Guitars The Guitar Dictionary, What's a Strat ? LP ? Describe 'Em All

views

TSPix
post Jun 23 2005, 03:26 PM, updated 18y ago

Tube Glower Phreak
Group Icon
VIP
2,918 posts

In this topic, anyone can decide to make a explanatory topic on a particular kind of electric guitar model. I'll try to summary them in this thread. The point here is to provide a quick overview of the different kinds of guitars available in the market, knowing that there are probably less than 10 "families" of electric guitars (Strat, Tele, LP, SG, RG, ...)

Ibanez
RGT / RGA / RG (introduction by Headhunter7)
RG (details by Evo.Com)
GAX30 (by Metalhead)
RG (details by Ssslayerrr)
*new* JS1000 (by Pix)

Fender
Telecaster (by Led_Zep_Freak)
Stratocaster (by Led_Zep_Freak)

Gibson
Les Paul - Std vs. Custom vs. Junior (by Blacktrix)

Various acoustic guitars (in-depth ! by TheWacker)

"Metal oriented" guitars
BC Rich Warlock (overview by MetalHead)

Model : Les Paul
Brand : Gibson
Nickname : LP
Author : Blacktrix

Typically, a Les Paul is a solidbody electric guitar, which means that the wood inside is not hollow and is normally very heavy, thus giving it a "fatter" sound, which is very much sought after by blues and recently, Heavy Metal artists.

user posted image

Pictured here is a Gibson Les Paul standard. A Les Paul's characteristics is that it has a single cutaway (The part where it got cut-off) body. THere are on occasion a double cut-away Les Paul, but the most familiar Les Paul is the Single Cut away.

The Les Paul usually comes with 2 Humbucker pick-ups, although they can be changed. Note that it also doesn't have a Whammy Bar at the bottom, but rather a tune-o-matic bridge, which is the silver bar, second to the botto. The last bar is appropriately called a Stopbar tailpiece.

Other characteristics that defines the Gibson Les Paul is the pick-up selector switch located on the upper-left side of the body, and the 4 knobs at the bottom right, which are 2 for tone, and 2 for volume.

This post has been edited by Pix: Jan 4 2006, 04:40 AM
headhunter7
post Jun 23 2005, 06:04 PM

Armed Shredder
2,355 posts

Model : RGT / RGA / RG
Brand : Ibanez
Nickname : TEH FJOOKING SHREDDING MACHINE
Style : Any that you can think of.
^ well Ibanez RGs have 3 models

this one is the RGT
user posted image
This RG has the neck through, for people who doesn't want to have their hand blocked while solo-ing..

this one is the RG
user posted image
This has the normal bolt on, only with AANJ (stands for All Access Neck Joint) , which hardly gets in the way while solo-ing.

This one is the RGA
user posted image
This is the RGA , without the Edge tremolo.

From all of the above, i'd personally choose the RGT , but an RGA would be nice too..for my downtuned songs laugh.gif

This post has been edited by headhunter7: Jun 23 2005, 06:24 PM
led_zep_freak
post Jun 23 2005, 06:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

QUOTE(XCcude @ Jun 23 2005, 05:58 PM)
guitar is a guitar.. bible is a bible.. dont mix it.. dude... u mean guitar dictionary
It's just a metaphorlar, I don't find anything wrong with it.

If that's the case, are you saying we shouldn't mix guitar with God too???

laugh.gif
led_zep_freak
post Jun 23 2005, 06:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

Model : Telecaster
Brand : Fender
Nickname : Tele
Genre : Country, Blues, Rock. (Very popular for experimenting lately, tho!)

user posted image
Telecaster, then-named Broadcaster was Fender's first solid body electric guitar. Teles are famous for its bright sound due to the nature of their singlecoil pickups, especially the bridge which cuts your ears with its high treble frequency. The neck pickup, though, on the other spectrum of the world - sounds warm while the middle position provides a great out-of-phase sound.

On the downside, the contour of Tele (still is) wasn't designed properly & the body is basically a chunk of wood, thus sinking into your ribs when playing, making it barely a choice for beginners. Though, if much is spend on it, one would be rewarded as much as Teles are the sweetest guitars in the world. thumbup.gif

Famous Users : Keith Richards (Rolling Stones), Jeff Buckley, Radiohead (Both guitarists), Bruce Springsteen, John 5, Andy Summers (The Police).

Soundclips :
Neck Position : Led Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown
Middle Position : Solo of Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven'
Bridge Position : Any Rolling Stones riff!

Others : Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, Rolling Stones' Satisfaction, John 5's Sugarfoot Rag, the Police's Message In A Bottle & Radiohead's Creep (Tho Johnny Greenwood made some modifications to his Tele).

Had nbtd lol.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by led_zep_freak: Jun 23 2005, 06:27 PM
metalhead
post Jun 23 2005, 06:23 PM

Regular
1,672 posts

QUOTE(led_zep_freak @ Jun 23 2005, 06:05 PM)
It's just a metaphorlar, I don't find anything wrong with it.

If that's the case, are you saying we shouldn't mix guitar with God too???

laugh.gif
u mean me???? T3H Guitar GOD flex.gif .....wannabe..... biggrin.gif ...come on la fella, dun be so upset over some metaphor....chill out dude....

EDIT too late...zeppy took my review cry.gif

i reserve this post for: -

Fender Tele My Own Axe [Ibanex GAX30] ...who knows it better than i do? tongue.gif .....

user posted image

Model : GAX 30
Nickname: Horned Evil [tongue.gif just came to my mind]
Genre: Hard Rock, Metal and some say Blues ....

Specification:
Neck: Maple
Body: Basswood
Bridge: Fixed Bridge
PU Config: Humbucker - Humbucker
Control: 1 Volume , 1 Tone
Selector: 3 way [Neck, Both and Bridge]

GAX30 is suitable for classic, chunky hard rock tunes, you can't go wrong with the dual humbucker. With it's double cutaway, crystal cut basswood body, and lightweight body, the GAX is the perfect guitar on stage. [As taken from Ibanez catalog]

I would say it's a good choice for beginner who want something affordable and yet able to perform as expected. It's light and the neck is comfortable to grip, it's more rounded than RG neck. The configuration is simple and straight to the point, no need for adjusting the Floyd Rose (coz the lack of one) and changing string is just a matter of minutes as opposed to other Ibanez (RG and those with Floyd Rose). It's so simple that even if u srewed it up, u'll still be able to make it good again (just like i did tongue.gif).

The disadvantage is the PU is not powerful enuf.

Famous user:
metalhead (as in me, he who posted here tongue.gif)
John5 (i swear that Johny boy have one just like this when he was in Manson, he endorsed this model and have (still posses one in his collection) a signature GAX under his name...this is truly a fact, no joke)

This post has been edited by metalhead: Jun 23 2005, 06:43 PM
led_zep_freak
post Jun 23 2005, 07:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

nbtd again... tongue.gif Rough description of the strat (I wouldn't know how 60s & 50s strats differ!).

Model : Stratocaster
Brand : Fender
Nickname : Strat
Genre : Blues, Rock & basically everything else too (Strats are very versatile!).

user posted image

Possibly the world's most famous electric guitar, Strat were introduced by Fender after the introduction of Gibson's Les Pauls. Strats were spotted with a modern look - double cutaway, perfectly contoured body, a lovely 3 singlecoil-pickup configuration, a volume knob & 2 tone knobs. Not to forget the then-revolutionary bridge & whammy bar!

Strats are famous for its versatility & twangy singlecoil sounds. Because of the latter, strats were a popular instrment for modern blues guitarists. The former, tho give you an idea that strats could also be seen in metal gigs. The position of the volume knob means that violining effects could be achived easily compared to LPs and Telecasters. Plus, its design prooved to be popular among guitarists as it was widely copied by other manufactures.

The neck position gives a very warm bluesy sound (Suitable for blues soloing) while the bridge is bright sounding (Great for riffing!). The middle position is everything in between. Position 2 & 4 give the famous Strat out-of-phase sound, which is the highlight of the strat IMHO! If those weren't enough, the 2 tone pots should be on one's disposal for tone shaping.

Verdict, a very, very versatile guitar & great for beginners. Hey, millions of guitarists can't be wrong!

Famous Users : Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hank Marvin (The Shadows), John Mayer, Tom Delonge (Blink 182), John Fruciante (RHCP), those 2 blokes from Iron Maiden.

Soundclips :
Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, Stevie Ray Vaughan's Pride And Joy, Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, Jeff Beck's Nadia & Yngwie Malmsteen's Far Beyond The Sun.
post Jun 23 2005, 09:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,234 posts

QUOTE(headhunter7 @ Jun 23 2005, 06:04 PM)

this one is the RGT
user posted image
This RG has the neck through, for people who doesn't want to have their hand blocked while solo-ing..

this one is the RG
user posted image
This has the normal bolt on, only with AANJ (stands for All Access Neck Joint) , which hardly gets in the way while solo-ing.

This one is the RGA
user posted image

From all of the above, i'd personally choose the RGT , but an RGA would be nice too..for my downtuned songs laugh.gif
i know RGs wouldve suck without their necks but hey... they're not that bad tongue.gif

Generally older RG guitars are either fitted with the Edge, TRS or the Edge pro 2. Newer ones would be the Edge pro and the Edge pro 3(2005). The Edge and the Edge pro are considered tobe the better ones among those listed, mainly because its well constructed and it doesnt break that easily (vai anyone?)
These are highly reliable and most ppl even think that they're on par or even better than the original floyds ( well its pretty biased considering the fact that that group of "ppl" are all RG users)

Most of them are made of Basswood, which is quite light if compared to Mahogony.

Sound: Most ppl think that RGs are "metal" guitars, well personally i think thats just full of crap, the tone does not come from the wood of the guitar yo. Its like saying that strats can only be used for country and blues.

Pros:
Reliable. Very solid and playable.
Cheap? Well the higher end RGs such as the Jcustoms, prestige, Jems, JSs are all available to guitarist at reasonable prices(imo). You money really goes to the construction of the guitar itself and not the brand(not that much smile.gif )
Light. As ive said b4, its light. Wont break your neck thumbup.gif
Neck. Wizard I and II(most of them), thin, fast and smooth.

Cons:
Pickups. the Vs, Powersounds, IBZ Dimarzio. Well... some would disagree with me on this but they suck. Sorry if i offended anyone but dont just take my word for it, go and try it on your own or look up the net. With a neutral body such as basswood, its essential to have decent pickups (Kent Armstrong, Dimarzio, SD, EMGs, Tom andersons etc)
Finish. Man... im not sure if its only me or not, but the RG that i have chips very easily. For someone like me *ehem its not easy to "not" bang into something. I learnt this the hard way... only realise the few chips after a few days, yea pretty sad.

Hopefully this sums things up. Eventhou they're pointy but they're not metal guitars smile.gif

TSPix
post Jun 24 2005, 10:00 AM

Tube Glower Phreak
Group Icon
VIP
2,918 posts

Ok, I've updated the first topic... very nice job you guys ! Don't hesitate to "consolidate" current info about models if you feel like it. Will try to make it look nicer later also, dun worry.

Regarding the bible name... ok, if you feel like it's an insult to this religion, i'll change it. I guess if I had put "The Ku'ran of Guitars", that'd have been weird as well... (then we can start the debate about how western civilisation is now using the word "bible" not as a religious reference anymore, but as a common word wink.gif )
chiiill out....

TheWhacker
post Jun 24 2005, 10:28 AM

Group Icon
VIP
3,914 posts

Why all electric guitar wan ? .... Acoustic guitars can right ? ... i mean it's the "guitar Paradise" ....

How Body Shapes Affect Tone Production
Well .... the bigger the guitar, the louder it will sound (huh!) and, consequently, the body width and depth will produce more bass response. The difference between all these guitars is the depth of the body. Their scale lengths are standard 25.3" (643mm)

Model: GJ46SCE (Jumbo Guitar)
Brand: Fender
Body Depth: 3.87" (Front) to 4.87" (Rear)
Nickname: Big Mama guitar, Jumbo

user posted image

With bodies approximately 17 inches wide and 5 inches deep, jumbos are the cannons of the acoustic guitar world. Typically made with backs and sides of maple to recover clarity in the tonal spectrum ... wah .... These huge guitars can certainly fill a room, at alone a hall with sound.
But ... haha, guitars of this size and power are usually harder to record with, so, most players will choose smaller bodied instruments to make recordings and will leave the jumbos for their live performance.
Most jumbos are made of rosewood which produces a more mellow tone than maple and rosewood are very popular for their power and rich resonance.

Steel-string guitars with body widths from approximately 14 inches to 16 inches fall into categories known as
i) Concert
ii) Grand concert
iii) Auditorium
iv) Grand Auditorium

Model: GDC 100 SCE (Florentine Cutaway) Concert Guitar GC12
Body Depth: 3.62" (Front) to 4.40" (Rear)
Nickname: Folk guitar, concert

user posted image

Model: GC12
Body Depth: 3.5" Front, 4" Rear
Nickname: Folk guitar, Grand Concert

user posted image

The smaller concert and grand concert sizes accentuate the middle and upper end of the frequency range and because they lack deep bass response, these guitars are usually built with mahogany or rosewood back and sides to give them an extra warmer, better balanced tone. Keep in mind about maple bodies as these tend to be too bright and harsh.

Model: GA43SCE
Body Depth: 4" (Front) to 5" (Rear)
Nickname: Grand Auditorium

user posted image

Mid-sized Auditorium and grand Auditorium models bring the widest palette of frequencies and tone colours to the mix because all types of tonewood, various scale lengths and decorative appointment are used in these categories, along with many variations in body shape. These body sizes are generally believed to be the best guitar for tonal balance, clarity of individual notes and blend of chord structures. These guitars are the favorites of modern finger-style players.

Model: DG10
Body Depth: 3.94" (100mm) to 4.92" (125mm)
Nickname: Dreadnought Guitar, "acoustic guitar"

user posted image

Little history lesson for you guys. This body shape took its name from a battleship that was used during the early 1900s which is also known to be wide across it's mid section. The overall shape has been described as rectangular with a soft waist curve yielding a large soundboard and strong tone character across the full sound spectrum but emphasizing the low-mid range.
These near-jumbo sized instruments have dominated the acoustic guitar world since the 1930s and no matter whom the manufacturer, the width, length and depth of the body are fairly standardized with only a few exceptions. Hundreds of thousands of dreadnoughts are sold in the world each year and have in fact become what most people think of when you go to a guitar store and say "acoustic guitar"

Please correct me if any of these info is wrong .... blush.gif, Coz i did my own research before i bought my Dreadnought and this all the research i did

This post has been edited by TheWhacker: Jun 24 2005, 10:30 AM
blacktrix
post Jun 24 2005, 10:45 AM

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World!
Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

what the heck is a Falcon???

The only memorable guitar that Dave Grohl has was the see-through plexi glass strat style guitar.
andymillenium
post Jun 24 2005, 11:05 AM

Enthusiast
776 posts

QUOTE(chanti-sama @ Jun 23 2005, 09:40 PM)
what about the white falcon in foo fighter's -monkey wrench music vid?
U mean this ? ---> user posted image
xnobys
post Jun 24 2005, 04:55 PM

See me, Feel me, Hear me, You just ruined me...
1,220 posts

QUOTE(Pix @ Jun 23 2005, 03:46 PM)
ha ha ha... not my idea, not my text... thx modd and blacktrix (that's one amazing writer !) instead, those are the men.
in that case, thanx modd and blacktrix... you guys rule... as a matter of fact ALL of you rules....
p/s-Modd nice solo you did in improvisation. wish i could play half as good...
chanti-sama
post Jun 24 2005, 06:07 PM

Enthusiast
709 posts

QUOTE(blacktrix @ Jun 24 2005, 10:45 AM)
what the heck is a Falcon???

The only memorable guitar that Dave Grohl has was the see-through plexi glass strat style guitar.
I remember the plexi glass strat alrite.... but i like the one he had on monkey wrench video.

QUOTE(andymillenium @ Jun 24 2005, 11:05 AM)
U mean this ? ---> user posted image
yup that's the one. i think that guitar is worth a mention. smile.gif

xnobys
post Jun 24 2005, 06:15 PM

1,220 posts

any of you own or tried guitar with an active pu?
physical characteristic is fine but i'm more interested on the sound characteristic of the guitar.
superb explanation on LP but what about SG, Explorer, V?
ssslayerrr
post Jun 24 2005, 06:44 PM

Enthusiast
791 posts

this one is the RGT
user posted image

this one is the RG
user posted image

This one is the RGA
user posted image

Just want to add a few notes on the RG guitar.

1. Got the reputation as a shredders guitar mainly coz of its general specs and who was using it. Take a late 80ties, early 90ties shredder, big chance he was probably using an RG. Its specs, very big fingerboard radius (almost flat), wizard necks (on most rg, but not a rule though), jumbo frets, and the AANJ (all access neck joint), really makes it an ideal instrument for shredding. to quote Paul Gilbert, things are a lot easier to do on an Ibanez guitar ( his PG series is based on the RG)

2. To me, the thin necks make playing as easy as possible, giving you the most leeway, sort of allowing your fingers to "be all they can be". Talk about ibanez thin necks, youre talking about the wizard neck. At 17 mm at the first fret and 19 to 20 mm at the 12th fret, they are one of the thinnest necks around (new specs show the Rg wizard necks as being 18 mm at the first fret.)I love these necks, but none of my RGs have them, they all have ultra necks, which are beefier (19.5 mm at the first fret), so when you buy an RG, make sure it has a wizard neck, if thats what youre looking for.

