Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Astro B.yond Episode IV (Version 9.0), The New World of Entertainment

dxjb
post Aug 10 2012, 12:31 AM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
Group: Elite

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Thank you very much for your in-depth explanation that I greatly appreciate..No disrespect to other experts here, but I feel a lot more comfortable getting some advice from u..and sorry for being too direct blush.gif

As a summary of mine to ur questions, these are the things I feel are important..

1) April 2012, I upgraded from Byond to Byond PVR with the 500gb hard disk inside..previously for around two years since I upgraded from old Astro to Byond, I never had this problem..

2) If Im not mistaken, when I upgraded from old Astro to Byond, my satellite cable was not changed..and at that that time it was already 10 years old..and the thing is, my cable runs from the 'side' of my house, to the middle portion of my house as I live in a corner lot terrace house..I can estimate how long the distance form the dish to my TV is, but my point is, when I upgraded from old box to Byond without changing the satellite cable, it never caused me any problems..everything that was supposed to be changed, was changed like the dish and all..

3) When I upgraded to Byond PVR, I knew about the two LNB output so yes I paid attention to that point when it was being installed..however, what I did not know was whether the installer changed my old satellite cable..i definitely know the installed the new one to make it two cables running to my PVR box however, I do not know whether both cables are new or just one of them..my gut feeling and from what I remember, maybe one old and one new..if thats even possible..I cant honestly remember

4) I dont use a splitter so for me that is out of the window

5) Yes, it is the same channels that will are affected everyday and approximately at the same..I will do what u asked me to do first..those 6 steps u noted down before calling Astro should the problem still occurs..

My gut feeling is still that the installer did not align my dish correctly because I have gone through the experience before at my grandparents home..same channels, same time, everyday..gosh I hope I still had a pic of how ridiculously the installers fixed the dish..need kayu to support the whole dish from kendur or hanging..that was a case off them being malas..coz for God's sake there was concrete walls to the left and right of where they positioned the dish..they were malas to do the drilling and all..and some more, old folks home, so they think nobody will climb the roof to see their shoddy work..and heck, my grandparents home is not kampung kayu house ok! in the middle of PJ some more..! but hopefully they wont be facing that problem anymore coz my atok recently fixed his leaking roof, and he asked the Indon contractor to move the dish to the concreted wall..and its even properly aligned..!heck Indon can do better work than the so called Astro technicians..no need expensive satellite gadgets and all! laugh.gif

Anyways, I will give it some time, hopefully the next two weeks and do the survey u suggested..will also check the cables to see if got any problems before reporting back here and calling Astro..useless to call Astro now..they will just say no technicians, or after Raya only can come fix.. shakehead.gif will wait after Raya only do the calling..

Again thanks man for ur useful advice and again I really appreciate it notworthy.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dxjb
post Aug 10 2012, 01:00 AM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
Group: Elite

Can I just ask another question? To anyone who has the inside track on this or have knowledge about this..

Is it costly, hard/not beneficial for Astro to do something with their season football like they are doing with the Olympic channels right now? What I mean is, set up extra (temporary) channels, maybe just for the the weekends, to cater all the football they can show?

Im asking this is because, Astro sometimes are on the end of football fans bashing when there is more than 1 match being played at the same time..usually Astro will pick the more important matches or sometimes they favour the more popular leagues like the EPL or Spanish La Liga..when that happens, the other match will either be delayed or not shown at all..sometimes, it may take up to three days just to watch a delayed telecast and by that time, its already old news..this will usually drive the fans of the match not being shown mad..u can usually see this on Astro's FB on most weekends..these fans will demand an explanation from Astro as to why they are showing their beloved team on delayed since they also pay for Astro and so on..

N sometimes, Astro are also blamed for sacrificing other sports just to cater their football coverage..some times the non-football fans will still want to watch their Formula 1, or tennis or badminton etc..they too will not be happy when Astro favour football

So my question is, an its an honest question that I just want to know the answer, whats holding Astro back from doing an Olympic style channels just maybe for Saturday, Sunday and Monday to show football? If they could do that, they would probably avoid being attacked by fans whose teams are not shown on TV or by fans who just dont like football and want to watch other sports..

