Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Australia V2, All About working in Australia

views

Garysydney
post May 31 2021, 10:57 AM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(Rand @ May 31 2021, 08:59 AM)
Did you get your vaccinations before leaving Australia?

The situation in Malaysia is quite concerning now, especially in Klang Valley.
My wife is very much against using the vaccine - i was initially thinking about getting the vaccine before i come back but my wife is adamant she will not want to have the needle. I just go along with my wife's decision since it is more her decision to come back to Msia than mine. She just wants to be close to her younger sister in KL (sometimes i feel my wife lives for her sister who is two years younger than her). If it is not for her sister, we may not have come back to Msia to live.

Anyway, we will see how living in KL turns out - we may not like it after some time and may head back to Sydney to live. Looks like being in KL at this time may not have been the best timing but well, now we will just have to stay at home all the time and wait it out - i suspect it will be a long wait smile.gif

This post has been edited by Garysydney: May 31 2021, 10:58 AM
Red_rustyjelly
post May 31 2021, 10:58 AM

Enthusiast
846 posts

QUOTE(Rand @ May 31 2021, 08:59 AM)
Did you get your vaccinations before leaving Australia?

The situation in Malaysia is quite concerning now, especially in Klang Valley.
Correction: It was concerning Since Sabah Election. biggrin.gif
limeuu
post May 31 2021, 11:27 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ May 31 2021, 10:57 AM)
My wife is very much against using the vaccine - i was initially thinking about getting the vaccine before i come back but my wife is adamant she will not want to have the needle. I just go along with my wife's decision since it is more her decision to come back to Msia than mine. She just wants to be close to her younger sister in KL (sometimes i feel my wife lives for her sister who is two years younger than her). If it is not for her sister, we may not have come back to Msia to live.

Anyway, we will see how living in KL turns out - we may not like it after some time and may head back to Sydney to live. Looks like being in KL at this time may not have been the best timing but well, now we will just have to stay at home all the time and wait it out - i suspect it will be a long wait  smile.gif
So you have not registered for vaccination with the MySejahtera App?

One of the reasons Malaysians don't like to "stay at home" is similar to Singapore: home usually means a very small space. So public spaces represent an extension of home, to enjoy aircon(climate) and space. Aussies can enjoy both at home sitting on their garden/deck/patio.
Garysydney
post May 31 2021, 11:43 AM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 31 2021, 11:27 AM)
So you have not registered for vaccination with the MySejahtera App?

One of the reasons Malaysians don't like to "stay at home" is similar to Singapore: home usually means a very small space. So public spaces represent an extension of home, to enjoy aircon(climate) and space. Aussies can enjoy both at home sitting on their garden/deck/patio.
All my friends and relatives in Sydney tend not to go out much and usually stay at home a lot even before Covid days. Malaysian visitors would visit us and tells us our lives in Aust are boring!! But that is the culture in Australia. I have lived in Sydney since 1981 and this is the type of lives (quiet) we lead over there. When i come back to Msia for my holidays, people here are all the time busy going out which is totally different to the type of lives that Aussies live.

I am quite okay with staying home all the time because i have been doing very much that in Sydney. Now it is getting cold in Sydney due to winter while it will be much warmer here in KL which is what i like. I kind of enjoy being back in KL now even though the Covid cases are high - money wise my wife and i are very comfortable. All our relatives in KL are happy we are back but we will not be seeing them any time soon smile.gif . Got to be a bit careful so we don't want to see anyone yet for at least a couple of months.
Rand
post May 31 2021, 12:00 PM

Casual
319 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ May 31 2021, 11:43 AM)
All my friends and relatives in Sydney tend not to go out much and usually stay at home a lot even before Covid days. Malaysian visitors would visit us and tells us our lives in Aust are boring!! But that is the culture in Australia. I have lived in Sydney since 1981 and this is the type of lives (quiet) we lead over there. When i come back to Msia for my holidays, people here are all the time busy going out which is totally different to the type of lives that Aussies live.

I am quite okay with staying home all the time because i have been doing very much that in Sydney. Now it is getting cold in Sydney due to winter while it will be much warmer here in KL which is what i like. I kind of enjoy being back in KL now even though the Covid cases are high - money wise my wife and i are very comfortable. All our relatives in KL are happy we are back but we will not be seeing them any time soon  smile.gif . Got to be a bit careful so we don't want to see anyone yet for at least a couple of months.
Take care then.. I am not convinced that skipping the vaccine is a good idea; but I'm not the boss of you.