3. I have guitars with both the AANJ and neckthru (ESP), and interms of accesibility to high frets, there isnt any difference between the AAJN and neckthru's. the AANJ is great. however, not all neckthru's are like that, some really give you a lot more access (like the neckthru developed by Stephen Davies, bolt on version is on Wasburn's Nuno signature series). Neckthru's have a thicker tone to me, and my guitar really resonate on the E note. Given a choice, i would take a neckthru anyday, but not because of access to higher notes.

Continue later
metalhead
post Jun 25 2005, 06:23 PM

Regular
1,672 posts

user posted imageuser posted image

Brand : BC Rich
Model : Bronze Warlock
Nickname: Warlock
Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and anything to kick a$$
Useful tips: Can be use as a weapon on stage, the angle on it's body can kill

Specification
Body: Agathis
Neck: Maple
Fretboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Adjustable
Pickup: Neck (Humbucker) & Bridge (Humbucker)
Control: 1 voulume and 1 tone
Selector: 3 way selector
24 frets

Local Distributor
IronWood
Kelana Jaya (near the old LimKokWing Institute)
Plaza Damansara, Damansara Heights
tel: 03 2096 2200
e-mail: enquiry.ironwood@time.net.my

The Warlock is basically a very mean looking guitar with very unique design, u'll look heavy heavy metal even if you're playing blues with it. The setup is simple and strightforward, with very RICH tone.

There are a few series from Rich that uses this design, some have Floyd Rose and some not, and other distiguishable feature is the Head Stock.

I personally haven't tried any of the Rich model, but based on Slipknot's Mick Thompson and Kerry King kick ass riffs, u'll figure out how this beast sound. It's more suitable for playing riffs rather than solo.

One of the downside of this guitar is that it's not as flexible as a Strat or a Les Paul, it was built for heavy metal and hard rock, so it'll not sound as good for pop or alternatives. Second, look at the design, does it look like u can use it for a church band??? and the body doesn't really look ergonomic, and might poke a hole on your rib cage....

Anyway, this is definately on my wishlist, i'll have this before the Les Paul coz this is more affordable.
xnobys
post Jun 25 2005, 07:11 PM

1,220 posts

QUOTE(metalhead @ Jun 25 2005, 06:23 PM)
user posted imageuser posted image

me want that!!! drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif drool.gif
the problem is that the head is much heavier than the body thus giving the extra pressure to you arms. heard that BC introduced a new design (the beast or something... ) quite recently.
xnobys
post Jul 3 2005, 06:33 PM

1,220 posts

went to woh fatt the other day. just noticed that LP has three models/version. standard, custom and junior. mind telling me the difference, anyone?
ssslayerrr
post Jul 3 2005, 07:54 PM

Enthusiast
791 posts

QUOTE(xnobys @ Jul 3 2005, 06:33 PM)
went to woh fatt the other day. just noticed that LP has three models/version. standard, custom and junior. mind telling me the difference, anyone?
yeah, expensive, very expensive and very very expensive biggrin.gif

im sure blacktrix will fill in the blanks for you
TSPix
post Jul 6 2005, 09:29 AM

Tube Glower Phreak
Group Icon
VIP
2,918 posts

you can fin all eplanations on www.gibson.com :-) the custom is super-expensive(custom built by Gibson best guitarmakers and from the best wood, etc etc.. they all have different special features), the standard is the "regular" LP, and the junior is... errr... cheaper. Forgot why, but i think it's flatter and the pickups are different. You have the Studio version also. Cheaper.
blacktrix
post Jul 6 2005, 05:11 PM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

There are a BOATload of Les Paul models, ranging from the classic 60's Les Paul which we all know and love, to Double cutaways (looks KINDA like a Gibson SG with less "devil" horns), the junior models (kinda like cut down version), specials (which replaced the junior), right up to the Customs, which like Pix said, is the Creme De La Creme of Les Pauls....

But based on the 3 you mentioned, I'll briefly explain them.

The "Standard" model is the basis on which all the Les Pauls were designed after. They use the standard Gibson pick-ups, standard wood, standard finish and the standard headstock. This is normally the Les Paul that everyone associate with.

The "Customs", before 2004, were built using the highest quality materials. It started off the first run as the "Black Beauty", which was pure black and gold hardware... and later, slowly evolved into the custom that we know. Last time, before 2004, you could buy Customs directly from shops, which were pre-made before hand. But after 2004, they ONLY sell the 2005 customs DIRECT from Gibson, which means you have to place an order with Gibson, and they will craft one to your specs, hence the term "Custom". The most famous weilder of the Les Paul Custom? (You all know THIS was coming), Zakk Wylde. His first guitar has been a Les Paul custom, and up to today, still using Customs.

"Juniors" were the budget models, before Gibson owned Epiphone. These were cut down versions of the Les Pauls. For example, you only had 1 pick-up, only had 1 tone/volume knob and used cheaper woods. However, because of their unique design, many professional players began to fall in love with the sound... Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day recently shifted to the Juniors. However, the Juniors are now part of the Gibson USA custom line, meaning that they are considered Vintage and comes at a high price, from what I'm told. Epiphone now makes Les Paul specials, which is basically the same as the Juniors, except with even MORE cost effective prices.

ANy mistakes/comments, please let me know. I'm just writting whatever I know off memory. Not doing legitimate research on this.
gizmoduck
post Aug 26 2005, 10:13 AM

Casual
323 posts

user posted image

Specifications: Pickups: 2 Humbuckers Hardware: Gold Scale: 24.75 in. Nut Width: 1.68 in. Neck Joint: Set Neck Material: 3-piece Maple Fingerboard: Rosewood/Block and Triangle Multiple Binding: Body/Neck/Headstock and F holes Body Material: Laminated Maple Top: Laminated Maple Finishes: Ebony, Natural, Vintage Sunburst

drool.gif One more week to go.. haihhh.. I hope my car doesnt cause any more problems as soon as I get the check.. I have 1500 left on the deposit haaiihhh... sad.gif

They say that this georgeous beauty is the epitomy of 'price meets playability'. I tried it at the store and it has a really warm sound with a notable crunch. Think acoustic plugged into an amp with a little extra gain. I haven't had the chance to model any other sound cuz I was only using a mini amp, But I'm sure if I could plug it into a Marshall it would have a more rounded sound. Will edit this post as soon as I get it! tongue.gif
xnobys
post Sep 9 2005, 01:53 PM

1,220 posts

i noticed that gibson's has these 4 knobs on all LP and SG. anybody care to explain what these knobs are?

japs guitar would normally have a maximum of 3 knobs (1 volume, 2 tone)
led_zep_freak
post Sep 9 2005, 02:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

2 Volume & 2 Tone, each pair's hooked to their respective pickups.
blacktrix
post Sep 14 2005, 10:01 PM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

Just reading through this one again.....
The 2 volume and 2 tone knobs that controls the individual pickups can be VERY useful. I still find it hard to go back to 2 or 3 way knobs like on the Strat.

I like to roll down the volume of the pick-up that I'm NOT using (Say I'm playing using the Bridge pick up, and I roll down the volume for the Neck pickup to 0). So, what I esstentially get, is a Kill-Off switch! When I want total silence, I just switch it to the Neck pick-up and voila! No more sound!
xnobys
post Sep 14 2005, 10:12 PM

1,220 posts

i think that's how morello did during wake up solo. he switched off one of the pickup and pick the string with rapid switching of the selector switch... or did he use some kind of gadget to get that weird on-off solo...
led_zep_freak
post Sep 14 2005, 10:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

Nope, he used a kill switch... a switch/button that would kill your sound instantly, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway you could achieve this effect by using a tremolo pedal. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
blacktrix
post Sep 15 2005, 11:06 AM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

If you watch Ozzy's Live at Budokan, you can see Zakk performing this feat during Crazy Train.

Really easy to do and quite impressive.
echobrainproject
post Sep 15 2005, 11:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
4,765 posts

now we know why u had to send ur LP to woh watt to replace the switch. lol.
evo.com
post Sep 15 2005, 12:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,234 posts

yea you can make a killswitch out of your selector if you have separate volume control
not recommended for those normal selectors you get with strats.. super strats etc....
best used with toggle switch selectors
blacktrix
post Sep 15 2005, 02:09 PM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

Yeah. Only Gibson style selector switches works best. But of course, the thing can snap off quite easily. Happened to me twice.
Once was just the plastic knob broke, and then the second time, the whole switch broke.
blacktrix
post Sep 15 2005, 09:45 PM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

No. But hopefully, will be getting a Bullseye Epi when I'm in the US next year.
Reload
post Sep 21 2005, 05:04 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

Can anyone tell me what a Fat Strat is?
evo.com
post Sep 21 2005, 05:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,234 posts

a H/S/S strat
Reload
post Sep 21 2005, 05:58 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

Oh. I wonder why they needed a nickname for that.

I don't suppose H/H strats have a special name?
evo.com
post Sep 21 2005, 06:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,234 posts

its not a nickname la...
its the model
headhunter7
post Sep 21 2005, 01:58 PM

Armed Shredder
2,355 posts

QUOTE(Reload @ Sep 21 2005, 05:58 AM)
Oh. I wonder why they needed a nickname for that.

I don't suppose H/H strats have a special name?
H/H or H/s/H if im not mistaken, is Double Fat Strat
xnobys
post Sep 21 2005, 05:30 PM

1,220 posts

is there any difference between fat strat and stagemaster aside from their name?
andymillenium
post Sep 29 2005, 04:56 PM

Enthusiast
776 posts

Can any pro here give me info about this model---->YAMAHA EG-112

blink.gif
headhunter7
post Sep 30 2005, 10:17 PM

Armed Shredder
2,355 posts

QUOTE(xnobys @ Sep 21 2005, 05:30 PM)
is there any difference between fat strat and stagemaster aside from their name?
Fat strat = routed at the front, pickguard on. (If you want the standard strat look)

Showmaster = Back routed, no pickguard, and some has 24 frets.
So if you want quilted / flamed maple and looks...stagemaster is for you, but
if you are a Jimi / Eric Johnson / SRV -wannnabe XD the usual fat / double fat / standard strat is for you.!

Choose!

EDIT : alamak terikut xnobys typing stagemaster,
its actually SHOWmaster! whistling.gif whistling.gif sweat.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by headhunter7: Sep 30 2005, 10:21 PM
tytons
post Nov 19 2005, 10:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,823 posts

QUOTE(blacktrix @ Sep 14 2005, 10:01 PM)
Just reading through this one again.....
The 2 volume and 2 tone knobs that controls the individual pickups can be VERY useful. I still find it hard to go back to 2 or 3 way knobs like on the Strat.

I like to roll down the volume of the pick-up that I'm NOT using (Say I'm playing using the Bridge pick up, and I roll down the volume for the Neck pickup to 0). So, what I esstentially get, is a Kill-Off switch! When I want total silence, I just switch it to the Neck pick-up and voila! No more sound!
hmm but if ur swtich is on the bridge pickup...it wont be reading anything from the neck pickup rite?

No. But hopefully, will be getting a Bullseye Epi when I'm in the US next year.

which of those in the pics below?
user posted image
led_zep_freak
post Nov 19 2005, 10:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,231 posts

QUOTE(tytons @ Nov 19 2005, 10:31 PM)
hmm but if ur swtich is on the bridge pickup...it wont be reading anything from the neck pickup rite?

which of those in the pics below?
Nope, unless you wire the pickups wrongly. XD

tytons, you'ill be whackerized for causing uncessary GAS to LYn members!
Anyway he's refering to the Les Paul on the far left. thumbup.gif
TSPix
post Nov 21 2005, 01:53 AM

Tube Glower Phreak
Group Icon
VIP
2,918 posts

------------
Model: JS1000
Brand: Ibanez
Nickname: Satriani's signature
Style: Overdriven leads, solos, blues & rock riffs
--------------

Finally, I'll give my piece of writing on that axe, after owning one since 4 years (and still going).
First, the purpose : Joe Satriani designed that guitar to fit his style, so that he could get the exact sound he wanted for most of his songs. The thing is that he used to play on a strat (a genuine fender one to begin with, and then a "ibanez strat" prototype, loaded with humbuckers) and he got used to that rounded neck.

So basically he wanted a neutral and even sound (like an ibanez RG) with a slight touch of vintage and thickness (like a Les Paul), with a round neck (like a Strat'), with nice cleans (Strat' again ?) and yet an ability to produce tight metal riffs along with a screaming vibrato (I'd say that they're both specificities of the ibanez RG). All in all, that fearless dude wanted to get himself a highly lethal cocktail of the best guitars from the 80's.

What's the result ?
user posted image

Chances are you won't buy a chrome platede one, but rather something like those:
user posted image

The JS1000 is loaded with a dimarzio Fred (bridge) and a dimarzio PAF Pro (neck) , while the JS1200 has got a dimarzio PAF Joe (neck) instead, and comes only in rather flashy red colour. The PAF Joe provides more highs, compared to the PAF Pro, and that's definitely a good thing. The Pro is slightly too dark sometimes.

The feel is great : in my opinion, the best part would be the neck : it isn't flat and yet it's not that much rounded either so all the legato and tapping and bends are pretty easy to do. But more than the shape, it's more the thickness that is unbelievable. It is so deliciously thin that fingers will run naturally on it, without any kind of exhaustion.
The body itself is super-light (so if you're as strong as a baby shrimp, you'll get along fine with it), mostly because it is very thin. The wood itself is basswood, which is among the lightest wood around.

And to end this review : the sound. As told earlier, it's neither a strat, neither a LP but it was intended to blend both of them. A strato-elpiccinno. As a consequence : it's none of them : a strat would have a much more piercing/biting sound, while a LP is much fatter.
I can't say the JS is in between, because that doesn't make sense (while I myself try to make some, from time to time). It can't imitate the strat perfectly, but it provides really decent cleans and single-coils sound (thx to the coil-splitting mechanism), that can be used for strumming or cool arpeggios. Combining both pick-ups in single coil can provide a lovely "light" crunch that I use for funky aggressive riffs.
On the fat end, it doesn't compare with a LP at all. A LP is just heavier, from all perspectives. Like comparing a modern body-builded wrestler with a sumo. The wrestler might be sexier, but the sumo is the real deal. The JS can definitely gets you on the metal track, but it won't give you the extra bottom Oooomph easily. It's tighter, sharper, it's different. But tuned accordingly, on the right amp (let's say a mesa boogie), it will get dirty.
When it comes to the overdriven leading part, or even the cleaner bluesy solos from the album "Joe Satriani", what you hear on the CDs is what you'll have with that guitar. Nice sustain, plenty of mids, the guitar is just singing like a human voice. I mean... you know what I'm talking about. It still a vintage sound (compared to a JEM sound for instance), but with more definition in it.

Retail price is about 7,ooo RM, perhaps less. Quite expensive, and I'm not sure it worths it, but you purposedly pay for the signature... visually and sonically smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pix: Nov 21 2005, 01:59 AM
TheWhacker
post Mar 1 2006, 11:33 PM

Group Icon
VIP
3,914 posts

Fender Stratocaster (credit to led_zep_freak, Wikipedia and Fender)

user posted image

Model: Stratocaster
Nickname: Strat
Genre: Blues, Rock & basically everything else too (Strats are very versatile!).

What ?

The Stratocaster is a model of electric guitar designed by Leo Fender in the early 1950s, and manufactured continuously to the present. The Stratocaster has been used by many leading guitarists and on many historic recordings: Along with the Gibson Les Paul and the Strat's older cousin, the Fender Telecaster, it is one of the most enduring and common models of electric guitar in the world.

user posted image
The headstock shape of the Statocaster is actually copyrighted.
That's why other "Stratocaster" copies cannot replicate its recognizable shape exactly.

The Stratocaster has been widely copied, such that 'Stratocaster' or 'Strat' can also denote a type of guitar, by various manufacturers, showing the same general features as the original (see strat copy). However, in many jurisdictions the word 'Stratocaster' is reserved for Fender guitars.

Where did it come from ?

The Fender Electric Instrument Manufacturing Company (now known as Fender Musical Instruments Corporation) developed the first commercial solid-body 'Spanish' (as opposed to 'Hawaiian,' or lap steel) electric guitar in the Telecaster, a simple design whose earliest models were offered under various names like Broadcaster or simply Esquire, beginning in 1950. Though the Telecaster and its variants were successful, many guitar players of the day insisted on using a Bigsby unit, a fairly primitive spring-loaded vibrato device with which players could bend notes up and down with their pick hand. Instead of adding a Bigsby, Fender decided to produce a new, more expensively-made ash or alder line of guitars with his own design of vibrato (see tremolo arm for more on the evolution of such mechanisms). His decision was also influenced by guitarists Rex Gallion and Bill Carson, who requested a contoured body to temper the harsh edges of the slab-built Telecaster; the new ash body design was based on that of the 1951 Precision Bass.

user posted image
Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock with a 1969 Stratocaster, a right-handed
model played left-handed, with the strings in the standard order relative to the guitarist.

The name, 'Stratocaster,' was intended to evoke images of newly emergent jet-aircraft technology (such as the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress), and to express Fender's modernistic design philosophy. In designing the Stratocaster's body, a significant area of the back of the guitar, and the area where the strumming arm rests, were beveled to accommodate the player's chest and arm. The upper bouts featured two cutaways, for easier access to the higher frets. The new 'Custom Contour Body' and 'Synchronized Tremolo' bridge made the Stratocaster a revolutionary design. The guitar also featured more complex electronics than the Telecaster: three single coil pickups, each with staggered magnetic poles; a three-way selector switch; one volume knob, and two tone controls. (A three single-coil pickup design was an innovation already in use by Gibson in their ES-5 model since 1949. However, Fender's pickups were much more compact.)

