Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
27 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Recommendation for Credit Cards V1, TQ to contributors ! (From MOD)

views

TSGen-X
post Mar 15 2011, 01:02 AM, updated 11y ago

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

Info for credit card newbies:

1. Minimum income requirement to qualify for a credit card is RM24,000 per annum (effective from 18th March 2011). You must be able to submit proof of your income.

2. Minimum age to qualify for a Principal credit card : 21 years old. Supplementary cardholders: at least 18 years old.

If you do not/cannot meet the above requirements, then you are not qualified for a credit card. You still can go get a debit card and enjoy the convenient similar to a credit card.

3. If you are a foreigner or your income is from overseas (e.g. you work in Singapore), please refer directly with the bank if you are eligible for their credit cards

4. There is no such thing as the best credit card, it depends on your needs and each card has its own benefits.

5. For those earning less than RM36K, your credit limit should be 2X your monthly income in accordance to BNM guidelines. For those earning more than RM36K, the credit limit assigned to you is entirely up to the bank. With BNM latest guidelines, banks are no longer allowed to increase a cardholder's credit limit without his/her consent.

6. There is a Government Service Tax of RM50 for each Principal Credit Card. If you apply for a credit card and the moment it is approved, you are responsible for the RM50 GST. So make sure you want the card before applying for it.

7. And the only thing that is of importance regarding credit cards is - DO NOT do apply for a credit card if you have no cash or savings to pay for your transactions. Credit card interest rate is very high and many go bankrupt because they have no discipline in controlling their spending. Always settle credit card bills in full monthly, never say just once, if you don't have money today in the bank to pay your credit card bills, what makes you think you will have enough money tomorrow to pay your credit card bills? DON"T be a slave to the banks.

8. If you cannot afford to pay the RM50 GST, GO GET A DEBIT CARD!

When choosing a credit card, below are things to consider

1. Free Lifetime Annual Fee - if the card does not come with automatic annual fee waiver, e.g. 12 swipes per year, then you have to waste time requesting for annual fee waiver yearly.

2. What is the main purpose of you getting a credit card? - Petrol, Cash Back/Rebate Only, Overseas Transactions, Golf, Installment Plans, Airport Lounge etc. Do some homework and you shall benefit from using the right credit card instead of grumbling over the miserable RM50 GST.

3. Convenience in making payment. You are to make payment before the Due Date or else you may be imposed Late Penalty Fee and Interest Charges.

Gen-X's recommendation for those new to credit cards:

Annual Income RM24K/year to RM30K/year.

UOB One Card - good for Petrol as it earns you 5% cash back for all stations. However the cash back is capped at RM20/month, i.e. up to RM400 petrol. And if you pump at BHP, you get to earn SMART$ too PLUS BHP points.
Click here to UOB Thread for further info or click here to read my review of the UOB One Card.

MACH by HLB - from the very start you need to choose the right package based on your spending pattern. It earns you 10% cash back for movies or 5% cash back for dining.
Click here to MACH Thread for further info or click here to read my review of the MACH by Hong Leong Bank.

To see more credit cards where the eligible income starts at RM24K/year - click here to read my article on Entry Level Credit Cards.

Minimum Annual Income RM30K/year.

FREE FOR LIFE Maybankard 2 Cards. This is a combo package where you are issued an American Express and you can decide to partner it with either a Visa or MasterCard. The MBB 2 AMEX earns you 5X Treats Points everyday for any transactions which is like approximately 2.5% cash back when redeeming for cash vouchers AND best of all it also earns you 5% cash back on Saturdays and Sundays.
Click here to MBB 2 Cards V7 Thread for more info or click here to read my review of the Maybankard 2 Gold and Platinum Cards.

In my opinion, the Maybankard 2 AMEX is truly good for local transactions since we earn 5X Treats Points which are evergreen. For overseas, please bear in mind that the conversion rate is high (go read MBB 2 Thread Post#2 FAQ).

