Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cover Letters / Resume (CVs), One Stop For ALL

views

Acherleon
post Sep 27 2016, 04:22 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Aug 9 2016, 02:16 PM)
Is it necessary to bring your original graduate certificate/scroll to interviews?

What if you bring like the university result sheet or have a certified letter from faculty that say "This is to certify that ABC has completed XYZ degree in year 123.... ".

Is the alternative way accepted?
not necessary, you can use your academic transcript instead of degree scroll.

Just tell them that you will be getting it later.

So far i never come with academic transcript to interview not even a certification . i just told them what i have and when they request it, i can send to them. usually available in my google drive. i only bring Cv.
beeMay
post Nov 3 2016, 03:36 PM

Dr
647 posts

Great article, I am glad that I had the punctuation matter sorted out.
Is there anyone here kind enough to just check on my cover letter and CV and let me know what you think?
send me a PM or quote me, thanks!

XxAC3xX
post Nov 26 2016, 02:35 PM

Casual
380 posts

Hi there.

Let's say your official job title at your company is 'Sales Executive', but the work that you do is better known as 'Business Development Executive'.

NOTE: I'm not talking about amending hierarchy but rather functional title (e.g. Executive --> Executive; NOT Executive --> Snr. Manager).

Is it unethical/deceptive/illegal to amend job title on resume to better reflect the type of work you actually do (so that it paints a better picture and hence more relevant experience/keyword for the HR in your job hunt)? Would it negatively affect employment background check?

Would appreciate experienced HR thoughts on this. Thanks!
Xarzmarz
post Dec 20 2016, 02:29 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(fuzzy @ Mar 18 2016, 06:09 PM)
6 pg is long, my CEO's is barely 2 pages .. Your CV doesn't need to capture everything, it needs to capture the important things.

1) Remove all the top part.. Focus on either a paragraph on your strengths and objectives, or the purpose of the CV.

2) Again, think about what you want me to focus on, your education or your work experience? Because you placed education first, but given no details. You then place work second, but tons of it. So think which comes first.

3) Work.. too long, just far too long. For responsibility, just a paragraph will do describing in general what your role entails. Experienced gained is not really required. Beef up on your accomplishments, google and see what power words are and use them because at the moment, I only see what you did, not what you accomplished.

For example: Staff purchase @ KPMG, Bandar Utama (NOVEMBER 2014) tells me absolutely nothing about what is the accomplishment here. If you tweaked it slightly, say: "Spearheaded a successful staff purchase campaign for KPMG which yielded RMXXX,XXX in net profit", doesn't that suddenly sound more impactful?

4) This is an usual argument, but I tend to agree to not have your salary in your resume, as it is always negotiable. I know you want to set expectations, but what you do is limiting yourself. If you expect say, RM1000 and I offer you RM500, you can counter and say you want RM1000... but if you outright said you want RM1000 when I wanted to give you RM2000, what you have done is to anchor my mind to RM1000, so in essence losing yourself RM1000. This is different from showing your payslip. Payslip defines how much you are earning now, not how much you are expecting which is what is being conveyed in the CV.

5) Additional information seems redundant, these are the things that can be discussed in a face to face discussion.

6) Your Other Info column would probably be better as the opener to quickly set the expectations of who you are before we look at what you have, so move it up top and combine them into a short paragraph

7) Projects handled seems out of place and have no linked to the information prior and information after, so again, structure. If it is part of your education, group them together. Think of it as an conversation, do you talk about your college, then work, then suddenly go back and talk about what you do in college? so think about the flow.

8) there is some ad's in the last two pages, not sure if it is part of your resume?
Hello..i do have the same problem which is the pages..i tried to cut it short to 2 pages but it seems that many information included before will be left out..i kinda lost what to include first n next info..so far i follow your advice to emphasize my education background due to short on woking experience..as for the education background do i need to include every achievement n involvement at the college or it is unnecessary?also what about the reference and personal skills?
MonfereBlogspot
post Dec 31 2016, 11:12 AM

MonfereBlogspot
1,051 posts

Hi all,

Let's say I can speak Hakka and Hokkien fluently, can I include these 2 languages into my resume as my language skills? Thanks.
Verticalclutch
post Jan 5 2017, 02:20 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(MonfereBlogspot @ Dec 31 2016, 11:12 AM)
Hi all,

Let's say I can speak Hakka and Hokkien fluently, can I include these 2 languages into my resume as my language skills? Thanks.
No.
Verticalclutch
post Jan 5 2017, 02:22 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(XxAC3xX @ Nov 26 2016, 02:35 PM)
Hi there.

Let's say your official job title at your company is 'Sales Executive', but the work that you do is better known as 'Business Development Executive'.

NOTE: I'm not talking about amending hierarchy but rather functional title (e.g. Executive --> Executive; NOT Executive --> Snr. Manager).

Is it unethical/deceptive/illegal to amend job title on resume to better reflect the type of work you actually do (so that it paints a better picture and hence more relevant experience/keyword for the HR in your job hunt)? Would it negatively affect employment background check?

