Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

228 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advice Wanted [WTA] Proposal Ring & Wedding Bands, Please advice me!! Need Help!!

views

TSPPZ
post May 14 2014, 11:54 AM, updated 7y ago

Enthusiast
736 posts

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I want to propose to my gf later this year if i can find a suitable ring as soon as possible. All those preparation of the proposal also need some time. smile.gif

My budget for the proposal ring is around RM 10k. Maybe RM 2 - 3k for wedding bands. My gf is dying for Tiffany & Co and I take some time to think about it since a lot of choices out there that can offer me better ring despite the brand itself. Because i think wedding only once in a lifetime, i think should buy the best for her but if i can get better ring somewhere else then maybe i should reconsider.

I asked my friend last week in KL to help me to see some rings in Tiffany & Co and he told me that it is possible to buy a proposal ring for RM 10k with only 0.25 or 0.3 carat of diamond with Tiffany Setting. I not sure about the colour, cut, etc yet because i not there to see it. Maybe that kind of money can buy you 0.25 carat but low colour and cut which i not really sure yet. I will be going to KL this weekend and I will drop by to see the ring myself.

For the wedding bands, if i able to get Tiffany & Co for the proposal ring, i think to buy the wedding bands in other shops.

So what is your advice on this matter? Should i go for Tiffany & Co or other brand for the proposal ring and how about the wedding bands?

Thanks!

SUSTyler__Durden
post May 14 2014, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

Your wedding band and ring should be 5 times of your monthly salary.
Azurika
post May 14 2014, 03:10 PM

Power to Leverage
1,721 posts

QUOTE(Tyler__Durden @ May 14 2014, 12:29 PM)
Your wedding band and ring should be 5 times of your monthly salary.
Where or how did you get that figure ?
Like that have to look at 3 carat ring d sweat.gif

Well TS, my rule of thumb which I share and agree with my GF is, why buy something that might not have an appreciation value ? If its a 10k ring, imagine you using only 1k for the ring and 9k to further grow your wealth tongue.gif But hey, if the rock can appreciate over time, why not ? laugh.gif
TSPPZ
post May 14 2014, 03:14 PM

Enthusiast
736 posts

QUOTE(Azurika @ May 14 2014, 03:10 PM)
Like that have to look at 3 carat ring d  sweat.gif
Well TS, my rule of thumb which I share and agree with my GF is, why buy something that might not have an appreciation value ? If its a 10k ring, imagine you using only 1k for the ring and 9k to further grow your wealth  tongue.gif  But hey, if the rock can appreciate over time, why not ?  laugh.gif
haha.. i think the most important thing is that this wedding is a good and happy moment for both of us. Should i go for it? or got other choices?
Azurika
post May 14 2014, 03:29 PM

Power to Leverage
1,721 posts

QUOTE(PPZ @ May 14 2014, 03:14 PM)
haha.. i think the most important thing is that this wedding is a good and happy moment for both of us. Should i go for it? or got other choices?
IF you can afford it, without much of a worry in your financial area, then Ill say go for it. Dont be those idiots out there who because their GF wants, do not want to be looked at a cheapo or whatever the reason buys a damn expensive ring and went into financial crisis.
But remember, humans are greedy, once u get her a 10k ring, the next time you want to get her something, you better not disappoint her laugh.gif
TSPPZ
post May 14 2014, 03:38 PM

Enthusiast
736 posts

QUOTE(Azurika @ May 14 2014, 03:29 PM)
IF you can afford it, without much of a worry in your financial area, then Ill say go for it.  Dont be those idiots out there who because their GF wants, do not want to be looked at a cheapo or whatever the reason buys a damn expensive ring and went into financial crisis.
But remember, humans are greedy, once u get her a 10k ring, the next time you want to get her something, you better not disappoint her  laugh.gif
true but i want her to know that this wedding means a lot to me and i want to give my best to her. So hopefully next time she wont expect me too much la. haha
fuelsave
post May 22 2014, 12:26 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

anything any value as long as its affordable for u, if not most shops got 0% installment plan
xAmdx
post May 22 2014, 12:30 PM