Note: if you can't wait tilll Saturday or Sunday to pump petrol, consider getting the UOB One Card. Also this free up the 5% cash back for the MBB2 AMEX on weekends for other types of expenses. And as of December 2012, Petronas stations accept AMEX thumbup.gif

Minimum Annual Income RM36K/year.

OCBC Titanium MasterCard - Everyone should have this card as it earns the cardholder 5% cash back everyday for Petrol, Telco Bills, Dining, Groceries and Utilities. The cash back is capped at RM50/month. So with the 5% cash back and RM1K spending per month, you can earn RM600 in cash back a year. Annual Fee is waived with just 12 swipes a year.
Click here to OCBC Thread for more info and note the places you can earn 5% cash back and click here to read my review of the OCBC Titanium MasterCard.

OTHER RELATED LINKS

Click here to read my article Platinum Credit Card to find the right card for yourself.

If you are looking for Premier Credit Cards with good Enrich redemption and other goodies click here to read my article Malaysia Premier Credit Card - Privilege and Exclusive Credit Cards which are good for overseas transactions.

If you are looking for a credit card purely for petrol, go to Petrol Thread by clicking here.

If you are looking for a credit card for free access to KLIA and LCCT Plaza Premium airport lounge click here to that thread.

If you are into Enrich Miles for FREE air tickets, click here to Enrich Miles Thread and see which is the best card for converting points to Enrich Miles.

If you are looking for 0% Balance Transfer, click here to BT Thread. And if you are new to Balance Transfer, please click here to read my article Balance Transfer Plans - Facts You Need To Know before signing up for one.

If you are looking for cards that offers 0% installment plans, Maybank credit cards are accepted at many merchants where you can opt for Ezy Pay starting from 6 months and up to 36 months. However, once again, if you don't have savings please do not sign up for 0% Installment Plans because you will be in debt. And I advise you to go for shorter period. Click here to read my article 0% Installment Plans - It IS A Trap.

If you are an Insurance Agent or spend up to RM5K per month at places that do not accept American Express, look into Alliance Platinum Credit Card where you can earn up to 2% cash back (approximately RM68/month with RM5K spending) PLUS reward points too.

And if you must know what is the best credit card for overseas transactions (as of January 2013), well it is the Maybank Visa Infinite - click here to read my comprehensive review.

Last but not least, if you are new to credit cards please visit my Credit Card Tutorial Page by clicking here. I have designed a series of articles for you, after completing the FREE tuition, you'll be an expert on credit cards smile.gif
user posted image

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Sep 11 2013, 11:48 PM
TSGen-X
post Mar 15 2011, 08:48 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(samquah @ Mar 15 2011, 08:41 AM)
premier miles cc

worth having?
Please fill items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6:

1. Annual Income: RM18K to RM30K or RM30K to RM60K or RM60K to RM100K or RM100K and above or leave blank.

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: A Must or No only.

3. Card required for: List all your needs. Example Petrol, Education, Cash Back/Rebate Only, AirMiles, Overseas Transactions, Free LCCT Lounge Access , Golf, etc or Don't Know.

4. Existing credit cards if any: List them or Nil.

5. Looking at CC from: Citibank - Premier Miles

6. Others: Please be specific. Example: I am a foreigner or I only want to pay amount due with my M2U online savings account or I want cash back only and no reward points.

By filling up the above, then others can make suggestion based on your needs. Actually, if you list out item 3, you yourself would most probably have answered your question above.
TSGen-X
post Mar 15 2011, 07:18 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(mydyory @ Mar 15 2011, 05:08 PM)
1. Annual Income: rm26400 per year

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: A Must

3. Card required for: instant cash but pay monthly/petrol/online shopping

4. Existing credit cards if any: Nil.

5. Looking at CC from: anybank seems im in kuala lumpur

6. Others: actualy i want to make a personal loan, but most of the bank rejected me coz i dont have any commitment. is there any solution about my financial?
For ur income if u can submit proof, u should not have problem getting a credit card.
As for instant cash with credit card, it is not advisable because besides the daily interest charges on the cash withdrawal, new transaction will also be imposed interest. My advise is never ever withdraw cash with credit card unless it is for emergency. Having said this, if u reall need the instant cash, look into Affin and MBB2 where the interest rate is less than 10%. Or HLB standard credit card for short term loan but do not withdraw cash with it instead do balance transfer where HLB will transfer the money into your savings account.
I am using my bb to reply this so kind of hard for me to give u link to HLB BT. Go check out yourself.

