Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Public Mutual v4, Public/PB series funds

views

felixmask
post Apr 3 2013, 02:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,354 posts

QUOTE(Kaka23 @ Apr 3 2013, 01:46 PM)
You got miss out 2012 rally or not? Though klci did not rally much la last yr compare other region market.
nod.gif Indeed. Especially PSEAF.
wongmunkeong
post Apr 3 2013, 02:00 PM

Barista FIRE
Group Icon
Elite
5,572 posts

QUOTE(Pink Spider @ Apr 3 2013, 01:49 PM)
The winner of 2012 has got to be US markets, Malaysia and Asia Ex-Japan did not go up much.
IMHO - winner was REITs, SG REITs to be specific tongue.gif
lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 02:25 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

Hi Sifus,

I wanna ask some calculation regarding dividend payout.

EG :

Units I have to fund PRSF(example) = 10,691.19 units (NAV = 0.6735)
dividend payout = RM520.81
Capital invested = RM7400

Does this means that I got earn by selling off PRSF?

felixmask
post Apr 3 2013, 02:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,354 posts

QUOTE(lazybump_nonsense @ Apr 3 2013, 02:25 PM)
Hi Sifus,

EG :

Is not dividend but distribution.
How you invest EPF or CASH ?
Do you opt to reinvest from distribution ?

lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 03:04 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

QUOTE(felixmask @ Apr 3 2013, 02:34 PM)
Is not dividend but distribution.
How you invest EPF or CASH ?
Do you opt to reinvest from distribution ?
yea sorry, it was distribution nod.gif

it was cash investment, nope I do not want to reinvest.
j.passing.by
post Apr 3 2013, 03:07 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(lazybump_nonsense @ Apr 3 2013, 02:25 PM)
Hi Sifus,

EG :

Regardless of whether there's distribution or not; the formula to calculate is:
Present value = units x nav price.

Profit = Invested Amount - Present Value.

Invested Amount is the total amount you paid; inclusive of any service charges.

So, 10691.19 units x nav 0.6735 = RM7200.52.

For the present value of the fund, actually no need to calculate; should applied for Public Mutual Online; log in and check the current status.

The updates in PMO is relatively fast; PRSF distribution on 31/March (announced last business day of the month on 29/March) should already have been updated with new units...

Lastly, the unit trust funds in Public Mutual are for long term; the high service charges going to kill you if you enter and exit regularly.

If you're smart and still able to beat the house and make profits with short term entries & exits, it is not worth the effort, since the effort could be applied elsewhere with bigger and more profitable gains.

When thinking unit trust funds, should be thinking passive savings. The bonus is having a "hobby" after retirement.

Cheers... Happy Investing.

lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 03:11 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Apr 3 2013, 03:07 PM)
Regardless of whether there's distribution or not; the formula to calculate is:
Present value = units x nav price.

Profit = Invested Amount - Present Value.

Invested Amount is the total amount you paid; inclusive of any service charges.
So, 10691.19 units x nav 0.6735 = RM7200.52.
For the present value of the fund, actually no need to calculate; should applied for Public Mutual Online; log in and check the current status.

The updates in PMO is relatively fast; PRSF distribution on 31/March (announced last business day of the month on 29/March) should already have been updated with new units...

Lastly, the unit trust funds in Public Mutual are for long term; the high service charges going to kill you if you enter and exit regularly.

If you're smart and still able to beat the house and make profits with short term entries & exits, it is not worth the effort, since the effort could be applied elsewhere with bigger and more profitable gains.

When thinking unit trust funds, should be thinking passive savings. The bonus is having a "hobby" after retirement.

Cheers... Happy Investing.
Thanks for the suggestion notworthy.gif I just wanna swap fund because previous agent didn't serve me well so i decide to switch fund but i dont want to lose money so i have to calculate when is the right time hmm.gif
j.passing.by
post Apr 3 2013, 03:57 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(lazybump_nonsense @ Apr 3 2013, 03:11 PM)
Thanks for the suggestion  notworthy.gif  I just wanna swap fund because previous agent didn't serve me well so i decide to switch fund but i dont want to lose money so i have to calculate when is the right time  hmm.gif
yeah, switch and sell are 2 different things...

