Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Thread for Husband and Father, Lets share/discuss/info

views

talexeh
post Feb 3 2016, 05:47 PM

One man's meat is another man's poison.
2,965 posts

QUOTE(panda-man @ Feb 2 2016, 02:59 PM)
hallo. father of a 18 month boy checkin in.
congrats bro. level up!  thumbup.gif

----
now... what is there to discuss? i guess one worry i have now is speaking. so far my son is 18 months. but still cant really talk properly. he can make tons+tons of animal noises though. which is freakin hilarious... but for words just single syllable words. baba mama dada nana etc. cant seem to sound out two sounds like bana or maba or that type of thing. people say boys speak late. but its still a worry.  sweat.gif

when did your kids start stringing sounds together
My boy is now 2.5 years old & yea, same worry as you're having too. He's not speaking much but I do see some improvement the last few weeks. I had to force him to speak up when he wanted something or else I won't do it for him.

Me & my wife have been discussing if we should throw him into nursery ASAP so that he gets to mingle around with other kids.

Also been thinking of speech therapy for quite some time now but I guess I'll consider it seriously when he hits 3 & still lotsa baby talk. sweat.gif
TSMoonRider
post Feb 3 2016, 07:45 PM

It's Me That Sound Cute
2,296 posts

QUOTE(talexeh @ Feb 3 2016, 05:47 PM)
My boy is now 2.5 years old & yea, same worry as you're having too. He's not speaking much but I do see some improvement the last few weeks. I had to force him to speak up when he wanted something or else I won't do it for him.

Me & my wife have been discussing if we should throw him into nursery ASAP so that he gets to mingle around with other kids.

Also been thinking of speech therapy for quite some time now but I guess I'll consider it seriously when he hits 3 & still lotsa baby talk. sweat.gif
can he build sentence? i.e green ball? can he read abc or number? 3 yrs at nusery wont help much.. bytheway 3 yrs still early....

the most important when kids reach 3 .. is for them to response to u.. i.e u throw a ball in front of him.. his eyeball will follow the ball... or ask him to pick up things he undesrstand the command

This post has been edited by MoonRider: Feb 3 2016, 07:52 PM
talexeh
post Feb 3 2016, 09:23 PM

2,965 posts

QUOTE(MoonRider @ Feb 3 2016, 07:45 PM)
can he build sentence? i.e green ball?  can he read abc or number? 3 yrs at nusery wont help much..  bytheway 3 yrs still early....

the most important when kids reach 3 .. is for them to response to u.. i.e u throw a ball in front of him.. his eyeball will follow the ball... or ask him to pick up things he undesrstand the command
Fortunately, he can do all that you mentioned.

While I'm not exactly sure how much of what he said is considered as "build sentence", he can definitely relate an object with colour (blue car), he is capable of going through ABC-Z, 1-20'ish & he is able to comprehend my command. It's just that majority of stuffs coming out from his mouth are still baby-talk or a mixture of 70% baby talk, 30% comprehensible English.

I must also said that he is very stubborn or in better term, strong-willed. He will ignore me if he's doing something else & sometimes he's very moody (which is kinda like his mom) when interrupted. As such, a lot of time, me & my wife felt that he didn't have much eye contact with us which is 1 of the factors that got us worried. In fact, my worries of him being autistic is 1 of the few reasons why I kept rejecting my wife when she asked for a sibling for him. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by talexeh: Feb 3 2016, 09:25 PM
mi-g
post Feb 3 2016, 09:40 PM

Part-time Troll
1,482 posts

hi guys.. my son is 18mths now..

is it normal when he always wake up or cry at night asking for milk?

routine is like this

11pm - he start to sleep, around 20-30min he will sleep soundly

1am or 2am - his 1st cry for milk..he didn't actually wake up and open eye, just crying for milk

4am or 4.30am - he cry for milk again

6am to 7am - cry for milk again, this time need to put in cradle else he wont stop crying.. will sleep until 10am then wake up and bath

me myself no problem wake up at middle of night to make milk, but pity my wife coz when she wake up, quite hard to sleep again.. she's a nurse btw

my son now drink formula milk only since he's 12mths
panda-man
post Feb 3 2016, 11:38 PM