For petrol, look into MBB2 or even Ambank Carz or get a debit card where some give cash back.

Click on the links posted in the first post to read my articles.
TSGen-X
post Mar 16 2011, 07:39 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(alexwsk @ Mar 16 2011, 06:25 PM)
@Gen-X, suggest to change Q5 to Preferred Bank(s):

admin, can we pin this thread, Free Access to Airport Lounges with Credit Cards, Balance transfer and also MAYBE Credit Card v15, American Express® Cards v3, Debit Card V2

other forummers, any suggestions? thx
Yalah, noted 2 person join just to what is best card. Agree to suggestion, PM Mod on your suggestion. I will revise Q5 this weekend, now using BB very troublesome.
TSGen-X
post Mar 17 2011, 05:09 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(tox @ Mar 17 2011, 02:38 PM)
1. Annual Income: 33600

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: Must

3. Card required for: Petrol, tolls mostly. accepted at most stores overseas. will travel more due to work in the future. others are a bonus

4. Existing credit cards if any: none

5. Looking at CC from: anything

6. Others: none
I would recommend Maybankard because it is free for life, MBB Amex gives u points for petrol and 5% cashback on weekends except at Petronas it can't be used. For toll MBB 2 Visa or MC are accepted by Plus and Petronas and Maybank overseas conversion rate the lowest.

Go to Maybankard 2 cards thread to read more about it.
TSGen-X
post Mar 18 2011, 09:20 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(joe_jelangkung @ Mar 18 2011, 02:14 AM)
hello there. i'm looking for cc. i hd just started working at gov sector. i'm considering to apply for cc. below is the detail.

1. Annual Income: RM20400

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: No

3. Card required for: buy airline ticket, online transactions, petrol, shopping goods, bills

5. Looking at CC from: MBB

6. Others: -

thanx
Look like you got to wait for your increment before you can apply for a CC now that the minimum income is RM24K. I guess you wait a few months and see what the banks will offer.

In the meantime, go look at Debit cards by Public Bank where they do give cash rebate for petrol

QUOTE(Kimichi @ Mar 18 2011, 03:23 PM)
TS pls help recommend me a CC. I mostly interest to use it for overseas shopping.
already work for 1 year.

1. Annual Income: RM18K to RM30K (specific ; 27000++)

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: No.

3. Card required for: Petrol, Education, Cash Back/Rebate Only, Overseas Transactions

4. Existing credit cards if any:Nil.

5. Looking at CC from: any

6. Others: I only want to pay amount due with my M2U online savings account and have good reward point

thanks in advance  notworthy.gif
Try Maybankard 2 Cards.

QUOTE(kidmad @ Mar 18 2011, 03:34 PM)
Guys, i need some help here, what bank would be able to provide me a credit card asap if i apply by today or tomorrow or monday? I need the credit card to be available before 8th April as i would need it before i'm going to US for a business trip.

1. Annual Income: 60 - 100k?

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: No

3. Card required for: Overseas Transactions

4. Existing credit cards if any: Maybank Visa

5. Looking at CC from: anywhere in Klang Valley

6. Others: I need the credit card to be available before 8th April as i would need it before i'm going to US for a business trip
kidmad: alexwsk have told you answer where you may get immediate cards. CIMB you may get their Visa Signature same day.

Click here to see Contact Numbers of card issuers at my blog. Call Citiabank and Maybank CS and ask if they can issue you card on the spot.