To switch funds, a couple of factors to look into:
a) the cost effectiveness of switching, as there are switching fees.
b) your investment plan/strategy; ie. how much fresh investments regularly entered, how to allocate the percentage weightings into local equities, foreign equities, bond/money market funds.

The switching fees, I've wrote about in a previous post.

yeah, don't expect much from the agents; they are not financial advisers. Anyway, financial advisers would normally just advice what to invest, and how much to invest in each type of financial vehicle.

The crucial "timing", how can we tell for sure? We can only make guesses and speculate on the future.

Hence the reason for investing into mutual funds, and not directly in the stock market; and allow the fund managers to take over the control & management of our savings.

===================

And talking about timing and distributions, it has been repeated too many times already. Everybody, please get this right.

The funds here is not the same as a fixed price funds in PNB (ie. amanah saham bumi... etc. etc.) These PM funds (whether bonds, money market or equities) are variable price funds.

ALL THE FEES (WHETHER TRUSTEE OR MANAGEMENT) ARE ALREADY INCORPORATED INTO THE NAV PRICE DAILY.

Distributions DO NOT increase the value of the fund.

Time is Money.

If you're just waiting for the distribution to happen before switching; because you have WRONGLY thought that the distribution will allow you more gains, then you're wasting time.

If you're waiting for the financial year-end (and distribution), because you have intended to switch as you originally planned to do so after a certain period of holding the fund; then it is an acceptable purpose in mind.

Hope this is helpful...

SUSPink Spider
post Apr 3 2013, 04:06 PM

Formerly known as Prince_Hamsap
16,872 posts

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Apr 3 2013, 03:57 PM)
===================

And talking about timing and distributions, it has been repeated too many times already. Everybody, please get this right.

The funds here is not the same as a fixed price funds in PNB (ie. amanah saham bumi... etc. etc.) These PM funds (whether bonds, money market or equities) are variable price funds.

ALL THE FEES (WHETHER TRUSTEE OR MANAGEMENT) ARE ALREADY INCORPORATED INTO THE NAV PRICE DAILY.

Distributions DO NOT increase the value of the fund.

Time is Money.

If you're just waiting for the distribution to happen before switching; because you have WRONGLY thought that the distribution will allow you more gains, then you're wasting time.

If you're waiting for the financial year-end (and distribution), because you have intended to switch as you originally planned to do so after a certain period of holding the fund; then it is an acceptable purpose in mind.

Hope this is helpful...
U also know my frustration reading these laugh.gif

Let me contribute to PM thread...

2. The NAV price of the fund that I'm interested in is quite high now, should I stay away? Investment gurus always say "buy low, sell high"...
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

3. Common misconceptions about unit trust dividends/distributions:

(i) After dividend distribution, NAV price will go down, the fund will become cheaper.
(ii) A fund that declares dividends is better than a fund that does not, dividends are my profit, they make me richer.

(iii) Topping up my holdings after dividend distribution pulls down my cost per unit, lower cost = higher profit.

(iv) Distribution = Income
QUOTE(jerrymax @ Mar 25 2013, 10:51 PM)
Ok so after dividend distribution, you get some additional units and NAV drops. Then after few weeks if fund perform well then NAV increases to the point where it is back to the NAV before distribution. Doesnt it mean you gain some income from distribution?

