Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Digital TV Station Malaysia, How do I tune to digital TV station?

views

bsl555
post Jun 20 2011, 12:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(KSBond @ Jun 18 2011, 08:52 PM)
Hi .. I'm using LG Model SL90 LED TV (with built-in DVB-T tuner) and managed to receive the digital signal from RTM successfully.
I finally hacked into the service menu of my LG LD series (2010 model) TV to enable the DVB-T tuner and got it to work. Many models of these series seem to have the tuner disabled by default. If the DVB-T tuning can't be accessed, either its disabled or no D tuner. But mine got the tuner. Managed to tune and acquire some TV and Radio channels. Not bad at all but transmission are sill 4:3 format and no better than Astro picture quality. Certainly better than with the analog antenna reception. I believe its all trial run till dunno when.
I now have to look out to acquire a suitable DVB-T antenna as my existing terrestial antenna leaves a lot to be desired at this point of time. In short, its in shitty state.
Malaysia is SO DAMN SLOW to implement latest technology.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 20 2011, 01:11 PM
bsl555
post Jun 20 2011, 03:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ezlife @ Jun 20 2011, 02:30 PM)
How is the quality of RTM2 (and other channels)? Are they really in HD,ie, 720 or 1080p? Or just somewhat better than analog?
I mentioned earlier, no better than Astro, not HD, but being digital transmission, its free of noise and interferences frequently a problem with terrestial TV reception.
A movie (e.g. avi or mkv) at real 720p will far exceed the existing DTV picture quality at this point of time. Thats my current view.
bsl555
post Jun 20 2011, 05:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I think the digital signal in my area is very low, or just that I don't have a proper antenna for it. Working on something now.
Latest: Dug out an old twin telescopic antenna (from on an old portable TV set), soldered a shorth length of 75ohm TV coax cable, then experimented on optimum position near the TV. No time to drag a cable to outside.
Signal strength 3%, Signal quality >90%, wierd readings but entirely viewable without packet drop or other ills. I guess its highest signal quality that matters. I think my area is low signal. What to do? all this still experimental or beta, nothing definite.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 20 2011, 07:05 PM
bsl555
post Jun 20 2011, 10:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I just realised by comparing Astro broadcast and RTM DVB broadcast, it appears RTM DVB can be BETTER quality! Why? NON Astro Beyond set top box connects to TV either by S-Video (best PQ) or the common analog yellow color RCA (fair PQ). This is the limitation of the old Astro decoder. Astro Beyond have HDMI which is ideal so far. Latest LCD TV's are doing away with S-Video input and that leaves the RCA socket only which limits PQ greatly and NO way you're gonna get HD PQ from old Astro decoder. RTM DVB-T is DIRECT broadcast and received by your latest DTV set, no cables, direct and as good as it gets. Its up to them if they want to provide HD transmission. DTV is the way to go, no more the old ills of analog broadcast PQ, i.e. interference noise, snow, raster, ghosting or fuzzy pictures.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 22 2011, 02:27 AM
bsl555
post Jun 22 2011, 02:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!

