Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

340 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Digital TV Station Malaysia, How do I tune to digital TV station?

views

KSBond
post Jun 23 2011, 10:28 AM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(ezlife @ Jun 22 2011, 09:14 PM)
Why cant we use external antenna with booster? What is the reason we need to use small antenna?

BTW, what is the resolution currently RTM broadcast using DVB-T? Is it DVD resolution?
Nobody said that you cannot use youe existing antenna.
If your current boosted antenna provides you with a good picture & audio quality on analoge TV, there is a great tendency that it will also giving you a good signal to your DTV.
Small antenna is very convenient and can be placed next to you DTV. In my case, it provides very good reception with crystal clear picture. Much much better then analogue TV.

RTM2 DVB-T trial broadcast is in MPEG SD 4:3 576i and not 1080i as mentioned earlier.

Anyhow, have you managed to tune to RTM DVB-T Broadcast ? hmm.gif
RAMChYLD
post Jun 23 2011, 10:37 AM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Jun 22 2011, 03:20 PM)
Please bear in mind, DTV broadcast is UNofficial transmission, say beta test run and its FOC. Viewers are subjected to their whim and fancy during this trial run.
There's 2 DTV channels, Channel 44 & 46. You've to align your antenna to receive these 2 signal band transmission. Align wrongly and either you get none or one channel.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm aware that it's experimental.

But you sure it's channel 44? Last I check the frequency moved to 549MHz. Or is that because I'm using boosted indoor antenna?

As for the other channel, my decoder can't find it. Is it DVB-T2?

Btw, my remark about how TV shows are cancelled mid-season refers to current analog stations like TV1 and NTV7.

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: Jun 23 2011, 10:39 AM
TSezlife
post Jun 23 2011, 11:19 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(KSBond @ Jun 23 2011, 10:28 AM)

Anyhow, have you managed to tune to RTM DVB-T Broadcast ?    hmm.gif
Errr....nope...Im having difficulty to connect the antenna to my wall mount TV. It is so difficult to make the connection, my wall mount TV leave very little space only....hard to reach...
KSBond
post Jun 23 2011, 12:01 PM

QUOTE(RAMChYLD @ Jun 23 2011, 10:37 AM)
But you sure it's channel 44? Last I check the frequency moved to 549MHz. Or is that because I'm using boosted indoor antenna?

As for the other channel, my decoder can't find it. Is it DVB-T2?

Btw, my remark about how TV shows are cancelled mid-season refers to current analog stations like TV1 and NTV7.
Dear RAMChYLD, let me provide answer on behalf of bsl555.
A quick check on my DTV setting reveals the following:-
1. Ch 44 provides: Music Active, ILHAM & PANGGUNG
2. Ch 46 provides: TV1, TV2, TV-i, Games, EPG ++ Radios
Music Active, ILHAM & PANGGUNG were previously on channel 46.

So bsl555 is right. Currently RTM is using two (2) channels for DVB-T testing i.e. Ch44 & Ch46.
I doubt it is on DVB-T2 as yet.

As for ezlife,
guesses you needs somebody strong to assist you ... biggrin.gif
bsl555
post Jun 23 2011, 12:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I understand DVB-T2 is with extended perimeters and standards over DVB-T. Whether the broadcasters intend to use the perimeters that are not included in DVB-T, left to be seen, but I guess its not so soon, as full compatibility have to be assured. Unsure if latest TV's are DVB-T2 capable. It must be of utmost importance for everyone to receive the broadcast as long as the TV is equiped with DVB-T or add-on a set top box.
I'm also in the learning process, just foolin around with my DTV capable TV. Problem is I'm now believing the signal strength where I live is currently very low, that I've to explore the antenna issue to increase the signal strength. Ok...got time then tinker with it, otherwise its viewable for now.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 23 2011, 12:42 PM
RAMChYLD
post Jun 23 2011, 02:44 PM

Regular

QUOTE(KSBond @ Jun 23 2011, 12:01 PM)
Dear RAMChYLD, let me provide answer on behalf of bsl555.
A quick check on my DTV setting reveals the following:-
1. Ch 44 provides: Music Active, ILHAM & PANGGUNG
2. Ch 46 provides: TV1, TV2, TV-i, Games, EPG ++ Radios
Music Active, ILHAM & PANGGUNG were previously on channel 46.
Noted with thanks. smile.gif

Truth to be told, I have not used my decoder for a while. Most likely it all changed again already. I'll rescan when I get home.

Although I wish they'd carry better programming on ilham. All half-assed local cartoons only hmm.gif

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: Jun 23 2011, 02:46 PM
KSBond
post Jun 27 2011, 10:08 AM

Wondering why it has been so quiet .... hmm.gif
... guesses the topic is not interesting anymore.

May be we should change to topic to a little bit more interesting, say
'Satellite TV in Malaysia ... How to receive Satellite TV Signal' ... biggrin.gif
NWR_77
post Jun 27 2011, 08:38 PM

What different between analog tv with digital tv?

What hardware to setup digital tv?

