Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!! (Advice Wanted)

atyt1985
post Jul 24 2017, 03:11 PM
Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 24 2017, 01:46 PM)
It is not even a Triple Excellent to start-off. Perhaps you can share your budget with us?

Update:

Here are some diamonds I picked, ranked accordingly
J VS2
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp USD 579 (this one has crown angle 34.6 degree, therefore, theoretically, it has slightly lesser fire compared to the others listed here. However, this diamond has excellent scintillation and the cut is better than the second diamond slightly because it has lesser light obstruction which you can safely ignore. The Hearts & Arrows also may not be the best, but it is good enough. Nonethless, the ASET for this diamond looks more promising compared to the others because it does not have "light green" below the diamond's table. Overall, this is a pretty balanced diamond that is safe to buy.)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp USD 571 (this one has excellent scintillation as well, but I noticed that the  cut is not as good as the first diamond because there are some slightly bigger patch of "darkness" behind the arrows, which is probably caused by light obstruction.)

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp USD 546 (this one has excellent scintillation, but the IdealScope looks whiter than the others, meaning the light return is not as good as the others listed here. Light return can improve the overall look of the diamond because it can make it look whiter. If you like fiery diamond and don't mind the weaker light return, this diamond is a good buy)

J SI1
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp USD 510 (this diamond is an SI1 diamond, but to me, the cut is not bad, especially the arrows. The video does not impress me that much though, but based on IdealScope, this diamond looks promising enough. Although they may be weaker light return at the 6 o'clock position of the diamond and the ASET also show some "light green", below the diamond's table, but that is something quite minor in my opinion. If I were to rank this diamond against VS2 above, then it will probably be the 2nd pick).

Note: All are affiliate links, meaning I will earn some commission if you buy using these links.
Just wanted a loose diamond. Budget max RM4k? I wanted to get the best bang for buck.
I aiming for yellowish colour diamond which are slightly cheaper but that is ok because my ring setting will be gold
Fluorescence i heard faint and medium does not really affect much on yellowish diamond instead it will make it shine more brilliance. kindly correct me if i am wrong
Clarity wise , can go minimum SI 1? since its yellowish? Pinpoint or feather look might be not seen in the naked eyes?
Cut- Plan to put it on a solitaire ring so something proportionate that is showing the true carat size of the diamond
Carat- Well from the description above can i get at least 0.4 above?

This post has been edited by atyt1985: Jul 24 2017, 03:44 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Jul 24 2017, 04:11 PM

QUOTE(atyt1985 @ Jul 24 2017, 03:11 PM)
Just wanted a loose diamond. Budget RM4k? I wanted to get the best bang for buck.
I aiming for yellowish colour diamond which are slightly cheaper but that is ok because my ring setting will be gold
Fluorescence i heard faint and medium does not really affect much on yellowish diamond instead it will make it shine more brilliance. kindly correct me if i am wrong
Clarity wise , can go minimum SI 1? since its yellowish? Pinpoint or feather look might be not seen in the naked eyes?
Cut- Plan to put it on a solitaire ring so something proportionate that is showing the true carat size of the diamond
Question: Fluorescence i heard faint and medium does not really affect much on yellowish diamond instead it will make it shine more brilliance. kindly correct me if i am wrong
Answer: Source: http://beyond4cs.com/grading/fluorescence/...parency-issues/
Generally speaking, diamonds in the colorless category D-F have a greater chance of being hazy when coupled with medium or v/strong fluorescence.

Haziness issues usually arise when we move towards a spectrum of more intense blue fluorescence. With that said, don’t be afraid of buying diamonds with strong or very strong fluorescence. The point to take note is never to buy blind. Either have a trustworthy gemologist help you review the stone or physically see the diamond before laying down your cash.

Faint fluorescence usually doesn’t impact the diamond’s look in any manner. In higher color grades like D-F, there is usually no difference in appearance. In lower color grades, faint fluorescence won’t help you much in making the stone look ‘whiter’.

Another answer:
Source: http://niceice.com/diamond-fluorescence/
A faint yellow diamond with strong blue fluorescence often appears to be near colorless or white. We have seen diamonds graded as Q in color (very light yellow) that appeared to be white or bluish in daylight because they had strong blue fluorescence. Such diamonds are sometimes referred to as “premier diamonds” however keep in mind that a “label” is only as trustworthy as the person using it, so buyer beware.

My answer: So you see, one say one thing, the other say another thing. Personally, I am tend towards Todd Gray's (niceice) answer because I know him better than Paul Gian (beyond4cs). Anyway, I think we will need to evaluate case-by-case basis. But to be safe, why not buy diamond without fluorescence if possible? If you want to get the best value, then you can possibly visit Brian Gavin Diamonds and look at their Brian Gavin's Blue collection.