How about it's sound and playability ?

Much of the popularity of the Stratocaster can be attributed to its versatility. The neck, middle, and bridge (in the original manual, labelled "rhythm", "normal tone", and "lead", respectively) pickups provide a wide range of tones. The standard singlecoil pickups often found in Stratocasters produce a trebly sound with a high top end and bell-like harmonics. The Stratocaster has been used for a variety of purposes, from the classic "Fender twang" to the slicing solos of Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton to the fat, crunching tones in Ritchie Blackmore's "Smoke on the Water".

Is the Design and popularity still the same ?

In 1959-1967, the Stratocaster was refitted with a rosewood fretboard, as well as color choices other than sunburst, including a variety of colorful car-like paint jobs that appealed to the nascent surfer and hot-rod culture, pioneered by such bands as the Ventures and the Beach Boys. d*** Dale, the godfather of surf-rock, was a prominent Stratocaster player who also collaborated with Leo Fender in developing the Fender Showman amplifier. In the early 60's, the instrument was also championed by Hank Marvin - guitarist of the Shadows, a band which originally backed Cliff Richard and then produced instrumentals of its own. So distinctive was the Hank Marvin sound that many musicians - including the Beatles - initially deliberately avoided the Stratocaster and chose other marques. However, by 1965, George Harrison and John Lennon of the Beatles both acquired Stratocasters at about the time of the Rubber Soul recording sessions. It was Jimi Hendrix who widely popularized its use once again in the late 1960s.

The one-piece maple neck was discontinued in 1959; however, a maple neck with a glued-on maple fretboard was offered as an option in 1967. The rosewood fretboard over maple neck remained as the other neck option. In 1969, one-piece maple necks were again offered.

user posted image
Eric Clapton plays his signature model
at the Tsunami Relief concert, January 22nd 2005.

Many artists (including Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Mark Knopfler) discovered that the pickup selector could be lodged in between the basic three settings for further tonal variety; since 1977, Stratocasters have been fitted with a five-way switch to make such switching more stable. Other, often subtle changes were made to the guitars over the years, as though in the spirit of tinkering for which Leo Fender was famous, but the basic shape and features of the Strat remained unchanged. In the 1980's some popular guitarists began modifying their Stratocasters with a humbucker pickup in the bridge position. This was intended to provide a more suitable sound for the heavier music of the day. The popularity of this modification grew and ultimately Fender began releasing factory built models with a bridge humbucker option.

Players first perceived a loss of the initial high quality of Fender guitars after the CBS takeover in 1965. So-called 'pre-CBS' Stratocasters are, accordingly, extremely sought-after and expensive. In recent times, original 1954 to 1958 Stratocasters have sold for more than $75,000. Many now reside in Japan, cached away as collectible pieces of Americana.

user posted image
TheWhacker tongue.gif, with a 70's Stratocaster, playing at a
Tsunami Relief concert St.Andrews, April 2005

The Stratocaster fell out of fashion in the mid-sixties, to the point where the Fender company (Leo Fender had sold it to CBS for $13 million in January 1965) reduced its price and considered removing it from their production line. However, Jimi Hendrix and many other blues-influenced artists of the late '60s soon adopted the Stratocaster as their main instrument, reviving the guitar's popularity. Both George Harrison and Eric Clapton used Stratocasters in the 1971 Concert For Bangladesh, giving the Strat additional high visibilty in rock circles.

After a peak in the 1970s, driven by players such as David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, and Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, another lull occurred in the early '80s. During that time, CBS-Fender cut costs by deleting features from the standard Stratocaster line, despite a blues revival that featured Strat players such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray, and Buddy Guy. (Buddy Guy had actually been a Strat player since the mid-1960s, and is sometimes credited with influencing Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughan in their choice of the Stratocaster as a primary blues-rock guitar.) However, this lull abated once the company became independent of CBS, and a rise in mainstream popularity for vintage (and vintage-style) instruments resulted.

This post has been edited by TheWhacker: Aug 21 2006, 07:37 PM
TheWhacker
post Mar 1 2006, 11:40 PM

Group Icon
VIP
3,914 posts

Fender Telecaster (credit to led_zep_freak, Wikipedia and Fender)

user posted image

Model: Telecaster
Nickname: Tele
Genre: Country, Blues, Rock.

What ? Another Stratcaster ?

Nope, its a Telecaster. This guitar is a dual-pickup, solid-body electric guitar made by Fender. Its simple, yet effective design and revolutionary sound broke ground and set trends in the fields of electric guitar manufacture and popular music. Introduced for national distribution as the Broadcaster in the fall of 1950, it was the first guitar of its kind to be produced on a substantial scale. Its commercial production can be traced as far back as the spring of 1950, when the single- and dual-pickup Esquire models were first sold. From that time to the present, the Telecaster has been in continuous production in one form or another, making it the world's senior solid-body electric guitar (Duchossoir, 1991, 11-15).

user posted image

Same with its Stratocaster brother, the headstock shape of the Telecaster is copyrighted too.
You'll see other other "Telecaster" copies in various shops, but cannot replicate its recognizable shape exactly.

Where did it come from ?

The Telecaster was developed by Leo Fender in Fullerton, California, in the 1940s. But like many great ideas, the solid-body electric guitar was created independently by several craftsman and companies over a similar period (roughly 1932-1949), such that any claim of a 'first' demands a great deal of qualification. Leo Fender's Telecaster was simply the right guitar at the right time, and like many other great ideas, it began as an accident.[citation needed]

Fender had an electronics repair shop called Fender's Radio Service where he first repaired, then designed, amplifiers and electromagnetic pickups for musicians -- chiefly players of electric semi-acoustic guitars, electric Hawaiian (lap steel) guitars, and mandolins. Players had been 'wiring up' their instruments in search of greater volume and projection since the late 1920s, and electric semi-acoustics (such as the Gibson ES-150) had long been widely available. Tone had never, until then, been the primary reason for a guitarist to go electric, but in 1943, when Fender and his partner, Doc Kauffman, built a crude wooden guitar as a pickup test rig, local country players started asking to borrow it for gigs. It sounded shiny and sustaining. Fender got curious, and in 1949, when it was long-understood that solid construction offered great advantages in electric instruments, but before any commercial solidbody Spanish guitars had caught on (the small Audiovox company apparently offered a modern, solidbody electric guitar as early as the mid-1930s), he built a better prototype.

user posted image

James Burton with his signature model playing at "Elvis-The Concert"

That hand-built prototype, an anomalous white guitar, had most of the features of what would become the Telecaster. It was designed in the spirit of the solid-body Hawaiian guitars manufactured by Rickenbacker -- small, simple units made of Bakelite and aluminum with the parts bolted together -- but with honest wooden construction. (Rickenbacker, then called 'Rickenbacher,' had also offered a solid Bakelite-bodied electric Spanish guitar in 1935, many details of which seem echoed in Fender's design.)

The initial production model appeared in 1950, and was called the Esquire. (Fewer than fifty guitars were originally produced under that name, and most were replaced under warranty because of early manufacturing problems.) Later in 1950, this single-pickup model was discontinued, and a two-pickup model was renamed the Broadcaster. The Gretsch company, itself a manufacturer of hollowbody electric guitars, claimed that "Broadcaster" violated the trademark for its Broadkaster line of drums, and as a newcomer to the industry, Fender decided to bend and changed the name to Telecaster, after the newly popular medium of television. (The guitars manufactured in the interim bore no name, and are now popularly called 'Nocasters.') The Esquire was reintroduced as a one-pickup Telecaster, at a lower price.

Is the sound and playability the same as the Stratocaster ?

The Telecaster is known for its bright, cutting tone. One of the secrets to the Tele's sound centers on the bridge. The strings pass through the body and are anchored at the back by six ferrules, giving solidity and sustain to the guitar's sound, but some are 'top-loading'; the strings pass through the end of and terminate at the bridge instead of going through the body. The original 3-saddle bridge resulted in good contact between the strings and the solid body, further enhancing sustain. A slanting bridge pickup enhances the guitar's treble tone. The solid body allows the guitar to deliver a clean amplified version of the strings' tone.

user posted image

Muddy Waters with a normal American Telecaster�.
He is known for inventing the first modern rock band.

This was an improvement on previous electric guitar designs, whose hollow bodies made them prone to unwanted feedback, and which sometimes suffered from a muddy, indistinct sound. These design elements allowed musicians to emulate steel guitar sounds, making it particularly useful in country music. Such emulation can be enhanced by use of a B-Bender (B-string bending device co-introduced by Clarence White), enabling a smooth change of pitch for a single string within a chord.

What's so big deal about the Telecaster ?

The Telecaster was important in the evolution of country, electric blues, rock and roll and other forms of popular music, because its solid construction allowed the guitar to be played loudly as a lead instrument, with long sustain if desired, and with less of the whistling 'hard' feedback (known in sound reinforcement circles as 'microphonic feedback') that hollowbodied instruments tend to produce at volume (a different kind than the controllable feedback later exploited by Jimi Hendrix and countless other players). Even though the Telecaster is more than half a century old, and more sophisticated designs have been coming out since the early 1950s (including Fender's own Stratocaster), the Telecaster has remained in constant production. There have been numerous variations and modifications, but a model with something close to the original features has always been available.

This post has been edited by TheWhacker: Mar 15 2006, 05:36 PM
quarantined
post Mar 2 2006, 11:30 AM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

Great information. Keep them coming k... smile.gif

Note from pix : please avoid spamming here, k... smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pix: Mar 2 2006, 12:11 PM
blacktrix
post Mar 2 2006, 02:32 PM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

Please post your questions here: http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=164815&st=520

And welcome to the club......
TheWhacker
post May 1 2006, 02:21 PM

Group Icon
VIP
3,914 posts

How to restring a floyd rose.

QUOTE(vorchiel @ Apr 28 2006, 10:43 PM)
http://www.carvinworld.com/manuals/Original-Floyd-Rose.pdf

but after i lossened the saddle lock screw, i still can not remove the string. do i need to pull it vigorously? i afraid of damaging my guitar.. or is it like that? the lock box doesnt seem to budge at all..
QUOTE(TheWhacker @ Apr 29 2006, 12:10 AM)
floyd rose is a very tricky setup to adjust. If you get it wrong, the whole tuning will be out.

I suggest sending to a shop to tune the guitar and see how the pro does the tuning on a floyd rose.

Send it to the shop and let the pro do it for you. I rather pay �20 then paying �200 to repair the whole bridge of guitar. Here's why ....

Once, I came across a "seasoned" guitarist who thinking he knows what hes doing .... he adjust the floyd rose bridge went up so high till the whole thing just come out from the guitar ....

After watching the pro adjust the floyd rose, go ahead and try adjust them yourself ..... if you did something wrong or you want to ask a questions, at lest he's there to help you
QUOTE(strife_personified @ Apr 29 2006, 01:29 AM)
might have some help for you here. had lots of fun with my floyd-rose, and i'm glad that my first teacher thought me how some tips on how to do it.

first up, dont play with the rear tremolo cavity. i've learnt from my own itchified experience not to be a bum and do things without knowing what i was doing in the first place.

what you want to do is get a nice hard piece of card board that is longer than the breadth of the Floyd-rose (thereafter refered to as FR). now, using the tremolo arm, pull it so that the strings start to slack, and lodge the cardboard behind the FR, so that it stays at that height when you let go of the tremolo arm.

now, follow the pdf guide that you posted, remove all the strings, and all that stuff. thats all the same, so i wont repeat it here.

lastly, with the cardboard still in place, tune the strings till they are nearly fully tuned but not fully yet, then test the tension by removing the cardboard, and SLOWLY easing the FR back into its normal position.

now, i dont know if this is orthodox, but i generally tune the strings over and over til the ride height is correct, and its in tune, since what usually happens is that you tune the sixth string, then by the time you get to the first string, the sixth is out.

one method that i sometimes use is to tune the first and sixth together, since they are both E. then tune the other strings, while playing the sixth and first strings at the same time as a point of reference. once its generally in tune, lock the tune lock if you're lucky enough to have that, and fine tune the harmonics out with the FR itself.

hope that helps wink.gif and saves you 15 quid as well.

Lastly, to answer your actual question, you could try spraying a little WD40 into the lock box, just make sure that you don't drown it. try pushing it a bit with a screwdriver, those bums do tend to get stuck.

also, you can sometimes try to time your guitar string changes with your servicing schedule, so that way they can do it all at once. saves a lot of hassle sometimes.

PS: Thanks for the pdf manual. i've definitely learned a bit more from that than my experimenting.
QUOTE(Reload @ Apr 29 2006, 01:44 AM)
Floyd Rose setup is hard, but changing strings isn't really, once you've done it a couple of times.

Have you loosened the saddle lock screws enough? The lock block should be loose inside the lock box. (Not too loose, you don't want it to fall out.) You shouldn't need to pull too hard on the strings to remove them from the saddle.

Those are quite good instructions, actually, so you should trust them.

One more thing...instead of blocking your tremolo with the cardboard as described above, you can just change your strings one at a time. Of course, this means you can't clean the fretboard, but do you want to?

Good luck.
QUOTE(strife_personified @ Apr 29 2006, 01:49 AM)
i'd say clean the fretboard. doesnt hurt to polish the frets with some mild metal cleaner, and the wood as well. but do correct me if i'm wrong and it isnt actually good to do that.

but then again, it IS your first restringing, so your guitar is most likely in good shape, so you might still want to consider Reload's advice.
QUOTE(Reload @ Apr 29 2006, 02:01 AM)
I always, always clean the fretboard and the frets when I change strings, so I block my trem. But that's just because I'm fussy.  thumbup.gif

By the way, you can block your trem with almost anything. I use a wood block or a couple of bottlecaps. Just make sure that whatever you use won't scratch anything. When in doubt, coat with masking tape.

And use WD40 sparingly, because it's really hard to clean up from all the crevices of  the bridge and makes everything feel icky.
QUOTE(Everdying @ Apr 29 2006, 04:55 AM)
yea i tune mine the same way strife_personified said.
only instead of cardboard i stick a cloth under it, normally some old tshirt.

awhile ago someone actually invented some small plastic device just to specially stick under the floyd, forgot what it was called, but its definitely a waste of money.

and yea, i always clean and condition my fretboard with every string change.
More information: Stringing a Floyd Rose (with pictures)

This post has been edited by TheWhacker: May 1 2006, 02:25 PM
shiinkuro31
post May 19 2006, 04:12 PM

Chef of Straw Hat Pirates
1,259 posts

Can i review bout Matthew Bellamy's Manson guitar, since he is my fav guitarist

Silver Mansion

user posted image

-this guitar features a built in Z vex fuzz factory that can oscilate at any pitch and delivers some of the most extreme fuzz tones you will ever hear.
-also built in is an MXR phase 90 to create those swelling dramatic moments that have become part of Matt's signature tone.
-a Roland GK2a is internally fitted and a piezo loaded bridge installed to give him an acoustic tone(sounds great distorted too).

Black Guitar

user posted image

-took the concept one step further with more built in effects than you can shake a stick at this has to be the most versatile guitar in the world.
-the features include a Z Vex fuzz factory , Phase 90 , Fernandes sustainer circuit , Z Vex wah probe , Piezo bridge , and a revolutionary midi ribbon control to operate the Digitech Whammy.
-also fitted with Sim's custom L.E.D 's along the side of the finger board.
-mahogany body with a birdseye maple neck and rosewood fingerboard all finished in matt black.

7 Strings Custom

user posted image

-it features a thru neck with a flame maple top and an ebony fingerboard.
-two humbuckers and a piezo bridge for extra harmonic clarity.
-actually, not built for Matthew, but for other jazz guitarist who changed his mind last minutes and Matthew just grab it for his new song.( i think Citizen Erased)

Cracked Mirror

user posted image

-this guitar features 10 lasers all in all and they project out the front of the guitar bright red, which on a dark stage looks amazing!

-the guitar also has a visually striking cracked mirror finish that reflects the stage lights for a dramatic effect.

-the built in effects include a Z Vex Fuzz Factory, MXR phase 90, Roland GK2a pickup for midi applications and a piezo system.

-mahogany body with birds eye maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.Now refitted with Bare Knuckle pickups

The Bomber

user posted image

-started life as an all chrome guitar but because some of the chrome didn't take as well as normal during tour and Hugh decided to add some flashes of colour to give a kind of oil type finish which actually looks stunning.
-he also found some original B52 rivetts (WW2 material) from junkyard and put them in to complete the bomber as we know it.
-fitted with a floyd rose locking tremolo system for increased tuning stability during whammy bar madness.
-also fitted with a midi strip and kill switch.
-pickups are Seymour Duncan Hot P90 and Rio Grande Crunchbox.
-mahogany body with a brids eye maple neck / rosewood finger board.

