Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

V3. Swiftlet Keeping Discussion, Home of Fuciphagus Domesticus

views

West Wing
post Nov 10 2011, 11:06 AM

Regular
1,397 posts

QUOTE(Edward Wai @ Nov 8 2011, 06:40 PM)
Let's wait for another week as there is meeting between M'sia health minister and China counterparts this week. If there is good outcome, sure the price will go up, and the crisis will be over too.

Time is running short and still no visible solution at sight so I believe those still with nests will need to wait much much longer for a better price as buyers aren't buying for CNY soon as they do not have time to process the nests in time for the festival.

I was sad that some local buyers are selling low to China buyers as they still make alot of money from buying very low recently and with it goes our chances to sell higher as China buyers now need not buy directly from us and can get better deal from our local buyers.

So, don't be surprise if the price still remain low immediately after the approval of Malaysian nests into China and the increment of price will only take effect after CNY provided if sales of EBN is good for the CNY.

Many Chinese Friends in China which I met few days ago in China knew about the Red nests crisis and were angry about it but still got a harsh lecture from me because 10 years ago, when I gave them the white nests, all of them didn't like the whites and only told me that they only take Red Nests and Reds are the bests nests even after my explanation of adulteration and impurities of the Red nests.....now, they suffer because of their ignorance and stubbornness on the matter concerned.

It may take some time before that Rich Chinese will take EBN daily so we all need to be patient and wait out the crisis.

Above, are my view on the price of EBN future and I hope that I am wrong about the waiting period........and hope that the price will increase even as I post now...

coolandy
post Nov 10 2011, 04:11 PM

Casual
314 posts

Patiently waiting for the prices to rebound. For those servicing loans on their BHs, I hope the waiting period is not too long and will be able to ride out the current uncertainties.
aeiou228
post Nov 11 2011, 04:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,829 posts

Can I bring along with me (check-in baggage) 2 pcs raw unprocessed bird's nests to London via KLIA without declaring it ? Or is there any procedures to comply with ?

This post has been edited by aeiou228: Nov 11 2011, 04:24 PM
West Wing
post Nov 13 2011, 03:25 PM

Regular
1,397 posts

These days are unlike our days, people use thousands of tweeters in their BHs and just afew days ago, I went into a 2 years BH changing all tweeters.

Personally, I find it wasteful but I am there without the blessing of the owner and was equally surprised at the number of tweeters used. I said to myself " Oh my God", over 3000 tweeters in a 3S BH of 30 by 70 spending over 20K just for the new system.

I am not there to judge but personally, I was surprise and still am at what kind of consultant would advice so and maybe, I am outdated but really. is it really necessary to have so many tweeters in a BH...basically, 2 to 4 tweeters every 2 feets. If I am a swiftlet, I will be blurred and confused in such place but maybe, someone here can enlighten me on the matter and maybe, this it the latest way to do BH as I maybe outdated.

Question that I would ask friends here is that does it work?
Do more tweeters produce more birds to stay?
I find these crazy or am I crazy and stubborn and old fashioned not to believe in the latest method of BH sciences. Personally, I rather use better tweeters than to invest in so much tweeters and in order to support so many tweeters, he uses 10 amplifiers.

Hopefully, someone here can really put me back to the newest methods of BH technology.
wkng
post Nov 13 2011, 05:10 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(West Wing @ Nov 13 2011, 03:25 PM)
These days are unlike our days, people use thousands of tweeters in their BHs and just afew days ago, I went into a 2 years BH changing all tweeters.

Personally, I find it wasteful but I am there without the blessing of the owner and was equally surprised at the number of tweeters used. I said to myself " Oh my God", over 3000 tweeters in a 3S BH of 30 by 70 spending over 20K just for the new system.

I am not there to judge but personally, I was surprise and still am at what kind of consultant would advice so and maybe, I am outdated but really. is it really necessary to have so many tweeters in a BH...basically, 2 to 4 tweeters every 2 feets. If I am a swiftlet, I will be blurred and confused in such place but maybe, someone here can enlighten me on the matter and maybe, this it the latest way to do BH as I maybe outdated.

Question that I would ask friends here is that does it work?
Do more tweeters produce more birds to stay?
I find these crazy or am I crazy and stubborn and old fashioned not to believe in the latest method of BH sciences. Personally, I rather use better tweeters than to invest in so much tweeters and in order to support so many tweeters, he uses 10 amplifiers.