PSN: hutazi
2,687 posts

QUOTE(mi-g @ Feb 3 2016, 09:40 PM)

routine is like this

1am or 2am - his 1st cry for milk..he didn't actually wake up and open eye, just crying for milk

6am to 7am - cry for milk again, this time need to put in cradle else he wont stop crying.. will sleep until 10am then wake up and bath

me myself no problem wake up at middle of night to make milk, but pity my wife coz when she wake up, quite hard to sleep again.. she's a nurse btw

Can try train him off of that. We did it slowly. Unfortunately he still wakes up doh.gif but not for milk. Wake up give him a sip of water then he KO again. Still dunno why he gets so thirsty at night. Before sleeping around 10-11pm. He drinks 200ml milk AND 100ml water. Then can sleep.... strange. But easier than waking up, buat milk. Check milk. Blah blah hahah.
talexeh
post Feb 4 2016, 09:37 AM

2,965 posts

routine is like this

My boy had this issue before too. Pediatrician encouraged us to give him solid before sleep as he might get a little hungry if he only had milk prior to his bed time. You can give that a try.

However, in my case, it's kind of a season thing. There are weeks where he slept soundly throughout the night, weeks where he would wake up too early (like 5am) & weeks where he would wake up in the middle of the night for milk. I've gotten a bit used to it so no more complaints... unless my wife got woken up by the ruckus. sweat.gif
Newgen
post Feb 4 2016, 10:05 AM

Casual
354 posts

QUOTE(panda-man @ Feb 2 2016, 02:59 PM)

congrats bro. level up!  thumbup.gif

Thanks! flex.gif
Newgen
post Feb 4 2016, 10:06 AM

Casual
354 posts

QUOTE(MoonRider @ Feb 1 2016, 03:27 PM)
congrats ....
Thank you! rclxms.gif
tzychun79
post Feb 4 2016, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

QUOTE(panda-man @ Feb 3 2016, 06:01 PM)
congrats buddy. get ready for no sleep! heheh.
if deliver in private i hope it doesnt fall on CNY holiday. if not... $$$$$ hehehe. my son the day after hari raya holiday hahah. lucky....  sweat.gif
Hehe.. hopefully, EDD is end of March should be after CNY. Still can enjoy the festival.
low yat 82
post Feb 4 2016, 10:07 AM

tried to b vegan, but never success :P
4,042 posts

father of 2 here.

take it easy on kids. boy learns more slow than girls.

my boy another 3 months will hit 3years old but still cant speak properly. goin for kinder does help them to love read n learn. i enrolled my kids in qdees edp (early child development program)
TSMoonRider
post Feb 4 2016, 10:09 AM

It's Me That Sound Cute
2,296 posts

routine is like this

this is more routine issue..and why only sleep at 11pm so late..
before sleep big bottle milk ? probaly solid food not enough dring dinner

my kids will ready for bed at 8 to 8.30pm.. so after 9.30pm i got free time with my wife..

low yat 82
post Feb 4 2016, 10:11 AM

tried to b vegan, but never success :P
4,042 posts

routine is like this

how many u gib 1 time? d wakeup period has same pattern like infant...every 2-3 hours..
Newgen
post Feb 4 2016, 10:12 AM

Casual
354 posts

My son is hitting 3yo this July, but he's been in kindergarden/day care since beginning of the year. We all struggled (My son, wife and me) and it was a horrible experience. For the first 2 weeks he was crying all day and night saying "I don't want", not willing to go to school and all. Got to know from the teachers that he's not used to the new environment and there were many other kids there which he's not familiar with.
But when me and wife checked with the teachers again this week, he's doing great at school, learning to scrible and play bricks with the kids... And I heard from wife that, the teachers noticed girls like to hang out with him, like all of the girls from the whole school... shocking.gif shakehead.gif sweat.gif
Now that really give me mix feelings... hahaha...
But I'm really glad he can mingle around well now at school.
Only problem is, he still has his morning crankiness which refuse to eat and "can't wake up" kind of attitude.
TSMoonRider
post Feb 4 2016, 10:17 AM

It's Me That Sound Cute
2,296 posts

QUOTE(talexeh @ Feb 3 2016, 09:23 PM)
Fortunately, he can do all that you mentioned.

