Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Guitar Dictionary, What's a Strat ? LP ? Describe 'Em All (Guitars)

views

led_zep_freak
post Jun 23 2005, 06:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,222 posts

QUOTE(XCcude @ Jun 23 2005, 05:58 PM)
guitar is a guitar.. bible is a bible.. dont mix it.. dude... u mean guitar dictionary
It's just a metaphorlar, I don't find anything wrong with it.

If that's the case, are you saying we shouldn't mix guitar with God too???

laugh.gif
led_zep_freak
post Jun 23 2005, 06:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,222 posts

Model : Telecaster
Brand : Fender
Nickname : Tele
Genre : Country, Blues, Rock. (Very popular for experimenting lately, tho!)

user posted image
Telecaster, then-named Broadcaster was Fender's first solid body electric guitar. Teles are famous for its bright sound due to the nature of their singlecoil pickups, especially the bridge which cuts your ears with its high treble frequency. The neck pickup, though, on the other spectrum of the world - sounds warm while the middle position provides a great out-of-phase sound.

On the downside, the contour of Tele (still is) wasn't designed properly & the body is basically a chunk of wood, thus sinking into your ribs when playing, making it barely a choice for beginners. Though, if much is spend on it, one would be rewarded as much as Teles are the sweetest guitars in the world. thumbup.gif

Famous Users : Keith Richards (Rolling Stones), Jeff Buckley, Radiohead (Both guitarists), Bruce Springsteen, John 5, Andy Summers (The Police).

Soundclips :
Neck Position : Led Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown
Middle Position : Solo of Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven'
Bridge Position : Any Rolling Stones riff!

Others : Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, Rolling Stones' Satisfaction, John 5's Sugarfoot Rag, the Police's Message In A Bottle & Radiohead's Creep (Tho Johnny Greenwood made some modifications to his Tele).

Had nbtd lol.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by led_zep_freak: Jun 23 2005, 06:27 PM
led_zep_freak
post Jun 23 2005, 07:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,222 posts

nbtd again... tongue.gif Rough description of the strat (I wouldn't know how 60s & 50s strats differ!).

Model : Stratocaster
Brand : Fender
Nickname : Strat
Genre : Blues, Rock & basically everything else too (Strats are very versatile!).

user posted image

Possibly the world's most famous electric guitar, Strat were introduced by Fender after the introduction of Gibson's Les Pauls. Strats were spotted with a modern look - double cutaway, perfectly contoured body, a lovely 3 singlecoil-pickup configuration, a volume knob & 2 tone knobs. Not to forget the then-revolutionary bridge & whammy bar!

Strats are famous for its versatility & twangy singlecoil sounds. Because of the latter, strats were a popular instrment for modern blues guitarists. The former, tho give you an idea that strats could also be seen in metal gigs. The position of the volume knob means that violining effects could be achived easily compared to LPs and Telecasters. Plus, its design prooved to be popular among guitarists as it was widely copied by other manufactures.

The neck position gives a very warm bluesy sound (Suitable for blues soloing) while the bridge is bright sounding (Great for riffing!). The middle position is everything in between. Position 2 & 4 give the famous Strat out-of-phase sound, which is the highlight of the strat IMHO! If those weren't enough, the 2 tone pots should be on one's disposal for tone shaping.

Verdict, a very, very versatile guitar & great for beginners. Hey, millions of guitarists can't be wrong!

Famous Users : Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hank Marvin (The Shadows), John Mayer, Tom Delonge (Blink 182), John Fruciante (RHCP), those 2 blokes from Iron Maiden.

Soundclips :
Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, Stevie Ray Vaughan's Pride And Joy, Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, Jeff Beck's Nadia & Yngwie Malmsteen's Far Beyond The Sun.
post Sep 9 2005, 02:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,222 posts

2 Volume & 2 Tone, each pair's hooked to their respective pickups.
led_zep_freak
post Sep 14 2005, 10:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,222 posts

Nope, he used a kill switch... a switch/button that would kill your sound instantly, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway you could achieve this effect by using a tremolo pedal. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
led_zep_freak
post Nov 19 2005, 10:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,222 posts

QUOTE(tytons @ Nov 19 2005, 10:31 PM)
hmm but if ur swtich is on the bridge pickup...it wont be reading anything from the neck pickup rite?

which of those in the pics below?
Nope, unless you wire the pickups wrongly. XD

tytons, you'ill be whackerized for causing uncessary GAS to LYn members!
Anyway he's refering to the Les Paul on the far left. thumbup.gif

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0356sec    2.99    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th December 2019 - 02:30 AM