Hopefully, someone here can really put me back to the newest methods of BH technology.
maybe we can discuss this, i noticed the same when i add tweeter, the bird number increase. birds like to attach there and stay overnight. it can be a technic to attract more birds to stay overnights and finally buld nest there. owever, question here is how many is suitable. that mb other friends can comment it.
tigerwui
post Nov 14 2011, 11:07 AM

26 posts

My BH 20'X60' one storey with 76pcs internal tweeter. Is it enough? hmm.gif Also, I realize My Sifu using internal sound as guiding sound for the bird to get into nesting area. Guiding should be internal or external sound? hmm.gif I read from some ppl blog to put external sound at the back of BH, do I need to do so?
coolandy
post Nov 14 2011, 11:19 AM

Casual
314 posts

Simply put, is there a limit to the number of tweeters? I think that is what WW wants to know, and many of us too.
northface
post Nov 14 2011, 03:04 PM

Casual
359 posts

For my previous few BHs, basically I calculate how many tweeter I use using total area divided by 10. So basically every tweeter for 10 sq.ft space.

20x80 3 story BH = 480 tweeter.

This is not universal but basically make sure every plank has couple tweeter on it. Both ends and at where planks meet. I remember my 1st BH the CONsultant used less than 100 tweeters for 24x70 3 story BH. After 1 year I added couple hundred tweeters and the growth effect was really noticeable.

Of course normally we put tweeters at corners and both ends because new birds love to make 90 degree nest (it's easier). But don't expect new BH to have 180 deg nests even if you add a ton of speakers on just a straight plank. Maybe some but very little.

Over 3000 tweeters seem like overdoing it, is there even space for birds to nest with that many speakers? 500+ tweeters in a 3 story BH already seem like a lot
West Wing
post Nov 14 2011, 08:40 PM

Regular
1,397 posts

Let me share just my experience in tweeters and as I am not a consultant, you are safe with me if you think I talk sense although old but the truth.

1. Tweeters are very importance to the success of BH as all do know but there are many other factors to consider which are equally important.
2. I would think that enough is enough and too many like thousands are waste of money and the only one gain here is your Consultant.The first thing the consultant will tell you that this wall or that must go and that all tweeters are not correct and must be rewired otherwise, where to make money and no one now pay consultation fee anymore. ( 20 years ago, new biz payed 12K for consultation only)
3. Listen to me and you would not regret is that if your BH fails, the least possibility is your number of tweeters as most of you have already too many tweeters rather I shall say and advice is your quality of tweeters and sound arrangement and also the sound if the problem is about the sound system.
4. Just do afew adjustment to your BH initially and not waste all your precious money cos these money can be of better usage like donating to the poor and old.
5. With so many new BHs around, your chance of getting birds surely isn't as good as before.
6. Old cases bring back memories of failed BHs just corrected by shifting tweeters and changing afew strategic corners using good quality tweeters which may solve your BHs provided that your BH does has birds entering but not making nests or rather building home.
7. Always try out the cheapest way and easiest methods before the big spending for nothing as no consultant do promise you results and you end the same as lesser cash only.
8. Please don't listen to rumor that such and such neighboring BHs have increment of thousands and yours only tens as I have been into a BH which the owner claim to have over 5000 nests but when I was there, I found it to be a joke cos a thousand maybe but surely not 2000 nests and not to mention 5K!!!! The owner may has reason to lie like "Kia Su" or maybe trying to convince some new bizs to buy his newly build BHs.

Above are just reminders and no reference to anyone or blog.

wkng
post Nov 14 2011, 11:15 PM

11 posts

agreed ww. we can always try it out and be patient about the outcome. I tried to use ext sound in house to attract bird and it works. birds hangs there and stay overnight. u can try to put few tweeter at back and wired to ext sound. check out the result.
however recently I found some speakers malfunction. after check the problem come from the wire. the copper inside melted. any idea what wire is the suitable one. I believe the copper not pure enough and melted when working in 24 hours basis.
West Wing
post Nov 15 2011, 10:27 AM

Regular
1,397 posts

QUOTE(wkng @ Nov 14 2011, 11:15 PM)
agreed ww. we can always try it out and be patient about the outcome. I tried to use ext sound in house to attract bird and it works. birds hangs there and stay overnight. u can try to put few tweeter at back and wired to ext sound. check out the result.
however recently I found some speakers malfunction. after check the problem come from the wire. the copper inside melted. any idea what wire is the suitable one. I believe the copper not pure enough and melted when working in 24 hours basis.
Yes, external sound will only pull the swiftlet to your entrance hole and you need to make sure that the birds fly right into your BH by extending the sound to the interior of the BH by adding tweeters (exernal sound) into the nesting area and stop there; then the internal sound shall ake over from there.

