Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> T8 Fluorescent LED Tube Light replacement, Retrofitting LED tube to existing casing

views

Richard
post Jan 21 2017, 01:51 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(aeiou228 @ Jan 21 2017, 11:55 AM)
I actually replaced quite a few T8 LEDs using the existing fixtures. I re-wired to bypass ballast some of them but some times when I lazy to do the re-wire, I just removed the starter without ballast bypass.
I always have this doubt in mind that if I don't bypass the ballast, will the ballast consume electricity?
I hear various opinions, some said it will not, coz no starter and no fluorescent lamp, the ballast will not 'function' as it should and it merely acted as a conductor to let the current flow thru. Some said it will consume a tiny bit of wattage and the now you said it will consume 6 - 8 watts.
Let's summon sifu Richard and hear what's his opinion about this.
ahem.. sifu here.. (actually its master sifu since i have technical certificate..)

In a standard fluorescent fitting..

The ballast acts as inductor to limit the current and increases voltage (by the fluctuating magnetic field in its coil) so as to make the tube fluoresce via the starter (bimetallic contact)..

hmm..

anyway because it is an alternating current (sinusoidal voltage) there is a power factor where some heating happens within the inductor (ballast) which is the reason for the reactive power loss..

Hell .. I can't explain technical things in a simple way but if you run an ac current through a coil there will be some heating ..

This heat translates as a loss in efficiency of the load..

Edit * Of course in an LED where the current is in the mA it will be negligible thus you can leave it in circuit and it won't matter..

technically there will be some power loss but not in the magnitude of 6-8 Watts (milliwatts in direct proportional to the current) ..

This post has been edited by Richard: Jan 21 2017, 02:05 PM
Richard
post Jan 21 2017, 02:07 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 21 2017, 02:03 PM)
Thanks Richard for chipping in. Btw, the starter has no function after the tube is lighted in normal fluorescent tube. One can try and unplug the starter after the fluorescent tube lighted. it will continue to work. Therefore, the myth that once the starter is removed, the function of ballast is not needed is inaccurate. The moment the ballast is functioning, it consume small amount of electricity.

It is good to clear doubt as there is too many misinterpretation especially when seeking clarification from lighting shop.
yes..

Edit * the fluorescent needs the ballasts to work or it will burn out the filaments ends..

This post has been edited by Richard: Jan 21 2017, 02:11 PM
Richard
post Aug 17 2017, 08:59 PM

Regular
1,083 posts

QUOTE(more2teayap @ Jul 9 2017, 09:05 PM)
Today I tried replacing my old fluorescent with a philips ecofit, i change the existing starter to the philips EMP starter, then fit the tube in, works fine. later tonight when i switch it on, it blinks then it only glows with a very dim light.

Is there anything that I done wrong? I tried playing with the tube fitting and the starter fitting it seems that nothing works.. sad.gif
unscrew the starter?

Just realized i replied to a post 8 days ago.. lol..

This post has been edited by Richard: Aug 17 2017, 09:01 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0188sec    0.28    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:05 PM