Is it the costs? bandwidth (although I dont want to get too technical on issues like this), hard to manage so many channels? not enough space? Astro do have the rights to many football leagues if not all..theyre the only ones who have them in Malaysia so why not utilise it? They paid for it..

SkySports in the UK and many other sports broadcasters around the world give their viewers the option to pick and watch what match or what sport they want if they are many of them being played simultaneously..does Astro not have that in them? (honest question) nod.gif

This post has been edited by dxjb: Aug 10 2012, 01:08 AM
+Quote Post
Qash-M
post Aug 10 2012, 12:05 PM

7168 ftw
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(dxjb @ Aug 10 2012, 01:00 AM)
Can I just ask another question? To anyone who has the inside track on this or have knowledge about this..

Is it costly, hard/not beneficial for Astro to do something with their season football like they are doing with the Olympic channels right now? What I mean is, set up extra (temporary) channels, maybe just for the  the weekends, to cater all the football they can show?

Im asking this is because, Astro sometimes are on the end of football fans bashing when there is more than 1 match being played at the same time..usually Astro will pick the more important matches or sometimes they favour the more popular leagues like the EPL or Spanish La Liga..when that happens, the other match will either be delayed or not shown at all..sometimes, it may take up to three days just to watch a delayed telecast and by that time, its already old news..this will usually drive the fans of the match not being shown mad..u can usually see this on Astro's FB on most weekends..these fans will demand an explanation from Astro as to why they are showing their beloved team on delayed since they also pay for Astro and so on..

N sometimes, Astro are also blamed for sacrificing other sports just to cater their football coverage..some times the non-football fans will still want to watch their Formula 1, or tennis or badminton etc..they too will not be happy when Astro favour football

So my question is, an its an honest question that I just want to know the answer, whats holding Astro back from doing an Olympic style channels just maybe for Saturday, Sunday and Monday to show football? If they could do that, they would probably avoid being attacked by fans whose teams are not shown on TV or by fans who just dont like football and want to watch other sports..

Is it the costs? bandwidth (although I dont want to get too technical on issues like this), hard to manage so many channels? not enough space? Astro do have the rights to many football leagues if not all..theyre the only ones who have them in Malaysia so why not utilise it? They paid for it..

SkySports in the UK and many other sports broadcasters around the world give their viewers the option to pick and watch what match or what sport they want if they are many of them being played simultaneously..does Astro not have that in them? (honest question) nod.gif
Maybe...

UK satcaster BSkyB’s pay-TV rivals have been dealt another blow after a directive to lower the price at which Sky offers its premium sports channels to other platforms was overturned.

http://www.c21media.net/archives/86342
+Quote Post
napster.real
post Aug 10 2012, 12:53 PM

Group: Junior Member

Ok, i oso got some issues with my Byond PVR box. Hope someone here could giv me some advise (and maybe solution) to the problems that i facing with.

1) The PVR box got 2 tuners (both of them are connected with cables), but there only signal from SAT1..nothing from SAT2..

2) Sometimes, when i switch on the PVR box (from complete power-off, not from stand-by), the clock in front displayed "00:00" rather than showing correct time.

3) When i turned it on with "00:00" clock display, all information on TV Guide and Info-Bar is missing.

4) The TV channel is missing. (RTM1 got, RTM2 no display, TV3 got, RIA no display, PRIMA got....and so on....) But, then i go to [HOME>PLANNER>RECORDED>WATCH] then i play any shows that i recorded, push BACK, and the TV channel are changed (RTM1 no display, RTM2 got, TV3 no display, RIA got, PRIMA no display....and so on....). The error displayed - if i not mistaken : SOME PROBLEMS WITH SIGNAL, OR THERE ARE HEAVY RAIN OR SIGNAL CABLING PROBLEM, PLEASE CONSULT WITH ASTRO CS AT...BLA..BLA...BLA...

