come with LED starter. any idea how it wire?

This post has been edited by Moktaktin: Jul 17 2018, 08:20 PM
SUSslimey
post Jul 17 2018, 08:27 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(Moktaktin @ Jul 17 2018, 08:10 PM)
Some LED tube (1 side) come with LED starter. any idea how it wire?
look at the wiring diagram on the box or tube.

compare it with the wiring in your light fitting. do modification if necessary.
humanbeing99
post Jul 17 2018, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
283 posts

Parking. Going to need the info here
moto-moto
post Nov 11 2018, 05:31 PM

On my way
681 posts

is the ecofit high output (HO) available in any supermarket?
frostier
post Nov 12 2018, 11:57 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(moto-moto @ Nov 11 2018, 05:31 PM)
is the ecofit high output (HO) available in any supermarket?
I doubt so. Why not you contact. Philips distributor Sin Lian wah?
moto-moto
post Nov 12 2018, 10:22 PM

On my way
681 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Nov 12 2018, 11:57 AM)
I doubt so. Why not you contact. Philips distributor Sin Lian wah?
i want to test out one tube first, i doubt distributor will sell 1 tube right?
frostier
post Nov 12 2018, 11:17 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(moto-moto @ Nov 12 2018, 10:22 PM)
i want to test out one tube first, i doubt distributor will sell 1 tube right?
ask for the dealer that carry it
flowerhorn08
post Dec 10 2018, 04:21 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

I just called JLL Electrical. They are selling Philips Ecofit 20 W for RM14. Gonna get a few pieces to fix to my rooms.
ozak
post Dec 10 2018, 10:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Dec 10 2018, 04:21 PM)
I just called JLL Electrical. They are selling Philips Ecofit 20 W for RM14. Gonna get a few pieces to fix to my rooms.
Puchong TK light selling for RM14.5.
frostier
post Dec 11 2018, 12:53 AM

Casual
447 posts

Send my regards to Dato Joe
syk
post Dec 11 2018, 12:34 PM

Casual
313 posts

CIMA lighting selling at rm13.50
I think they are dealer for Philips.
frostier
post Dec 11 2018, 06:22 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(syk @ Dec 11 2018, 12:34 PM)
CIMA lighting selling at rm13.50
I think they are dealer for Philips.
Yes, they are.
NoobHacker
post May 21 2019, 07:25 AM

Regular
1,728 posts

Just changed some of the fluorescent to LED, running cold and bright. No more flickering.

One of the plastic fitting broke so I went to get a new one, apparently when I ask for LED fitting, they sell those without starter slot, which is not compatible with Philips LED.

This is what 'led fitting' looks like:
L---------N

This is what philips led fitting looks like
L---------
N--------

Any good brands recommendation for those with 'LED fitting'? All I see in this post are philips 20w super bright.

I personally don't like the Philips wiring, when I want to go LED, I will get rid of ballast and starter, and fittings all together due to old plastics may break easily.

I also like the simpler design... LED with dummy starter, I don't like the idea. Can any electrician comment on this? Are there any benefits doing one side powering other than compatibility reasons?

I will never want to go back to traditional ones anymore.. no more flickering on start, flicking in use, also much colder and saves power. Fun thing I know is that the one I replaced comes with Philips starter from Holland which is very durable.
jutamind
post May 21 2019, 07:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,204 posts

Any good non Philips brand LED T8 tube to recommend?
NoobHacker
post May 21 2019, 01:18 PM

Regular
1,728 posts

Just went Puchong TK light. What they recommend is:

1. if you don't need fancy well known brands, use two side wiring
2. if only use well known brands like philips, use one side wiring.

Bought one 20W philips for testing, cant see the difference with naked eyes. I didnt bypass the ballast so sometimes the led will flick quickly then turns on.

QUOTE(jutamind @ May 21 2019, 07:35 AM)
Any good non Philips brand LED T8 tube to recommend?
Other than philips, every shop sells different brand for two side wiring tubes hmm.gif Can try FSL since ikea sells them, should be relatively reliable.
Japanese quality are no longer reliable like last time, since their production line is everywhere now, instead of japan only
china brands are getting better since they really care about their brand name now, and they mostly manufactured in their own country & factory.

This post has been edited by NoobHacker: May 21 2019, 01:22 PM
frostier
post May 21 2019, 08:58 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(NoobHacker @ May 21 2019, 01:18 PM)
Just went Puchong TK light. What they recommend is:

1. if you don't need fancy well known brands, use two side wiring
2. if only use well known brands like philips, use one side wiring.

Bought one 20W philips for testing, cant see the difference with naked eyes. I didnt bypass the ballast so sometimes the led will flick quickly then turns on.
Other than philips, every shop sells different brand for two side wiring tubes  hmm.gif Can try FSL since ikea sells them, should be relatively reliable.
Japanese quality are no longer reliable like last time, since their production line is everywhere now, instead of japan only
china brands are getting better since they really care about their brand name now, and they mostly manufactured in their own country & factory.
Please consider Ledvance as well
TSmot88
post May 24 2019, 08:19 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

LedAvance is by Osram. The price is more expensive than Philips. On FSL,some said they are oem for Toshiba. The price sold by major department store is pricey. I gotten about rm10 each for 4ft in a local ligthing shop.FSL is 18w, 1800 lumens vs Philips (High Output) 20w, 2100 lumens.
My 1st T8 led is FSL and since upgraded to Philips now. FSL is reliable, obviously not bright vs Philips HO.

For slimline T8 led bracket, using Philips wiring setting, one can get from Houses of Ligthing in Puchong.Better quality than the generic rm5 one (they also selling generic one) but price is slightly above rm10 each. To me it's worth as bracket easily last more than 10 years.

This post has been edited by mot88: May 24 2019, 08:24 AM
frostier
post May 24 2019, 08:32 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ May 24 2019, 08:19 AM)
LedAvance is by Osram. The price is more expensive than Philips. On FSL,some said they are oem for Toshiba. The price sold by major department store is pricey. I gotten about rm10 each for 4ft in a local ligthing shop.FSL is 18w, 1800 lumens vs Philips (High Output) 20w, 2100 lumens.
My 1st T8 led is FSL and since upgraded to Philips now. FSL is reliable, obviously not bright vs Philips HO.

For slimline T8 led bracket, using Philips wiring setting, one can get from Houses of Ligthing in Puchong.Better quality than the generic rm5 one (they also selling generic one) but price is slightly above rm10 each. To me it's worth as bracket easily last more than 10 years.
LEDvance no longer part of Osram.
They owned by MLS from a China
ryuzaki_L
post May 31 2019, 02:07 PM

Enthusiast
767 posts

Hi guys, I have installed Philips ecofit 20w with EMP starter replacing fluorescent t8 32w. I monitor on daily basis and don't see the electric consumption going down. The light is indeed brighter than fluorescent though.
Is that normal?

This post has been edited by ryuzaki_L: May 31 2019, 02:07 PM
ozak
post May 31 2019, 02:42 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(ryuzaki_L @ May 31 2019, 02:07 PM)
Hi guys, I have installed Philips ecofit 20w with EMP starter replacing fluorescent t8 32w. I monitor on daily basis and don't see the electric consumption going down. The light is indeed brighter than fluorescent though.
Is that normal?
You can do the calculation.

32W-20W=12W save.

If 1 day 8hr ON - 12Wx8hr=96whr save perday.

1 Month saving 96whr x 365 /12=2.9kwh of saving permonth.

TNB rate 0.218sen/kw x 2.9kwh=0.63sen saving each month.

Do you see your bill drop 0.63sen ?
frostier
post May 31 2019, 05:09 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ May 31 2019, 02:42 PM)
You can do the calculation.

32W-20W=12W save.

If 1 day 8hr ON - 12Wx8hr=96whr save perday.

1 Month saving 96whr x 365 /12=2.9kwh of saving permonth.

TNB rate 0.218sen/kw x 2.9kwh=0.63sen saving each month.

