Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Viofo A119 dashcam (Review)

blurjoey
post Nov 15 2017, 10:17 AM

Sumo Hammy!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(KIntos @ Nov 15 2017, 01:07 AM)
2 possible issue here. either the memory card failure or the firmware setting go haywire which you need to resolve by flashing back the firmware or updating it. btw what memory card you using? from my experience even sandisk high endurance will have unexpected issue on write/read on new card after couple of day using without formatting in the dashcam. After formatting the card in the dashcam, the problem no longer persist. Formatting helps clear the card of extraneous issues from standard use.

things that you can do to isolate the camera nor the memory card issue.

for isolating memory card
- format the card in the camera
- default the camera setting
- change to another recommended memory card. (u may refer to carcamcentral or dashcamtalk)

isolate camera
- default setting
- reflashing the firmware or updating the firmware. please default the setting once you fully flashed the firmware.
- you may want to format the memory card in the camera one more time before recording.
Usually, all dashcams recommend formatting the MicroSD card in the dashcam first before use.

A few friends had issues with their A119 (screen go haywire, not recording, etc) which got fixed by flashing firmware.

Also, if the A119's firmware version is V1.1 or earlier, please upgrade the loader first. Will have issues if didn't. Firmware V2.0 no need to upgrade the loader.

I think most know to avoid using Sandisk Ultra MicroSD cards in dashcams. Best to get better cards (if can get MLC chip cards is the best) like Samsung Evo Plus or those High Endurance cards by Sandisk or Transcend. But Lexar and Transcend cards are a bit out of reach due to price.

Lexar is slowly exiting the consumer market and most Lexar in the market are made in China whereas the best Lexar cards are made in Korea. Lexar OEM their cards to ThinkWare for their dashcam. Those are made in Korea.

woxife
post Nov 20 2017, 04:28 PM

Group: Newbie

i have been surveying dash cam for sometimes.. did you hotwire for the power source?
KIntos
post Nov 20 2017, 07:59 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(woxife @ Nov 20 2017, 04:28 PM)
i have been surveying dash cam for sometimes.. did you hotwire for the power source?
Depend the reason why u need to hardwire your dashcam? What is the main intention of hardwiring for u?

Usually ppl hardwire dashcam for parking mode/ motion detector/time lapse or 24 hours recording. If you no intention for the above said feature, better stay on the power outlet power draw. Hassle free and our weather is not really recommended to always recording under the hot sun.
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(woxife @ Nov 20 2017, 04:28 PM)
Actually, some people hardwire dashcams for the parking mode or just to power on when starting engine so that won't use up the accessory port. Depends on your requirements.

I got a friend testing the parking mode on the A119's v3.3 firmware. No issues for more a month now. He parks outside during the day.

But not all dashcams can work 24/7 parking mode like the DDPai Mini2. Tested parking mode for around 72 hours and the board burn due to its thin board design.

This post has been edited by blurjoey: Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Keatsan
post Yesterday, 10:16 AM

29OR11J1B4I

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 21 2017, 09:46 AM)
Actually, some people hardwire dashcams for the parking mode or just to power on when starting engine so that won't use up the accessory port. Depends on your requirements.

I got a friend testing the parking mode on the A119's v3.3 firmware. No issues for more a month now. He parks outside during the day.

But not all dashcams can work 24/7 parking mode like the DDPai Mini2. Tested parking mode for around 72 hours and the board burn due to its thin board design.
Wait wait wait.......if the A119s park for more than 72 hours, got chance to get the board burn !!!?? sweat.gif

And I think I could try out the 3.3 firmware also.
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Keatsan @ Nov 21 2017, 10:16 AM)
Wait wait wait.......if the A119s park for more than 72 hours, got chance to get the board burn !!!??  sweat.gif

And I think I could try out the 3.3 firmware also.
Friend still testing the A119 with parking mode haven't burn yet laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Keatsan
post Yesterday, 10:23 AM

29OR11J1B4I

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 21 2017, 10:19 AM)
Friend still testing the A119 with parking mode haven't burn yet laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
eh? the burn board is dpai mini2 or a119? A lil confuse. rclxub.gif
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 10:37 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Keatsan @ Nov 21 2017, 10:23 AM)
eh? the burn board is dpai mini2 or a119? A lil confuse.  rclxub.gif
DDPai Mini2 burn cause they use solder instead of ribbon to connect the board. So the heat was too intense till burn the solder.