5) I connect the PVR Box to my SINGER Plasma 50 inch TV. Is anyone know the TV codes so i can control my Plasma TV with Byond remote??

FYI, i just installed this PVR box last 2 days with NEW Account.

Thanks in advance ya~~

helppp....~~ rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by napster.real: Aug 10 2012, 12:54 PM
+Quote Post
smileguy
post Aug 10 2012, 02:24 PM

Regular

QUOTE(napster.real @ Aug 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
Ok, i oso got some issues with my Byond PVR box. Hope someone here could giv me some advise (and maybe solution) to the problems that i facing with.

1) The PVR box got 2 tuners (both of them are connected with cables), but there only signal from SAT1..nothing from SAT2..

2) Sometimes, when i switch on the PVR box (from complete power-off, not from stand-by), the clock in front displayed "00:00" rather than showing correct time.

3) When i turned it on with "00:00" clock display, all information on TV Guide and Info-Bar is missing.

4) The TV channel is missing. (RTM1 got, RTM2 no display, TV3 got, RIA no display, PRIMA got....and so on....) But, then i go to [HOME>PLANNER>RECORDED>WATCH] then i play any shows that i recorded, push BACK, and the TV channel are changed (RTM1 no display, RTM2 got, TV3 no display, RIA got, PRIMA no display....and so on....). The error displayed - if i not mistaken : SOME PROBLEMS WITH SIGNAL, OR THERE ARE HEAVY RAIN OR SIGNAL CABLING PROBLEM, PLEASE CONSULT WITH ASTRO CS AT...BLA..BLA...BLA...

5) I connect the PVR Box to my SINGER Plasma 50 inch TV. Is anyone know the TV codes so i can control my Plasma TV with Byond remote??

FYI, i just installed this PVR box last 2 days with NEW Account.

Thanks in advance ya~~

helppp....~~  rclxub.gif
Looks like ur installer has done a bad job,ur dish has to realigned to recive all channels and next u need a crucial update,leave your decorder on standby after update u may sort other issues.
+Quote Post
napster.real
post Aug 10 2012, 06:12 PM

huhuhu~~ thanks for your advice pal, the installer just call me..

He confirmed that my PVR Box cause the problem hmm.gif ...and informed that he will came to my house on monday to collect the PVR Box at morning, take to their centre, change it, then install it back at the same day... biggrin.gif meanwhile......i have to use the current PVR box with some patience....really cannot wait until moan-day~ rclxms.gif

....will update when my PVR Box changed. whistling.gif
+Quote Post
limchee
post Aug 10 2012, 08:09 PM

♥EUNJI♥

http://kbsworld.kbs.co.kr/promotion/201208...conversion.html

KBS World gonna convert to HD on 3 September…
wonder if Astro is going to bring it in?
+Quote Post
jamesleetech
post Aug 10 2012, 08:14 PM

Casual

QUOTE(napster.real @ Aug 10 2012, 06:12 PM)

huhuhu~~ thanks for your advice pal, the installer just call me..

He confirmed that my PVR Box cause the problem  hmm.gif  ...and informed that he will came to my house on monday to collect the PVR Box at morning, take to their centre, change it, then install it back at the same day...  biggrin.gif  meanwhile......i have to use the current PVR box with some patience....really cannot wait until moan-day~  rclxms.gif

....will update when my PVR Box changed.  whistling.gif
I would like to suggest that you check the replacement Byond PVR to make sure everything work properly BEFORE the installer leave, including making a short PVR recording and then test playback. Check the Signal Level is NOT too low, don't just accept it and do NOT believe the installer who may give excuses that for Byond PVR is normal for very low signal levels. If the Signal Level is about 100 only (for good weather), then don't allow installer to leave until he/she corrected this to higher signal level.

