71 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cover Letters / Resume (CVs), One Stop For ALL

views

p4n6
post Feb 2 2005, 03:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

I got another question (sorry for asking too much, newbie in job seeking) ...

I saw some sample cover letter on the web but most of them sort of tell grandpa stories, too lengthy.

I was thinking whether I can be more straighforward on that? As most HR people will have to go thru so many c-letters, can I just do them a favor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXAMPLE:

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am applying for the position <the name> dated <date> in <wherever>.

My <number> major <experience/background/selling points> that make me suitable for the above position are:

1. <number1 requirement>:
. <1/2 line(s) explaination>

2. <number2 requirement>:

3.<number3 requirement>:

Additionally, <whatever else> make me suitable for this job.

I look forward to hear from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
<my name>

Enc.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Is it alright? I know I never see bullets and numbering on Cover letter ... but if it hits the target of what the HR wants to see ... cry.gif

Just asking for opinion.

This post has been edited by p4n6: Feb 2 2005, 03:56 AM
SUSspanker
post Mar 1 2005, 05:45 PM

Custom Made e-Penis
7,606 posts

p4n6, making your cover letter short is good. I'm not sure how will itemizing your skill sets go over with HR, especially those in malaysia, but they will definitely look at your's first and dumping those 20-page resumes into the paper shredder.

Additionally, you can actually look up templates on how to write resumes and cover letters at the microsoft office website. i don't have the link, use google ya lazy maggot tongue.gif
goldfries
post Mar 1 2005, 06:43 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

actually, i think your CV must supply sufficient information.

if your information can be displayed within 2 pages, then 2 pages it is. this is not an essay that you need 5000 words. if it needs 10, then 10 pages it is. no need to write grandparent stories and how your kitten helps you with your work.
goldfries
post Mar 1 2005, 06:45 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(wern-yuan @ Jan 31 2005, 05:23 AM)
errr,how about resignation letter wor?
can anyone teach me?
or if there is a link to it...please link me to it.
thanx.
refer to Post #11
p4n6
post Mar 1 2005, 10:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(spanker @ Mar 1 2005, 05:45 PM)
p4n6, making your cover letter short is good. I'm not sure how will itemizing your skill sets go over with HR, especially those in malaysia, but they will definitely look at your's first and dumping those 20-page resumes into the paper shredder.
They will not look at your resume (eventhough it's 1 page length) if they are not happy with your Cover Letter or you are not what they are looking for based on your Cover Letter. So, cover letter is more important than a resume.

For Engr student:

Another important thing is that, if you are applying to a big corporation, the HR probably will not know what the hell you are writing on the resume, so make sure they can see what they are looking for - req on the newspaper (BOLD) smile.gif ... If they find that you are suitable, then a technical expert will be asked to view your resume, here they will read the explaination you write (be short and concise).

I do not like to follow cover letter template because they do not have the style that I want or suitable to include what I wanted to say. A business student's cover letter will somehow different from a engineering student. And different type of engineering study probably have different style and things that they want to present to make their Cover Letter looks impressive. And to me, cover letter is a what-you-want-what-i-write type of letter, using a template is pretty difficult to achieve that.

SUSspanker
post Mar 2 2005, 08:50 AM

Custom Made e-Penis
7,606 posts

QUOTE(p4n6 @ Mar 1 2005, 10:20 PM)
They will not look at your resume (eventhough it's 1 page length) if they are not happy with your Cover Letter or you are not what they are looking for based on your Cover Letter. So, cover letter is more important than a resume.

For Engr student:

Another important thing is that, if you are applying to a big corporation, the HR probably will not know what the hell you are writing on the resume, so make sure they can see what they are looking for - req on the newspaper (BOLD) smile.gif ... If they find that you are suitable, then a technical expert will be asked to view your resume, here they will read the explaination you write (be short and concise).
I wouldn't go so far as to say a cover letter is more important, I'd like to think of it as a complement to your resume. Now if you write a bad cover letter, HR might still take time to glance at your 1 page resume. But if you wrote a good cover letter, it wouldn't be read because when a big stack of paper is taken out of the envelope it will just get a big laugh from the office and goes straight to the thrash bin.

You can't be selling all your skills in the application, leave that for the interview. Your concern will be securing an interview in the most effective manner.
p4n6
post Mar 2 2005, 11:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(spanker @ Mar 2 2005, 08:50 AM)
I wouldn't go so far as to say a cover letter is more important, I'd like to think of it as a complement to your resume. Now if you write a bad cover letter, HR might still take time to glance at your 1 page resume. But if you wrote a good cover letter, it wouldn't be read because when a big stack of paper is taken out of the envelope it will just get a big laugh from the office and goes straight to the thrash bin.

You can't be selling all your skills in the application, leave that for the interview. Your concern will be securing an interview in the most effective manner.
The length of a resume should not be more than 2 pages, and try your best not to exceed one for freshgrad. This is a very common understanding from any book or website or advice given. I really doubt you have so many things to write ... if you really do, I believe you should save it for the interview. I will really recommend 2 pages MAXIMUM.

