Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
134 Pages « < 129 130 131 132 133 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The University of Nottingham - Malaysia Campus v3,, Best University in Malaysia so Far

views

tanjinjack
post Jun 3 2011, 10:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(XxAC3xX @ Jun 3 2011, 09:58 PM)
hello guys, i have a few questions hope u guys cn answer.

Does the tuition fee of rm36500 for engineering inclusive of all the fees eg miscellaneous fee, books, registration fee etc? i hope theres no hidden charges here n thr lol

everything including accomodation seems to be so expensive, i wonder do u guys feel the money spent worth it?
No, no library fee, no exam fee, no security fee, no lab fee etc.
I only recalled paying for my lab coats and safety boots (which I can't assume them to supply to us).
Oh, I also pay for my library fines!

Even for printing credits, you get RM50 each year unless you seriously overspent.

This post has been edited by tanjinjack: Jun 3 2011, 10:10 PM
DJFoo000
post Jun 3 2011, 10:16 PM

Really? That's the best reply you can come up with?
2,996 posts

QUOTE(XxAC3xX @ Jun 3 2011, 09:58 PM)
hello guys, i have a few questions hope u guys cn answer.

Does the tuition fee of rm36500 for engineering inclusive of all the fees eg miscellaneous fee, books, registration fee etc? i hope theres no hidden charges here n thr lol

everything including accomodation seems to be so expensive, i wonder do u guys feel the money spent worth it?
Books buy yourself.

Club fees also need pay yourself.
XxAC3xX
post Jun 3 2011, 10:17 PM

Casual
380 posts

QUOTE(tanjinjack @ Jun 3 2011, 10:10 PM)
No, no library fee, no exam fee, no security fee, no lab fee etc.
I only recalled paying for my lab coats and safety boots (which I can't assume them to supply to us).
Oh, I also pay for my library fines!

Even for printing credits, you get RM50 each year unless you seriously overspent.
by "no" u mean INCLUSIVE or NOT INCLUSIVE in the rm36500?
redhibiscus
post Jun 3 2011, 11:27 PM

24 posts

If you had a choice between a single, ensuite on-campus room and a single, Superior A ensuite room in Edu Square (both roughly the same rate), which one would you pick and why? Thanks! smile.gif

This post has been edited by redhibiscus: Jun 3 2011, 11:28 PM
viko3009
post Jun 4 2011, 01:11 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(crane @ Jun 2 2011, 10:22 PM)
Can anyone clarify,
What is a Charter Engineer?
What are the steps to qualify as a Charted Engineer?
In the United Kingdom, a Chartered Engineer is an engineer registered with Engineering Council UK (the British regulatory body for engineers). Contemporary Chartered Engineers are master's degree-qualified and have gained professional competencies through training and experience. The formation process (academic + internship / apprenticeship / graduate training + peer reviewed professional practice) of a Chartered Engineer spans a minimum of 8–12 years. The title Chartered Engineer is protected by civil law but the practice of engineering has no legal restrictions in the UK. With over 180,000 registrants, it is one of the most recognizable international engineering qualifications with registrants in many countries.

(source : wikipedia)

simply, its almost the same as BEM, but its known as ECU and instead of just being recognized by malaysia, charter engineers are acknowledged globally. and the process is more complex rather than the normal BEM requirement of only 4 years of study.

This post has been edited by viko3009: Jun 4 2011, 01:26 AM
dnv
post Jun 4 2011, 01:14 AM

2 posts

can anyone give me some sort of feedback on the bachelor of arts in international relations. it would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Cottoncandyclouds
post Jun 5 2011, 04:23 AM

Casual
374 posts

Muahahhaha Back with the second part

Environment

General Rules and Regulations

The accommodation management (Perinitis Kencana in my case) incorporates a huge seriatim of rules in your rental contract in which a few of them may appear very inhibitory to some; the regulations they expect students abide by, nostalgically, remind me of those imposed by conservative school dormitories:

1) The rooms are strictly for single occupancy only ( which is very reasonable )
2) No guests are allowed to stay overnight, not even your family members, and anyone caught doing such will be considered as trespassers
3) Males are strictly prohibited from stepping into female rooms, thus ruling out any possibility of the management even allowing you to spend any time there
4) Usage of speakers are not allowed lest you unnecessarily interrupt your studious dorm mates
5) No non halal perishables allowed into premises
6) If you fail to make an appointment with the management to have cleaners clear up your pig sty every fortnight, they will check your room
7) Declaration of personal electrical appliances and they will conduct spot checks sporadically
8) No parties
and blablabla....

Failure to abide by supposedly entails very serious consequences like immediate expelling and questionable fines.

