Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

90 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!! (Advice Wanted)

views

kambingkoh
post Jun 16 2016, 01:52 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(tohff7 @ Jun 14 2016, 08:05 AM)
Anyone who bought from JannPaul and shipped to Malaysia, do you get charged by Malaysia customs for GST? Just wondering
Not sure about JannPaul. Just to share my experience, I bought a loose diamond from Whiteflash recently and got charged GST for:
1. The price of the diamond.
2. The freight value.
3. The insurance value.

In other words, even though shipment and insurance comes free, I still need to pay GST for the premium paid by the seller. Let's say seller paid RM 100 for the freight, then I need to pay RM 6 for GST. Same goes to the insurance value. The premium of the insurance is 10% of the price of the loose diamond. So let's say I paid RM 10000 for the loose diamond, then the insurance premium will be 1% of it, which is RM 100, and I need to pay 6% GST for the RM 100 insurance, which is RM 6.

So:

RM 10000 for diamond.
RM 600 for GST on diamond.
RM 6 for GST on freight.
RM 6 for GST on insurance.

Total Payable is RM 10612.

My item is shipped via FEDEX from USA. So they will pay the GST on my behalf first, and when they deliver, I will need to pay them the EXACT amount in CASH. So do prepare the necessary money first when it is being delivered.

On a side note, if you ask me why I buy from there? Because personally, I feel that I can get a better deal and gain more insights to the diamond I paying for. So far, I don't see any stores in Malaysia that can provide IdealScope & ASET images. I only get the loos diamond, the setting is done by a local jeweler known as Tailored Jewel. They will cast the setting in Hong Kong.

For Jann Paul, it seems they can also provide you those IdealScope & ASET images. They do take in some branded ring setting, as well as their own brand setting. From their YouTube channel, the guy mentioned that their ring setting are also made in Hong Kong. Overall, they are pretty famous.

Anyway, you can try asking your question on their Facebook fan page. Maybe some fellow Malaysians are able to help out.

Good luck!

Update 5 September 2016: Insurance premium of product is actually 1%. Sorry for the miscalculation. blush.gif

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Sep 5 2016, 09:44 PM
kambingkoh
post Jul 6 2016, 02:13 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(AcE*89 @ Jun 27 2016, 02:33 PM)
Did you get their ACA diamond? mind to share how was the quality of it?
Yes. I did. A 0.53ct F-Color VS2. The diamond is just like the way they display it on their website. Those are real pictures of them. The hearts and arrows are great. They provided me a H&A scope for viewing, I can see the reflections of my inclusions as tiny black spots on it, just as what they show on their website as well, anyway, it is okay, because those inclusions are not visible with naked eye. I bought F color, so i can see a tiny bit of yellowish, when look real closely (or maybe i am just picky), or compare to an E color. I view my diamond under normal lighting condition and it looks nice as well, unlike some other diamond i saw, which look duller in appearance. Overall, I am very satisfy with my purchase. Similar specs outside the market will cost me few thousands more. Together with a diamond case/setting, the price can be from 14K+ to 20K+, depending on shop, but for my one, it is less than 11K, with setting. Cartier will similar specs might cost a whopping 8,000USD, based one what I read.

WhiteFlash customer service is excellent. Their CEO will also personally picked up any messages you sent them sometimes. If you have trouble selecting a diamond, their gemologist will also help you out. For my case, I provided them with a few choices, there is an E color that cost more, but ultimately the gemologist picked a cheaper one, which is my F color, so I guess they are not that bias and quite fair. Also, you can request for a Cherry Wood Box (I don't see such box in Malaysia so far) for your ring, even you purchase a loose diamond. Usually purchasing a loose diamond will only come with a loose diamond box, but I have requested a Cherry Wood Box for my ring from them, and they gladly put it in. However, they missed out during the first shipment, so they send me the box alone via another shipment via FEDEX and they bear the USD 75 cost themselves! ACA diamonds will come with a free H&A scope.