Do you see your bill drop 0.63sen ?
do u have power meter?
ozak
post May 31 2019, 05:38 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ May 31 2019, 05:09 PM)
do u have power meter?
What is power meter ?
sgpdsmss
post Jul 14 2019, 10:10 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

i think this T8 LED tube working about 10years for me ...today its down ..
switch on..the tube no light up ...replaced another tube ..its light up ..

so anything can use the LED on the tube ?

thanks ...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
ozak
post Jul 14 2019, 08:29 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 14 2019, 10:10 AM)
i think this T8 LED tube working about 10years for me ...today its down ..
switch on..the tube no light up ...replaced another tube ..its light up ..

so anything can use the LED on the tube ?
thanks ...
You can find out the Led DC voltage and drive it with battery or a power supply.
sgpdsmss
post Jul 14 2019, 10:12 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jul 14 2019, 08:29 PM)
You can find out the Led DC voltage and drive it with battery or a power supply.
how ?
ozak
post Jul 16 2019, 08:27 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jul 14 2019, 10:12 PM)
how ?
Need some skill to do.

2 way. Either use power supply to check what voltage or find out the component spec and running circuit.

No skill, just throw it away.
sgpdsmss
post Jul 16 2019, 10:13 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jul 16 2019, 08:27 AM)
Need some skill to do.

2 way. Either use power supply to check what voltage or find out the component spec and running circuit.

No skill, just throw it away.
haha...keep it 1ST..
PollyPocket85
post Jul 16 2019, 10:16 AM

Getting Started
271 posts

i bought philips T8 led tube comes together with a bypass starter. very easy to change on your own
UnknownH
post Oct 30 2019, 08:34 PM

Enthusiast
1,437 posts

Hello everyone, I'm not really keen to create new topic for asking this only.

Which/what brand t8 led is comparable to conventional fluorescent t8 in term of brightness?

I did try one of t8 led tubes from Mr DIY rated around 1700 lumens(not sure exact value, plus minus 100) and really obvious how dimmer it is compared to conventional one.
Conventional t8 36W gives around 2600 lumens(at least Philip's).
frostier
post Oct 31 2019, 08:21 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(UnknownH @ Oct 30 2019, 08:34 PM)

Which/what brand t8 led is comparable to conventional fluorescent t8 in term of brightness?

I did try one of t8 led tubes from Mr DIY rated around 1700 lumens(not sure exact value, plus minus 100) and really obvious how dimmer it is compared to conventional one.
you can't compare this apple to apple
Conventional fluo T8 emit 360, which your 2600 lumen will need to cater for the optical/reflector loss.

For LED T8, you can ask for 2100lumen or higher.
ozak
post Oct 31 2019, 08:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(UnknownH @ Oct 30 2019, 08:34 PM)

Go get this Philips ecofit 20W T8 Led. It have 2100l.

It's almost equal to conventional 36W T8.

The 6500k make you feel like 2700l.

user posted image

This post has been edited by ozak: Oct 31 2019, 08:51 AM
UnknownH
post Oct 31 2019, 08:34 PM

Enthusiast
1,437 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Oct 31 2019, 08:21 AM)
you can't compare this apple to apple
Conventional fluo T8 emit 360, which your 2600 lumen will need to cater for the optical/reflector loss.

For LED T8, you can ask for 2100lumen or higher.
QUOTE(ozak @ Oct 31 2019, 08:50 AM)

user posted image
Will keep that in mind. Cheers.
Uncle 6
post Nov 2 2019, 12:58 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(failed.hashcheck @ Jul 1 2018, 01:25 AM)
Anyone know where can I get Philips Master T8 LED (Cool White 840)? One that sells in 2-4 pack, not 10.

Ecofit with 73 CRI feels kinda depressing lol
Also anyone have installed 4ft Philips Linea T5 to replace regular 4ft T8? (https://www.philips.com.my/c-p/310943166/linea-wall-light)
How is it going? is the brightness reduction gets too noticeable?

I plan to replace a 4ft T8 with 2 units of Philips T5 LED to get more even illumination, but I afraid the brightness would be problem.

Existing 3000lm brightboost bulb illuminated the room juuuust right.
Even I install 2 T5 LED to come with 2000lm, I afraid 1000lm short will be too noticeable.
Only lighting enthusiasts know the importance of CRI
You might have to seperate the two t5 lighting apart to give a thoroughly evenly spread illumination.

This post has been edited by Uncle 6: Nov 2 2019, 01:42 PM
UnknownH
post Nov 11 2019, 04:41 PM

Enthusiast
1,437 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Oct 31 2019, 08:50 AM)

user posted image
Being potentially cheapskate here.
Worth to get one of these? How would it fare against the Philip's?

https://shopee.com.my/product/142282385/223...8912?smtt=0.0.9

https://shopee.com.my/product/53595731/1042343553?smtt=0.0.9
frostier
post Nov 13 2019, 06:33 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(UnknownH @ Nov 11 2019, 04:41 PM)
Being potentially cheapskate here.
Worth to get one of these? How would it fare against the Philip's?

https://shopee.com.my/product/142282385/223...8912?smtt=0.0.9

https://shopee.com.my/product/53595731/1042343553?smtt=0.0.9
It's entirely up to you. Never try those before.

1. You can't be sure of the safety of the product. Philips brand have better brand image, in the event there's product issue, they shall react on it.
2. None of the product states their PF, so if the product u purchase have very low PF, you will end up consume more energy.
3. i've installed LED from Philips for the last 6 years
UnknownH
post Nov 13 2019, 06:48 PM

Enthusiast
1,437 posts

QUOTE(frostier @ Nov 13 2019, 06:33 PM)
It's entirely up to you. Never try those before.

1. You can't be sure of the safety of the product. Philips brand have better brand image, in the event there's product issue, they shall react on it.
2. None of the product states their PF, so if the product u purchase have very low PF, you will end up consume more energy.
3. i've installed LED from Philips for the last 6 years
One of them actually stated(on other product page, basically same item). >0.9

Think I'll take my chances. Probably one or two just to try out.

This post has been edited by UnknownH: Nov 13 2019, 06:48 PM
lurkingaround
post Nov 17 2019, 06:32 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

Just installed 4 feet LED T8 tube lights = 24W/7000K = brighter than old 36W fluoro lights = no hurt eyes reading on white paper. Cost me RM15 per set, ie tube and bracket, from nearby hardware store = no need ballast and starter.

Anyone know how to wire up 2 separate LED lights, eg for a large living room.?
sgpdsmss
post Nov 17 2019, 07:48 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 17 2019, 06:32 PM)
Just installed 4 feet LED T8 tube lights = 24W/7000K = brighter than old 36W fluoro lights = no hurt eyes reading on white paper. Cost me RM15 per set, ie tube and bracket, from nearby hardware store = no need ballast and starter.

Anyone know how to wire up 2 separate LED lights, eg for a large living room.?
now got 7000k ? i just know 6500k only ..
can share some photo ?

thanks ..
lurkingaround
post Nov 17 2019, 09:26 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 17 2019, 07:48 PM)
now got 7000k ? i just know 6500k only ..
can share some photo ?

thanks ..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32797464152.html

Sorry, only got a possible link, no photos because too much of a hassle to post one here.

An electrical lighting shop nearby my house also got sell 4-feet LED T8 frosted tube lights rated at 30W/7000K for the same price of RM15 per set = very bright because inside got more individual LED bulbs = consume more electricity.
....... Also got 22W/6500K ones for RM10 per set but not as bright as the 24W/7000K ones. You may also be able to buy clear tube ones = but the LED bulbs are glaring to the eyes if at 7000K brightness.

I also bought 2-feet 11W/6500K ones for the bathrooms. Same price of RM15 per set.

So, I recommend either 24W/7000K or 30W/7000K frosted tube ones for large rooms like living room, kitchen and bedrooms.. For a normal living room, 6500K not bright enough.

This post has been edited by lurkingaround: Nov 17 2019, 09:33 PM
sgpdsmss
post Nov 18 2019, 08:17 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 17 2019, 09:26 PM)

Sorry, only got a possible link, no photos because too much of a hassle to post one here.

An electrical lighting shop nearby my house also got sell 4-feet LED T8 frosted tube lights rated at 30W/7000K for the same price of RM15 per set = very bright because inside got more individual LED bulbs = consume more electricity.
....... Also got 22W/6500K ones for RM10 per set but not as bright as the 24W/7000K ones. You may also be able to buy clear tube ones = but the LED bulbs are glaring to the eyes if at 7000K brightness.