In retrospect dorm regulations are restrictive but enforcement is beneficially lax, and a few of the rules seem quite toothless. For example, it is impossible to monitor who and what goes into your room since males and females occupy the same premises. You are not allowed to hold parties in the common kitchen, but the management does not explicitly prohibit other unconventional parties like LAN parties and 'dinner' parties (XDDDDDDD). Ditto the previous post about smuggling in of non declared electrical appliances. However if anyone in the premises makes a formal complaint then you will be checked on.

Its important to emphasize that I described some rules as seemingly quite toothless and not toothless per se because regulations are here to facilitate peace and order. I don't want to be accused of encouraging rule breaking. You could probably say that they are to be treated as general guidelines than imperial decrees and prohibitions. Below the surface, everything here is still subject to reasonableness icon_rolleyes.gif

Certainly nobody expects the management to keep us in line like school children; we are university students after all and I guess everyone is expected to display some form maturity when it comes to personal conduct. Nearly all of us here use our computer speakers, which to me is quite acceptable, but what really crosses the boundaries of appropriateness is blasting them at night with your windows open ( like the stupid jerks living on the floor above mine).

There is one toothless bite though, and thats (6). I've never made and appointment with them (I prefer to clean my own room) and I have yet to hear or see any signs of disapproval. And yeah, no spot checks so far, lucky me flex.gif

General Room Condition

Don't expect the room to come with any fancy embellishments. But do expect the room to be:

1) Very minimalistic, in a good way: Table, two chairs, squeaky bed ( that according to a certain member many pages prior can fit two people laugh.gif ), mirror, cupboard, shelves and bedside drawer. The room was quite clean upon my arrival and everything was checked twice by the management to make sure everything was functional, so no qualms bout that.

2)VERY HUMID!

Within weeks of moving in, some of my belongings started to have suspicious green flecks of abomination. The air is so humid due to poor ventilation that your bedsheets, pillows and anything made with fabric will reek with malodour pretty quickly. In fact the air here is so wet, you may see a layer of moisture covering the flooring outside of your room every morning. To avoid getting your stuff covered will mildew, you'd do well by placing two dehumidifiers in your room, one in the cupboard where you hang your clothes and one on your table. Mine were full with water to the brim after three weeks ohmy.gif

3) VERY HOT!!!!!

A small rotating fan is installed in every room, which is incompetent at best. Air ventilation and circulation here is very poor, so it will get super stuffy at certain times of the day. The temperature in my room was significantly warmer than that of outside (setting the fan at full speed barely helps; doesn't lower the heat and fills me with paranoid thoughts that the fan might detach itself from the wall dry.gif)

In fact the heat was so bad I suffered from bouts of rashes o-o

What helped alleviate that was opening the door and windows for the heat to escape, so a cooler room is regrettably at the expense of privacy. Alternatively you can sneak in a portable stand fan nod.gif

4) Probably infested with insects and lizzies

I have managed to identify two types of ants that regularly raid my room.

Black Carpenter Ants:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_carpenter_ant
Malaysian Red Ants: http://www.google.com.my/search?q=malaysia...iw=1366&bih=667

Black Carpenter ants come into your room to forage food, regardless of whether you keep any food or not in your room. They're the huge black ones.
Malaysian red ants are those that ambush your room if you happen to store edibles and and usually come en masse.

Both also damn annoying. So don't keep food in your room, especially if they are exposed to air because they certainly beckon ants of both types. Ants in my room station themselves around my AIRTIGHT containers, and usually wait for the right moment to breach the forbidden gold mine XD

Lizards hang around on my walls at night, in fact right above my head. I get so scared that I can't sleep sometimes. A whole family of them cohabitate with me, baby and all. The poo everywhere and irritate me more than ants because I can't get rid of them. mega_shok.gif

Other Issues

Internet

Slow as hell. Took 30 minutes to download a 3mb file. Only 128 kbps.
Its a public net work so security is questionable. I refrain from downloading games or visit fishy sites on the computer I bring to my dorm, and limit myself to only using staples like FB, mail, msn and lyn, but I got attacked by some really strong assed virus. So I brought my dad's lappie to the dorm, and within 3 days of usage (similarly limiting myself to only 3 sites without downloading anything, no file transfer from any source), the system was also overwhelmed by a similar malware. I don't want to point fingers and jump to conclusions....

Since then I have stopped using the dorm's arbitrary internet connection. Celcom (Y)

Nolife(s):Pranksters, thieves and the undead

My friends and I have been pranked a few times by some random douchebag that goes around knocking doors at 4-5 am. Its difficult to describe that rage you feel when you have to get up from sleep, open your door to see nobody there. And worst of all they do it repeatedly! You go back to bed and they knock again!!

Creepy and agitating. So my advice is to ignore....if you live in a single shared bathroom like me, lock the main door.