Question: Clarity wise , can go minimum SI 1? since its yellowish? Pinpoint or feather look might be not seen in the naked eyes?
Answer: Don't think colour will bring any difference for the clarity. In fact, great light return is able to mask off those inclusions. Pinpoint are small dots, but a lot of small dots group together can be obvious, so it is still important to find out more. As for feather, have to depends on the level of the crack. Overall, eye-clean is very subjective. You have to see what is the range of vision you are talking about. For the usual jeweler's eye-clean, we are probably talking about viewing the diamond from 6 inches to 10 inches away, with the diamond facing up. If you put the diamond right in front of your eyes real close, there is a good chance you may be able to find one or more inclusions. And yes, SI1 can be a good buy too if we can't see the inclusions in normal viewing angle (6 inches - 10 inches) away and not eagle eye on it. In fact, some can be very beautiful even up-close. We can always take a look at the actual diamond image to see things better because it is magnified. And if we can't find anything that looks too obvious, then to me, SI1 won't be too much of a problem. I will usually check with the seller before buying and see what is their opinion.

Suggestion: Then go for 4-prongs, which is relatively safe and can expose the diamond better than 6-prongs.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp
0.418 J VS2 USD 864
Exch Rate: 4.3450, so, it is RM 3754.08
Add on 6%, so it is RM 3979.32
For your size, add on around RM 20 for misc. charges. For example, shipment got charged GST even though it is free.
So final price will be around RM 3999.32
This diamond's arrows is slightly shorter at the upper half compared to the lower half position. However, its performance is excellent in all departments - light return, scintillation, fire. Based on the video, it seems to have slightly better scintillation than the I VS2 below, but slightly weaker fire. The hearts and arrows are comparable to the I VS2 below, if not slightly better (because they look clean). The ASET loses slightly to the I VS2 below, but I will ignore the minimal difference.

If you top up a little, you can probably go with this as well:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/r...id=myengringexp
0.403 I VS2 USD 926
Exch Rate: 4.3450, so, it is RM 4023.47
Add on 6% GST, so it is RM 4264.88
For your size, add on around RM 20 for misc. charges. For example, shipment got charged GST even though it is free.
So final price will be around RM 4284.88
This diamond's arrows are more balanced. The backside of the arrow at the 6 o'clock position is not that balanced between left side and right side but overall, it is still acceptable. Based on the video, it seems to have slightly better fire than the J VS2 above, but slightly weaker scintillation. Although the hearts & arrows are comparable to the J VS2 above, but you can see some tiny dots on the heart in the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock position, so I will say the J VS2 above wins a little. As for ASET, this diamond is better than J VS2 above. It has good contrast.

In this case, my pick will be the 0.418 J VS2 because it is still within near colourless range and it is a slightly bigger diamond too.

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 24 2017, 04:51 PM
+Quote Post
patrickthissen
post Jul 24 2017, 04:59 PM
Getting Started

Hello guys, I am planning to propose to my gf on Xmas during our dating anniversary plus our short trip biggrin.gif

So I need to do some homework now.
My budget is RM 3k - 5k for proposal ring. (No clue on diamond/gold etc rclxub.gif )
Anyone can kindly suggest me some shop name, so that I can go to physical shop and survey it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Jul 24 2017, 06:35 PM

QUOTE(patrickthissen @ Jul 24 2017, 04:59 PM)
Hello guys, I am planning to propose to my gf on Xmas during our dating anniversary plus our short trip  biggrin.gif

So I need to do some homework now.
My budget is RM 3k - 5k for proposal ring. (No clue on diamond/gold etc  rclxub.gif )
Anyone can kindly suggest me some shop name, so that I can go to physical shop and survey it.
For chain store, you may visit Wah Chan. Their price seems reasonable according to other guys' experience.

For non-mainstream store, you can visit Tailored Jewel (They provide money-back guarantee for 14 days), Eumayco, ZCOVA, iDo Jewellery (according to her she will provide images for her diamond).

The most important thing to look first will be the diamond's proportions.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
kwbaka
post Jul 25 2017, 11:36 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 18 2017, 02:39 PM)
planning to get one there bro?
well i changed my mind. going buy from my friend that open jewellery shop at penang.
gia certified shop.
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Jul 25 2017, 12:35 PM

QUOTE(kwbaka @ Jul 25 2017, 11:36 AM)
well i changed my mind. going buy from my friend that open jewellery shop at penang.
gia certified shop.
Oh? Private jeweller? Mind sharing the store name?
+Quote Post
patrickthissen
post Jul 25 2017, 04:55 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 24 2017, 06:35 PM)
For chain store, you may visit Wah Chan. Their price seems reasonable according to other guys' experience.