First time customer will get 25USD off for purchase of 2,000 USD or above. Transfer by TT will save you another 3%. I used M2U TT service, which only cost me RM10 for transaction. The exchange rate is based on the bank's TT selling rate. So, if you manage to purchase it during a lower rate, you save even more. So good luck!

Just remember that the most important thing of the 4Cs is the CUT. Few shops I went said that they all have perfect cut, and some even show me the Arrows, which I can clearly see that it is symmetrical via the H&A scope. However, since most of the diamonds we see in shops are already mounted, we are unable to determine the hearts. The hearts can be bad. There is one shop that shows me a loose diamond with perfect arrows, but no matter how i tilt to view the hearts at the bottom for the diamond, it does not meet the standard, but the shop will insist it is perfect hearts and arrows.

I am no expert so I rely on online diamond enthusiasts to help me choose. Many emails between me and Paul Gian from Beyond4cs.com. After purchase, I even asked Todd Gray from Niceice.com to take a look at my diamond based on the data on WhiteFlash website, and he rated my diamond a A-, which I think is quite acceptable for me. smile.gif

Alternatively, you can buy from Brian Gavin. You can email Todd and ask him to cherry pick your diamond for you, I think he affiliates with http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/, maybe you can ask him for discount voucher as well. He spoke highly of Brian Gavin diamonds, but please do your due diligence before making any purchase. smile.gif FYI, Brian Gavin is one of the founders of WhiteFlash, and he even created ACA diamonds. After that they went separate ways.

One last thing, most of the diamonds from WhiteFlash are graded by AGS lab, which is compatible with GIA lab (some even said AGS is better).

Good luck and have fun with your purchase!
smile.gif

You can also refer to my blog for some images of the stones i got. wink.gif
http://myengagementringexperience.blogspot.my/

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Jul 7 2016, 01:59 AM
kambingkoh
post Jul 11 2016, 12:16 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(AcE*89 @ Jul 9 2016, 05:16 PM)
Thanks for the informative reply! Your ACA diamond looks good. You really did a very deep research on diamonds.

Why no pictures of your diamond on your custom settings?  brows.gif

And finally, congratulation on your proposal!  thumbup.gif
Thanks.

Because my custom ring is being fixed by Tailored Jewel after I have reported some defects. As far as workmanship is concerned, the 18k white gold sems good, but certain areas are so-so, especially the prongs, but this is afterall a handcraft thing, so i am hoping them to fix the problems I have reported. However, as far as trustworthiness is concerned, they will offer me full money back guarantee if failed to meet my expectation, so I am cool with it. I have reviewed them on my blog as well. Lets see how things go in the end.

But to be more objective, they have satisfied customer, so I can't they are no good, it's just my own opinion. Besides, other jewelers may not deliver 100% perfect because it is craftsmanship after all. Just need to make sure it meets your expectation and that will be fine. I find that SK jewellery's craftmanship seems okay. Maybe you can check them out. Fyi, SK jewellery and Love & Co belongs to the same company. wink.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 25 2016, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(bamkai @ Aug 24 2016, 04:30 PM)
Hi guys. May i know nett price diamond at poh kong and wah chan is really nett or still can nego with ?
As long as brick and mortar stores are concerned, the price listed on the label are usually not the final price. My colleagues said that Wah Chan's price are quite competitive. Anyway, I suggest you just drop by all the stores and take a look, no harm knowing more.
kambingkoh
post Aug 26 2016, 03:20 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(glauncher @ Aug 26 2016, 02:28 PM)
Wow I didn't know that...I bought a few without asking for discount... shocking.gif
No worries. You can afford to buy a few meaning you are not poor. Keep the discount for the poor ones like me. tongue.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 26 2016, 03:29 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 26 2016, 12:46 AM)
I was wondering if the diamond HCA score is it really matter? I found one which has a score of 1.9
HCA is only used as a diamond rejection tool, not selection tool. Some jeweller will tell you it is not relevant anymore, but then, I will still use it as rejection tool. The reason why it cannot be used as selection is that it only take into account 17 facets out of 57 facets, according to: http://www.goodoldgold.com/consumers-guide-hca

As a general rule, you have to reject diamonds that fall below a score of 2. Read here: http://beyond4cs.com/shapes/round/hca-scores/

Also, it is only applicable for round brilliant cut, aka the traditional 57 facets diamond. So any extra facets or fancy cut shape probably can't use it.