The Mirror

user posted image

-this all mirror Manson was specially commisioned for the triumphant end of year shows at Earls court.
-the finish looks out of this world and was pain staking for Hugh to construct. -otherwise this guitar is relatively simple in the electronics with a Fuzz Factory and MXR phase 90 being the only internal effects.
-now fitted with two Bare Knuckle Mississippi queens for a bright cutting tone but with plenty of clout.

thats all, thanx.. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Everdying
post May 19 2006, 04:37 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

you know when you review you're not suppose to cut and paste from other ppl's reviews, and call it your own.

http://www.mansons.co.uk/show_feature.cfm?...43&CFTOKEN=6384
xnobys
post May 20 2006, 08:26 PM

1,220 posts

chill out guys... any contributions is very much appreciated, original or otherwise...
helps us enriching our knowledge on the thing we all love; music...

and this is what i stumbled across when i'm looking for the perfect setting for my BOSS FZ-2. it's taken from some indon's musical forum... (it's fjooking long...)

Gw dapet nih stlh ngubek2 file2 lama di komputer...

Heavy Metal
Devices Used:
I play through an ibanez ax7221, a randall rg100, and the boss metal zone

Sound Description:
NOTE: this is a heavy assed sound that my metal band plays under. Get more from the Web.

Settings:
randall rg100:
-gain = level 2
-low = level 3.75
-mid = level 5.5
-high = level 7.5
-master = level 2

metal zone:
-gain = 10 o'clock
-low = 4 o'clock
-high = 1 o'clock
-mid freq = 2.5 o'clock
-mid = 2.5 o'clock
-dist = 10 o'clock

-Justin Gibson-

80's to now Metallica
Devices Used:
Carvin Legacy 100 watt tube head matched with a Marshall 4x12 Vintage 30 loaded speaker cab or Roland Jazz Chorus 2x12 combo, Boss MT-2, 67' Gibson V with Seymour Duncan pickups or ESP EXP with EMG pickups.

Sound Description:
Basic building block for a Metallica type sound. Early Kill Em' All To the Load sessions tone can be achieved with this setting.

Settings:
MT-2
LEVEL:12:00
LOW:5:00
HIGH: 11:00
MID-FREQUENCY: 9:00
MID: 7:00
DISTORTION: 5:00

Carvin Legacy
Clean Channel
TREBLE 9
MID: 5
BASS: 3
Bright Switch Enabled

Roland Jazz Chorus
Clean Channel
Treble: 6
Middle: NONE
Bass: FULL

Jonathan Spradlin
redcapp847@aol.com <mailto:redcapp847@aol.com>

Death Metal
Devices Used:
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Marshall JCM 800
Guitar with a bridge humbucker

Sound Description:
Growling death metal kick-ass sound.

Settings:
Metal Zone----
Level: A bit over half way
High: Min
Bass: Max
Middle: A bit over 3/4
Mid Freq: 3/4
Dist: Over half way

Marshall---
Use the clean channel
Bass: 2
High: 7
Middle: half way

Start with those. Then adjust the sound like you want. First make the clean channel sound good if you plan to use it and then adjust the pedal. But anyway, I suggest to keep MID and MID FREQ settings like that.

Mika
mikaj@rocketmail.com <mailto:mikaj@rocketmail.com>

My Sound
Devices Used:
ESP LTD F-200 through the Metal Zone to the amp, a Peavey Studio Pro 112.

Sound Description:
Even sounding highs and lows and enough middle so it sounds good, but not to where it muddies up the tone.

Settings:
Amp: Low-7
Mid-1
High-9
Pedal: Low-3 o clock
Mid-somewhere between 10-11 o clock
Mid freq.-1 o clock
High-3 o clock

Tone and volume knobs all the way up on the guitar, level on amp and pedal as desired. If you're playing a gig and turn the amp way up, you'll get pretty beefy lows, so you may want to turn the lows down when playing at high volumes.

Mike
CommonIllness@aol.com <mailto:CommonIllness@aol.com>

Creed
Devices Used:
Fender hotrod deville set on treble;12 bass;5 mid;5
Esp Custom explorer with emg-85 and emg-81 pickups. On S.I.T. 9 guage strings

Sound Description:
It is a Creed sounding distortion. Sounds like mesa triple rectifier solo head. Good for any creed.

Settings:
Level: all up
High: 3 o"clock
Low: 3 o"clock
Middle: 10 o"clock to 10:30
Mid freq: 1:30 to 2:00

Kyle Meek
Jrtremonti03@aol.com <mailto:Jrtremonti03@aol.com>

Agressive Metal
Devices Used:
Ibanez Rg170 Crate GFX20...I cant afford anything big Boss MT-2 Metalzone...If you didnt no that shot yourself

Sound Description:
Agressive metallicaish type metal - GREAT MUTES

Settings:
High: all the way up
Low: all the way up
Mid Freq: NONE
Mid: 5 o'clock
Dist. All the way up

OR

High: all the way up
Low: 3 o;clock
Mid Freq: NONE
Mid: 5 o'clock
Dist. All the way up

Joe

Heavy Distortion
Devices Used:
Jackson Kelly Star XT, Laney TF300, Boss MT-2

Sound Description:
Heavy Distortion!

Settings:
High: between 2 and 3 o clock
Low: FULL
Mid: 10 o clock
Mid Freq: 12 or 2 o clock
Dist: FULL

Demonio Sangre

Agressive Metal
Devices Used:
I use my Marshall G30RCD and the Ibanez RG270. And the Metal Zone of course wink.gif.

Sound Description:
I use this setting for agressive metal. Actually it sounds great!!!

Settings:
On the MT-2:
Level: 12 oclock
Low: all the way up
High: 3 oclock
Mid. Freq.: 4 oclock
Middle: 4 oclock
Dist: 11 oclock

On the Amp:
Channel: Clean
Bass: all the way up
Trebble: 3 oclock

HAVE FUN!

Flo
Flo@Manowar.net <mailto:Flo@Manowar.net>

Green Day
Devices Used:
I have a fender strat with custom pickups and a marshall vs65. I use a monster cable and an ibanez echo box with it.

Sound Description:
It is like a when i come around with a little twist.

Settings:
I turn the drive up to 7, the mids to 2 and bass at 8 and trebble at 6. Then i just turn the gain to what is appropriate. The echo box i use i barely turn on to get more of a bass sound. It just adds some umph.

Mark

distortion (heavy)
Devices Used:
when i use it, i use a strat>mt2>marshall g80rcd

Sound Description:
very heavy pedal, too digital tho. I love the screaming leads tho

Settings:
volume 9 oclock
treb 4oclock and thirty minutes
bass 3oclock
mid freq 3oclock
mid none
dist up all the way (heavy dist) or 9oclock (warm od)

woodrow

My regular sound
Devices Used:
I usually use my Metal Zone with Marshall amps, my Ibanez RG420FA and Zoom 707 effect processor (or whatever it is called).

Sound Description:
The sound is the best possible I can obtain with this set of equipment. I use it at rehearsals and on gigs, it's relatively good for those situations.

Settings:
My bass and treble are usually at 12 o'clock, depending on my need for treble and bass, another equalizer setting I usually use is: bass at 2-3 o'clock & treble at 12-1 o'clock. My level is usually also at 12'o clock and distortion at 5 o'clock. Middle & mid.freq are at 2 o'clock.

Jarmo Puolakanaho
jape@iki.fi <mailto:jape@iki.fi>
<http://www.iki.fi/jape/jape.html>
Jape's home page

Heavy Metal Distortion
Devices Used:
I use a Digitech Whammy, into the Metal Zone, into a Dunlop Wah, to my crappy Peavey Rage 158 amp. This setting is just forthe metal zone though.

Sound Description:
This gets a good all around heavy metal sound good for Slayer, old Metallica, Pantera, etc...

Settings:
Turn the Level knob to wherever you want it. (up a lot is good)

Turn the Low knob all the way up. Turn the High knob to 3 o'clock. Turn the Mid Freq knob to about 1 o'clock. Turn Middle to about 11 o'clock. For a more death metal distortion you can turn Middle all the way down and play with the Mid Freq knob to find what you like.

Dan Neufeldt
Madhatter000@hotmail.com <mailto:Madhatter000@hotmail.com>

Death Metal
Devices Used:
BC Rich Bich, MT2, and Marshall Valvestate 8240.

Sound Description:
Awesome death metal tone in the wake of Suffocation.

Settings:
Using the BC Rich Bich with Dimarzio Super Distortions into MT2 set at,

Level:12o'clock
Hi:12o'clock
Lo:3o'clock
Mid:cut
Mid Freq:10o'clock

Distortion:max
Then MT2 into Valvestate 8240 with boost channel on OD1 and eq set at,
Gain:4
Bass:10
Mid:3
Treble:8
Contour:10
Channel Volume:8

Gary
SkitsofranticLD25@go.com <mailto:SkitsofranticLD25@go.com>

Trash Metal
Devices Used:
Jackson DK-2, Marshall JCM-900 model 4500 Head + Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12 Celestion cabinet, Boss CH-1, Boss Ge-7, Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 Wah-Wah

Sound Description:

Settings:
This settings are for a fantastic trash metal sound like a bit like 'Kill 'em All' from Metallica.

Settings: MT-2 settings:
High : 12 o'clock
Low : 3 o'clock
Middle : 8 o'clock
Mid. Freq. : 10 o'clock
Dist : 12 o'clock

Amp settings:
I Use Channel A
Presence : 5
Bass : 8
Middle : 2
Treble : 6

Jeroen Schlaman
j.a.schlaman@st.hanze.nl <mailto:j.a.schlaman@st.hanze.nl>
<http://go.to/monastery>
My band.. Black/Death/Trash/Heavy metal from Holland..

Death Metal
Devices Used:
BC Rich Bich w/ SD Invader bridge HB and SD Jazz neck HB, Metal Zone, Boss NS-2, Marshall 8240.

Sound Description:
Indescribable death metal, but it is the distorted sound and the tone I've always wanted.

Settings:
Marshall 8240:
Boost channel on OD1
gain-1
bass-max, but at higher volumes I turn it down to 7
mid-3
treble-6.5
contour-8

boost channel volume-max

master volume-whatever you prefer, but I wouldn't turn it up past because the stock speakers can't handle the complete load. If you get new speakers preferably celestions then it should be better at higher volumes.

Metal Zone:
level-10 o'clock
low-3 o'clock
hi-12 o'clock
mid freq-10 o'clock
mid-cut
dist-max

Schizo
SkitsofranticLD25@go.com <mailto:SkitsofranticLD25@go.com>

Iron Maiden sound
Devices Used:
Les Paul Custom fitted with an EMG-81 in the bridge with a Metalzone trough a Laney LC-15

Sound Description:
A good setting for any Iron Maiden up to Powerslave where lots of mids are used, especially Piece of Mind.

Settings:
On the metalzone:
Level: Any
Low: Max
High: Cut
Middle: about 8
Dist: almost max

On the amp:
Gain: 7
Bass: Max
Mid: 8
Treble: 2
Volume: any

Per
per.hall@karlstad.mail.telia.com <mailto:per.hall@karlstad.mail.telia.com>

Screaming Bubbly Death Metal
Devices Used:
B.C.Rich Bich '88 NJ Series with DiMarzio Super Distortions and Kahler Flyer single locking bridge, Marshall Valvestate 8240, Boss Noise Suppresor.

Sound Description:
Suffocation-ish death metal distortion

Settings:
Level:matched w/ clean channel
Hi:12o'clock
low:3
mid:cut
mid freq:between 10 and 11
I set the clean channel eq to
bass:12o'clock
mid:9
treble:3

I run the MT-2 through the NS-2's loop.

Wolverine
siamesescreams@hotmail.com <mailto:siamesescreams@hotmail.com>

Heavy!
Devices Used:
Korean Fender Squier, Metal Zone, Meteoro RX100 (brazilian amp)

Sound Description:
Heavy sound, good for sepultura & other stuff

Settings:
Amp settings: Gain:0, Volume: half, treble:9 o'clock, mids: 9 o'clock, bass: 3 o'clock

MT-2: Level: max, treble: 1 o'clock, bass:3 o'clock, mid: 9 o'clock, mid freq: 9 o'clock.

Guga

death metal distortion
Devices Used:
B.C.Rich Bich, MT-2, Marshall Valvestate 8240

Sound Description:
Suffocation (Pierced From Within album)

Settings:
Metal Zone:
level: balance to clean channel gain volume
High: 12 o'clock
Low: 3 o'clock
Mid: cut
Mid Frequency: 10 o'clock

Amplifier (I'm going off settings on the Marshall Valvestate 8240, so if it doesn't sound right on a different amp then don't cry and whine that the setting sucks, because this pedal reacts differenlty to differenr guitars, amps and effects in the chain)

On clean channel:
Gain:11 o'clock
Bass:12 o'clock
Middle:9 o'clock
Treble:3 o'clock

Like I said before if it doesn't sound right with your amp set at this, then mess around with your amps eq, because the settings of the pedal are right on dead with the sound of Suffocation)

Gary
siamesescreams@hotmail.com <mailto:siamesescreams@hotmail.com>

Slayer and Metallica Sound
Devices Used:
I gotta kh-2 and a jackson "v" series i use a mesa boogie amp ( half stack ) i also gotta chorus pedal to gimme some wacked out sounds and EQ pedal to gimme excellant tone

Sound Description:
heavy very heavy

Settings:
level: at least 12:00
high: 3:00
low:all the way up
mid: all the way down
mid frequency:about 1:00 (exactly across from the mid.)

Tom

Deftones Sound
Devices Used:
Mesa Boogie amp ( half stack )

Sound Description:
Sounds like the deftones tone

Settings:
level: half way or more(12:00)
low: 3:00
high: half way (12:00)
mid: half way (12:00)
mid frequency: 9:00
distortion: 12 - 3:00 which ever u like better

Tom

Warm Overdrive
Devices Used:
Peavey Solid State Amp

Sound Description:
Marshall Amp with light overdrive.

Settings:
Level- 2:00
High- 11:00
Low- max
Middle- 11:00
Mid Freq- 3:00
Dist- 8:00

Jim Cim

Neil Young: Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Devices Used:
Works best for Gibson mics.

- Any amp you like, I find 10w Yamaha best (believe or not).
- Bass, Treple & Gain to 3.00-5.00 o,clock.
- Midle to 9.00 o�clock.

Sound Description:
Muddy and good Neil Young sound.

Settings:
Level: 2-3 o�clock
High: 11-12 o�clock
Low: Max
Mid: 11 o�clock or whatever you like
Mid Req: 12 o�clock or whatever you like
Dist: 12-5 o�clock

Hanzu
hanzu_metal_machine@hotmail.com <mailto:hanzu_metal_machine@hotmail.com>

Metal
Devices Used:
Using an Ibanez RG680(japan) with a Peavey Rage amp.

Sound Description:
Crunchy and the heaviest and clear sounding distortion i came up with...give it a shot u will like it.

Settings:
low:max
high:2:30
mid:2:45
mid freq:2

Kai

Warm
Devices Used:
Samick SG into the MT-2 to a Crate GX-30M amp.

Sound Description:
Very warm tone, with a good bit of bass

Settings:
Level: 11 o'clock
HIgh: 3 o'clock
Low: 5 o'clock
Mid: 12 o'clock
Mid Freq: 12 o'clock
Dist: 9 o'clock

Jeff

Heavy Metal
Devices Used:
Marshall VS100R 1x12 combo amplifier and Epiphone Special II Model

Sound Description:
The heaviest distortion I could get out of this box. Switch inbetween your neck and bridge pickup, both sound good, just one might be more of what your after. Sounds like Metallica.

Settings:
Level : Anything, but a higher level gives for better sounding distortion on this box
Low : Max
Mid : 0
High : Max
Mid Frequency : 12 o'clock
Distortion : Max

Mike
Stone431@aol.com <mailto:Stone431@aol.com>

Loud
Devices Used:
A guitar and an amp, and the pedal(of course wink.gif

Sound Description:
It sounds really deep with lots of bass. Turn the volume on your guirtar all the way up to maximize the effect. It's a really thick tone and I like it. I have some other settings that I might post later. Oh, this also sounds better if you're tuned down to like Drop D or anything else tuned down. I use a similar setting to this to play some Pumpkins stuff like Today.

Settings:
on the pedal:

Level- turn this up to at least 12:00, higher if you want it louder.
Low- all the way up!
High- leave it at 12:00 or if you want a slight high range boost, put it at about 1:00
Mid freq.- put this between 10:00 and 11:00
Mid- turn this all the way down
Dist- put this on 12:00

Sib

My Own Prison
Devices Used:
I use Les Paul running through a Boss MT-2 into a Crate GX-65.

Sound Description:
For a "My Own Prison" by Creed sound.

Settings:
level- 12:30
low- all the way up
high- 3:00 to 5:00
mid freq- all the way up
mid- all the way down
dist- approx. 9:00

Hope you dig this. For the solo, just switch on a chorus pedal. My name is Judson Lewis, so if you use this on your page, I'd really appreciate getting credit for coming up with the settings. Thank you for your time.

Judson Lewis
mlewis@beta.jesupnet.com <mailto:mlewis@beta.jesupnet.com>

punk,thrash,grunge
Devices Used:
fender srat with alnico 2 bridge humbucker, Boss metal zone, DOD ice box stereo chorus, squier 15 practice amp

Sound Description:
You can get a major kick ass thrash sound out of this small setup. you can also turn down the distortion and kick up the mid-range for alot of nirvana sounds.

Settings:
thrash: for metal zone

level: at about 2 o'clock
low and high: turned all the way up
mid-range outside: 12 o'clock
mid inside: all the way down
distortion: at 3 0'clock

Nirvana sound: for metal zone (although kurt used the DS-1 distortion, the metal zone still delivers because of its punchy mid-range

level: at 3 o'clock
low and high: all the way up
middle: both all the way up
distortion: 12 o'clock

c.m. brandle

Driving Sound
Devices Used:
To get this sound I use a Fender Champion 110 and a Boss Mt-2 (Metal Zone) pedal.