This from local supplier for DDPai
Attached Image
Keatsan
post Yesterday, 10:43 AM

29OR11J1B4I

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 21 2017, 10:37 AM)
DDPai Mini2 burn cause they use solder instead of ribbon to connect the board. So the heat was too intense till burn the solder.

This from local supplier for DDPai
Attached Image
Oh mai gawd......that hurts....so much.....

The mini 0906 ... i hope it wont melt too under long recording. sweat.gif
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Keatsan @ Nov 21 2017, 10:43 AM)
Oh mai gawd......that hurts....so much.....

The mini 0906 ... i hope it wont melt too under long recording.  sweat.gif
Mini0906 I didn't test the parking mode as I don't have a microUSB hardwire kit laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

But tested 1+ months no issue parked outside in Cyberjaya everyday biggrin.gif
Keatsan
post Yesterday, 10:46 AM

29OR11J1B4I

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 21 2017, 10:45 AM)
Mini0906 I didn't test the parking mode as I don't have a microUSB hardwire kit laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

But tested 1+ months no issue parked outside in Cyberjaya everyday biggrin.gif
Glad to know A119s still surviving well. Btw, is the firmware 3.3 available to download ?

Any changelog ?
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Keatsan @ Nov 21 2017, 10:46 AM)
Glad to know A119s still surviving well. Btw, is the firmware 3.3 available to download ?

Any changelog ?
Got new firmware v3.4

http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions...camera-firmware

Change log:
1.Added: Finally fixed camera freezing while showing XXXXX on screen.

But no HDR sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by blurjoey: Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Keatsan
post Yesterday, 11:03 AM

29OR11J1B4I

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 21 2017, 10:57 AM)
Got new firmware v3.4

http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions...camera-firmware

Change log:
1.Added: Finally fixed camera freezing while showing XXXXX on screen.

But no HDR sweat.gif  sweat.gif  sweat.gif
Aihz....the specs inside A119 can easily go full HDR but firmware doesn't has the option. sadding
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Keatsan @ Nov 21 2017, 11:03 AM)
Aihz....the specs inside A119 can easily go full HDR but firmware doesn't has the option. sadding
They are still beta testing the HDR. Seems some testers got issues. Wait lo. Hardware all ready. Now is only software side.

Can't wait for it.

Left HDR enabled. Right HDR disabled.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Found the changelog for v3.3

Version 3.3 Released 08/16/17

Change log:

1. Added: Parking mode feature
2. Added: Lock the previous file while the ! button pressed in the begin of 15s of current file
3. Improved: Change the sound for taking screen shot when you press the menu button
4. Improved: One click to stop recording, mute/unmute while in screen saver mode
5. Improved: No embedded GPS info in movie when GPS feature is disabled
6. Fixed: Screen will no longer come on when in screen saver mode and in Parking/motion detection Mode

This post has been edited by blurjoey: Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Keatsan
post Yesterday, 11:54 AM

29OR11J1B4I

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Nov 21 2017, 11:36 AM)
They are still beta testing the HDR. Seems some testers got issues. Wait lo. Hardware all ready. Now is only software side.

Can't wait for it.

Left HDR enabled. Right HDR disabled.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Found the changelog for v3.3

Version 3.3 Released 08/16/17

Change log:

1. Added: Parking mode feature
2. Added: Lock the previous file while the ! button pressed in the begin of 15s of current file
3. Improved: Change the sound for taking screen shot when you press the menu button
4. Improved: One click to stop recording, mute/unmute while in screen saver mode
5. Improved: No embedded GPS info in movie when GPS feature is disabled
6. Fixed: Screen will no longer come on when in screen saver mode and in Parking/motion detection Mode
HDR!! My A119 IS READY !!!
blurjoey
post Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Keatsan @ Nov 21 2017, 11:54 AM)
HDR!! My A119 IS READY !!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

36 Pages « < 34 35 36Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version