Casual
485 posts

I bought my wedding ring at Tiffany store in SG airport because duty free. I think end of the day is your partner like the design or not, the others factors like the carat,color,clarity and stuff you can choose later depending on ur budget.
fkinmeng
post May 22 2014, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,179 posts

1st, learn more about diamond, it's not about the carat, it's about the cut.
sonerin
post May 22 2014, 08:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Seriously, I had only spend 1k for wedding ring + band. Seriously I don't know how important is a ring or your future finance. Of course if you have the money then go for it.
nevenchailj
post May 23 2014, 09:18 AM

Cyclist
554 posts

Well from my POV, Tiffany & Co. diamond rings are overrated. It's all because of the brand. Why don't go make a visit to SUEN in Bangsar (Used to be called The Carat Club) or DeGem in Bangsar. They have variety diamond ring collections with your budget. Maybe a 0.4c with nice 4C? Good luck in your hunt bro.
fkinmeng
post May 23 2014, 09:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,179 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ May 22 2014, 08:28 PM)
Seriously, I had only spend 1k for wedding ring + band. Seriously I don't know how important is a ring or your future finance. Of course if you have the money then go for it.
how many years ago was that? blink.gif
sonerin
post May 23 2014, 08:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

About 4 years ago.
happychai
post May 27 2014, 09:14 AM

Regular
1,867 posts

look around cartier or mont blanc?
those 2 are famous for wedding bands also
dynamic123
post May 30 2014, 09:32 AM

Casual
325 posts

QUOTE(Azurika @ May 14 2014, 03:10 PM)
Like that have to look at 3 carat ring d  sweat.gif
Well TS, my rule of thumb which I share and agree with my GF is, why buy something that might not have an appreciation value ? If its a 10k ring, imagine you using only 1k for the ring and 9k to further grow your wealth  tongue.gif  But hey, if the rock can appreciate over time, why not ?  laugh.gif
rclxms.gif

QUOTE(Azurika @ May 14 2014, 03:29 PM)
IF you can afford it, without much of a worry in your financial area, then Ill say go for it.  Dont be those idiots out there who because their GF wants, do not want to be looked at a cheapo or whatever the reason buys a damn expensive ring and went into financial crisis.
But remember, humans are greedy, once u get her a 10k ring, the next time you want to get her something, you better not disappoint her  laugh.gif
rclxms.gif

QUOTE(iluvlipstick @ May 28 2014, 05:55 PM)
for me, i prefer cartier
cartier really expensive lah. of cause nice lah HAHA
fuzzy
post Jun 5 2014, 06:21 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(PPZ @ May 14 2014, 11:54 AM)
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I want to propose to my gf later this year if i can find a suitable ring as soon as possible. All those preparation of the proposal also need some time. smile.gif

My budget for the proposal ring is around RM 10k. Maybe RM 2 - 3k for wedding bands. My gf is dying for Tiffany & Co and I take some time to think about it since a lot of choices out there that can offer me better ring despite the brand itself. Because i think wedding only once in a lifetime, i think should buy the best for her but if i can get better ring somewhere else then maybe i should reconsider.
You definitely can buy a better ring than Tiffany & Co. But what you mean by 'better' would be the issue. T&C doesn't pride itself in having the best numbers, rather a solid and established brand name. Some would consider a 0.5c from T&C is 'better' than a 1c from non-brand.

I asked my friend last week in KL to help me to see some rings in Tiffany & Co and he told me that it is possible to buy a proposal ring for RM 10k with only 0.25 or 0.3 carat of diamond with Tiffany Setting. I not sure about the colour, cut, etc yet because i not there to see it. Maybe that kind of money can buy you 0.25 carat but low colour and cut which i not really sure yet. I will be going to KL this weekend and I will drop by to see the ring myself.
He might be right, but 10k probably get you a lower end stone. I think the 0.4c, H, SI that they quoted me was around 13k.