For CIMB call their Sunway card centre number - 03-56316979 and ask what documents you need for 1 day approval. If you prefer to do it at Pavilion, call this number and ask for Pavilion contact number and liaise with the staff there.

Click here to my blog to see overseas transaction conversion rates.

QUOTE(alexwsk @ Mar 18 2011, 05:39 PM)
since u need it urgently, u will need to walk in to credit card centre to apply
maybank, cimb and citi cc centre has instant approval if not mistaken
on which card is the best for overseas, i'll let those frequent travellers to answer
QUOTE(97th Mobile @ Mar 18 2011, 05:12 PM)
1. Annual Income: Above RM30k

3. Card required for: Petrol, AirMiles, Overseas Transactions, Free LCCT and KLIA Lounge Access, Online Shopping, Discount at airport duty free and other free perks.

4. Existing credit cards if any: Maybank Visa Classic.

5. Looking at CC from: CIMB.
icon_question.gif
Wah, with RM30K you want Petrol, Air Miles, Free LCCT and KLIA, discount on duty free and free perks. Sorry lah, no such card for you. If you revise your salary to RM48K above maybe got such a card.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 18 2011, 09:40 PM
TSGen-X
post Mar 18 2011, 09:44 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(tyj82 @ Mar 18 2011, 09:36 PM)
1. Annual Income: Above RM 40K

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: A Must. Free the RM 50 Gov charge too

3. Card required for: Airasia or other budget airline. Alot of shopping. Dining. MYR - USD alot.

4. Existing credit cards if any: None.

5. Looking at CC from: Preferred Maybank, Citi, HSBC
Only card giving auto waive on RM50GST is OCBC. If you want Maybank then go for Maybankard 2 where MBB do have the lowest conversion rate. click the link in above post where I posted link to my blog on overseas conversion. Most budget airline nowadays accept Amex too including AirAsia.

TSGen-X
post Mar 18 2011, 09:51 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(kidmad @ Mar 18 2011, 09:48 PM)
Guys! thank you very much! Unfortunately my MBB is tied with some installments so it might not be enough. Just preparing a spare just incase i dont have enough to pay for the hotel. 14 days hotel would not be cheap! terima kasih all. Let me go check it out. thank you.
you have another option, call MBB CS tell them you going overseas and need RMXXX to cover hotel expenses and see if they can grant you temporary CL increase.
TSGen-X
post Mar 18 2011, 11:50 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(xander @ Mar 18 2011, 11:11 PM)
1. Annual Income: Above RM 35000 (might revised to above 40k soon)

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: A Must. Free the RM 50 Gov charge too is possible

3. Card required for: Shopping

4. Existing credit cards if any: Maybank Ikhlwan Amex, CIMB Direct Access Mastercard, RHB Classic Visa

5. Looking at CC from: Preferred Citi, HSBC

i just read the new bnm rule and wonder what's the impact for me if my cards are currently tied as as below

CIMB Direct Access - to Digi for 24 monthsm left ard 12 months to go
RHB Classic Visa - to another merchant with a 24 months of 6k ezy payment
hi xander, long time no see. For your case if you want GST waiver then go for OCBC Titanium MasterCard but shopping not much benefit, dining you do get 5% cash back. But you are right in away, for shopping, many places do get discount with HSBC (got free annual fee with 12 swipes) and Citibank. But Citibank do not meet your requirement as it does not have auto waiver for annual fee, you got to request.

Talking about HSBC and Citibank, last year at Baskin Robins, HSBC got discount but now no more but Citibank do get discount now. go check out HSBC and Citibank website to see if they offer you discount at places you shop. If no, look into Maybankard 2 cards where you do get 5% cash back on weekends and 5X TP everyday for you shopping with Maybankard 2 Amex and that is if the places you go to accept AMEX.
TSGen-X
post Mar 19 2011, 08:43 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(97th Mobile @ Mar 19 2011, 12:38 AM)
Thanks alexwsk and chemistry for your replies.