The undead is what I label students who refuse to sleep at night and can't resist the temptation to make that known to other inhabitants who have reasonably slept. They walk around, laugh, wail, howl, bark, meow, quack, moan, act loud, are inconsiderate, drunk, groggy and emit incoherent mess of weird noises ....totally dislike them.

There have been unfortunate cases of theft happening to residents....I think this problem spawns from the fact it is very difficult to monitor who goes in and out of rooms and corridors. So I guess the usual precautionary steps like locking your doors and windows are very important......valuables (perceived or authentically valuable tongue.gif) should be kept out of sight, including your bras and knickers. unsure.gif

I never keep my food in the common room kitchen fridge. Notes with red ink saying " WHO STOLE MY PEANUT BUTTER?!?!?!" pinned on it are enough to discourage me.

These people should totally get a life. How do you kill someone who has no life?

Cleanliness

Perintis Kencana's cleaners clean the corridors and kitchens pretty frequently, and at one point it was daily, and during that point everything was nearly spanking clean. But there are some fools that destroy that moment of bliss by leaving used utensils and food scraps on counters for buggies and the likes to feast on. And those irresponsible people who hold their LAN parties there occasionally leave their trash behind (coke bottles, ciggies etc). Complete eyesore!

Right now, the cleaners are so busy checking everyone out, they've not cleaned the place for more than a week. The premises look as if a tornado ripped through a rubbish dump. Not exaggerating. Some buggers sweep their dust out of their room and onto the corridor....out of sight, out of mind. tongue.gif

Insects revisited

The period after and preceding rain is mating time for ants. You will probably see a whole colony of single male and female winged ants getting snuggly around fluorescent lights installed within the premises. DAMN MANY!!!!

Millipedes usually come out for a stroll in the morning. You may see them crawling around paths when the temperature is joyfully cool, which is also apt for human strolling. Beware cus you might step on one!

This post has been edited by Cottoncandyclouds: Jun 7 2011, 03:17 AM
DJFoo000
post Jun 5 2011, 01:35 PM

2,996 posts

^lol. Me personally moved out early because some idiot banged on my door so damn hard it cracked. No joke.
redhibiscus
post Jun 5 2011, 09:55 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(dnv @ Jun 4 2011, 01:14 AM)
can anyone give me some sort of feedback on the bachelor of arts in international relations. it would be most helpful.

Thanks.
It looks as though very few arts students post on this thread. sad.gif

What's Edu Square like? Would appreciate feedback from someone who's stayed there. Thanks.
transhumanist92
post Jun 6 2011, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
255 posts

does nottingham accept engineering diploma from other institutions?
hellriser
post Jun 6 2011, 02:21 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

^diploma holders are accepted on case by case basis.
Envoy
post Jun 6 2011, 04:47 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

any1 have a pic of on campus room?
XIII
post Jun 7 2011, 12:14 AM

Getting Started
165 posts

Dude, are they seriously considering putting double decker beds in single rooms?
lol I'm not sure how they gonna fit 2 desk n closets in there.

SGSuser
post Jun 7 2011, 12:21 AM

In your way
2,423 posts

single room to accomodate 2 person? what a stupid idea
Cottoncandyclouds
post Jun 7 2011, 12:29 AM

Casual
374 posts

I received the survey link too. Heat here is enough to make anyone a thirsty frothing rabid. Two people canned in a cupboard drawer?

NAH

This post has been edited by Cottoncandyclouds: Jun 7 2011, 03:23 AM
tanjinjack
post Jun 7 2011, 12:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(SGSuser @ Jun 7 2011, 12:21 AM)
single room to accomodate 2 person? what a stupid idea
Double the fun?
Oh, I mean the management counting the money.
Cottoncandyclouds
post Jun 7 2011, 12:35 AM

Casual
374 posts

Unless they throw in free air con

This post has been edited by Cottoncandyclouds: Jun 7 2011, 12:41 AM
cybershaun
post Jun 7 2011, 09:24 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

Is it possible to walk from Edu Square to campus? icon_question.gif

Is this thread quieter than usual because of the summer hols? unsure.gif
tanjinjack
post Jun 7 2011, 10:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,122 posts

QUOTE(cybershaun @ Jun 7 2011, 09:24 PM)
Is it possible to walk from Edu Square to campus?  icon_question.gif

Is this thread quieter than usual because of the summer hols?  unsure.gif
Yes, possible, in fact very viable. They are in TTS5 after all, nearest to the bridge to uni.

No idea why is it quieter. But expect it to grow more busy as Sept comes, our main intake!
DJFoo000
post Jun 7 2011, 11:08 PM

2,996 posts

I've seen a few double decker single rooms in Pangkor. As if the number of troublemakers in the halls is not enough.

134 Pages « < 129 130 131 132 133 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0509sec    0.47    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:43 PM