Would appreciate experienced HR thoughts on this. Thanks!
BD is sales bruh.
AnnAnn1338
post Jan 8 2017, 09:17 PM

19 posts

anyone here update linked in or other similar platform regulary?
hareez31
post Jan 13 2017, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Any resume sample or cover letter sample ? a simple one.
~mingwei~
post Jan 16 2017, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

Hi, need advise.. I'm currently working in A company for 7 years, started in 2009 but I resigned in 2013 July for B company. After about 4 month I rejoined A company back due to work stress in B company. Now the question is should I state the 4 months gap (re-sign and re-join) or just state 7 years til present in my resume? Will they do background check on it?
kahkig_Jobvalley
post Jan 20 2017, 07:43 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(hareez31 @ Jan 13 2017, 01:00 PM)
Any resume sample or cover letter sample ? a simple one.
Hi,

This is 1 sample resume you can refer with. It is specially tailored in certain format to capture the attention of employers.
You can create 1 for Free at the website.
Hope it helps. ^^
Attached Image
kahkig_Jobvalley
post Jan 20 2017, 07:48 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(~mingwei~ @ Jan 16 2017, 10:20 AM)
Hi, need advise.. I'm currently working in A company for 7 years, started in 2009 but I resigned in 2013 July for B company. After about 4 month I rejoined A company back due to work stress in B company. Now the question is should I state the 4 months gap (re-sign and re-join) or just state 7 years til present in my resume? Will they do background check on it?
Its always wise to not put any info that is going to put you in a disadvantage in your resume. That being said, you got to prepare a honest and good explanation when the employer ask so. If they dint ask, dnt mention a single word about it. I believe your goal for your resume is to land u an interview opportunity. Thus, make it happen.
Remember to stay simple and right to the point during answering interview questions.
seriousDn
post Feb 2 2017, 05:17 AM

40 posts

removed

This post has been edited by seriousDn: Feb 7 2017, 12:19 PM
86Aries
post Feb 9 2017, 06:44 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

Hi all, I've been working in this company for 9 years and started from the bottom. When writing for resume, should I list down my job scope since the beginning? I've stopped doing some of the task for years (mostly ad hoc tasks), is it still necessary/relevant? Also should I mention my timeline...as in which year I got promoted?

One more, if i want to include my picture, can I just use the picture I took using my mobile?

Thank you for the feedback.
EXBahamut
post Feb 17 2017, 05:21 AM

6 posts

Hey everyone,

I have some questions about Resume since I am currently looking for part time jobs and learning how Malaysia Resume works, but I have some questions:

1. Do I need to put my Chinese name on my resume. My Chinese name is 陈鹏先, but I only used it for my friends from PRC.
2. Aside from gender, age nationality, race, and martial status, what else do I need to add? I already mentioned that I can speak English, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, and Mandarin and write English and Bahasa Indonesia
3. If I work as a trainee for three months and I didn't get the work, should I state and describe the work in Employment History? How about certificate of training completion? Am I going to state the certificate in Education after stating my secondary and tertiary education?
4. Am I going to list certificate in the same section as education or different section?
5. If I still have lots of space, should I list my skills and experience that doesn't fit the job description?
6. Am I going to state list of volunteer I have participated before?
7. Since I don't have contact for references both personal and previous workplace, can I just omit writing "References by request"?
7. Should I write that I joined International club in previous university which is outside of Malaysia? How about Indonesian society in my current university? Although I am Indonesian, I try to avoid associating myself as Indonesian due to personal reason.
8. Should I list that I can use Excel and Word rather than saying Microsoft Office to show my proficiency in using Microsoft products?
If you want to check my resume, you can open this link: Resume

P.S I intentionally omitted Salary as I don't know salary in Malaysia for my applied job. I also did not mention my interest in my resume as my interest is quite wide.

Thanks before thumbup.gif Looking for constructive criticism even if it's blunt and/or long. Sorry if my question is ridiculous as transitioning from one continent to another is quite a huge jump for me.

This post has been edited by EXBahamut: Feb 17 2017, 05:26 AM
Ken.B
post Feb 23 2017, 09:02 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

Dear all, appreciate your kind advise.

I'm in marketing for a manufacturer. I managed to increase my sales by 2-3% yoy only despite one of the key account has reduce their order drastically, which is something out of our control they are our ODM customer. Would it be wise to put everything in the resume? My intention is to show that although our key account reduce orders, I'm able to find new sales via sound marketing tactics & plan.
hlyh1230
post Mar 11 2017, 08:17 PM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(Ken.B @ Feb 23 2017, 09:02 AM)
Dear all, appreciate your kind advise.

I'm in marketing for a manufacturer. I managed to increase my sales by 2-3% yoy only despite one of the key account has reduce their order drastically, which is something out of our control they are our ODM customer. Would it be wise to put everything in the resume? My intention is to show that although our key account reduce orders, I'm able to find new sales via sound marketing tactics & plan.
as long as you can showcase yr ability, include them in the resume. if you are asking whether putting everything in the resume is wise, I'd say put relevant information based on the job that you apply.
hlyh1230
post Mar 11 2017, 08:25 PM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(86Aries @ Feb 9 2017, 06:44 PM)
Hi all, I've been working in this company for 9 years and started from the bottom. When writing for resume, should I list down my job scope since the beginning? I've stopped doing some of the task for years (mostly ad hoc tasks), is it still necessary/relevant? Also should I mention my timeline...as in which year I got promoted?

One more, if i want to include my picture, can I just use the picture I took using my mobile?

Thank you for the feedback.
ya you could write it in your timeline.
if the picture is clear n looks professional enough, why not?
Financier
post Mar 15 2017, 11:04 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

Anyone care to review my CV? Thx. Will PM
zuhaili87
post Mar 29 2017, 10:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,094 posts

Guys, is it a must to put Language in my resume? I only know malay and english. Should i put it?

71 Pages « < 63 64 65 66 67 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0258sec    0.52    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:23 PM