While I'm not exactly sure how much of what he said is considered as "build sentence", he can definitely relate an object with colour (blue car), he is capable of going through ABC-Z, 1-20'ish & he is able to comprehend my command. It's just that majority of stuffs coming out from his mouth are still baby-talk or a mixture of 70% baby talk, 30% comprehensible English.

I must also said that he is very stubborn or in better term, strong-willed. He will ignore me if he's doing something else & sometimes he's very moody (which is kinda like his mom) when interrupted. As such, a lot of time, me & my wife felt that he didn't have much eye contact with us which is 1 of the factors that got us worried. In fact, my worries of him being autistic is 1 of the few reasons why I kept rejecting my wife when she asked for a sibling for him. sweat.gif
hard to check on autism.. there is center in gleangles u may want to find out..

please note sometimes kids having ability of speaking is due to hearing.. so first thing is to ensure ur toddlers has been going throgh the hearing test.. if hearing test pass..then u just need to monitor.. one of my son having issue pronounce the f and s sound.. so we do teach him and pratice in front of mirror..is more on how ur mouth n tongue position.. after 2-3 months ok..

talexeh
post Feb 4 2016, 11:11 AM

2,965 posts

QUOTE(MoonRider @ Feb 4 2016, 10:17 AM)
hard to check on autism.. there is center in gleangles u may want to find out..

please note sometimes kids having ability of speaking is due to hearing.. so first thing is to ensure ur toddlers has been going throgh the hearing test.. if hearing test pass..then u just need to monitor..  one of my son having issue pronounce the f and s sound.. so we do teach him and pratice in front of mirror..is more on how ur mouth n tongue position.. after 2-3 months ok..
Glenagles Penang? I'm from Penang & TBH, I'm not very fond of the child development psychologist that's stationed in Glenagles Penang. Pretty sure he's hearing is OK but I'll monitor.

Sigh... being a parent is no fun with so many things to worry about. sad.gif
SPuNx
post Feb 4 2016, 11:13 AM

Getting Started
272 posts

Reporting for duty, father of 3. My youngest is 8 days old going to get out of the hospital soon. Checked in the night for jaundice.
talexeh
post Feb 4 2016, 11:13 AM

2,965 posts

QUOTE(MoonRider @ Feb 4 2016, 10:09 AM)
my kids will ready for bed at 8 to 8.30pm.. so after 9.30pm i got free time with my wife..
I kinda envious that you still have time with your wife. My wife sometimes sleep before my boy. She's easily tired after work & I've talked to her about it but alas, nothing has changed. sweat.gif
boyz
post Feb 4 2016, 11:27 AM

Your Humble Vaudevillian
1,519 posts

Father of 1 boy here, having concerns of my 11 month old as he sleeps late like 12ish. Not sure if its a concern or not to his growth. he is fully breast fed and solids in the day.

Any ideas to tune his clock to sleep earlier?
kherel77
post Feb 4 2016, 11:40 AM

Noobie
1,435 posts

Bit late congrats from me for this thread. rclxms.gif
Father of 4 (1 girl + 3 boyz) reporting in... sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif
abubin
post Feb 4 2016, 11:57 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

i have a son with high level autism. It's ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. Let me know if any father have questions.

There is another thread on autism but not one seems to be interested to contribute. In fact according the austism educators a lot of parents are still denial about their kids having autism. A lot of autism are mild and the child will look normal but they have temper issue and speech issue which the parent do not want to seek help. They keep denying their kids having problem and afraid that their child get labelled as "crazy" or "nuts".

Plus a lot of old folks (the grandparents) who knows nothing about autism simple says things. They just get info from other grandparents and say the child is ok, no problem..the issue will "go away" when the child grow up. By the time they grow up as teen, it will be too late to seek help.

Autism never go away. It can be intervened. The child will be taught how to handle his/her issue but there is NO CURE for it.

65 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0202sec    0.66    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:09 PM