Olden time, we use the cheapest wire and that cause the melting of wire but then we didn't use so many tweeters. The cheap wire maybe inferior and therefore easily to burn if too much current pass thru and it advantages was that it save your amplifier incase of short circuit in the system by melting away where else, nowaday with good quality wire, the amp. burn out if there is any short circuit in the system......many fellow owners asked about their constant burning of amps and I told them to check for any short circuit of tweeters in their system as most of these are cause by the accidentally shorting cause by birds.

So, if you are changing tweeters, make sure that the connection is secured and strong, otherwise, your next problem shall be a burned out amp.
northface
post Nov 15 2011, 11:51 AM

Casual
359 posts

Use those 30 core fajar brand audio cables, like rm90++ for 100 meter those are pretty reliable.

I use nothing less than 30 core because of experience from CONsultants using sub-par cables causing a lot of headache.
tigerwui
post Nov 15 2011, 02:04 PM

26 posts

QUOTE(West Wing @ Nov 15 2011, 10:27 AM)
Yes,  external sound will only pull the swiftlet to your entrance hole and you need to make sure that the birds fly right into your BH by extending the sound to the interior of the BH by adding tweeters (exernal sound) into the nesting area and stop there; then the internal sound shall ake over from there.

Olden time, we use the cheapest wire and that cause the melting of wire but then we didn't use so many tweeters. The cheap wire maybe inferior and therefore easily to burn if too much current pass thru and it advantages was that it save your amplifier incase of short circuit in the system by melting away where else, nowaday with good quality wire, the amp. burn out if there is any short circuit in the system......many fellow owners asked about their constant burning of amps and I told them to check for any short circuit of tweeters in their system as most of these are cause by the accidentally shorting cause by birds.

So, if you are changing tweeters, make sure that the connection is secured and strong, otherwise, your next problem shall be a burned out amp.
Dear WKNG & WW,

Thanks for your advice, i will try add some tweeter (external sound) as guiding sound into nesting room. How about at the very back end of the nesting area? Do I need to add tweeter (external sound) as well? I always see birds hanging on the speaker in front of nesting room and not dare to fly into deeper.
coolandy
post Nov 15 2011, 03:03 PM

Casual
314 posts

The conductor of many cheap cables are not made of pure copper. Some got iron mixed into it and will easily rust. Some are mixed with aluminium and prone to oxidation.

Try using pure copper conductor cables. Try burning with a cigarette lighter. The pure copper ones will not melt or burned out.
wkng
post Nov 15 2011, 04:57 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(northface @ Nov 15 2011, 11:51 AM)
Use those 30 core fajar brand audio cables, like rm90++ for 100 meter those are pretty reliable.

I use nothing less than 30 core because of experience from CONsultants using sub-par cables causing a lot of headache.
ww it true, the cheap wire cuasing more problem in long term. so we have to ensure the right type of the wire to be used to avoid this problem. Thanks and appreciate it.

just went to a shop to see whether can set a new bh there. but notice houses just too near and behind the shop.... ai. can anyone comment if we use the open roof type, will the sound still disturn the neighbour ? i saw a nearby bh, no sound at all. but still can see birds hanging around... not sure what sound he used or no sound at all.

Added on November 15, 2011, 5:02 pm
QUOTE(tigerwui @ Nov 15 2011, 02:04 PM)
Dear WKNG & WW,

Thanks for your advice, i will try add some tweeter (external sound) as guiding sound into nesting room. How about at the very back end of the nesting area? Do I need to add tweeter (external sound) as well? I always see birds hanging on the speaker in front of nesting room and not dare to fly into deeper.
i put at least two pairs at each span until the back. noticed birds fly there and stay overnight. u may check also the temperature, ventilation at the back as well... opinion only as i also in learning stage.... cheer.

This post has been edited by wkng: Nov 15 2011, 05:02 PM
West Wing
post Nov 15 2011, 05:43 PM

Regular
1,397 posts

QUOTE(wkng @ Nov 15 2011, 04:57 PM)
ww it true, the cheap wire cuasing more problem in long term. so we have to ensure the right type of the wire to be used to avoid this problem. Thanks and appreciate it.

just went to a shop to see whether can set a new bh there. but notice houses just too near and behind the shop.... ai. can anyone comment if we use the open roof type, will the sound still disturn the neighbour ? i saw a nearby bh, no sound at all. but still can see birds hanging around... not sure what sound he used or no sound at all.

Added on November 15, 2011, 5:02 pm

i put at least two pairs at each span until the back. noticed birds fly there and stay overnight. u may check also the temperature, ventilation at the back as well... opinion only as i also in learning stage.... cheer.
If you really study on External and Internal sounds in the market, the successful ones are those external with a little baby sound and internal sound are those with alittle external sound in it. So, how successful the sound is how well they blend the sound together to get good respond from the birds.