This post has been edited by NWR_77: Jun 27 2011, 08:40 PM
tbcheese
post Jun 27 2011, 10:16 PM

Getting Started

The last I tried was 3 years back. I had a DVB-T usb stick. Just plugged the regular rooftop yagi antenna into it and scanned on my PC. Found 4 channels at the time. Just make sure you're pointed at KL Tower.

At the time it was MPEG-2 (probably still is) and they were looking to upgrade to MPEG-4 before launching. Dunno how's the progress so far.
tanhks
post Jun 28 2011, 05:04 AM

On my way

QUOTE(KSBond @ Jun 19 2011, 10:42 PM)
Interesting to know that there is High Definition DVR arouund. It will be good if Media Prime is also embracing the same DVB-T system. I guesses we still have to wait & see as always.
Currently I'm still looking for DVR HD to enable me to record 1080i full HD football game from Astro byond decoder.
Any idea where I can secure one ?  Ignoring the Astro PVR, for cost cutting.
Thanks
Pinnacle's Movie Box HD, their website say it is HD but not sure it can record full HD or not.
and than for the video input connector, it has is s-video, composite-video, and DV but without HDMI
can connect it to astro byond decoder and record astro's HD programme? anyone using this product?

This post has been edited by tanhks: Jun 28 2011, 05:26 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
KSBond
post Jun 29 2011, 10:59 AM

QUOTE(NWR_77 @ Jun 27 2011, 08:38 PM)
What different between analog tv with digital tv?

What hardware to setup digital tv?
Walking through the electical store nowdays expose us with many selection of TV sets.
Leaving behind the old fashioned Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TV behind, current TV sets utilise Plasma, LCD, LED/LCD with Standard Defifition (SD), HD Ready & Full HD technology. TV set with SmartTV & 3D capability is the latest trend.

All in all, externally they looks the same, regardless whether Analog or Digital TV.
What is the difference between the two ?

The easiest way is to inspect its detail specification and look for the word built-in TUNER. Nowdays in Malaysia, if you can find the word DVB-T then you are lucky. It is a Digital TV. Else if you can only find word such as PAL, SECAM then it is Analog only TV. Some TVs might have both Digital & Analog tuner built in.

Asking the salemen may pose us with another problem. They don't even know what DVB-T is ? They don't even have TV antenna installed to do the demo. What they are doing is playing low quality pasar malam the so called DVD/Blueray copy of movie into Full HD 1080i capable TV. Try not to be fooled by them ... sad.gif

Without built-in digital tuner, you can still receive the digital transmission provided you have an external tuner or set-top box (currently not available in Malaysia), that process the signal, turn it into Audio/Video and deliver it to TV screen via HDMI cable.

Thanks

This post has been edited by KSBond: Jun 30 2011, 10:57 AM
bsl555
post Jun 29 2011, 12:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(KSBond @ Jun 29 2011, 10:59 AM)
The easiest way is to inspect its detail specification and look for the word built-in TUNER. Nowdays in Malaysia, if you can find word DVB-T then you are lucky. Iit is a Digital TV. Without built-in digital tuner, you can still receive the digital transmission provided you have an external tuner or set-top box (currently not available in Malaysia), that process the signal, turn it into Audio/Video and deliver it to TV screen via HDMI cable.
I reckon a wise consumer have to be smart, not buy blindly and brush up on the latest technology, details and what a new TV have to offer. Otherwise only to some degree of personal disappointment later on that expensive purchase didn't do justice. No Digital tuner...bah! blink.gif mad.gif
Yup, I did come across some sales fellas in some big chain shop who don't know next to nuts about DVB-T or whether the TV is DVB tuner featured. I had to ask for the remote and roll through the tuning menu to see whats available. In my case my 2010 model LG TV wasn't DTV enabled but luckily after some research I enabled it through the service menu (huge learning process and with trial n error getting to it. LG Malaysia NEVER gave me a proper answer when I queried them about it. Twice in fact. Never mind, its done. Ironically, recently accompanied a buddy to buy one of the latest LG smart TV and its got DTV enabled, although my buddy doesn't care about it, primarily for Astro and DVD movies. Thats the story for now.
I still got to climb the roof and align my antenna, its maligned now.
Qash-M
post Sep 14 2011, 02:04 PM

#FreePalestine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Ax0hQV408

RTM DVB-T for last month.
bahathir
post Dec 19 2011, 02:31 PM

Regular

If you are using GNU/Linux with compatible DVB-T card or USB dongle, you can use the attached channels.conf which I enjoying the DVB-T with Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid PRO (PCTV 340e) on GNU/Linux with Linux kernel version 3.1.0. Viewing and recording the DVB-T stream using MPlayer (svn latest).