QUOTE(jerrymax @ Mar 25 2013, 11:19 PM)
Then what's the point of dividend distribution since units and NAV price has negative correlation?

lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 04:50 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Apr 3 2013, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE(Pink Spider @ Apr 3 2013, 04:06 PM)
Reply from sifus out there are really useful, you guys changed my original thought of distribution notworthy.gif

one only earned when long run, means only NAV goes up one only can earn money from it? Please correct me if I am wrong biggrin.gif

So now, i want to ask, what's my decision now? Cut loss and switch to another fund under different agent? Or just let it be there until break-even point? Please advice me rclxub.gif

SUSPink Spider
post Apr 3 2013, 04:55 PM

Formerly known as Prince_Hamsap
16,872 posts

QUOTE(lazybump_nonsense @ Apr 3 2013, 04:50 PM)
Reply from sifus out there are really useful, you guys changed my original thought of distribution  notworthy.gif

one only earned when long run, means only NAV goes up one only can earn money from it? Please correct me if I am wrong biggrin.gif

So now, i want to ask, what's my decision now? Cut loss and switch to another fund under different agent? Or just let it be there until break-even point? Please advice me  rclxub.gif

DON'T THINK NAV, THINK VALUE vmad.gif

NAV x units held = value

If u are confident with the fund's management style and the potential of the markets that it invests in, keep. Otherwise, sell. Simple as that. I dunno anything about PM funds, I leave it to j.passing.by biggrin.gif
lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 05:03 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

QUOTE(Pink Spider @ Apr 3 2013, 04:55 PM)
DON'T THINK NAV, THINK VALUE vmad.gif

NAV x units held = value

If u are confident with the fund's management style and the potential of the markets that it invests in, keep. Otherwise, sell. Simple as that. I dunno anything about PM funds, I leave it to j.passing.by biggrin.gif
Yes sorry typo notworthy.gif ...should be value... brows.gif

I always follow Warren Buffet rules when investing :

Rules no1 : never lose money
Rules no2 : don't forget rule no1

rclxub.gif
MakNok
post Apr 3 2013, 05:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,673 posts

I switch out from PRSF and switch in to PIMMF today.
(Parliment bubar)
but gonna get hit 0.75%(transaction less than 90 days)

means RM1,381.41 deduction..

Betting that the market will go sideways or go down until almost election time.
Then come back and switch back in again.

lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 05:31 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

Yea heard that today's market drop dramatically, should I switch to PFSF from PRSF? Because different of different agents.
j.passing.by
post Apr 3 2013, 05:38 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

Another long story to share... (what is said here, should be left here... as a yank would say, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Some of the writings are nonsense; some I hope is good enough for a future book "How Not to Lose Money in Public Mutual... advises from an financial idiot to financial dummies". So please don't "steal" the material! tongue.gif )

I started on a 2nd portfolio last year. This time the strategy is "Always Pot Black". Meaning that as far as possible, be very conservative and the "investment" must always be in the black at all times.

The options available:
1) Cash or EPF investment.
EPF. Profited 2.5% before I even got started!

2) Public or PB series.
PB. Public series has many approved EPF funds; too much options = too much headache to choose.
PB series has only 4 approved funds (a 5th one just closed on 1/April.) rclxms.gif

PB Islamic Bond fund, PB Islamic Cash Management fund, PB Islamic Equity fund, and PB Growth fund.

The other reason for selecting PB series, too lazy to look up a Public Mutual agent and make appointment. For EPF investment, you need to fill in a form and do thumb prints on the form. So much easier to just walk into the nearest Public Bank...

Always Pot Black Strategy.
1. Place the whole bet on islamic bond. Pay only 0.25% service charge.

2. PB Islamic bond was among the better bond funds. Good annualised returns when bought in early July; 2nd withdrawal in Nov. not so good - got steep declines in November. So 1st withdrawal has above 4% annualised returns, 2nd one is less than 2%. Inclusive of the 0.25% charge, so they are in the black.

3. Starting in Jan. have made several switches to Islamic Equity. The minimal allowable units to switch is 1000 units. So about rm1200 each time. No switching fee... since we are paying the service charge of 3% (for converting low charged units to high charged units. Public Mutual called it "low loads" and "loaded" units.)

4. Always in the black... because the 3% service charge is paid from the gains made by the bond fund.

5. So far, the equity fund is paying off the service charge on its own. It went up 2.56% in March, and another 0.94% yesterday.

