71 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cover Letters / Resume (CVs), One Stop For ALL

views

victorboy
post Apr 24 2005, 02:13 AM

3 ngien yiu 3 ngien :(
1,754 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Mar 29 2005, 12:27 PM)
http://213.186.36.10/~al/alstudio/cv/en.htm

damn nice CV. didn't think it warrants a new thread here, but i can't help but show how CVs are not limited to word documents.

probably i'll make my CV into an FPS. tongue.gif
he, this http://213.186.36.10/~al/alstudio/cv/en.htm[/url] is belong to whose one...wow very impressive and master piece..!!!.....funny and creative.. thumbup.gif
ReWeR
post Apr 24 2005, 02:34 AM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

The number one best way to get someone to look at your resume closely: come across as a human being, not a list of jobs and programming languages. Tell me a little story. "I've spent the last three weeks looking for a job at a real software company, but all I can find are cheezy web design shops looking for slave labor." Or, "We yanked our son out of high school and brought him to Virginia. I am not going to move again until he is out of high school, even if I have to go work at Radio Shack or become a Wal*Mart greeter." (These are slightly modified quotes from two real people.)

These are both great. You know why? Because I can't read them without thinking of these people as human beings. And now the dynamic has changed. I like you. I care about you. I like the fact that you want to work in a real software company. I wanted to work in a real software company so much I started one. I like the fact that you care more about your teenage son than your career.

I just can't care about "C/C++/Perl/ASP" in the same way.

So, maybe you won't be qualified for the job, but it's just a lot harder for me to dismiss you out of hand.
talking about being human being, how about if someone write this? "I've been kicked out from my house, now I'm totally homeless and jobless. If I still unable to find any job, I have no choice but to jump off from your company's building, since it is the highest object in my sight. I guess your company don't mind about a little ghost hauting here and there isn't it? But don't worry I promise my spirit won't make much noise in your company, I'll always appear silently ... "

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
jasper
post Apr 27 2005, 09:30 AM

Getting Started
86 posts

Rewer next time u write it on ya letter k
Kii
post May 13 2005, 09:27 PM

Why so serious?
561 posts

Important tips for freshie!! Make your resume just one page length. You don't have to brag about your academics and activities. Trust me, they don't have time to look through all that.
Just a brief resume(but not too brief la) and attach your smart photo, enough! 90% depends on the job interview.
TSjsm
post May 13 2005, 11:27 PM

IT slave
Group Icon
VIP
4,113 posts

QUOTE(Kii @ May 13 2005, 09:27 PM)
Important tips for freshie!! Make your resume just one page length. You don't have to brag about your academics and activities. Trust me, they don't have time to look through all that.
Just a brief resume(but not too brief la) and attach your smart photo, enough!  90% depends on the job interview.
What makes you think a photo means anything to an employer for a new graduate. They are not hiring people for a modelling job. After interviewing hundreds of new grads I can say that they all pretty much look the same.
Kii
post May 14 2005, 10:04 PM

Why so serious?
561 posts

QUOTE(jsm @ May 13 2005, 11:27 PM)
What makes you think a photo means anything to an employer for a new graduate.  They are not hiring people for a modelling job.  After interviewing hundreds of new grads I can say that they all pretty much look the same.
Looks is ALWAYS the first impression. They won't know your true ability and talent until they hire you. This is especially for freshie who has limited working experience.
So, they can only judge the books by it's cover. Not fair but true. No, photo not only for modelling job ma, right. That's why most application is encourage to include a passport size photo. If you are boss, of course you want to hire someone who's smart, healthy and not look like penagih dadah la....

Have you heard of...a picture tells a thousand words?

And after viewing hundreds of applications, don't you prefer the one with photo attached rather than those with just boring printed or sometimes photocopied resumes? In another word, I believe attaching a photo also exhibit self confidence. Not?

This post has been edited by Kii: May 14 2005, 10:09 PM
TSjsm
post May 14 2005, 10:16 PM

IT slave
Group Icon
VIP
4,113 posts

QUOTE(Kii @ May 14 2005, 10:04 PM)
Looks is ALWAYS the first impression. They won't know your true ability and talent until they hire you. This is especially for freshie who has limited working experience.
So, they can only judge the books by it's cover. Not fair but true. No, photo not only for modelling job ma, right. That's why most application is encourage to include a passport size photo. If you are boss, of course you want to hire someone who's smart, healthy and not look like penagih dadah la....