The broadcast (in other words, delivery of digital media) may have technical similarities or like you say, same family. Nevertheless, its the end result that shows some difference for better or worse very dependent on the set top box electronics which may have limitations.
The Astro box is outdated and been around for so long as far as anyone can remember, offering only analog outputs or S-Video at best, no HDMI or Component output unless upgrade to Beyond package. I think DVB-S require a dish and LNB (much like the common Astro Dish) but DVB-T can work with a UHF indoor or outdoor antenna. Its critical that the UHF antenna is designed to cover the UHF frequency band required by DVB-T, thus simplifying simpler and possibly cheaper setup. LNB's and dish are NOT cheap in practice.
So there you have it, I see superior PQ in this DTV trial run so far. Not the very best but worthwhile and its free, provided your TV is DTV capable. I'm still looking around for a proper antenna, and pondering about problem of poor signal strength in my area.
I suppose, the TV to lookout for these days is a fully integrated TV with DTV, Analog TV, Internet/Network capable, Bluetooth ready, Wifi ready, USB Media Player all rolled into one for full potential. Have I left out anything? Don't tell me Windows 7 incorporated... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 22 2011, 02:29 PM
bsl555
post Jun 22 2011, 03:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(RAMChYLD @ Jun 22 2011, 03:02 PM)
One thing that just crossed my mind: What's the point of digital if the TV station only know how to screw shows over and cancel shows in the middle of a season?
Please bear in mind, DTV broadcast is UNofficial transmission, say beta test run and its FOC. Viewers are subjected to their whim and fancy during this trial run.
There's 2 DTV channels, Channel 44 & 46. You've to align your antenna to receive these 2 signal band transmission. Align wrongly and either you get none or one channel.
bsl555
post Jun 23 2011, 12:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I understand DVB-T2 is with extended perimeters and standards over DVB-T. Whether the broadcasters intend to use the perimeters that are not included in DVB-T, left to be seen, but I guess its not so soon, as full compatibility have to be assured. Unsure if latest TV's are DVB-T2 capable. It must be of utmost importance for everyone to receive the broadcast as long as the TV is equiped with DVB-T or add-on a set top box.
I'm also in the learning process, just foolin around with my DTV capable TV. Problem is I'm now believing the signal strength where I live is currently very low, that I've to explore the antenna issue to increase the signal strength. Ok...got time then tinker with it, otherwise its viewable for now.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 23 2011, 12:42 PM
bsl555
post Jun 29 2011, 12:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(KSBond @ Jun 29 2011, 10:59 AM)
The easiest way is to inspect its detail specification and look for the word built-in TUNER. Nowdays in Malaysia, if you can find word DVB-T then you are lucky. Iit is a Digital TV. Without built-in digital tuner, you can still receive the digital transmission provided you have an external tuner or set-top box (currently not available in Malaysia), that process the signal, turn it into Audio/Video and deliver it to TV screen via HDMI cable.
I reckon a wise consumer have to be smart, not buy blindly and brush up on the latest technology, details and what a new TV have to offer. Otherwise only to some degree of personal disappointment later on that expensive purchase didn't do justice. No Digital tuner...bah! blink.gif mad.gif
Yup, I did come across some sales fellas in some big chain shop who don't know next to nuts about DVB-T or whether the TV is DVB tuner featured. I had to ask for the remote and roll through the tuning menu to see whats available. In my case my 2010 model LG TV wasn't DTV enabled but luckily after some research I enabled it through the service menu (huge learning process and with trial n error getting to it. LG Malaysia NEVER gave me a proper answer when I queried them about it. Twice in fact. Never mind, its done. Ironically, recently accompanied a buddy to buy one of the latest LG smart TV and its got DTV enabled, although my buddy doesn't care about it, primarily for Astro and DVD movies. Thats the story for now.
I still got to climb the roof and align my antenna, its maligned now.
bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 03:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

The single most essential matter to receive free to air DTV or analog transmission is a PROPERLY and QUALITY antenna system mounted on the roof of home. Nothing beats this in all the donkey years I've been moving home or DIY install the antenna system.
My current antenna system was installed with a full VHF and UHF Maspro Japan antenna system with mixer and booster system thereon the line distributed with splitters to various TV points in the home (provided by house developer). Its served me well since 1997, although recently I had to re-align the direction which was blown off course by strong winds.
Last I enquired, at Pasar Rd for DX antenna system comparable to mine (MINUS the booster system) is around Rm500+. About the same I paid for in those days.
This is near ultimate solution for practical and long term.
bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 04:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Well, Astro works beaming down through clouds, whereas DVB-T works under the clouds isn't it?
Yes, people have different reception strength at different places and not all are exactly ideal, especially in crowded urban and full of high rise around homes blocking transmission signals.
I'm really hoping all TV channels go digital very very soon. I'm really looking forward to it, targetted 2015 is too long to wait. Damn slow actually. Its been quite flawless transmission most of the time.
The big question is lots of people have old TV's and cost of additional DVB box. Cost, cost...always a big question in Malaysia.

bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 05:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!