I would not like to talk about a good cover letter and a 20-pages resume, which I think is quite ridiculous. I prefer to talk on a more common and realistic example. Let say 1 page cover letter and a 2-page resume.
Excel
post Mar 4 2005, 03:59 PM

44 posts

Do i have to thank the person after he/she scheduled a interview with me ?( the interview hasn't taken place yet)

This post has been edited by Excel: Mar 4 2005, 04:06 PM
SUSspanker
post Mar 14 2005, 04:03 PM

Custom Made e-Penis
7,606 posts

i'd like to say yes, but then if everyone starts doing it, then it loses it touch doesn't it? Unless you really really really want to work for that company, you'd write back a thank you note, and a special one too! Most people don't care if you write a thank you note or not and you are probably forgotten the moment you walk out of the door. Unless you are a good candidate for shortlisting.
KeonG118
post Mar 21 2005, 02:28 PM

- Do as Infinity -
1,156 posts

it's so useful for me.. coz just quit a job and need to look for a job already.. THX!
cocklea
post Mar 26 2005, 09:24 PM

Droid
5,939 posts

this thread is very helpful i must say coz im about to start on my resume and my cover letter as well. Wish me luck!
goldfries
post Mar 29 2005, 11:27 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

http://213.186.36.10/~al/alstudio/cv/en.htm

damn nice CV. didn't think it warrants a new thread here, but i can't help but show how CVs are not limited to word documents.

probably i'll make my CV into an FPS. tongue.gif
p4n6
post Apr 3 2005, 12:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,826 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Mar 29 2005, 11:27 AM)
http://213.186.36.10/~al/alstudio/cv/en.htm

damn nice CV. didn't think it warrants a new thread here, but i can't help but show how CVs are not limited to word documents.

probably i'll make my CV into an FPS. tongue.gif
I think it will only work for certain jobs. So do not follow this type of CV if you are applying to management level position ...
leo_wshan
post Apr 8 2005, 01:11 PM

20 posts

Try below attached e-book for how to write cover letter, resume, follow-up, etc.
Hope can help you all. smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Making_Resumes_Cover_Letters.pdf ( 385.58k ) Number of downloads: 5722
daniel_wu
post Apr 8 2005, 01:45 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(leo_wshan @ Apr 8 2005, 01:11 PM)
Try below attached e-book for how to write cover letter, resume, follow-up, etc.
Hope can help you all. smile.gif
Yeah this one i want... TQ a lot!!! smile.gif
TYK
post Apr 12 2005, 11:59 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

I have heard the success of job application nowadays are more dependent on relationships, i.e. if you got somebody to recommend you in the company, chances are you most likely get it.

If some outside applicants send letter and resume to the HR through email or by normal mail without anybody to recommend them, most likely they will be ignored.

Is this true?

If this is true then how do we apply to a company without knowing anybody inside?
unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
TSjsm
post Apr 13 2005, 07:59 AM

IT slave
Group Icon
VIP
4,113 posts

QUOTE(TYK @ Apr 12 2005, 11:59 PM)
I have heard the success of job application nowadays are more dependent on relationships, i.e. if you got somebody to recommend you in the company, chances are you most likely get it.

If some outside applicants send letter and resume to the HR through email or by normal mail without anybody to recommend them, most likely they will be ignored.

Is this true?

If this is true then how do we apply to a company without knowing anybody inside?
unsure.gif  unsure.gif  unsure.gif
It is true that the best way to get a job is through your network of contacts. Sending applications through email /normal mail is not particularily effective.

You need to build a network of contacts starting with your friends and family and extend it to include the companies you wish to work for. Attending trade-shows is one way of extending your network. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call to someone else in that company that you may not even know to give you the name of a person they know who is hiring.
pawleo
post Apr 13 2005, 08:17 AM

Getting Started
170 posts

There is a trade show coming up - manufacturers, just on the newspaper The Star 12 April edition. I think its free. Its an advertisment. You have to order the tickets.
andromeeda
post Apr 23 2005, 10:48 AM

44 posts

QUOTE(TYK @ Apr 12 2005, 11:59 PM)

Is this true?

unsure.gif  unsure.gif  unsure.gif
aiyoh, I don't know anyone, all my friends are also unemployed! Some more I was thinking, wouldn't there be some sort of performance anxiety when working, as you know the person who hired you has hired you with high expectations? Plus, if you make a mistake, they would probably blame the contact.

Not that I'm running out of confidence, but I just feel more liberated and confident when I'm on my own and know that I don't owe anyone favours.
TYK
post Apr 24 2005, 01:57 AM

Enthusiast
992 posts

QUOTE(andromeeda @ Apr 23 2005, 10:48 AM)
aiyoh, I don't know anyone, all my friends are also unemployed! Some more I was thinking, wouldn't there be some sort of performance anxiety when working, as you know the person who hired you has hired you with high expectations? Plus, if you make a mistake, they would probably blame the contact.

Not that I'm running out of confidence, but I just feel more liberated and confident when I'm on my own and know that I don't owe anyone favours.
Yes, it's true to better go inside on your own right but the hard truth is those people in HR got too many candidates until they can't screen them one by one.

So, most of the time your resume will stay in the HR mailbox for a very very long time.

71 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:12 AM