Sound Description:
This sound is good for almost any song, especially grunge and anything that sounds similar to Nirvana. Also, if this sound does not fit your style, turn everything up and you will get a sound similar to the one 311 uses on the song "down".

Settings:
Fender Champion 110:

volume: variable
drive channel: off
equalizer: all the same
reverb: either 0 or 10 depending on the song

Boss MT-2:

level: 8:30 to 9 o'clock
high: 3 to 4 o'clock
low: all the way up
mid: all the way up
mid freq: all the way up
distortion: 1 o'clock

blazer

Killer Metal
Devices Used:
Marshall Valvestate VS100R, Fender Strat with Duncan Hotrails Pickup in front and rear position

Sound Description:
Fit for both Thrash and Classic metal.

Settings:
Marshall Valvestate VS100R
OD2 channel
tone controls & contour : 12o'clock
gain : 7 o'clock? (not to overdrive)
reverb & master : as you wish
power dimension : off

MT2
Level : 1 o'clock
Bass : 3 o'clock
Treble : 1 o'clock
Mid Freq : 1 o'clock
Mid : 12:30
Dist : 11 o'clock

Park, Jong-ku

Sound Description: General Metallica Sound.

Settings:
Level : 10'o clock
High : 10'o clock
Low : 5'o clock
Middle : 5'o clock
Mid Freq : 5'o Clock
Dist : 1'o clock

Joe
leech@webexpress.net.au <mailto:leech@webexpress.net.au>

shiinkuro31
post May 22 2006, 12:45 PM

Chef of Straw Hat Pirates
1,259 posts

you know when you review you're not suppose to cut and paste from other ppl's reviews, and call it your own.

http://www.mansons.co.uk/show_feature.cfm?...43&CFTOKEN=6384

QUOTE(j05h @ May 19 2006, 10:59 PM)
Maybe he wrote for Manson's site, too tongue.gif
Hugh said that he never release other than Matt's guitar,if u can find any Manson guitar in malaysia, ill take back my post..u sure talk with ur @$$, bros!! i just want to share some information here but i forget to credit the Manson site, i would like to apologise then..

xnobys, thanx for post, ill sure try next time i jamm with my fren..
TSPix
post May 22 2006, 01:15 PM

Tube Glower Phreak
Group Icon
VIP
2,918 posts

u sure talk with ur @$$, bros!!

shiikuro... cool down, as far as i understand it, the only concern is about you copy/paste material from another site and "forgetting" to credit it for it. No big deal... Nobody said anything about Hugh wink.gif
TheWhacker
post May 22 2006, 02:51 PM

Group Icon
VIP
3,914 posts

All unnecessary posts have been deleted. This is the forum's Guitar Dictionary, so post something that's is important for all of us to read and refer to.

-Posts Deleted-

ggoo
post Jan 17 2007, 07:37 PM

Casual
483 posts

guitar fretboard with rosewood or maplewood is better??
Equilibrium777
post Feb 16 2007, 05:17 PM

Regular
1,228 posts

Rosewood Necks tend to give a warmer, round sounding tone.
Most standard guitars come with a rosewood neck.

Maple necks are edgier and have more bite and twang to the highs. Maple necks tend to be clearer too as opposed to the rosewood.

All goes down what songs you play and the tone you're after.
ggoo
post Mar 10 2007, 07:28 PM

Casual
483 posts

hey what the difference bettween set neck and bolt on??
Banzai_san
post Mar 10 2007, 08:41 PM

Samurai Spirit
1,185 posts

QUOTE(ggoo @ Mar 10 2007, 07:28 PM)
hey what the difference bettween set neck and bolt on??

Articles on neck constructions... (bolt-on, bolt-in, set neck, neck thru body, deep set neck, etc)
1) http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech...onstruction.htm
2) http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech.../neck_tenon.htm

additional readings :-
1) Direct Coupling pickups (pickups mounted directly on the neck's wood)
http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech.../directcoup.htm
2) Neck joints myths
http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech...untingMyths.htm

This post has been edited by Banzai_san: Mar 10 2007, 08:44 PM
panty69
post Mar 20 2007, 11:41 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(Banzai_san @ Mar 10 2007, 08:41 PM)
Articles on neck constructions... (bolt-on, bolt-in, set neck, neck thru body, deep set neck, etc)
1) http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech...onstruction.htm
2) http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech.../neck_tenon.htm

additional readings :-
1) Direct Coupling pickups (pickups mounted directly on the neck's wood)
http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech.../directcoup.htm
2) Neck joints myths
http://www.edromanguitars.com/newsite/tech...untingMyths.htm
I don't know but I prefer bolt-ons because somehow those bolts convince me that the neck is strongly fixated to the body. Set-necks makes me sweat sweat.gif , I'm scared someday the neck will just fall off. I think I'm crazy.
toccatina
post Apr 21 2008, 09:40 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

I'm a newbie. what is the difference between a normal guitar and an acoustic guitar? I just wanna learn to play a normal guitar. advice?
blacktrix
post Apr 22 2008, 12:04 AM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

Ok.... I think you got a few terms mixed up. Hang on while I try to Explain.....

An Acoustic guitar, is a guitar that doesn't require a separate amplifier to produce sound and does so naturally. It's further divided into 2 main categories:
Folk Guitar:
user posted image

And the Classical Guitar:
user posted image

And Electric guitar, is a guitar that requires amplification (ie: Connected to a speaker) to re-produce sound...

user posted image

Again, I'm putting this in simplest terms.

toccatina
post Apr 22 2008, 12:57 AM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(blacktrix @ Apr 22 2008, 12:04 AM)
Ok.... I think you got a few terms mixed up. Hang on while I try to Explain.....

An Acoustic guitar, is a guitar that doesn't require a separate amplifier to produce sound and does so naturally. It's further divided into 2 main categories:
Folk Guitar:
user posted image

And the Classical Guitar:
user posted image

And Electric guitar, is a guitar that requires amplification (ie: Connected to a speaker) to re-produce sound...

user posted image

Again, I'm putting this in simplest terms.
so for a newbie, safer to settle down on a classical guitar?
SweetTooth
post Apr 22 2008, 01:17 AM

2,650 posts

^
depends on your musical taste and direction.
what kind of songs you want to play?
toccatina
post Apr 22 2008, 01:34 AM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(SweetTooth @ Apr 22 2008, 01:17 AM)
^
depends on your musical taste and direction.
what kind of songs you want to play?
I think acoustic guitar sounds nice ^^ the one YUI plays? but I wanna learn from scratch. so taking classical or acoustic?
sean392
post Apr 22 2008, 07:01 AM

Hirano Aya-Tard
6,339 posts

Acoustic. Folk Acoustics will do you good.
blacktrix
post Apr 22 2008, 08:37 AM

Group Icon
VIP
13,063 posts

Yup. I would start off with Folk Acoustic as well.
It strengthens your fingers and your chords will be better in the future.
supercolossal
post Apr 22 2008, 10:03 AM

On my way
620 posts

+1 I started off with the acoustic guitar too.
It's nice when you can play and sing along to your favourite songs. That is good enough motivation to keep you interested.
toccatina
post Apr 22 2008, 01:51 PM

Getting Started
226 posts

QUOTE(supercolossal @ Apr 22 2008, 10:03 AM)
+1 I started off with the acoustic guitar too.
It's nice when you can play and sing along to your favourite songs. That is good enough motivation to keep you interested.
acoustic guitar then! thanks yeah!
strife01
post Apr 27 2008, 03:14 AM

Getting Started
158 posts

hi, i just taking a few steps forward in guitar world. how do u all actually take care of your guitar =x. i meant how to maintain the humidity and stuffs...

vc12xan
post Jun 7 2008, 12:59 AM

45 posts

i started classical guitar straight haha
Ah Shawn
post Jun 25 2008, 03:18 PM

On my way
512 posts

QUOTE(strife01 @ Apr 27 2008, 03:14 AM)
hi, i just taking a few steps forward in guitar world. how do u all actually take care of your guitar =x. i meant how to maintain the humidity and stuffs...
usually if ure nt playin ur gitar u shd keep it in a gitar bag 2 prevent the moisture n air from rusting ur frets strings, pickups n all dat metal stuff on ur gitar.n oso u shd send it once every mebe say 2-3 mnths for servicing at a shop or service it urself which is wa t i do.my 2cents
danielle_brandon
post Jul 9 2008, 04:11 PM

Getting Started
236 posts

i started with acoustic folk as well. now moving on to electric. wink.gif
ameerfirdaus
post Aug 14 2008, 03:03 PM

45 posts

lot of kids bought a kapok classical guitar to play pop songs nowadays (hei i was one either)

did play acoustic guitar after that.

now i played electric guitar either. started with Aria HSS, then an SX Les Paul and now got myself a Squire Tele after the neck of my SX break.
rarely touch my acoustic guitar since then. figured out my Tele was quite bright sounding and the tonal range was big either.
the magic of the single coils pickup were there too.

but my only complain is that the power chords when i played on the distortion was not as fat as the les paul.
is that usual problem with a single coil guitar? i played on DS-1.
Now had to play with both amplifier distortion and the DS-1 to get the gain i wanted.
Comment?

jejari7
post Aug 14 2008, 05:39 PM

Casual
385 posts

QUOTE(ameerfirdaus @ Aug 14 2008, 03:03 PM)
lot of kids bought a kapok classical guitar to play pop songs nowadays (hei i was one either)

did play acoustic guitar after that.

now i played electric guitar either. started with Aria HSS, then an SX Les Paul and now got myself a Squire Tele after the neck of my SX break.
rarely touch my acoustic guitar since then. figured out my Tele was quite bright sounding and the tonal range was big either.
the magic of the single coils pickup were there too.

but my only complain is that the power chords when i played on the distortion was not as fat as the les paul.
Now had to play with both amplifier distortion and the DS-1 to get the gain i wanted.
Comment?
yeah i believe it's because the single coil.. i own a squire tele too but its a custom model with 2 humbuckers.. i can get damn hot distortion with it.. maybe u can swap ur pups.. chk out seymour duncan tone wizard here
ameerfirdaus
post Aug 14 2008, 05:58 PM

45 posts

to put a humbucker on my single coil slots? is that possible.
or is it like the one malmsteen used?
jejari7
post Aug 15 2008, 10:39 AM

Casual
385 posts

QUOTE(ameerfirdaus @ Aug 14 2008, 05:58 PM)
to put a humbucker on my single coil slots? is that possible.
or is it like the one malmsteen used?
there are variety of pickups in the market and there are also single coil size humbuckers that can fit into ur tele.. the sd tone wizard link i mentioned before is made to help u to get the tone u want for your guitar by recommending a list of pickups combo.. google man and u shall find your answer and... err... GAS?? blink.gif
apique
post Aug 30 2008, 01:31 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

i things les paul can play whatever sounds that you want..
so versatile...rite??
blademaster
post Aug 30 2008, 06:44 PM

Regular
1,009 posts

I think versatility can't be compared to a 3 single coil strat with 5 pickup switch selector. Can get almost every sound except a FAT humbucker's sound.
SweetTooth
post Aug 31 2008, 03:19 AM

2,650 posts

you can fit a stacked humbucker with coil tap and it'll be awesome
zeroglyph
post Sep 3 2008, 02:30 PM

woot!!! senior member now?
1,255 posts

QUOTE(ameerfirdaus @ Aug 14 2008, 03:03 PM)
Comment?
why, may i ask, did you pick a single coil guitar when you've been using and wanting humbucker tone?
sarcast
post Sep 3 2008, 03:43 PM

\^w^/
612 posts

i started with an acoustic as well, the neck of acoustic are narrower in width compare to a classical, easier to press chord^^, classical should b easier to for pluckings and playing melody. Acoustic can train ur finger, strings are harder to press, especially when the strings r new..>.<
nimrod2
post Sep 3 2008, 05:28 PM

the imba one
2,521 posts

QUOTE(sarcast @ Sep 3 2008, 03:43 PM)
i started with an acoustic as well, the neck of acoustic are narrower in width compare to a classical, easier to press chord^^, classical should b easier to for pluckings and playing melody. Acoustic can train ur finger, strings are harder to press, especially when the strings r new..>.<
wow chiq musician?

*shucks*

classical and acoustic guitars play two different roles.
generally, classical guitars play the melody line like in spanish/latin songs.
the acoustic (or folk) guitars play mainly the rythm and provide the body to the song.

that is of course the general rule.
u should see some unique talent on the acoustic guitar out there.

recommended watch : antonio forcione (a really remarkable guitarist)

This post has been edited by nimrod2: Sep 3 2008, 05:30 PM
apique
post Sep 5 2008, 05:04 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

somesay setneck give better sustain for guitar..
is it true???
sarcast
post Sep 18 2008, 11:48 PM

\^w^/
612 posts

QUOTE(nimrod2 @ Sep 3 2008, 05:28 PM)
wow chiq musician?

*shucks*

classical and acoustic guitars play two different roles.
generally, classical guitars play the melody line like in spanish/latin songs.
the acoustic (or folk) guitars play mainly the rythm and provide the body to the song.

that is of course the general rule.
u should see some unique talent on the acoustic guitar out there.

recommended watch : antonio forcione (a really remarkable guitarist)
wats CHIQ ????!! ive asking for 2nd time..=.=

plucking- melody
strumming - rythm

didnt it look connected to u? sweat.gif
Everdying
post Sep 18 2008, 11:56 PM

Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

QUOTE(sarcast @ Sep 18 2008, 11:48 PM)
wats CHIQ ????!! ive asking for 2nd time..=.=

plucking- melody
strumming - rythm

didnt it look connected to u?  sweat.gif
chiq.
chick.
chicky.
girl.

tongue.gif
kenetix
post Sep 25 2008, 08:45 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

QUOTE(apique @ Sep 5 2008, 05:04 AM)
somesay setneck give better sustain for guitar..
is it true???
Yes it does. Apparently its due to closer contact of the neck wood to the body of the guitar, which reduces sound loss or something. But its debatable I guess. Many factors affect it. On average most set neck guitars tend to have longer sustain than bolt ons though. (LPs for example...) But then again, different wood, pickups, string height, neck bending, etc. all also affect the sustain of the guitar somehow or other... best is to test it out and compare
punkingcj
post Sep 27 2008, 12:28 PM

27 posts

Hi everyone
does anyone know about jackson guitars?
Mind telling me the difference of Soloist and Dinky series? Coz they two look similar in design despite its neck pickup..
Or which one is more expensive?
Anyone? thanks in advance..
eugene gerard
post Oct 12 2008, 11:23 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(chanti-sama @ Jun 24 2005, 06:07 PM)
I remember the plexi glass strat alrite.... but i like the one he had on monkey wrench video.
yup that's the one. i think that guitar is worth a mention. smile.gif
well.. this guitar is called a Gretsch.
its quite famous..
bands like Hillsong, Hillsong United, Red Hot Chili Peppers, they use them..
the one in this pic is called a White Falcon.
Gretsch has lots of models.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/

click here to see more models.smile.gif

This post has been edited by eugene gerard: Oct 12 2008, 11:24 PM
antidream unthought
post Dec 8 2008, 12:55 AM

Casual
397 posts

oh a dictionary on guitars here rclxms.gif

i'll add something extreme.

user posted image

Model: MMM1 Mike Mushok Signature *haihs discontinued already, he changed to PRS*
Brand: Ibanez
Type: Electric guitar, baritone 28" scale
Nickname: no need nicknames, the sound speaks for itself icon_idea.gif
Style: for any heavily downtuned music, fits for some jazz too

user posted image

Mike Mushok is the guitarist in Staind..
He usually uses weird tunings and custom string gauges in their music
Some sounded pretty mainstream, and some just way heavy..
He got many custom guitars and prototypes..
I think he used a 7-string for the song "It's Been Awhile", RG1077XL if im not mistaken..

user posted image

bought this 4 yrs ago as my 1st guitar..
hard to play at first, ppl usually start off with acoustic/classical..
with a slight downtuning, u can play it like a 7-string.. thumbup.gif

user posted image

for specs, its a neck-thru guitar.. massive sustain..
string thru body construction, 3 piece mahogany-bubinga-mahogany neck with mahogany body
gibraltar custom bridge *not a custom anymore, also on other latest ibanez models*
super 58 custom wounded pickups.. dunno its okay for metal or not, but so far it sounded great
rosewood fretboard, 22 jumbo frets
chrome hardware, mahogany oil finish

all the while i was playing heavy stuff
and now i need a standard guitar to play more music rclxub.gif
SweetTooth
post Dec 8 2008, 01:50 AM

2,650 posts

wow that for a first guitar notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by SweetTooth: Dec 8 2008, 01:50 AM
antidream unthought
post Dec 8 2008, 03:06 AM

Casual
397 posts

its hard for me to play coz i learn by myself only..
but now got guitar pro easier to train edy..
know a few power chords only..
aiyo now holiday need to train everyday..
mmmaak
post Feb 13 2009, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(TheWhacker @ Jun 24 2005, 10:28 AM)
Why all electric guitar wan ? .... Acoustic guitars can right ? ... i mean it's the "guitar Paradise" ....
How Body Shapes Affect Tone Production
Well .... the bigger the guitar, the louder it will sound (huh!) and, consequently, the body width and depth will produce more bass response.
This is not necessarily true. There are many, many different factors that affect the final tone of an acoustic instrument. Bass response, for example, is affected by the degree of coupling between the soundboard and the back, not simply the body depth. This is quoted from luthier Tim McKnight at the Acoustic Guitar Forum (a great place to hang out if you want to learn more about guitars):

If you mean "volume" (as in loudness) then [body] depth does not control the amount of volume. Body depth [can] influence sound velocity. There are numerous factors that control volume including: top thickness, brace design, brace mass, brace shape, bridge weight, top species, and most importantly the monopole movement of the top.