I generated the channels.conf using this command.
CODE
# w_scan -c MY -X > /etc/channels.conf

Current channel listing

CODE

Music  Active            (0x0004) 01: PCR == V   V 0x0036 A 0x0034      
PELANGI                  (0x0007) 01: PCR == A   V 0x0033 A 0x0035      
PANGGUNG                 (0x0008) 01: PCR 0x0510 V 0x002f A 0x0030      
RTM 7                    (0x000a) 01: PCR == V   V 0x0040 A 0x0041      
TV1                      (0x0001) 01: PCR == A   V 0x0022 A 0x0020      
TV2                      (0x0002) 01: PCR == V   V 0x003e A 0x003c      
TV-i                     (0x0003) 01: PCR == V   V 0x003a A 0x0038      
Games                    (0x0009) 01: PCR 0x1fff        
KLASIK NASIONAL          (0x000d) 02: PCR == A            A 0x0025      
MUZIKfm                  (0x000e) 02: PCR == A            A 0x002d      
KLfm                     (0x000f) 02: PCR == A            A 0x002a      
TRAXXfm                  (0x0010) 02: PCR == A            A 0x0028      
AIfm                     (0x0011) 02: PCR == A            A 0x002e      
MINNALfm                 (0x0012) 02: PCR == A            A 0x002c      
ASYIKfm                  (0x0013) 02: PCR == A            A 0x002b      

Note:
1) The RTM 7 is same as TV2.
2) Renamve channels.conf.txt to channels.conf and put it to /etc

BTW: I already watching RTM DVB-T transmission since 2009. smile.gif
Wishlist: Pinnacle PCTV NanoStick T2 (290e) ; USB DVB-T2 reciever., With this you may to watch Singapore's DVB-T2 broadcast @ 720p, from Johor.

From the channels.conf, you can seethe broadcasting frequencies
658 MHz : Muzik Aktif, Pelangi, Panggung, RTM 7
674 MHx : TV1, TV2, ... and digital radio broadcasts.

Streaming:
VIDEO: MPEG2 704x576 (aspect 2) 25.000 fps 15000.0 kbps (1875.0 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit

TQ.

This post has been edited by bahathir: Dec 19 2011, 02:51 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  channels.conf.txt ( 1.94k ) Number of downloads: 68
bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 03:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

The single most essential matter to receive free to air DTV or analog transmission is a PROPERLY and QUALITY antenna system mounted on the roof of home. Nothing beats this in all the donkey years I've been moving home or DIY install the antenna system.
My current antenna system was installed with a full VHF and UHF Maspro Japan antenna system with mixer and booster system thereon the line distributed with splitters to various TV points in the home (provided by house developer). Its served me well since 1997, although recently I had to re-align the direction which was blown off course by strong winds.
Last I enquired, at Pasar Rd for DX antenna system comparable to mine (MINUS the booster system) is around Rm500+. About the same I paid for in those days.
This is near ultimate solution for practical and long term.
bahathir
post Dec 19 2011, 03:58 PM

Regular

Yes, good antenna may help to get good reception. In my case, I able to pickup DVB-T signals if I placed the small antenna which come with the USB DVB-T receiver, near the window, with the help of 1.5m USB extender. At my house, near Bangi and my office at Bandar Sri Damansara, have DVB-T coverage, and a small antenna is enogh, but, sometime the stignal still dropped. smile.gif.. DVB-T signal does not effect much by rain or thick clouds, where I can enjoy it, when my ASTRO receiver cannot get signal due to thick clouds.

TQ.

Added on December 19, 2011, 4:15 pmBTW, I love listening "KLASIK NASIONAL' digital radio, while working. smile.gif It is in 128 kbps MP3 stream, and I can record and use it without any convertion in between. Last year, the audio stream was at 192 kbps!!.

This post has been edited by bahathir: Dec 19 2011, 04:15 PM
bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 04:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Well, Astro works beaming down through clouds, whereas DVB-T works under the clouds isn't it?
Yes, people have different reception strength at different places and not all are exactly ideal, especially in crowded urban and full of high rise around homes blocking transmission signals.
I'm really hoping all TV channels go digital very very soon. I'm really looking forward to it, targetted 2015 is too long to wait. Damn slow actually. Its been quite flawless transmission most of the time.
The big question is lots of people have old TV's and cost of additional DVB box. Cost, cost...always a big question in Malaysia.

bahathir
post Dec 19 2011, 04:59 PM

Regular

Some high end LCD TVs have DVB-T option/module. But, I cannot find any model which has built-in DVB-T tuner, in Malaysia.

Yes, RTM starts DVB-T broadcast officially in 2012, and yes 2015, all TV broadcasts will be on digital. By the time, DVB-T2 or T3 will be the standard. smile.gif

This post has been edited by bahathir: Dec 19 2011, 05:00 PM
bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 05:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!

My LG TV 2010 model had DTV tuner built in but disabled. I enabled it. LG didn't want to divulge any info about it here for their own selfish reasons. Last checked with another LED model, its enabled. I think other manufacturers may have it but you must check with the company. I think most TV sales assistants in shops are ill trained about this DTV thing.
bahathir
post Dec 19 2011, 05:34 PM

Regular

And.... they can sell external DVB-T set top box (STB) seperately... eventhough the TV hhas the DVB-T capability. smile.gif Extra $$$ man.. smile.gif

340 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0821sec    2.59    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 11:53 PM