Once you done calculating the score, you still have to look into the hearts and arrows and light performance, where most local shops won't be able to provide. So, that's the reason I opt to buy online at WhiteFlash instead of local stores. You can read about it here: http://myengagementringexperience.blogspot.my/. smile.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 26 2016, 03:42 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 26 2016, 03:41 PM)
Aha, lucky the one I picked averaging 1.9~2.4. Guess I need to pay the showroom another visit to view the actual diamond.
gogogo! icon_idea.gif And you probably should rethink again if the HCA score is above 2.0... just corrected by Pikachu. lol.

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Aug 26 2016, 04:06 PM
kambingkoh
post Aug 26 2016, 04:06 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(pikachu01 @ Aug 26 2016, 03:56 PM)
It should be above 2, not below 2. 0-2 is Excellent.
Aiks, thanks for the correction! biggrin.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 26 2016, 04:34 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 26 2016, 04:24 PM)
Ya, but so far only JannPaul emphasize the importance for HCA score, others said it's not that important. Don't know who to trust laugh.gif
JannPaul is good. They will educate their customers well. They will even show you the IdealScope, Hearts & Arrows, Light Performance, etc. They have a series of Youtube videos you may want to check it out. Too bad they are only in Singapore.

As long as you encounter someone that says "cut is not important", "triple excellent is good enough", i think you can walk away. There is always a reason why a similar specs diamond is priced differently than the other... and such scenario may occur even in the same jeweller.
kambingkoh
post Aug 26 2016, 04:54 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 26 2016, 04:46 PM)
Yea, been to Jann Paul 5 times already but the price is slightly higher compared to Michael Trio. So most probably she'll opt for the latter choice.

Since I knew of custom jeweler, I never went looking at ring with brands already laugh.gif
Since I knew of custom jeweler, I never went looking at ring with brands already laugh.gif +1 rclxms.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 29 2016, 10:43 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 27 2016, 09:57 PM)
HCA 1.4, around SGD4876 inclusive 7% gst

But of course I will get slight discount from them and also gst refund. Estimate total with setting around SGD6k

Managed to find another similar diamond with similar score. But the heart and arrow looks weird - Link
That is a failed H&A! bye.gif

Congrats on your other purchase btw. rclxms.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 29 2016, 10:56 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 29 2016, 10:52 PM)
Yea, 3EX with HCA 1.4 but the H&A is most important.

I'm yet to receive my purchased diamond H&A. Cross finger that it is Signature Ideal as they advertised nod.gif
Oh? What did they show you then? You are talking about Jann Paul, right?
kambingkoh
post Aug 30 2016, 09:40 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 29 2016, 11:41 PM)
Michael Trio. Not sure why the diamond is at HK, apparently they said the HK people buy good HCA diamond
It is normal for the diamond to be elsewhere, probably with the supplier. In your case, HK. The store usually won't pile up their inventory with a lot of stocks. Even if you buy in Malaysia or from any other countries, it should work the same way. Unless the diamond is a signature cut that belongs to the store, then maybe they will have it with them. I can't say that I am 100% correct, but this should be how retail business works, for instance, if you want to buy a particular sofa from a furniture shop, they will need to order from the factory itself. I know a jeweller in Malaysia call Tailored Jewel also take in stock from HK.