I also bought 2-feet 11W/6500K ones for the bathrooms. Same price of RM15 per set.

So, I recommend either 24W/7000K or 30W/7000K frosted tube ones for large rooms like living room, kitchen and bedrooms.. For a normal living room, 6500K not bright enough.
current using Philip 20w 2.1k lum 6.5k for outside ..
wonder 7k can be brightness ?do you know the lumin measurement ?

btw..how do you input the AC voltage ?the Philip one a bit special compare those China tube .

thanks ..
lurkingaround
post Nov 18 2019, 10:00 AM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 18 2019, 08:17 AM)
current using Philip 20w 2.1k lum 6.5k for outside ..
wonder 7k can be brightness ?do  you know the lumin measurement ?

btw..how do you input the AC voltage ?the Philip one a bit special compare those China tube .

thanks ..
It's 1920 Lumen for the 24W/7000K LED light.

I think both Lumen and Kelvin can be for brightness/whiteness, eg no point having 2000 Lumen(= very bright) at 3000K(= yellow light) if you want full white brightness. ....... https://www.earthled.com/blogs/led-lighting...lvins-and-watts - What is the difference between Lumens, Kelvins and Watts?

The included bracket for the LED tube light has 2 electrical wire connectors from the 2 end-holders of the tube, for connection to the Live and Neutral wires coming out of the ceiling or wall. The wire connections are reversible, ie you can connect the L & N wires either way, to complete the circuit.
sgpdsmss
post Nov 18 2019, 10:08 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 10:00 AM)

I think both Lumen and Kelvin can be for brightness/whiteness, eg no point having 2000 Lumen(= very bright) at 3000K(= yellow light) if you want full white brightness. ....... https://www.earthled.com/blogs/led-lighting...lvins-and-watts - What is the difference between Lumens, Kelvins and Watts?

The included bracket for the LED tube light has 2 electrical wire connectors from the 2 end-holders of the tube, for connection to the Live and Neutral wires coming out of the ceiling or wall. The wire connections are reversible, ie you can connect the L & N wires either way, to complete the circuit.

24w produce 1920 lumen ...the covered area still smaller than the Philip 20w 2100lumen? or IM wrong ?

for Philip one ...1 wire connect to left side ...1wire connect to right side ...instead of 2 end holder ...

thanks ...
lurkingaround
post Nov 18 2019, 10:26 AM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 18 2019, 10:08 AM)
24w produce 1920 lumen ...the covered area still smaller than the Philip 20w 2100lumen? or IM wrong ?

for Philip one ...1 wire connect to left side ...1wire connect to right side ...instead of 2 end holder ...

thanks ...
Your Philips 2100 Lumen light is likely brighter but my Wurui 7000K light is whiter.

Also, my Wurui 24W light has more LED bulbs inside = this may mean that my Wurui light is overall brighter and whiter than your Philips light.

I could have gone for the even brighter 30W/7000K light but preferred not to consume more electricity since the 24W/7000K light was already bright enough for my living room. Similarly, no point putting the same bright light in my small 7' X 5' bathroom = I used the 2-feet 11W/6500K light.

It still boils down to personal preference.

ozak
post Nov 18 2019, 12:25 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 10:00 AM)

6500k,7000k or 3000k is a light color temperature. 3000k is a more yellowish white. While 6500k is more white. Some manufacturing keep it short as warm light and day light.

Lumens is brightness. 2100L is more brighter than 1700L. It is a correct measurement of the light brightness.

Watt is a power of the electrical appliance. The higher the watt, the more consumption of the eletricity.

From this, watt doesn't tell you how bright the light. It only tell you the light power consumption.

So how efficiency is the light?

A 24w led light produce 1920 Lumens , 1920/24 = 80L per 1 watt. It's mean the light use 1W of power consumption to produce 80L of light brightness.

Take another Philip T8 led. 20W produce 2100Lumens, 2100/20 = 105L perwatt.

That means, Philip Led T8 is more efficiency and save more as a LED light.

People always confuse between color of the light and brightness. Always read the spec of lumens = brightness and K = temperature color of the light.

You will be able to tell how bright is to step back far from the light. The overall shine the area will be lesser or further.

Having too high k light 7000k will not give higher brightness. It's the color that make you "feel" bright. Too high K will cause glare and also cause your eye have difficult look in the dark when getting age.
lurkingaround
post Nov 18 2019, 12:47 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

ozak

I asked the electrical lighting shopkeeper why the 30W/7000K light is brighter than the 24W/7000K light.? He answered that there are more LED bulbs inside the 30W/7000K light = consumes more electricity but brighter. It's not because it is less power efficient in terms of Lumen per Watt.

Please have a look at the individual bulbs(its number can vary) inside the Clear-type LED T8 tube lights at this link .......
ozak
post Nov 18 2019, 01:07 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 12:47 PM)
ozak

I asked the electrical lighting shopkeeper why the 30W/7000K light is brighter than the 24W/7000K light.? He answered that there are more LED bulbs inside the 30W/7000K light = consumes more electricity but brighter. It's not because it is less power efficient in terms of Lumen per Watt.

Please have a look at the individual bulbs(its number can vary) inside the Clear-type LED T8 tube lights at this link .......
Of course put more led inside the tube will consume more watt. And also more bright as the LED quantity increase.

For example, the 24w led have 24pcs of LED inside where each LED consume 1watt of power.

How to increase the brightness?

Solution - increase the qty LED. So put 30pcs of LED inside will increase the brightness. But at the same time consumption also increase. 30pcs LED = 30x1w= 30watt.

Another solution is R&D a better LED where 1pcs LED produce more light at 1watt/LED.

In this way, the LED qty didn't increase but produce britghter light.

That's efficiency.

That's also why a cheaper solution have a cheaper price product. While R&D requires higher cost and time to produce a product.
sgpdsmss
post Nov 18 2019, 01:31 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 10:26 AM)
Your Philips 2100 Lumen light is likely brighter but my Wurui 7000K light is whiter.

Also, my Wurui 24W light has more LED bulbs inside = this may mean that my Wurui light is overall brighter and whiter than your Philips light.

I could have gone for the even brighter 30W/7000K light but preferred not to consume more electricity since the 24W/7000K light was already bright enough for my living room. Similarly, no point putting the same bright light in my small 7' X 5' bathroom = I used the 2-feet 11W/6500K light.

It still boils down to personal preference.
brighter and whiteer....but the area covered better than 2100 lumem?

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 18 2019, 12:25 PM)
6500k,7000k or 3000k is a light color temperature. 3000k is a more yellowish white. While 6500k is more white. Some manufacturing keep it short as warm light and day light.

Lumens is brightness. 2100L is more brighter than 1700L. It is a correct measurement of the light brightness.

Watt is a power of the electrical appliance. The higher the watt, the more consumption of the eletricity.

From this, watt doesn't tell you how bright the light. It only tell you the light power consumption.

So how efficiency is the light?

A 24w led light produce 1920 Lumens , 1920/24 = 80L per 1 watt. It's mean the light use 1W of power consumption to produce 80L of light brightness.

Take another Philip T8 led. 20W produce 2100Lumens, 2100/20 = 105L perwatt.

That means, Philip Led T8 is more efficiency and save more as a LED light.

People always confuse between color of the light and brightness. Always read the spec of lumens = brightness and K = temperature color of the light.

You will be able to tell how bright is to step back far from the light. The overall shine the area will be lesser or further.

Having too high k light 7000k will not give higher brightness. It's the color that make you "feel" bright. Too high K will cause glare and also cause your eye have difficult look in the dark when getting age.
can i say that 2100 lumem the light shine to the area will be more widen then the 1920 lumem light ?

thanks ..
lurkingaround
post Nov 18 2019, 01:49 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 18 2019, 01:31 PM)
brighter and whiteer....but the area covered better than 2100 lumem?

thanks ..
When choosing an LED frosted tube light, I think we need to look at all 3 ratings of Wattage(= number of LED bulbs inside), Lumen(= brightness) and Kelvin(= whiteness).

