Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guitars The Guitar Dictionary, What's a Strat ? LP ? Describe 'Em All

views

mmmaak
post Feb 13 2009, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(TheWhacker @ Jun 24 2005, 10:28 AM)
Why all electric guitar wan ? .... Acoustic guitars can right ? ... i mean it's the "guitar Paradise" ....
How Body Shapes Affect Tone Production
Well .... the bigger the guitar, the louder it will sound (huh!) and, consequently, the body width and depth will produce more bass response.
This is not necessarily true. There are many, many different factors that affect the final tone of an acoustic instrument. Bass response, for example, is affected by the degree of coupling between the soundboard and the back, not simply the body depth. This is quoted from luthier Tim McKnight at the Acoustic Guitar Forum (a great place to hang out if you want to learn more about guitars):

If you mean "volume" (as in loudness) then [body] depth does not control the amount of volume. Body depth [can] influence sound velocity. There are numerous factors that control volume including: top thickness, brace design, brace mass, brace shape, bridge weight, top species, and most importantly the monopole movement of the top.

Speaking in [very] broad generalities:

Any body shape that has flat or squarish upper and lower bout shoulders (like a dred, OM, OOO) [can] have a slight more emphasis on bass response. Any body shape that has rounded upper and lower bout shoulders [can] have a more balanced and even tone from bass to treble. Ultimately the tonal control is in the hands of the person building the guitar. There are lots and lots and lots of factors that influence tone so consider my [generalized] statements with a grain of salt.

I have a 2006 David Webber OM with a body depth of less than 4" and it has good volume for such a small instrument. In short, how a builder voices his instrument (or in the case of a factory guitar, the variables designed into the "blueprint") will have more effect on tone than simply body shape alone.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.62    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:32 PM