So what is your advice on this matter? Should i go for Tiffany & Co or other brand for the proposal ring and how about the wedding bands?

Thanks!
You will find very different advice here. Some will call you stupid for buying in into the whole diamond hype, some will tell you that you can get something better at that price and others will tell you to get what your wife wants.

My advice, have a budget, stick to it and get something your future wife would love. If it is not a surprise, get her to go and look at it as well. If you are open to customisation, you can actually get a very decent rock + setting for that price you mentioned, stones that are on par with Lazare's.

I don't believe in diamonds, but my fiancee does. I got her something exactly what she loved. The joy in her face everytime she looks at it for me is worth what I paid. Obviously I could have bought a 1k diamond and spend the rest on something else, but what is the point if it means sacrificing her happiness? I can always earn money, it is nothing to me.

Just put it this way. A diamond ring will last you a marriage, which last perhaps around 30 years. If you spent 10k on a diamond ring that means you are spending less than RM1 a day. And for me, that is too cheap to pay for that happiness I see in her face smile.gif
joohui
post Jun 7 2014, 11:34 PM

3 posts

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

For the wedding bands, if i able to get Tiffany & Co for the proposal ring, i think to buy the wedding bands in other shops.

Thanks!
Bro, just get whatever your fiancee like. Never get her engagement ring that "you think" is best for her, the ladies' brain works slightly different as we know it.

Just go easy on the wedding band, coz you'll wear it everyday, frankly, very easy to lose it.
TSPPZ
post Jun 9 2014, 09:18 AM

Enthusiast
736 posts

QUOTE(fuzzy @ Jun 5 2014, 06:21 PM)
You definitely can buy a better ring than Tiffany & Co. But what you mean by 'better' would be the issue. T&C doesn't pride itself in having the best numbers, rather a solid and established brand name. Some would consider a 0.5c from T&C is 'better' than a 1c from non-brand.
He might be right, but 10k probably get you a lower end stone. I think the 0.4c, H, SI that they quoted me was around 13k.
You will find very different advice here. Some will call you stupid for buying in into the whole diamond hype, some will tell you that you can get something better at that price and others will tell you to get what your wife wants.

My advice, have a budget, stick to it and get something your future wife would love. If it is not a surprise, get her to go and look at it as well. If you are open to customisation, you can actually get a very decent rock + setting for that price you mentioned, stones that are on par with Lazare's.

I don't believe in diamonds,  but my fiancee does. I got her something exactly what she loved. The joy in her face everytime she looks at it for me is worth what I paid. Obviously I could have bought a 1k diamond and spend the rest on something else, but what is the point if it means sacrificing her happiness? I can always earn money, it is nothing to me.

Just put it this way. A diamond ring will last you a marriage, which last perhaps around 30 years. If you spent 10k on a diamond ring that means you are spending less than RM1 a day. And for me, that is too cheap to pay for that happiness I see in her face smile.gif
Thanks for your input! I think the best thing is that i get the ring which she likes. I maybe have limited budget and not able to give her the biggest carat ever but i think she will appreciate if i buy the ring she prefer.

QUOTE(joohui @ Jun 7 2014, 11:34 PM)
Bro, just get whatever your fiancee like. Never get her engagement ring that "you think" is best for her, the ladies' brain works slightly different as we know it.

Just go easy on the wedding band, coz you'll wear it everyday, frankly, very easy to lose it.
Thanks bro! Will get it soon but have to travel to kl to get it
ukiya
post Jun 10 2014, 10:14 PM

* Hardcore Adventurer *
1,079 posts

I m got my rings mostly from here:
SOS

You may customize it too. It always deliver to my friend in SG before it pass to me. It's worth every penny. And their diamond is certified by GIA normally.
And making a commitment to surprise my girl in changing new ring from time to time.

Aster66
post Jun 26 2014, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

just go for what your gf loves. the heart that you did notice her preference counts~
good luck and congrats in advance! wub.gif

This post has been edited by Aster66: Jun 26 2014, 10:06 PM

228 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.69    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:28 PM