To light up a large room at night, we should go for high Wattage, Lumen and Kelvin. Which high combination of W/L/K is up to personal preference. In my case, I prefer 24W/1920L/7000K lights for my living room. You prefer 20W/2100L/6500K for your porch. Others may prefer different highness combination.
...... Of course, it is not advisable to go for a low W/L/K combination for a large room/area, eg avoid 18W/1600L/3000K lights.

ozak
post Nov 18 2019, 01:53 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 18 2019, 01:31 PM)
can i say that 2100 lumem the light shine to the area will be more widen then the 1920 lumem light ?
thanks ..
Yup. it will be more widen and further. But the small number different will not give you much judge. But will have different when few yrs time usage.

When I install the philip 20W led and compare the old Fluro, I can see the old fluro shine further or cover wider area. Old T8 fluro have a higher lumens.

Even the Philip LED look whiter, it doesn't cover wider area.

You have to step back further where your eye can see the whole area in order to compare the brightness. Or if you have the light/Lumens meter to check.
ozak
post Nov 18 2019, 02:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 01:49 PM)
When choosing an LED frosted tube light, I think we need to look at all 3 ratings of Wattage(= number of LED bulbs inside), Lumen(= brightness) and Kelvin(= whiteness).

To light up a large room at night, we should go for high Wattage, Lumen and Kelvin. Which high combination of W/L/K is up to personal preference. In my case, I prefer 24W/1920L/7000K lights for my living room. You prefer 20W/2100L/6500K for your porch. Others may prefer different highness combination.
...... Of course, it is not advisable to go for a low W/L/K combination for a large room/area, eg avoid 18W/1600L/3000K lights.
In my living room, I mix the LED 3500k with 6500k. To reduce the glare of 6500k. It also gentle to my eye with yellowish white.

My sleeping room is around 2900k-3500k. It's warn yellow light. And also my car porch.

I prefer warn yellow light than 6500k.

And of course the reason we change to LED is to cost down our bill. Looking at a higher wattage light doesn't sound logic.

lurkingaround
post Nov 18 2019, 02:46 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

ozak

The Chinese coffee-shops that I often go to, all use bright/white/high Wattage/Lumen/Kelvin 4-feet LED T8 frosted tube lights, ie not low W/L/3500K lights.

7000K lights are not glaring as long as you do not look directly at them for more than a second or 2. I think the 3500K or below yellow-white or not-so-bright/white lights are more for a dimly-lit romantic setting.

Previously, I changed all my 18W 4-feet fluoroscent tube lights in my house to 36W ones for more brightness. The 18W ones were installed by an electrical contractor many years ago.
sgpdsmss
post Nov 18 2019, 06:34 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 01:49 PM)

looking for high W less than 30W..high lumem ...6500k above ..
for outside ....
currently Philip still fit my requirement ..

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 18 2019, 01:53 PM)
Yup. it will be more widen and further. But the small number different will not give you much judge. But will have different when few yrs time usage.

When I install the philip 20W led and compare the old Fluro, I can see the old fluro shine further or cover wider area. Old T8 fluro have a higher lumens.

You have to step back further where your eye can see the whole area in order to compare the brightness. Or if you have the light/Lumens meter to check.
been using Philip 1year plus ~2years ...
now in market the higher k is 7000k ?

thanks ..
lurkingaround
post Nov 18 2019, 08:32 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 18 2019, 01:53 PM)

Fluorescent lights are omnidirectional. Omnidirectional lights produce light in 360 degrees. This is a large system inefficiency because at least half of the light needs to be reflected and redirected to the desired area being illuminated. The need for reflection and redirection of light means that the output is much less efficient for omnidirectional lights due to losses than it would be for the same light if it were directional by its nature. It also means that more accessory parts are required in the light fixture itself in order to reflect or focus the luminous output of the bulb (thus increasing unit costs).

LEDs are extremely energy efficient relative to every other commercially available lighting technology. There are several reasons for this to include the fact they waste very little energy in the form of infrared radiation (much different than most conventional lights to include fluorescent lights), and they emit light directionally (over 180 degrees versus 360 degrees which means there are far fewer losses from the need to redirect or reflect light).

https://www.stouchlighting.com/blog/fluores...t-vs-led-vs-cfl

For my large living room(22' X 75' link house), I have to install two 4-feet LED T8 24W/7000K/1920L frosted tube lights to cover it with enough brightness and whiteness. One light, no matter the highest W/K/L, whether LED or fluorescent, is not enough to cover the whole of my living room.
....... For my bedroom, one such light is enough to cover it with sufficient brightness and whiteness. For my small bathroom, one 2-feet LED T8 11W/6500K frosted tube light is enough.
sgpdsmss
post Nov 19 2019, 08:10 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 08:32 PM)

For my large living room(22' X 75' link house), I have to install two 4-feet LED T8 24W/7000K/1920L frosted tube lights to cover it with enough brightness and whiteness. One light, no matter the highest W/K/L, whether LED or fluorescent, is not enough to cover the whole of my living room.
....... For my bedroom, one such light is enough to cover it with sufficient brightness and whiteness. For my small bathroom, one 2-feet LED T8 11W/6500K frosted tube light is enough.
yes ..for your case yes ...

my case is to find higher lumem which is over 2100k with less than 30W for to cover widen area outside my house ...
initially thinking your 24W 7000k will covered widen ...but its not ..caused lumem still less than my current Philip...
ozak
post Nov 19 2019, 08:51 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 02:46 PM)
ozak

The Chinese coffee-shops that I often go to, all use bright/white/high Wattage/Lumen/Kelvin 4-feet LED T8 frosted tube lights, ie not low W/L/3500K lights.

7000K lights are not glaring as long as you do not look directly at them for more than a second or 2. I think the 3500K or below yellow-white or not-so-bright/white lights are more for a dimly-lit romantic setting.

Previously, I changed all my 18W 4-feet fluoroscent tube lights in my house to 36W ones for more brightness. The 18W ones were installed by an electrical contractor many years ago.
I not sure what age are you. But have you notice that, older people have problem seeing in dark or at night ?

They often complain that the place is too dark. While the young said it's fine?

That is the problem when you constantly expose to light too bright and glare.

Especially now 6500k is not enough for people. That is some alarming problem coming.

What happen if people chasing till 7500k or 8000k ?

3500k or yellow light is not dimly lit. Yellow light can be very bright if the lumens is high. Again don't confuse between bright and color or Lumens and kelvin.

Have you use before downlight bulb CFL which is 3500k 1600L ? If you use before, you know how bright that yellow CFL bulb.

Do you know light color have wavelenght? Why street light or your car head light is yellow? Why all the car brand don't put a 7000k head light?

ozak
post Nov 19 2019, 09:00 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 18 2019, 06:34 PM)
been using Philip 1year plus ~2years ...
now in market the higher k is 7000k ?

thanks ..
I don't no that light now got 7000k.

Cause I don't chase for higher white color light.

I prefer 3500k or max 6500k mix.

If want brighter to cover large room, just get higher lumens light or increase the light qty.

Also yellow light ex- 3500k-4000k help increase the coverage area.

Last time I do conduct some experiments about suitable bright for certain activity in my home. Like if reading, what lux is suitable, watching tv or general, what lux is enough. Using a light meter.

Don't no where the topic hides already.
ozak
post Nov 19 2019, 09:05 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 18 2019, 08:32 PM)

For room size, light bound around the wall. And also placement of the light that how increase the bright of the room without need too high lumens and color.

So why a toilet can be bright with lower lumens is because the 4 wall of the small toilet size bound the light.

ozak
post Nov 19 2019, 09:11 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 19 2019, 08:10 AM)

my case is to find higher lumem which is over 2100k with less than 30W for to cover widen area outside my house ...
initially thinking your 24W 7000k will covered widen ...but its not ..caused lumem still less than my current Philip...
Why you want a higher lumens to cover outside house?

If you want to do some work outside your house, try install 2 kind of light. Switch it off if you done your work.

Left the lower lumens light ON.

That also help reduces the bill.

Cause you are not working every day or the whole night.

lurkingaround
post Nov 19 2019, 10:08 AM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 19 2019, 08:51 AM)
I not sure what age are you. But have you notice that, older people have problem seeing in dark or at night ?

Especially now 6500k is not enough for people. That is some alarming problem coming.