Speaking in [very] broad generalities:

Any body shape that has flat or squarish upper and lower bout shoulders (like a dred, OM, OOO) [can] have a slight more emphasis on bass response. Any body shape that has rounded upper and lower bout shoulders [can] have a more balanced and even tone from bass to treble. Ultimately the tonal control is in the hands of the person building the guitar. There are lots and lots and lots of factors that influence tone so consider my [generalized] statements with a grain of salt.

I have a 2006 David Webber OM with a body depth of less than 4" and it has good volume for such a small instrument. In short, how a builder voices his instrument (or in the case of a factory guitar, the variables designed into the "blueprint") will have more effect on tone than simply body shape alone.
Rikipu
post Mar 7 2009, 10:30 PM

Casual
355 posts

hey can anyone here give some brief description/review of other guitar shapes besides the usual les paul, strats, teles, etc...
say the gibson flying V, explorers and fire birds? like what they sound like and all. if anyone has first hand experience and would like to share, that would be nice smile.gif just curious.
amranhashim
post Apr 13 2009, 06:42 PM

4 posts

I'm a fender & gibson guitar fan. I only use a 22 fret guitar. My preferred guitars are Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson SG, Gibson Explorer, Les Paul & Ibanez Artist.

The major difference between Fender & Gibson is its pickup design. Where Fender Guitars mainly using 2 or 3 single coil pickups and Gibson Guitars mainly using 2 humbucker pickups. Fender guitars has a trademark sustain sound and it suits musician of all kind. For a heavier sound especially playing rock music, Gibson guitars is preferred. It has a fat bottom sound compared to Fender.

Another guitar to checkout is Ibanez Artist Prestige. It has the design almost identical to Gibson, which has 2 humbucker pickups and a sustain block bridge. But the best thing about this guitar is that it has a Tri-Sound pickup switching system & a solo switch. Some models also comes with a volume knob that can be pull/push for more sound variety.

Added on April 13, 2009, 7:11 pmFENDER GUITAR MODELS

Fender Stratocaster:
* American Deluxe Stratocaster
* American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
* American Standard Stratocaster
* American Vintage 57 Stratocaster
* American Vintage 62 Stratocaster
* American Vintage 70s Stratocaster
* Classic 50s Strat
* Classic 60s Strat
* Classic 70s Strat
* Acoustasonic Start
* Deluxe Fat Strat
* Deluxe Players Strat
* Deluxe Power Stratocaster
* Lone Star Stratocaster
* Roadhouse Stratocaster
* Highway One Stratocaster
* Road Worn 50s Stratocaster
* Road Worn 60s Stratocaster
* Aerodyne Classic Stratocaster
* Stratocaster XII 12-Strings
* Standard Roland Ready Stratocaster (upgrade)
* Standard Stratocaster
* VG Stratocaster
* Vintage Hot Rod 57 Stratocaster
* Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocaster

Fender Telecaster:
* American Deluxe Telecaster
* American Deluxe Ash Telecaster
* American Nashville B-Bender Telecaster
* American Standard Telecaster
* American Vintage 52 Telecaster
* American Vintage 62 Telecaster Custom
* 50s Telecaster
* 60s Telecaster
* 60s Custom Telecaster with Bigsby
* 69 Telecaster Thinline
* 72 Telecaster Custom
* 72 Telecaster Deluxe
* 72 Telecaster Thinline
* Blackout Telecaster
* Nashville Telecaster
* Nashville Power Telecaster
* Highway One Telecaster (upgrade)
* Highway One Texas Telecaster
* Road Worn 50s Telecaster
* Custom Telecaster
* Standard Telecaster
* Vintage Hot Rod 52 Telecaster

Fender Esquire:
* 50s Esquire Classic

Fender Jaguar:
* American Vintage 62 Jaguar
* Classic Player Jaguar Special
* Jaguar Baritone Special
* Jaguar HH

Fender Jazzmaster:
* American Vintage 62 Jazzmaster
* Elvis Costello Jazzmaster
* J Mascis Jazzmaster
* Classic Player Jazzmaster Special

Fender Mustang:
* 65 Mustang

Added on April 13, 2009, 7:12 pmGIBSON GUITAR MODELS

Gibson Vintage Acoustic Archtop Models:
* Style O acoustic archtop
* L-Jr acoustic archtop
* L-1 acoustic archtop
* L-2 acoustic archtop
* L-3 acoustic archtop
* L-4 acoustic archtop
* L-4C acoustic archtop
* L-4CES electric archtop
* L-5, L-5P, L-5C acoustic archtop
* L-5CES electric archtop
* L-7, L-7C acoustic archtop
* L-10 acoustic archtop
* L-12, L-12P acoustic archtop
* L-30 acoustic archtop
* L-37 acoustic archtop
* L-47 acoustic archtop
* L-48 acoustic archtop
* L-50 acoustic archtop
* L-75 acoustic archtop
* Super 300, Super 300C acoustic archtop
* Super 400, Super 400P, Super 400C acoustic archtop
* Super 400CES electric archtop
* Johnny Smith archtop
* Citation acoustic archtop (1969-1975)
* Kalamazoo Award acoustic archtop (1978-1985)

Gibson Vintage Electric Archtop Model:
* ES-100 electric arch top
* ES-125 electric arch top
* ES-135 electric arch top
* ES-140 3/4 electric arch top
* ES-150 electric arch top
* ES-250 electric arch top
* ES-175 electric arch top
* ES-295 electric arch top
* ES-300 electric arch top
* ES-350 electric arch top (1947-1956)
* ES-5 electric arch top
* Tal Farlow electric arch top
* Barney Kessel Regular & Custom electric arch top
* Trini Lopez Custom (Deluxe) electric arch top

Gibson Vintage Electric Thinline Archtop Models:
* ES-120T electric thinline archtop
* ES-125T, ES-125TC, ES-125TCD electric thinline archtop
* ES-140 3/4T electric thinline archtop
* ES-225 electric thinline archtop
* ES-330 electric thinline archtop
* ES-335 electric thinline archtop
* ES-345 electric thinline archtop
* ES-355 electric thinline archtop
* ES-350T electric thinline archtop (1956 to present)
* Byrdland electric thinline archtop
* Trini Lopez Standard electric thinline archtop

Gibson Vintage Flat top Models:
* L-0 flat top
* L-00 flat top
* L-1 flat top
* L-2 flat top
* Nick Lucas flat top
* Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe (Hawaiian) flat top
* Roy Smeck Radio Grande (Hawaiian) flat top
* L-C, H-G Century flat tops
* HG-20, HG-22, HG-24 flat top
* Jumbo flat top
* Advanced Jumbo flat top (1936-1940)
* Jumbo 35 (J-35) flat top
* Jumbo 55 (J-55) flat top (1939-1943)
* Super Jumbo 100 (SJ-100) flat top (1939-1943)
* SJ-200 and J-200 flat top (1938-1969)
* Southern Jumbo flat top (1942-1962)
* SJN (Southern Jumbo Natural) flat top
* Country-Western flat top
* J-45 and J-45ADJ flat top (1942-1969)
* J-50 flat top (1947-1969)
* CF-100, CF-100e flat tops
* J-160e flat top (1954-1969)
* J-185 flat top
* Everly Brothers flat top
* LG-0, LG-1, LG-2, LG-3, B-25, B-25N flat tops
* Dove flat top
* Hummingbird flat top
* Les Paul Jumbo flat top
* Heritage flat top
* FJN (Folk Singer Jumbo)

Gibson Vintage Solidbody Models:
* Les Paul (standard) solid body electric
* Les Paul Custom solid body electric
* Les Paul Junior solid body electric
* Les Paul TV solid body electric
* Les Paul Special solid body electric
* Les Paul Deluxe solid body electric
* SG Standard solid body electric
* SG Custom solid body electric
* SG Special solid body electric
* SG Junior solid body electric
* Melody Maker solid body electric
* Firebird I, III, V, VII solid body electric
* Flying V solid body electric (1958-1963, 1981-1984)
* Explorer solid body electric (1958-1963, 1983)
* EDS-1275 Double neck 12 string solid body electric (1958-1962)
* EMS-1235 Double neck Mandolin solid body electric (1958-1962)
* EBSF-1250 Double neck Bass solid body electric (1962-1963)

Gibson Vintage Lapsteel Models:
* EH-150
* EH-100
* EH-125
* EH-185
* EH-275
* Roy Smeck Special
* BR-4
* BR-6
* BR-9
* UltraTone/BR-1
* SkyLark EH-500
* Century-6
* RoyalTone

This post has been edited by amranhashim: Apr 13 2009, 07:12 PM
ninehneh
post Apr 27 2009, 08:36 AM

Casual
458 posts

QUOTE(led_zep_freak @ Jun 23 2005, 07:00 PM)
nbtd again... tongue.gif Rough description of the strat (I wouldn't know how 60s & 50s strats differ!).

50's strat typically have a 'v' shaped neck , single ply pickguard and 8 mounting screws for the pickguard
60's strat typically come in the 'c' shape neck ,3-ply pickguard and 11 mounting screws for the pickguard

After CBS bought Fender over, they introduced the big headstock (aka the 70's headstock) and had 3 screws instead of 4 for the neck joint.

this is from what i can recall..hope it helps a bit smile.gif

edit: useful info for identifying ur fender guitar

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/fenderserial.html

This post has been edited by ninehneh: Apr 29 2009, 02:44 PM
Dark Kai
post Apr 27 2009, 02:33 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(punkingcj @ Sep 27 2008, 12:28 PM)
Hi everyone
does anyone know about jackson guitars?
Mind telling me the difference of Soloist and Dinky series? Coz they two look similar in design despite its neck pickup..
Or which one is more expensive?
Anyone? thanks in advance..
I think Soloist are the higher end models.
Jason Kwan
post May 15 2009, 06:14 PM

12 posts

What do you think of Yamaha SG 3000 ???

Or any Yamaha Guitars.

Please give your feedbacks.
hmc
post May 17 2009, 03:39 AM

49 posts

SG 3000 - the price tag will give you a heart attack. Did not plug it in but scrutinized the guitar up close. The workmanship of these premium MIJ guitar is awesome unlike those from Yamaha factory in Taiwan. They are available from Yamaha at the Curve and Mid-Valley.

When you compare the premium Yamaha range and the low end pacifica models, it is like night and day in terms of playability, finishing, workmanship and feel. Do test it out and hear for yourself.

erictham
post Jun 1 2009, 02:04 PM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(kenetix @ Sep 25 2008, 08:45 PM)
Yes it does. Apparently its due to closer contact of the neck wood to the body of the guitar, which reduces sound loss or something. But its debatable I guess. Many factors affect it. On average most set neck guitars tend to have longer sustain than bolt ons though. (LPs for example...) But then again, different wood, pickups, string height, neck bending, etc. all also affect the sustain of the guitar somehow or other... best is to test it out and compare
Totally agree with kenetix. There are many factors.
If you are not having enough sustain on your guitar, you can also try a sustainer pedal (such as the Boss' CS-3 Compression Sustainer). I love how mine helps boost my sustain :-)

High output humbuckers + Sustain pedals = Amazing Sustain!
Karlos
post Aug 11 2009, 12:32 AM

44 posts

WOW It's wonderful!!! My thanks to the author.
KepalaRadio
post Aug 18 2009, 08:02 PM

Casual
389 posts

Hey guys need you advice here, I'm considering getting an electric guitar and attend classes, if I feel it's necessary that is.

Anyways, I've been playing acoustic casually for the past two years now, performed a few times playing the rythm part. I wanna get an electric that costs around RM800-RM2000 at most. The genres of music that I'm particularly interested in is Blues and Rock, no heavy metal shredding stuff o.o

Anyway suggestions on what guitar to get? If this ain't the correct thread to post this then please direct me to the correct one lol.
melthq
post Sep 13 2009, 11:46 PM

On my way
613 posts

any fingerstyle acoustic player here? biggrin.gif
edmun26
post Nov 1 2009, 12:05 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

whats the difference with the jimmy page - les paul vs the normal les paul besides the signature
vinomanser22
post Nov 11 2009, 10:37 PM

2 posts

what electric guitar is best for a beginer

Fenderr
post Nov 29 2009, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
268 posts

QUOTE(KepalaRadio @ Aug 18 2009, 08:02 PM)
Hey guys need you advice here, I'm considering getting an electric guitar and attend classes, if I feel it's necessary that is.

Anyways, I've been playing acoustic casually for the past two years now, performed a few times playing the rythm part. I wanna get an electric that costs around RM800-RM2000 at most. The genres of music that I'm particularly interested in is Blues and Rock, no heavy metal shredding stuff o.o

Anyway suggestions on what guitar to get? If this ain't the correct thread to post this then please direct me to the correct one lol.
Do you want to like try starter packs? biggrin.gif Ibanez, Epiphone maybe. But i think you dont need to, cause you already have 2 years of experience on a guitar, rather than a person who wants to start learning.
You maybe could get a Squier? Squiers are under Fender. Its like a lower grade, but it still has great sound. And its about 500 to maybe 1k+.
Or you would wanna go with a Epiphone. Instead of single coil pickups like the Squier, you can get Humbuckers, on the epiphone, with a slightly higher price.
Its actually all up to you, get to a music store. Perhaps a big one like Bentley. And try out all the guitars, see which suits your playing style. smile.gif
r1nk
post Dec 13 2009, 02:20 PM

Casual
456 posts

I look at ibanez and LP guitars and may i know wat that red mark for...? Bcoz ibanez got it while LP dun has it.

user posted image

Two more things, which guitar easy to play and can play most genre, ibanez or gibson and when we buy electric guitar do we need to buy amp too..?

*I dun know anything bout guitar, just wanna know some knowledge*... Hope u guys can clear out those questions.

This post has been edited by r1nk: Dec 13 2009, 02:23 PM
Ah Shawn
post Jan 5 2010, 11:03 AM

On my way
512 posts

QUOTE(r1nk @ Dec 13 2009, 02:20 PM)
I look at ibanez and LP guitars and may i know wat that red mark for...? Bcoz ibanez got it while LP dun has it.

user posted image

Two more things, which guitar easy to play and can play most genre, ibanez or gibson and when we buy electric guitar do we need to buy amp too..?

*I dun know anything bout guitar, just wanna know some knowledge*... Hope u guys can clear out those questions.
that thing is called a tremolo arm, u can pull it up or push it down to acheive pitch bending or vibrato like effect due to change of string tension when u push or pull it..for more read up go wiki for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremolo_arm

what genre it can play is very subjective as both brands offer a wide selection of guitars. it boils down to personal preference and requirements. plus, its not just guitars that determine what kinda genre u play, the amps, strings & pedals that u use in collaboration can control the tone of your sound for different genres

it is best you buy an amp so that u can hear what u practice, it's very differnt playing without an amp. if ure gigging and u praktis without an amp...it can sound markedly different as u may produce more noise or whatsoever due to sloppy picking or fingering which u might not have spotted when practicing without an amp
aceejay
post Jan 5 2010, 02:14 PM

the wah-wah jimi !
972 posts

QUOTE(KepalaRadio @ Aug 18 2009, 08:02 PM)

Any Fenders standard series will do in your style ! smile.gif
faceless
post May 5 2010, 11:13 AM

Straight Mouth is Big Word
4,515 posts

I dont want to interupt the list of great guitars. When you experts are done with the instrument can you cover playing method or skills. What I mean is strum, pluck ...
rocket_jet
post May 26 2010, 10:39 PM

Videogame connosieur
712 posts

may i know what is perfect pitch? anyone?
mhaniff_11
post Jun 9 2010, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

QUOTE(vinomanser22 @ Nov 11 2009, 11:37 PM)
what electric guitar is best for a beginer
depend on ur budget actually..
ibanez quite good if u have the budget..
squire also..
smile.gif
tiffanys1
post Jul 15 2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts

I would say it's a good choice for beginner who want something affordable and yet able to perform as expected. It's light and the neck is comfortable to grip, it's more rounded than RG neck. The configuration is simple and straight to the point, no need for adjusting the Floyd Rose (coz the lack of one) and changing string is just a matter of minutes as opposed to other Ibanez (RG and those with Floyd Rose).

--------------------
links of london bracelets pandora beads links of london charms gucci

kenneth_leong
post Jul 20 2010, 07:09 PM

35 posts

FOr more resources on acoustic guitars check out Alvarez Guitars resource site lo

http://alvarezguitars.org
SUSmhb
post Jul 26 2010, 08:33 PM

Zen.....
654 posts

Hi guys.

I'm an acoustic player, but been thinking of trying my hands on some electric.

Currently I got 3 entry level guitars in mind: Ibanez Gio, Fender Squier, Les Paul Special.

In term of playability, built, and sound, how do these three models differ?

Could you sifus mind elaborate?

My max budget would be RM1k. The lesser the better, coz need to allocate some funds for amp (nothing fancy, just for a small room) and cable.

Thus, which of these three has the best price per value?

Or izit better for me to gather more $ and go for better guitar?

I intend to play a lil bit of every genre: Rock, Jazz, Blues, Mellow etc.