For non-mainstream store, you can visit Tailored Jewel (They provide money-back guarantee for 14 days), Eumayco, ZCOVA, iDo Jewellery (according to her she will provide images for her diamond).

The most important thing to look first will be the diamond's proportions.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the idea biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
I will visit Wah Chan physical shop for design/price/interaction experience.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Jul 25 2017, 05:02 PM

QUOTE(patrickthissen @ Jul 25 2017, 04:55 PM)
Thanks  a lot for the idea biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
I will visit Wah Chan physical shop for design/price/interaction experience.
have fun!
+Quote Post
kwbaka
post Jul 26 2017, 09:09 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 25 2017, 12:35 PM)
Oh? Private jeweller? Mind sharing the store name?
Vanessa diamond.
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Jul 26 2017, 09:56 AM

QUOTE(kwbaka @ Jul 26 2017, 09:09 AM)
Vanessa diamond.
Thanks for the introduction! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Hasunudie
post Jul 26 2017, 04:31 PM

Hear say Diamond & Platinum not bad?

Planning to get engagement ring and wedding bands.
Platinum is better than 18K WG?
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Jul 26 2017, 05:42 PM

QUOTE(Hasunudie @ Jul 26 2017, 04:31 PM)
Hear say Diamond & Platinum not bad?

Planning to get engagement ring and wedding bands.
Platinum is better than 18K WG?
The branch in Mid Valley seems quite friendly the last time I visited. But I just went in to survey ring setting. Btw, Diamond & Platinum belongs to DeGem.

Platinum is more expensive and heavier than 18k WG. It is also more scratch-resistant than WG. However, it is easier to bend overtime. Meaning after sometime (maybe years?), you may need to bring back to reshape it back to round.

WG on the other hand is easier to get scratches. However, it is not so easy to bend, so it will remain round over the years.

In terms of feel, platinum will give you a pretty solid feel compared to WG.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
+Quote Post
kwbaka
post Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 26 2017, 09:56 AM)
Thanks for the introduction! biggrin.gif
last night I discussed with my gf about wedding band.
turns out she was keen on cartier brand. amazingly expensive.
any thoughts on cartier?
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Yesterday, 12:07 PM

QUOTE(kwbaka @ Jul 27 2017, 11:38 AM)
last night I discussed with my gf about wedding band.
turns out she was keen on cartier brand. amazingly expensive.
any thoughts on cartier?
No experience with them before. But my guess is that their workmanship will be top-notch. You may want to try on the rings to see if it fits you comfortably. Sometimes the nice design may not be the best fit for comfort. Price wise - paying for brand, design, and workmanship. My friend has a pair of Tiffany and Co as wedding bands, which cost around RM 8000 or maybe more. Cartier should be more expensive I guess.

Personal opinion is that getting the wedding band is somehow more worth it than getting a diamond ring from there because the diamond is seriously mark-up given that it is probably just a GIA graded diamond which you can get from many places at a cheaper price. But... for the wedding bands/rings, I think they are more unique to Cartier alone, so it is more towards paying for design and workmanship.

Brands will keep most girls happy most of the time. So if your budget allows, why not. That is what I will do if I can. Most importantly, stick to your budget and capabilities.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Yesterday, 01:16 PM
+Quote Post
kwbaka
post Yesterday, 01:19 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(kambingkoh @ Jul 27 2017, 12:07 PM)
No experience with them before. But my guess is that their workmanship will be top-notch. You may want to try on the rings to see if it fits you comfortably. Sometimes the nice design may not be the best fit for comfort. Price wise - paying for brand, design, and workmanship. My friend has a pair of Tiffany and Co as wedding bands, which cost around RM 8000 or maybe more. Cartier should be more expensive I guess.

Personal opinion is that getting the wedding band is somehow more worth it than getting a diamond ring from there because the diamond is seriously mark-up given that it is probably just a GIA graded diamond which you can get from many places at a cheaper price. But... for the wedding bands/rings, I think they are more unique to Cartier alone, so it is more towards paying for design and workmanship.

Brands will keep most girls happy most of the time. So if your budget allows, why not. That is what I will do if I can. Most importantly, stick to your budget and capabilities.

Hope this helps.  smile.gif
thanks for your great advice.
actually is around my budget but have to do some research biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
kambingkoh
post Yesterday, 01:48 PM

QUOTE(kwbaka @ Jul 27 2017, 01:19 PM)
thanks for your great advice.
actually is around my budget but have to do some research  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
No problem. Good luck. nod.gif
+Quote Post

57 Pages « < 55 56 57Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0691sec    3.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 12:38 AM