6. So far so good... if the stock market dips, will top-up from the bond fund.

7. If the switch into islamic equity fund is more than 90 days, depending on the outlook, will switch it out to islamic cash management fund - which is a money market fund; and there is zero switching fee if after 90 days.

8. So the plan is to switch out to the money market fund when each top-up hits 90 days. Let them accumulate there. Always in the black. tongue.gif

9. If the situation warranted, then switched all at one go (or maybe 2) back into the equity fund, and paying RM25 for switching fee.

10. In the meantime, regularly top-up from the bond fund to equity fund. The aim is to pay the 3% service charge, and even out the charge over the investment period; and ending up with "loaded" units already paid up on the service charge.

There is one thing which I have to check and confirm with Public Mutual. If we hit age 55, will the EPF investment loose its "EPF" status - which will then open up all the other funds (non-EPF approved) to switch into.

Otherwise, it will be boring with just 2 equity funds to play...

Cheers.

j.passing.by
post Apr 3 2013, 05:52 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(lazybump_nonsense @ Apr 3 2013, 05:31 PM)
Yea heard that today's market drop dramatically, should I switch to PFSF from PRSF? Because different of different agents.
How to predict? Drop 1.8% before lunch, and climbed backed up after 4.00pm to 0.02% gain.

To make a switch, you need to do it before 4.00pm.

If we want to hold local funds, we have to believe in the economy of the country in the long term... so maybe top-up in small portions regularly, maybe double the top-up when there's a dip.

The one thing for sure, at the moment, is that the stock markets in the region (Sin, Thai, Indo & Mal) is high. Will they drop? Possible. Will they go further up? Possible.

So far, the outlook is up. Thai is above 1500... some say it will hit 1700 at the end of the year.

Same with Mal... now above 1650, can easily break 1700... maybe will even break 2000 eventually before gold hits 2000/oz. biggrin.gif

koinibler
post Apr 3 2013, 06:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,050 posts

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Apr 3 2013, 05:38 PM)

^ logic and good strategies too..

my concern is, there're more of probability of 'opportunity cost' in this strategy. Investing in unit trust should be simple and easy.

More complicated one, its better focus on shares.

Just my 2 cent.

This post has been edited by koinibler: Apr 3 2013, 06:02 PM
lazybump_nonsense
post Apr 3 2013, 06:09 PM

Gotta Catch'em All
1,650 posts

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ Apr 3 2013, 05:52 PM)
How to predict? Drop 1.8% before lunch, and climbed backed up after 4.00pm to 0.02% gain.

To make a switch, you need to do it before 4.00pm.

If we want to hold local funds, we have to believe in the economy of the country in the long term... so maybe top-up in small portions regularly, maybe double the top-up when there's a dip.

The one thing for sure, at the moment, is that the stock markets in the region (Sin, Thai, Indo & Mal) is high. Will they drop? Possible. Will they go further up? Possible.

So far, the outlook is up. Thai is above 1500... some say it will hit 1700 at the end of the year.

Same with Mal... now above 1650, can easily break 1700... maybe will even break 2000 eventually before gold hits 2000/oz.  biggrin.gif
I'm not predicting, just my agent urged me to switch the fund hmm.gif as i believe the value of the fund(PRSF) may as well goes up which I dont need to cut the loss rclxms.gif
j.passing.by
post Apr 3 2013, 10:29 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(koinibler @ Apr 3 2013, 06:00 PM)
^ logic and good strategies too..

my concern is, there're more of probability of  'opportunity cost' in this strategy. Investing in unit trust should be simple and easy.

More complicated one, its better focus on shares.

Just my 2 cent.
yes, the complication is that no Public series and no cash investment was suggested in the strategy, too bad... LOL. smile.gif

tehoice
post Apr 4 2013, 03:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,403 posts

Hi guys, I'm new in this mutual fund thingy... I've got some savings to invest.
How do I go about it? thanks...

Also, which fund is good for long term?

My goal is for long term, 10-15 years or etc... my risk appetite is consider quite high...
I'm investing for future passive income... can someone please shed me some lights pls.. thanks...

149 Pages « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0375sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:42 PM