Thanks in advance for your insights smile.gif

This post has been edited by mhb: Jul 26 2010, 08:34 PM
stan001
post Aug 6 2010, 02:10 AM

On my way
623 posts

QUOTE(mhb @ Jul 26 2010, 08:33 PM)
Hi guys.

I'm an acoustic player, but been thinking of trying my hands on some electric.

Currently I got 3 entry level guitars in mind: Ibanez Gio, Fender Squier, Les Paul Special.

Don't be shy la, just go into a bigger music shop (with many selections) and try all three of them with the same amp...

Also try the higher series besides Gio and you should be able to hear the differences..

Last time I went to Bentley Music near Ikano and try out all types of Ibanez elec guitar and I totally knew nothing about guitars.. hehe

At least you know how to play the acoustic guitar and can play something...

I end up buying a 2nd hand Fender Squier H-S-S + amp...

Good luck in your elec guitar search...
antidream unthought
post Aug 6 2010, 09:42 PM

Casual
397 posts

secondhand version of higher end models also do justice, coz generally the previous owner would treat their guitars good..
spending slightly above 1K will save you a lot later
insidedown
post Aug 9 2010, 05:48 PM

42 posts

another noob question here, maple fretboard gives edgier sound while rosewood more to round sound. i agreed with both that. i just want to know how bout ebony fretboard? anyone had try them?
Everdying
post Aug 9 2010, 06:27 PM

Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

QUOTE(insidedown @ Aug 9 2010, 05:48 PM)
another noob question here, maple fretboard gives edgier sound while rosewood more to round sound. i agreed with both that. i just want to know how bout ebony fretboard? anyone had try them?
soundwise of cos its snappier, and it also feels smoother than maple since its much tighter grain, and also looks cooler since its black biggrin.gif
insidedown
post Aug 10 2010, 09:42 PM

42 posts

just bought 1 with ebony fretboard. with mahogany body. it is epiphone lespaul special doublecutaway MIK with korean p90 pups. anyone had try this guitar? maybe can share sumthing with me.
mgjg
post Aug 14 2010, 11:08 PM

Enthusiast
734 posts

QUOTE(rocket_jet @ May 26 2010, 10:39 PM)
may i know what is perfect pitch? anyone?
It's the term used for people who can hear music notes perfectly or someone who can transcribe and reproduce music exactly just from listening to it once or twice. Examples of people with perfect pitch: Bach, Mozart etc. or some modern musicians/guitarists like Malmsteen and Vai.

..or you can just google it tongue.gif
SUSmhb
post Aug 18 2010, 02:55 PM

Zen.....
654 posts

Another thing to enquire here, what's the difference between semi-hollow electrics and solid body electrics?

I'm thinking of getting one semi-hollow, but mainly because of the appearance hehe.

What do you guys think of Samick Greg Bennett Royal RL1? Any insight how much a new one will cost?
ZintanthraX
post Aug 18 2010, 03:20 PM

La Dolce Vita
2,318 posts

QUOTE(mhb @ Aug 18 2010, 02:55 PM)
Another thing to enquire here, what's the difference between semi-hollow electrics and solid body electrics?

I'm thinking of getting one semi-hollow, but mainly because of the appearance hehe.

What do you guys think of Samick Greg Bennett Royal RL1? Any insight how much a new one will cost?
d tone differs.semi hollow suits jazzy,bluesy,slo rock solo's or play,while solid body,is more versatile 2 me(no need 2 mention how they sound,evrybdy noes laugh.gif)...
dont go 4 semi hollows if u wanna play metal.sounds horrible...

1 more think,dont buy a guitar jz bcz of its cosmetic.tone is more important.
jibraun
post Sep 22 2010, 02:00 PM

31 posts

ESP Model List

All HORIZON 2010 List

(Click Model for Specs)
Horizon FR2 EMG
Horizon FR2
Horizon FR
Horizon NT FM
Horizon NT EMG
Horizon NT
Horizon NT 7
Horizon NT 2
Horizon FR 7
Horizon 3 STD
Horizon 3 STD QM

This post has been edited by jibraun: Sep 22 2010, 02:00 PM
kirovdust
post Oct 8 2010, 08:44 PM

Casual
353 posts

I am bored, and I would like to write about electric guitars. I was thinking of making a new thread, but I'm afraid that the mod (Mr. Blacktrix..hehe) will get mad at me. So here it goes:

Breakdown of an electric guitar

A typical structure of an electric guitar consists of:

- Headstock
- Neck
- Body

A) HEADSTOCK

Headstock is the part where you can find the logo of the guitar brand, as well as the tuning heads, Headstock is an important part of the guitar because it shows the identity of the guitar. By simply looking at the shape of the headstock, you can straightaway tell the brand of the guitar. Besides that, it also resembles the characteristic of the guitar, for example, pointy headstocks are mainly found in metal-oriented guitars - yes, Les Pauls, Telecasters and Stratocasters looks weird with pointy headstocks. (Somebody please post a pic if you can find any, and prove me wrong/right).

Mostly, headstocks are made with the same material as the neck, and it is structured to be constructed with, or connected to the neck - through scarf joint, 1-piece or 3-piece or 5-piece construction, etc. Since most electric guitar are using neutral, hardwood such as maple, therefore most headstocks are made of maple. This explains why bare/clear finish headstock are yellowish/bright coloured.

Some guitars have matched headstock. It means, the headstock has similar colour/finishing to the body's colour/finishing. For example, if the body is painted in red colour, the headstock also painted in the same colour. Some manufacturer even put the flamed/quilted maple veneer on the surface of the headstock to match the finishing with the body. Some expensive guitars have the neck and headstock made of high grade/selected maple which have beautiful patterns, alike to flamed/quilted. A person here in LYN is selling his Don Grosh retro boutique Stratocaster, and that guitar is a good example of this - the clear finishing for the headstock reveals the nice pattern of the wood used. If you ever see that guitar, you will find that the headstock looks outstanding even without fancy logo or design.

The headstock places the tuning heads / tuning machines. These tuning machines are the things that keep your strings in tune, so a good set of tuning machines is important. Well-known brands of tuning machines are Grover and Gotoh. Most of high-end guitars are equipped with these tuning machines. Tuning machines are mostly made of die-cast metal, and some tuning pegs are made of plastic/bones. I personally think that if you are using low to intermediate guitars, please change your tuning heads. Why? Heed my advice, and you will feel the difference.

Before we move on to the neck section, there are a particular part that stays in between. The part that put your strings in place in between the headstock and the neck is called guitar nuts. This part is made of plastic or bones. For floating tremolo bridge equipped guitars, locking nuts are used - which is made of die-cast iron. There are guitars that use rolling nuts, this is mostly found in guitars that is equipped with Wilkinson 2 point tremolo bridge. I had an Ibanez SAS36FM which uses SAT PRO bridge that is similar to the Wilkinson bridge, but the guitar is equipped with basic nuts - and this causes tuning issues. For more information about the guitar nuts, please ask Mr. Google.

and guess what? Finally I have something to do, so...I'll continue later. Too much to talk about for the neck alone, so...lets wait till I get bored again, then I'll continue.

P/S: Do you think its proper for me to create a new thread for this?(Too afraid to ask our strict mr.mod) lol

Stay tuned for the update!

This post has been edited by kirovdust: Oct 10 2010, 07:46 AM
xiiao1047
post Oct 8 2010, 09:29 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

@ kirovdust I support u!
antidream unthought
post Oct 8 2010, 11:22 PM

Casual
397 posts

+1 to kirovdust. would love to hear about the necks, as im really keen on that part in choosing guitars
kirovdust
post Oct 10 2010, 09:09 AM

Casual
353 posts

B) NECK

The neck of a guitar consists of:

#Neck - which mostly made of maple wood
#Fingerboard/Fretboard - made of rosewood (dark brown colour) or maple (yellowish white colour) or ebony (black colour)
#Truss rod - a steel shaft that is put inside the neck (there is a cavity inside the neck)
#Fretwires - the thin steel pieces that mark the spaces for chords on the fingerboard.
#Inlays - the markers on the fingerboards.

The neck of the guitar is mostly made of maple. Why? Some people say maple produces neutral tones, which compliments the body's tones (it doesnt affect the body's tone - well, that's rather a subjective matter). Some say that maple is a hard wood, so that why it is used for guitar necks. There are guitars which have mahogany neck, usually paired with mahogany body for even warmer tone. I'm using an Ibanez S series guitar which have maple neck and mahogany body, so far I think the tones blend well. Talking about construction, guitar necks are produced in a variety of construction - some are made to make it stronger, some are made for aesthetic purposes. Usually, guitar necks are made in 1 piece construction - which means only 1 piece of wood is used. Old Ibanez RGs, Jacksons, LPs, SGs, have 1 piece construction. There is also a 3-piece construction, where 3 pieces of woods are put together to make the neck. This construction is claimed to be stronger. Most 3-piece neck are made using three same woods, such as maple 3-piece neck in my Ibanez S320. 5-piece neck is an awesome creation - it adds the strength, as well as aesthetic value. In this construction, 3 woods are the same type, while the 2 is different. For example, I'm admiring an Ibanez RG prestige with 5-piece neck construction, and the 5-piece are made of maple and walnut. Maple is bright coloured, while walnut is brown, so..the result of this combination is a super stable neck, and when hyou look at the back of the neck, you will see 2 lines of walnut wood in the center of the neck, akin to 'racing stripe' or 'racing line'.

Fingerboard is the place where you put your fingers in order to hit the guitar notes/chords. There are three commonly used woods for fingerboards, which are rosewood, maple and ebony. Rosewood has a dark brown colour, and is said to give mellow tones, which compliments mahogany tones perfectly. That is why, I think, its rare to see a mahogany bodied guitar equipped with fingerboard from other type of wood. Rosewood looks pale when it is too dry, therefore you need to treat the wood with oil - it could be lemon oil, or mineral oil. I personally love rosewood fingerboard because the colour tone, which is nicer than ebony, and I'm not a fan of maple fingerboard. Maple fingerboard has yellowish colour, which is nice when combined with any body finishing. As I said before, I'm not a fan of maple fingerboard, but when I look at Ibanez RG with maple (e.g RG350M DY), I couldn't stop myself from liking it. Maple fingerboard is said to give bright tones, which is an added characteristic to twangy sounding guitars such as Fender Stratocasters - yes, that is why Stratocasters are usually equipped with maple fingerboard (apart from the aesthetics though). Lastly is the ebony fingerboard. All I know about this wood is that it has a dark, almost black colour. I don't know about the tone quality though, but aesthetically I think it offers a nice colour tone for those who want a really dark fingerboard - I've seen a Stratocaster with ebody, which I think is nice.

Truss rod is a steel rod/shaft that s placed inside your neck. It provides a reinforcement against the heavy tension that the neck suffer from the strings tension. High-end guitars such as Japanese Ibanez Prestige series guitars are equipped with Titanium reinforced KTS truss rod, which happens to be a real tough rod. There are also guitars equipped with Carbon Fiber compound rod, which is lighter as well as stronger. As for me and most guitarists here, yes, our guitar is equipped with steel rod - although not a strong as those rods, so far the rod is doing its job pretty well. Eventually, the neck will bend, due to the tension from the strings, or weather changes, or bad guitar handling. When the neck is bent, it can be adjusted by turning the truss rod. This setup needs professional hands because slight mistake could break your guitar's neck. In between the headstock and the neck, just next to the nuts, there lies the guitar truss rod cover. When you open the cover, you will find a slot to put an Allen key, which you can use to tighten or loosen the truss rod. I do my guitar setup on my own, but when it comes to neck, I will send to guitar tech. My dream of becoming a guitar tech will be realized later when I have learned this skill (maybe our recently joined, legendary guitar tech Tham can teach me? I want to be your student!!!)

Now lets move on to the fretwires. These thin pieces of steel rods divide the fingerboards so that we would have frets to put our fingers. The scale, or spaces between these fret wires is determined from the scale of the guitar's neck length. I don't know much about this, but if you want to build your own guitar, please learn more about this because slight mistake on the scales, would cost you the intonation as well as note accuracy. A long2 time ago, I thought these spaces are what they call in the catalogue as Jumbo fret, or Xtra Jumbo fret. But I was wrong! The Jumbo or Extra Jumbo is actually the size of the fretwires. Get yourself an Extra Jumbo fret guitar, you will notice how thick and high the fretwires are. I would change my guitar's fretwires to XJ later, because I want to have the feeling similar to playing scalloped fingerboard, but without the modification to the wood. What is scalloped neck, you ask? I would love, and I really want to, explain here. But I'm kinda sleepy now, so what I can say about scalloped neck is that you will be using less energy to hit the notes, and eventually you will play faster as you fingers will be trained to 'slide' along the frets, much like the guitar virtuoso Mr. Yngwie Malmsteen and his signature Fender Stratocaster.

Finally, lets talk about inlays! Oh, I really love this part. Basically, inlays mark the fretboard at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 20th and 22nd fret. But nowadays there are various choice - some don't even have inlays, some have very, very few inlays. My take on inlay is, it gives characteristics to the guitar. Some guitars need less inlay to look cool, and my Ibanez S320 proves that. The guitar has only 2 small dots at the 12th fret, and the result is - the guitar looks mysterious in its simplicity - ok, I exaggerated, lol! Guitar inlays come in hell lots of variety. Commonly used are dot inlays, while in metal-ish guitars, a more radical inlays design is used, such as some Ibanez RGs (sharktooh inlays) and Jacksons RR (Sharkfin Inlays). The designs of inlays are plenty - some of my favourites are: Metallica's Kirk Hammet's ESP KH series' skull designed inlays, Slayer's Jeff Hanneman's ESP JH inlays, Slipknot's Mick Thompson's Ibanez MTM1 - 'SEVEN' inlays in the first 5 frets, BFMV's Michael Paget's ESP guitar's inlays, ESP Horizon's inlays, as well as Ibanez S Prestige inlays - 3 dots on the 12th fret, and lastly all of Steve Vai's Ibanez JEM guitars (7V, DNA, etc) inlays! The material used in making the inlays are varied. Some are plastics, pearl, mother-of-pearl, MOTO (in Jackson's Sharkfin inlay - I don't know what MOTO stands for), and many more. I love the mother-of-pearl inlays in my SAS36FM, and I admire the 'Tree of Life' inlays in JEM guitars, and I went gaga over DNA inlays in DNA JEMs. If Ibanez is going to make a signature guitar for me in future, I would want it to have mother-of-pearl inlays!

I'm very sleepy right now, sorry for the lack of quality in my writing. Stay tuned for the next part, which I will write a lot - the body part. In this part, I'll write about the finishing, shape, pickups, bridge, the neck joint, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

jibraun
post Oct 10 2010, 07:02 PM

31 posts

Walawe...nice info !!! Thx kirovdust
crazym
post Dec 9 2010, 06:32 PM

16 posts

my guitar's bridge just pop out due to the heat in the car i suppose, so do you guys know any guitar store with technician can help me repair my guitar, around klang valley...
Lucidus
post Jan 23 2011, 04:11 AM

Newbie?
2,450 posts

QUOTE(crazym @ Dec 9 2010, 06:32 PM)
my guitar's bridge just pop out due to the heat in the car i suppose, so do you guys know any guitar store with technician can help me repair my guitar, around klang valley...
TGS

Added on January 23, 2011, 4:12 am
QUOTE(crazym @ Dec 9 2010, 06:32 PM)
By the way how did that happen?

How many hours did you left the car under the sun?

This post has been edited by Lucidus: Jan 23 2011, 04:12 AM
eddydo
post Feb 26 2011, 09:41 AM

vroom vrooom~
1,260 posts

bright shiny guitars, ah~...
felixyukito
post Mar 8 2011, 02:34 PM

Casual
483 posts

Kirovdust can type out such a kickass guide while he is sleepy.. He is godlike when he is feeling not sleepy then.. o.0

good job!
hidzwan
post Mar 29 2011, 04:19 PM

Casual
377 posts

@ kirovdust

do u mind if i ask u here instead of PM?

i'm keen to know, why a cheap body installed with Dimarzio Evo can't get a clean + compact sound like an RG with INF3 pickup. is it because the body wood or fret or bridge type or neck etc2..

This post has been edited by hidzwan: Apr 6 2011, 03:41 PM
bombercycle
post May 24 2011, 04:39 PM

41 posts

I going to let go my baby

Yamaha FG 441 TBS Folk Guitar --
condition : 8/10
Prices : Rm 550

Spec :
Solid Top
Tobacco Sunburst
Chrome Tuners
Very Rare Piece ; Early FG series
VERY GOOD CONDTION
Great Tones and playability
Sorry soft-bag not have

user posted image
antidream unthought
post May 25 2011, 07:40 AM

Casual
397 posts

^ Sorry bro wrong thread.. check out the Musical Instruments sales section, all in one place already thumbup.gif
dviduka
post Jun 6 2011, 12:31 PM

1 posts

still waiting for the continuation of kirovdust's epic series!
zeronova
post Aug 7 2011, 01:36 AM

On my way
596 posts

no PRS love? sad.gif
SUSultra_jet
post Oct 11 2011, 01:29 PM

27 posts

market for string guitar XL at mlaysia how much??? . .

entinggi
post Feb 7 2012, 10:42 PM

Casual
326 posts

Its been awhile since we all posted something

So here's something to share

Enjoy smile.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

from http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/uncat...s-of-your-tone/
brolex
post Feb 13 2012, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(melthq @ Sep 13 2009, 11:46 PM)
any fingerstyle acoustic player here? biggrin.gif
I dabble in fingerstyle.