Hi Gen-X, let me try again below -

1. Annual Income: RM 84k ~ RM 100k (Not Constant cause own business)

3. Card required for: Petrol, AirMiles, Overseas Transactions, Free LCCT and KLIA Lounge Access, Online Shopping, Discount at airport duty free and other free perks if available.

4. Existing credit cards if any: Maybank Visa Classic (Limit RM 52K)

5. Looking at CC from: Any Banks

I do not need to have all the above mention requirements, just the best available card that is best suited for the above mention requirements.

TQ
Ok, with MBB 52K CL, you can qualify for most cards.

My opinion is that for your needs, you need a combination of cards:

Citibank Premier Miles for AirMiles and Airport Lounge Access as mentioned by chemistry. BUT this card do not meet your requirement for auto Free Annual Fee. I think most AirMiles card with Free Access to Airport Lounge do not come with Free Annual Fee, anyone can confirm this?

Free for Life - CIMB Visa Signature or World Master Card to get 15% discount for liquor and chocolates at Eraman KLIA (fags no discount). Like kidmad case: call CIMB Sunway card centre number - 03-56316979 and ask what documents you need for 1 day approval and do tell them you got MBB card with RM52K CL because if you have HSBC or SCB with CL >RM40K they might just approve you based on CL and no need proof of income. If you prefer to do it at Pavilion, call this number and ask for Pavilion contact number and liaise with the staff there. Please do report back and let me know if they accept your CL of RM52K for auto approval so we can share with others. Also note you must be buying stuff worth more than RM333 just to offset the RM50GST with the 15% discount.

For Petrol, go apply Free For Life Maybankard 2 Platinum Cards so that you get points and cash back for Petrol with the Amex Card. The MBB 2 Visa/MC will have the same lowest overseas transaction rate like your existing MBB CC, good for online overseas transactions. After approval of MBB 2, cancel your Maybank Classic Card.

For latest info on access to LCCT and KLIA lounge please go to http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1791878

and also link below to my blog and see chart on which cards are free.
http://creditcardsmalaysia.blogspot.com/20...ium-lounge.html

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 19 2011, 08:44 AM
TSGen-X
post Mar 19 2011, 11:12 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(Fall guy @ Mar 19 2011, 11:00 AM)
With the new ruling, it changes everything.
Not really, those earning RM36K and above no diff.
TSGen-X
post Mar 19 2011, 01:41 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(littleprawn @ Mar 19 2011, 12:24 PM)
1. Annual Income: RM18k - 30k

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: Must~

3. Card required for: Cash Rebate. Accepted at most stores local & overseas. Online transaction~

4. Existing credit cards if any: None~

5. Looking at CC from: Anything~

6. Others:  None

Thanks in advance~  biggrin.gif
If you got loans e.g. car and been paying promptly, do try OCBC Titanium MasterCard if you can proof your salary close to RM30K. Or else go pledge FD with them and get same credit limit as your FD pledged.

If cannot qualify for the OCBC, your other options for Cash Back cards with Free Annual fees subjected you swipe 12 times are UOB One Card and and Alliance Credit Card (Cash back based on tiers and you get points too). Other option is Public Bank Debit cards where they do give cash back.

Click here to to my article at my blog to see chart with free annual fees. Please note minimum annual income now is RM24K.