So, if you don't have the time and knowledge, leave these to the experts to do it and then sell to you trouble free but then how do you know the good apple from the bad one and there is no testing allow. Feed back from the blogs can be one way but then fake names can be used to spread lies about the goodness of the sound. If I can get 100 friends or fake names to give good comments on my new sound, then many will buy and just Rm300 per disc, hundred buyers will be Rm30K profit and multiply it by afew times and how much do I get? If I come out with a few new sound one year, I don't need to venture into the BH biz and should make enough by inventing and marketing my sounds. Some sounds sell for a few G's and last year one friend told me that he bought a new sound from Indonesia costing RM6K!!! and it's useless and doesn't draw in the birds and I didn't even like the sound when he play it to me before using it at his BHs.

Best way is to get independent trustworthy and reliable tester to do the evaluation of the new sound effectiveness before it can be sold in the market like giving 1 star to 5 stars rating.....and some recommendation on where it is best to be used. This way, everyone will be happy with sellers going to the bank and buyers smiling with the inflow of birds.

Speaking is often easy but getting it done is so difficult but can't I dream? Hopefully, past forum friends here do share their experiences here as we do missed many of our old friends.

This post has been edited by West Wing: Nov 15 2011, 05:44 PM
wkng
post Nov 15 2011, 06:11 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(West Wing @ Nov 15 2011, 05:43 PM)
If you really study on External and Internal sounds in the market, the successful ones are those external with a little  baby sound and internal sound are those with alittle external sound in it. So, how successful the sound is how well they blend the sound together to get good respond from the birds.

So, if you don't have the time and knowledge, leave these to the experts to do it and then sell to you trouble free but then how do you know the good apple from the bad one and there is no testing allow. Feed back from the blogs can be one way but then fake names can be used to spread lies about the goodness of the sound. If I can get 100 friends or fake names to give good comments on my new sound, then many will buy and just Rm300 per disc, hundred buyers will be Rm30K profit and multiply it by afew times and how much do I get? If I come out with a few new sound one year, I don't need to venture into the BH biz and should make enough by inventing and marketing my sounds. Some sounds sell for a few G's and  last year one friend told me that he bought a new sound from Indonesia costing RM6K!!! and it's useless and doesn't draw in the birds and I didn't even like the sound when he play it to me before using it at his BHs.

Best way is to get independent trustworthy and reliable tester to do the evaluation of the new sound effectiveness before it can be sold in the market like giving 1 star to 5 stars rating.....and some recommendation on  where it is best to be used. This way, everyone will be happy with sellers going to the bank and buyers smiling with the inflow of birds.

Speaking is often easy but getting it done is so difficult but can't I dream? Hopefully, past forum friends here do share their experiences here as we do missed many of our old friends.
noticed there are so many version of sound being used. and personally i noticed that when i change the sound periodically, it seems to attract new birds. but this raise worry that the new sound will affected the exisiting birds. so far not enough data to prove it yet. properly friends here can comment that.

and i noticed another habit after ventured this "hobby"- is sentitive to bird chirpping sounds. sometimes when bird passed by, the chirpping will attract you to looks up. hey... just sharing and dont laugh. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by wkng: Nov 15 2011, 06:12 PM
coolandy
post Nov 16 2011, 06:30 PM

Casual
314 posts

Majlis Daerah Tanjong Malim http://www.mdtm.gov.my/web/guest/home has adopted 1GP and their PBT has produced a very good presentation for Swiftlet Ranchers to obtain licensing for their BHs.

Download their guidelines in pdf from the link below:

http://www.mdtm.gov.my/c/document_library/...e=DLFE-3002.pdf

I hope all PBTs can use this as their model.
littlebird
post Nov 17 2011, 09:09 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(coolandy @ Nov 16 2011, 06:30 PM)
Majlis Daerah Tanjong Malim http://www.mdtm.gov.my/web/guest/home has adopted 1GP and their PBT has produced a very good presentation for Swiftlet Ranchers to obtain licensing for their BHs.

thanks for the info. once clear guideline is there, easier for bird people to comply.
West Wing
post Nov 17 2011, 10:21 AM

Regular
1,397 posts

QUOTE(coolandy @ Nov 16 2011, 06:30 PM)

TQ for the Information and shall advice my local Association to study it and make recommendation to the local authorities here. The problem is long overdue and need to act safety to ensure that all are well and we are all safe and not leaving them to the authorities to decide for themselve cos once done, not much we can do later. As election is near, better do before the election for after election cos after election, there shall no other alternative left but to "bang ball".

Believe that you will do likewise, bro.

126 Pages « < 122 123 124 125 126 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0478sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:54 AM