I recorded this on my iphone, a cover of Randy Rhoads' Dee as there was quite a buzz on the net about this guy last week.

http://soundcloud.com/brolex/dee

You can find me on youtube as "tabreader" as well.

shawn87
post May 18 2012, 03:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,154 posts

QUOTE(brolex @ Feb 13 2012, 10:17 AM)
I dabble in fingerstyle.

I recorded this on my iphone, a cover of Randy Rhoads' Dee as there was quite a buzz on the net about this guy last week.

http://soundcloud.com/brolex/dee
You can find me on youtube as "tabreader" as well.
nice played.. when can teach me play
keitai@japan
post Jul 8 2012, 10:33 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

kirovdust...a guitar expert biggrin.gif

Added on July 11, 2012, 12:53 am
QUOTE(evo.com @ Jun 23 2005, 10:31 PM)
i know RGs wouldve suck without their necks but hey... they're not that bad tongue.gif

Generally older RG guitars are either fitted with the Edge, TRS or the Edge pro 2. Newer ones would be the Edge pro and the Edge pro 3(2005). The Edge and the Edge pro are considered tobe the better ones among those listed, mainly because its well constructed and it doesnt break that easily (vai anyone?)
These are highly reliable and most ppl even think that they're on par or even better than the original floyds ( well its pretty biased considering the fact that that group of "ppl" are all RG users)

Most of them are made of Basswood, which is quite light if compared to Mahogony.

Sound: Most ppl think that RGs are "metal" guitars, well personally i think thats just full of crap, the tone does not come from the wood of the guitar yo. Its like saying that strats can only be used for country and blues.

Pros:
Reliable. Very solid and playable.
Cheap? Well the higher end RGs such as the Jcustoms, prestige, Jems, JSs are all available to guitarist at reasonable prices(imo). You money really goes to the construction of the guitar itself and not the brand(not that much smile.gif )
Light. As ive said b4, its light. Wont break your neck thumbup.gif
Neck. Wizard I and II(most of them), thin, fast and smooth.

Cons:
Pickups. the Vs, Powersounds, IBZ Dimarzio. Well... some would disagree with me on this but they suck. Sorry if i offended anyone but dont just take my word for it, go and try it on your own or look up the net. With a neutral body such as basswood, its essential to have decent pickups (Kent Armstrong, Dimarzio, SD, EMGs, Tom andersons etc)
Finish. Man... im not sure if its only me or not, but the RG that i have chips very easily. For someone like me *ehem its not easy to "not" bang into something. I learnt this the hard way... only realise the few chips after a few days, yea pretty sad.

Hopefully this sums things up. Eventhou they're pointy but they're not metal guitars smile.gif
thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
triple thumb ups for RG~ rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by keitai@japan: Jul 11 2012, 12:53 AM
defcon4
post Aug 25 2012, 04:38 PM

12 posts

some tracks by me
some still under construction

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
felixyukito
post Aug 28 2012, 04:54 PM

Casual
483 posts

Why recently ppl post their tracks in guitar dictionary geh? haha, for us to refer back what is 'music' or the meaning of 'guitar' ? tongue.gif
Augustua
post Sep 7 2012, 01:45 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(xnobys @ Jun 24 2005, 07:15 PM)
any of you own or tried guitar with an active pu?
physical characteristic is fine but i'm more interested on the sound characteristic of the guitar.
superb explanation on LP but what about SG, Explorer, V?
you guys have any idea how much does this cost ?
Ulysses
post Oct 29 2012, 12:00 AM

尤利西斯
2,822 posts

QUOTE(ZintanthraX @ Aug 18 2010, 03:20 PM)
d tone differs.semi hollow suits jazzy,bluesy,slo rock solo's or play,while solid body,is more versatile 2 me(no need 2 mention how they sound,evrybdy noes laugh.gif)...
dont go 4 semi hollows if u wanna play metal.sounds horrible...

1 more think,dont buy a guitar jz bcz of its cosmetic.tone is more important.
just wondering.. about Wes Borland signature guitar, cv820wb... he takes that guitar on limp bzkit style metal riff quite nice though..
how is this possible? hmm.gif i mean, yea we have mindset of "semi hollow suits jazzy,bluesy,slo rock solo's or play"..
hmm.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by Ulysses: Oct 29 2012, 05:19 PM
ariffdude
post Oct 29 2012, 07:16 PM

On my way
628 posts

It's all in the amp/pedal. You put in a Dual Rectifier or a Thunderverb to just about anything and it can sound metal. Booster such as tubescreamers are also commonly used to color the sound even more, and adding more gain.
Ulysses
post Oct 29 2012, 09:58 PM

尤利西斯
2,822 posts

QUOTE(ariffdude @ Oct 29 2012, 07:16 PM)
It's all in the amp/pedal. You put in a Dual Rectifier or a Thunderverb to just about anything and it can sound metal. Booster such as tubescreamers are also commonly used to color the sound even more, and adding more gain.
what is feedback? hmm.gif
regiuseven
post Oct 29 2012, 10:14 PM

/k/ & /mu/
1,533 posts

I believe they can be gated. Some love feedbacks (not too much tho) to excite sounds up, like I do.
quarantined
post Oct 30 2012, 12:20 AM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

Our mindset could always be wrong wink.gif For heavy music, guitars often does not make as much difference as to amps, like ariffdude said.

Anyway that's a very cool Yamaha signature model..
pleasuresaurus
post Oct 30 2012, 02:20 AM

spin spin sugar
2,574 posts

Controllable feedback is absolutely delicious! I've only really been able to harness it properly once, at a studio using a Blackstar halfstack and a Sham Kamikaze signature Squier Strat. I dunno what it is about the single coils but they give in to feedback so easily and musically its just gorgeous. Need to figure how to accurately replicate it with humbuckers pulak
Ulysses
post Oct 30 2012, 08:23 AM

尤利西斯
2,822 posts

QUOTE(quarantined @ Oct 30 2012, 12:20 AM)
Our mindset could always be wrong wink.gif For heavy music, guitars often does not make as much difference as to amps, like ariffdude said.

Anyway that's a very cool Yamaha signature model..
yea.i like that kind of guitar. equipped with f-hole yet able to drive metal stuff wth ease. JD of pop shuvit uses one.he told me,that price is 10k smthing.
quarantined
post Oct 30 2012, 09:34 AM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

Wow.. didn't know it is that exp$$$!! I will still stick to non hollow bodies if i were to play heavier stuff live though, they can somewhat dampen the attack, and feed back could be a prob..

The other Yamaha sig I liked quite a lot is the Troy Van Leeuwn sig like this one:
user posted image

Never seen one of these in person.
echobrainproject
post Oct 30 2012, 03:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
4,765 posts

QUOTE(Ulysses @ Oct 29 2012, 12:00 AM)
just wondering.. about Wes Borland signature guitar, cv820wb... he takes that guitar on limp bzkit style metal riff quite nice though..
how is this possible?  hmm.gif  i mean, yea we have mindset of "semi hollow suits jazzy,bluesy,slo rock solo's or play".. 
hmm.gif

user posted image
I've played w JD's Wes Borland's guitar. Definitely a very nicely built guitar. Its not as acoustically loud or 'hollow' as other semi hollow's ive tried. Not your typical semi hollow but very versatile guitar (hey it can take metal).
InfernalHardy
post Nov 16 2012, 06:38 PM

2 posts

I just hate to be in one corner. I hate to be put as only a guitar player, or either only as a songwriter, or only as a tap dancer. I like to move around. I play a Gibson style model lead guitar…..
sdcenturysean
post Oct 21 2013, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

user posted image

Product Details

ESP LTD F-350 Electric Guitar - Black

Neck Thru Body
25.5” Scale
Mahogany Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
42mm Locking Nut
Extra Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
ESP Tuners
Floyd Rose Special Bridge
EMG 81 (B & N) Active p.u.
Finish: Black

sdcenturysean
post Oct 24 2013, 03:59 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

user posted image thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

KH-2 OUIJA BLACK

Neck-Thru-Body
25.5” Scale
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
Locking Nut
42mm Neck Width
24 XJ Frets
Black Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Floyd Rose Original Bridge
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: BLK w/ Ouija Graphic
sdcenturysean
post Oct 24 2013, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

user posted image

KH-2 VINTAGE

Neck-Thru-Body
25.5” Scale
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Locking Nut
42mm Neck Width
24 XJ Frets
Black Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Floyd Rose Original Bridge
EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: Distressed BLK w/ Stickers

icon_rolleyes.gif
sdcenturysean
post Oct 28 2013, 12:26 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

user posted image
Detailed Description

Set-Neck Construction
25.5” Scale
Mahogany Body
Maple Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
43mm Standard Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
Grover Tuners
Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge & Tailpiece
Seymour Duncan Distortion p.u.
Finish: GMB w/ Black Nickel Diamond Plate

This post has been edited by sdcenturysean: Oct 28 2013, 12:27 PM
sdcenturysean
post Oct 28 2013, 12:31 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

user posted image

Specification:

· Set–Thru

· 25.5" Scale

· Alder Body

· Maple Neck

· Rosewood Fingerboard

· 43mm Standard Nut

· Extra Thin U Neck Contour

· 24 XJ Frets

· Black Nickel Hardware

· Grover Tuners

· TOM Bridge

· EMG 81 Active Pickup

· BLK Finish w/ Screaming Skull Graphic
pj_guitarist
post Apr 3 2014, 04:02 PM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(Augustua @ Sep 7 2012, 01:45 PM)
you guys have any idea how much does this cost ?
how much what cost? LP, SG, Flying V? all have different class, LP studio, Standard, Custom.
pj_guitarist
post Apr 3 2014, 04:09 PM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(Ulysses @ Oct 29 2012, 09:58 PM)
what is feedback?  hmm.gif
feedback in this context is a signal that is return within a loop. There's negative feedback and positive feedback, negative feedback takes away your sound everytime it went into the loop, and positive feedback will add up the sound, in which the guitarist sometimes find a sweet spot in front their amps to get crazy harmonics. try imagine u sing a song into microphone , the microphone will enlarge ur voice via amp, and then let's say you sing directly in front o the amp, then the microphone will catch your enlarged voiced coming from you and the amp itself, this will create an even larger sound, and thus a good example of positive feedback? can u imagine that? negative feedback is just u losing signals in the sound loop chain.
pj_guitarist
post Apr 3 2014, 04:12 PM

Regular
1,625 posts

QUOTE(pleasuresaurus @ Oct 30 2012, 02:20 AM)
Controllable feedback is absolutely delicious! I've only really been able to harness it properly once, at a studio using a Blackstar halfstack and a Sham Kamikaze signature Squier Strat. I dunno what it is about the single coils but they give in to feedback so easily and musically its just gorgeous. Need to figure how to accurately replicate it with humbuckers pulak
wtf u selling mayones, and your using a squire strat? don't like humbuckers at all?
jay209
post Jun 18 2014, 01:29 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

Anybody here heard of ESP Random Star?
mandrew
post Jul 14 2014, 11:18 PM

2 posts

Anybody knows from where I can buy the Ovation Acoustic Guitar (with built-in pickup) in Johor Bahru area?
Thanks in advance
sneal
post Aug 29 2014, 08:46 PM

1 posts

Hi, I have what I was told is a pro series jackson rr3. It is trans red in color, has a reverse head stock, bolt on neck anf it looks like an rr3. But it has emgs and what I was told are pewter fittings (jackson Floyd rose double locking tremolo bridge, machine heads, scratch plate, adjuster knobs and switch end)

So my question is... what the heck kind of randy Rhodes guitar is this???

I got it shipped from Michigan, and don't really have any paperwork on it. Heck I don't even know what kind of emgs it has, and I cant find any other pewter floyd rose floating tremolo bridge)

I can take pictures if that helps. Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by sneal: Aug 30 2014, 08:12 AM
Gamerboi007
post Oct 27 2016, 11:18 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(sneal @ Aug 29 2014, 08:46 PM)
Hi, I have what I was told is a pro series jackson rr3. It is trans red in color, has a reverse head stock, bolt on neck anf it looks like an rr3. But it has emgs and what I was told are pewter fittings (jackson Floyd rose double locking tremolo bridge, machine heads, scratch plate, adjuster knobs and switch end)

So my question is... what the heck kind of randy Rhodes guitar is this???

I got it shipped from Michigan, and don't really have any paperwork on it. Heck I don't even know what kind of emgs it has, and I cant find any other pewter floyd rose floating tremolo bridge)

I can take pictures if that helps. Thanks smile.gif

Trst
Gandalf87
post Mar 31 2017, 10:09 PM

8 posts

incredible guide dude. been looking for stuff on it. new to it and although i have played on a couple of models, i wasn't sure what was what. have only played a les paul and a fender strato thus far
Ralmy1990
post Apr 19 2018, 01:16 PM

5 posts

so expensive wish i had one
scofficial P
post Apr 20 2019, 09:20 PM

Probation
2 posts

this one is the RGT
http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/images/2005/P1010084.JPG 

this one is the RG
http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/images/2005/P1010061.JPG 

This one is the RGA
http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/images/2005/P1010041.JPG 

this is helpful thankuou so much
chelseybobby P
post Apr 24 2019, 03:13 AM

Probation
20 posts

Hi everyone,
I make a guitar for with wood at home. I don't think that I can make it, but by making it I am so happy...Ooooooo yehhhh....
chelseybobby P
post Apr 25 2019, 03:40 AM

Probation
20 posts

I have no idea about this now but ensure you that give the idea further.
chelseybobby P
post Apr 30 2019, 04:41 AM

Probation
20 posts

LP studio is a big platform of music. But I have no cost idea about it.
chelseybobby P
post May 11 2019, 02:40 PM

Probation
20 posts

I play in a guitar, record it and also listen to it in a headphone. Then feel I need a studio to compose a piece of music.
chelseybobby P
post May 11 2019, 02:41 PM

Probation
20 posts

Your info gives me honorable inspiration playing on a guitar.
Thanks a lot.
chelseybobby P
post May 13 2019, 02:32 AM

Probation
20 posts

One day I listen to the sounds of a guitar in an earplug the sounds like to me a melody. I feel it heartily. Its touch my heart so closely.
chelseybobby P
post May 15 2019, 02:07 PM

Probation
20 posts

In my LP studio, I track my first song of mine.
chelseybobby P
post May 18 2019, 11:43 PM

Probation
20 posts

In my opinion, the cost price will be more than what we aspect. In making an LP studio, there need some lot of things which music related.
chelseybobby P
post May 22 2019, 02:55 PM

Probation
20 posts

QUOTE(mandrew @ Jul 14 2014, 11:18 PM)
Anybody knows from where I can buy the Ovation Acoustic Guitar (with built-in pickup) in Johor Bahru area?
Thanks in advance
The answer in your comment is present. Ovation Acoustic Guitar is one of the best guitars for everyone. thumbup.gif
chelseybobby P
post May 25 2019, 12:03 AM

Probation
20 posts

QUOTE(pj_guitarist @ Apr 3 2014, 04:09 PM)
feedback in this context is a signal that is return within a loop. There's negative feedback and positive feedback, negative feedback takes away your sound everytime it went into the loop, and positive feedback will add up the sound, in which the guitarist sometimes find a sweet spot in front their amps to get crazy harmonics. try imagine u sing a song into microphone , the microphone will enlarge ur voice via amp, and then let's say you sing directly in front o the amp, then the microphone will catch your enlarged voiced coming from you and the amp itself, this will create an even larger sound, and thus a good example of positive feedback? can u imagine that? negative feedback is just u losing signals in the sound loop chain.
Very useful information. It means catching the sound is positive feedback, and losing the sound is negative feedback.
Thanks
chelseybobby P
post May 25 2019, 12:05 AM

Probation
20 posts

How a singer perform in the stage? Have any special IQ?
Zontes P
post Sep 24 2019, 08:33 PM

Probation
8 posts

Guys, should I get RGA42FM or GRX70QA for my first guitar?
quarantined
post Sep 25 2019, 05:00 PM

Create Not Imitate
3,390 posts

QUOTE(Zontes @ Sep 24 2019, 08:33 PM)
Guys, should I get RGA42FM or GRX70QA for my first guitar?
it's not advisable to get a cheap guitar with tremolo system
poplar also are not a great tonewood imo
RGA42FM is a better choice
JakobLange P
post Nov 27 2019, 10:19 PM

Probation
7 posts

If you want to start, try it, why not?!
FrancescoJ P
post Nov 28 2019, 02:35 AM

Probation
2 posts

Looking for Guitar Lessons?

Contact 0124662604 (via Whatsapp).

1 to 1 lessons. We specialize in Acoustic, Classical & Electric for all levels.

Located in Bangsar.

https://pictr.com/images/2019/11/28/5uZ0lP.png
Brandonwoo17
post May 8 2020, 11:30 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi, was wondering is Ibanez GAX 30 still relevant in 2020?
raccoon2 P
post Oct 10 2021, 03:58 PM

Probation
2 posts

thanks
bruh_06 P
post Dec 26 2022, 04:31 PM

Probation
1 posts

Hi Lowyat Forum! I have been playing my acoustic guitar for 3 years and am planning to get an electric guitar now to feel the oomph! I have been training relative pitch and want to practice my techniques on solos with electric guitars. i want a budget friendly electric guitar around RM1300(with AMP) to play around with. i have narrowed down my options to The Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS, The Ibanez GRX70qa. Or is there better guitars at this price range i should look for..? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0684sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:29 PM