It doesn't look like COVID is going anywhere, so you'll have to hope that there are enough vaccinated people for some sort of herd immunity to occur.

I say it's becoming concerning to me only just now because I have had a family friend pass away from COVID recently. It's hitting closer to home now, not just a random number anymore.
limeuu
post May 31 2021, 12:35 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

Everybody, get vaccinated. Full stop. Covid will not go away. Vaccines convert it into a mild cold. Otherwise it can kill you, just like Influenza.
Garysydney
post May 31 2021, 01:51 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 31 2021, 12:35 PM)
Everybody, get vaccinated. Full stop. Covid will not go away. Vaccines convert it into a mild cold. Otherwise it can kill you, just like Influenza.
Inclined to agree with you. However it looks like the rollout of the vaccine in Msia is quite haphazard. I don't think my wife will agree with me to get vaccinated smile.gif
limeuu
post May 31 2021, 03:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ May 31 2021, 01:51 PM)
Inclined to agree with you. However it looks like the rollout of the vaccine in Msia is quite haphazard. I don't think my wife will agree with me to get vaccinated  smile.gif
I actually think Malaysia's is better than Australia's at the moment. Our problem is low supply the last 3 months, but will rapidly ramp up with supplies June and July (10 million sinovac, 2.2million Pfizer, 1 million AZ).

Australia bet big on AZ, their UQ vaccine failed, and they ended up with no back up when the AZ rare side effects appeared, and they are forced to restrict it to above 50's....they don't have enough Pfizer at the moment to start any kind of mass vaccination of younger than 50s...plenty of AZ that cannot be used...and many over 50s hesitant, like your wife...
Garysydney
post May 31 2021, 04:18 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 31 2021, 03:06 PM)
I actually think Malaysia's is better than Australia's at the moment. Our problem is low supply the last 3 months, but will rapidly ramp up with supplies June and July (10 million sinovac, 2.2million Pfizer, 1 million AZ).

Australia bet big on AZ, their UQ vaccine failed, and they ended up with no back up when the AZ rare side effects appeared, and they are forced to restrict it to above 50's....they don't have enough Pfizer at the moment to start any kind of mass vaccination of younger than 50s...plenty of AZ that cannot be used...and many over 50s hesitant, like your wife...
Most of my retiree friends in Sydney are delaying their vaccine jab. Only our 83-year old doctor friend is going ahead with his jab. Due to Sydney being so 'clean', we tend to get quite complacent with not taking the vaccine. My group of friends are just taking the winter flu jab for the time being but not AZ yet because they are still worried about the blood-clot issue. Our GPs in Sydney are all telling us to wait until end of this year where Pfizer might possibly be available to the over-50s.
limeuu
post May 31 2021, 07:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ May 31 2021, 04:18 PM)
Most of my retiree friends in Sydney are delaying their vaccine jab. Only our 83-year old doctor friend is going ahead with his jab. Due to Sydney being so 'clean', we tend to get quite complacent with not taking the vaccine. My group of friends are just taking the winter flu jab for the time being but not AZ yet because they are still worried about the blood-clot issue. Our GPs in Sydney are all telling us to wait until end of this year where Pfizer might possibly be available to the over-50s.
They will likely not have the luxury of waiting till end of the year. I foresee it will spread quickly through the susceptible unimmunised population soon. The seed is already in Melbourne, the new highly infectious Indian variant.

Just like Taiwan.
Garysydney
post Jun 1 2021, 03:50 AM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ May 31 2021, 07:06 PM)
They will likely not have the luxury of waiting till end of the year. I foresee it will spread quickly through the susceptible unimmunised population soon. The seed is already in Melbourne, the new highly infectious Indian variant.

Just like Taiwan.
The mood in Sydney is still filled with optimism. People there are more afraid of getting the winter flu than Covid. Without a furious outbreak in NSW, i suspect Sydneysiders will wait until Pfizer is more readily available. Property prices are shooting up strongly as well as local stock prices due to this optimism. When and whether this optimism will fade will be interesting to observe in the next few months smile.gif
limeuu
post Jun 1 2021, 09:46 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

complacency. they will regret not taking advantage of this window of opportunity.
Just like Victoria failed to vaccinate their aged care workers, and it's back into aged homes again.

And watching ABC live, they are talking about crazy house prices, and 1st home buyers dropped 5% (priced out) while "investment" buyers up 13%....

This post has been edited by limeuu: Jun 1 2021, 09:50 AM
Garysydney
post Jun 1 2021, 11:36 AM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Jun 1 2021, 09:46 AM)
complacency. they will regret not taking advantage of this window of opportunity.
Just like Victoria failed to vaccinate their aged care workers, and it's back into aged homes again.