QUOTE(singdreams @ Mar 19 2011, 01:00 PM)
1. Annual Income:24000 ( age barely 20

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: Must

3. Card required for: Petrol, tolls and air ticket

4. Existing credit cards if any: none

5. Looking at CC from: anything

6. Others: none
Sorry, you need to be 21 years of age, not a single day less. Your option is to get a supp card or Debit Card.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 19 2011, 01:42 PM
TSGen-X
post Mar 19 2011, 05:12 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(xproc @ Mar 19 2011, 03:34 PM)
1. Annual Income: 40000
2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: yes. preferably waive the rm 50
3. Card required for: basic needs, need 1 for buying things, online transection etc
4. Existing credit cards if any: no. only got pb debit card
5. Looking at CC from: sc, citi or hlb preferably
6. Others: nice looking card
SCB, Citi and HLB in general got no auto annual fee waiver card but you can always request.
For Std Chart you qualify for Gold where they now giving RM128 cash back if you apply online.
For Citibank, you also qualify for their Gold Card and Clear Card.
HLB same thing, you qualify for their Gold Card and Essential Card.
Above mentioned Gold Cards do not give you anything for petrol but you do get Travel Insurance but that's not your requirement.

Card that suit your requirement and you qualify is OCBC Titanuim MasterCard where is is free if you swipe 12 times and GST waived if you spend RM10K. Click here to OCBC Titanium MC thread.

You also qualify for Free For Life Maybankard 2 Gold Cards based on your income. Click here to MBB 2 thread. Spend RM2K with Maybankard 2 Amex and you will get 10,000 points to offset the RM50 GST. Maybank Visa and Mastercard have the lowest overseas conversion rate, so if you do online purchase from overseas then consider this card.

As for nice looking card, check out Alliance You:nique, you can put whatever picture you want on the card but you got to pay for it. Click here to read about Alliance You:nique at my blog. The card is free if you swipe 12 times.

Since you got PBB Debit, if you happy with their service, look at their Gold Credit Card, Free annual fees if you swipe 12 times too.
TSGen-X
post Mar 21 2011, 12:09 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(mikecmy @ Mar 20 2011, 11:26 PM)
I'm not on any credit card yet.
Income is only 2k p/m (not including side income)
any bank have high chances of approval since i do not have any cc yet?
Applied for citi before but got rejected for dunno wtf reasons

1. Annual Income: RM24K (main income with payslips)

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: Must~

3. Card required for: Petrol/Groceries

5. Preferred Bank or Considering CC from banks: Any as long as approval can be done without much hassle

7. Estimated Spending per month with the card: <RM2k
OCBC Titanium best for petrol, groceries, dining and Telco bills. Like chemistry mentioned, you can try OCBC, but if you really want the card and willing to do some work, go pledge FD with OCBC and they will most likely issue you the card with same credit limit as FD pledged.

I f you not willing to pledge FD with them, then your options are like what I mentioned to littleprawn earlier, consider Alliance Bank and UOB Once Card. And once your salary reach near to RM30K, go get Maybankard 2 Cards, I did see that you have applied for it at the MBB 2 thread. You can also try CIMB Petronas Card if you pump petrol at Petronas and CIMB MasterCard do have promotion for groceries on Sundays.

Since you new to CC, recommend that you read the following posts at my blog:

Intro to CC 101.

Malaysia CC Annual Income Requirement and Credit Limit. For your case, the maximum CL will be RM4K for now.

and your question on how to contact Customer Service, click here where I have a listed Contact Numbers for banks.

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Mar 20 2011, 11:02 PM)
Annual Income: RM 180,000 (approx)
Free lifetime annual Fee: not really important since ive never paid for such fees in the past 10 years
Cards required for: grocery shopping, travel, etc (fuel not required since covered by company)
Existing cards: HSBC Platinum, Citibank Platinum

My main card is the HSBC which ive been using for many years. Citibank rarely used except for access to the Plaza Premium lounge at KLIA. Recently, i cashed out my points in HSBC (approx 640,000 points). So am wondering if i should continue using my HSBC / Citibank or is there a better card out there?
**Edited**

Your case, Maybankard 2 Card Platinum and get 5X Treats Points with the AMEX card and lowest conversion rate for overseas with the Visa/MC. Click here to read my review on MBB Dua. Even if you don't cancel both your existing cards, MBB 2 can compliment them as it is Free For Life. Spend Rm1K on a weekend and GST covered for a year with the cash back capped at RM50. Nothing to loose here.

HSBC - have you won anything with it? I haven't. And they have stupid contest requiring us to sms.