Another interesting fact is that different jewellers may connect to the same supplier. So store A, store B, store C can help you buy the same diamond, as long as they are connected to the same supplier. Same like furniture shop A, B, or C can help you buy the same sofa, as long as it is from the same factory.
kambingkoh
post Aug 31 2016, 11:11 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 30 2016, 03:44 PM)
I see, hopefully mine will turn out fine or else need to find other diamonds already
So how did it go? unsure.gif
kambingkoh
post Aug 31 2016, 11:23 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 31 2016, 12:53 PM)
HK warehouse sold it already, I need to find another one mad.gif
While you are searching for another piece, you can try to take a look at WhiteFlash and BrianGavin for comparison. The clarity and colour may not be what you want but still worth to take a look. My personal experience with WhiteFlash was pretty nice. Did not try BrianGavin though, but Brian Gavin used to work for WhiteFlash. Both ship to Malaysia. And of course, we will need to pay for GST, so need to take it into account as well. Both companies use AGS cert (mostly I guess).

WhiteFlash
0.62 ct F VS1 A CUT ABOVEĀ® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond
0.635 ct F VVS2 A CUT ABOVEĀ® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond

BrianGavin
0.617 D VS2 Hearts and Arrows Round

If you are in Singapore, you can try JamesAllen as well because they ship to Singapore, but not Malaysia. JamesAllen use GIA cert (mostly I guess). You can also use this for comparison if you wish to.
James Allen Search Result

This post has been edited by kambingkoh: Aug 31 2016, 11:25 PM
kambingkoh
post Sep 1 2016, 12:35 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Aug 31 2016, 11:53 PM)
Can't bro, already paid deposit but they didn't secure my diamond.
Haha, for your reference only. Don't worry. There are plenty of GIA certified diamonds out there. I am sure you will get yours soon. thumbsup.gif
kambingkoh
post Sep 1 2016, 01:28 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Sep 1 2016, 12:46 AM)
To find a good diamond is easy but to find a good diamond with good HCA score in that store is hard
Hmm, so limited choice for that store? blink.gif What are the other options they offer you now?
kambingkoh
post Sep 1 2016, 09:01 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(XiuKeong @ Sep 1 2016, 07:23 AM)
I'll give them time to find me a similar diamond to the one that I want, if not I will ask for refund most probably.
All the best! thumbup.gif
kambingkoh
post Sep 8 2016, 09:59 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(cyril85 @ Sep 5 2016, 08:00 PM)
hi, can I know any feedback from habib customer? I going to buy propose ring
after see so many shop (d&p, love co, pohkong, tomei, wah chan, goldheart and etc), i found habib price are most reasonable.
I just want to buy a normal diamond and a good design setting.
for setting habib is less than 1k and other are around 2-3k
HABIB? Buying Hearts on Fire (HoF)? brows.gif

As far as I know, if buy whole ring with diamond, the ring should be cheaper, and not something around 2-3k. Anyway, retailer can charge more to the diamond and make the ring setting look more affordable, and vice-versa, whereby the retailer charge more to the ring setting, and make the diamond look cheaper. I think both makes sense to me.

They usually have a separate costs for both, you can ask them about the individual item price, aka the ring setting and the diamond. Also, you can ask them about how heavy is the white gold setting in terms of grams. I have seen ring settings that is quite hollow at the back, meaning, it uses less gold, that's how some business try to save cost.

Another point to concern about is how many karat gold are you getting. Some jewellers these days offer 18K, 14K, 10K, 9K. Higher K more expensive.

And if you are getting, for example, 18K, it will have 75% as gold, 25% as others. Usually, quality ring setting will consist of Palladium, as far as White Gold is concerned. There can be some jewellers' 18K White Gold that DO NOT have Palladium.

If you don't mind, would like to know what is the market price like for HABIB's diamonds. Did not go into the shop before. thumbup.gif
kambingkoh
post Sep 22 2016, 04:19 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(Ben1009 @ Sep 19 2016, 04:48 PM)
Hai, may I know any recommended jewellery shop that can resize diamond platinum ring. What will the cost be to resize? Thanks
Can try Diamonds & Platinum. Should be able to do resize ba. But not sure how much will it cost. The original jeweller that sells you the ring is unable to provide such service? confused.gif

90 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2470sec    0.53    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 3rd July 2022 - 05:40 PM