Have you heard of...a picture tells a thousand words?

And after viewing hundreds of applications, don't you prefer the one with photo attached rather than those with just boring printed or sometimes photocopied resumes? In another word, I believe attaching a photo also exhibit self confidence. Not?
Nope. I couldn't care less about the photo. Any sloppy stinky unconfident person can appear decent in a photo. What always stands out to me in new graduate resumes is outstanding content. A person who truly shows an aptitude or interest often shows in the resume and will distinguish them from those who simply studied a subject because someone told them it was a good career.
Kii
post May 14 2005, 10:41 PM

Why so serious?
561 posts

QUOTE(jsm @ May 14 2005, 10:16 PM)
Nope.  I couldn't care less about the photo.  Any sloppy stinky unconfident person can appear decent in a photo.  What always stands out to me in new graduate resumes is outstanding content.  A person who truly shows an aptitude or interest often shows in the resume and will distinguish them from those who simply studied a  subject because someone told them it was a good career.
If photo can deceiving, so can the resume itself. That's why I said earlier, we won't know the applicant's true identity and ability until you hire him/her. I did not argue that photo is more important than resume...but to make the resume look more complete and sincere.

Outstanding content in resume? LOL. I actually edited mine from a resume writing software and copied a few intelligent words from jobstreet.com. And then borrowed mine to a few of my friends.
patrickyeo21
post May 15 2005, 02:10 AM

Believe in yourself ~
1,335 posts

Hi Guys, I have one problem that I need help from you all...I have 2 yrs working experience and now Im back for study. Therefore I undergo Industrial Training for 4 months. Now what I need is the sample testimonial for my industrial training and my working experience. I need these 2 sample. Can anyone help me? I really appreciate it..Thank you!
jacky
post May 17 2005, 02:13 PM

Freak kiasu
1,271 posts

can somebody explain to me what is:
1. Resume
2. CV
3. Cover Letter

notworthy.gif
JobListed
post May 20 2005, 08:48 PM

49 posts

A resume is a one or two page summary of your education, skills, accomplishments, and experience. Your resume's purpose is to get your foot in the door. A resume does its job successfully if it does not exclude you from consideration.

To prepare a successful resume, you need to know how to review, summarize, and present your experiences and achievements on one page. Unless you have considerable experience, you don't need two pages. Outline your achievements briefly and concisely.

Your resume is your ticket to an interview where you can sell yourself.

Top 10 Qualities Employers Seek
1. Communication skills (verbal and written)
2. Honesty/integrity
3. Teamwork skills (works well with others)
4. Interpersonal skills (relates well to others)
5. Motivation/initiative
6. Strong work ethic
7. Analytical skills
8. Flexibility/adaptability
9. Computer skills
10. Organizational skills

Good luck. biggrin.gif
mwtang
post May 31 2005, 11:20 AM

Enthusiast
760 posts

I still rate communication skills up there. Most employers would like to see how you interact with them. Body Language is important, and last but not least, decent english
dARKaNGEl
post Jun 14 2005, 02:44 AM

Just another helping hand
1,368 posts

ppl post here that a resume should be 2 pages of length maximum. i was thinking, is it really nice to cram everything into 2 sheets of paper?

coz, wouldn't it be too saturated with information. moreover, i think to be able to do that, the font used will have to be small too. is that ok?

as for my current CV, it's in a tabular format. 5 pages long, but i only put those necessary info. it's 5 pages long coz of the table and the font use. it looks neat and clear. dunno whether it's better like that or not.
i would appreciate some comments on this matter.

1 more question. if submit CV tru email, do we still need to attach a cover letter or do we just type it in the email as though the email is the cover letter itself?
TSjsm
post Jun 14 2005, 06:42 AM

IT slave
Group Icon
VIP
4,113 posts

QUOTE(dARKaNGEl @ Jun 14 2005, 02:44 AM)
ppl post here that a resume should be 2 pages of length maximum. i was thinking, is it really nice to cram everything into 2 sheets of paper?

coz, wouldn't it be too saturated with information. moreover, i think to be able to do that, the font used will have to be small too. is that ok?

as for my current CV, it's in a tabular format. 5 pages long, but i only put those necessary info. it's 5 pages long coz of the table and the font use. it looks neat and clear. dunno whether it's better like that or not.