Citibank nowadays do have pretty good offer. You get discount at Coffee Bean and Baskin Robins. And your Citi Plat allows you free access to KLIA Plaza Premium Lounge. Also, your Citi Plat do give Medical Insurance for Overeas if you purchase air ticket with it. If you happy with Citi and if you do benefit with it, keep it since they waiving your annual fees.

Must say, both HSBC and Citi Customer Service is good and truly 24/7.

Do you buy liquor at Eraman Duty Free, if you do buy more than RM450 (XO), then get CIMB WMC and enjoy 15%.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 21 2011, 06:48 AM
TSGen-X
post Mar 21 2011, 12:42 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Mar 21 2011, 08:07 AM)
Well ive received 2 cashbacks from HSBC for purchases after signing up for the sms. Total ive received is about RM 220.
then I guess the card good for you. But you go do the math and compare how much you spent with HSBC to get the RM220 plus the worth of your redemption and compare them to what you'll get with MBB 5X TP. If HSBC better, then I guess no point for you to get the MBB Dua. Just to point out, you mentioned you got 640,000 and if those points were earned with HSBC 1X then with MBB you would have >3,000,000 Treats Points drool.gif

QUOTE(chemistry @ Mar 21 2011, 11:18 AM)
Gen-X don't like non-guaranteed cashback promotion. LOL.
hahaha, you know me so well
TSGen-X
post Mar 21 2011, 04:07 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Mar 21 2011, 01:33 PM)
Yes true. But the 5X points are only for certain merchants rite? Even Citibank has the same 2X reward points for Platinum but for certain merchants only.
I guess you did not read my article and as chemistry mentioned, MBB 2 AMEX earns you 5XTP for all type of transactions anywhere in the world anytime of the day. Click below link and read my article and when you get 1,000,000 TP, post it here smile.gif

http://creditcardsmalaysia.blogspot.com/20...an-express.html

and I assumed you knew that you will also get back max RM50 cash back per month with MBB 2 Amex. Anyway, in addition to the 5XTP, you can also earn up to RM600/year from using the MBB 2 AMEX on weekends.

My mistake for not explaining more on the MBB2 Amex as I assume all would have known the benefits of the card. Next time I have to post link to my article for every reply and that was the reason in the first place why I started a blog on credit card so that I no need to explain every time and just simply paste the link to my article.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 21 2011, 04:22 PM
TSGen-X
post Mar 21 2011, 05:06 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(gerrardling @ Mar 21 2011, 04:34 PM)
anyone receive call from HSBC ? they are offering 10x and 5x reward points depending on the merchant.
not on 5X or 10X but I did get sms stating HSBC now offering 12 months 0% BT.

QUOTE(clysmy @ Mar 21 2011, 04:36 PM)
1. Annual Income: RM 27,600

3. Card required for: cash back or petrol, pay monthly bill

4. Existing credit cards if any: UOB One Card

5. Preferred Bank or Considering CC from banks: Anybank

6. Others: I plan to use CC to make a loan to pay for housing downpayment.

please recommend me CC that suitable for me~  blush.gif
for petrol best is OCBC Titanium, like I mentioned earlier try apply for it. If approved good but if not then you can either wait tlll you earn RM36K per year pledge FD with OCBC. Since your income close to RM30K, also apply for Maybankard 2 cards where you can get 5X Points and 5% cash back on any type of transactions on weekend including petrol with the MBB 2 Amex.

Your UOB do give 2% Smart$ cash at BHP and also for groceries. Like I mentioned also look at Alliance Classic Card but I think your UOB One Card would be better with the 2% cash back for petrol and groceries.