3500k or yellow light is not dimly lit. Yellow light can be very bright if the lumens is high. Again don't confuse between bright and color or Lumens and kelvin.

Have you use before downlight bulb CFL which is 3500k 1600L ? If you use before, you know how bright that yellow CFL bulb.  

Do you know light color have wavelenght? Why street light or your car head light is yellow? Why all the car brand don't put a 7000k head light?
Most Chinese coffee-shops use bright white LED T8 tube lights and they cater to both the young and old.

Most highways use bright white LED streetlights.

Bright white 7000K LED car headlights cannot be used because they are glaring to the eyes of drivers of oncoming cars at night, which is unavoidable, ie the drivers have to look directly at the bright white 7000K car headlights for more than 2 seconds and be glared or blinded.
....... At home, residents do not have to look directly at the bright white 7000K LED T8 frosted tube lights for more than 2 seconds and be glared or blinded. Similarly for the difference between looking directly at the sun for more than 2 seconds and looking indirectly at things down here on earth that are being illuminated by the bright and white sunlight during the day.

This post has been edited by lurkingaround: Nov 19 2019, 05:36 PM
sgpdsmss
post Nov 19 2019, 10:12 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 19 2019, 09:11 AM)
Why you want a higher lumens to cover outside house?

If you want to do some work outside your house, try install 2 kind of light. Switch it off if you done your work.

Left the lower lumens light ON.

That also help reduces the bill.

Cause you are not working every day or the whole night.
haha..truth also ...not every day activity at outside house ..
its OK for my current Philip 20W tube ...
ozak
post Nov 19 2019, 10:33 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Here an example of a philip LED bulb which rate at 19w, 2700k. But 1620L.

2700k is very yellow light.

But when it illuminated, the light color is like 3500k-4000k. Cause it's 1620L. Which consider very bright for a small bulb.

Brought this bulb in US, 5yrs ago. This Philips LED model doesn't sell here.

user posted image
user posted image
TrueFalse
post Nov 19 2019, 10:54 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 19 2019, 10:33 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

120VAC? How? hmm.gif
ozak
post Nov 19 2019, 11:23 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(TrueFalse @ Nov 19 2019, 10:54 AM)
120VAC? How? hmm.gif
Brought in US. Use in US home.

lurkingaround
post Nov 19 2019, 05:33 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 19 2019, 11:23 AM)
Brought in US. Use in US home.
You are posting from USA.?

lurkingaround
post Nov 19 2019, 05:40 PM

Rule of Law
5,110 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 19 2019, 10:12 AM)
haha..truth also ...not every day activity at outside house ..
its OK for my current Philip 20W tube ...
haha ... I occasionally use LED torchlight outside the house at night = no need 20W LED T8 tube light. *sarcasm*

This post has been edited by lurkingaround: Nov 19 2019, 08:12 PM
sgpdsmss
post Nov 19 2019, 11:13 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(lurkingaround @ Nov 19 2019, 05:40 PM)
haha ... I occasionally use LED torchlight outside the house at night = no need 20W LED T8 tube light. *sarcasm*
my outside got extra Land with Awning covered ...not outside without roof...haha...
se800i
post Nov 26 2019, 01:48 PM

Regular
1,893 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Nov 19 2019, 09:10 AM)

QUOTE(ozak @ Nov 19 2019, 09:51 AM)

so conclusion means LUMENS is very important for light bulb.... correct me if I am wrong...
ceo684
post Nov 26 2019, 06:37 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(se800i @ Nov 26 2019, 01:48 PM)
so conclusion means LUMENS is very important for light bulb.... correct me if I am wrong...
Yes lumens is a measure of brightness.
However the thing is that perceived brightness (comparing 1000lm vs 2000lm, whilst it is technically double the light, but our eyes do not perceive it as double brightness).

Lumens (and lux and candela etc etc) are linearly additive but perceived brightness is logarithmic. E.G. adding an additional 500lux to an object already lit by 500lux means that the object will be receiving 1000lux, but the perceived brightness will not double.

The yellowness/blueness is measured by colour temp (e.g. 6500K/3000K).
tnghian
post Jun 10 2020, 09:55 PM

Getting Started
81 posts

I just bought Philips eco t8, any installer can install&charge me in puchong? Tq

This post has been edited by tnghian: Jun 10 2020, 09:56 PM
ozak
post Jun 10 2020, 10:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(tnghian @ Jun 10 2020, 09:55 PM)
I just bought Philips eco t8, any installer can install&charge me in puchong? Tq
Replace or install new?

If replace, can easily diy.
tnghian
post Jun 11 2020, 08:12 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 10 2020, 10:27 PM)
Replace or install new?

If replace, can easily diy.
Replace, diy not easy for me...
syk
post Jun 12 2020, 01:53 PM

Casual
313 posts

QUOTE(tnghian @ Jun 11 2020, 08:12 AM)
It is just plug and play with dummy starter c/w the t8 unit.
Unless you prefer to redo wiring to remove the old adapter.
ceo684
post Jun 12 2020, 05:52 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(tnghian @ Jun 11 2020, 08:12 AM)
Replace should be quite straight forward, old casing is held on (usually) with two screws and there will be two wires for power coming out of it.
Off everything in DB box then only start work.
You probably need a + screwdriver and small - (test pen). New one also screw in with two screws to mount, but hole location might not match old casing
sgpdsmss
post Jun 14 2020, 08:51 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

currently using Philip eco 20w tube ..wonder replace with 200w solar LED will be more brightness?
to save energy..haha...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
ozak
post Jun 14 2020, 12:48 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jun 14 2020, 08:51 AM)
currently using Philip eco 20w tube ..wonder replace with 200w solar LED will be more brightness?
to save energy..haha...
For ?
sgpdsmss
post Jun 14 2020, 03:04 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 14 2020, 12:48 PM)
For ?
for replace current T8 tube 20w..

the 200w solar LED cost rm120 ...
wonder the battery can last for how long ...
ozak
post Jun 15 2020, 08:45 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jun 14 2020, 03:04 PM)
for replace current T8 tube 20w..

the 200w solar LED cost rm120 ...
wonder the battery can last for how long ...
I mean the T8 tube mainly for indoor room use. Where it design is for all direction bright and short throw. (short light distance)

But the 200w LED you wonder is an outdoor spotlight narrow beam?

So for what purpose you want to apply to it?
sgpdsmss
post Jun 15 2020, 10:09 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 15 2020, 08:45 AM)
I mean the T8 tube mainly for indoor room use. Where it design is for all direction bright and short throw. (short light distance)

But the 200w LED you wonder is an outdoor spotlight narrow beam?

So for what purpose you want to apply to it?
to save 20w current 12hours per day for every month ...

how long can it be return if the 200w LED cost rm130

thanks...
ozak
post Jun 15 2020, 10:16 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jun 15 2020, 10:09 AM)
to save 20w current 12hours per day for every month ...

how long can it be return if the 200w LED cost rm130

thanks...
20wx12hr=240whr/day.

240whr x 365 /12=7.3kwhr/mth

I have no spec on the 200w LED. what is the battery capacity and the hr usage is can draw before recharge ?
sgpdsmss
post Jun 15 2020, 06:52 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 15 2020, 10:16 AM)
20wx12hr=240whr/day.

240whr x 365 /12=7.3kwhr/mth

I have no spec on the 200w LED. what is the battery capacity and the hr usage is can draw before recharge ?
spec as showed in the photo ..

let say the rate 0.334 ...so 7.3kwhr/mth = how much per month?

thanks ..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
ozak
post Jun 17 2020, 01:47 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jun 15 2020, 06:52 PM)
spec as showed in the photo ..

let say the rate 0.334 ...so 7.3kwhr/mth = how much per month?

thanks ..
0.334 x 7.3kwh = RM2.44

To run a 200w led light for 12hr daily, require

200w x 12hr = 2.4kwhr/day

You need 507Ah battery ( discharge to 50%)

And 624kw of solar panel.

Not worth to install.

The specification look not realistic.

1) solar charging time too long. Not able to charge full perday.
2) battery bank not enough solar panel capacity to charge it full daily. Slowly deplete and kong.
3) 45w/6v Panel?

The spec look scam to me.