1 more question. if submit CV tru email, do we still need to attach a cover letter or do we just type it in the email as though the email is the cover letter itself?
If you are a new graduate your resume should be no more than 2 pages. You do not need to elaborate at length about all the subjects you have taken but should rather focus on those details that draw attention to you as the best possible candidate.

If you are submitting your CV through email write your cover letter in the email and highlight again why you are the best person for the job you are applying for.

dreamer101
post Jun 14 2005, 09:39 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,855 posts

QUOTE(dARKaNGEl @ Jun 14 2005, 02:44 AM)

Hi,

1) Nobody will spend more than 5 minutes reading your resume. And, normally it will be 2 minutes. So, after 2 mnutes, people will stop reading.. It may be at page 2 or 3 or your resume and they will skip the rest..

2) I worked 20 years and my resume is only 3 pages long... How long had you work??

3) Less is more.. At most, people can only remember one thing about you..

I did sales and marketing too.. The key question is whet is your message that you are trying to put across in your resume. Summarize your message in one sentence. What makes you different from all other applicants that the company want to hire you?? What is your differentiator??

Put the message in the begining of your resume. Then, put the supporting data after that. Get someone to read your resume and time how long it take the person to read your resume. If it is more than 5 minutes, you are in trouble..

Dreamer
dARKaNGEl
post Jun 14 2005, 07:57 PM

Just another helping hand
1,368 posts

QUOTE(jsm @ Jun 14 2005, 06:42 AM)
and  highlight again why you are the best person for the job you are applying for.
thanks for the tips. btw, how do we highlight that we are the best person? could you give some example pls?
masterelr
post Jun 16 2005, 04:27 PM

Enthusiast
987 posts

I've got a question.
If I go for a walk-in interview, do I need to bring a resume with me? What if I don't? Maybe I'm too lazy to make one or something. I mean the interview is more than enough, right? What if I do bring along a resume. Would they still bother going through it?
And lets say that the interview went quite well. But my resume is like the worst resume ever. Would that blow my chance of getting employed?
Thanks for any help.. laugh.gif
TSjsm
post Jun 16 2005, 08:05 PM

IT slave
Group Icon
VIP
4,113 posts

QUOTE(masterelr @ Jun 16 2005, 04:27 PM)
I've got a question.
If I go for a walk-in interview, do I need to bring a resume with me? What if I don't? Maybe I'm too lazy to make one or something.  I mean the interview is more than enough, right? What if I do bring along a resume. Would they still bother going through it?
And lets say that the interview went quite well. But my resume is like the worst resume ever. Would that blow my chance of getting employed?
Thanks for any help.. laugh.gif
In my experience "walk-in" interviews are usually confined to the areas of "unskilled labour" or "blue-collar" work in which your previous skills and work experience are not critical. Like almost any job, the interviewer will be most interested in your attitude and aptitude which are difficult to convey on a resume. So, I believe you are likely to find that most "walk-in" interviews will not really need your resume. But of course it is best to be as fully prepared as possible including a resume.
masterelr
post Jun 23 2005, 03:45 AM

Enthusiast
987 posts

Thanks for the info. I also want to know if a CV is the same as a resume?
TSjsm
post Jun 23 2005, 09:30 AM

IT slave
Group Icon
VIP
4,113 posts

QUOTE(masterelr @ Jun 23 2005, 03:45 AM)
Thanks for the info. I also want to know if a CV is the same as a resume?
In British English, CV is the standard term for what is called a r�sum� in American English.
Wikipedia
In American English usage, a CV will include a comprehensive listing of professional history including every term of employment, academic credential, publication, contribution or significant achievement. In certain professions, it may even include samples of the person's work and may run to many pages. In contrast, a r�sum� is a summary typically limited to one or two pages highlighting only those experiences and credentials which the author considers most relevant to the desired position. CVs are the preferred recruiting tool for academic and medical professions while r�sum�s are generally preferred for business employment.

71 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:51 AM