If software is not the latest, immediately ask the installer to update for you and then test everything. No need to do it yourself after he/she left. If it is possible, make sure the LNB is properly held tightly on the clamp holder so you must tell the installer to be absolutely sure that its not loose to avoid calling Astro again after a short time. Tell the installer that it happened many times to a few of your friends which caused so much inconvenience and you will also be frustrated again if mis-alignment happen to you only after a few weeks.

The installer will give you a service form to sign after completing job. Make sure his/her name and phone details is written on the copy he/she gave you. If he/she did not give you a copy, then you must always write down his/her name and phone number so that you can complain to Astro with his/her details if problems happened again (maybe in a few weeks time) because of poor installation.

cool.gif
+Quote Post
aerobowl
post Aug 10 2012, 10:03 PM

On my way

QUOTE(limchee @ Aug 10 2012, 08:09 PM)
http://kbsworld.kbs.co.kr/promotion/201208...conversion.html

KBS World gonna convert to HD on 3 September…
wonder if Astro is going to bring it in?
do hope can watch music bank live in HD
but the way Sone 393 purposely not taking chinese subtitles i doubt astro will be so nice
+Quote Post
chuppachop
post Aug 11 2012, 12:54 AM

On my way

Fyi.

Multi Channels Asia Lands Malaysian Carriage Deal By Kristin Brzoznowski Published: August 10, 2012

SINGAPORE: Multi Channels Asia (MCA) has secured a carriage agreement with the Malaysian cable operator Asian Broadcasting Network (ABN) for eight channels, including NDTV 24/7.

Also included in the pact are Bloomberg Television, KidsCo, NDTV Good Times, NDTV India and Outdoor Channel as well as Havoc 24 and Motorvision. ABN will be delivering these eight services for pay TV in Malaysia.

Gregg Creevey, the managing director of MCA, said, "We are pleased to link up with ABN as the latest entrant in the Malaysian pay-TV sector. Malaysia is one of the most important pay-TV markets in South East Asia and getting increasingly competitive. In working with MCA, ABN will be able to deliver a number of key channels across multiple genres and demographics."
+Quote Post
Qash-M
post Aug 11 2012, 12:59 AM

7168 ftw

QUOTE(chuppachop @ Aug 11 2012, 12:54 AM)
Fyi.

Multi Channels Asia Lands Malaysian Carriage Deal By Kristin Brzoznowski Published: August 10, 2012

SINGAPORE: Multi Channels Asia (MCA) has secured a carriage agreement with the Malaysian cable operator Asian Broadcasting Network (ABN) for eight channels, including NDTV 24/7.

Also included in the pact are Bloomberg Television, KidsCo, NDTV Good Times, NDTV India and Outdoor Channel as well as Havoc 24 and Motorvision. ABN will be delivering these eight services for pay TV in Malaysia.

Gregg Creevey, the managing director of MCA, said, "We are pleased to link up with ABN as the latest entrant in the Malaysian pay-TV sector. Malaysia is one of the most important pay-TV markets in South East Asia and getting increasingly competitive. In working with MCA, ABN will be able to deliver a number of key channels across multiple genres and demographics."

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/displa...ca-abn-malaysia
Nice info. rclxms.gif Astro would never release that many channels, in one annoucement. (unless their using MPEG4 on SD channels) brows.gif

Attached Image Wahaha laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Qash-M: Aug 11 2012, 01:34 AM
+Quote Post
chuppachop
post Aug 11 2012, 10:03 AM

On my way

8-) interesting positions in content department too.

http://abnxcess.com/career.html#

+Quote Post
Qash-M
post Aug 11 2012, 10:07 AM

7168 ftw

QUOTE(chuppachop @ Aug 11 2012, 10:03 AM)
8-) interesting positions in content department too.

http://abnxcess.com/career.html#
I'm glad if you're joining ABN... drool.gif rclxms.gif They do need an experts like you. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
azrin_kiko
post Aug 11 2012, 10:41 AM

On my way

Thread closed

Continue to

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2465662