This post has been edited by ozak: Jun 17 2020, 01:52 PM
sgpdsmss
post Jun 18 2020, 10:25 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 17 2020, 01:47 PM)
0.334 x 7.3kwh = RM2.44
To run a 200w led light for 12hr daily, require

200w x 12hr = 2.4kwhr/day

You need 507Ah battery ( discharge to 50%)

And 624kw of solar panel.

Not worth to install.

The specification look not realistic.

1) solar charging time too long. Not able to charge full perday.
2) battery bank not enough solar panel capacity to charge it full daily. Slowly deplete and kong.
3) 45w/6v Panel?

The spec look scam to me.
just rm2.44 per month only for 20w LED on 12hours per day ..

thats why selling so cheap price...haha...

if 624kw solar panel cost how much ? few k?
ozak
post Jun 18 2020, 10:31 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jun 18 2020, 10:25 AM)
just rm2.44 per month only for 20w LED on 12hours per day ..
thats why selling so cheap price...haha...

if 624kw solar panel cost how much ? few k?
Don't underestimate the small amount permonth.

When a little bit here and there adds up, the bill is shocking.

Many people don't understand why their bill so high. When think didn't use much the appliance.

Depend the quality panel.

Generally 4kw panel cost RM11k.

* Sorry my mistake. It should be 624watt panel. Not 624kw. Under 1kw panel. Get 3pcs 250watt panel is sufficient.

This post has been edited by ozak: Jun 18 2020, 10:35 AM
sgpdsmss
post Jun 18 2020, 01:42 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 18 2020, 10:31 AM)
Don't underestimate the small amount permonth.

When a little bit here and there adds up, the bill is shocking.

Many people don't understand why their bill so high. When think didn't use much the appliance.

Depend the quality panel.

Generally 4kw panel cost RM11k.

* Sorry my mistake. It should be 624watt panel. Not 624kw. Under 1kw panel. Get 3pcs 250watt panel is sufficient.
45W/6V solar panel can last for how long use for 200w LED light ?

lazada selling 250w solar panel only cost rm4Xx at least ..if 3pcs ...total rm1k plus plus ...
5p3ak
post Nov 11 2020, 10:33 PM

CPE, FIG Certified Gymnastics Coach
5,648 posts

How to calculate how many number of lights/lumen/wattage needed for a living room?

Size is 10' width by 20' length, ceiling height is 9' . Window 6' wide by 4' height north facing.

Thank you
Imp Bron
post Dec 25 2020, 06:00 PM

Getting Started
129 posts

QUOTE(birain @ Aug 18 2017, 09:18 AM)
so many words and no video.....here's a tutorial about converting to LED tube light.

Best video so far that extra explained this. I was confused with so many methods. Turn out there is two type of LED tube, double sided and single sided. Then two type of tombstone, shunted and non shunted

Each one connect differently

SUSTham
post Mar 18 2021, 01:48 AM

Regular
1,576 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 18 2017, 02:14 PM)

Old thread, but what happens if
the starter is left in, or one forgets
to take it out ?

ceo684
post Mar 18 2021, 08:54 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(Tham @ Mar 18 2021, 01:48 AM)
Old thread, but what happens if
the starter is left in, or one forgets
to take it out ?
It may damage the LED tube if a flourescent starter still left in coz the starter for legacy flourescent boosts the voltage higher.
Not to mention waste power to power the flourescent starter, and also if you have an old choke (ya those heavy bricks).

Nowadays T8 casing is dirt cheap, should use a new LED casing (sans starter type).
SUSTham
post Mar 19 2021, 04:54 PM

Regular
1,576 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Mar 18 2021, 12:54 PM)
It may damage the LED tube if a flourescent starter still left in coz the starter for legacy flourescent boosts the voltage higher.
Not to mention waste power to power the flourescent starter, and also if you have an old choke (ya those heavy bricks).

Nowadays T8 casing is dirt cheap, should use a new LED casing (sans starter type).
Thanks for the information.
sgpdsmss
post May 16 2021, 09:29 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

my philip ecofit tube totall no light up now ...

plan to change normal led t8 tube 30w ..
wonder how to wiring need to be connect using phili ecofit casing?

i plug china led tube into philip ecofit casing its broken the 13amp top plug fuse after switch on ..wonder the tube still function or not..

thanks...

This post has been edited by sgpdsmss: May 16 2021, 09:30 PM
ceo684
post May 16 2021, 10:54 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 16 2021, 09:29 PM)

i plug china led tube into philip ecofit casing its broken the 13amp top plug fuse after switch on ..wonder the tube still function or not..

thanks...
Can consider to just change the whole thing to LED linear batten e.g.
https://shopee.com.my/Philips-Essential-Sma...6980.6258783273 (4000K) or
https://shopee.com.my/Philips-Essential-Sma...6980.4858782596 (6500K)

Just hook up the power 2 wires and 2 screws for clip mounting, ta-dah.
SUSslimey
post May 16 2021, 11:19 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 16 2021, 09:29 PM)

thanks...
erm...........

i assume you left the philips "starter" in the lamp housing while testing the china led tube right?

philips ecofit lamp has the positive and negative terminal on the same side. the philips "starter" function is to change the lamp housing one side positive, one side negative to one side with positive and negative.

the china led lamp most likely is has the terminal one side positive, the other end negative.

so using it with the philips starter, you shorted positive to negative directly.

so,

1. the lamp housing should be ok.
2. i am guessing the china led is still ok.
3. you may test after changing the 13 amp fuse, and take out the philips "starter" and test the china led light.

sgpdsmss
post May 17 2021, 10:11 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ May 16 2021, 10:54 PM)
Can consider to just change the whole thing to LED linear batten e.g.
https://shopee.com.my/Philips-Essential-Sma...6980.6258783273 (4000K) or
https://shopee.com.my/Philips-Essential-Sma...6980.4858782596 (6500K)

Just hook up the power 2 wires and 2 screws for clip mounting, ta-dah.
does it more brighter compare to philip ecofit 20w?
will lizard play around at the casing?
current traditional casing ..lizard like to play around and dirty the casing..

QUOTE(slimey @ May 16 2021, 11:19 PM)
erm...........

i assume you left the philips "starter" in the lamp housing while testing the china led tube right?

philips ecofit lamp has the positive and negative terminal on the same side. the philips "starter" function is to change the lamp housing one side positive, one side negative to one side with positive and negative.

the china led lamp most likely is has the terminal one side positive, the other end negative.

so using it with the philips starter, you shorted positive to negative directly.

so,

1. the lamp housing should be ok.
2. i am guessing the china led is still ok.
3. you may test after changing the 13 amp fuse, and take out the philips "starter" and test the china led light.
nope starter on the housing..the housing was slim type that come together with the philip ecofit tube ..just plug n play ...

how to wiring from philip ecofit housing to suite china led tube?

thanks ...
brutus
post May 17 2021, 12:50 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

Basically there are 2 types of T8 LED Tube in the market:
1) Single Ended
2) Double Ended

All Philips/LEDVANCE (OSRAM)/GE/OPPLE (1 of the series) are single ended.
Most if not all China branded LED Tubes are double ended.
Both requires slightly different wiring.
SUSslimey
post May 17 2021, 12:59 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 10:11 AM)
will lizard play around at the casing?
current traditional casing ..lizard like to play around and dirty the casing..
nope starter on the housing..the housing was slim type that come together with the philip ecofit tube ..just plug n play ...

how to wiring from philip ecofit housing to suite china led tube?

thanks ...
then dont do the wiring, just buy those led where the terminals are at the same side.

look at the electrical diagram........usually printed on the led light.
sgpdsmss
post May 17 2021, 01:52 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(brutus @ May 17 2021, 12:50 PM)
Basically there are 2 types of T8 LED Tube in the market:
1) Single Ended
2) Double Ended

All Philips/LEDVANCE (OSRAM)/GE/OPPLE (1 of the series) are single ended.
Most if not all China branded LED Tubes are double ended.
Both requires slightly different wiring.
how to differentiate single ended vs double ended without seeing the brand ?