Now for the other requirement to use CC to make loan, I don't understand but if that means to withdraw cash with your credit card to pay for downpayment, I strongly recommended that you DO NOT EVER withdraw cash with your credit card as the interest will increased very fast like Ah Long.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 21 2011, 05:07 PM
TSGen-X
post Mar 21 2011, 05:24 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Mar 21 2011, 05:15 PM)
I read your blog. Im quite interested in the Maybankard 2 AMEX. Is it better than HSBC / Citibank Platinum with my current needs and usage?
I don't even know how where you spend your money, hahaha so how to say better than HSBC or Citi Plat. But I don't see you having any problems using the MBB 2 AMEX since you can spend RM600K with your HSBC. But I can tell you that your Citibank Plat gives you access to KLIA Plaza Premium Lounge and Overseas Medical Insurance which MBB 2 don't.

My suggestion is that you keep both your Citi and HSBC and try out the MBB 2 AMEX and with time you will know what card is best. I hardly use my HSBC nowadays but keeping it anyway as some merchants do offer discount with it.
TSGen-X
post Mar 21 2011, 09:14 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(zodius @ Mar 21 2011, 05:23 PM)
1. Annual Income: RM33K

3. Card required for: Petrol, pay bill, instant money when travel worldwide or not carrying cash around, etc

4. Existing credit cards if any: Nil

5. Preferred Bank or Considering CC from banks: any bank

6. Others: currently got offer by maybankard 2 gold and CIMB card, which shud i choose?

7. Estimated Spending per month with the card: Less than RM1K
Missed this post earlier blush.gif I would go with Maybankard 2 Cards as you'll get 5XTP and cash back.

QUOTE(chemistry @ Mar 21 2011, 08:12 PM)
Try to apply OCBC Titanium first.

If unsuccessful, then only turn to Maybankard 2 Gold. But mind you, to earn 5X TreatsPoints using Amex you need to enrol EXPRESS AUTOPAY for your TNB/SYABAS/CELCOM/MAXIS/DIGI/ASTRO bills. Maxis Centre (Bangsar, TTDI, KLCC) accept Amex, but who will want to spend time looking for parking at such a busy place? Everybody is talking about "Online payment". Unfortunately Amex has not provided such facility yet.
Bro, 5X TP for all transaction with Maybankard 2 AMEX transaction lah.

Just to add, there is a misconception about the 5X MR for American Express Gold Credit Card too, you don't need to register EXPRESS AUTOPAY to get 5X Membership Reward points for Telco. For my previous AMEX Gold CC, I just went to DiGi, Maxis and CElcom and did auto debit and I do get 5X MR. Now all transferred to Maybankard 2 Amex as I intend to terminate the AMEX Gold CC.

QUOTE(EyraYus @ Mar 21 2011, 08:47 PM)
1. Annual Income: RM30k on paper..

2. Free Lifetime Annual Fee: well it depends

3. Card required for: Widely accepted at shopping centre and online trade.

4. Existing credit cards if any: Public Bank classic. Over a year already. Only 2K credit limit, asked for increase but rejected. Going to cancel if can get new card.

5. Looking at CC from: prefer CIMB, Maybank coz easier to pay.

6. Others:  My PB card were obtained by car loan. I have car loan with PB of rm40k with 2 year to go and asb loan of rm150k from CIMB starting last year. The problem is, i dont have payslip, no epf/kwsp/socso, so..
Well you mentioned your income RM30K on paper that means you can proof it right?

Shopping centres - well this is subjective. If you shop at Sungai Wang then Amex not so suitable, if you shop at Gardens or KLCC, then no problems using AMEX. I would recommend you apply for Maybankard 2 Cards anyway since you already got PBB CC and try out AMEX, it is FREE FOR LIFE. If Amex cannot use, you still got Maybankard 2 Visa or MC.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 21 2011, 09:18 PM
TSGen-X
post Mar 22 2011, 08:39 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(zodius @ Mar 22 2011, 08:30 AM)
Thanks Gen-X and chemistry vy much~  smile.gif
one more thing zodius, for instant cash around the world, get a Debit Card e.g. UOB Bank and never withdraw cash with credit card. Forgot to mention this earlier.

27 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0471sec    0.56    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:21 AM