My LG TV 2010 model had DTV tuner built in but disabled. I enabled it. LG didn't want to divulge any info about it here for their own selfish reasons. Last checked with another LED model, its enabled. I think other manufacturers may have it but you must check with the company. I think most TV sales assistants in shops are ill trained about this DTV thing.
bsl555
post Dec 19 2011, 05:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(bahathir @ Dec 19 2011, 05:34 PM)
And.... they can sell external DVB-T set top box (STB) seperately... eventhough the TV hhas the DVB-T capability. smile.gif Extra $$$ man.. smile.gif
If that happens, I'd consider that deceit and a scam, but thats Malaysia for all.. too much of devious and deceitful minds at work for blatant profit. BAD!
bsl555
post Jun 26 2012, 03:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(RAMChYLD @ Jun 25 2012, 11:40 PM)
I read somewhere that LG LW5700 and LG LW6500 is supposed to have T2 tuner, but now the posts have disappeared.  hmm.gif
Singapore official website publish DVB-T only, no mention of T2. I had to hack into my dated LD650 to enable the feature, otherwise its non existant by default.
Still one up than any other TV make without D-tuner. blush.gif

This post has been edited by bsl555: Jun 26 2012, 03:44 PM
bsl555
post Apr 7 2015, 12:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Me was looking at Android box..someone said no good..is that so? I'm shopping for one that can play movies stored on HDD. Got one advertised here..not cheap!
I know my UHF antenna is good to go and optimum. Been receiving on older LG TV with DVB-T tuner. Any advice for good set top box?

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 7 2015, 12:18 AM
bsl555
post Apr 9 2015, 01:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Apr 8 2015, 11:14 PM)
http://advanced-television.com/2015/04/07/...e-away-2m-stbs/

In record time, can we pull this off? Hopefully so.
I think it'll be user cost to install a proper and optimized UHF antenna. The STB is only half the story, the antenna being the other part.
As for antenna, never buy those RM30 or somewhere at that price kind of antenna..they don't last. For a long time I have confidence in 2 brands that were available at Jalan Pasar KL. DX Antenna and Maspro. Both are Japanese products and suited for our weather. Unsure still available or not.
The bigger the antenna (more reflector elements) the better. If not mistaken, supposed to point to Gunung Ulu Kali = Genting Highlands or Bukit Sungei Besi (Cheras area?) for KL. These 2 transmission points have been there for many decades, never changed.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 9 2015, 01:59 PM
bsl555
post Apr 9 2015, 09:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Apr 9 2015, 06:12 PM)
The upcoming MYTV decoder has bundled with indoor antenna, for budget tier. laugh.gif
Indoor antenna do not perform as well as properly installed outdoor antenna.
Its a matter of acquiring best signal strength for DTV to stream with minimal or no lag.
It have to positioned and optimized as with terrestrial TV reception. Same with DVB satellite reception. The objective is the same.
All antenna have are designed with certain characteristics and ability to receive the signal highest possible, thats why there's different models, the those with more reflector elements would be most sensitive and highest db signal gain. Mine is a 10 element UHF type installed 15 years ago, still good because it was the best available. If chap ayam brand, it would have broken piece by piece and splattered all over my roof.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Apr 9 2015, 10:03 PM
bsl555
post Apr 20 2015, 02:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Any news on when the crossover? I already bought one DVB box..its working good on the reception, just can't wait till full crossover.
bsl555
post Apr 21 2015, 02:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(eMKs @ Apr 21 2015, 11:10 AM)
Yup! My guess is also not so soon. Its already about 4 years since I watched the trial DTV transmission. Trial still on. So blardi slow for Malaysia to get on the bandwagon. icon_question.gif
bsl555
post Apr 29 2015, 11:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ameri @ Apr 28 2015, 07:56 PM)
hope at least they could broadcast it in 16:9 SD.
Currently most in 4.3 format, that's why stretched. Many still with old CRT TV.. we're lagging behind for so long. Sigh!
bsl555
post Apr 29 2015, 01:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(bidara @ Apr 28 2015, 07:03 AM)
Siaran Ujian TV Digital sudah ke udara di Kuantan, Gambang, Pekan dan Kemaman. Siaran ini di terima melalui dekoder digital tv. Sekarang terdapat channel TV1, TV2, TV3, NTV7, 8TV dan TV Alhijrah telah di pancarkan dan lain2 channel akan di tambah kemudian....Bolih order sekarang DVB-T2 RM 160 termasuk pos (msg/sms/whatsap 0166547634)
user posted image
Wah! Kuantan dapat semua.. KL belum lagi, TV1 & TV2,TVi saja.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0954sec    2.12    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 12:57 PM