QUOTE(slimey @ May 17 2021, 12:59 PM)
then dont do the wiring, just buy those led where the terminals are at the same side.

look at the electrical diagram........usually printed on the led light.
china tube just tube only no showing wiring diagram i think ...

thanks ..
Maknusia
post May 17 2021, 01:59 PM

Enthusiast
933 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 01:52 PM)

thanks ..
Good question, I didnt know as well, there is such a difference. When I bought mine, the seller just said, remove the starter and and slot the LED.

Googling it, says,

single ended has Live and Neutral at the end of the tube

user posted image

whereas double ended has Live on one end the neutral at the other end.

user posted image

https://www.energyfocus.com/blog/single-end...ended-led-tube/

Looks like, mine is single ended then.
brutus
post May 17 2021, 02:44 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 10:11 AM)

Getting LEDs, do not refer the Power Ratings (W). Focus on the lumens output instead.
Eg Philips ECOFit comes in 2 different package. Using 4' as as example:

1) Standard Output- 18W = 1,800 lumen
2) High Output- 20W = 2,100 lumen

There are some more higher end models under the Master series:

1) Standard Output- 10.5W = 1,600 lumen
2) High Output- 14W = 2,100 lumen

The Master series are rated for 50K Hrs lifespan.
brutus
post May 17 2021, 02:45 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 01:52 PM)

thanks ..
You can see how the connection are made to the tube. Double ended T8 LED tubes have L and N on opposite ends.
sgpdsmss
post May 17 2021, 06:52 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(Maknusia @ May 17 2021, 01:59 PM)
Good question, I didnt know as well, there is such a difference. When I bought mine, the seller just said, remove the starter and and slot the LED.

Googling it, says,

single ended has Live and Neutral at the end of the tube

user posted image

whereas double ended has Live on one end the neutral at the other end.

user posted image

https://www.energyfocus.com/blog/single-end...ended-led-tube/

Looks like, mine is single ended then.
still cannot know single ended or double ended if no marking L and N

QUOTE(brutus @ May 17 2021, 02:44 PM)
Getting LEDs, do not refer the Power Ratings (W). Focus on the lumens output instead.
Eg Philips ECOFit comes in 2 different package. Using 4' as as example:

1) Standard Output- 18W = 1,800 lumen
2) High Output- 20W = 2,100 lumen

There are some more higher end models under the Master series:

1) Standard Output- 10.5W = 1,600 lumen
2) High Output- 14W = 2,100 lumen

The Master series are rated for 50K Hrs lifespan.
previously using philip ecofit 20 ..should be 2100 lumen ..
still felt not brighten...
plan to get those china 30w led tube ..supposed should be brighter?

QUOTE(brutus @ May 17 2021, 02:45 PM)
You can see how the connection are made to the tube. Double ended T8 LED tubes have L and N on opposite ends.
dismantle the end cap to see either single ended or double ended connection ?
mostly tube no marking L and N on the end cap right ..

thanks ...
sgpdsmss
post May 17 2021, 07:16 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

can see the lizard signed on the tube housing...haha..

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
SUSslimey
post May 17 2021, 08:18 PM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 06:52 PM)

user posted image

this is double end.
look for the wiring diagram...........it is always available on the led light.
brutus
post May 17 2021, 09:33 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 06:52 PM)
previously using philip ecofit 20 ..should be 2100 lumen ..
still felt not brighten...
plan to get those china 30w led tube ..supposed should be brighter?
dismantle the end cap to see either single ended or double ended connection ?
mostly tube no marking L and N on the end cap right ..
thanks ...
China 30W? What is the lumen output?
If not sufficient why not go for those 2x fittings?

Most if not all China rated lumen output drops significantly after 1-2 months of use. Just visit any Mr. DIY shops and you will know what I mean.
sgpdsmss
post May 17 2021, 09:42 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(slimey @ May 17 2021, 08:18 PM)
user posted image

this is double end.
look for the wiring diagram...........it is always available on the led light.
mine no indication the wiring diagram..

QUOTE(brutus @ May 17 2021, 09:33 PM)
China 30W? What is the lumen output?
If not sufficient why not go for those 2x fittings?

Most if not all China rated lumen output drops significantly after 1-2 months of use. Just visit any Mr. DIY shops and you will know what I mean.
it's say 2500 lumen ..

2x fitting ...if 1tube 20w total will be 40w...

this 30w RM10 per tube ..

Attached thumbnail(s)
brutus
post May 17 2021, 09:51 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 09:42 PM)
it's say 2500 lumen ..

I will take their specifications with a pinch of salt.
If you have a lux meter only you can tell whether it is degraded (less lumen output) over time.

Your choice, I will always stay clear of these "overclaimed" specifications and stick with reputable brands.
sgpdsmss
post May 17 2021, 10:08 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(brutus @ May 17 2021, 09:51 PM)
I will take their specifications with a pinch of salt.
If you have a lux meter only you can tell whether it is degraded (less lumen output) over time.

Your choice, I will always stay clear of these "overclaimed" specifications and stick with reputable brands.
i no have lux meter..
how long can be degraded?

reputable brand like philip?
1pc philip ecofit 20w down in 2years time ..
brutus
post May 18 2021, 08:31 AM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 10:08 PM)
i no have lux meter..
how long can be degraded?

reputable brand like philip?
1pc philip ecofit 20w down in 2years time ..
Reputable brands like Philips/LEDVANCE(OSRAM)/GE have at least 2 if not 3 ranges:

1. Consumer (10-15KHrs)
2. Retail/Commercial (20-30KHrs)
3. Professional (>50KHrs)

Only specialize shops can you find option 2 and 3. All shops you can find option 1 (which is fine for most application).
For me my own home, I always go for option 2 or 3 series and skip as much as possible option 1 as I am very lazy to change the tubes/bulbs and I intend to stay in my house long term.
Rule of thumb for most residential we use a 6Hrs utilization per day.
Hence Philips ECOFit (15KHrs) is supposed to last about 7yrs.

Reputable brands follow a L70B50 specifications, meaning to say even an ECOFit is rated 15KHrs, the lumen output cannot drop more than 30% of the rated output. Otherwise it is considered to be "faulty" even though the entire tube is lit up.

Try asking China brand for L70B50 specs!
ozak
post May 18 2021, 08:52 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 17 2021, 09:42 PM)
it's say 2500 lumen ..

2500/30 = 83L/watt.

2100/20 = 105L/watt

Look like Philip more efficiency per watt lumens deliver.

My office is using ecofit for 3yrs already. Not much lumens reduce.

My home also using ecofit. Replace the old T8. Lumens reduce to compare.

ozak
post May 18 2021, 08:52 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

delete.

This post has been edited by ozak: May 18 2021, 08:52 AM
sgpdsmss
post May 18 2021, 10:12 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(brutus @ May 18 2021, 08:31 AM)
Reputable brands like Philips/LEDVANCE(OSRAM)/GE have at least 2 if not 3 ranges:

1. Consumer (10-15KHrs)
2. Retail/Commercial (20-30KHrs)
3. Professional (>50KHrs)

Only specialize shops can you find option 2 and 3. All shops you can find option 1 (which is fine for most application).
For me my own home, I always go for option 2 or 3 series and skip as much as possible option 1 as I am very lazy to change the tubes/bulbs and I intend to stay in my house long term.
Rule of thumb for most residential we use a 6Hrs utilization per day.
Hence Philips ECOFit (15KHrs) is supposed to last about 7yrs.

Reputable brands follow a L70B50 specifications, meaning to say even an ECOFit is rated 15KHrs, the lumen output cannot drop more than 30% of the rated output. Otherwise it is considered to be "faulty" even though the entire tube is lit up.

Try asking China brand for L70B50 specs!
could be installed in shower room to shortage the life spend?

QUOTE(ozak @ May 18 2021, 08:52 AM)
2500/30 = 83L/watt.

2100/20 = 105L/watt

your office is under air-conditioning environment...so may last longer ?

thanks ...
ozak
post May 18 2021, 11:54 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 18 2021, 10:12 AM)

thanks ...
8hr run with aircon.

My home dinning and work room also using ecofit. no aircon. About 3yrs too.

This post has been edited by ozak: May 18 2021, 12:10 PM
brutus
post May 18 2021, 11:55 AM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ May 18 2021, 08:52 AM)
2500/30 = 83L/watt.