And watching ABC live, they are talking about crazy house prices, and 1st home buyers dropped 5% (priced out) while "investment" buyers up 13%....
The govt has this philosophy that strong housing prices gives 'confidence' to people. Whether it is flawed policy or not, no one can really tell until later. At the moment, everyone in my retirement group is bragging to each other smile.gif that the house they live in has gone up A$500k and their retirement portfolio has also shot up A$290k in the last 6 months - what could be more rosy than that? Retirees are all smiling now (esp the self-funded retirees). Hopefully this dream can continue or could be sustained as everyone of us retirees are feeling good smile.gif
kagenn
post Jun 8 2021, 03:16 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Jun 1 2021, 11:36 AM)
The govt has this philosophy that strong housing prices gives 'confidence' to people. Whether it is flawed policy or not, no one can really tell until later. At the moment, everyone in my retirement group is bragging to each other  smile.gif  that the house they live in has gone up A$500k and their retirement portfolio has also shot up A$290k in the last 6 months - what could be more rosy than that? Retirees are all smiling now (esp the self-funded retirees). Hopefully this dream can continue or could be sustained as everyone of us retirees are feeling good  smile.gif
It's definitely great for those who already own properties or wealthy enough to buy more. Gonna be terrible for those who seek to own their first proper house like myself. Can't imagine having a chance to buy a property anywhere within the next 5 years.

Even Riverstone properties are expensive - probably only viable to buy around that area if we find jobs closer to those areas too. Either that or both myself/wife sell off redundant organs, haha.
limeuu
post Jun 8 2021, 03:43 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(kagenn @ Jun 8 2021, 03:16 PM)
It's definitely great for those who already own properties or wealthy enough to buy more. Gonna be terrible for those who seek to own their first proper house like myself. Can't imagine having a chance to buy a property anywhere within the next 5 years.

Even Riverstone properties are expensive - probably only viable to buy around that area if we find jobs closer to those areas too. Either that or both myself/wife sell off redundant organs, haha.
move to cheaper locations.
Garysydney
post Jun 8 2021, 04:15 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Jun 8 2021, 03:43 PM)
move to cheaper locations.
The only problem is nowhere is cheap in Sydney - unless you move to regional towns or interstate but where are you going to find jobs in regional towns?
limeuu
post Jun 8 2021, 05:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Jun 8 2021, 04:15 PM)
The only problem is nowhere is cheap in Sydney - unless you move to regional towns or interstate but where are you going to find jobs in regional towns?
Of the 3 main cities, Brisbane is still significantly cheaper. And relatively easy to find jobs as many companies have HQ or regional offices there. And pay scales not much lower than SYD/MEL.

I should add, the gap is closing, so it's like catching SYD/MEL 10-20 years ago. Another 20 years, and BNE will catch up with the big boys in cost.

This post has been edited by limeuu: Jun 8 2021, 05:11 PM
Garysydney
post Jun 8 2021, 05:27 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Jun 8 2021, 05:09 PM)
Of the 3 main cities, Brisbane is still significantly cheaper. And relatively easy to find jobs as many companies have HQ or regional offices there. And pay scales not much lower than SYD/MEL.

I should add, the gap is closing, so it's like catching SYD/MEL 10-20 years ago. Another 20 years, and BNE will catch up with the big boys in cost.
The only problem is wage increments is only between one and two percent - a bigger wage increment is required to sustain house price growth. At the moment borrowing costs for housing is so low and this is causing a lot of people to go crazy borrowing to buy residential properties (together with the other factor FOMO (fear of missing out)).

People who have not got onto the property market yet will find it even more harder now to get on.
Hansel
post Jun 10 2021, 03:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

I think fro our kids who intend to make Australia their home, FAMA suppport will have to come in for the first hse, and to pay down as large a downpayment as possible to help them start-off.
Hansel
post Jun 10 2021, 03:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(Garysydney @ Jun 8 2021, 05:27 PM)
The only problem is wage increments is only between one and two percent - a bigger wage increment is required to sustain house price growth. At the moment borrowing costs for housing is so low and this is causing a lot of people to go crazy borrowing to buy residential properties (together with the other factor FOMO (fear of missing out)).

People who have not got onto the property market yet will find it even more harder now to get on.
When the RBA decides the economy is heating-up and they need to ctrl this,... prbs will start because of rising interest rates.

262 Pages « < 244 245 246 247 248 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0280sec    0.57    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:02 PM