2100/20 = 105L/watt

Yes, using lumen/W is a more accurate measurement of any LED light.
Latest model of Philips Master series only requires 12.5W to produce 2,100 lumen (168 lm/W).
Even the recently soon to be phased out 14W is rated 150lm/W.
brutus
post May 18 2021, 11:57 AM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 18 2021, 10:12 AM)

thanks ...
As long as the ambient temperature is lower. the lifespan of any LED is longer.
Anyhow, Philips LED are rated for their system lifespan. Some brands quote 50KHrs but is actually the LED chip lifespan and not system (with driver/Power supply).
sgpdsmss
post May 18 2021, 01:05 PM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ May 18 2021, 11:54 AM)
8hr run with aircon.

My home dinning and work room also using ecofit. no aircon. About 3yrs too.
yours so tahan...

QUOTE(brutus @ May 18 2021, 11:55 AM)
Yes, using lumen/W is a more accurate measurement of any LED light.
Latest model of Philips Master series only requires 12.5W to produce 2,100 lumen (168 lm/W).
Even the recently soon to be phased out 14W is rated 150lm/W.
what's the price for philip master series ?

QUOTE(brutus @ May 18 2021, 11:57 AM)
As long as the ambient temperature is lower. the lifespan of any LED is longer.
Anyhow, Philips LED are rated for their system lifespan. Some brands quote 50KHrs but is actually the LED chip lifespan and not system (with driver/Power supply).
mine ecofit ....1 long tube separate into 3 parts ...1st part initially keep flicking ..after some time 1st part become black ...2nd part ..3rd part still light up ...after few days llater 2nd part black out ..leave 3Rd part ...after again ...whole tube black out ....
brutus
post May 18 2021, 01:45 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ May 18 2021, 01:05 PM)
yours so tahan...
what's the price for philip master series ?
mine ecofit ....1 long tube separate into 3 parts ...1st part initially keep flicking ..after some time 1st part become black ...2nd part ..3rd part still light up ...after few days llater 2nd part black out ..leave 3Rd part ...after again ...whole tube black out ....
Philips Master usually around RM 50++. I have been using them since the days it was 16W, then upgrade to 14W and now 12.5W. All also 2,100lm for 4' model.
Problem is my 16W not spoiled yet after 6 years in use. whistling.gif
Uncle 6
post May 21 2021, 02:00 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(brutus @ May 18 2021, 01:45 PM)
Philips Master usually around RM 50++. I have been using them since the days it was 16W, then upgrade to 14W and now 12.5W. All also 2,100lm for 4' model.
Problem is my 16W not spoiled yet after 6 years in use. whistling.gif
Color rendering should be good enough
alexander3133
post Oct 5 2021, 06:01 PM

Regular
1,649 posts

Wanted to ask which T8 LED that does not need starter?

Because I saw Philips MASTER has one kind of starter:
https://www.lighting.philips.com.my/prof/le...9902_EU/product

My current T8 LED tube is from GE, and does not have starter.
scorgio
post Oct 5 2021, 06:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,571 posts

QUOTE(alexander3133 @ Oct 5 2021, 06:01 PM)
Wanted to ask which T8 LED that does not need starter?

Because I saw Philips MASTER has one kind of starter:
https://www.lighting.philips.com.my/prof/le...9902_EU/product

My current T8 LED tube is from GE, and does not have starter.
If u're installing a double sided T8 LED tube to a fluorescent casing, u need to replace the normal starter to a EMP starter, that's how the whole circuitry works.

If the casing is dedicated for LED tube, there's no starter required. Just must note if the casing is single sided or double sided & buy LED tube accordingly.
alexander3133
post Oct 5 2021, 06:14 PM

Regular
1,649 posts

QUOTE(scorgio @ Oct 5 2021, 06:07 PM)
If u're installing a double sided T8 LED tube to a fluorescent casing, u need to replace the normal starter to a EMP starter, that's how the whole circuitry works.

If the casing is dedicated for LED tube, there's no starter required. Just must note if the casing is single sided or double sided & buy LED tube accordingly.
My T8 casing is single sided.
How do I differentiate the T8 tube is single sided or double sided?
scorgio
post Oct 5 2021, 08:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,571 posts

QUOTE(alexander3133 @ Oct 5 2021, 06:14 PM)
My T8 casing is single sided.
How do I differentiate the T8 tube is single sided or double sided?
Single sided means one end is L, one end is N. Cannot reverse.

Double sided = both side 1 pin L 1 pin N.
alexander3133
post Oct 5 2021, 09:21 PM

Regular
1,649 posts

QUOTE(scorgio @ Oct 5 2021, 08:38 PM)

I know about this, I just want to know if the manufacturer has put anything in the spec that identify the tube is single sided or double sided?
Maknusia
post Oct 6 2021, 10:25 AM

Enthusiast
933 posts

QUOTE(alexander3133 @ Oct 5 2021, 09:21 PM)
I know about this, I just want to know if the manufacturer has put anything in the spec that identify the tube is single sided or double sided?
refer to my post #273. Im using single ended, hence, i just pull out the started and plug the tube, thats about it.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4178568/+260#
idkihavenoidealol
post Oct 6 2021, 06:05 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

Sorry guys if I hijack this thread with LED T5 stuff.

I am planning to put LED T5 for light through plaster ceiling. It will be L-shaped, pointing towards the wall and rough estimate around 30ft which may need 7-8 pcs of 4ft LED T5.

So my question is, can all this 8 pcs of LED T5 connected to each other and 1 end to be connected to the light point wiring?

I saw some shop in shopee saying there is max connection of 4 - 6 pcs per point. When I asked one of the seller, he said need to do closing which I don't understand what he really means.
sgpdsmss
post Oct 7 2021, 08:10 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(scorgio @ Oct 5 2021, 08:38 PM)

single sided = all china tubes .

double sided = philip ecofit tube n others brand.

am i rite?

single sided cannot reverse meaning the tube will only light up in 1 direction depend on which side is L?

thanks ...
jackbanner
post Dec 18 2022, 06:19 PM

On my way
656 posts

Can I use a single sided led T8 to double end T8 casing?
stormer.lyn
post Dec 18 2022, 08:59 PM

Enthusiast
741 posts

QUOTE(jackbanner @ Dec 18 2022, 06:19 PM)
Can, with a bit of simple rewiring. There was another thread..... https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...#entry105803012
brutus
post Dec 19 2022, 10:07 AM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Oct 7 2021, 08:10 AM)
single sided = all china tubes .

double sided = philip ecofit tube n others brand.

am i rite?

single sided cannot reverse meaning the tube will only light up in 1 direction depend on which side is L?

thanks ...
It is the other way round.
China Tubes = Double Sided
Philips/OSRAM/GE = Single Sided

Single sided tubes can also be reversed if the wiring is done right.
brutus
post Dec 19 2022, 10:09 AM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(jackbanner @ Dec 18 2022, 06:19 PM)
Short answer, NO.
If you are a bit more DIY person, YES. Just need to add 1 wire to the double ended casing.

sgpdsmss
post Dec 19 2022, 10:16 AM

Regular
1,571 posts

QUOTE(brutus @ Dec 19 2022, 10:07 AM)
It is the other way round.
China Tubes = Double Sided
Philips/OSRAM/GE = Single Sided

Single sided tubes can also be reversed if the wiring is done right.
single sided i meant use only 1pin each end of the tube pin
china tube just need 1pin wire from left and right

double sided ...need use 2pins each end of the tube ...
philip ecofit ..1pin wire from left to right and 1more wire shorted from left and right ..

thanks ....
jackbanner
post Dec 19 2022, 10:37 AM

On my way
656 posts

Thank you very much

QUOTE(stormer.lyn @ Dec 18 2022, 08:59 PM)
Can, with a bit of simple rewiring. There was another thread..... https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...#entry105803012
brutus
post Dec 19 2022, 02:23 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 19 2022, 10:16 AM)
single sided i meant use only 1pin each end of the tube pin
china tube just need 1pin wire from left and right
double sided ...need use 2pins each end of the tube ...
philip ecofit ..1pin wire from left to right and 1more wire shorted from left and right ..

thanks ....
OIC. Usually in my line the single or double sided are referred to the T8 tubes itself and not the casing.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0915sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:40 PM